Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2009-03-24 5:37 PM
in reply to: #1856701

User image

Master
Small Town
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group- CLOSED
White Steve - Make it match!  New seat, new season!

2009-03-24 5:43 PM
in reply to: #2037825

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

JHagerman - 2009-03-24 3:37 PM White Steve - Make it match!  New seat, new season!

And new bike... This is all new for me... I am ready to race, although we have junkie weather, and I don't have the miles in me yet.... I am a firm believer in you need to look good if you can't race good... That is why I have to look my best!!!!

2009-03-24 5:45 PM
in reply to: #2037839

User image

Master
Small Town
Ahh nice, I didn't know it was a new bike!  Yeah, you gotta make it match.
2009-03-24 6:00 PM
in reply to: #2037843

User image

Expert
B'ham
I'd say white too
2009-03-24 6:33 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
It'll only be white for 1 day though! dirt man dirt...have to think of the dirt.
2009-03-24 7:19 PM
in reply to: #2037905

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Great minds think alike Steve, I just put pretty much the same saddle on my road bike.  You must get white bar tape to match.

For cleaning the tape pick up some Simple Green, supposed to work wonders, will be doing that this week.  Right now too much of a pain with the road bike, I am using the front wheel on my tri-bike until I pick up a new wheel.  Also instead of wearing down the PR3's I am using the rear wheel from my road bike on the trainer.

LOL, I have bike parts all over the place now.

2009-03-24 7:21 PM
in reply to: #2037973

User image

Champion

Oh, also just registered for my first marathon. 

and debating on whether or not to do a 1/2 marathon 2 weeks after the marathon.  2 neighborhood families and mine are going to outer banks during the marathon there, wife and 2 neighbors will be running the full and I was going to drink but thinking maybe I want to do the 1/2 since we are down there.

2009-03-24 8:35 PM
in reply to: #2037980

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
dalessit - 2009-03-24 7:21 PM

Oh, also just registered for my first marathon. 

and debating on whether or not to do a 1/2 marathon 2 weeks after the marathon.  2 neighborhood families and mine are going to outer banks during the marathon there, wife and 2 neighbors will be running the full and I was going to drink but thinking maybe I want to do the 1/2 since we are down there.

Congrats on the marathon.  You will have a great experience.

I've missed most of today's posts due to workload, but I had to give my two cents on this one.  If you are going for the marathon, trying to do your best, I would stick to drinking the day of the half marathon.  You have no idea how ripped up you can get from that effort.  I usually take at least five days off and then do a reverse taper for two weeks.  Trying to race on those legs is harder than you think and you will be past peak.

I did the Fox Cities Marathon and four weeks later MCM and it was TOUGH! Legs were toast, HR through the roof most of the run, etc..

At least think about it.....of course the other option is to drink while doing the half marathon!

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-03-24 8:36 PM
2009-03-25 7:53 AM
in reply to: #2038149

User image

Champion

Went to a masters class today, made things a bit better for the swim.  Felt good also to see that I was faster than the first few lanes of people there.

Anyone have anything interesting going on today?

2009-03-25 8:02 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Congrats on the new bike Jeremy. Looks sweet.

White tape Steve-O

2009-03-25 9:17 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

White bar tape it is....

Trevor the tape won't ever get dirty... I won't take the bike out if there is any chance that IT would get dirty, let alone the bar tape.... I respect her too much to just sling her through the mud like that (Tony thanks for the simple green idea!)

2009-03-25 9:35 AM
in reply to: #2038849

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
swbkrun - 2009-03-25 8:17 AM

White bar tape it is....

Trevor the tape won't ever get dirty... I won't take the bike out if there is any chance that IT would get dirty, let alone the bar tape.... I respect her too much to just sling her through the mud like that (Tony thanks for the simple green idea!)

Good idea..Treat her right, and she'll treat you right.

Snowing here today..Counting the days until Florida(montreal on Friday, Florida Saturday for a week) I found this store down there called "Runners Depot." Get some new shoes, and maybe a tri shirt down there chep, cheap. Even with 20% exchange rate, it'll still be cheaper for us Canucks.

2009-03-25 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Steve, you could always go pink!   Unless you are going to accessorize with white water bottle cages my vote is keeping with the black.  I don't like the way the dirty white tape looks.  But do you have a white helmet, cuz that would look cool.  Oh hell, just go with pink.

Tony, are you talking about the Outer Banks Marathon? That is a pretty flat one from what I hear. the only hill is a bridge, but it has the potential to be very windy.  However I agree with Suzie that doing a full marathon (and don't forget about the Army 10 miler Wink) all just weeks before would be a bit much.  Go be a fan this time.

2009-03-25 11:13 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I do have a serious question about swimming.  Specifically my pull technique.  Is your hand/arm suppose to be allowed to curve into an S pattern when you pull, or should it stay straight along the side?   I think this is the weakest part of my technique and I am getting frustrated.  I know I am not pulling as hard as I should be because after a long swim workout my lats and back muscles aren't sore.  The good thing is my shoulders aren't bad, but then what the heck am I pulling with?  Help please!
2009-03-25 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2039177

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

tahrens - 2009-03-25 10:13 AM I do have a serious question about swimming.  Specifically my pull technique.  Is your hand/arm suppose to be allowed to curve into an S pattern when you pull, or should it stay straight along the side?   I think this is the weakest part of my technique and I am getting frustrated.  I know I am not pulling as hard as I should be because after a long swim workout my lats and back muscles aren't sore.  The good thing is my shoulders aren't bad, but then what the heck am I pulling with?  Help please!

Same wavelength Tracy....I was going to post something like this. I've noticed when I pull it doesnt feel like I am doing a good job. I watch good swimmers underwater, and it seems like their hand never goes under their body for a pull and just does a pull from the outside. I seem to pull my hand 'off the barrel' like they say, bu ti think it could be a lot stronger hence the 20 strokes/25 m.

Experts where are you?

2009-03-25 12:19 PM

User image

Champion

I think I read a very similar question either here or on ST Tracy and the answer was that a bit of motion is fine on the pull, it doesn't have to be straight back.

But as you can see from my post in the main thread I don't even know how to breathe...

2009-03-25 3:30 PM

User image

Master
Small Town

Took her out for the first time today.  I'm in love!  I'm almost at a loss for words.  So smooth, comfortable and fast.  I totally felt different!  I am impressed with how much of a difference there is... I knew that the new bike would be and feel different, but wow!

So my first TT is this Sunday.  I'm confident after today's ride that I'd be fine.  But the weather for Sunday right now is 40 degrees with rain and maybe some snow.  If the weather forecast doesn't change by Saturday I'm thinking about ditching the TT.  I don't want to, but is it smart for me to do it?  I've only rode in the rain once (an accident as I didn't look at the sky or weather before I left).  The temperature I can prolly handle, but I prefer not to ride in less than 50 degree temps, just because I hate the cold.

I can always just go for a regular ride on Sunday. Anyway, I am considering my options.

2009-03-25 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2039911

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
JHagerman - 2009-03-25 2:30 PM

Took her out for the first time today.  I'm in love!  I'm almost at a loss for words.  So smooth, comfortable and fast.  I totally felt different!  I am impressed with how much of a difference there is... I knew that the new bike would be and feel different, but wow!

So my first TT is this Sunday.  I'm confident after today's ride that I'd be fine.  But the weather for Sunday right now is 40 degrees with rain and maybe some snow.  If the weather forecast doesn't change by Saturday I'm thinking about ditching the TT.  I don't want to, but is it smart for me to do it?  I've only rode in the rain once (an accident as I didn't look at the sky or weather before I left).  The temperature I can prolly handle, but I prefer not to ride in less than 50 degree temps, just because I hate the cold.

I can always just go for a regular ride on Sunday. Anyway, I am considering my options.

IM going to sit on the fence. On one hand, you want to get out there and hit that Cervelo hard. On the other, it its wet and crappy out, you don't want to crash the new girl on her first day out.

2009-03-25 4:45 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Congrats on the beautiful new bike Jeremy.  It's like puppy love! 

I have no new bike to report but did put new tires on my baby for our first outdoor ride of the year (omg, what took me so long! it's california after all!).  The new tires feel incredible, much more grippy when I hit a few gravelly (is that a word?) patches.  They are maybe not going to be as racy as my worn down vredestein tri comps but these Mich pro 3's came highly recommended and I am hoping NOT to slide/crash this year at any races.

Glad to know I can change tires and wheelset easily and quickly, I was rushing to meet my riding buddy.  It is great practice!  FWIW, I love the look of the white seat/white tape, but alas I have all black right now.  I did score a new helmet, since mine had a chunk missing from the last ride of last year...ouch...I got a cool brand new specialized S-works helmet on Craigslist from someone who didn't fit it (half off!)  It fits my noggin just fine Baby blue/ white/ silver--

hope ev1 is working hard!

2009-03-25 4:49 PM
in reply to: #2039177

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

tahrens - 2009-03-25 12:13 PM I do have a serious question about swimming.  Specifically my pull technique.  Is your hand/arm suppose to be allowed to curve into an S pattern when you pull, or should it stay straight along the side?   I think this is the weakest part of my technique and I am getting frustrated.  I know I am not pulling as hard as I should be because after a long swim workout my lats and back muscles aren't sore.  The good thing is my shoulders aren't bad, but then what the heck am I pulling with?  Help please!

Hi Tracy. You should do an S pull with your arms. That allows you to use not only your arm and shoulder muscles but the abdominal lateral muscles as well. Doing that will not only give you a stronger pull but you will do so without more effort.

In another faux pas on my part: Locked my  keys in the truck with all my hockey equipment. Had to borrow another guys car race across town get a house key from my wife at work then back to the house for the spare set and then back to the rink. Took me only 10 minutes to dress compeletely . I'm sure that was a new "PB" for me doing that.

Edited by Redknight 2009-03-25 4:57 PM
2009-03-25 5:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Steve- you should go with white!  I have white and it's still white even after a few rides in NYC dirty rain.  The white looks great on black bikes.  My bike would be even nicer if i had your white seat..  You want to trade seats?

Jeremy- what a great bike..  i have a cervelo too and remember i had the exact same reaction when i rode it for the first time..  They make great bikes.

2009-03-25 5:13 PM
in reply to: #2040093

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Redknight - 2009-03-25 3:49 PM

tahrens - 2009-03-25 12:13 PM I do have a serious question about swimming.  Specifically my pull technique.  Is your hand/arm suppose to be allowed to curve into an S pattern when you pull, or should it stay straight along the side?   I think this is the weakest part of my technique and I am getting frustrated.  I know I am not pulling as hard as I should be because after a long swim workout my lats and back muscles aren't sore.  The good thing is my shoulders aren't bad, but then what the heck am I pulling with?  Help please!

Hi Tracy. You should do an S pull with your arms. That allows you to use not only your arm and shoulder muscles but the abdominal lateral muscles as well. Doing that will not only give you a stronger pull but you will do so without more effort.

In another faux pas on my part: Locked my  keys in the truck with all my hockey equipment. Had to borrow another guys car race across town get a house key from my wife at work then back to the house for the spare set and then back to the rink. Took me only 10 minutes to dress compeletely . I'm sure that was a new "PB" for me doing that.

Rob,Rob,Rob......I would be very afraid if I were you, and when you walked into a room all your family and friends were in there. Could be some type Falling-off-bike-locking-keys-in-car Intervention type thing.
2009-03-25 5:15 PM
in reply to: #2040125

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
trying1 - 2009-03-25 4:01 PM

Steve- you should go with white!  I have white and it's still white even after a few rides in NYC dirty rain.  The white looks great on black bikes.  My bike would be even nicer if i had your white seat..  You want to trade seats?

Jeremy- what a great bike..  i have a cervelo too and remember i had the exact same reaction when i rode it for the first time..  They make great bikes.

Hey Stanley..How did your race go ? Didn't you have one last week?
2009-03-25 8:03 PM
in reply to: #2040164

User image

Extreme Veteran
TrevorC - 2009-03-25 6:15 PM

Hi Trevor, thanks for asking.  It was fun and a huge learning experience.  Sunday was my first ever running only race and it was very crowded.  The width of the road we had access to was around 20 ft wide (i think) and it was roped off for the first 1.5 miles or so, I felt like we were cattle being led to graze.  During the first mile it was difficult to pass anyone because of the limited space and there were some people who were in the wrong start section.  There were people in 5 min, 6 min, 7 min and 8 min mile sections (i was in this section) that should not have been there.  The first mile I ran in 9.5 min.. after the first mile it thinned out a bit and it was much easier to run.  I ended-up averaging just under 8:30 min miles.  The things i learned 1) running outside is a totally different experience, I need to run outside a lot more 2) just like my biking, i need to work on hills (my shins were a little sore going up the steeper and longer hills) 3) trying to pass people takes a lot of energy 4) pacing is much easier when you're running with other people.  There were 5 of us that paced each other during the last 2 miles, they made the run more fun.  Overall it was a great experience.  It made me want to sign-up for another race..  BTW the winner ran 5:06 min miles

2009-03-25 8:54 PM
in reply to: #2040463

User image

Champion
trying1 - 2009-03-25 9:03 PM
TrevorC - 2009-03-25 6:15 PM

Hi Trevor, thanks for asking.  It was fun and a huge learning experience.  Sunday was my first ever running only race and it was very crowded.  The width of the road we had access to was around 20 ft wide (i think) and it was roped off for the first 1.5 miles or so, I felt like we were cattle being led to graze.  During the first mile it was difficult to pass anyone because of the limited space and there were some people who were in the wrong start section.  There were people in 5 min, 6 min, 7 min and 8 min mile sections (i was in this section) that should not have been there.  The first mile I ran in 9.5 min.. after the first mile it thinned out a bit and it was much easier to run.  I ended-up averaging just under 8:30 min miles.  The things i learned 1) running outside is a totally different experience, I need to run outside a lot more 2) just like my biking, i need to work on hills (my shins were a little sore going up the steeper and longer hills) 3) trying to pass people takes a lot of energy 4) pacing is much easier when you're running with other people.  There were 5 of us that paced each other during the last 2 miles, they made the run more fun.  Overall it was a great experience.  It made me want to sign-up for another race..  BTW the winner ran 5:06 min miles

Yep, that tends to happen in run starts, I have the cherry blossom 10 miler coming up in 2 weeks they pack thousands upon thousands of people in for the run, you have to practice your weaving skills.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 73