General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2011-05-22 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3098185

User image

Grant, MI
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread
Congratulations to everyone who had successful workouts this weekend.  I have to say that I felt more confident before my weekend than I do after.  I had done a 25K race last weekend in which I had taken almost a minute off each mile from the year before.  This weekend - not so successful.  I tried swimming in a wetsuit for the first time and felt so constricted that I could not relax for almost 1/2 mile - definitely different than pool swimming.  Saturday am took my first run in hot humid weather (it has been cool up to now) and felt weak and tired the whole time.  Stopped after 10 miles.  Today did a HIM bike preview and had trouble keeping up.  We did discover that my rear brake was rubbing against a tire, but I'm not sure if that was the whole problem or it was the heat again.  I never do great in heat.  Any tricks out there for this?  I don't know if I should train in heat to try to master it, or train during cooler parts of the day so I can actually achieve something.

2011-05-23 6:11 AM
in reply to: #3512878

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
ckunst - 2011-05-22 9:50 PMCongratulations to everyone who had successful workouts this weekend.  I have to say that I felt more confident before my weekend than I do after.  I had done a 25K race last weekend in which I had taken almost a minute off each mile from the year before.  This weekend - not so successful.  I tried swimming in a wetsuit for the first time and felt so constricted that I could not relax for almost 1/2 mile - definitely different than pool swimming.  Saturday am took my first run in hot humid weather (it has been cool up to now) and felt weak and tired the whole time.  Stopped after 10 miles.  Today did a HIM bike preview and had trouble keeping up.  We did discover that my rear brake was rubbing against a tire, but I'm not sure if that was the whole problem or it was the heat again.  I never do great in heat.  Any tricks out there for this?  I don't know if I should train in heat to try to master it, or train during cooler parts of the day so I can actually achieve something.
Ckunst - in Atlanta from here on out we never really have an option to get out of the heat and humidity - we don't really have big temp swings from morning to evening - it is always just hot! If you have cooler mornings, definitely get out in it. I don't like to carry lots of fluids on my person, so all my long runs are built around water fountains and stores - I do take on a good bit of cold fluids and electrolytes in the heat. Getting your core temp down with ice cold fluids is magic!
2011-05-23 6:25 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
I echo all the congrats to everyone for the great training going on in the group - it is inspiring and has been making me really envious for the past 6 weeks! Like Melissa, I just finished up with the semester, which really kept me covered up more than usual. From here on out I should be able to focus pretty solidly on IMLP - very excited about that. My coach says he has a little butt-kicking to do between now and then...

I started off this block of training with a HIM yesterday and wound up first in my age group by a couple of minutes. I did think about LP a couple of times during the run, and really could not imagine doing the run twice. But then again, maybe it won't be 93 degrees on the second loop at LP?

safe training everyone!
2011-05-23 7:01 AM
in reply to: #3512878

User image

ckunst - 2011-05-22 9:50 PM Congratulations to everyone who had successful workouts this weekend.  I have to say that I felt more confident before my weekend than I do after.  I had done a 25K race last weekend in which I had taken almost a minute off each mile from the year before.  This weekend - not so successful.  I tried swimming in a wetsuit for the first time and felt so constricted that I could not relax for almost 1/2 mile - definitely different than pool swimming.  Saturday am took my first run in hot humid weather (it has been cool up to now) and felt weak and tired the whole time.  Stopped after 10 miles.  Today did a HIM bike preview and had trouble keeping up.  We did discover that my rear brake was rubbing against a tire, but I'm not sure if that was the whole problem or it was the heat again.  I never do great in heat.  Any tricks out there for this?  I don't know if I should train in heat to try to master it, or train during cooler parts of the day so I can actually achieve something.

You sound like you're right on track to me. Seriously.  Best to try and hurdle these obstacles now, then a few weeks out from the event.  And that's what you're doing.  It's still May.  Relax.  

With the wetsuit, I've been told by some people to actually pull open the neck and let the water rush in.  This creates a small space of water between you and the suit and 'opens the suit up' making it easier to breathe.  I bet your next OPWS you feel a little less restrictive. 

Every year, when I run in hot humid conditions for the first time, it's like a 'Shock to the System'.  It usually comes out of nowhere, and so I am not prepared with extra fluid or salt, and my worst BONK in Run training happened on a hot humid day that came out of nowhere.  So for me, I've tackled this problem by sometimes running during the hottest, most humid part of the day.  I bring extra gatorade with me in my fuel belt, some S!Caps, I wear a white hat to keep me cool, and I just accept the fact that I am going to be slower per mile given the same effort in cool temps.  Each run in the hottest, humid part of the day I progressively and slowly get stronger, and that gives me confidence that on Race Day I will be fine.  And if I luck out on race day and it is cool, that's just a huge bonus.   So yeah, I would suggest doing a mix of cool running in the morning/evening and runs when it's hot & humid out.

As for struggling on the Bike, where in the middle of Ironman training!! Nobody feels strong and great on every Swim, Bike or Run.  But it sounds like you got through it.  I struggle through plenty of workouts as I am sure do others.  But we get through them and with each workout we make it through, we get stronger and get closer to our goal. 

To be honest, sounds to me like you're right where you're supposed to be at this point.  Keep consistently addressing these obstacles head-on, and I bet by the end of June when you look back to now, you will have conquered them and you will be feeling better and more confident.
2011-05-23 7:03 AM
in reply to: #3513134

User image

TankBoy -

I started off this block of training with a HIM yesterday and wound up first in my age group by a couple of minutes. I did think about LP a couple of times during the run, and really could not imagine doing the run twice. But then again, maybe it won't be 93 degrees on the second loop at LP?

safe training everyone!

Congrats on 1st AG!!!!     Hard work does get rewarded.
2011-05-23 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
TankBoy - 2011-05-23 7:25 AM I echo all the congrats to everyone for the great training going on in the group - it is inspiring and has been making me really envious for the past 6 weeks! Like Melissa, I just finished up with the semester, which really kept me covered up more than usual. From here on out I should be able to focus pretty solidly on IMLP - very excited about that. My coach says he has a little butt-kicking to do between now and then...

safe training everyone!

Way to go!

2011-05-23 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3513756

User image

Regular

All

I am confused. I keep hearing that the ride is 6600ft vertical climbing. 3300ft per loop. I checked the web and some sites say 7800ft.

I then look on mapmyride and it is 2165ft per loop so only (4400ft).

Going to ride two loops this w/e (dodging the thunder storms) but would like to know what it really is. Rode it last year and I know the Bears are out to get you….

Aside - looking like everyone's training is going very well. I hope the injuries stay away. I just took 2 weeks off for my hamstring and it still hurts :-(

2011-05-23 4:44 PM

Veteran
TankBoy - 2011-05-23 7:25 AM I echo all the congrats to everyone for the great training going on in the group - it is inspiring and has been making me really envious for the past 6 weeks! Like Melissa, I just finished up with the semester, which really kept me covered up more than usual. From here on out I should be able to focus pretty solidly on IMLP - very excited about that. My coach says he has a little butt-kicking to do between now and then...

safe training everyone!

Holy crap! NICE WORK Rusty! That's awesome! - And welcome back... hadn't seen you posting in a while I don't think! Must have been training hard!

Didn't realize we had so many podium finishers in this group! Very inspiring

2011-05-23 10:01 PM
in reply to: #3513168

User image

Grant, MI

Dream Chaser and TankBoy - thanks for the advice and encouragement and congratulations TankBoy on taking 1st in HIM! WOW!

The encouragement has been very helpful because between hearing of how well everyone is doing and how unsuccessful I felt I this weekend, I was feeling very insecure.  But I will keep working and expect things to improve.

I did try pulling out on my neck and letting the cold water in before starting today and it did help reduce feelings of being constrained.  It was good to have one less thing to bother me because I needed to concentrate on being able to breathe with windy conditions and choppy waters.  I can see that in addition to building endurance, one needs to get practice in a variety of conditions in order to be prepared.  I guess I need to welcome less than optimum conditions as opportunity for improvement.

Keep up the good work everyone.

2011-05-24 6:48 AM
in reply to: #3514548

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
RJohnson1979 - 2011-05-23 5:44 PM

safe training everyone!

Holy crap! NICE WORK Rusty! That's awesome! - And welcome back... hadn't seen you posting in a while I don't think! Must have been training hard!

Didn't realize we had so many podium finishers in this group! Very inspiring

thanks Ryan - have to admit I am a little behind in training - between work and a nagging cold that eventually turned into bronchitis (I know - I shouldn't have ignored it) I have been really unplugged. I am back on, and caught up with the group. Now I just have to find the time to get my BT training logs up to date. It seems like everyone in the group is getting some major volume in - I have not yet started my ramp up and I will admit that has me a little nervous. Hope it is not too late! Yesterday was a scheduled recovery day, today is a 1:15 unstructured bike to see how the legs are feeling after Sunday's race. Then talk with the coach this afternoon to see what is next. Sounds like I am going to ramp it up pretty quickly though. Hard to believe that we can count our remaining long runs and rides on two hands now - it feels like I have not even begun to train - YIKES!

2011-05-24 7:43 AM

Veteran
TWO MONTHS TO GAME TIME! Can't believe it has been 10 months since we officially made the commitment to do this! I'm thinkin the next two months are going to be awesome! (and hard!)

2011-05-24 7:48 AM

User image

Hey fellow BT LP Peeps, one of our LP training partners Jay (acumenjay) got a special delivery yesterday!

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=127552 
2011-05-24 8:10 AM
in reply to: #3515410

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Dream Chaser - 2011-05-24 8:48 AMHey fellow BT LP Peeps, one of our LP training partners Jay (acumenjay) got a special delivery yesterday!

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=127552 

WOW fantastic Jay! Congratulations to you and the rest of your family!

2011-05-24 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3515395

User image

Champion

RJohnson1979 - 2011-05-24 6:43 AM TWO MONTHS TO GAME TIME! Can't believe it has been 10 months since we officially made the commitment to do this! I'm thinkin the next two months are going to be awesome! (and hard!)

Is it weird that I have a clinical exam in 2 hrs and I am more terrified about IMLP at the moment being 2 mo. out than doing my exam?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha. This week is mainly recovery from the past few weeks and I'm moving to Vancouver on the weekend for the summer. Next week is a bit of a build back up and I'm taking off to Des Moines for the weekend. Doing a sprint with my bf there...so hopefully I can get a few SBR's in as well to keep my volume up. Then back to Van for 2 weeks, back to Edmonton for 2 weeks for an elective, back to Van and IMLP...back and forth, back and forth. I'm determined to maintain my training schedule!

2011-05-24 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3514058

User image

Master
White Plains NY
blackchr05 - 2011-05-23 2:05 PM

All

I am confused. I keep hearing that the ride is 6600ft vertical climbing. 3300ft per loop. I checked the web and some sites say 7800ft.

I then look on mapmyride and it is 2165ft per loop so only (4400ft).

Going to ride two loops this w/e (dodging the thunder storms) but would like to know what it really is. Rode it last year and I know the Bears are out to get you….

Aside - looking like everyone's training is going very well. I hope the injuries stay away. I just took 2 weeks off for my hamstring and it still hurts :-(

I wouldn't worry too much about the elevation #'s. Everyone has to do the same elevation

2011-05-24 8:42 AM

User image

Congrats everyone on great race results!!!

I also had the Jerseman HIM this Sunday and finished with 5:29:33.  Very glad to see the improvement from the prior HIM by 36 minutes. Can't stop eating, just keep feeling hungry even right after a full meal.  

Edited by igorkiev 2011-05-24 8:43 AM

2011-05-24 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3515410

Veteran

Dream Chaser - 2011-05-24 8:48 AM Hey fellow BT LP Peeps, one of our LP training partners Jay (acumenjay) got a special delivery yesterday!

Congratulations Jay!

2011-05-24 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3515565

Veteran
igorkiev - 2011-05-24 9:42 AM

I also had the Jerseman HIM this Sunday and finished with 5:29:33.  Very glad to see the improvement from the prior HIM by 36 minutes. Can't stop eating, just keep feeling hungry even right after a full meal.  

Nice work man - Awesome time and improvement!

2011-05-24 11:07 AM
in reply to: #3515923

User image

RJohnson1979 - 2011-05-24 11:46 AM
igorkiev - 2011-05-24 9:42 AM

Nice work man - Awesome time and improvement!

Thanks Ryan!!! Looks like we're both in the same time bracket. I am basing it on your solid 5:33

2011-05-24 4:08 PM
in reply to: #3515532

User image

Regular

Was intersted in elevation so that i could do some training rides round NYC that are equal or more...    Riding LP this w/e but have not invested in garmin so stick with map my ride.

And as i`m now riding a TT for the first time ever, i do not have the comfort (in many ways!!!) of my regular road bike.

Well done on the Jersyman tri guys - that was my first ever tri, 12 mths ago (do not ask why i started with a HIM).    Is there still that nasty hill bit on the run?

2011-05-24 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3516662

User image

blackchr05 - 2011-05-24 5:08 PM

Was intersted in elevation so that i could do some training rides round NYC that are equal or more...    Riding LP this w/e but have not invested in garmin so stick with map my ride.

And as i`m now riding a TT for the first time ever, i do not have the comfort (in many ways!!!) of my regular road bike.

Well done on the Jersyman tri guys - that was my first ever tri, 12 mths ago (do not ask why i started with a HIM).    Is there still that nasty hill bit on the run?

Thanks man.  Yeah, the same exact course as it was the last year and the nasty hill around mile 9-10 is really takes a bite out of you.  Still, nothing compared to Lake Placid run course.

2011-05-24 4:35 PM

Veteran

Will anyone else be in Lake Placid this weekend? I'll be there this Friday through Monday! Does anyone have any tips for a successful training weekend up there!?

Thanks!

Ryan

2011-05-24 6:09 PM

User image

Buffalo, NY

While I've never ridden the course with a garmin before I have seen a site with garmin data validating the 6600ft number.  I'll look around and post it if I can find the site again.

2011-05-25 9:07 AM

User image

Master
White Plains NY

Harriman State Park can get you some elevation and climbing similar to Lake Placid.

2011-05-25 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3517721

User image

Regular

Thanks all,

I think I have figured it out.  Map My Ride has elevation of 2200ft per loop.  4400ft in total.  But it only classifies a climb as something longer than 500m and great than 3%.  Maybe that is where the other 2200ft comes from?!?!?!?....    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/34799332

I rode it last year and did not think it was that bad…   Maybe I was just fit (and only rode one loop and did not run a marathon after wards, nor swim 2.4miles before hand for that matter).

Ryan, may see you on the road.  I'm going to start my ride on Sat between 7-8am (weather depending).  Spending a couple days up there with the fiance - camping.  May go for a swim Monday morning (the only sunny day in the forecast).

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 112