BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2012-05-02 2:39 PM
in reply to: #4186653

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD
Asalzwed - 2012-05-03 3:30 AM
bcraht - 2012-05-02 2:11 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-05-02 12:01 PM

I know it's Wednesday but, can we talk about the weekend? Too soon? Oh well! I am racing this weekend!!! Woooohooooo! It's been forever since I last raced. I think a 5K back in February or something, and that hardly counts!

Anyway, I am doing a 12K. The lilac Bloomsday, which is pretty high up there in terms of peoples bucket lists for "to do" races.  It has about 50K runners (yes, you read correctly) and also a great Elite Field (all the usual Kenyan suspects.) I think I read Amy Hastings will be there (who finished 4th in the Olympic Marathon Trials.)

This will be my first time racing this distance, so it should be exciting!

Past noon on Wednesday, which means on the backside of the week, so not too soon to talk about weekend!  Excited for you!

Oooh I like how you think!

Also, it must be noted there is a hill called "Doomsday Hill" This is going to be so much fun! 

You are one sick and very awesome lady. Tuck in behind the Kenyans, Russians and Japanese and hang on for dear life. You can do it!!!

GOOOO SALTY!

2012-05-02 2:44 PM
in reply to: #4126290

User image

Melon Presser

So I got this e-mail from Sheila T, who, out of the goodness of her heart and Lord knows why, as if she didn't have more important stuff to do, continues to mentor me:

"Be careful as you get back to training after having Typhoid again ... it's not a thing to take lightly.  Once it's gone, then give it another few weeks before you do training so you can be sure not to relapse."

Drat. I have a sneaky suspicion the lady can read my mind ... or is it that I'm just that obvious?

2012-05-02 2:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Asalzwed - 2012-05-02 3:30 PM

I know it's Wednesday but, can we talk about the weekend? Too soon? Oh well! I am racing this weekend!!! Woooohooooo! It's been forever since I last raced. I think a 5K back in February or something, and that hardly counts!

Anyway, I am doing a 12K. The lilac Bloomsday, which is pretty high up there in terms of peoples bucket lists for "to do" races.  It has about 50K runners (yes, you read correctly) and also a great Elite Field (all the usual Kenyan suspects.) I think I read Amy Hastings will be there (who finished 4th in the Olympic Marathon Trials.)

Past noon on Wednesday, which means on the backside of the week, so not too soon to talk about weekend!  Excited for you!

Also, it must be noted there is a hill called "Doomsday Hill" This is going to be so much fun! 

I think you are a masochist.  But it's an attitude I envy!

2012-05-02 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4186690

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-05-02 2:44 PM

So I got this e-mail from Sheila T, who, out of the goodness of her heart and Lord knows why, as if she didn't have more important stuff to do, continues to mentor me:

"Be careful as you get back to training after having Typhoid again ... it's not a thing to take lightly.  Once it's gone, then give it another few weeks before you do training so you can be sure not to relapse."

Drat. I have a sneaky suspicion the lady can read my mind ... or is it that I'm just that obvious?

History does tend to repeat itself...

2012-05-02 3:12 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
I finally ordered Sheila T.'s book from Amazon.  Although I'm pretty sure that I am so hopeless it will only help me if it is waterproof and bouyant. Wink
2012-05-02 3:13 PM

User image

Elite

time for a swim squad post.....(no hypoxic!)

FINS

200m - 50m free, 50m back x 2
200m - 50m free, 50m breast x 2
200m - 50m back, 50m breast x 2
200m - 25m fly, 25m back, 25m breast, 25m free x 2

NO FINS

4x300 broken up as follows:
100m Left Arm only
200m Breathe Left side

100m Right Arm only
200m Breathe Right side

9 x 100m broken up
100m breathe left side
100m breathe right side
100m breathe every 3

100m cooldown (I skipped this)

So that my manatees was 2.9km and I loved it!  Two new piglets in the lane tonight new to the triathlon sport and have signed up for IM 2013 - new friends!  And i was faster than them...makes me smile every time   For a year I was slowest.

Lots of technique tips from Coach Johnny - squad was once again JoJo's personal training session!

2012-05-02 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4186698

User image

Seattle
ArielLIlB - 2012-05-02 2:46 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-05-02 3:30 PM

I think you are a masochist.  But it's an attitude I envy!

No, no, I just know my strengths. Although I have been training for a downhill marathon (and two very flat half marathons) so other than the fact I cannot avoid hills in any of my Seattle running routes, we shall see how prepared for said doomsday hill I am. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2012-05-02 3:29 PM
2012-05-02 4:44 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Asalzwed - 2012-05-02 2:30 PM

Sounds awesome! And what a great field. I feel lots of energy from it even out here in the prairie.

2012-05-02 4:57 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland

I can't wait to read your race report Salty.  With all the running you've been doing, I think this is going to be a great race for you!!

Well, I was suppose to do a two hour bike ride today and instead I'm on the couch SICK.  Frown

I knew something was coming when I felt my throat scratchy and a bit sore last  night.  I'm totally bummed that this is happening three days before my HM.  Sigh, there is nothing I can do but rest and hope for the best.  

Stay healthy everyone.

2012-05-02 4:58 PM
in reply to: #4186562

User image

Master
Orlando
Asalzwed - 2012-05-02 2:01 PM

it's never too early to talk about the weekend!  Love the name of your race and as long as I'm not doing it, love the Doomsday Hill too

Good luck.

2012-05-02 5:05 PM
in reply to: #4186690

User image

Master
Orlando

What a great mentor, but since you really don't need her advice I think you should pass her off to someone who does - me.

I will say that during today's swim a woman who is usually faster then I am made a comment that I had "smoked" her and asked the coach what happened.  That made my morning.  I also dropped 3-4 strokes off my per length distance per stroke drill.  All in all a good swim

2012-05-02 5:32 PM
in reply to: #4187031

User image

Seattle
amd723 - 2012-05-02 5:05 PM

What a great mentor, but since you really don't need her advice I think you should pass her off to someone who does - me.

I will say that during today's swim a woman who is usually faster then I am made a comment that I had "smoked" her and asked the coach what happened.  That made my morning.  I also dropped 3-4 strokes off my per length distance per stroke drill.  All in all a good swim

W00T w00t! That is great! It sounds like YOU don't her her advice either!

In fact, it sounds like the Manatees as a whole, through consistent practice, are getttttinnnng better! 

2012-05-02 8:52 PM
in reply to: #4186562

User image

Pennsylvania
Asalzwed - 2012-05-02 3:01 PM

Yay, Salty!!  I like the name of the race, and it sounds very prestigious and exciting except for the doomsday hill part.  Early good wishes to you!

Great job on those swim improvements, gang!

Edited by melbo55 2012-05-02 8:54 PM
2012-05-03 2:42 AM

User image

Elite

Well here in Melbourne it's freezing (by our standards) 51 F.  It's been raining the whole day and windy just horrid.  Today is my run day, but I'm feeling a little below average.  It's mummy day so I do the works with Artemis so once I put her to bed around 7.45 I'll put on my skins and lots of layers and head out for a bracing beachside power walk - maybe some running we shall see.

I am supposed to be racing on Sunday - an annual event called Puffing Billy - basically there is a steam train that runs through the hills and for the race you are supposed to race the train from one station to another (13km) - it's a bit cross country and VERY hilly.

I've never done this race before because of shin splints in the past I avoided hills.  I've entered this year though with a friend.  However, the weather forecast is much as it is now, cold and wet - I'm not sure whether to risk the slippery slopes for a fun run, only 4 weeks out from my HIM - don't want to risk injury.

Thought's fellow manatees?

2012-05-03 3:52 AM
in reply to: #4187554

User image

Melon Presser
jobaxas - 2012-05-03 3:42 PM

Well here in Melbourne it's freezing (by our standards) 51 F.  It's been raining the whole day and windy just horrid.  Today is my run day, but I'm feeling a little below average.  It's mummy day so I do the works with Artemis so once I put her to bed around 7.45 I'll put on my skins and lots of layers and head out for a bracing beachside power walk - maybe some running we shall see.

I am supposed to be racing on Sunday - an annual event called Puffing Billy - basically there is a steam train that runs through the hills and for the race you are supposed to race the train from one station to another (13km) - it's a bit cross country and VERY hilly.

I've never done this race before because of shin splints in the past I avoided hills.  I've entered this year though with a friend.  However, the weather forecast is much as it is now, cold and wet - I'm not sure whether to risk the slippery slopes for a fun run, only 4 weeks out from my HIM - don't want to risk injury.

AAAAAAH my ears sproing in alarm and eyes go wide when someone says Melbourne and freezing sweet, sweet Jo. You do have the most wonderful soothing voice, I don't really remember you at the aid station or what you said, but I definitely recognized the voice when I met you again!

There is a wild beauty to running/walking in the rain--try to focus on that and have a good outing anyway tonight!

I'd pass on Puffing Billy--funny I spoke with Joe (cottoneyes) about that race quite a bit, sounds like a blast (literally?) but from the sounds of it, both from him and you and what the conditions will be like, not worth risking your HIM for.

2012-05-03 3:58 AM
in reply to: #4187031

User image

Melon Presser
amd723 - 2012-05-03 6:05 AM

YES! You have graduated from Awesome Swimmer to SSSSSmokin' Awesome Swimmer!

Heh. I am a serious coconut head and apparently it only takes history's greatest athlete yelling at me for me to listen ... but I promise to pass all her good advice on to you, and the Manatees.

I still need to take video of the Competition Doggypaddle Drill! (Just something I personally do that Sheila thought was so cool she's putting it into her clinics ... YES!) Basically it's a variation of her Tarzan drill ... for lazy people like me.

2012-05-03 6:25 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Good day everyone, I hope your day is starting or going or ending well. I started reading through the thread this morning and had to break out notepad and start making notes. Everybody is doing so great, it really does push me to get better, and for that I thank all of you! So here, in no particular order is something for some of you:

Salty - That run sounds like you'll have a blast! I can't wait to see the race report. I have a sneaking suspicion that all races in your area end with a beer tent, but that is a guess on my part.

Yanti - If you can't listen to the world's greatest athlete, who can you listen to? Please continue to rest and recover.

Jo - Every swim workout you post continues to make me feel a variety of things. Awe, jealous, and motivated are a few of them. Wow, you are truly a swim goddess! I think I agree on skipping the Puffing Billy. But it does sound like a fun race, and I would be open to doing it, if the weather cooperated in some way. But I'm not stable, so take anything said with a grain of salt.

Kirk - I hope your bicycle safety talk went as well as it could. If just one of the scouts learned something, then you were successful.

TJ - Get ready for your race, I'm sure you'll do great! It's the start of the season for you, and how can you go wrong when your training included running to Vegas

Kirsten - Awesome job on the swim! Making gains is so cool, it sure gets me through the other days. I'll be really centered on form tonight after all that I've read here in the past few days, thanks for that. Good luck on the visit to the Dr. I'm keeping you in my prayers.

Claire - Get better soon, rest, and recover and don't overstress anything. You'll be ready for your race and either way, do what is best for you! And keep smiling

Ann-Marie - Great job on "smokin'" her. More swim improvement, awesome.

I hope everyone's dog, cat, fish, or children are done puking, sneezing, hacking and generally feeling like crud. And that each one of us has an opportunity to smile today. I leave you today with these words of wisdom from the great philosopher Ron White who said "When life hands you lemons, find someone whose life handed them vodka and have a party!"
2012-05-03 6:49 AM
in reply to: #4187635

User image

Melon Presser

cdban66 - 2012-05-03 7:25 PM  But I'm not stable, so take anything said with a grain of salt.

I leave you today with these words of wisdom from the great philosopher Ron White who said "When life hands you lemons, find someone whose life handed them vodka and have a party!"

That's kind of a prerequisite for being in this group ... You read the thread title lately???

TATER SALAD! Dude, that guy is always drunk. He's hilarious. Super intelligent, too, though, which people don't always get.

2012-05-03 8:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
jobaxas - 2012-05-03 3:42 AM

Well...  On the one hand, you don't want to risk injury but on the other hand, there is not guarantee that the weather for your HIM will be good. 

2012-05-03 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
jobaxas - 2012-05-03 1:42 AM

I agree that if the course may be slick and cause you to injure yourself then you should pass and stay healthy for your HIM.  However if it's just the wet that is bothering you I'd say get out there, your HIM may be wet too!

2012-05-03 9:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I love Ron White! Saw him at a small venue in Hampton, NH a couple summers ago - and he has a filthy mind! I love it.

Unfortuantely, I had a puke incident this morning, heard the yacking sound and then heard the "num num" sound of the cat trying to "help" clean it up by re-eating it. So disgusting. At least I didn't step in it this time, especially where I had just showered Wink

Missed my swim this morning, just feeling so tired. it's been rainy and drizzly for the 3rd day in a row here in Mass., and it really brings me down. Also, I have a meeting in Boston at 7:00 that will likely keep me out late. So, those are my excuses, feel free to rebutt and motive me!

2012-05-03 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Before I head out on my long ride today I thought I'd pop in and say hi. Hi Manatees!

I had a pretty good day swimming yesterday! Not as well as some of you fishies but I was pretty excited about the (percieved) improvement.  I decided to do some 1-arm drills because I've been noticing that my stroke during my breath is a bit awkward. During my 1-arm drills I tried to 1) take shorter breaths so my stroke didn't change and 2) keep my kick consistent.  Well after 200 on each arm I started to do some 100's and incorporate the work i'd just done. Lo and behold my stroke felt SMOOTHER! Also my times for 3X100 got progressively faster! My 100's NEVER get faster as I go! After that it started to drop off again so I just took it easy and tried to hold on to "smooth". I was excited to tell you all because, frankly, nobody else understands!

I won't call it a breakthrough until I can replicate it and, unfortunately, I won't be back in the pool until Monday. Today I have my long ride then spend the day prepping for the trip to Denver.  The trip will be exciting.  I get to see the son that I haven't seen since early September!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great day/evening Manatees!

2012-05-03 9:56 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
jobaxas - 2012-05-03 3:42 AMonly 4 weeks out from my HIM- don't want to risk injury.

What HIM?  Is it your first?  What plan are you following (or are you coached)?  If you are using a plan, how do you like it?

2012-05-03 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4187018

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
cggale - 2012-05-02 5:57 PM

I can't wait to read your race report Salty.  With all the running you've been doing, I think this is going to be a great race for you!!

Well, I was suppose to do a two hour bike ride today and instead I'm on the couch SICK.  Frown

I knew something was coming when I felt my throat scratchy and a bit sore last  night.  I'm totally bummed that this is happening three days before my HM.  Sigh, there is nothing I can do but rest and hope for the best.  

Stay healthy everyone.

Speedy recovery zen zooming your way!

Rest up and run an awesome race!

2012-05-03 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4187566

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-05-03 3:58 AM
amd723 - 2012-05-03 6:05 AM

YES! You have graduated from Awesome Swimmer to SSSSSmokin' Awesome Swimmer!

Heh. I am a serious coconut head and apparently it only takes history's greatest athlete yelling at me for me to listen ... but I promise to pass all her good advice on to you, and the Manatees.

I still need to take video of the Competition Doggypaddle Drill! (Just something I personally do that Sheila thought was so cool she's putting it into her clinics ... YES!) Basically it's a variation of her Tarzan drill ... for lazy people like me.

I don't like to brag or anything but I just so happen to be one of the best doggy paddlers. Ever. I learned to swim at a VERY early age (got accidentally pushed into a pool) and also had the benefit of growing up on a lake. It took YEARS to break my bad habit of doggy paddling, especially because I was so fast at it. Swim coaches had a hard time convincing me freestyle was 'better.'

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  

of 81