BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2011-02-22 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED
Could not run on Sunday because of the ice, ran late to a wild game dinner last night, so I missed my swim.  Thought I could make it all up tonight by doing my own little indoor sprint tri... Wow!  Wolfed down an entire footlong sub after that mid winter insanity....   Speaking of insantiy, ever heard of a Ragnar Relay.  How I got talked into this, not sure.  We (Maria and I both) are racing (running) from Madison, WI to Chicago, IL (200 ish miles) on a relay team on June 10-11.  Wish us luck!

2011-02-22 8:49 PM

Veteran
Very interesting video, please take a minute to watch - Maria

Christopher McDougall - Are we born to run?

http://www.ted.com/talks/christopher_mcdougall_are_we_born_to_run.html
2011-02-22 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3366382

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
stephsprint - 2011-02-22 7:43 AM
amd723 - 2011-02-22 7:32 AM
McFuzz - 2011-02-22 5:34 AM
GmrGirl - 2011-02-21 9:13 PM This has been an up and down month for me both training and attitude.  I don't feel I've progressed as much as I should have, but looking back at my logs they really aren't that bad

Really, pretty good!
Have had to re-evaluate how I do my runs due to ankle ickiness.  It's been a real struggle to get out there at 5am and do the runs.  Have made tremendous break throughs with swimming which wasn't even a goal at the beginning of the year so happy with that.  The biggest break through since joining the group came today.  I haven't had a cigarette since Friday night.  I have gone three whole days without one.  I never thought I could make it through a whole work day without one but I did and it really wasn't even that hard. 

WOOT!!  Major accomplishment!  I underlined the second part because it's important too.  Some of the daunting things we set out to do end up being notsohard after all! 
So that is my big accomplishment for the month - that and breathing while swimming :)

Breathing while swimming is good! 

I think you've had a GREAT month!

x2.  Congrats and the great accomplishments!

x3 You're amazing!

x4  thats huge! You've made it past the biggest hurdle when quitting, showing yourself you can string days without ciggs together. keep on keeping on! I love what Iceman said about the ups and downs and taking the downs in stride. Here are some pats on the back. PAT PAT PAT

discipleguideservice- my trainer did a Ragnar relay last year and I heard a lot about her experience. She's done a ton of races and said that was one of the hardest because of the lack of sleep for 24hrs+
Good luck with it, its definitely a nutzo race!
2011-02-23 6:05 AM
in reply to: #3367942

User image

Longview, Texas
discipleguideservice - 2011-02-22 9:42 PM Could not run on Sunday because of the ice, ran late to a wild game dinner last night, so I missed my swim.  Thought I could make it all up tonight by doing my own little indoor sprint tri... Wow!  Wolfed down an entire footlong sub after that mid winter insanity....   Speaking of insantiy, ever heard of a Ragnar Relay.  How I got talked into this, not sure.  We (Maria and I both) are racing (running) from Madison, WI to Chicago, IL (200 ish miles) on a relay team on June 10-11.  Wish us luck!

Wow!

It looks really insane... but also a lot of fun!!

2011-02-23 6:24 AM
in reply to: #3367942

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
discipleguideservice - 2011-02-22 9:42 PM

Could not run on Sunday because of the ice, ran late to a wild game dinner last night, so I missed my swim.  Thought I could make it all up tonight by doing my own little indoor sprint tri... Wow!  Wolfed down an entire footlong sub after that mid winter insanity....   Speaking of insantiy, ever heard of a Ragnar Relay.  How I got talked into this, not sure.  We (Maria and I both) are racing (running) from Madison, WI to Chicago, IL (200 ish miles) on a relay team on June 10-11.  Wish us luck!

The Ragner Relay here in Miami is HUGELY popular. They run Key Biscayne to Key West. Madtown to Chitown sounds like a good one!
2011-02-23 6:30 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
February. Hmm. Well, I got pretty down about the foot and the virus, but when I look on the calendar I haven't been 'out' that long...it's only 6 weeks. It got me in the pool. so THAT'S good. I'm eating WAY better...have actually lost a couple of pounds. 167 now. So all in all, it's not THAT big a deal, right? I see the doc again tomorrow, cross fingers. 12 hr day at work yesterday, no workout. Have to stop getting down EVERY day I miss.

Net net, I'm swimming, losing weight, and eating well. I'll take it.

BTW I got a road ID for xmas from my spousal unit. Once he discovered I'd go off running without him... smart guy.

2011-02-23 6:58 AM
in reply to: #3366625

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
ingleshteechur - 2011-02-22 8:49 AM
McFuzz - 2011-02-21 12:42 PM

As we close February, take a few minutes to review your 2011 goals.  Are you making (any) progress?  If not, or you're not satisfied with the rate of progress, try things differently.  If so, talk up the success!  It's positive reinforcement (not bragging).  Proof that our goals can happen and our dreams come true.  It's also time to revisit goals.  Maybe you're dealing with an injury that has completely changed your life (inside and outside of triathlon).  It's fair to cross off goals that are no longer important.  It's also fair to refine goals (some) but be careful about goal creep.  If your original goal is to run a 5K (no walking), make sure you can check it off before you start adding "in less than XX minutes" lest you never complete any goal.  (You'll also suffer from "sticky" performance.  So you have one sub-10-minute/mile run and think every single run should thusly be sub-10-minute-miles. )  If you're this type of person, go back 5 months and read what you were doing then. 

I feel like I'm making a TON of progress.  When my recovery workouts used to be my long workouts, I know I've made substantial fitness gains.  I seem to have gone backwards in the butt department though...it's sore again after 2 1/2 hours yesterday and 1 1/2 hours this morning.  Ah well, might be time for Butt Butter!  My workouts have been as consistent as death and taxes--really proud of myself for that.  Haven't missed one yet.  I will have a challenge ahead. Since hubby is starting his softball season Friday (he coaches our high school team) a lot of responsibilities will be shifted to me, including getting my older daughter to a two day softball tourny this weekend in St. George, UT.  I will have to reorganize some workouts and possibly do a few two-a-days to get everything in. 

When I look ahead to my HIM, I still haven't nailed down a time goal--I'm not sure if I should or not.  With this being my first I am just not sure what is a reasonable expectation.  I certainly don't want to finish feeling like 'huh.  Could've pushed harder.'

Another success is that I've been working on nutrition during my longer workouts and finding what works for me.  From running 1/2 marys and marys I know solids do not sit well with me.  A mixture of GUs, Gatorade and water have been working really well.  I don't know if I should experiment with other mixes, or just stick with what I know works for me. Any advice there?

Great job to us all that are committed to our group!  I need to work on getting inspires out though...but I'm cheering for everyone!

You are doing great and experimenting with nutrition is something I'm doing again.  I love Hammer products.  Gatorade has the wrong sugars, I'm told.  Leads to ups and downs in energy.  Hammer HEED (I've used and like) and a thing called Carbo Pro (tasteless, and on the way to me) are good substitutes.   Perpetuem by Hammer is really good and made for longer efforts.  I like the latte flavor becuase it has caffeine which reduces pain and RPE. 

The ultra run relay looks great.

Your hubby loves you with the Road ID.  Kathy always asks if I have it on when I leave to run or bike. I'm O neg, recovering alcoholic and allergic to penicillin, all things rescue will know immediately along with my name and who to call.

2011-02-23 7:10 AM
in reply to: #3368173

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
stephsprint - 2011-02-23 6:30 AM February. Hmm. Well, I got pretty down about the foot and the virus, but when I look on the calendar I haven't been 'out' that long...it's only 6 weeks. It got me in the pool. so THAT'S good. I'm eating WAY better...have actually lost a couple of pounds. 167 now. So all in all, it's not THAT big a deal, right? I see the doc again tomorrow, cross fingers. 12 hr day at work yesterday, no workout. Have to stop getting down EVERY day I miss. Net net, I'm swimming, losing weight, and eating well. I'll take it.

Exactly!!  That's why it's good to regularly pause and look at what you've done.  We are all very sensitive to what isn't going well and it's easy to let the good things slip through the cracks in our mind. 

BTW I got a road ID for xmas from my spousal unit. Once he discovered I'd go off running without him... smart guy.

He was smart enough to ask you to marry him! 
2011-02-23 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3368202

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
McFuzz - 2011-02-23 8:10 AM
stephsprint - 2011-02-23 6:30 AM February. Hmm. Well, I got pretty down about the foot and the virus, but when I look on the calendar I haven't been 'out' that long...it's only 6 weeks. It got me in the pool. so THAT'S good. I'm eating WAY better...have actually lost a couple of pounds. 167 now. So all in all, it's not THAT big a deal, right? I see the doc again tomorrow, cross fingers. 12 hr day at work yesterday, no workout. Have to stop getting down EVERY day I miss. Net net, I'm swimming, losing weight, and eating well. I'll take it.

Steph- I know exactly how this feels, I can be the same way and it can get depressing when I am critical of myself like this while in reality I am making progress. I try to remember the big picture, this is a slow evolution towards higher levels of fitness. Try thinking of it like this; when you miss a day those are rest/recovery days and you can come back strong and rested the next time you work out. I used to work out 6 days a week but now I find I'm way less injury prone and feel more energized if I'm not working out that much.
2011-02-23 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3366625

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY

McFuzz - 2011-02-21 12:42 PM

As we close February, take a few minutes to review your 2011 goals.  Are you making (any) progress?  If not, or you're not satisfied with the rate of progress, try things differently.  If so, talk up the success!  It's positive reinforcement (not bragging).  Proof that our goals can happen and our dreams come true.  It's also time to revisit goals.  Maybe you're dealing with an injury that has completely changed your life (inside and outside of triathlon).  It's fair to cross off goals that are no longer important.  It's also fair to refine goals (some) but be careful about goal creep.  If your original goal is to run a 5K (no walking), make sure you can check it off before you start adding "in less than XX minutes" lest you never complete any goal.  (You'll also suffer from "sticky" performance.  So you have one sub-10-minute/mile run and think every single run should thusly be sub-10-minute-miles. )  If you're this type of person, go back 5 months and read what you were doing then. 

My goal for this winter is to train for my first 1/2 marathon in March. I think its going pretty well, I'm making progress with my running and staying on top of the little aches and imballences that lead to injury. I'm spending time every day stretching and rolling out.  I've been eating better, this is my 3rd week of being off meat and alcohol (well, some alcohol) and have lost a couple of pounds this month which totally exciting. I've been using Fitday.com food tracker and its really helped me get a grip.

Happy workouts everyone!: )

2011-02-23 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3365343

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

McFuzz - 2011-02-21 10:42 AM

OK peeps. 

We're 7 weeks into 2011.  I must confess, February has been brutal for me as a mentor.  A huge snowfall Feb 1-2 and then a couple long days Feb 8-9 left me way behind at work, and that means not so much playtime on BT.  Trying to get decent workouts in and my IM training starts the middle of next month (gulp).  Personally, I'm trying to step up cycling over the next couple weeks so I'm ready for 2-3 hour rides in a month.  Swimming has been good with the coached Saturday morning practices.  Last week, I posted some 100 times close to my best-ever times 2 years ago (when I was swimming a lot more).  Running miles are off with many routes inaccessible from snow.  (I still had a small pile of snow on the sidewalk this morning after a week of 50F weather.

Most of the group is intact, but I feel we've lost a few newer athletes.      I've sent PM's (a couple times) to try getting them back. 

Those of you still here are doing great!  I'm seeing a lot of consistency in most logs, and the traffic in this thread has been good.  Keep up the effort, and keep in touch often. 

I am quite chuffed with my cycling in Feb. I am so glad I joined the Cascade B.C.   My running however has taken a back seat but that's ok as this groin/lower abdominal pain is acting weird, I'm glad I finally have health insurance again (starts March 1st) so I can get checked out. Means I can also start acupuncture and hit the chiropractor, both of these are FULLY COVERED which is awesome   I haven't swam nearly as much as I'd like to, probably because my favourite pool is now closed. I would also like to get to back into strength again, even after a few weeks of that I noticed a difference in doing the other S/B/R things.

All in all my cycling times have improved, slowly but surely and hopefully they'll get better. Getting fitted for my bike has been the best investment ever.  

Not sure how much I'll be able to do while I'm in Scotland, swimming for sure even though the local 50M pool is closed for refurbishment there's plenty of other places nearby. I'm taking my running gear just in case...better not bloody snow.

Oh and I haven't had a cigarette in 23 days.

2011-02-23 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3368338

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I am quite chuffed with my cycling in Feb. I am so glad I joined the Cascade B.C.   My running however has taken a back seat but that's ok as this groin/lower abdominal pain is acting weird, I'm glad I finally have health insurance again (starts March 1st) so I can get checked out. Means I can also start acupuncture and hit the chiropractor, both of these are FULLY COVERED which is awesome   I haven't swam nearly as much as I'd like to, probably because my favourite pool is now closed. I would also like to get to back into strength again, even after a few weeks of that I noticed a difference in doing the other S/B/R things.

All in all my cycling times have improved, slowly but surely and hopefully they'll get better. Getting fitted for my bike has been the best investment ever.  

Not sure how much I'll be able to do while I'm in Scotland, swimming for sure even though the local 50M pool is closed for refurbishment there's plenty of other places nearby. I'm taking my running gear just in case...better not bloody snow.

Awesome.  You are a non smoker!  How does that feel?  Great eh?
2011-02-23 9:04 AM
in reply to: #3368344

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

IceManScott - 2011-02-23 6:42 AM

Awesome.  You are a non smoker!  How does that feel?  Great eh?

It feels great! Although I am coughing up all this crud at the moment, better out than in I guess?

2011-02-23 9:31 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

WOOT Lynne!  23 days!!!!

Have a safe trip to Scotland and back. 

2011-02-23 11:12 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hey there!  Congrats to those that have quit smoking (or cut back a lot)!!  I wish I could get my son to quit, but being 20 years old he thinks he’s invincible and nothing bad will happen to him.  I hope someday he changes his mind. 

I’ve been lazy the last 2 days but overall I think Feb went pretty well for me.  I’m ready for my HM on 3/6, now I just hope the weather cooperates and gives us a good day for a race.  I’ve been thinking a lot about how I’m going to change up my training after the race – concentrating more on swimming/biking/ST and a little less on the running.  I know my body is weak in certain areas so I’d like to work on fixing that, just not really sure how to get started.  I have several books on ST for athletes and I understand the basics of it, but I’m unsure of how to put it together to get the most from it along with the biking and swimming.  I think more about it when I’m ready to get started.

I hope everyone is having a great training week!

2011-02-23 11:14 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Just registered for Marine Corp Marathon!  (October 30th). 

2011-02-23 4:13 PM

User image

Regular
Salem
Thank you for all the inspires and well wishes. I know I have been gone for awhile, but surgery was today. Last week the presurgery physical showed an abnormal EKG and they performed a stress test on Monday. I was a little freaked out by those results, so I felt it would be best to start my serious tri training after the surgery. The stress test took a little while because they couldn't get my heart rate up high enough (I was in too good of shape). The doctors concluded that the results were good and they must have done something wrong with the electrodes or some other aspect of the initial test. The doctor said I should be able to start running again in 3 weeks. He doesn't want my incision to get moist or dirty, so that is why I have to wait 3 weeks. After that, I should be back at the training. Thanks again.

Shawn (typed by my wife, Kerri)
2011-02-23 5:32 PM
in reply to: #3369328

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
srichards428 - 2011-02-23 4:13 PM Thank you for all the inspires and well wishes. I know I have been gone for awhile, but surgery was today. Last week the presurgery physical showed an abnormal EKG and they performed a stress test on Monday. I was a little freaked out by those results, so I felt it would be best to start my serious tri training after the surgery. The stress test took a little while because they couldn't get my heart rate up high enough (I was in too good of shape). The doctors concluded that the results were good and they must have done something wrong with the electrodes or some other aspect of the initial test. The doctor said I should be able to start running again in 3 weeks. He doesn't want my incision to get moist or dirty, so that is why I have to wait 3 weeks. After that, I should be back at the training. Thanks again.

Sending get well FAST vibes your way!!!
2011-02-23 5:35 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
srichards428 - 2011-02-23 4:13 PM Thank you for all the inspires and well wishes. I know I have been gone for awhile, but surgery was today. Last week the presurgery physical showed an abnormal EKG and they performed a stress test on Monday. I was a little freaked out by those results, so I felt it would be best to start my serious tri training after the surgery. The stress test took a little while because they couldn't get my heart rate up high enough (I was in too good of shape). The doctors concluded that the results were good and they must have done something wrong with the electrodes or some other aspect of the initial test. The doctor said I should be able to start running again in 3 weeks. He doesn't want my incision to get moist or dirty, so that is why I have to wait 3 weeks. After that, I should be back at the training. Thanks again.

Good news about your results -get well soon!

Ann-Marie
2011-02-23 5:36 PM
in reply to: #3368679

User image

Master
Orlando
McFuzz - 2011-02-23 11:14 AM

I'm a little jealous; that's one of the marathons I want to run one day.

Ann-Marie
2011-02-23 6:06 PM

User image

Elite

I will wish for a fast forward button for the next three weeks!    Heal up and  you'll be up and runnin' in no time (well, three weeks time anyway!)

2011-02-23 6:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
srichards428 - 2011-02-23 5:13 PM Thank you for all the inspires and well wishes. I know I have been gone for awhile, but surgery was today. Last week the presurgery physical showed an abnormal EKG and they performed a stress test on Monday. I was a little freaked out by those results, so I felt it would be best to start my serious tri training after the surgery. The stress test took a little while because they couldn't get my heart rate up high enough (I was in too good of shape). The doctors concluded that the results were good and they must have done something wrong with the electrodes or some other aspect of the initial test. The doctor said I should be able to start running again in 3 weeks. He doesn't want my incision to get moist or dirty, so that is why I have to wait 3 weeks. After that, I should be back at the training. Thanks again.

Good to hear from you, get well soon!
2011-02-23 6:57 PM
in reply to: #3368679

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
McFuzz - 2011-02-23 12:14 PM

Jealous! 

If you haven't got a room yet, I'd recommend the Sheraton or Marriot in Chrystal City.  There is a subway station and some decent resturants right there.
2011-02-23 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3368338

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Triathlynne - 2011-02-23 9:39 AM

McFuzz - 2011-02-21 10:42 AM

OK peeps. 

We're 7 weeks into 2011.  I must confess, February has been brutal for me as a mentor.  A huge snowfall Feb 1-2 and then a couple long days Feb 8-9 left me way behind at work, and that means not so much playtime on BT.  Trying to get decent workouts in and my IM training starts the middle of next month (gulp).  Personally, I'm trying to step up cycling over the next couple weeks so I'm ready for 2-3 hour rides in a month.  Swimming has been good with the coached Saturday morning practices.  Last week, I posted some 100 times close to my best-ever times 2 years ago (when I was swimming a lot more).  Running miles are off with many routes inaccessible from snow.  (I still had a small pile of snow on the sidewalk this morning after a week of 50F weather.

Most of the group is intact, but I feel we've lost a few newer athletes.      I've sent PM's (a couple times) to try getting them back. 

Those of you still here are doing great!  I'm seeing a lot of consistency in most logs, and the traffic in this thread has been good.  Keep up the effort, and keep in touch often. 

WHAT?? 23 days? You, my friend, are not a smoker. You "don't smoke". You've joined the club! 15 years for me! Gmrgrl doesn't smoke either! Excellent!
2011-02-23 10:51 PM

User image

Del Rio, TX
Yay for those of you with weight loss, that's great!!!!!

Great job on quitting smoking, that's huge, keep it up!!!!

Race finishers, awesome job and I hope you're looking forward to your next one!

Shawn, I hope you heal quickly along with all the others injured at the moment!

Go McFuzzies!!! We're awesome! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106