BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 80

2012-06-19 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4270182

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod
bcraht - 2012-06-19 4:22 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-06-19 2:18 PM
ArielLIlB - 2012-06-19 4:05 PM

Aw, kitty pics!

My little Chloe loves to sleep on her back and talk to you while she lays there, and Wiley has a shoe fetish (you can't see it well, but he is lying on my DH's stinky shoes).  He rubs his face all over my flip flops when take them off. They are such weirdos.

Awwww!!! I love the B&W. Yeah, mine rub their face all over my dogs bed and pretty much anything that smells remotely bad (can we say my running clothes?) and then if it really stinks they open their mouth and just sit there with this "I can't believe I just smelled that" look on their faces

Hahahahah.  That's the Flehmen response.  Opens the Jacobsons organ on the roof of their mouths and allows them to get a rrrrrrrrrreal good whiff. 

HA! It has a name! That never occurred to me(DUUUUH). We just call it "Brack-ing" because of the cartoon character Brack: 

You just made my day. I am google image searching "Flehmen Response" hehehehehehe

Edited by Asalzwed 2012-06-19 4:33 PM

2012-06-19 4:56 PM
in reply to: #4212573

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
I don't think I've ever seen my cats do that...
2012-06-19 5:03 PM

User image

Master
Horses do it too--they look even funnier!  TJ, not all cats do it, and some are very subtle, just a slight opening of the mouth.  More often than not, it is when the scent is old or 'faded'.  The Jacobson's organ just helps them 'collect' the smell.  I bet now that you know about it, you will notice your cats doing it. Laughing
2012-06-19 5:07 PM

User image

Master
This about killed me.  I have tears rolling down my face.  Linked from a Flehmen page.
2012-06-19 5:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

DAWWWWW! I like snakies tooo!

This is Big D---now re-named 'Fideo' (Noodle in Spanish---cause she is limp like one)--we donated her to the Zoo's education Dept. she Loves all the attention! The docents all fight over who gets to take her out! Just imagine a bunch of little old, white haired ladies fighting over who gets to take out the 7 foot long snake! It makes me giggle.

In other news, I just took my bike in to get checked out/tuned up--sadly, the lbs is REALLY busy, so I don't have my bike for 2 weeks! It needs a new chain (luck it didn't break--it was VERY close!), and they have to clean out all of the cable housing--I was lucky that I could still switch ANY gears, let alone use my brakes! Anyway, they are replacing both the chain and cassette, the brake pads, and are cleaning and lubing everything---I SHOULD get it back 2-3 days before the next race. In the meantime, I am taking over Clint's bike for training--and for racing if TOTALLY necessary. I just need to switch out pedals (he has toe clips and I have an extra clipless set of pedals)and add another bottle holder. That being said, his bike is a size larger than mineSealed, but it does at least go really fast.

2012-06-19 9:20 PM
in reply to: #4270257

User image

Elite
kgore - 2012-06-19 5:13 PM

DAWWWWW! I like snakies tooo!

This is Big D---now re-named 'Fideo' (Noodle in Spanish---cause she is limp like one)--we donated her to the Zoo's education Dept. she Loves all the attention! The docents all fight over who gets to take her out! Just imagine a bunch of little old, white haired ladies fighting over who gets to take out the 7 foot long snake! It makes me giggle.

In other news, I just took my bike in to get checked out/tuned up--sadly, the lbs is REALLY busy, so I don't have my bike for 2 weeks! It needs a new chain (luck it didn't break--it was VERY close!), and they have to clean out all of the cable housing--I was lucky that I could still switch ANY gears, let alone use my brakes! Anyway, they are replacing both the chain and cassette, the brake pads, and are cleaning and lubing everything---I SHOULD get it back 2-3 days before the next race. In the meantime, I am taking over Clint's bike for training--and for racing if TOTALLY necessary. I just need to switch out pedals (he has toe clips and I have an extra clipless set of pedals)and add another bottle holder. That being said, his bike is a size larger than mineSealed, but it does at least go really fast.

Of all life's critters for some reason snakes don't worry me in the slightest - it's 8 legged creatures that really scare me!

my daughter loves all creatures - great and small.  In fact her dream is to be a zoo keeper (like Bindi Irwin mummy) - I told her I have a triathlon friend who is a zoo keeper!  She was very impressed - wonder if she'll follow this dream....

2012-06-19 9:23 PM
in reply to: #4270622

User image

Elite

Been for a lunchtime run - brrrrr - it's 8 degrees Celsius (46F) and windy so feels a lot colder.  Not often I keep my long sleeves on for a run.  I did 5.7km in 38mins - not Salty standards but I'm impressed!

I'm now having a delicious toasted cheese and tuna sandwich followed by a slab of cheesecake - oh well!

Wind trainer tonight - aiming for 45mins.

Oh excitement, the coach from the tri club called - we are meeting on sunday go through goals, structure a plan and a program - I'm so excited!  Makes it all seem real!  come on Ironman!

2012-06-19 10:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

That's a decent dream to have! I can honestly say that its never boring--not only do I get to SEE wild/exotic animals every day, but I get to feed/train/interact with them too. It is also a dirty, manual labor intense job....but well worth it! 

I always say people should follow their dreams---better to be happy at what you do and satisfied with your career choice, regardless of money--than to be angry, disgruntled, and without hope. I have been there, and I did NOT like it.

2012-06-19 11:23 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Nice kitty pics; not nice snake pics. Icky. I see too many snakes on my rides/runs. I scream almost every time, even when they are just lying there doing nothing (usually because they've been hit by a car and are belly up).

Salty -- I hope you have a great time, even if it is a family vacation.

Yanti -- congrats on the date -- you didn't use that word, but if you were cuddling . . .

That cat thing is just weird -- I'm going to have to look for it in my own sweet princess. (Sorry no pic -- but she looks like a Russian Blue.) http://www.catster.com/cat-breeds/Russian_Blue

Ididn't do much today. I walked the dog for 30 minutes and sat at the pool reading "Into thin Air" telling myself I needed to get out of the chair and do something in the water -- so I got up, cooled off my legs, and went back to my reading. I am loving the book. Still about 2/3s of the way through Crissie's book. She is a little obsessed with descriptions of intestinal functions, no? I know way too much about her regularities and irregularities.

Crazy windy today -- probably one reason I didn't get out and do anything (besides the compulsive reading), easily 50 mph gusts -- but weather.com said 39 mph. Oh . . . that's why I had to stay in my chair reading. Every time I got up, the chair blew away. There. That's my good reason for sitting on my rump.

Back at it tomorrow, easily. Race on Sunday. I've been playing it over and over in my head. I am hoping to improve my time by 20 minutes over last year's time. I was ridiculously slow last year, but it was my first tri ever, and I just didn't know. I crossed the finished line, stopped running and said to myself, "Damn. I still have energy. I could have pushed harder." Live and learn, right?

2012-06-19 11:33 PM
in reply to: #4270745

User image

Master
KansasMom - 2012-06-19 9:23 PM

Nice kitty pics; not nice snake pics. Icky. I see too many snakes on my rides/runs. I scream almost every time, even when they are just lying there doing nothing (usually because they've been hit by a car and are belly up).

Yanti -- congrats on the date -- you didn't use that word, but if you were cuddling . . .

That cat thing is just weird -- I'm going to have to look for it in my own sweet princess. (Sorry no pic -- but she looks like a Russian Blue.) http://www.catster.com/cat-breeds/Russian_Blue

Ididn't do much today. I walked the dog for 30 minutes and sat at the pool reading "Into thin Air" telling myself I needed to get out of the chair and do something in the water -- so I got up, cooled off my legs, and went back to my reading. I am loving the book. Still about 2/3s of the way through Crissie's book. She is a little obsessed with descriptions of intestinal functions, no? I know way too much about her regularities and irregularities.

Crazy windy today -- probably one reason I didn't get out and do anything (besides the compulsive reading), easily 50 mph gusts -- but weather.com said 39 mph. Oh . . . that's why I had to stay in my chair reading. Every time I got up, the chair blew away. There. That's my good reason for sitting on my rump.

Back at it tomorrow, easily. Race on Sunday. I've been playing it over and over in my head. I am hoping to improve my time by 20 minutes over last year's time. I was ridiculously slow last year, but it was my first tri ever, and I just didn't know. I crossed the finished line, stopped running and said to myself, "Damn. I still have energy. I could have pushed harder." Live and learn, right?

If you are racing on Sunday, then holding down the chair is taper, no?  Sounds like a nice relaxing day to me.  I love when I can just sit and read for an afternoon.  Don't do it enough.

2012-06-19 11:48 PM

User image

Master

Truer words were never spoken.  I am learning a lot about myself this week through racing and training.  I think I am holding back everywhere.

When I was training for a marathon, my body did not like it.  I had to do a lot of cross training to stay injury free.  I am very jealous of people like Salty who can run everyday and recovery quickly.  I would be in a full body cast if I did that.  Too hard on my body through sports growing up.  Anyway, I need to remember that basically I am cross training all the time and I can push a little harder, especially on the bike and swim.

So, on my ride tonight, I did so, and it showed in my average speed.  Still slow compared to many of you, but I think it was my fastest non-race so far, and I wasn't going all out.  It was a great ride.  Until IT happened.  I knew it as soon as it happened.  Heard a little click noise and knew something had punctured my tire.  Yep.  A staple.  Sheeeeite.  All right, here we go.  Wheel off no problem, tube out, tube in, inflated all good.  Feeling pretty proud of myself.  Getting the wheel back on--problem.  Oh, did I mention it was my back tire.  I have such a hard time getting the $%&#@ thing to get back onto the drops without the derailleur getting in the way.  I was struggling away, knew I would get it eventually, when along comes a nice cyclist who asks if I have everything I need.  Yes, just struggling to get the wheel back on says I.  So he stops and helps me.  A bit disappointed I didn't do it myself, but it has just made me realize I need to practice practice practice.  At least I know I can deal with the flat part .

2012-06-20 12:24 AM
in reply to: #4270765

User image

Elite
bcraht - 2012-06-19 11:48 PM

Truer words were never spoken.  I am learning a lot about myself this week through racing and training.  I think I am holding back everywhere.

When I was training for a marathon, my body did not like it.  I had to do a lot of cross training to stay injury free.  I am very jealous of people like Salty who can run everyday and recovery quickly.  I would be in a full body cast if I did that.  Too hard on my body through sports growing up.  Anyway, I need to remember that basically I am cross training all the time and I can push a little harder, especially on the bike and swim.

So, on my ride tonight, I did so, and it showed in my average speed.  Still slow compared to many of you, but I think it was my fastest non-race so far, and I wasn't going all out.  It was a great ride.  Until IT happened.  I knew it as soon as it happened.  Heard a little click noise and knew something had punctured my tire.  Yep.  A staple.  Sheeeeite.  All right, here we go.  Wheel off no problem, tube out, tube in, inflated all good.  Feeling pretty proud of myself.  Getting the wheel back on--problem.  Oh, did I mention it was my back tire.  I have such a hard time getting the $%&#@ thing to get back onto the drops without the derailleur getting in the way.  I was struggling away, knew I would get it eventually, when along comes a nice cyclist who asks if I have everything I need.  Yes, just struggling to get the wheel back on says I.  So he stops and helps me.  A bit disappointed I didn't do it myself, but it has just made me realize I need to practice practice practice.  At least I know I can deal with the flat part .

OMG I have the same problem - doing the tube thing is so easy - I even get the back wheel kind of in place and get the derailleur out of the way and chain back on but then I cannot for the life of me get it into the drops.  Drives me nuts - i have to take it out start again otherwise I'm sweaty, covered in chain grease and threatening to kill the family and take out the windows as I throw the bike across the floor!

Picking up the new bike next week so first thing I'm gonna do is change tube in front and back and get those darned wheels on and off a few times.  Practice practice practice.

I too am not a fast runner - my average pace on a 6km run is about 9.3kph - in a distance run I'm lucky to go over 8kph.  However I run/walk and last year completed the marathon in 5.06 which was an average of 8.2kph which I was more than happy with though if I'd known I was only 7mins off going under 5 hours I may have sped up!

2012-06-20 5:43 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

ATTENTION!!  I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT!!  THIS IS HUGE!! (at least in my little world)

After 2 glasses of wine and a late night chat on FB, I gave in to peer pressure and signed up for....wait for it....are you sitting......a sprint tri. Yes, I said it, a TRIATHLON!!  

I had been mulling the idea around, as most of you know, from my posts.  I was thinking about a women's tri in August which would've given me 9 weeks to train for.  I talked to my buddies and all the really hot piglets on my team are doing a tri on July 8.  So pace booty trumped training.  I get to do a sprint tri, with eye candy, support of my team members at the finish line, and camp in a tent at the state park nearby. 

Now, I need some manatee wisdom.  How or what does one do to train for couch to sprint tri in 2.5 weeks.  Bring it!! I need some aggressive, dive in, intense, expedited plan.  Lets do this!!!

Oh, and I had to break the news to my husband this morning and it went something like this "Good morning honey, by the way, I put $150 on the credit card to reserve a camp site and do a tri. yes, I know I said I would never do another tri and I am a total bi*tch on race day and I really don't like sleeping on the ground but I had 2 glasses of wine and was feeling left out from my team so I pushed the charge button. Yes, I know I might actually have to ride a bike and swim. Ok, yes, I will figure out a way to make it up to you when I turn into evil tri woman."

Edited by jogo 2012-06-20 5:44 AM
2012-06-20 6:05 AM
in reply to: #4270861

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
jogo - 2012-06-20 6:43 AM

ATTENTION!!  I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT!!  THIS IS HUGE!! (at least in my little world)

After 2 glasses of wine and a late night chat on FB, I gave in to peer pressure and signed up for....wait for it....are you sitting......a sprint tri. Yes, I said it, a TRIATHLON!!  

I had been mulling the idea around, as most of you know, from my posts.  I was thinking about a women's tri in August which would've given me 9 weeks to train for.  I talked to my buddies and all the really hot piglets on my team are doing a tri on July 8.  So pace booty trumped training.  I get to do a sprint tri, with eye candy, support of my team members at the finish line, and camp in a tent at the state park nearby. 

Now, I need some manatee wisdom.  How or what does one do to train for couch to sprint tri in 2.5 weeks.  Bring it!! I need some aggressive, dive in, intense, expedited plan.  Lets do this!!!

Oh, and I had to break the news to my husband this morning and it went something like this "Good morning honey, by the way, I put $150 on the credit card to reserve a camp site and do a tri. yes, I know I said I would never do another tri and I am a total bi*tch on race day and I really don't like sleeping on the ground but I had 2 glasses of wine and was feeling left out from my team so I pushed the charge button. Yes, I know I might actually have to ride a bike and swim. Ok, yes, I will figure out a way to make it up to you when I turn into evil tri woman."

YAHOOOOO!!!!!! Awesome. Congratulations! Now comes the real work part. I'm sure you'll be fine, with all the marathon stuff your fitness should be good. Now get out there and swim and bike. And just keep smiling, you don't have to light the world on fire, just do the best you can. When was your last tri?
2012-06-20 6:13 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
KansasMom - 2012-06-20 12:23 AM

Live and learn indeed. I find that is true with every training session and every race (although there have only been a couple of tri's so far in my world). If I get on the bike today, there should be a pretty strong tailwind, which is a nice change of pace from the normal headwind. I really don't know how you deal with some of the winds you face? 50 mph gusts, WTF? I have officially marked Kansas off the list of places to live. Enjoy the race on Sunday. Finish with no energy and you'll know you gave it your all. But don't lose your lunch
2012-06-20 6:14 AM
in reply to: #4270623

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
jobaxas - 2012-06-19 10:23 PM

Been for a lunchtime run - brrrrr - it's 8 degrees Celsius (46F) and windy so feels a lot colder.  Not often I keep my long sleeves on for a run.  I did 5.7km in 38mins - not Salty standards but I'm impressed!

I'm now having a delicious toasted cheese and tuna sandwich followed by a slab of cheesecake - oh well!

Oh excitement, the coach from the tri club called - we are meeting on sunday go through goals, structure a plan and a program - I'm so excited!  Makes it all seem real!  come on Ironman!

Cool, it is all real indeed. And you will do awesome!!! Bring it on.

2012-06-20 6:33 AM
in reply to: #4270765

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
bcraht - 2012-06-20 12:48 AM

Kirsten, the tire thing gets better with practice. You should be proud, they are a pain in the azz. I like to think I can whip through it in my driveway, but it is a bit slower on the road, that's for sure. I did get a bunch of practice on my first bike, it had a few issues. Little did I know then how much that would help me. It is always nice to see someone stop and help. And the speed thing is nothing to sneeze at. I think we all get a bit comfortable at some point and stop pushing. Good on ya for pushing through that.

My personal jealousy of Salty comes from her willingness to put herself out there by stating her goal and putting together a 2 year plan to reach that goal. Wow, my goal is to complete a race in 4 weeks, who plans 2 years out? I bow to you, Adrienne. Between her ability and willingness to share and the love, support, and toughness of Yanti, I'd say this mentor group is headed up by a couple of pretty cool ladies. Add in everyone else in here, and I am constantly blown away by the help and support we all get.
2012-06-20 6:45 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
I am currently fighting two aspects of swimming. Form and desire. Other than that, I'm good to go. I got out of the pool last night and just sat in a chair with my head down wondering why I bother. I was a complete wienie last night at home, so much so that my wife said "I'm going shopping, you stay here and clear your head". She even suggested coaching when she got home. With a daughter getting married and our anniversary coming this year, money is tight, so it really isn't an option. So I pulled myself outta my funk, cranked up the laptop and started searching youtube for help on form. Now if I can put it, the wisdom I've heard here, and some water mojo all into play, I should be OK. I think I'll hit the Gulf of Mexico this weekend and see if it helps break the pool lap funk.

I hope that everyone enjoys the day! Get out and do something if you can.
2012-06-20 8:07 AM
in reply to: #4270861

User image

Melon Presser
jogo - 2012-06-20 6:43 PM

No more explanation needed!

YAAAAY A TRIATHLON! Triple the fun. No need to train; you really can't in twopointfive weeks. Just get some easy bike rides in (including one or two of the triathlon distance on similar terrain) and some easy swims. That's all and HAVE FUN!

2012-06-20 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4271060

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
TriAya - 2012-06-20 9:07 AM
jogo - 2012-06-20 6:43 PM

No more explanation needed!

YAAAAY A TRIATHLON! Triple the fun. No need to train; you really can't in twopointfive weeks. Just get some easy bike rides in (including one or two of the triathlon distance on similar terrain) and some easy swims. That's all and HAVE FUN!

I probably have to get some swims in to.  It seems like months (and it has been) since I have been in the saddle or the swim.   I'm thinking easy 60 minutes total of 2 different disciplines every day for the next 2 weeks.   Swim is 500m, Bike is 11 miles, Run is 5k.   I should be able to get those distances in a couple of times a week and stick to 60 minutes/day (maybe more on the weekends).  I got to get my body used to moving again.  Easy will be the word.  Lets have some fun!!!

2012-06-20 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4270916

User image

Pennsylvania

cdban66 - 2012-06-20 7:45 AM I am currently fighting two aspects of swimming. Form and desire. Other than that, I'm good to go. I got out of the pool last night and just sat in a chair with my head down wondering why I bother. I was a complete wienie last night at home, so much so that my wife said "I'm going shopping, you stay here and clear your head". She even suggested coaching when she got home. With a daughter getting married and our anniversary coming this year, money is tight, so it really isn't an option. So I pulled myself outta my funk, cranked up the laptop and started searching youtube for help on form. Now if I can put it, the wisdom I've heard here, and some water mojo all into play, I should be OK. I think I'll hit the Gulf of Mexico this weekend and see if it helps break the pool lap funk. I hope that everyone enjoys the day! Get out and do something if you can.

A change in venue could be helpful to get the desire to swim back, something to be excited about.  Glad to hear you have mostly pulled yourself out of the funk.  Your wife sounds very wise!   Plus you have such a wonderful outlook on life...I know you will get your head and heart in the right place, get re-centered and move forward.  That seems to be your nature.

I think my little week-long hiatus was driven by the 'why bother' bug.  Most of my tri friends that I talk to regularly are so  fast and so talented (and so thin) that it is very easy for me to get discouraged looking at their stellar results vs my much further behind them results.  Plus I was (over the winter/early spring) putting in a lot of pool time but not seeing any real results which for sure bummed me out.  But bottom line is I do enjoy the sport.  The challenge.  The self-improvement.  The camraderie.  Race venues.  I just need to remind myself that no everyone can be thin and super fast.  I will do the best I can do and hope to continue lowering my times.  Maybe someday I can keep up with them.

2012-06-20 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4270182

User image

Pennsylvania
bcraht - 2012-06-19 5:22 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-06-19 2:18 PM
ArielLIlB - 2012-06-19 4:05 PM

Aw, kitty pics!

My little Chloe loves to sleep on her back and talk to you while she lays there, and Wiley has a shoe fetish (you can't see it well, but he is lying on my DH's stinky shoes).  He rubs his face all over my flip flops when take them off. They are such weirdos.

Awwww!!! I love the B&W. Yeah, mine rub their face all over my dogs bed and pretty much anything that smells remotely bad (can we say my running clothes?) and then if it really stinks they open their mouth and just sit there with this "I can't believe I just smelled that" look on their faces

Hahahahah.  That's the Flehmen response.  Opens the Jacobsons organ on the roof of their mouths and allows them to get a rrrrrrrrrreal good whiff. 

That's what I love about this group: so knowledgeable on so many subject!!  Thanks for the laughs from the ensuing posts and visuals and for teaching me something new!

2012-06-20 10:14 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I found your post humorous because of the very opposite weather we are having in PA today: 96 in the shade, heat index over 100 degrees.  High humidity.  Excessive heat warnings.  Radio stations cautioning people not to exert themselves outside today.  Hotlines (no pun intended) for help with heat issues.

2012-06-20 10:40 AM
in reply to: #4269515

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Asalzwed - 2012-06-19 1:22 PM

I'm flying out tomorrow am, so,  pray for my safety. Not the flying part, the spending a week with family part! Honestly it's some MUCH NEEDED time off. I am exhausted. 

I am a little sad to be missing the Rock 'n' Roll Seattle marathon this weekend. Exactly one year ago today I had won entry to it. I hadn't specifically trained for a HM as I had only been doing sprint triathlon training. My completion of the HM lit the fire under my arse to really start running and see if I could realize my potential. 

One year down! 

Congratulations on your runniversary and, of course, safe travels (and safe reunion) zen heading your way.

2012-06-20 10:46 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Excellent news!  I look forward to hearing about it.  Fun times!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  

of 80