BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-05-20 4:15 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!

Last time I was on here we were at page 60! Going away for awhile put me way behind!
Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not aerobars would be useful for a sprint tri or are they really only useful for the longer distances?

2009-05-20 5:31 PM
in reply to: #2164319

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
smoore3 - 2009-05-20 2:15 PM

Last time I was on here we were at page 60! Going away for awhile put me way behind!
Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not aerobars would be useful for a sprint tri or are they really only useful for the longer distances?

Without getting too technical... They ARE useful... Sprint or not.... The technical side--- Is it a really hilly course?
2009-05-20 6:02 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
I would like to bid everyone farewell for the next couple days!!! I am flying to Arizona tomorrow, and doing my annual road trip back to Washington w/ my dad.  They "snowbird" it and being 100+ degree's for 2 weeks straight... It is time to come home.  We are going up via Zion, Bryce Canyon, St. George, Salt Lake City!  I will be totally away from computers until next Tuesday, but I plan on taking a lot of pictures, and getting some good trail runs in (I HOPE!)....

By the way.... I have 2 discipline's in the books..... I don't here much banter going on?   Updates?  PR's??? What is the dealio?!!
2009-05-20 6:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Steve,

Have a good and safe trip!  My husband and I went to Bryce and Zion a few years ago when we were in Vegas.  That is definitely a beautiful part of the country!  Can't wait to see the pictures!!

Karen
2009-05-20 6:58 PM
in reply to: #2163432

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
swbkrun - 2009-05-20 11:54 AM JOHN JOHN... Holy sadness!  Hope you are ok.... As for the bike.... It looks as though MANY of the components are still in good shape.  Maybe you can strip the bike down, and just buy a frame.  Not what you want to hear, I know... If you turn into insurance, be sure to borrow a pair of ZIPP 404's and show the insurance company that they "were part" of the bike !!!!

John--I cannot believe how bad your bike got wrecked yet you are relatively unscathed.  Can I assume along with the new frame you will be getting a new helmet?  Please make sure you don't push things while you heal up some of those bumps and bruises.

Reuben-way to go on the run back home.  You should have told your wife to get you a cone, probably the same calories as the Gatorade!

Janet--I wonder if you start using your legs because your arms are not giving you enough forward motion the longer you swim. Maybe your pull detoriates or you become unbalanced?  While controversial, I use the pull buoy to work on my pull and arm extension.  It helped the arms and once that was sorta fixed I kicked less.  Does that make sense?

We are headed to our house in Minocqua tomorrow afternoon.  I am bound and determined to get my 3.1m run done before we leave as part of my Tempo run, hit the bike on Friday during my Threshold ride and maybe even brave the less than 50F water to do my 400 yards.  I will have the man wear my Garmin on the waverunner to measure. Scouts honor!  How is team four feeling anyway? 
2009-05-20 7:11 PM
in reply to: #2164103

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2009-05-20 3:11 PM So I went for a run at lunch. I' m recognizing that I need to start adhering to a training program more and more. My workouts all seem to be the same, no variance. Runs have become "just lets see how far I can run today". So I did some intervals...30sec sprints, 1min recovery. Did 11 of them, then ran up a 10 story flight of stairs and down twice. It was really awesome!! I was actually getting 'quivering quads' or whatever you want to call it. Was good to feel a burn when I was trying to walk down the last couple flights of stairs. I never do that kind of stuff. I usually just run.

I guess my point is... What kind of running workouts do you guys do? I always hear 3/week....long, speed, and easy. What do you guys do for speedwork?

What type of runs depends on your goal.  Assuming you are training for Sprints and Olympics, I would do either a Tempo Run (warm-up, 3-4m@10k or slighty slower pace, cool-down) or cruise intervals same warm up and cool-down but 2m@10K pace, 400 recovery, 2m@10k pace, a longer run (note, not necessarily slow) and alternate an interval week (either 4 800s or 3 1m repeats) with 400y recovery) with an ez run.  A lot depends on your fitness and how long you have been running, but based on what I know about you these seem reasonable.

PS Treat the recovery as a slow jog to get your HR back to Z1 or low Z2.

PPS What you did above sounds like strides. I usually do them before a race.  I think the :30 second, 1 minute recovery is fine.

2009-05-20 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2164611

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Trevor

Go Here.

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smartcoach/

I think the runnersworld plans are great, if you put in your info it will spit out a plan.  You obviously don't have to use the plan but if you want to get some good tempo/speed workouts it will generate them in the plan for you.

I like them because they give you a pace to shoot for.  The tempo pace for me was just about or under the pace I wanted to run in the race, the speed workouts were much faster.
2009-05-20 7:57 PM
in reply to: #2163839

User image

Extreme Veteran
fattyfatfat - 2009-05-20 2:56 PM Well since I'm providing the entertainment today.... something to laugh at

you make the volunteers look like they're 2 ft tall! 
2009-05-20 8:59 PM
in reply to: #2164319

User image

Champion
smoore3 - 2009-05-20 5:15 PM

Welcome back,

Yes they would be.  Gets you out of the wind more which is always good.
2009-05-20 10:13 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

John, those bike photos practically made me cry.  I am so glad you are okay, yikes!  And such a trooper, you were thinking about being okay to run!  Sounds like your 50% deal will make it a bit less painful.

Trevor, I didn't run up Diamond Head, the mountain!  Just out along the coast to the tip of Diamond Head Beach.  I highly recommend the run for anyone staying in Waikiki or nearby because early in the am, there are no cars, just you and the other crazy walkers/runners and of course, surfers looking for good waves!  But there is a nice hill to get to the top, so it is a nice challenge.

I also like to do some speed training on the treadmill, as it doesn't let me off the hook.... I will do something like a 10 minute warm up at long run pace (Z1-2), then alternate 4 minutes Z4 and 3 min recovery (Z1-2) about 4 cycles of this and then c/d 10 minutes.  The first fast interval always sucks for me, but then I start really cruising by the 2nd and 3rd... the 4th one is a relief to be done with.  I do a similar type of thing with hill workouts.  These are workouts that are in my silver HIM plan and they seem to occur once every 2 weeks or so.

Today I swam at Kailua Beach (no not that Kailua, Suzy ), this is on the east coast of Oahu.  The water was crystal clear and maybe 78 degrees.  I was able to actually sight okay, and it was much easier swimming without a wetsuit.  I didn't feel the fatigue in my shoulders that I normally do with ows... it makes me believe that perhaps my starter wetsuit is part of the problem and I may look into getting a better model with more range of motion.  

Take care everyone.

2009-05-20 10:16 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Hey Team Four!  I just posted my 12 miles on the bike.  Not great but the bike's going in for her 6 month check up so I had to get it in before I left for the holiday weekend.  I was a bit tired due to the fact I've been spending the last 2 days cleaning up after my hot water heater broke.  How come those things can't just stop working, why do they have to leak?  Turns out the installers didn't seal (or tighten for that matter) the drain tube out of the catch pan. So when the water started filling the pan it was leaking around the drain tube, not through it, and consequently all down the inside of my walls and my bedroom ceiling.  Who's dumb idea was it to put those things in the attic anyway?  But at least it is fixed now.  Rant over.

Tomorrow I'll do my swim and keep trying all next week for a sub 30 5K.  Thank goodness I have Suzy and Jeremy on my teams to balance out my crappy running.  Maybe Tony will lend me his SuperMan cape so I can run faster.

I'm off to take a nice HOT shower.  I experienced my first "ice bath" yesterday - all be it not intentionally. WOW will that wake you up.  Surprised

2009-05-20 11:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Kauai girl now in MIll Creek/Silver Firs

hey Team Four! I've posted a swim and bike time. Hope to pull off a better bike time in the next few days. Holding off on the run until the very end - I did all three events on Sunday and did something screwy to my inner, lower calves. Ouch. Giving them a few days to rest before htting the road.   I am so glad we have some great runners on our team to offset my times - ha ha - it takes a Boston marathoner to balance my numbers out! (yeah Suzy!)

2009-05-21 6:49 AM
in reply to: #2164926

User image

Champion
kt65 - 2009-05-20 11:13 PM

John, those bike photos practically made me cry.  I am so glad you are okay, yikes!  And such a trooper, you were thinking about being okay to run!  Sounds like your 50% deal will make it a bit less painful.

Trevor, I didn't run up Diamond Head, the mountain!  Just out along the coast to the tip of Diamond Head Beach.  I highly recommend the run for anyone staying in Waikiki or nearby because early in the am, there are no cars, just you and the other crazy walkers/runners and of course, surfers looking for good waves!  But there is a nice hill to get to the top, so it is a nice challenge.

I also like to do some speed training on the treadmill, as it doesn't let me off the hook.... I will do something like a 10 minute warm up at long run pace (Z1-2), then alternate 4 minutes Z4 and 3 min recovery (Z1-2) about 4 cycles of this and then c/d 10 minutes.  The first fast interval always sucks for me, but then I start really cruising by the 2nd and 3rd... the 4th one is a relief to be done with.  I do a similar type of thing with hill workouts.  These are workouts that are in my silver HIM plan and they seem to occur once every 2 weeks or so.

Today I swam at Kailua Beach (no not that Kailua, Suzy ), this is on the east coast of Oahu.  The water was crystal clear and maybe 78 degrees.  I was able to actually sight okay, and it was much easier swimming without a wetsuit.  I didn't feel the fatigue in my shoulders that I normally do with ows... it makes me believe that perhaps my starter wetsuit is part of the problem and I may look into getting a better model with more range of motion.  

Take care everyone.

Thats great on the swim.  I think I am having the same problem with my wetsuit.  It just might be a bit too much pulling up to the shoulder.  I rented a Desoto 2 piece wetsuit, it should be here in a few days and I will report on the difference.

I know with my current wetsuit I took it to the pool last weekend and was flying in the pool, but arms just wore out after about 600M.  Took off the suit and after getting used to the temperature I think I was going even faster because my arms felt like they were weightless.
2009-05-21 7:01 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Morning everyone. Have a  great day.

2009-05-21 7:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi the #1 team, I posted my swim time.  It was pretty much what I expected.   I was out of breath at the end and I felt I couldn't catch my breath so I ended-up breathing every stroke for the last 140yds or so and trying to relax more.  It was a similar feel I had during my first OWS.  Heart beating so fast and couldn't catch my breath, I think because of this swim I learned to control it better.  I'm glad we're doing this!  

I've been increasing my bike time a bit and my legs definitely feel it but the weird part (for me weird) the part of the body that's most fatigued is my arms and back.  My lower back was killing me and my arms were sore/hurt and hands numb from supporting my body (I think).  After my bike fit a few months back my back actually felt great on the bike but now after longer rides on the bike my back is sore.  I've never had my arms be so tired.  I'm not sure if it's from swimming before hand or i'm just putting too much weight on my arms and hands.  My hands have been going numb too, towards end of the bike I had to shake out my hands every few miles to get feeling back in them.   I think I'm tensing my body too much..  Does this stuff go away?  People suggested aero bars..  I was hoping not having to get them as I was going to buy a tri bike at the end of the season..

2009-05-21 7:07 AM
in reply to: #2165145

User image

Champion
trying1 - 2009-05-21 8:02 AM

Hi the #1 team, I posted my swim time.  It was pretty much what I expected.   I was out of breath at the end and I felt I couldn't catch my breath so I ended-up breathing every stroke for the last 140yds or so and trying to relax more.  It was a similar feel I had during my first OWS.  Heart beating so fast and couldn't catch my breath, I think because of this swim I learned to control it better.  I'm glad we're doing this!  

I've been increasing my bike time a bit and my legs definitely feel it but the weird part (for me weird) the part of the body that's most fatigued is my arms and back.  My lower back was killing me and my arms were sore/hurt and hands numb from supporting my body (I think).  After my bike fit a few months back my back actually felt great on the bike but now after longer rides on the bike my back is sore.  I've never had my arms be so tired.  I'm not sure if it's from swimming before hand or i'm just putting too much weight on my arms and hands.  My hands have been going numb too, towards end of the bike I had to shake out my hands every few miles to get feeling back in them.   I think I'm tensing my body too much..  Does this stuff go away?  People suggested aero bars..  I was hoping not having to get them as I was going to buy a tri bike at the end of the season..

Great job on the swim.

Longer rides can take getting used to, takes time to get your body used to being in the saddle so long.  Also if possible might want to go back and see if they can adjust your fit at all.  Usually best test for a fit for me is a 50 mile ride, if I can do it for 50 then it is going to work for pretty much anything else.

2009-05-21 7:15 AM
in reply to: #2165149

User image

Champion
Sorry whoever tried to get into Team 1 spreadsheet, I am trying to reformat, the google spreadsheets don't give you the same options as excel so having to mess with it a bit to make it work like I want it to.
2009-05-21 7:20 AM
in reply to: #2165161

User image

Champion
Brain not working good this AM, trying to go from time to numbers to get the averages then back to time and not working right.  need more coffee.

Just keep entering your times I will get the calculations right before we are done.

Edited by dalessit 2009-05-21 7:20 AM
2009-05-21 7:22 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
Stan I know why you are so tired... a 13 second 400m.!  LOL!  Seriously...great job!  6:13 is FLYING!!! 

When you say you breathe every stroke what do you mean? Are you breathing left, right, left, right, etc... or left, left, left, etc..?

Morning Rob! 

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-05-21 7:26 AM
2009-05-21 7:25 AM
in reply to: #2165182

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2009-05-21 8:22 AM Stan I know why you are so tired... a 13 second 400m.!  LOL!  Seriously...great job! 

When you say you breathe every stroke what do you mean? Are you breathing left, right, left, right, etc... or left, left, left, etc..?

6 minute 13 second, I added another column.  Still a smoking time.
2009-05-21 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2164930

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2009-05-20 10:16 PM Hey Team Four!  I just posted my 12 miles on the bike.  Not great but the bike's going in for her 6 month check up so I had to get it in before I left for the holiday weekend.  I was a bit tired due to the fact I've been spending the last 2 days cleaning up after my hot water heater broke.  How come those things can't just stop working, why do they have to leak?  Turns out the installers didn't seal (or tighten for that matter) the drain tube out of the catch pan. So when the water started filling the pan it was leaking around the drain tube, not through it, and consequently all down the inside of my walls and my bedroom ceiling.  Who's dumb idea was it to put those things in the attic anyway?  But at least it is fixed now.  Rant over.

Tomorrow I'll do my swim and keep trying all next week for a sub 30 5K.  Thank goodness I have Suzy and Jeremy on my teams to balance out my crappy running.  Maybe Tony will lend me his SuperMan cape so I can run faster.

I'm off to take a nice HOT shower.  I experienced my first "ice bath" yesterday - all be it not intentionally. WOW will that wake you up.  Surprised

Ok, Shannon and Tracy I will do my best on the run, but remember you gotta make up a lot of time on the swim.  I saw Steve's result yesterday and I am going to warn you that his 400 time is my 200 time!  I'm going for it in the lake this weekend.  I figure it will be so frickin' cold that I will go faster just to get it done!

PS. I did my 5K as part of my Tempo run this morning all into the wind.  I think I can do better.  When is the drop dead date? can I put it into the spreadsheet and change it if I better it?

2009-05-21 8:49 AM

User image

Wow, been out of touch for a while and you guys have been busy.   I have to admit I am a little overwhelmed trying to catch up with everyone.    Probably will just catch up on the races (I love races

Let's see, last weekend....
Andy - nice race, congrats on exceeding your goal.
Jeremy - great weekend, did you take it a little easy this week to recover?   Your times were awesome, and add in the terrain and you were incredible.
Steve - nice job running with your sister.  That is so cool!  She looked happy in the pic.
Holly - awesome race.  You are one tough triathlete.  I loved the part about the race official.
John - great job.  I loved your pics, looks strong, but also like you were having the time of your life.  Way to go!

John - I am so sorry to hear about the accident, and really glad you are ok.  Man, do you think someone was trying to sabotage our team (you know some people will do anything to winWink  Well, glad you are ok.   Hope you are sporting a shinny new bike soon.

Tracy - sorry about the hot water heater.  We had that happen to us in our previous house.  Didn't have damge to the house,  only figured out we had a problem when we got our monthly water bill - $640 (usually ran around $50 - 65). 

Hope everyone has a great weekend, and for those traveling please travel safe.

2009-05-21 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2165182

User image

Extreme Veteran
fattyfatfat - 2009-05-21 8:22 AM Stan I know why you are so tired... a 13 second 400m.!  LOL!  Seriously...great job!  6:13 is FLYING!!! 

Morning Rob! 

Sorry I probably should have said every other stroke so, breath, left, right/breath, left, right/breath.  Does this make sense?  Typically during my training sessions I bilateral breath.  I found out during this swim, the longer sprints (like 400yrds) I tense up so much that it makes me fatigue much faster and my heart beat like crazy.  When I took a breath every other stroke and made a conscious effort to relax I felt so much better.

My senior yr in high school I double sported in basketball and swimming.  I did the 50 free relay and sometimes 100 free relay so i'm used to the shorter sprints (my times used to be mush faster, i don't catch the water as well as i used to).  Unfortunately when i graduate 17yrs ago I didn't swim again and I'm relearning my form.  My kick turns are the worst, my timing and form are horrible.  Last week I did a kick turn during the end of my training session I actually pushed off the wall and didn't straighten-up properly and went down and scrapped the bottom of the pool..  
2009-05-21 9:09 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
So 400 yds is equal to 365.76 Metres......the pool i swim at is 25m pool....I will do my swim tomorrow, and yo know what I am going to do? I am going to do 15 lengths. Not 14 3/4 lengths. That is the way I role. So Tony, if this baby gets down to a few seconds from Team One winning it all, keep that in mind when you fabricate our results!

One thing I find interesting is when I look at some US Tri's or road races....They will say X yds swim, X miles bike, and X Kms Run....Why is that? or they will say a 10k run? not 6.2 miles? This whole metric/Imperial thing is weird.
2009-05-21 9:10 AM

User image

OK, now that I am back I am going to vent.....

Would you belive our "school system" does not recognize Memorial Day for the year round schools?
Memorial Day - a day that is observed to commemorate U.S. men and women who died while serving to protect our country and our freedom(s).   While our school board does not recognize the day that honors those that have given the ultimate sacrifice to afford us our freedoms, we do celebrate MLK day, the day before and after Thanksgiving, and the entire week between Christmas and New Years Day.

We contcted our principal and let him know how we felt and that our boys would not be at school on Monday.  He wrote back immediatley and told us he agreed with us, and that he would notify the boys teacher that the boys would not be in class on Monday and that it is an excused absence.  (we do have a good principal)

OK, rant over.

Edited by Havin'Fun 2009-05-21 9:11 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383