BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2011-02-27 12:29 PM
in reply to: #3374153

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED
ricmachado - 2011-02-27 9:46 AM

bike 1h today. still haven't fixed the cadence sensor, but will before next week.

weather is great today Cool

Mine doesn't work either. Back to the bike shop. They also put my brakes/shifters too far up on the handles...I can't really reach them when I ride!!

2011-02-27 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Hello from beautiful Scotland
2011-02-27 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3374361

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Triathlynne - 2011-02-27 1:03 PM Hello from beautiful Scotland

Yea!!  Glad to hear you made it safely. 
2011-02-27 4:27 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Did the Hustle up the Hancock today.  It continues to boggle my mind that stairs don't hurt, but running does.  Anyway...
Here are my results, I'm quite pleased.  
Time: 15:50
9/392 age group 40 - 49 ( and I'm 49 )
overall female 29/1425
overall 223/2937

It will be interesting to see how things, the hip/quad, feel tomorrow.  Right now feeling OK.

It was a very cool experience. This event is to raise money for the Respiratory Health Association of Chicago. My sister and I were doing this in memory of my brother-in -law  (different sister's husband) who passed away from lung cancer this past June. I should note that he was a non-smoker.  He was a swimmer, musician and all around great guy.  This was a wonderful way to celebrate his life and memory. We want to  kick it up a notch next year and recruit other family members and friends next year and form a "Team Chuck", get t-shirts, the whole thing.  I love races that have a purpose and benefit a worthwhile cause.  
2011-02-27 4:34 PM
in reply to: #3373613

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
suzimmer - 2011-02-26 2:30 PM
laurak11 - 2011-02-26 9:13 AM

Congrats to those who've accomplished so much this month/year!

February for me was another build month for IM training. Successes were getting some 3hr and a 4hr ride in.  Also kept pretty consistant with my running. Had a couple days in the middle of the month where I just felt like crap (mostly mental) and I didn't get in a couple of my workouts.  Even pondering the idea of withdrawing from the IM. But I pushed throuh and hopefully I can con't to get stronger, fitter, and faster! Come on spring!!

In my personal experience training for an IM and going through it with friends, what you experienced is very common, normal.  I went through stages of feeling like "crap" both physically and mentally.  Having thoughts like, why did I think I could do this?  what was I thinking?,  etc.  When you push through it that it does make you stronger and prepares you mentally for the actual race when you will experience every emotion to the extreme.  You hit your highest highs and lowest lows during the course of the race.  When you are low you can recall that training ride or run that you just didn't want to do, it was killing you, didn't think you'd get through it but you did!

Keep up the good work!  Spring will be here....eventually. (as I look out the window at the snow coming down). 

Thanks I needed that! Definately feeling better this weekend. Got in some great workouts!
2011-02-27 4:36 PM
in reply to: #3374153

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
ricmachado - 2011-02-27 9:46 AM bike 1h today. still haven't fixed the cadence sensor, but will before next week.

Do you have a garmin? My cadence works but my mileage doesn't work.... I think it might be the battery. Going to change it and see if that helps.

2011-02-27 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3374513

User image

Master
Orlando
suzimmer - 2011-02-27 4:27 PM Did the Hustle up the Hancock today.  It continues to boggle my mind that stairs don't hurt, but running does.  Anyway...
overall female 29/1425
overall 223/2937

It will be interesting to see how things, the hip/quad, feel tomorrow.  Right now feeling OK.

It was a very cool experience. This event is to raise money for the Respiratory Health Association of Chicago. My sister and I were doing this in memory of my brother-in -law  (different sister's husband) who passed away from lung cancer this past June. I should note that he was a non-smoker.  He was a swimmer, musician and all around great guy.  This was a wonderful way to celebrate his life and memory. We want to  kick it up a notch next year and recruit other family members and friends next year and form a "Team Chuck", get t-shirts, the whole thing.  I love races that have a purpose and benefit a worthwhile cause.  

Wow, great job and a wonderful cause!
2011-02-27 5:13 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
suzimmer - 2011-02-27 5:27 PM

Did the Hustle up the Hancock today.  It continues to boggle my mind that stairs don't hurt, but running does.  Anyway...
overall female 29/1425
overall 223/2937

WOW, you killed it! That's fantastic and such a good story, way to go Team Chuck!

Going DOWN hurts...our elevator has been out twice here and I will tell you the ball of my injured foot hurts like hell going down 28 flights!
2011-02-27 7:11 PM
in reply to: #3374520

User image

Longview, Texas
laurak11 - 2011-02-27 5:36 PM
ricmachado - 2011-02-27 9:46 AM bike 1h today. still haven't fixed the cadence sensor, but will before next week.

Do you have a garmin? My cadence works but my mileage doesn't work.... I think it might be the battery. Going to change it and see if that helps.

I have a cateye computer, when I installed I placed the little magnet in the wrong way, it was working but it was almost loose, when I fixed the magnet position, it become too far from the sensor.  
2011-02-27 7:19 PM

User image

Longview, Texas
suzimmer - 2011-02-27 5:27 PM Did the Hustle up the Hancock today.  It continues to boggle my mind that stairs don't hurt, but running does.  Anyway...
overall female 29/1425
overall 223/2937

very nice...

I was thinking about doing one that they will have here in Charlotte next month, it will be a 49 floors.

2011-02-28 6:55 AM
in reply to: #3374192

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
ingleshteechur - 2011-02-27 9:45 AM Hello McFuzzies! Hope everyone has had a great weekend. I'm a little out of sorts...weekend eating was terrible both on the road and at the tournament. Total sugar hangover today after a seven hour drive last night in crappy weather. My body feels terrible. Someone tell me to just move on & get back to healthy nutrition and it'll be ok!Heading out to swim in an hour or so...that is if I can squeeze my sugar & salt bloated butt into my wetsuit! :-)

I've heard triathletes, pro elite sorts, say they live by an 80:20 rule.  They say if they eat right 60% of the time, they feel like they train enough they can go off 20%.  Now, for me, I couldn't do that.  I have a tendency to drift to the dark side when I let myself go.  But, letting yourself go a bit once in a while is nothing to beat yourself up about.  In fact, negative thinking about a foood slip can led to more negative thinking and low esteem that can lead to more food issues.  Best idea is to live in the moment.  What can I do right now this instant to change my life for the better.  Now is the only moment of change we have.  The past is gone, the future will become whatever the decisions we make right now make of it.   Back on track, healthy nutrition, you will be fine!

Congrats on that Hancock run.  Gotta hurt.

My testing week went well accoridn to my bike coach.  I'm waiting for his official report.  I'll share what I lear,n.  I think my threshaold is nearly what it was pre-injury last fall...early on in the season, that is great.  I think my VO2 work was good too.  I did three all-out efforts.  30 sec.  one minute and four minutes. The threshold test was a 20 minute time trial, holding on for all your worth while pacing to the end.  Mental test as much as physical.  All good.

My run is slow coming out of the basement from the treadmill to the streeet, I think, al though my Garmin has acted up both nights with the run club so I can't be sure.  What I think is that I am shortening my stride to avoid injury and I have to work to up my cadence.  All good.  

Swim continues to improve.  Working on form and stroke efficiency.

Have a great week.
The IceMan

2011-02-28 8:15 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Suzimmer - great job on the stair run - that sounds tough!

Iceman - sounds like training is going well for you - yeah!

The next 2 weeks will be big volume weeks for me! Then off to New Orleans for a few days of R&R during Spring Break.
2011-02-28 8:55 AM

User image

Elite
Good morning McFuzzies!  Can you believe it's almost March...bring on the warm weather!  Where, oh where are you?!

Looking ahead at my training I'm realizing I'm at a point where I can't fit both my bike and run in before school--as early of a riser as I am, even I have my limits!  So, a few times a week I'll need to start splitting my workouts.  I'm terrible at getting going after school.  Tomorrow morning I have a 2:45 trainer ride and then a five mile run after school.  I'll need a mantra to get out the door!

Have a great week all!
2011-02-28 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3374675

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
ricmachado - 2011-02-27 8:19 PM

suzimmer - 2011-02-27 5:27 PM Did the Hustle up the Hancock today.  It continues to boggle my mind that stairs don't hurt, but running does.  Anyway...
overall female 29/1425
overall 223/2937

very nice...

I was thinking about doing one that they will have here in Charlotte next month, it will be a 49 floors.

It's April 16th here in Miami, The Wells Fargo Towr, 55 flights.
2011-02-28 9:06 AM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

suzimmer - 2011-02-27 2:27 PM Did the Hustle up the Hancock today.  It continues to boggle my mind that stairs don't hurt, but running does.  Anyway...
overall female 29/1425
overall 223/2937

Wow! Awesome results for an awesome cause. Well done

2011-02-28 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3375207

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

ingleshteechur - 2011-02-28 6:55 AM Good morning McFuzzies!  Can you believe it's almost March...bring on the warm weather!  Where, oh where are you?!

Looking ahead at my training I'm realizing I'm at a point where I can't fit both my bike and run in before school--as early of a riser as I am, even I have my limits!  So, a few times a week I'll need to start splitting my workouts.  I'm terrible at getting going after school.  Tomorrow morning I have a 2:45 trainer ride and then a five mile run after school.  I'll need a mantra to get out the door!

Have a great week all!

I can't believe it's almost March!!!!  It was 10C here in Scotland today! Oh it was sooooooooooo mild! I should have ran but I opted for an early morning swim and my 17 year old niece and my sis in law talked me into going to their Zumba class tonight, so I am. Met my cousin today who's in a running club so Wednesday I'm running with her.  I could quite easily move back here no problem and be very, very happy.  Even bought new workout gear today - works out to be FAR cheaper here than back in the US. Weird.  I do miss riding my bike however.

2011-02-28 9:33 AM
in reply to: #3375207

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
ingleshteechur - 2011-02-28 8:55 AM Good morning McFuzzies!  Can you believe it's almost March...bring on the warm weather!  Where, oh where are you?!

Have a great week all!

I saw an article just last week on this...getting going after work.  I'll look for it.  One thing they suggested was lay out your workout cloths and get into them first thing when you get home.  Make it a no-brainer.  Once in them, you'll get going.  The more you wait to change, the more you'll have to fight to get it done.  Made sense to me. I'm motivated by the fact I go to an AA meeting every night and have to fit wrokouts in before I go and Kathy is kind enough to vary the dinner house to accomodate whether I go to the meeting right after a workout or later when she goes to bed.

2011-02-28 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3375231

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
Triathlynne - Sounds wonderful! Glad you're having a great trip : )

suzimmer - Congrats on getting 9th out of 350 (or whatever that number was), that is Uh-mazing!

Iceman- wise words about food guilt. I had a bit this morning. For some reason I felt like my long run yesterday was "permission granted" to eat like a moron.

I had my longest run to date yesterday, 9miles, my hips and my foot started feeling achy on the last mile1/2... although I feel fine today so seemed to have bounced back pretty quick. I'm doing whatever I can to work on injury prevention this week -massage, stretching, rolling, hot baths. My body is not totally psyched to be pushing into these new longer distances. 

Have a great week everyone : )

2011-02-28 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3375290

User image

Expert
Missouri
IceManScott - 2011-02-28 9:33 AM
ingleshteechur - 2011-02-28 8:55 AM Good morning McFuzzies!  Can you believe it's almost March...bring on the warm weather!  Where, oh where are you?!

Have a great week all!

I saw an article just last week on this...getting going after work.  I'll look for it.  One thing they suggested was lay out your workout cloths and get into them first thing when you get home.  Make it a no-brainer.  Once in them, you'll get going.  The more you wait to change, the more you'll have to fight to get it done.  Made sense to me. I'm motivated by the fact I go to an AA meeting every night and have to fit wrokouts in before I go and Kathy is kind enough to vary the dinner house to accomodate whether I go to the meeting right after a workout or later when she goes to bed.

This is what I try to do - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn'tUndecided.  If I know I'm going to be going for a run or to the gym after dinner, I'll change even before I start cooking.  Once dinner's done, things are cleaned up and anything else that needs to be done is dealt with, I can get straight to the workout.  If I have to change at that point, too often the workout doesn't happen.  Now that the weather is starting to get better, I'll try to get my runs in before I start dinner (or ask DH to cook while I'm out).  I prefer to do it then - more motivation, less laziness Laughing - but it's not always possible.  I'd be interested to see what other things they suggest. 
2011-02-28 5:29 PM

User image

Hi everyone

Not posted for a while due to having a shocking month in february. Really struggled with motivation and also the cold weather. I've missed far to many sessions. So with a new month starting decided to put this behind me as i can't do anything about it now.so i'll be getting my head down and trying to find the motivation i had back in january. My seasons starts  this coming saturday with a sprint duathlon 5k/20k/2.5k so will be hoping to use this s a spring board to move on.

simon.
2011-02-28 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3376280

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
silverback25 - 2011-02-28 5:29 PM Hi everyone

Not posted for a while due to having a shocking month in february. Really struggled with motivation and also the cold weather. I've missed far to many sessions. So with a new month starting decided to put this behind me as i can't do anything about it now.so i'll be getting my head down and trying to find the motivation i had back in january. My seasons starts  this coming saturday with a sprint duathlon 5k/20k/2.5k so will be hoping to use this s a spring board to move on.

simon.

Welcome to March Simon!!! Good luck on your duathlon this weekend!

2011-03-01 6:03 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Peeps,

We've turned another page on the calendar.  What are your February Successes and what are your March goals? 

For me:
I managed to get 30 hours of tri-training logged in February.  This is huge given the chaos of a record-setting snowstorm on the 1st and two days of work-related travel a week later.  The first third of the month didn't look very good, but the last 2/3 turned it all around, including a 20-mile run Saturday.  It feels good to be able to say "Sure, I'll run 20 with you." 

My Ironman training kicks in this month.  I took some basic measurements yesterday.  Weight: 171#.  Waist: 32" Hips: 38" Chest 42".  I'll drop below 170# this month, and I'll probably lose an inch off at least one of these measurements. 

We'll keep going March and beyond, but everyone has to do their part.  Sad to say, I've gotten no responses from some missing peeps.  I can say, it's a great feeling to see some of the accomplishments, and the non-smoking part of our group has grown by two people (Triathlynne and GmrGirl).  Great job ladies!!  Inspire traffic is picking up and will be the difference between a self-sustaining and a withering group.  I vote for self-sustaining! 
2011-03-01 7:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Training for the month was good.  Never missed a workout.  Threshold testing went really well.  FTP is 295 watts, just under the peak last fall, so I'm starting the year in a great place.  Winter was good to me.  The treadmill and the computrainer were blessings.  I note the run outdoors has been improving...three times outdoors and starting to feel good on the run.  Will have to stretch out as soon as the weather gets better.  Swimming progress continues. All good.  Also feeling really good about the nutrition.   Adding cals as I reach the sub 200 level.  Cals are going on before, during and after longer workouts which is really fueling them and making them better with better rests.  Testing Cartbo Pro and Hammer products, which I like, and dissolving Gu in small bottles of water.  Working really well.  

Equipment testing will come in March.  Get the bikes out on the road.  Maybe try a compact crank on the TT bike.  I want to get a sleeveless wet suit before June. Tired of feeling like I'm in a body condom.    Looking at Xterria's $300 Vortex. Good reviews. 

Feeling like I'm using the time.  Also feeling like the time is going to fly by and there I'll be.  I'll be ready.  But busy from now til then.  
2011-03-01 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
For me February has been a month of ups and downs.  It started out great, with the marathon training going very well.
Then....injury!  To say I've been down about not being able to run would be an understatement.  Unfortunately, I've had to somewhat curtail the spinning and swimming also.  But...stairs seem to be OK and therefore I was able to end the month on a high note with the Hancock Stair Climb.  Going to try running on the track tomorrow after school.  Hoping that March can see me running again, even if slowly.
Going to try posting a pic of the Hustle up the Hancock.

2011-03-01 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
I had a very good month as well.  I had the highest total exercise volume ever (well at least since high school) at almost 2k. My run volume was also the highest ever at 57.5 miles.  Bike and swim were about average compared to previous months. 

Feel really good about the progress I am making and am already toying with the idea of a HIM next year. This month I should  break Febs records as well (esp. for run). My goals for March is just to stay consistent, don't sweat the small things and continue on continuing on. Oh, and I am only 1 1/2 pounds for my lowest weight since H.S. Size 8 pants are starting to feel loose - yeah!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106