BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-11-08 7:14 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois
Proof of life...
I hope everyone is doing great and enjoy some beautiful weather this November.
I am planning to catch up on at least two pages, to get a sense of what is going on.

My life got a bit busy, but on the positive side. Got promotion at work, which was great, but also got double workload (not because of the promo, the promo was actually a result of me doing triple of what my original job description said). I am very happy, I love my job.
I finally made the decision of moving to a new place. Hopefully in February. I found a great place with affordable price. Kids will have their own bedroom. We're happy

I was trying to keep at least some minimum training, but it's all about time to end lazy off season and get the muscles to work. I am looking forward to communicate with you guys more often now

Have a great week!

2016-11-08 8:00 PM
in reply to: marysia83

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83 Proof of life... I hope everyone is doing great and enjoy some beautiful weather this November. I am planning to catch up on at least two pages, to get a sense of what is going on. My life got a bit busy, but on the positive side. Got promotion at work, which was great, but also got double workload (not because of the promo, the promo was actually a result of me doing triple of what my original job description said). I am very happy, I love my job. I finally made the decision of moving to a new place. Hopefully in February. I found a great place with affordable price. Kids will have their own bedroom. We're happy I was trying to keep at least some minimum training, but it's all about time to end lazy off season and get the muscles to work. I am looking forward to communicate with you guys more often now Have a great week!

Great to hear Mary!

2016-11-09 12:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by marysia83

Proof of life...
I hope everyone is doing great and enjoy some beautiful weather this November.
I am planning to catch up on at least two pages, to get a sense of what is going on.

My life got a bit busy, but on the positive side. Got promotion at work, which was great, but also got double workload (not because of the promo, the promo was actually a result of me doing triple of what my original job description said). I am very happy, I love my job.
I finally made the decision of moving to a new place. Hopefully in February. I found a great place with affordable price. Kids will have their own bedroom. We're happy

I was trying to keep at least some minimum training, but it's all about time to end lazy off season and get the muscles to work. I am looking forward to communicate with you guys more often now

Have a great week!
Great to see you Mary. and great that you got a promotion that might actually mean less work for you.
2016-11-09 1:31 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I just have to laugh about how excited American's on FB seem to be about getting a sticker for voting. Come to Australia here they give you a $50 fine if you don't vote.
2016-11-09 8:27 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by jmkizer

yep, looks like a lot of people are rethinking fall race plans! 

I heard a rumor that a Manatee, not me, has signed up for a fall IM.

What are you thinking of doing next fall, Hands?

I haven't signed up for any fall races right now 

Me neither.  Since B2B and Rev3 Cedar Point are both off my list, I am not considering IM Lou or IM Choo.  I need to make a decision, don't I?

2016-11-09 8:39 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by Asalzwed I had a great race on Sunday. Hoping to get a few minutes to write a report. One strange thing that has been happening after a shorter distance, race effort: massive sneeze attack then cold like symptoms for a few days (in endless runny nose, sneezing etc)Any idea what's up? This has happened at 3 or 4 races now.

Has all of this happened recently?  I am asking because I am wondering about mold spores.  One year, I had terrible problems catching my breath every time I exercised outside.  Once the leaves were gone, so was the problem.  It never happened before or since.  I am kind of thinking that we may have had bad mold spores that year?  Dunno.

Someone else had brought that up, too. And it very well could be but this has happened now over the course of 6 months (meaning at least 2 seasons) and on different courses. 

The only thing they have in common is being non-road, shorter events.

The other oddity is that this past race was run in a location where I practice weekly and I hadn't previously had issues. So strange!

I think that I'd start with writing it all down.  I'm thinking that you are breathing much deeper during the harder effort of races and whatever is causing this is getting very deep into your system.  I wouldn't think that it's exercise induced asthma since that typically goes away in under an hour.

All I could find was this Livestrong article

Symptoms such as severe sneezing and congestion often result from allergies to an environmental irritant such as pollen, mold, pet dander or cigarette smoke. Vasomotor rhinitis, also referred to as non-allergic rhinitis, can also cause runners to experience sneezing and congestion.

2016-11-09 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83 Proof of life... I hope everyone is doing great and enjoy some beautiful weather this November. I am planning to catch up on at least two pages, to get a sense of what is going on. My life got a bit busy, but on the positive side. Got promotion at work, which was great, but also got double workload (not because of the promo, the promo was actually a result of me doing triple of what my original job description said). I am very happy, I love my job. I finally made the decision of moving to a new place. Hopefully in February. I found a great place with affordable price. Kids will have their own bedroom. We're happy I was trying to keep at least some minimum training, but it's all about time to end lazy off season and get the muscles to work. I am looking forward to communicate with you guys more often now Have a great week!

Congratulations on the promotion!  Woo hoo!

2016-11-09 8:49 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Me neither.  Since B2B and Rev3 Cedar Point are both off my list, I am not considering IM Lou or IM Choo.  I need to make a decision, don't I?

How about coming out and doing the Deer Creek Fall Challenge with me?

2016-11-09 12:06 PM

Master
Northern IL

Apparently there is something called Pirahna up in Delaware. Actually draft legal. Not sure that will be as big a deal as many think.

2016-11-09 12:30 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

Apparently there is something called Pirahna up in Delaware. Actually draft legal. Not sure that will be as big a deal as many think.

I checked out the site and it's kinda a cute runaround the "branded" rules.  It's a 226k event and they are calling it a Metric Man.  I'd feel better if they had posted the results from last month's race.  I checked because I wanted to see what kind of participation they were getting but nothing is there :-(

2016-11-09 12:48 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by Asalzwed I had a great race on Sunday. Hoping to get a few minutes to write a report. One strange thing that has been happening after a shorter distance, race effort: massive sneeze attack then cold like symptoms for a few days (in endless runny nose, sneezing etc)Any idea what's up? This has happened at 3 or 4 races now.

Has all of this happened recently?  I am asking because I am wondering about mold spores.  One year, I had terrible problems catching my breath every time I exercised outside.  Once the leaves were gone, so was the problem.  It never happened before or since.  I am kind of thinking that we may have had bad mold spores that year?  Dunno.

Someone else had brought that up, too. And it very well could be but this has happened now over the course of 6 months (meaning at least 2 seasons) and on different courses. 

The only thing they have in common is being non-road, shorter events.

The other oddity is that this past race was run in a location where I practice weekly and I hadn't previously had issues. So strange!

I think that I'd start with writing it all down.  I'm thinking that you are breathing much deeper during the harder effort of races and whatever is causing this is getting very deep into your system.  I wouldn't think that it's exercise induced asthma since that typically goes away in under an hour.

All I could find was this Livestrong article

Symptoms such as severe sneezing and congestion often result from allergies to an environmental irritant such as pollen, mold, pet dander or cigarette smoke. Vasomotor rhinitis, also referred to as non-allergic rhinitis, can also cause runners to experience sneezing and congestion.

Very interesting! 

Thanks Janyne. 

2016-11-09 12:58 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by StaceyK

I just have to laugh about how excited American's on FB seem to be about getting a sticker for voting. Come to Australia here they give you a $50 fine if you don't vote.

Ha! Interesting
2016-11-09 12:58 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by StaceyK I just have to laugh about how excited American's on FB seem to be about getting a sticker for voting. Come to Australia here they give you a $50 fine if you don't vote.

Wild! I have given so much thought lately, to the right vs the duty to vote. I don't like the idea of people voting without due diligence. I think it's irresponsible. But of course that can't be forced. And not to mention, even with the best intentions obtaining unbiased information is increasingly difficult to come by. But obviously for democracy to work best, participation is crucial.

At the same time, the majority holds a very important role because they are determining the fate of the minority. And that is really hard when much of the majority has very little exposure to the issues of the minority. 

2016-11-09 1:00 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I checked out the site and it's kinda a cute runaround the "branded" rules.  It's a 226k event and they are calling it a Metric Man.  I'd feel better if they had posted the results from last month's race.  I checked because I wanted to see what kind of participation they were getting but nothing is there :-(

I have my precious list of next year's races, but have not signed up yet... IF my spring marathon feels well I am *thinking* of 50k next December. That would be my fall thingie.

Also, I like the name Metric Man Sounds robot like.
2016-11-09 2:00 PM

Master
Northern IL

Yeah, I only glanced quick as the Piranha name was amusing, but not sure there would be enough going for it to make it the major race of the year.

2016-11-09 2:30 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I did the same thing. It would be fun if it actually crossed the state as that is something I've wanted to do. Run or tri crossing an entire state (which is really only possible in the northeast.)

2016-11-09 2:45 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by rrrunner

I did the same thing. It would be fun if it actually crossed the state as that is something I've wanted to do. Run or tri crossing an entire state (which is really only possible in the northeast.)

Biked across the state.

2016-11-09 2:48 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Biked across the state.

Wisconsin, right?

I was going to mention RAIN -- Ride Across Indiana.  160 miles, one day.  I haven't done that one but I know someone who has.  My longest is from Raleigh to Wilmington.

2016-11-09 3:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Hi My Manatee friends I need some advice.

I have a sprint length tri on the calendar for next weekend - 600/18/6. Problem is for the last week or so I have had a fairly nasty cold that has resulted in a persistent cough and also really affected my ears and my balance. While the stuffy head part of the cold has almost gone the cough and the ear thing have not and they don't show signs of abating soon. This cold has been doing the rounds here this year and the ear issues are part of its normal symptoms, some people find they resolve in a couple of weeks but for some they have lasted months and Drs are pretty much saying that it's a virus, there's nothing they can do you just have to ride it out.

At this point I think I have 3 options:
1. Drop back to the supa sprint - 300/8/3
2. Do the 6k run with my friend K
3. Can the whole thing

I generally do this event every year in some form or another because it was the first one I did (as an adult) and it is held to raise money for breast cancer and honour it's survivors and it's victims, so I also do it in honour of my friend Mary who died from secondary breast cancer 4 years ago. This year I just really don't know that my ears are up to diving into a pool and swimming and I'm not sure that my balance is up to riding. I know I have another week to decide as I can probably change my registration on the morning of the event, but I need to get this out of my head so I would really like to know your thoughts.
2016-11-09 3:44 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi My Manatee friends I need some advice. I have a sprint length tri on the calendar for next weekend - 600/18/6. Problem is for the last week or so I have had a fairly nasty cold that has resulted in a persistent cough and also really affected my ears and my balance. While the stuffy head part of the cold has almost gone the cough and the ear thing have not and they don't show signs of abating soon. This cold has been doing the rounds here this year and the ear issues are part of its normal symptoms, some people find they resolve in a couple of weeks but for some they have lasted months and Drs are pretty much saying that it's a virus, there's nothing they can do you just have to ride it out. At this point I think I have 3 options: 1. Drop back to the supa sprint - 300/8/3 2. Do the 6k run with my friend K 3. Can the whole thing I generally do this event every year in some form or another because it was the first one I did (as an adult) and it is held to raise money for breast cancer and honour it's survivors and it's victims, so I also do it in honour of my friend Mary who died from secondary breast cancer 4 years ago. This year I just really don't know that my ears are up to diving into a pool and swimming and I'm not sure that my balance is up to riding. I know I have another week to decide as I can probably change my registration on the morning of the event, but I need to get this out of my head so I would really like to know your thoughts.

I would wait and see. If the ear thing doesn't clear up then enjoy the run

2016-11-09 4:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

The 226K Metric Man is new for 2017 which is why you aren't finding any participation hints.  I've done some of their (Piranha Sports) sprint distance races.  They put on quite a few beginner tris, sprints, Oly distance 'long' half distance races and a half distance race, taking place in MD, PA, NJ and DE.  The have a du option for most if not all races.  They've got their act together and put on good races, typically.  

Edited by melbo55 2016-11-09 4:38 PM

2016-11-09 4:40 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hi Mary!!!  Glad all is well and congrats on the promotion!

2016-11-09 4:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by StaceyK I just have to laugh about how excited American's on FB seem to be about getting a sticker for voting. Come to Australia here they give you a $50 fine if you don't vote.

My post was meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek.  It was also partly serious - don't stone me here, gang  - but this is the first time I've ever voted.  This is the first time I've felt so strongly about an election that I registered and voted, so I wanted to proudly display my sticker but instead just got the stub to my ballot.  "Lancaster County doesn't give stickers", the lady said, but somehow one of my co-workers from my county had one.  I think he said he got it from one of the Rep/Dem stands out front of his voting location.

Stacey - The $50 fine is surprising!

Edited by melbo55 2016-11-09 4:47 PM
2016-11-09 7:24 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi My Manatee friends I need some advice. I have a sprint length tri on the calendar for next weekend - 600/18/6. Problem is for the last week or so I have had a fairly nasty cold that has resulted in a persistent cough and also really affected my ears and my balance. While the stuffy head part of the cold has almost gone the cough and the ear thing have not and they don't show signs of abating soon. This cold has been doing the rounds here this year and the ear issues are part of its normal symptoms, some people find they resolve in a couple of weeks but for some they have lasted months and Drs are pretty much saying that it's a virus, there's nothing they can do you just have to ride it out. At this point I think I have 3 options: 1. Drop back to the supa sprint - 300/8/3 2. Do the 6k run with my friend K 3. Can the whole thing I generally do this event every year in some form or another because it was the first one I did (as an adult) and it is held to raise money for breast cancer and honour it's survivors and it's victims, so I also do it in honour of my friend Mary who died from secondary breast cancer 4 years ago. This year I just really don't know that my ears are up to diving into a pool and swimming and I'm not sure that my balance is up to riding. I know I have another week to decide as I can probably change my registration on the morning of the event, but I need to get this out of my head so I would really like to know your thoughts.

I would wait and see. If the ear thing doesn't clear up then enjoy the run

I would wait as long as possible too. See where things go. I try to set up a plan & contingencies, but always end up second guessing numerous times until then! Still be aware of options though.

2016-11-09 7:30 PM

Master
Northern IL

Biked across the state.

Wisconsin, right?

I was going to mention RAIN -- Ride Across Indiana.  160 miles, one day.  I haven't done that one but I know someone who has.  My longest is from Raleigh to Wilmington.

Yes, RAW (Ride Across Wisconsin), 175 miles. They did keep it across the easier southern most section, but that's still a LONG day. Near 10 hrs plus stops. Part of that is because it was late August. I think really crossing the state would start somewhere like LaCross or just north and head up the point in Door County, but that would have to be in June and still may not be enough for too many. Probably lose the Trek Team riding it too and Trek might worry it'd interfere with the Trek100, their cancer charity ride.

Been building kind of a bucket list of great big rides like these.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.