General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2011-06-05 11:14 AM
in reply to: #3098185

New user

Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread

Edited by Nottawayblue 2011-06-05 11:15 AM

2011-06-05 5:40 PM
in reply to: #3532189

User image

Detroit Dan - 2011-06-04 10:37 AM
blackchr05 - 2011-06-03 1:18 PM

Hi DD - No reason to put running shrots above 2XU compression shorts - sometimes i do, sometimes i don`t.  I put bike shorts over the 2XU compression shorts for padding.  I just see 2XU compression shorts as an extra layer of skin.

Rev 3:  30% chance of thunderstorms are Rev 3 on Sunday.  High of only 68oF (which i guess is good for quick (relative) times but i was hoping for a heat fest just in case Placid has a mini heat wave in 7 weeks)...  Just booked another trip to Placid in 3 weeks (wedding planning and training).  I kinda like it there.

I did it last night. Put on my tri shorts and tri top. Hosed off (Cold water) brrrrrr. Quick towel dry and put on my bike shorts over the tri shorts. Rode about an hour. umm... my junk felt all smashed together. After the ride I was doing a brick. Took off the bike shorts and then put running shorts over the tri shorts. It all felt wrong. I like the idea though. I think I'll get a pair of swimming jammers. (no pad) and put them on underneath for the whole race.

As we'll have the opportunity for a full dresser, I am planning to use bike bibs on the bike course and the 2XU compression shorts and the tri top on the run. It might take a few extra minutes for a change, but the comfort is essential for me during long distances...works during my long training rides & runs.

2011-06-05 5:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Walworth (Gananda), NY
Had a pretty good day @ Keuka Lake Tri. PR'd by 9'ish minutes for the Olympic. PirateNick, sorry I missed ya out there, then again, maybe I saw you and didn't know it. Hope your race went well, we had some great weather for it. My funny story of the day though is that I had a squirrel decide to run into my rear wheel about 4.5 miles into the bike. It looked like it was going to run the other way, but nope, decided to change directions at the last second. Glad I didn't straight run it over or anything super bad. That'd be a fun one to explain, "Well I crashed because I hit a squirrel during the race."

IM training is definitely helping
2011-06-05 6:01 PM
in reply to: #3533604

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids
Just completed a HIM today. The weather was great the first few hours of the race and then it heated up. By the time I started the second loop of the run the temperature was 92 degrees. My last 6 miles were tough and my second loop took 7 minutes longer than the first. Even with the heat I still completed it in 5:11, good enough for 2nd in my age group (it was a smaller race).
2011-06-05 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3533630

User image

Veteran
Walworth (Gananda), NY
Awesome job pushing through the heat and getting a solid time/place.
2011-06-05 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA

Rev3 Quassy Half Done

6:05:41

Was in position to go 5:30ish off the bike but I underestimated the run course and blew myself up about 4 miles in.  Still had a great race overall.

My biggest issue right now is the major sunburn I have on the back of my shoulder blades. It was looking really bad earlier but now that I've gotten aloe on it I think it should be fine in a few days. Thank goodness the run course was mostly in the shade.

Feeling great going into Lake Placid.

2011-06-05 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3533612

User image

Buffalo, NY

glazebal - 2011-06-05 6:47 PM Had a pretty good day @ Keuka Lake Tri. PR'd by 9'ish minutes for the Olympic. PirateNick, sorry I missed ya out there, then again, maybe I saw you and didn't know it. Hope your race went well, we had some great weather for it. My funny story of the day though is that I had a squirrel decide to run into my rear wheel about 4.5 miles into the bike. It looked like it was going to run the other way, but nope, decided to change directions at the last second. Glad I didn't straight run it over or anything super bad. That'd be a fun one to explain, "Well I crashed because I hit a squirrel during the race." IM training is definitely helping

No worries! I actually saw you on the run but was too out of it to yell.  I had a solid day out there on a beautiful course, finished 2nd overall in 2:08.  I blew up a bit on the run but it was a great day out there.

To add to your squirrel story, I was the lead biker for most of the bike course and the pace vehicle was going nuts laying on the horn trying to get a ton of deer off the road on Sky Line dr.  They were all over the place when I rode through, I soooo though I'd hit one!

Hope everyone else had solid weekends.

2011-06-06 6:07 AM
in reply to: #3533880

User image

Veteran
Walworth (Gananda), NY
Just saw the results, awesome job Nick. I think this was the first time I'd ever seen Jeff Henderson actually in a race, he really laid it down out there. Awesome bike split on a fairly tough bike course.
2011-06-06 7:14 AM

User image

Grant, MI

Thanks for all the advice regarding what to wear for the HIM.  I did go with tri shorts with bike shorts over them for the bike leg and that seemed to work.  Still uncomfortable by the end of the bike, so I think my next step is to look into a professional bike fit  ( bummer since I’ve spent so much on this already).    This event was tough for me and I did not do so well.  It felt like something was rubbing on my bike and the temp got up to low 90’s (after training in such a cool spring) and I felt like I was melting on the run.  I spent a lot of time at aid stations replenishing fluids, but felt it was necessary for the conditions and to avoid a setback during the rest of my training time.  My time was 6:48, but that did include too much time in transition (17minutes) and extra time at aid stations.  By the time I finished, I couldn’t imagine doubling what I had just done.  I guess my next month is going to be busy.  

One issue I have been dealing with is how I feel when I first start swimming.  I feel labored and short of breath for ~ the 1st quarter mile before I relax into a rhythm.  This happens even when I am swimming alone and esp. felt it yesterday with other swimmers.  I thought I would work through by now – even swam 4 times last week to help me feel prepared for the HIM, but still experiencing it.  Has anyone else dealt with this?  Is getting more swim time the way to push through this? 

Someday I hope to post success news  instead of asking for suggestions for issues, but I guess I need advice to help me get there.   

2011-06-06 8:21 AM

User image

Champion

Good job to everyone who raced this weekend! I did a sprint out here in Iowa--placed 2nd in my AG! Now back to the regularly scheduled training. Heading back to Vancouver tonight!

2011-06-06 8:59 AM

User image

Congrats everyone who raced this weekend!!! For those who is not completely happy with their results - "...don't get discouraged. You're carrying a lot fatigue right now, but your taper before the IMLP will take care of that for you."

I did a century ride on Saturday and 16 miles run yesterday. Both days with some descent hills. Great weather and nicely tuned nutrition plan got me through with the smile at the finish. Cool

2011-06-06 9:04 AM
in reply to: #3533865

User image

Regular
Rev 3 racers - how would you rate that for a course y/day? I'm putting that down as the hardestHIM i have ever done (only my 4th).

John, many people crashed at mile 4 on the run. Those up hills were killers - every corner turned was another climb. People were taken off with oxygen tanks and a mate was in ER with heat exhaustion, on an IV drip!!!

Dream Chaser / Kelly / Jay - how did you go?

The run was brutal. IMLP training helped me heaps cause i knew i could go hard on the ride as it was ONLY 56miles (!!!???!!!) Weird to say. Mile 1-3 on the run - ok. Mile 4-5 - nasty but managed to hold it together. Thereafter the Scottish determination held firm and all I thought about was Lake Placid. Swim 35m (PB), Ride 2.55 (PB - first one on a tri bike so technologiy helped), Run 1.44 (happy considering the course). Total 5.24m with 10mins doing my hair in transition. Off to buy a tri suit (back onto our clothing style cause it takes me too long to change).

Met Mirinda Carfrae in the burger line. After a wee chat I realised that she was having one burger, I took two. I guess world champions do not treat themselves live we do :-)

2011-06-06 9:50 AM

User image

New user

This is the first week that I am really starting to feel ready for IMLP!  On monday I did a 6 hr. ride and covered 115 miles, wednesday I had a 2 hr and 30 min run and covered 21.2 miles and yesterday I did 125 miles on my 6 hr 30 min ride!  It finally feels like everything is paying off!

Now I have Kansas in 6 days (no taper) and then back on the grind.

47 days!

2011-06-06 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3534605

Regular
Annapolis, MD
wingedfoot26 - 2011-06-06 10:50 AM

This is the first week that I am really starting to feel ready for IMLP!  On monday I did a 6 hr. ride and covered 115 miles, wednesday I had a 2 hr and 30 min run and covered 21.2 miles and yesterday I did 125 miles on my 6 hr 30 min ride!  It finally feels like everything is paying off!

47 days!

2011-06-06 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3534605

Regular
Annapolis, MD
wingedfoot26 - 2011-06-06 10:50 AM

47 days!

Now I know why your call name is wingedfoot26...21.2 miles in 2.5 hours is smokin'...great training!

Edited by tripadigin 2011-06-06 10:34 AM
2011-06-06 10:37 AM

User image

New user

Rev3 was the hardest Half Iron I've ever done!  I've done Mooseman Half 3x and with their bike course change I didn't think another half could compare.... but Rev3 is just relentless with the hills! 

It was a great training day AND I had a 36 minute PR!  I had a sucky swim after an awesome 2.4 open water swim the weekend before @ 37 min.... a solid bike within my time frame 3:25... and a 1:57 run that I am SO proud of!  I've never broken 2 hours in a half ironman run and I felt awesome pretty much throughout the whole run including the hilly stretches.  I guess that's what happens when you're slow on the bike! I did walk up part of the mile 4 hill but the rest was all running!  I'm super happy with my 6:07 result and this was a great confidence booster for Placid!

2011-06-06 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3534192

User image

Buffalo, NY
glazebal - 2011-06-06 7:07 AMJust saw the results, awesome job Nick. I think this was the first time I'd ever seen Jeff Henderson actually in a race, he really laid it down out there. Awesome bike split on a fairly tough bike course.
Yeah, Henderson is quite the racer, extremely even and calculated. My goal, once I saw him and new I couldn't pace off him because we were in different waves, was to lay into him the best I could on the bike and just hold on from there. I ended up overextending myself on the ride and fell apart during mile 4 of the run. He gained everything back he needed in my last two miles! Ya live and ya learn, I'm ok with it.
2011-06-06 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3534503

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
blackchr05 - 2011-06-06 9:04 AM Rev 3 racers - how would you rate that for a course y/day? I'm putting that down as the hardestHIM i have ever done (only my 4th).

John, many people crashed at mile 4 on the run. Those up hills were killers - every corner turned was another climb. People were taken off with oxygen tanks and a mate was in ER with heat exhaustion, on an IV drip!!!

Dream Chaser / Kelly / Jay - how did you go?

The run was brutal. IMLP training helped me heaps cause i knew i could go hard on the ride as it was ONLY 56miles (!!!???!!!) Weird to say. Mile 1-3 on the run - ok. Mile 4-5 - nasty but managed to hold it together. Thereafter the Scottish determination held firm and all I thought about was Lake Placid. Swim 35m (PB), Ride 2.55 (PB - first one on a tri bike so technologiy helped), Run 1.44 (happy considering the course). Total 5.24m with 10mins doing my hair in transition. Off to buy a tri suit (back onto our clothing style cause it takes me too long to change).

Met Mirinda Carfrae in the burger line. After a wee chat I realised that she was having one burger, I took two. I guess world champions do not treat themselves live we do :-)

It went well for me.  Course was definitely really hard but I've been making a living in the hills lately.  I felt strong though and managed to sneak in <5hrs at 4:58:20.  You can see my race report in my logs.

Hard to get a fast split on that course. Joule had it at 4,200ft of climbing on the bike.  I don't even want to discuss the run though.

2011-06-06 2:26 PM
in reply to: #3534745

User image

aggie21 - 2011-06-06 11:37 AM

Rev3 was the hardest Half Iron I've ever done!  I've done Mooseman Half 3x and with their bike course change I didn't think another half could compare.... but Rev3 is just relentless with the hills! 

It was a great training day AND I had a 36 minute PR!  I had a sucky swim after an awesome 2.4 open water swim the weekend before @ 37 min.... a solid bike within my time frame 3:25... and a 1:57 run that I am SO proud of!  I've never broken 2 hours in a half ironman run and I felt awesome pretty much throughout the whole run including the hilly stretches.  I guess that's what happens when you're slow on the bike! I did walk up part of the mile 4 hill but the rest was all running!  I'm super happy with my 6:07 result and this was a great confidence booster for Placid!

Really great Job!!  I'm so glad we had perfect weather conditions.  I feel bad for the people who do that half the year they get an early heatwave cause there's gonna be A LOT Of carnage on that course!!  They should rename that course 70 hills in  70.3 miles.
2011-06-06 2:29 PM
in reply to: #3532660

User image

RJohnson1979 - 2011-06-04 7:31 PM Wore the tri top today on my 90 miler and forgot one minor detail... sunscreen... I have the worst worst worst sunburn ever in the shape of a tri top on my back. :-( Putting aloe and taking ibuprofin... but they say the peak is between 12 and 24 hours after exposure... Also forgot to wear my road ID but was riding with others and had my license. Why is it sometimes the easiest things that are so hard to remember!?

I bet what you have looks like her lower back.  That's another place I never forget to sunscreen now.  Getting the funky "winged" tri-top sunburn is initiation to Ironman training. 

2011-06-06 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3534387

User image

mndymond - 2011-06-06 9:21 AM

Good job to everyone who raced this weekend! I did a sprint out here in Iowa--placed 2nd in my AG! Now back to the regularly scheduled training. Heading back to Vancouver tonight!

2nd AG -- AWESOME!! 

I had a great HIM race on a tough course yesterday (5:20 Rev3) and all I can think now is: back to training.  For me, only 5 more weekends of Long Rides/Runs!!

2011-06-06 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3533880

User image

Master
syracuse

nice work Nick.

that race has some solid competition, and a 2:08 on that course is no joke.

very impressed--you are one fast dude.

2011-06-06 3:32 PM

User image

Regular
NYC

There were lotsa IMLP folks doing REV3 this weekend! And some of you guys are f'n FAST!

Everyone said that it was a hilly course, but by mile 50 on the bike I was still looking for them   That was one hilly beast- both the bike and run. And my swim time makes it seem like I was swimming uphill, too.

We should've met up on Saturday for a group swim... maybe next year. DC I nominate you as the organizer of next year's group swim at REV3 Quassy.

Great weekend and results for everyone. Hope everyone has a great week of training ahead.

Edited by ironwannabe 2011-06-06 3:45 PM
2011-06-06 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3535504

User image

Regular

Good idea... and i think (not getting too far ahead of myself) that IF i do IMLP next year, i`ll certainly do Rev 3 as a warm up kicking session again..... We can meet up on the Sat and eat the deep fried donut stuff and drink sh**te coffee…. Or, we`ll bring a wee cooler with a 6 pack :-)

2011-06-06 5:55 PM
in reply to: #3535672

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
blackchr05 - 2011-06-06 5:53 PM

Good idea... and i think (not getting too far ahead of myself) that IF i do IMLP next year, i`ll certainly do Rev 3 as a warm up kicking session again..... We can meet up on the Sat and eat the deep fried donut stuff and drink sh**te coffee…. Or, we`ll bring a wee cooler with a 6 pack :-)

The best part of the day was when I noticed they were selling beer next to the food line after the race. They may have only had Miller Light and Corona, but it still made my day.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 112