General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2011-06-06 6:30 PM
in reply to: #3535789

User image

Regular
NYC
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread
drdking - 2011-06-06 6:55 PM
blackchr05 - 2011-06-06 5:53 PM

Good idea... and i think (not getting too far ahead of myself) that IF i do IMLP next year, i`ll certainly do Rev 3 as a warm up kicking session again..... We can meet up on the Sat and eat the deep fried donut stuff and drink sh**te coffee…. Or, we`ll bring a wee cooler with a 6 pack :-)

The best part of the day was when I noticed they were selling beer next to the food line after the race. They may have only had Miller Light and Corona, but it still made my day.

Just after the last aide station on the run a spectator was holding a large plastic cup of beer half empty. I pointed to his beer and said "Now that is what I could use" and he replied "Keep running and in a few minutes you can have your own."

2011-06-06 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3532189

User image

Grant, MI

Detroit Dan

I did it last night. Put on my tri shorts and tri top. Hosed off (Cold water) brrrrrr. Quick towel dry and put on my bike shorts over the tri shorts. Rode about an hour. umm... my junk felt all smashed together. After the ride I was doing a brick. Took off the bike shorts and then put running shorts over the tri shorts. It all felt wrong. I like the idea though. I think I'll get a pair of swimming jammers. (no pad) and put them on underneath for the whole race.

Before you decide to do this, we want to share what we just learned the hard way during Sunday’s HIM.  My husband wore swim jammers (no pad) for all 3 legs – under his wet suit and then under tri shorts.  Even though he had put some chamois cream on, having shorts without a pad caused him to experience rubbing to the point where he even had some skin rub off.  He has decided that he will make sure he has some kind of pad (tri shorts) next to his skin for a long event. 

Edited by ckunst 2011-06-06 9:11 PM
2011-06-07 7:26 AM
in reply to: #3098185

User image

Master
New Jersey
I'll be volunteering (run timing). Just wondering if anyone knows of any housing for 2 people for sat & sunday nights.
Thanks. And good luck to everyone as you get to your final stretch in the training!!!

2011-06-07 8:26 AM
in reply to: #3536069

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit
ckunst - 2011-06-06 9:07 PM

Detroit Dan

I did it last night. Put on my tri shorts and tri top. Hosed off (Cold water) brrrrrr. Quick towel dry and put on my bike shorts over the tri shorts. Rode about an hour. umm... my junk felt all smashed together. After the ride I was doing a brick. Took off the bike shorts and then put running shorts over the tri shorts. It all felt wrong. I like the idea though. I think I'll get a pair of swimming jammers. (no pad) and put them on underneath for the whole race.

Before you decide to do this, we want to share what we just learned the hard way during Sunday’s HIM.  My husband wore swim jammers (no pad) for all 3 legs – under his wet suit and then under tri shorts.  Even though he had put some chamois cream on, having shorts without a pad caused him to experience rubbing to the point where he even had some skin rub off.  He has decided that he will make sure he has some kind of pad (tri shorts) next to his skin for a long event. 

Thanks for the info. The store I went to didn't have swimming jammers so I bought a pair of compression shorts. I tried them on a short bike ride. It felt fine. I'll increase the distance and see what happens.

2011-06-07 8:35 AM
in reply to: #3536442

User image

Regular

I wish I had found the beer post Rev 3 - some German scientist came up with the fact that it helps to rehydrate you.. I'm sure it is BS but I do not care.... I will believe him cause I want to.

Accommodation - good luck. Calling hotels or renting a house is the norm but its late and most do min 3 nights at about $300/ night. Most houses may have gone too. You could google the name of real estate agents and see what is left.

http://www.adirondackassociatesre.com/

http://www.nyvacationrentals.com/browse.asp?regid=1

I volunteered last year and camped. There are two or three camp sites within 10 miles of so of LP. That maybe you best option. Alternatively you could try hotels in Plattsburgh but its a bit of a drive. I assume you are volunteering to sign up for next year - if so, you want to be close and get in line about 5 or 6am.

2011-06-07 12:36 PM

User image

Master
White Plains NY

So I had the race of my life on Sunday! I did a sprint in Tri Ridgefield, CT and won my age group (out of 19)! I also placed 17th overall out of 364 total participants. It was a good day all around!

I just posted my race result here:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=255517

They say the bike is 14 miles, but it really is only 12.5. NO way I was holding 24mph on the bike! haha!

(firstPlaceMedal.jpg)

(triRidgefieldWinSmall.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
firstPlaceMedal.jpg (51KB - 18 downloads)
triRidgefieldWinSmall.JPG (70KB - 16 downloads)

2011-06-07 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3535504

User image

ironwannabe - 2011-06-06 4:32 PM

There were lotsa IMLP folks doing REV3 this weekend! And some of you guys are f'n FAST!

Everyone said that it was a hilly course, but by mile 50 on the bike I was still looking for them   That was one hilly beast- both the bike and run. And my swim time makes it seem like I was swimming uphill, too.

We should've met up on Saturday for a group swim... maybe next year. DC I nominate you as the organizer of next year's group swim at REV3 Quassy.

Great weekend and results for everyone. Hope everyone has a great week of training ahead.

Dude... I'm doing Eagleman next year.  Screw Quassy!!  Wanna see the Bike/Run elevation profile for Eagleman.

Here it is:   ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Edited by Dream Chaser 2011-06-07 1:05 PM
2011-06-07 1:53 PM

Veteran

Did everyone see the news:

http://ironmanuschampionship.com/

Anyone planning their next IM already or is that a bad question to ask during our peak training?

2011-06-07 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3537382

User image

RJohnson1979 - 2011-06-07 2:53 PM

Anyone planning their next IM already or is that a bad question to ask during our peak training?

I'm going to try and get in.  It's going to be a crap shoot.  I'm guessing it sells out in 20 minutes...

2011-06-07 2:28 PM
in reply to: #3537382

User image

Master
White Plains NY

I have already swam in the Hudson. Never again!

I am eyeing Mont Tremblant if I do another one. Sooooooo beautiful up there! And only an 8 hour drive.....3 more than Placid.

2011-06-07 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3537449

User image

Regular
NYC
wstchstrTriathlete - 2011-06-07 3:28 PM

I am eyeing Mont Tremblant if I do another one. Sooooooo beautiful up there! And only an 8 hour drive.....3 more than Placid.

The IM swim is further upstream than the NYCTri and on the New Jersey side of the river. Much cleaner up there! August is pretty hot for a 112 mile bike followed by a marathon, but at least the River Road portion of the race will be shade and the run on the Manhattan side in Riverside Park should be partial shade after about 1.5 miles south of the GW Bridge. Getting from transition up to the Palasades on the bike will be a decent climb as well as the run part from transition to get up to the GW Bridge.

I give the server 2 minutes before it crashes on registration day.

Nice job on your race this weekend! Nice to have some hardware...

Edited by ironwannabe 2011-06-07 8:05 PM

2011-06-07 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3535789

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA

The best part of the day was when I noticed they were selling beer next to the food line after the race. They may have only had Miller Light and Corona, but it still made my day.

I'm really sorry i missed that.  that is so unlike me.  rookie error.  other than that it was a fantastic day and was personally a confidence boost for IMLP.  although i still can't fathom DOUBLING the distance.  geez.

I can now highly recommend Rev3 events and will be back.  And I won't miss the beer next time!

2011-06-08 7:31 AM
in reply to: #3537934

User image

ironwannabe - 2011-06-07 8:40 PM

The IM swim is further upstream than the NYCTri and on the New Jersey side of the river. Much cleaner up there! August is pretty hot for a 112 mile bike followed by a marathon, but at least the River Road portion of the race will be shade and the run on the Manhattan side in Riverside Park should be partial shade after about 1.5 miles south of the GW Bridge. Getting from transition up to the Palasades on the bike will be a decent climb as well as the run part from transition to get up to the GW Bridge.

I just read this article that entry fee is going to be between $750.00 and $1,000.00.   http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-08/new-york-ironman-will-be-world-s-most-expensive-triathlon-at-1-000-entry.html

Zero spectators, no access to your bike the morning of, taking a ferry to drop your bike off the day before, taking the ferry to get back, taking a ferry race morning to get to the dock, taking a ferry after completing 140.6 miles to get your bike, and one last ferry to get home.  Really??  I was intially psyched, but the exorbitant entry fee is a deal-breaker.  I'll be doing LP ins 2012.   
2011-06-08 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3538400

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Dream Chaser - 2011-06-08 8:31 AM

I just read this article that entry fee is going to be between $750.00 and $1,000.00.   http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-08/new-york-ironman-will-be-world-s-most-expensive-triathlon-at-1-000-entry.html

Zero spectators, no access to your bike the morning of, taking a ferry to drop your bike off the day before, taking the ferry to get back, taking a ferry race morning to get to the dock, taking a ferry after completing 140.6 miles to get your bike, and one last ferry to get home.  Really??  I was intially psyched, but the exorbitant entry fee is a deal-breaker.  I'll be doing LP ins 2012.   

Another way to look @ the cost: In per mile $$$'s, you will be paying between $5.33 and $7.11 per mile of the race.

I still think it will sell out in record time!

2011-06-08 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3538526

Veteran
wstchstrTriathlete - 2011-06-08 9:23 AM

Another way to look @ the cost: In per mile $$$'s, you will be paying between $5.33 and $7.11 per mile of the race.

Haha that is funny. What is IMLP costing us per mile? I don't really wanna know...

I'm considering Setup Events Beach to Battleship in Wilmington NC for 2012. I like setup events who puts on the race. They have great food at the end and that's basically how I judge races.

2011-06-08 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3528798

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

mrbbrad - 2011-06-02 9:37 AM Hey gang. Sorry to report a minor setback. Took a very low speed fall on my bike last night. Literally fell on my top tube. Thought I crushed my ribs but"just" bruised. Out of commission for a few days but hope to get in my long ride Sunday. You can read the play by play here

Ok, so now I'm on a bit of a freak out. I haven't been able to train for a week, other than a painful 30 minutes on the elliptical. This is peak volume time in my plan and I've missed a long bike and will most likely miss a long run. I am worried about loss of fitness, ramping back up once I'm able to train, and not being sufficiently prepared to do well at Placid. "Just finishing" is not really a part of my makeup. I've been focused on this goal for over 4 years and I feel like things are slipping away. I am not doing well with this at all. Things had been going great so far, complete with podium finishes for all (2) of my races so far this year. Now this. What the f!

2011-06-08 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3538728

User image

Buffalo, NY
mrbbrad - 2011-06-08 10:35 AM

mrbbrad - 2011-06-02 9:37 AM Hey gang. Sorry to report a minor setback. Took a very low speed fall on my bike last night. Literally fell on my top tube. Thought I crushed my ribs but"just" bruised. Out of commission for a few days but hope to get in my long ride Sunday. You can read the play by play here

Ok, so now I'm on a bit of a freak out. I haven't been able to train for a week, other than a painful 30 minutes on the elliptical. This is peak volume time in my plan and I've missed a long bike and will most likely miss a long run. I am worried about loss of fitness, ramping back up once I'm able to train, and not being sufficiently prepared to do well at Placid. "Just finishing" is not really a part of my makeup. I've been focused on this goal for over 4 years and I feel like things are slipping away. I am not doing well with this at all. Things had been going great so far, complete with podium finishes for all (2) of my races so far this year. Now this. What the f!

Every article I've ever read on injury has stated something along the lines of: it takes about 3 weeks of no workouts to start losing fitness. You have plenty of time. Your aerobic base is already set from earlier in the year so that's not going anywhere too soon.
2011-06-08 9:49 AM

User image

Regular

Brad - take it easy mate.  Make sure you are fully fixed because you do not want to aggravate anything?  Can you swim?  I’m not a medic but its always better to take a day or two not rather than loose a week later.  I was frustrated when I took 2 weeks off for my (still not fixed) hamstring but it was needed and you come back physically and mentally refreshed.

The NYC (Jersey) IM maybe $ but it is less $ for those who live in NYC. Travel to Placid, accommodation make Placid more $ BUT - Placid is awesome, way more scenic and I’m certainly going to sign up for 2012.  I’ll go support the NYC IM - somewhere on the last 6 miles of the run!!!!  Oh, wearing an IMLP 2012 hat, sipping a beer.

2011-06-08 10:42 AM

User image

Master
syracuse

Brad-whats the diagnosis?

been to the doc?  he/she give you OK to train?

any of the 3 sports not hurt to train?

sounds like you bruised your ribs......anything else?

Edited by cusetri 2011-06-08 10:44 AM
2011-06-08 11:58 AM

User image

Seeing your Result from Harriman, you're in great shape.  I've been told you won't truly lose fitness until you stay 100% idle for 14 days.  And even then you lose only a small amount very slowly.  Yes you'll be tight and a little rusty when you start back up, but the physiological changes to your heart, muscle structure and blood volume are not just going to disappear overnight.  Relax... plenty of time left for the build.  Rest.  Heal.  And perhaps return even stronger cause you're getting some Rest. You will be fine.

My buddy across the street bruised his ribs, went to the ER and everything.  Took 10 days and he was back to normal.  You're almost there.

Edited by Dream Chaser 2011-06-08 12:00 PM
2011-06-08 2:14 PM

Veteran

I agree 100% with the other comments about losing fitness but I understand it your concern about being forced to readjust your expectations. I think you'll be just fine! I'd just make sure to talk it over with your doctor and coach (if you have one) so you can make the best decision about how to get back on track when you're ready.  For now, you're doing what you need to do to succeed which is healing... Kind of sucks and a lot easier said than done but you'll be back in the game soon for sure!!! Please keep us posted!

2011-06-08 5:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis, MO

Know how you feel........I've had a 3-week forced taper (severe bronchitis.....zero training) leading up to KS 70.3 this weekend.  And before I got sick I was a bit behind on my bike miles but my running volume had been fine.....so.....

I'm going to make do with the fitness I have and structure my last few weeks to be heavy on the bike endurance and try to be smart about not overdoing it too much.....I will just give it what I've got on race day......and have a hell of a lot of fun doing so!!!

Paul

2011-06-08 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3537286

User image

Dream Chaser - 2011-06-07 2:04 PM
ironwannabe - 2011-06-06 4:32 PM

There were lotsa IMLP folks doing REV3 this weekend! And some of you guys are f'n FAST!

Everyone said that it was a hilly course, but by mile 50 on the bike I was still looking for them   That was one hilly beast- both the bike and run. And my swim time makes it seem like I was swimming uphill, too.

We should've met up on Saturday for a group swim... maybe next year. DC I nominate you as the organizer of next year's group swim at REV3 Quassy.

Great weekend and results for everyone. Hope everyone has a great week of training ahead.

Dude... I'm doing Eagleman next year.  Screw Quassy!!  Wanna see the Bike/Run elevation profile for Eagleman.

Here it is:   ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

That's very similar to Hermann Memorial 70.3 Texas _______________^^___Flaaaaaaaat.

2011-06-08 7:06 PM
in reply to: #3538526

User image

wstchstrTriathlete - 2011-06-08 9:23 AM

I'm a New Yorker and IM in NYC would be a perfect plan, but I have my eyes on IM France.

2011-06-08 8:33 PM

User image

Regular
Silver Spring, Maryland
Lodging question, currently booked at the Inn at Mirror Lake but could get a room at Ledge Rock at Whiteface and save 1200 for the stay. Anyone have knowledge of either place and is it worth 1200 to be on the lake?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 112