BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2008-12-28 8:25 PM
in reply to: #1856528

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL
Back home from sis's house safe and sound. Pool reopens tomorrow morning...will probably swim Tues. morning. Otherwise: bike after work tomorrow, run Tues. eve (w/ swim in AM), possibly a 1st ever trainer/run brick if time permits on New Years Eve. Probably a long run Thursday, long bike Friday, since I have both days off.

Happy training...and have a safe and sane New Year everyone!

2008-12-29 6:35 AM
in reply to: #1874497

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Poster Nutbag - 2008-12-28 1:04 PM

Sorry for the product plug here, but I am completely sold on aero bars!  Installed the new entry level Profile Design Aerolites and went for a ride yesterday.  Took some time to get used to the control of the bike, but once comfortable I was easily 3mph+ over what I normally ride.  Maybe I was pushing harder, maybe it's the body position that makes it easier ... whatever, I don't care, I was fast!

It was insanely windy yesterday along the coast and some northbound stretches I could only hit 12mph ... kept thinking, "you've GOT to be kidding me!".  Brutal and my legs are sore today, but when the wind died down or I was heading south, it was very, very pleasant.  I thought that the aero position would be a killer based on using the drops, but it's actually quite comfortable.

I'm hooked.  If you don't have aero bars and have been considering the benefits, I'd say go for it. 

I don't mind product plugs at all.  I find them helpful.  I'm in the midst of a discussion with myself about whether to spend the money for a new tri bike or to equip a road bike with aero bars.  Anyone have thoughts?  Also, I haven't watched it yet, but I just noticed a video on the BT home page on this very topic.   

Have a LiveSTRONG week.

Iceman 

Edited by IceManScott 2008-12-29 6:36 AM
2008-12-29 10:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

Scott,

Right now, there is no discussion for me ... a tri bike just ain't happening!  Aero bars are my only option for another year or so, but so far I'm loving them! 

2008-12-29 11:05 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Re aerobars: I've just finished my second season on road bike with clip-on aerobars and I definitely recommend them (the clip-ons) for anyone doing Olympic or longer races. Might not be worth the money (initially) if you are only training for sprints. Main reason for me, more than aerodynamics, is the ability to change position and rest hands/wrists over long distances.

I started out with PD Jammers, which are supposedly designed for road bikes, then put PD T2+ bars on my 2nd road bike. I like the T2+'s alot, but it took awhile to get the position tweaked to where I want it. When we bought a pair for my wife recently, we bought Jammers...they are cheaper and--in my experience--easier to adjust to initially.

When my Jeopardy! winnings come in mid-February, I am going to break down and upgrade to a better bike...probably a tri bike, but might just get a carbon road bike...still deciding. I do want to have less weight to drag around my IM (and Wildflower HIM) this year, either way. The more (and longer sessions) you ride on the roads, and esp. the hills, the more you notice the weight and responsiveness factors.
2008-12-29 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

Okay, goals for the  week:  None.

I've got a trail race (10k) on Sunday, so I'll do some running and a long bike ride early this week and will taper a bit towards the weekend, but no set criteria.  I want to swim ... but it's cold and I'm a baby and unless I just have to get out of the house, I probably won't get to the pool this week.

So that's it, almost ... I've got a 12 pack of good beer being shipped to me from Belgium, so my other goal is to make it last.  Save one Westmalle for after each race this year.

2008-12-30 12:40 AM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA

Hi everyone! Happy Monday! Well, I totally sucked as far as last week's goals. Didn't train once. I've been so unmotivated and so frustrated with it. I really need to pull out of this. The good news is that I did train today. Had a great run and did some walking. Then I did core training and some lower back exercises. Hoping to follow it up tomorrow with a bike ride.

As far as goals for this week, I just want to do some form...any form...of aerobic activity for 6 of the 7 days. If I feel burnt out on training, then I will just get out and walk, or play soccer with the kids or hike or something. I gotta get that consistency back!

Have a great week, everyone!

2008-12-30 12:49 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

First off, Susie, I'm sorry for your situation but I guess a new year is as good a time as any to make a fresh start.

My goals this week: Did a run today already. Add at least one more and then a long run on Sunday.

Swim 2x before Sunday -- one of them being a Master's session

Bike 1 or 2 x

Core work 2 x

Stay positive/spend some time with my family and appreciate what is.

Maybe write a little summary of my last year with regard to s/b/r.

2008-12-30 7:41 AM

User image

Regular
Leesburg,

Hi all!  Sorry for the lack of logging, inspires, and forum checking... I was out of town for pretty much all of last week with very limited access to the internet.  The good news is that I got to spend a loooooot of time with my family and friends... the bad news is that I barely got any work outs in.  However, the better news is that I PICKED UP MY NEW ROAD BIKE!!!  I am soooo excited... it's a 2008 Fuji Roubaix Pro!!!  I am still working on it (attaching the cyclometer and clipless pedals and I am ordering a new seat) but I can't wait to get it out on the road.  I am going to put some clip on aero bars next month or so (I have a gift certificate to a bike shop in Northern VA so I will get them from there the next time I travel up north!).  Needless to say, I am excited 

So I looked at my planner and I realized that my half marathon training starts this week (the runs are extremely short though)... I can't believe how quickly time flies by!  My goals for the week are to run three times, bike twice, and swim twice... and get lots of core work done in between. 

2008-12-30 7:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Thanks to all of you for the inspiration.  I'll try to do better about posting on yours. 

I started the week Sunday with a swim, bike (indoors, winter sucks) and a 5K run.  I biked indoors on Mon day.  Swam this morning with the Masters, Tuesday.  Kathy plans to meet me at the gym after work so I should have enough time to run and bike indoors.   Off to a good start.  But the gyum closes early on NYE and we have dinnner plans.  Gym is closed totally on NY but weather should be good enough to run outside, though cold.   I also have to finish out Christmas visits on Friday which requires a lot of driving.   

My weekly goals are to finish with 3 swims, 5 bikes and 3 runs.  I should get it done with th start I've had.

Congrats on the new road bike!  I love new bikes.  Still trying to figure out what to do about the tri bike versus road bike thing.  I know if I get into this tri thing big time and want to do a half or even full iron, then everything I've read and been told points to a tri bike to try to save the legs for the run.  But as a friend my age who has done several ironmans says, you ride 112 miles and your legs are toast no matter what you do.  I already know I'll be doing the marathon in a run/walk style of an ultra marathoner.   

2008-12-30 10:24 AM
in reply to: #1877218

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
sealiongirl - 2008-12-29 10:40 PM

Hi everyone! Happy Monday! Well, I totally sucked as far as last week's goals. Didn't train once. I've been so unmotivated and so frustrated with it. I really need to pull out of this. The good news is that I did train today. Had a great run and did some walking. Then I did core training and some lower back exercises. Hoping to follow it up tomorrow with a bike ride.

As far as goals for this week, I just want to do some form...any form...of aerobic activity for 6 of the 7 days. If I feel burnt out on training, then I will just get out and walk, or play soccer with the kids or hike or something. I gotta get that consistency back!

Have a great week, everyone!

FWIW, I'm a big advocate of walking as a component of training when you can't (or just aren't up to a) run. Walking daily got me through the three weeks my arm was in a cast last year and I couldn't swim, bike or run.
2008-12-30 2:07 PM

User image

Master
So here's my news.

We've come to a "we're taking a break" agreement that I'm pretty happy with.

But I've gained even more weight.

I'm considering joining a Weight Watchers group that meets at lunch at my office. And a local gym (that I don't belong to) is having a Biggest Loser contest with cash prizes, so I'm considering doing that as well.

2008-12-30 3:09 PM
in reply to: #1878136

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Offthegrid - 2008-12-30 12:07 PM

I'm considering joining a Weight Watchers group that meets at lunch at my office. And a local gym (that I don't belong to) is having a Biggest Loser contest with cash prizes, so I'm considering doing that as well.

Weight Watchers was a big success for my wife (lost 60+ lbs in 6 mos. w/out exercise) and I've learned quite a bit from the materials/principles she's gotten from them. Strong recommend from me.
2008-12-30 9:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I second the thumbs up for WW.  I lost 100 pounds on it once..no exercise so I put it back on...and then some.  This time I did high protein, low carbs and lost a bunch, then added fuel as the exercise increased on the bike.  Kathy is using WW now and I'm on it too for support to take off the last few I want to drop.  We are using a points system that like last time really gives a well balanced approach of vegetables, grains, fruits and carbs in moderation.  I never skip meals and I never feel hungry.   The cross training really accelerated the loss.  It will stay off now because of the total lifestyle change toward fitness. 

Good luck and stay with it.  Figure out lots of small rewards and celebrate often.

2008-12-31 12:34 AM
in reply to: #1879008

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Looks like I'm preaching to the choir here -- but Weight Watchers works. As long as you approach it as a lifestyle change and not a "diet." I lost 30# 8 years ago (hubby lost 50#) and have kept it off, which was always my challenge. Between my activity and watching and monitoring my food intake and choosing healthy, ,filling (read low point) foods I can keep the hungries away. I also find that eating several smaller meals a few hours apart really works better to keep your metabolism going and burning fat for fuel. I also decided to work for WW part time and have been there for about 6 years so if you have any questions, I'll be happy to help out. It's really an honor for me to watch and experience the weight loss journey for people who come in. I watch them go from the proverbial caterpillar to butterfly. Another key is to stay connected to the program -- attend meetings once reaching goal and/or stay connected to friends/family who are supportive. Also, remember not to deprive. I also learned that I ate not just for hunger but for comfort and emotional reasons so understanding what I was really hungry for became an aha moment for me.

Okay -- I'm off the soapbox!

Btw-- I had a most excellent "hard" day today -- rode with DH about 27 miles and hills. There was one hill that was about 2 miles long and at one point was 11% grade. OMG. Of course I was watching my DH getting smaller and smaller up ahead, but I just kept plugging away and made my world really small -- which means I didn't look too far ahead and just focused on getting up this monster incline. Then, my swim tonight was great. Got some nice feedback regarding my stroke from the coach and I'm okayed to use some paddles now. He thinks my stroke is pretty "dialed in" to use his words. I've been working so hard on technique I was beaming.

On a totally unrelated subject -- Anyone seen Benjamin Button, the new Brad Pitt movie? We were thinking about going tomorrow.

2008-12-31 1:04 AM

User image

Veteran

I was going to type something about the weight loss discussion....started looking for a place to set my pie down so I could type......dang you irony!

My two cents on the tri bike discussion. Biggest argument against one to me is you can't ride them in many group rides/races etc. That's a deal killer for many people. Biggest argument for one is that they are designed to be ridden in the aero position. Their geometry is such that you will use muscles differently, and generate more power, thus be faster in the aero position.  That's a lot of boiling down, but I think those, for me, are the primary issues.

It's a hard time of year to stay consistant in training, with all the travel, company out, etc. Enjoy, it's almost over and time to get to work. (Yeah, I just gave myself a pep talk out loud)

Jake

2008-12-31 7:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

To tell the truth, the Benjamin Button previews didn't look too enticing.  We went to Seven Pounds on Christmas Day instead.  It was OK, just OK. 

I agree totally on WW having to be a lifestyle change and not a diet.  Diets seem like punishment.  Lifestyle changes are much more positive.  I can't just stop bad habits.  I have to replace them with good ones.  It was a balancing act when it came to riding long distance. How much to eat and still lose?  I started to watch calories in versus the estimated calories out at 400- to 500 per hour.  Seems to work.  No bonking. 

Also, another key has been hydration.  I always heard eight 8 oz glasses of water were enough.  Not for athletes.  My nutrition coach bumped me up to 80 to 100 ounces a day minimum.  I worried a bit as a prostate cancer survivor about incontinence.  But no problem there and I've been doing it, feeling better and body functions are all A-OK.   

Thanks for the advice on the bike.  I've got two great road bikes.  I built a LaMond Ti with Dura Ace, my first build up.  I previously bought a Giant TCR C1 with Ultegra. (The performance difference between Ultegra and Dura Ace is so minimal it can't be distinguished.  Dura Ace is just shinier.  Don't spend the extra money.  I did only because I got a deal on eBay.)  

Both bikes are great.  The Giant is faster.  The titanium is more comfortable than even carbon.  So I have bikes for group rides.  The issue only is whether the money invested in the Tri bike would be justified in saving the legs on long distances if I go for a half Ironman or a full one down the road.  I'm 57 now.  I'd like to compete into my 70s.  Hey, the longer I go, the more competition dies off so I'll have a better chance to place.   

If you can't beat 'em, outlive 'em.

Edited by IceManScott 2008-12-31 12:47 PM

2008-12-31 10:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Happy New Year everyone.  It's 10 o'clock, I took the wife out to the best restaurant in town, we had sugar free cake and strawberries when we got home and now I can't keep my eyes open.  I hope you all have a wonderful night and a great 2009. 

May all your goals be met and exceeded. May all your troubles become merely challenges that offer opportunities for growth.   May you see love everywhere, because in the end, that is all that really matters.

2008-12-31 10:27 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Getting ready to head out for a quiet party with some friends...hope y'all have a very happy New Year!

(Any resolutions anyone wants to share? Any they want support with?)
2009-01-01 2:20 AM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA

Happy 2009 Everyone! We were supposed to go to a "kid-friendly" New Year's Party, but it was called off today because the host was sick. Oh well! We ordered pizza, watched movies, made some ice cream then made a lot of noise at midnight to annoy our neighbors!

Hope everyone is having fun tonight!

2009-01-01 9:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I ran an hour non stop for the first time ever today.  At least, the first time in the past 40 years.  Seems like ever.  I saved the run to today because the gym is closed and running is somethng I can do outside.  The ice is gone, but still about freezing.  I went to the rail-to-trail and started with the plan to run the hour.  I just kept going, turned at 33 mintues and came back.  Stopped at an hour, gave myself a round of applause, walked four minutes and then ran the 5 minutes I still had to get back to my pickup.  I was very pleased.  That's a long way from the one minute run, four minute walk I did when I started the couch potato to 5K program in August. 

I'm really thinking I might be able to do a half ironman by the end of 2009.  The swimming is coming along great, the bike should be my best event and the running is coming along. 

Friday is an enforced rest day as it appears now.  I have to make a road trip to see people to finish Christmas up. I'll probably bike and swim on Saturday, then run and bike again Sunday.  I with it would stay in the 40s, I might be able to ride the bike outside.  I envy you folks when I see the training logs with weather showing temps in the 50s to 70s.  Winter in Illinois is just not that way.

Edited by IceManScott 2009-01-01 9:29 PM
2009-01-02 9:06 AM

User image

Master
I've kinda seen a lot of movies lately. So here's my reviews:

Seven Pounds - it's a rental. An OK movie, but characters were not developed enough.

Marley & Me - Read the book instead. The movie just did not do it justice.

Curious Life of Benjamin Button - I liked it. A lot of messages about going after your dreams.

Yes Man - I liked this one also.

Quantum of Solace - OK to see in theater but it's a guy film.

Next up I'd like to see Twilight. The books are mildly entertaining (I'm on the fourth now), but I heard the film isn't great.

2009-01-02 9:11 AM

User image

Master
Here are my resolutions:

1. Diet:
- Follow a regular eating schedule and eat 5-6 times/day
- Be more diligent about hidden gluten
- Eliminate soda

2. Emotional
- Stop calling myself names (lazy, fat, etc.)
- Do meditation and relaxation exercises to deal with stress

3. Exercise
- Set monthly workout goals (for January: swim, bike, walk 3x/week each)
- Weight train 2x week
- Stretch daily

I'm joining a Weight Watchers group at work starting in the middle of the month to give that a try. I'm not worrying about quitting when I reach goal since goal is soooooooo far away.

I'm also joining a Biggest Loser contest at a local gym after work today.

(edited for typo)

Edited by Offthegrid 2009-01-02 9:17 AM
2009-01-02 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1881903

User image

Master
IceManScott - 2009-01-01 10:28 PM

I ran an hour non stop for the first time ever today. 

congratulations!

2009-01-02 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Ironman Lake Placid volunteer signups start Monday! This year I'm hoping for bike handler. Or maybe special needs bag. I have done run aid station twice in the past.

They don't offer a chance to sign up for finish line catcher, so that is a bit sad. I could have used some of that motivation.

I'm glad it's Friday.
2009-01-02 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Congrats, IceMan Scott on your long run. That's really great to see progress. Isn't it?  I predict you will do that HIM this year. ..no crystal ball required.

Great goals Susie. That seems like a lot of changes all at once. Take it easy on yourself, okay? 

BTW-- I agree with you about Benjamin Button. It was very Forrest Gump-like and I guess they had the same screenwriter. It covers the years 1918 to about the mid '70s.  I'm not a big movie-goer. It's hard for me to sit for that long and this movie was almost 3 hours including all the previews. It was a good thing to do with my cold. I forgot how miserable you can feel with just a silly cold. I am feeling better today and really want to run. I did nothing much yesterday and even took a nap. I do kind of like these holidays.

Hope you are all enjoying these last days of holiday time. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 45