BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-01-01 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2559007

Regular
Soutwest Florida
Subject: RE: Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED
Man glad I didnt spend any more time away from the computer. Had a lot of catching up to do from goals to ct to trainers and coaches. All this inspirational. I train and workout to be in good shape and healthy the races are just a reason to push on those long days knowing there is a reason to get to the pool again or get on the road. I am focusing on running and MTB right now the roads are crazy with all the snow birds. lol First race of the season is a trail half mary. Should be fun never did one then more off road riding doing a 50 miler first of next month. Then a marathon (Gasparilla) going to kick its butt unlike last year when the weather helped in kicking my butt.

The best part about this forum it there is a lot of information to pull from even if I am just reading. Only my second season and already punched the ticket for the full Ironman in Coz. So I have a little time before I start ramping things up. But before you know it spring will be here. Plan on doing a HIM too but havent decided if Augusta is the place to be. It should fit into my trng schedule pretty close.

Big goal for me is to stay healthy and injury free. Lots of stretching needed dont do enough. Any pointers on that would be great. Had a calf strain a week before my big race last year still worries me.

2010-01-01 5:42 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN

I’m new to swimming, and have been using swimplan.com to help with swim workout ideas.  In addition, the videos on facebook help demonstrate the drills.  I’m finding this new exercise very enjoyable.

Today, IIRC, I did my longest single set ever.  At least I hope I counted it correctly.  Any tips for counting laps? 

Also, later in the day, I got a dull pain on the outer sole of my left foot.  Is this because, coming from a running background, I have inflexible feet/ankles?  Are there stretches to help with this?  Heck, what are any stretches for swimming?

2010-01-01 7:17 PM
in reply to: #2585721

User image

New user

Boston, MA
Here are my goals for this year:

1. Start eating more like an athlete than a college student.
2. Start making regular Top 3 AG finishes in road races.
3. Have at least one Top 3 AG finish in a triathlon.
4. Finish Top 5 AG in Timberman HIM.
5. Qualify for Boston (more of a next year and a half goal).
6. Take care of my injuries before they get cuh-razy painful. I did really well with this this past year, but if I don't make it a goal every year, it won't happen.
7. Break 2:00/100yd in the swim.
2010-01-01 9:23 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Hey all,

Hope everyone had a happy new year!  We sure did.  I am still down in St. Louis with my in-laws and they have the worst internet connection known to man kind.  Its worse than dial up, as they live in the country and have to get it through some satellite deal that sucks bad.

Anyway, it looks like there is some good conversation and motivational topics going on and steve is doing a very good job of answering the mentoring questions.  I just read through the last couple of pages that I missed and wanted to add a few things:

- Suzy - The PT I got from craigslist is the PT wired version.  I believe an SL and I love it.  I think all the PT are bomb proof (knock on wood).   As you know, I trainin in everything and this PT has been through some wicked storms where I had to ride through puddles that were above my chainstay (no kidding)...and it kept on ticking.  I also have the wireless version on my race wheels, which is also very, very nice.  I did it similar to you, in that I got the CT about 3 years ago, then the wired PT 2 years ago, and then the wireless for racing last year. 

- Ryan - I love, love, love running/riding in the early mornings.  I have all kinds of headlamps, and night gear.  Running at 4:30/5am is sometimes my only option with 3 kids and the need to go long and still work and keep everyone happy.  Its great to be out there with a full moon, etc.  Very calming and surreal.  I hope you keep up with it and advise anyone looking for some extra time to train to go to bed a little earlier and get up a little earlier.

-  Ryan - Steve summed up very well how to get the most out of your rides.  With two HIMs, I would definitely go long and "slow" on the weekends.  The endurance will be key.  I would build up to 3.5-4 hours, as well.  I find that going longer than the race at a slow pace, makes the 56 miles seem short.  I like the idea of doing higher intensity during the week, and maybe start with the 4x6' thresholds, but build that up as the season goes on to get the most out of each session.

- Also, I can't imagine Steve in the military, either

- I like the goals.  Since we have lost a little momentum in our forum with the holidays, I think we should all post at least our main goal for 2010.  Maybe, we should also sign our posts with our real first names to help everyone get more involved.  I suspect once the year gets going, we will have a core group and it would be nice to get to "know" everyone that is still actively involved in our group.

- My main goal for next season is to beat my HIM PR.  I think I will take two shots at it.  There are a bunch of other goals that will build up to that, but that is my main goal.

Happy new year!

Scott

2010-01-01 10:26 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Okay, I'll play...

I was thinking about my goals for 2009 which were to improve at the swim, finish my first HIM with a smile and to BQ (a goal that I set in August after feeling good about that first HIM!

I was able to accomplish all of those goals, but realistically, they were fairly vague goals (other than the BQ).

For 2010, I am going to attempt to be more specific about my goals.

Here we go:

For swimming, I would like to be able to improve technique considerably so I can consistently swim at or below 2:00/100 yds.  Keep a positive attitude about OWS.

Increase cycling fitness, which will include training with purpose!  Yes, Steve, I will do those tough workouts!

Continue to run without injury by staying proactive with regards to stretching, core work and foam rolling/trigger point.

Set a PR at my A race, Vineman 70.3, and finish in the top 25% of my AG. 

Stay healthy, healthy, healthy, so that Suzy and I can run Boston 2011 and set PR's

Happy New Year's to all!
2010-01-02 4:28 AM
in reply to: #2588590

User image

Master
Orlando

I have a simple triathlon goal for 2010 - to do one!  I will start a master's swim class later this month, so with all the running I already do, I just have to add in the bike and I'm on my way.

For running my goal is a sub 4 hr marathon, my PR is 4:07; so there's a little work left, but if I stay injury free -another 2010 goal - I hope to reach that time at my Feb marathon.

Happy New Year!
Ann-Marie 

2010-01-02 5:30 AM

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
My goals aren't very elaborate.

1.  Finish my trail marathon in April sub 4:00 (a very hilly course)
2.  Give IM Wisconsin my all in training and finish it happy and healthy.
3.  Be motivated enough to do it again next year (unless I KQ. ha, ha)
2010-01-02 7:52 AM

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI
I have some goals, some which I will not speak aloud for fear of jinxing myself. Yes,  I am superstitious.

1. Be more grateful.
  2. I would like to drop 5-7 pounds between now and March. That will put me in my idle weight range for training and racing.
  3. I hope to become a much stronger cyclist this year.
  4. Crush my time for my 2010 A race. It was a super challenging, tough course for me. I want to go back this year in better physical condition and give it everything that I got. Watch out Elkhart Lake!!
2010-01-02 9:46 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN

I think in this past week I've solidified my goals for this year.

1- Run at least seven races in the MDRA Grand Prix.  This is a 13 race series with distances           from 5k to marathon. 
2- Help my brother run his first marathon.
3- Finish three tri's. Including, 2:30 at the LTF Oly this July ('A' race one).  Really, I’d like to beat a friend of mine who did about 2:35 last year.
4- 3:10:59 or better at Twin Cities ('A' race two), BQ for me.
5- Run and Ride at least 1250 miles.  And keep swimming, not sure on a year-long distance goal yet.

Dustin

2010-01-02 8:03 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
OK - looks like we have some great goals.  I have a list that I will throw up and update as we get everyone's response.  I know the first names help me at least identify with everyone.  Hope it helps you all as well.

Schmize - Scott - HIM PR
Steve- - Steve - ?
SSMinnow - Suzy -
TracyV - Tracy - Elkhar Lake PR, Others
kt65 - Kim - Boston Qualify
amd723 - Ann-Marie - 1st Tri, Sub 4hr Mary
knewbike - Kevin - IMWI Finish, Sub 4hr Trail Mary
DTraitor - Dustin - Finish 3 Tris, Sub 3:11 Mary
Rymac - Ryan - ??
eddievolley - Eddie - ??
deathbyzamboni87 - ?? - ??
jhagerman - Jeremy - Worlds
2010-01-02 8:21 PM
in reply to: #2589960

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
See below.

schmize - 2010-01-02 8:03 PM OK - looks like we have some great goals.  I have a list that I will throw up and update as we get everyone's response.  I know the first names help me at least identify with everyone.  Hope it helps you all as well.

Schmize - Scott - HIM PR
Steve- - Steve - ?
SSMinnow - Suzy - Finish IM WI, HIM PR (which shouldn't be hard , Half Marathon PR which will be a stretch
kt65 - Kim - Boston Qualify
Rymac - Ryan - ??
eddievolley - Eddie - ??

2010-01-02 10:07 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
schmize - 2010-01-02 6:03 PM OK - looks like we have some great goals.  I have a list that I will throw up and update as we get everyone's response.  I know the first names help me at least identify with everyone.  Hope it helps you all as well.

Schmize - Scott - HIM PR
Steve- - Steve - ?
SSMinnow - Suzy -
kt65 - Kim - Boston Qualify  Done!  December 2009 3:27:15!
Rymac - Ryan - ??
eddievolley - Eddie - ??

Hey Scott, Thanks for doing this...but um...maybe my post was way too wordy, already got the BQ, you can talk to your partner Coach Steve...main goal is to PR my HIM time at Vineman from last year and hopefully break 6 hours
2010-01-02 10:08 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
My goal for 2010 is simple but not easy.  Updated below in green.

• Schmize - Scott - HIM PR
  • Steve- - Steve - Have every single one of my athletes reach their 2010 goals.
  • SSMinnow - Suzy - Finish IM WI, HIM PR (which shouldn't be hard, Half Marathon PR which will be a stretch
  • TracyV - Tracy - Elkhar Lake PR, Others
  • kt65 - Kim - PR my HIM time at Vineman from last year and hopefully break 6 hours
  • amd723 - Ann-Marie - 1st Tri, Sub 4hr Mary
  • knewbike - Kevin - IMWI Finish, Sub 4hr Trail Mary
  • DTraitor - Dustin - Finish 3 Tris, Sub 3:11 Mary
  • Rymac - Ryan - ??
  • eddievolley - Eddie - ??
  • deathbyzamboni87 - ?? - ??
  • jhagerman - Jeremy - Worlds

Edited by Steve- 2010-01-02 10:13 PM
2010-01-03 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2590162

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI
I added a big one for me. A sub 1:20 at DC could give me the OA female winner. It is a huge race, over 1000 participants. This is my biggest goal. I am firm believer in putting it out there. So, let me put it out there.

Steve- - 2010-01-02 10:08 PM My goal for 2010 is simple but not easy.  Updated below in green.

• SSMinnow - Suzy - Finish IM WI, HIM PR (which shouldn't be hard, Half Marathon PR which will be a stretch
  • TracyV - Tracy - Elkhart Lake PR, Sub 1:20 Door Cty Sprint (Help STEVE!!!!!)
  • kt65 - Kim - PR my HIM time at Vineman from last year and hopefully break 6 hours
  • Rymac - Ryan - ??
2010-01-03 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2590162

User image

Champion
SJ--I LOVE THAT GOAL!

Steve- - 2010-01-02 10:08 PM My goal for 2010 is simple but not easy.  Updated below in green.

• TracyV - Tracy - Elkhar Lake PR, Others
  • Rymac - Ryan - ??
2010-01-03 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2590161

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
kt65 - 2010-01-02 10:07 PM
Hey Scott, Thanks for doing this...but um...maybe my post was way too wordy, already got the BQ, you can talk to your partner Coach Steve...main goal is to PR my HIM time at Vineman from last year and hopefully break 6 hours

Kim - I apologize.  I didn't realize you were *that* Kim!  Congratulations, on the awesome accomplishment. I saw that you planned on running Boston in 2011 and didn't put it together. 

So, I *assume* this will be your first time?  If so, you are in for the time of your life!

Edited by schmize 2010-01-03 11:28 AM

2010-01-03 11:31 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

OK - Keeping this list updated.  I also added another big one of mine.  I also, have the same goal as Steve for my athletes.

• Schmize - Scott - HIM PR and NYC Marathon Qualify
  • Rymac - Ryan - ??
2010-01-03 11:35 AM
in reply to: #2590393

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida
  • Rymac - Ryan - ??
  • eddievolley - Eddie - Sub 5:30 Half Ironman @ Racine 7/2010 (God willing my Post.Tibial Tendonitis doesn't hamper my running)

I'm going to have to commit quite a bit of time to my swim and keep up my biking in order to keep from wasting too much energy in the 1st two disciplines because of bad form and efficiency. 

Edited by eddievolly 2010-01-03 11:38 AM
2010-01-03 11:43 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago
Ok everyone.  I am going to offer up to everyone a swim stroke "review" for just the people in our mentor group.  The month of January tends to be a bit slower for me so I will commit to you that if anyone gets to me a video of them swimming by January 15th I will take a few moments to look it over and give you feedback.  You can either email me the video, FTP the video to me, or send snail mail to me.

Anyone interested just be sure I get the file by 1/15 so I can have time to review it.
2010-01-03 2:31 PM

User image

Champion
I have been working on learning bilateral breathing for a few weeks and am having a lot of difficulty.  I find that I tend to lift my head out of the water and let my arm drop too soon which forces me to kick to try to regain balance.  None of it is pretty and all of it is frustrating.  Anyone else experience this? thoughts on how to improve?  I have a lesson on Thursday, but was hoping to make some progress before then.

Thanks
Suzy
2010-01-03 4:16 PM

Regular
Soutwest Florida
Quick post did my first half marathon trail run put it up on the race site and it was awesome. Missed the podium by 4 minutes wish I was either younger or older I would have placed oh well awesome race for me. 1:48 my time for half for the race remember it was a trail run. Who would have thought there were hills in South Florida. Cant wait for the next one.

2010-01-03 4:21 PM
in reply to: #2590655

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Steve- - 2010-01-03 11:43 AM Ok everyone.  I am going to offer up to everyone a swim stroke "review" for just the people in our mentor group.  The month of January tends to be a bit slower for me so I will commit to you that if anyone gets to me a video of them swimming by January 15th I will take a few moments to look it over and give you feedback.  You can either email me the video, FTP the video to me, or send snail mail to me.

Anyone interested just be sure I get the file by 1/15 so I can have time to review it.

Peeps - Jump on this, if you can.  Steve has an excellent eye for the proper swim stroke.  He has helped me with mine, and know he can help you with yours.  Just grab a camera, get around the midpoint of the pool, warmup, and have someone take a video of you going back and forth.  Thats it.  Seeing yourself on video is enlilghtening in itself and to have someone like Steve look at it is all the better.
2010-01-04 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2590639

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

OK - Keeping this list updated.  I also added another big one of mine.  I also, have the same goal as Steve for my athletes.

• Rymac - Ryan - Sub 4:40:00 at both HIM's; AG Podium all other Tri's
  • eddievolley - Eddie - Sub 5:30 Half Ironman @ Racine 7/2010 (God willing my Post.Tibial Tendonitis doesn't hamper my running)

Edited by rymac 2010-01-04 11:03 AM
2010-01-04 5:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Delaware
Hello All, have had a hectic couple of weeks, with lots of work and minimal training. Actually logged something today, so hopefully this'll be me up and running! Slightly intimidated by everyone else's training, but hey, we all have to start somewhere . Looking to get some consistent training in over the next few weeks. Feel free to email me if I go quiet.
2010-01-04 5:10 PM
in reply to: #2592451

User image

Veteran
Delaware
  • Rymac - Ryan - Sub 4:40:00 at both HIM's; AG Podium all other Tri's
  • Scotmedic- Scott- Chesapeakeman finish. Finishing before it's pitch black would be a bonus.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21