Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2010-04-18 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2799506

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: BikerGrrrl's Group - CLOSED
smartstrongsexy - 2010-04-18 12:10 PM steve - i'd have to agree.  sometimes i hate the workout through the first part, then i can push through and not care.  when i run its always the first mile.  and i promise myself if i still feel that wa on mile 2 i can quit.  only once have i actually done so.

its hard to know when your body needs rest, and your mind just doesn't want the hassle.  i think 10 minutes is a good rule to tell which is is.

has anyone here done a tri swim in a pool?  i keep hearing these horror stories about how i'll get hit a million times.  both people who've personally done the tri i'm doing have said that they'll consider a duathlon in the future - but never again a pool tri.

Congrats on your walk!  I can spend 3 hours running, but the idea of being out there for 8 hours, whether it's walking or running, just doesn't appeal to me in the least.  Probably the main reason I'll never do a full marathon, lol!

I've done 2 tri's with pool swims.  I didn't have trouble with either one.  Of course, I was seeded towards the back so with a lot of the slower people.  Both were serpentine swims - for one you went up one lane, back down the other, up the next, etc.  For the other one, it was a little more crowded.  We had to go up and back in one lane, then move to the next, go up and back, etc.  I think those are the ones where it can get a little frustrating.  If people don't estimate their time correctly, they can really slow down the people around them and it can be hard to pass when you've got people going both ways in the lane. 

2010-04-18 4:31 PM
in reply to: #2769762

User image

Expert
Missouri
Well the weekend plans didn't go quite as plannedUndecided.  I just couldn't make myself go out for a run yesterday.  I felt like I had to do something though.  It was a beautiful day and I couldn't let it go completely to waste.  So I pulled out my bike, cleaned and lubed it, checked the tires, etc., and went for my first real ride this spring!  It was just a short, easy ride - just enough for me to get re-acquainted with the gears and brakes and stuff like that.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I had figured that after spending most of the winter riding a stationary bike at the gym, that switching back to a real bike would feel strange and I wasn't sure how my legs would react.  It went well.  Granted, it was only a short ride, but I felt strong the whole time.  Makes me feel that I'll be fine for the bike portion of my tri next month. 

Since I didn't do my run Saturday and did a ride instead, I ended up just driving to the gym this morning for my swim.  The plan that I'm following called for some drills and just a simple 100 along with a w/u and c/d - total of 700 meters.  I ended up doing 1500 meters!  Not all at once (I'm still working on that Tongue out) - I just added some sets in before my c/d.  That's the farthest I've ever done during a swim session.  I'll admit it wore me out a little but it felt good.  Came home, had some lunch, took a short nap, then made up the run from yesterday.  So I got all the workouts in that I wanted to, just not exactly the way that I had planned. 
2010-04-18 5:06 PM
in reply to: #2799789

soccermom15 - 2010-04-18 5:17 PM
Congrats on your walk!  I can spend 3 hours running, but the idea of being out there for 8 hours, whether it's walking or running, just doesn't appeal to me in the least.  Probably the main reason I'll never do a full marathon, lol!

I've done 2 tri's with pool swims.  I didn't have trouble with either one.  Of course, I was seeded towards the back so with a lot of the slower people.  Both were serpentine swims - for one you went up one lane, back down the other, up the next, etc.  For the other one, it was a little more crowded.  We had to go up and back in one lane, then move to the next, go up and back, etc.  I think those are the ones where it can get a little frustrating.  If people don't estimate their time correctly, they can really slow down the people around them and it can be hard to pass when you've got people going both ways in the lane. 

thanks   i'm signed up to run the disney marathon in January, and something about this walk reassured me that i'll be fine.  i know there is a difference in walking and running, but these hills were hard and disney will be flat.  also a big difference in being on your feet 5 hours versus 8+.  plus we didn't really train for this walk, just counted on our over all fitness carrying us through (and we threw in a couple of long hikes leading up to it).

one of the girls on my team yesterday had done the same tri i'm doing, and she just suggested me staying toward the back.  since i'm not a strong swimmer any way that's what i'm planning on doing.  and its the kind that goes up one lane and down another.

good job getting all your workouts in this weekend.  doesn't matter what order you do them in as long as you get them banked.
2010-04-18 6:04 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
Another week-end of doing nothing..Frown.  Kidney stones got to the point of pain medicines, so I just rested.  I have a 100 holes of golf fund raiser on Friday, Sun up (6:30 AM) until just before dinner (5-5:30 PM), so it is a long day, so I am tapering this week to keep my arms fresh..  Sat I have a 5K race over the bridge and back, will probably do a 2/1 or 3/1 jog/walk ratio on it.  Just want kidney stones to behave this week. 
2010-04-18 6:08 PM
in reply to: #2799938

otter_sh - 2010-04-18 7:04 PM Another week-end of doing nothing..Frown.  Kidney stones got to the point of pain medicines, so I just rested.  I have a 100 holes of golf fund raiser on Friday, Sun up (6:30 AM) until just before dinner (5-5:30 PM), so it is a long day, so I am tapering this week to keep my arms fresh..  Sat I have a 5K race over the bridge and back, will probably do a 2/1 or 3/1 jog/walk ratio on it.  Just want kidney stones to behave this week. 

easier said than done i'm sure, but try not to get too frustrated.  this is just one of those things in life that sucks and is out of your control. 
2010-04-19 6:46 AM
in reply to: #2799805

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

soccermom15 - 2010-04-18 4:31 PM I ended up doing 1500 meters!  Not all at once (I'm still working on that Tongue out) - I just added some sets in before my c/d.  That's the farthest I've ever done during a swim session.  .... 
\

Nice job!!!! 

2010-04-19 6:47 AM
in reply to: #2799938

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Sorry to hear that.   Hopefully you'll feel well enough to do some s/b/r soon.

otter_sh - 2010-04-18 6:04 PM Another week-end of doing nothing..Frown.  Kidney stones got to the point of pain medicines, so I just rested.  I have a 100 holes of golf fund raiser on Friday, Sun up (6:30 AM) until just before dinner (5-5:30 PM), so it is a long day, so I am tapering this week to keep my arms fresh..  Sat I have a 5K race over the bridge and back, will probably do a 2/1 or 3/1 jog/walk ratio on it.  Just want kidney stones to behave this week. 

2010-04-19 1:42 PM

i'm giving trail running a try tonight.  i've got a trail near my house and have a friend going along with me to make sure i don't slack too much on pace.

2010-04-19 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2801871

User image

Veteran
Plainfield, IL

smartstrongsexy - 2010-04-19 1:42 PM

i'm giving trail running a try tonight.  i've got a trail near my house and have a friend going along with me to make sure i don't slack too much on pace.

How was your run?  I should start to look for some trails around here, it might make me a little more motivated to get out and run outside.  Or at least a nice run through a forest preserve or something, I get bored quickly running in my subdivision.

2010-04-19 8:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Plainfield, IL

So how is everyone's week looking?  Any big training plans this week?  Races this weekend?

I am doing my first 5K this Saturday in years.  It literally has been 4 years since I have done a 5K run, so it should be interesting.  Just looking to finish, not looking to kill any records.    Hopefully it goes well and keeps me motivated to start the half marathon training.

2010-04-20 7:32 AM
in reply to: #2802954

swimmom2002 - 2010-04-19 9:09 PM

How was your run?  I should start to look for some trails around here, it might make me a little more motivated to get out and run outside.  Or at least a nice run through a forest preserve or something, I get bored quickly running in my subdivision.

it went really well.  i went with my husband and a friend who's faster than me, but they both did a good job of sticking with me, but also challenging me to push my pace.

we've got a wildlife refuge 3 minutes driving time from my house (closer as the crow flies).  it was absolutely beautiful!

it was a little more difficult due to the terrain, but definitely something i'm going to do again.

good luck with the race this weekend! have you been training for it, or are you just going to let your basic fitness carry you?

2010-04-20 8:23 AM
in reply to: #2803539

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Awesome!  Was it a technical sort of trail (i.e. roots, dirt, etc) or a path?  Either is great and will make you stronger.  I have a crushed rock path that I love to do my longer runs on. It's a bit softer and shady.  I have a "real" trail run that I do for a race that's starting to be a tradition.  Unfortunately I don't get much practice for that, so it's an ankle-twister - literally.  I actually fell and skinned my knee pretty good last year.  I need to look into getting trail shoes... 

smartstrongsexy - 2010-04-20 7:32 AM

it went really well.  i went with my husband and a friend who's faster than me, but they both did a good job of sticking with me, but also challenging me to push my pace.

we've got a wildlife refuge 3 minutes driving time from my house (closer as the crow flies).  it was absolutely beautiful!

it was a little more difficult due to the terrain, but definitely something i'm going to do again.
QUOTE]

2010-04-20 9:23 AM

Hey everyone! I've been coming by 2x a day to read/catch up but haven't had much to say. Thats usually good bc it means training/life is on schedule Smile But I do have a few questions if anyone cares to chime in:

1)I learned to swim last yr in anticipation of the 09 tri season that never happened. So I'm still not great in the water. My question is....I would like a resting stroke, something to fall back on in case I get tired/winded/hit in the face/panicked. For some reason I can't breaststroke, I find it 100x more tiring than freestyle so I'm assuming I"m doing incorrectly?? Anyone have any tips?

2)Until I buy a new bike, I do many of my rides on a spin bike at the gym. I know things are widely variable but I usually use light resistance (enough so the flywheel isn't pulling me along) , high cadence (85-95) and throw in 2-3 1/2 mile climbs. I'm doing 15-16 miles in 40 minutes. Thoughts on if this time might be close to what I'll get on a road bike on a flat road course?

Lauren
2010-04-20 9:24 AM
in reply to: #2803539

User image

Expert
Missouri
smartstrongsexy - 2010-04-20 7:32 AM

good luck with the race this weekend! have you been training for it, or are you just going to let your basic fitness carry you?

Trail running is something I would love to try.  The parks department here does a trail series every fall that I want to do, but with my ankle problems I'm almost afraid to try it.  I guess I could start with a short run and see how it goes. 
2010-04-20 9:32 AM
in reply to: #2803897

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hey Lauren!  I was wondering if a few folks had abandonded us already

I often use the side stroke as a rest/sighting stroke.  The benefit is you can see where you're going and you don't flail too much into other folks.  I have also used the backstroke, which is great but has obvious problems.  Will you be wearing a wet suit?  You might not need another stroke, it will be fairly easy.  You could slow down to catch your breath.

I hate to say this, but I would be surprised if you would average 22.5 mph on a road course (that's 15 miles for 40 mins).  However, I think your training sounds solid and you'll still do well.   I would throw in a few more minutes of harder resistance.  Maybe not climbing resistance, but stong enough to raise your heart rate and tax your muscles for a minute. 

LaurenCO - 2010-04-20 9:23 AM Hey everyone! I've been coming by 2x a day to read/catch up but haven't had much to say. Thats usually good bc it means training/life is on schedule Smile But I do have a few questions if anyone cares to chime in:

1)I learned to swim last yr in anticipation of the 09 tri season that never happened. So I'm still not great in the water. My question is....I would like a resting stroke, something to fall back on in case I get tired/winded/hit in the face/panicked. For some reason I can't breaststroke, I find it 100x more tiring than freestyle so I'm assuming I"m doing incorrectly?? Anyone have any tips?

2)Until I buy a new bike, I do many of my rides on a spin bike at the gym. I know things are widely variable but I usually use light resistance (enough so the flywheel isn't pulling me along) , high cadence (85-95) and throw in 2-3 1/2 mile climbs. I'm doing 15-16 miles in 40 minutes. Thoughts on if this time might be close to what I'll get on a road bike on a flat road course?

Lauren

2010-04-20 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2803900

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I feel a little like Debbie Downer today - sorry!  I just wanted to caution that the trail running is very hard on ankles.  So yes, please start small. 

I also realized that my preference for loose shoelaces is bad for trail running.  Make sure your shoes on are nice and snug.

soccermom15 - 2010-04-20 9:24 AM
Trail running is something I would love to try.  The parks department here does a trail series every fall that I want to do, but with my ankle problems I'm almost afraid to try it.  I guess I could start with a short run and see how it goes. 

2010-04-20 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2803897

User image

Expert
Missouri
LaurenCO - 2010-04-20 9:23 AM Hey everyone! I've been coming by 2x a day to read/catch up but haven't had much to say. Thats usually good bc it means training/life is on schedule Smile But I do have a few questions if anyone cares to chime in:

Lauren

Hey Lauren!  Sorry I can't help with the swimming - I'm terrible at breast stroke (can't get my legs to do what they're supposed to, lol!) so I'm planning to just flip onto my back if I need a breather. 

As for the riding - I've been using a stationary bike at the gym all winter, doing random hill programs and occasionally just riding easy.  I can usually average about 12-13 miles in 40 minutes, so a little slower than you do.  I took my road bike out over the weekend for my first ride of the spring and did 7.32 miles in about 35 minutes.  Granted I wasn't trying to break any speed records - just riding easy to get re-acquainted with the bike - and my fitness may not be the same as yours, but I think overall you will probably be a little slower out on the roads just due to the different conditions.  You'll be dealing with possible road hazards, weather, changing gears, etc.  I could be totally off the mark here though, so hopefully someone with a little more bike experience will chime in.
2010-04-20 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2803937

User image

Expert
Missouri
BikerGrrrl - 2010-04-20 9:38 AM

I feel a little like Debbie Downer today - sorry!  I just wanted to caution that the trail running is very hard on ankles.  So yes, please start small. 

I also realized that my preference for loose shoelaces is bad for trail running.  Make sure your shoes on are nice and snug.

Don't be sorry!  I know I have weak ankles (thanks dadSmile) and that, along with my tendonitis issues is why I haven't tried it yet.  If I do decide to give it a go, I'll definitely talk to someone about a good pair of trail shoes.
2010-04-20 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2802960

User image

Expert
Missouri
swimmom2002 - 2010-04-19 8:11 PM

So how is everyone's week looking?  Any big training plans this week?  Races this weekend?

I am doing my first 5K this Saturday in years.  It literally has been 4 years since I have done a 5K run, so it should be interesting.  Just looking to finish, not looking to kill any records.    Hopefully it goes well and keeps me motivated to start the half marathon training.

Let me try this again - I was posting and go kicked out!

Good luck with your 5k this weekend! 

I'll be doing a 10k Saturday morning, probably in the rain.  I don't mind rain too much - have done races in it before - and the temps will be decent so not a big deal.  Just have to remember to bring some dry clothes along for afterwards. 

Anyone else racing this weekend?
2010-04-20 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2803937

BikerGrrrl - 2010-04-20 10:38 AM

i could definitely tell parts of my legs were getting a workout that normally don't.  mostly stabilzer type things that can typically sleep through a flat run.

the trail is in a wildlife preserve and is mostly just a field that has had a path mown through it, although there are some rocky/rooty parts to the trail. 
2010-04-20 1:40 PM

swimmom2002 - 2010-04-20 7:11 PM

Sounds fun! I don't have any races planned until Aug, so I'll be living vicariously through all of you until then.

Steve,
Sorry about the kidney stones, nothing is more frustrating than forced "breaks" during training.

Edited by LaurenCO 2010-04-20 1:42 PM
2010-04-20 1:47 PM
in reply to: #2803921

BikerGrrrl - 2010-04-21 8:32 AM

Hey Lauren!  I was wondering if a few folks had abandonded us already

I often use the side stroke as a rest/sighting stroke.  The benefit is you can see where you're going and you don't flail too much into other folks.  I have also used the backstroke, which is great but has obvious problems.  Will you be wearing a wet suit?  You might not need another stroke, it will be fairly easy.  You could slow down to catch your breath.

I hate to say this, but I would be surprised if you would average 22.5 mph on a road course (that's 15 miles for 40 mins).  However, I think your training sounds solid and you'll still do well.   I would throw in a few more minutes of harder resistance.  Maybe not climbing resistance, but stong enough to raise your heart rate and tax your muscles for a minute. 

Thanks, yeah when you wrote it out at 22.5 mph I realized that isn't a speed I'll be hitting out on the open road lol.

I better up the resistance a bit and hurry up on the bike shopping!!

I will be using a wetsuit but just in case, I'll have to read up on the sidestroke. Sounds like what I'm looking for.

Soccermom,
Yeah my legs don't know what to do either during the breaststroke. They go all wonky.  A girl at my pool breaststokes and she looks so relaxed and happy, and she swims as fast as my freestyle swimming.  Frustrating.
2010-04-20 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2804883

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I should add that I also am not able to do the normal kick for a breaststroke.  I can do something that looks like one above the water, but that's about it.  It's definitely not a "resting" stroke for me! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BikerGrrrl's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20