General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-07-19 7:16 AM
in reply to: #4319435

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group
enders_shadow - 2012-07-19 7:29 AM Yeah me! I made it out of bed at 5:15a and out the door in running clothes. Unfortunately my hips were a little sore (I've changed up/amped up my routine recently) so I walked 2 instead of running 3, but I'm going to count it as a win since I did it. Tomorrow's am is a swim - so hip won't matter as much for that.

Nice job getting up and out!  Huge win!

2012-07-19 7:17 AM
in reply to: #4306637

User image

Elite
Connecticut
I'm procrastinating going for my run.  My excuse was I needed more coffee but I just finished my last cup.  Soooooo, I should get off my arse and move.  3 miles today.  It's a bit cooler today too so I should take advantage of that.  Riding with my son (9 y/o) this afternoon/evening.  I'm excited for that.
2012-07-19 7:29 AM
in reply to: #4319478

User image

I set out my running stuff last night in anticipation of a strong run this morning. But when the alarm went off this morning it was a different alarm... my Thursday men's prayer group alarm. WHAT? It's Thursday?!?! So, no run for me today. I guess I should have done a swim/run yesterday.  Oh well, I suppose now I will count this as a rest day and do a long run or ride tomorrow, then a long on Saturday and rest on Sunday.
2012-07-19 7:54 AM
in reply to: #4318810

New user
Twink - 2012-07-18 5:23 PM

This might be the answer for getting up in the morning. Carpet alarm clock!

awesome!!! lol

Got a run in last night (3k), felt terrible in the humidity at the start but I got into a  rhythm and the second half felt great. Hoping to get a workout in tonight and then off to the cottage for a week, I'm hoping to bring up my old mountain bike and like is nice for OWS so should be a great week!

2012-07-19 8:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Just finished my 9 miles on the bicycle.

• 1st lap = 20:16
  • 2nd lap = 22:22
  • Total = 42.39
  • Avg = 12.6 mph

The second lap definitely felt harder.  Spent most of the lap one gear lower than I did it in the first lap.  I can't wait for the new bike!  The rear is now doing funky stuff in 3rd and 4th as before, but sometimes in 5th as well.

Every morning Cindy and I get passed by this pair of grandmothers who are really supportive and very sweet.  I've observed them walking the little loop for the last 22 years.  They are really an inspiration as they will walk even in the rain or snow.  Anyway, Cindy bought me some new training clothing yesterday and I wore a pair of the shorts today.  As usual, the grandmothers came up behind us and passed.  When we got to our turn around point Cindy happened to walk behind me for a little bit.  She burst out laughing and almost had to stop she was laughing and coughing so hard.  Then she pulled this sticker off the middle of my butt cheek.

BRIGHT YELLOW - NEW!  Improved Fit

Edited by leatherneckpa 2012-07-19 8:49 AM
2012-07-19 10:13 AM

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio

Great job everyone!  I am supposed to be in taper week for Saturday nights trail run, but I am in the Tour de France Challenge for Team Garmin, so beating my husband on Team BMC is prime goal for this week!  I have biked more this month than I have all year!  

LauraLynne - You got that money girl!  Keep at it, I hop on the pity train sometimes too, but we always get off at a better stop!  You are doing great!  

2012-07-19 11:02 AM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
Here's my bike ride this morning..  I'm going to try to run tomorrow morning...
2012-07-19 11:10 AM
in reply to: #4319959

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

SoberTriGuy - 2012-07-19 12:02 PM Here's my bike ride this morning..  I'm going to try to run tomorrow morning...

Nice ride!  Those outputs are sick.  What model Garmin do you have?  I think that's my next big investment but I'm going to hold off for a bit.  I'm not too concerned about the swim distances and times, seeing as I hardly ever swim, but I'd love to have some more info on my bikes and runs.

2012-07-19 11:36 AM
in reply to: #4319979

User image

I'm liking that data too. That would give me a lot of info to hyper-analyze while at work and thinking about training and improving on it.
2012-07-19 4:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona

Just noticed this group and it seems like a wonderful idea (great stuff Bikergrrl, who I have to say has given me some great inspiration/advice in the past!).  Can I join, can I join? Laughing

Quick intro - ex-pat Brit living and working in Arizona, 40 +/- 10 years old, 5'10", 175-180 lb Athena.  I've done 5 sprints (1:52 down to 1:34), numerous OWS, Splash & Dashes and 5k runs over the last 1.5 years, lost 70 lbs in the last 2 years, and I'm planning my first Olympic in late September.  Ex-competitive swimmer, love the biking, but hate hate hate the running!  Coming back from an ITB injury on both knees/hips last December. Love the training (except the long runs) and the races, as it makes me feel SO ALIVE!

Training plan for tonight - guess what - long run session. Yell  45 mins last week on the gym treadmill, sweating so much I could have done an OWS in the puddle beneath me, and I need to do 50 mins this week!  I hate Thursdays, but love Mondays and Wednesdays (short run + killer spin class), Tuesdays and Fridays (1-1.5 mile swim), and Saturday or Sunday (usually a simulated reverse/mixed-up sprint tri + extra 0.5 mile swim at the gym).  I don't work from a training plan, I just make mine up to fit into my crazy work schedule, but it seems to keep me on out of trouble and enjoying the races. 

Off to Australia in 2 weeks (one week vacation in Perth with my old friends, who I haven't seen in 7 years since I left) and one week conference in Cairns, with a weekend Great Barrier Reef boat trip planned.  My first real vacation in 1.5 years, I can hardly wait!!!!!  Already got some Olympic pool swims and riverside runs planned in Perth!

Cheers, Jo

2012-07-19 8:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Added my swim to today's workouts.  Started with ten minutes in the hot tub, then the pool, then 10 minutes in the sauna.  The 700 yards swimming looked like this:

• 50x10, all under 30 seconds
  • 100x2, both under at/under 60 seconds
  • LOTS of heavy breathing and stretching in between
This YMCA membership may be the best $50 bucks a month I've ever spent.  Remind me why I stopped going there so long ago?

2012-07-19 10:36 PM

Hi all! I hope its okay to jump in. I've been reading a lot of the posts on this thread and its been a great inspiration. I'm 3 months off a back surgery, which no doubt had a lot to do with my weight. I hit an all-time high of 307 just before the surgery and am now around 290-295.

Right now I'm sticking to mostly swimming, and when ma nature allows it, biking. My Tuesday goal of riding to the gym (10 mi) and swimming before work was quickly quashed by a spectacular lightning storm. Most of the country is in the worst drought in decades, and in north Idaho there is a flood warning for all the rivers for the next 24 hours...go figure.

Most of my workouts happen in the morning or on a long lunch break. Luckily for me, 5am is normal; 6am is sleeping in. My motivation is that if I do it at 5am, I get to see my family in the evening times. Plus, early mornings in the northwest are absolutely awesome.

22 miles on the bike today. Maybe a light swim tomorrow. And then 10 miles to the gym, swim for an hour, and 10 miles home on Saturday.

2012-07-20 6:23 AM

New user

didn't get workout in last night, was packing for cottage and ran out of time (or at least that's my excuse, but I'm mad at myself today that I didn't go).

Off to cottage for a week, hopefully I can get in lots of training and get back on track...

2012-07-20 6:38 AM
in reply to: #4320813

User image

Elite
Connecticut
wartho - 2012-07-19 5:33 PM

Off to Australia in 2 weeks (one week vacation in Perth with my old friends, who I haven't seen in 7 years since I left) and one week conference in Cairns, with a weekend Great Barrier Reef boat trip planned.  My first real vacation in 1.5 years, I can hardly wait!!!!!  Already got some Olympic pool swims and riverside runs planned in Perth!

Cheers, Jo

I love Cairns!  I took my three kids (3, 1, 6 months at the time) on a vacation there years ago while my husband was deployed.  We had the best time!  The people were so friendly and helpful.  I would go back in a heartbeat.

Funny enough, my hubby visited Perth on that deployment and he loved it too!  I think we are Aussie's at heart.
2012-07-20 6:41 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
I think today might be a rest day.  I'm not sure.  I was supposed to ride w/a friend (trirific10) but it's raining.  So, no go.  I could run but I have run 2 days in a row. I think I'll play it by ear.

Also, I took my 9 y/o on the bike path last night for his first ride of a significant distance.  He did awesome and we cranked out 8 miles.  I'm so proud of him.  He's had a lot of challenges in his short 9 years but he did amazing. 
2012-07-20 7:53 AM

User image

Today was pseudo-long run day for me.  Alarm went off at 5:30 and I was really enjoying my bed, but I got up (no snooze!).  Started with some noobie yoga stretches, grapes and water.  Set the tunes and off I went. I decided to use runkeeper app today since endumondo has failed on my last 2 bike rides. I have the coaching set for every 0.5 miles but I might have to change that to 1.0 miles. My run started off a little awkward and slow. It took almost the full first mile to get in rhythm, 10:22 pace. Mile 2 was better. My breathing got in sync and my pace got better, but my form still felt off.  I wish I knew my pace but runkeeper app doesn't show mile split times!!! Sigh. Pace over the next 2 miles stayed pretty steady and I was able to reduce my average pace over the whole run to 10:03 for 4.05 miles.

Tomorrow...bike, 12 miles is my goal. I guess I'll spend some time on mapmyride today to get a good one.

2012-07-20 7:56 AM
in reply to: #4321274

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

Welcome DB.  Sounds like you're putting in some good mileage for just coming off back surgery.  It's so great if you can get the workouts done in the morning, I know I always feel better the rest of the day if I can tear the covers off.

Figures today is the first sub 85* day in what seems like forever but I've got dinner plans tonight so I don't think I'll be able to sneak out much.  Was on kid duty last night and this morning but I did manage to do P90X Chest and Back last night while the kid was sleeping.  Happy Friday everyone!

2012-07-20 8:17 AM
in reply to: #4321429

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
ebshot - 2012-07-20 7:41 AM

Also, I took my 9 y/o on the bike path last night for his first ride of a significant distance.  He did awesome and we cranked out 8 miles.  I'm so proud of him.  He's had a lot of challenges in his short 9 years but he did amazing. 

WAY TO GO, KIDDO!!!

I love it when I can exercise with my kids. Haven't worked up to that long a bike, though...now I'm inspired to try with my 10 yr old.
2012-07-20 8:20 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Happy Friday!

The scale dipped below 180 for the first time in years. I'm so excited! (I'm not a tall Athena, I'm a fluffy Athena.)

I called an audible this morning on the workout though. The alarm went off at 5:15. I got out of bed planning to swim, but my legs were sore and I was tired. I'm assuming it's because of the ramp up in my workouts, so I intentionally went back to bed. Plan to do some yoga/pilates this afternoon to stretch the soreness so I can run/ride this weekend. (I'm just starting - I've never gotten into that but my tightness is telling me maybe I should give it a shot - I picked up some yoga for runners stuff.)

Have a great day!
2012-07-20 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4321548

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

enders_shadow: Good idea about the yoga. I easily fall out of the habit of doing it, but when I do it makes such a huge difference!

I managed to hit the pool for a quick 700 last night. It seems silly to mess with showering, etc, for just a 15 minute workout but longer swims make me hate the pool.  I have  race tomorrow, so a rest day tonight!  I am going to give my bike a long overdue bath and chain cleaning.

2012-07-20 9:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

6:15am - Cindy's walk - 1 mile - 20:08 - I consider this to be more of a supplemental calorie burn than training.  But at my level (only been exercising for five weeks so far) every little bit helps.  She was griping right from the start about how her heart wasn't in it today because of the rain.  Said she'd be happy with 21:00 or less.  Oh My Goodness, you should have heard her scream when she saw her time!  She was SO bent out of shape because she was only 8 seconds over 20.  LOL, I'll bet she motivates better tomorrow.

8:30am - 2 miles - 34:39 - Today is what I call a "test day".  It would have been SO easy to just call it a day with Cindy's walk.  After all, I did walk, just not my planned amount.  Mental discipline won (today) and I went for my training walk and shaved 21 seconds off.  As usual, after the fact, I am glad I forced myself out the door.

2012-07-20 10:27 AM

User image

Expert

ebshot - 2012-07-20 6:41 AM I think today might be a rest day.  I'm not sure.  I was supposed to ride w/a friend (trirific10) but it's raining.  So, no go.  I could run but I have run 2 days in a row. I think I'll play it by ear.

That's Awesome!  My oldest is working on her swimming so she can do her first triathlon in October. Her summer goal was to run a 5k by the end of summer, and she is almost up to 2 miles, but has been focusing on her bike since she got her training wheels off!  

Congrats to your munchkin!  Our middle daughter has been doing great on her bike, and I am more than thrilled to credit her occupational therapy for that.  She is even talking of doing soccer.  She amazes me everyday with what she goes through, and she is probably my biggest inspiration!  

2012-07-20 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4321698

User image

Expert
leatherneckpa - 2012-07-20 9:16 AM

6:15am - Cindy's walk - 1 mile - 20:08 - I consider this to be more of a supplemental calorie burn than training.  But at my level (only been exercising for five weeks so far) every little bit helps.  She was griping right from the start about how her heart wasn't in it today because of the rain.  Said she'd be happy with 21:00 or less.  Oh My Goodness, you should have heard her scream when she saw her time!  She was SO bent out of shape because she was only 8 seconds over 20.  LOL, I'll bet she motivates better tomorrow.

8:30am - 2 miles - 34:39 - Today is what I call a "test day".  It would have been SO easy to just call it a day with Cindy's walk.  After all, I did walk, just not my planned amount.  Mental discipline won (today) and I went for my training walk and shaved 21 seconds off.  As usual, after the fact, I am glad I forced myself out the door.

Sounds like you and Cindy are doing great!  I always feel better when I force myself out the door, except the days when I go and my legs feel like total lead!  Keep it up, you are both doing amazing!! 

2012-07-20 10:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights

This is awesome!  I'm proud of him and I don't even know you guys!!!

My 4 y/o decided on Memorial Day that he was done with training wheels, and took off on his cousin's bike (first time he'd ever tried riding without trainers)...since that day, I can't get him off the darn thing!  It's great...we took our first "bike trail" ride last night.  It was only a 3.2 mile out-and-back, at about 6 mph, but I loved every second of it.  And now he's been telling everyone that "I go on BIG bike rides like Daddy".  Our local event organizer has "Tri for Kids" events at each race: 50m swim, 3 mi bike, 1 mi run.  I've already told Nate he can enter one next year if he can swim across the pool (they do the swim parallel to shore so the kids could stand up anywhere, so it's still safe).  I think I have a new training partner...he (and I) can't wait!

2012-07-20 11:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights

I flat-out skipped my workout this morning (swim workout from Wednesday that had to be missed due to meetings).  Alarm went off at 5:00, but I didn't hit the pillow until 3:30 after spending the night on the couch with a sick  2 y/o.  Hoping to get away from work this afternoon for a swim before picking up the kids.  If not...I'm not going to stress about it.  Swim is the only part of my 3-sport repertoire that I'm not HORRIBLY slow at, so if I miss a swim this week I'm not too bothered.

Kudos to all of you who already logged today's miles/meters/minutes.  Anybody racing this weeeknd???

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 45