BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-01-04 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4549087

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-01-04 11:29 AM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED

Kristen has something in her blog about a one word mindset for the year.  I kind of like that idea.  One word that you want to use as your guiding force this year whether personally, professionally or in your triathlon season.  Mine is FOCUS.  Now I want to come up with an acronym to fit the word and make it even more meaningrul.

Try and come up with one!

2013-01-04 11:50 AM
in reply to: #4562045

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED
Fred D - 2013-01-04 11:19 AM
UTTriman - 2013-01-04 9:59 AM

Well, after a battle with the mattress (I won) I got a solid swim in this morning... Yes!

Had the same battle and same result.Feel much better for getting that swim in myself.Congrats!
That makes 3 of us!
2013-01-04 11:56 AM
in reply to: #4562067

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Fred D - 2013-01-04 11:27 AM Thoughts and questions for the day? 1. Focus on consistency is the key for January. Keep on getting out of bed and swimming, biking and running. 2. I am moving my road bike to the trainer this weekend. Will only ride the cross bike outside for the next two months unless it gets in the 40s. Going to do a trainer ride this weekend I hope. 3. I hope to start running again next week, but being careful. Questions? 1. What is on tap for today's and this weeks training? 2. Any good topics of conversation we should get into?

Today is a RECOVERY day! I used to complain about them, but now I take them willingly knowing one of my key goals is always to remain injury free.  Tomorrow's a long run and then I kick off HIITS training on the bike on Sunday.  Oh, and I get to cheer on the Packers.  Can't wait!

2013-01-04 11:58 AM
in reply to: #4562075

Champion
QueenZipp - 2013-01-04 11:29 AM

Kristen has something in her blog about a one word mindset for the year.  I kind of like that idea.  One word that you want to use as your guiding force this year whether personally, professionally or in your triathlon season.  Mine is FOCUS.  Now I want to come up with an acronym to fit the word and make it even more meaningrul.

Mine is strength, both of mind and body.  I do visualization (no, I am not a weirdo) before every workout and it's the thing I focus on to keep me bullet proof when the going gets tough and I want to quit.

2013-01-04 12:14 PM

Usually there are up to 5-7 swimmers even at 530am but I was alone today for another swim session followed by a mini strength workout. There's always a lifeguard on duty which is comforting to know but felt bad for the fella since it was just me...but I wasn't in too long for him to freeze =)

We went out to dinner last night to one of our fave Japanese Izakaya places. Can't recall the last time I ate there sans suds or sake, lol.  Small steps =)  Real test is this weekend when my diet takes a beating.

Plans for this weekend include a long bike ride early Saturday am and a run on Sunday.

I need more time to come up with my one word  =)

Have a weekend everyone !

2013-01-04 12:18 PM

Master
Orlando
Fred D - 2013-01-04 11:27 AMThoughts and questions for the day?1. Focus on consistency is the key for January. Keep on getting out of bed and swimming, biking and running.2. I am moving my road bike to the trainer this weekend. Will only ride the cross bike outside for the next two months unless it gets in the 40s. Going to do a trainer ride this weekend I hope.3. I hope to start running again next week, but being careful.Questions?1. What is on tap for today's and this weeks training?2. Any good topics of conversation we should get into?
Saturday will be my " long" run, which right now means about 6 miles. After that I hit a TRX training class. Sunday was to be a 2-3 hr ride, but we are supposed to be having rain for the next 3 days ( very unusual for us), so that means the trainer and the trainer means a lot shorter time. I hate the trainer!
2013-01-04 12:20 PM
in reply to: #4562075

Master
Orlando
QueenZipp - 2013-01-04 11:29 AM

Hmm, I guess you're not looking for something like " beer" , right? I will have to give this some thought
2013-01-04 12:33 PM

Expert

Fred D - 2013-01-04 9:27 AM Thoughts and questions for the day? 1. Focus on consistency is the key for January. Keep on getting out of bed and swimming, biking and running. 2. I am moving my road bike to the trainer this weekend. Will only ride the cross bike outside for the next two months unless it gets in the 40s. Going to do a trainer ride this weekend I hope. 3. I hope to start running again next week, but being careful. Questions? 1. What is on tap for today's and this weeks training? 2. Any good topics of conversation we should get into?

consistency is certainly a good descriptor for my goals.  Consistency of training.  And eating.  And sleeping.  And working.  Just doing everything smoothly and evenly, and dealing with the challenges as they come.  And not putting anything off!  Especially on the work and food front, I want to put a stronger focus on those this year.

Today I'll run again.  After the birthday party tomorrow night I'll get my bike set up on the rollers and start on the bike this Sunday.  I don't enjoy road riding so I either mountain bike, or ride indoors.  And with the rains we've had (and resultant mud) I'll be indoors for a while I think.  

topic of conversation:  goals.  I have a much easier time putting in the consistent training I need when I have a goal I'm actively working towards.  Having a race out there really helps.  Right now I don't have that, but have started looking at the race calendar to see what's coming up (race options are pretty year round where I live).  I find about three months is about as far out as I can hold in my head, so I'm thinking of looking for a race in late March or early April.  Just not sure what kind of race.  Trail run?  triathlon?  There is a really fun Xterra off road triathlon at the end of March which I have done before (in '10 & '11), but I fear I may not have enough time to be ready for it.  I'm not sure how aggressive to set my race goals.

2013-01-04 1:04 PM
in reply to: #4562245

Champion
norcal_SAHD - 2013-01-04 12:33 PM

Fred D - 2013-01-04 9:27 AM Thoughts and questions for the day? 1. Focus on consistency is the key for January. Keep on getting out of bed and swimming, biking and running. 2. I am moving my road bike to the trainer this weekend. Will only ride the cross bike outside for the next two months unless it gets in the 40s. Going to do a trainer ride this weekend I hope. 3. I hope to start running again next week, but being careful. Questions? 1. What is on tap for today's and this weeks training? 2. Any good topics of conversation we should get into?

consistency is certainly a good descriptor for my goals.  Consistency of training.  And eating.  And sleeping.  And working.  Just doing everything smoothly and evenly, and dealing with the challenges as they come.  And not putting anything off!  Especially on the work and food front, I want to put a stronger focus on those this year.

Today I'll run again.  After the birthday party tomorrow night I'll get my bike set up on the rollers and start on the bike this Sunday.  I don't enjoy road riding so I either mountain bike, or ride indoors.  And with the rains we've had (and resultant mud) I'll be indoors for a while I think.  

topic of conversation:  goals.  I have a much easier time putting in the consistent training I need when I have a goal I'm actively working towards.  Having a race out there really helps.  Right now I don't have that, but have started looking at the race calendar to see what's coming up (race options are pretty year round where I live).  I find about three months is about as far out as I can hold in my head, so I'm thinking of looking for a race in late March or early April.  Just not sure what kind of race.  Trail run?  triathlon?  There is a really fun Xterra off road triathlon at the end of March which I have done before (in '10 & '11), but I fear I may not have enough time to be ready for it.  I'm not sure how aggressive to set my race goals.

How about the Oakland marathon? or half marathon?  3/24.  I'll be there with two other BT peeps.

2013-01-04 1:17 PM

I have a couple of key words in addition to consistancy...borrowed from other BTers who have used it as their motto at one point or another.

PATIENCE...from the almighty Bryan (bryancd).  And SACRIFICE...from Dusty (fastyellow).

2013-01-04 2:08 PM
in reply to: #4562342

Expert

Lots of great stuff everybody. Keep up the good work!

Jason, for me patience and consistency are the keys to endurance training. I have been patient and consistent the last couple of months building my running back up and I feel really good. Now I just have to sacrifice a little and get on the trainer and back in the pool. My goal for January is at least 2 swims and 2 rides each week starting next week.

Our local series of 4 Winter 5K's starts this Sunday. I have 6 miles planned, so what I will do is a 2 mile warm up, run the 5K slower than normal race pace, maybe 9 min/mile which is the pace I would like to run my March HM, and then finish with a 1 mile cool down.

Have a great weekend everybody!

Anthony

2013-01-04 3:30 PM

Extreme Veteran
England
Made it for yesterday's swim, which makes it one of each sport in 3 days. Happy with that.

Today is a planned rest day because Saturday is the start of my training week and we've got an active weekend planned with proper mountain biking (proper means driving somewhere with real mountain bike trails - I'm trying to improve my bike handling skills) and club swim session tomorrow and hopefully a run on Sunday. Night shifts start on Monday so it's likely to be shorter workouts for the rest of the week.

I don't know if I can summarise my goals in a single word, although I definitely agree with STRENGTH. It's one of my goals to be physically stronger this year, but also I think mental strength is the thing that got me through IM, and is essential for success in this sport, if only the strength to keep going at your own pace.
2013-01-04 5:14 PM

My one word mindset would be dedication. I hope to be consistent and patient in my training and stay committed. I've heard from that the hardest thing is to devote all the time it takes to prepare yourself for triathlons. I want to do this and to make sure it doesn't take away too much from my family time. Time just flies by way too fast. Some weekend training sessions will undoubtly finish well into the mornings but I usually start all my sessions around 430-500. I am also stoked that one of my kids will be doing his first junior tri the same time I do my first sprint tri =

I also appreciate this amazing tri community.

2013-01-04 5:42 PM

Carbondale, Illinois
My word for the year is balance...as in try not to get wrapped up too much in work that I forget to eat, drink, pee, sleep, go home, etc (all of these things have happened before). I want to work on balancing all the different aspects of my life, including training, work, and family.
2013-01-04 7:18 PM

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

My Mindset word is CONSISTENCY.  I've been very inconsistent in my training the past year or so, and I'm paying the price, basically starting over from scratch.

I like the Acronymn thing for FOCUS

Find One Consistent Underlying Strengh

Don't know if that works, but since so many of us are focusing on being CONSISTANT I thought I'd try to come up with something using Consistency in the word Focus.   I'm DEFINATELY open for modifications.

Edited by UTTriman 2013-01-05 5:34 PM

2013-01-04 7:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

thanks for the feedback on the cycling everyone.  Will do ftp on sunday or monday and get after it.

For me the word of the year is LESS.

Less alcohol, meat, junk, worrying about work, obsessing over the future, spending, etc.  I know that may not be all tri related, but it comes into play

2013-01-04 7:53 PM
in reply to: #4562877

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
UTTriman - 2013-01-04 8:18 PM

My Mindset word is CONSISTENCY.  I've been very inconsistent in my training the past year or so, and I'm paying the price, basically starting over from scratch.

I like the Acronymn thing for FOCUS

Find One Consistant Underlying Strengh

Don't know if that works, but since so many of us are focusing on being CONSISTANT I thought I'd try to come up with something using Consistency in the word Focus.   I'm DEFINATELY open for modifications.

Thanks, Brett!

I was having a frustrating time with a U word. 
2013-01-05 8:28 AM

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

I had to think about that word a long time as well.   I think we could refine the acronymn somewhat so it falls off the tongue better.

Just completed my 2nd run of the new year!   Whoo Hoo!  Best part -- full minute per mile over same distance faster than Run number 1 (which really stunk!).  Pace was much closer to where I should be right now.

2013-01-05 8:37 AM

Expert
Ontario

My mantra for the year has to be 'FUN'.   After 2 years of sadness it's time to live again and start enjoying life.  And I was happiest when triathlon was part of my life.  I will run, bike and swim because I enjoy it.

In keeping with my theme of fun, I will fill my life with people I love and activities I enjoy.  That means more time spent with the two little loves of my life, my granddaughters.  More days riding my bike, running on trails, hiking in the woods, playing at the beach.  Getting back to the hobbies I enjoy.  Less time spent watching TV and surfing the internet. Just living and enjoying life again.

So here's to a year of FUN.

2013-01-05 9:05 AM

Expert
Douglaston, NY

The one word focus for this year was a great question, especially for January.  I've gone back and forth a little bit but, for me, I think this year's focus is on "urgency."  Perhaps in reaction to having two type-a parents, I am much closer to a type-b personality.  I fall much closer to "Stop, smell the roses, enjoy the sunset and the housework will eventually get done.  Even though they aren't really a priority, I have some things that should be done so I will go to the gym later (no comment on whether they got done).  Let me sit and think about this project at work, start it, and, oh what's this piece of information I should read over here..."

I need more urgency in my life to get things done and accomplished.   I will feel better, I will make those around me happier, and, if I take care of these things in a more timely manner, I'll have more free time with my son where I am not distracted in the back of my head by those pesky things I should have done.

Yes, sadly this song did repeatedly come to mind:

http://youtu.be/FHnNIoNUZig

2013-01-05 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4563297

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Sulcus - 2013-01-05 10:05 AM

The one word focus for this year was a great question, especially for January.  I've gone back and forth a little bit but, for me, I think this year's focus is on "urgency."  Perhaps in reaction to having two type-a parents, I am much closer to a type-b personality.  I fall much closer to "Stop, smell the roses, enjoy the sunset and the housework will eventually get done.  Even though they aren't really a priority, I have some things that should be done so I will go to the gym later (no comment on whether they got done).  Let me sit and think about this project at work, start it, and, oh what's this piece of information I should read over here..."

I need more urgency in my life to get things done and accomplished.   I will feel better, I will make those around me happier, and, if I take care of these things in a more timely manner, I'll have more free time with my son where I am not distracted in the back of my head by those pesky things I should have done.

Yes, sadly this song did repeatedly come to mind:

http://youtu.be/FHnNIoNUZig

LOL, that song is a blast from the past!

It's a hard balance between urgency and the fun that Cathy mentioned.  But yeah, if you tend to get scattered into the land of what we refer to as "ADOS" in my house (attention deficit, oooh shiny  --if you knew my 17 year old this would make sense) the word urgency makes a good word.

2013-01-05 9:52 AM

2013-01-05 9:57 AM
in reply to: #4563277

2013-01-05 11:01 AM

Master
Orlando
Did a one mile warm up run with my dog and then headed out for my 6 miler. I kept the pace nice and easy and ended up with a good run. Then an hour later I was at my first TRX class and all I can say is Holy Mother of God!!!,( hope that didn't offend anyone). It was a great workout, but it is very likely that I won't be able to move tomorrow. Can't wait for the next one
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64