of 44

2013-05-15 5:53 AM
in reply to: #4741458

User image

Expert
Noosa
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN
dcon - 2013-05-14 11:40 PM

Just a quick check-in.   I did the HM on Sunday in 1:45:38 according to my garmin.  That is about 30 seconds slower than last year.  I struggled to get into a consistent pace for about the first 7-8km because of the crowd.  After that I cranked it up a little and hung on.    I was pretty sore yesterday (Monday) and a little better today.  All in all, it was a good training race.

Jayne: you're awesome!!

Suzy: big bummer, but glad to hear that you are not sidelined.  I think you are going to have to play musical wheels depending on the course and weather.   I don't use my front race wheel or rear wheel cover for training because of the crosswinds and truck wind blasts.  Best case, get some significant practice runs on a known course without the wind before you try to play in the wind again.

Well done Dan, that's still a good HM time!

2013-05-15 6:02 AM
in reply to: #4725773

User image

Expert
Noosa

Glad to hear you're doing ok Suzy, I bet you're feeling really sore. I've only crashed once and I had aches and pain for weeks. What's with the 23 hour training week??? That more than most of us do in a month!

When do you think its safe to start an indoor cycling program after IM? I downloaded a free 8 week bike focus plan from EN a few months ago and I'd like to use it this Winter. I was thinking I might start in June, 4 weeks post-IM. Too soon?
2013-05-15 7:22 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Let's get this racing season in full gear, it's almost JUNE!!  Who's toeing the line?

I want to repost this advice from Birdy!  Motivation is a struggle for all of us from time to time.  What else do you do to stay "in the groove?"

Option A: Pick your FAVORITE WORKOUT and go do it, enjoy it.... Remember why it is you have chosen the healthy path, and embrace what you have become.

Option B: Go pick your least favorite workout and ABSOLUTELY CRUSH IT! Prove to yourself that you have the mental capacity to succeed through your half ironman....

Option C: Continue to feel the lack of motivation, and suffer for the next _____ weeks until after you either decide to "get through" your race, or be mad that you didn't even race (HIGHLY RECOMMEND AVOIDING THIS!!!)

2013-05-15 7:36 AM
in reply to: #4743084

User image

Expert
Noosa
jfought - 2013-05-15 10:22 PM

Let's get this racing season in full gear, it's almost JUNE!!  Who's toeing the line?

I want to repost this advice from Birdy!  Motivation is a struggle for all of us from time to time.  What else do you do to stay "in the groove?"

Option A: Pick your FAVORITE WORKOUT and go do it, enjoy it.... Remember why it is you have chosen the healthy path, and embrace what you have become.

Option B: Go pick your least favorite workout and ABSOLUTELY CRUSH IT! Prove to yourself that you have the mental capacity to succeed through your half ironman....

Option C: Continue to feel the lack of motivation, and suffer for the next _____ weeks until after you either decide to "get through" your race, or be mad that you didn't even race (HIGHLY RECOMMEND AVOIDING THIS!!!)

Just had a link to this e-mailed to me by Macca: http://www.triathlon-training.com/triathlon-how-to-stay-motivated
2013-05-15 7:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
jfought - 2013-05-15 7:22 AM

No racing here as Surgery is tomorrow. I am hoping for a speedy recovery so I dont loose most of my base. Good luck to those racing.

As far as motivation If I can just get dressed and out the door then I am ok. I have been in a slight funk though but still managed to get some time in. I am hoping this week or two off will allow to be super motivated to start the HIM training in June I so bad want to go under 6 but I know that is going to mean improving in all three areas. I have not been in the pool since the Oly and need to improve there the most.

2013-05-15 7:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
jfought - 2013-05-15 7:22 AM

No racing here as Surgery is tomorrow. I am hoping for a speedy recovery so I dont loose most of my base. Good luck to those racing.

As far as motivation If I can just get dressed and out the door then I am ok. I have been in a slight funk though but still managed to get some time in. I am hoping this week or two off will allow to be super motivated to start the HIM training in June I so bad want to go under 6 but I know that is going to mean improving in all three areas. I have not been in the pool since the Oly and need to improve there the most.

2013-05-15 8:46 AM

User image

Master
jfought - 2013-05-15 5:22 AM

Option D: Phone a friend.

When I am really unmotivated but WANT to be moving (does that make sense?), I lean on my peeps. I'll call my girlfriends and schedule a run around coffee or lunch. Or I'll nag Birdy and RP to go out on the trails with me. Or I'll just do SOMETHING and be pleased with myself... Walk with my dog or kids, go on a hike, whatever. I like to find ways to feel good about myself rather than to beat myself up. I've spent too many years beating myself up for one thing or another.

And  I remind myself that I DO THIS FOR FUN. If I'm not having fun, then I won't do something. Life's waaaaay too short.

2013-05-15 9:07 AM
in reply to: #4743249

User image

Master
Maryland
kkcbelle - 2013-05-15 9:46 AM
jfought - 2013-05-15 5:22 AM

Option D: Phone a friend.

When I am really unmotivated but WANT to be moving (does that make sense?), I lean on my peeps. I'll call my girlfriends and schedule a run around coffee or lunch. Or I'll nag Birdy and RP to go out on the trails with me. Or I'll just do SOMETHING and be pleased with myself... Walk with my dog or kids, go on a hike, whatever. I like to find ways to feel good about myself rather than to beat myself up. I've spent too many years beating myself up for one thing or another.

And  I remind myself that I DO THIS FOR FUN. If I'm not having fun, then I won't do something. Life's waaaaay too short.

AMEN!! I agree with Kyla, enjoy what you do! You will do it longer!

2013-05-15 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4743014

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
copa2251 - 2013-05-15 6:02 AM

Glad to hear you're doing ok Suzy, I bet you're feeling really sore. I've only crashed once and I had aches and pain for weeks. What's with the 23 hour training week??? That more than most of us do in a month!

When do you think its safe to start an indoor cycling program after IM? I downloaded a free 8 week bike focus plan from EN a few months ago and I'd like to use it this Winter. I was thinking I might start in June, 4 weeks post-IM. Too soon?

I would give yourself one month of unstructured training and then let 'er rip.

Waist down I'm doing great.  Legs feel back to normal.  Even though the shoulder hurts all the time, especially trying to sleep, I do feel like there are a few things I can do today that don't make me want to kill myself.  Of course there are many more that do.   Still put an email into my doctor about getting an MRI to make sure nothing is broken or torn. Three Advil round the clock is not my cup of tea.

2013-05-15 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
jfought - 2013-05-15 8:22 AM

No racing for me this weekend.

I have been struggling to get motivated as well. Life has been getting in the way and my schedule is all screwy from traveling. I plan to take some long runs this weekend and build stamina, also need to get back on the bike and it has been a few months since I swam. I need structure to keep me motivated, need a plan and a goal.

I agree with the other comments also you have to have fun and want to do this. The satisfaction of training and enjoying the great outdoors is one of my motivators. Also get a training partner if your struggling, that has always helped me in the past, when one person is struggling to get motivated the other person can help pick you up. Even a virtual training partner on BT that has similar goals can be a great help.

2013-05-15 9:33 AM
in reply to: #4743094

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
copa2251 - 2013-05-15 8:36 AM

Just had a link to this e-mailed to me by Macca: http://www.triathlon-training.com/triathlon-how-to-stay-motivated

I love this article. No racing for me.  I did a 5 mi. recovery run last night.  It felt pretty good.  The legs are tired and my HR was elevated, but that's all normal.

My biggest enemy is "negative thinking".  It's the whole, "I have too much on my plate.  I'm too tired.  I don't want to get out of bed.  I deserve a day off.  I can't can't can't"  Here's what I need to do for me:

1. Lay out a plan for the week
2. The night before, set everyting out for the morning workout, make coffee, set the alarm
3. Get to bed early (for me this is vital, or my mental game (read motivation) turns to crap as the week wears on)
4. Wake up, DON'T THINK, just do what I planned to do.  Seriously, I say this in my head, "Don't think, just do!"
5. Like Macca says, once you get the workout started, you usually find your motivation to work hard, even if you didn't feel like it.
6. Feel good for getting it done

edited because I terp'ed it

Edited by jfought 2013-05-15 9:36 AM

2013-05-15 10:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
jfought - 2013-05-15 8:22 AM

Alas, no racing for me.  For the second weekend this season I am pulling out of a race I wanted to do.  The first was because of scheduling conflicts; this one, for achilles tendonitis.  And the weather has been so nice here that it is killing me to not be running.  I'm trying to make up for it on the bike, but even that's been relegated to the trainer lately because of my schedule.  Hopefully I can make it outside tomorrow.

For motivation, I have this thing in November that's keeping me focused.  I have also hooked up with a couple of local tri friends for some good natured competition.  Every 2-3 weeks we do a week-long competition based on miles trained with a modified points system.  Weekly winner gets a free healthy lunch from each of the others.  I don't alter my training plans for the week, but it does motivate me to get out there and get the work done. 

Good luck to those racing this weekend!

2013-05-15 1:20 PM
in reply to: #4743351

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
jfought - 2013-05-15 9:33 AM
copa2251 - 2013-05-15 8:36 AM

I love this article. No racing for me.  I did a 5 mi. recovery run last night.  It felt pretty good.  The legs are tired and my HR was elevated, but that's all normal.

My biggest enemy is "negative thinking".  It's the whole, "I have too much on my plate.  I'm too tired.  I don't want to get out of bed.  I deserve a day off.  I can't can't can't"  Here's what I need to do for me:

1. Lay out a plan for the week
2. The night before, set everyting out for the morning workout, make coffee, set the alarm
3. Get to bed early (for me this is vital, or my mental game (read motivation) turns to crap as the week wears on)
4. Wake up, DON'T THINK, just do what I planned to do.  Seriously, I say this in my head, "Don't think, just do!"
5. Like Macca says, once you get the workout started, you usually find your motivation to work hard, even if you didn't feel like it.
6. Feel good for getting it done

edited because I terp'ed it

I so agree w/ #5.  So many times I am tired and distracted with other things in life that getting out the door is the hardest part.  A lot of times I will tell myself - ok you are tired and don't have a lot of time, so just get out the door even if it's an easy workout.  Then usually by the time I am warmed up, I am ready to do my scheduled workout.  Getting out the door is the hard part.

I've also taken a different approach this season and written my own plan.  I feel like I know my body (what it can handle) and my weakness/strengths and my race goals.  So I wrote my plan to work with my schedule.  It's an all eggs in one basket kind of plan in the sense that I put a lot of effort into one weekened workout and then maintain over the week w/ short but intense workouts.  I also make my workouts varied and fun so that helps when I am tired or overwhelmed.

So far, so good.  It had not been perfect but I feel that I am getting into shape and keeping my sanity and motivation.

2013-05-15 4:31 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Had a mixed day today.......completely blew the deadline, hubby and I are NOT racing the charity event for Tour d'California, all my fault.  Really bummed.

Took my anger out on my regular 31 mile ride.....got a PR....averaged 18.4 mph for a course with major wind and several tough climbs - part of the TdC course.....and when I posted to Strava, I realized that I beat Hailey Manning (Big, local triathlete) on 2 segments.   Totally made my day.

I blame Kyla for my new Strava addiction.

2013-05-15 5:47 PM
in reply to: #4743014

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
copa2251 - 2013-05-15 5:02 AM

Winter? Seriously? How cold does it get
2013-05-15 6:07 PM
in reply to: #4744321

User image

Elite
san francisco
velcromom - 2013-05-15 2:31 PM

Had a mixed day today.......completely blew the deadline, hubby and I are NOT racing the charity event for Tour d'California, all my fault.  Really bummed.

Took my anger out on my regular 31 mile ride.....got a PR....averaged 18.4 mph for a course with major wind and several tough climbs - part of the TdC course.....and when I posted to Strava, I realized that I beat Hailey Manning (Big, local triathlete) on 2 segments.   Totally made my day.

Congrats on the ride.  I think a Strava addiction is not as bad as Trevor's latest. 

2013-05-15 8:31 PM
in reply to: #4744321

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

Strava rocks!! Why can't you still go to the tour and watch. It's an amazing experience. Especially the TT. So much action all day long. We went down a couple years in a row and follow the tour. It's awesome. .... And today!!!! Even better Washington was well represented with the victory!!
2013-05-15 9:53 PM
in reply to: #4744576

User image

Master
swbkrun - 2013-05-15 6:31 PM

Strava rocks!! Why can't you still go to the tour and watch. It's an amazing experience. Especially the TT. So much action all day long. We went down a couple years in a row and follow the tour. It's awesome. .... And today!!!! Even better Washington was well represented with the victory!!

And to think we can say we saw Tyler crushing it in the Velodrome just a couple of weeks ago...!!

I have such a love/hate relationship with Strava. Kind-of like I have with Birdy and RP on some of our runs.

2013-05-16 4:52 AM
in reply to: #4744401

User image

Expert
Noosa
TrevorC - 2013-05-16 8:47 AM
copa2251 - 2013-05-15 5:02 AM

Winter? Seriously? How cold does it get

Yep, pretty cold Winter's day today, was about 14 deg celcius. Luckily tomorrow we'll be back to a sunny 23!
It's funny how you get used to being warm all the time and can't cope when it cools down a bit. It does get cold in mid-Winter but only in he early mornings, by lunchtime it's always warm again and you get months and months of clear blue skies and no rain. One morning last Winter I got very cold riding inland at 6am wearing a short sleeved top and shorts and no socks or gloves, afterwards I found out it was only 4 degrees C, can catch you out sometimes.

2013-05-16 8:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples
Hey! Can I join in,,,,, please 
2013-05-16 8:41 AM
in reply to: #4744919

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

[email protected] - 2013-05-16 8:07 AM Hey! Can I join in,,,,, please 

Only if we get a bio!

2013-05-16 9:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

Hey Y'all

I need your opinion. The YMCA has an Intermediate/advanced swim lessons on SAT at 1100 and a master swim lesson Wednesday at 1. I know I can not make the Masters on wednesdays due to times. Would the other class be a good substitute?

2013-05-16 11:19 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

I WILL be there watching tomorrow....AND I will ride my bike to do so!  Hard to resist the men in spandex, ya know.  Just bummed I'm not racing.

As for Strava - I would love to follow people on it (STEVE???  RYAN????) anyon else using it?  I'm already stalking Kyla, she's amazing.

Tonight?   SHARKS, baby!!  Time to crush the Kings!!!!

~Linda

2013-05-16 3:31 PM
in reply to: #4745303

User image

Master
velcromom - 2013-05-16 9:19 AM

I WILL be there watching tomorrow....AND I will ride my bike to do so!  Hard to resist the men in spandex, ya know.  Just bummed I'm not racing.

As for Strava - I would love to follow people on it (STEVE???  RYAN????) anyon else using it?  I'm already stalking Kyla, she's amazing.

Tonight?   SHARKS, baby!!  Time to crush the Kings!!!!

~Linda

RP is on there, as is Steve. Ryan is fun to watch -- he has gone in search of numerous CRs around here. We are particularly fond of the segments where he and I hold the his-and-hers course records. It's only a matter of time until local fast people find my runs and segments, but in the meantime I'm enjoying the few records I have!! It's fun to stalk you right back, Linda! I like to zoom in on your rides and runs and figure out where you are. I lived a wee bit north of you so don't know the roads specifically, but I know some of the areas you stomp and ride around in!!!

ETA I totally did my Option D of Phone a Friend today when I had zero mojo but wanted to move. Met a pal for a run. Unfortunately she was about as unmotivated as I was, and we were planning on hitting a core class but talked each other out of it and had coffee instead. No worries, we moved first and it was awesome to hang out. No guilt for not doing a harder workout!!!

Edited by kkcbelle 2013-05-16 3:32 PM
2013-05-16 3:43 PM
in reply to: #4744919

User image

Expert
Noosa
[email protected] - 2013-05-16 11:07 PMHey! Can I join in,,,,, please 
Hi, come on in! Naples is one of the few places I've been too in America, be interesting to hear how you train in the heat etc.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44