BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-05-21 11:54 AM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED
Originally posted by skibummer

It's getting harder to get motivated when coming home from hard days at work and coaching baseball,
OK....it's Kindergarten T-Ball, but still.

You have my sympathy!

HI KIDS!!

Today I'm WFH (that's working from home) but it's currently sunny and in the low 70s and just perfect outside......I'm trying to decide how long of a ride I can get away with and not be missed if someone calls or emails. SSHHH don't tell

Have a great day!

2014-05-21 12:00 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Just a 30 min run with 6 x 30s strides for me today at lunch.  I had to cut it a bit short (supposed to be 40 mins) but I had a meeting scheduled for right after lunch.  I finished the run, skipped the shower, jammed some food into me and hurried to the meeting room only to find out we had been bumped at the last minute.  *sigh*

2014-05-21 12:06 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Had a great run last night just shy of 7 miles. Got together with some people from the Tri club that I joined recently. Kinda intimidating as they all seem to be leagues ahead of me. Hopefully once I meet more of the members I will find some people that are closer to my level. Ok so till now my training has been kinda run focused. My mpw have been between 23 and 28 or so. How important is it to keep those mpw up? Can I slack for a week on running and maybe only do 15 miles while I spend more time on the bike or pool and return to 28 the next week without putting myself at risk for injuries? The reason I ask is I have read that you should slowly build up your mpw and if you take a break slowly build it up again. Is one week with less milees a long enough break to have to slowly add miles back? I plan to run a HM in Sept and would like to get my long runs up to 15 miles or so. I also have a oly distance tri in July so my bike and swim need time to. The Tri I am looking to finish without dieing not really break any records as this is my first at this distance.
2014-05-21 12:12 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

So, here's a question for everyone.  How do you pace a half marathon?  

I just got my race plan from my coach for the HM this weekend - it's pretty much exactly what I expected and what I will be using on race day.  I'm just curious what others do.  Do you start at an easier than goal pace and build up, just try to stay steady or go hard and hold on for dear life?

2014-05-21 12:39 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by axteraa

I just got my race plan from my coach for the HM this weekend - it's pretty much exactly what I expected and what I will be using on race day.  I'm just curious what others do.  Do you start at an easier than goal pace and build up, just try to stay steady or go hard and hold on for dear life?

My best HM results have come from basically holding just above target pace and then trying to hammer the last 5K.  It really depends on the course, though...here in Baltimore our HM has a net uphill for 10 miles and then a pretty good downhill for the final 5K, so that race plan is easy to follow.

2014-05-21 12:50 PM
in reply to: AkABuzz

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by AkABuzz Had a great run last night just shy of 7 miles. Got together with some people from the Tri club that I joined recently. Kinda intimidating as they all seem to be leagues ahead of me. Hopefully once I meet more of the members I will find some people that are closer to my level. Ok so till now my training has been kinda run focused. My mpw have been between 23 and 28 or so. How important is it to keep those mpw up? Can I slack for a week on running and maybe only do 15 miles while I spend more time on the bike or pool and return to 28 the next week without putting myself at risk for injuries? The reason I ask is I have read that you should slowly build up your mpw and if you take a break slowly build it up again. Is one week with less milees a long enough break to have to slowly add miles back? I plan to run a HM in Sept and would like to get my long runs up to 15 miles or so. I also have a oly distance tri in July so my bike and swim need time to. The Tri I am looking to finish without dieing not really break any records as this is my first at this distance.

The nice thing about training gains is that they are easier to maintain than to attain, so you can hold your fitness while dropping mileage some.  As for your specific situation, yes you can easily drop to 15 miles one week (in fact, I would recommend doing this every 3-4 weeks anyway...) and go back up to 25-28 without issue.  If it's a month of 15 mpw, then maybe you would have to build up a little.

In the context of training for a triathlon, there's always a balance we need to find.  My training plan was similarly run-focused until the end of March where I was around 25 mpw.  At that point I realized than you need to swim and bike to even GET to the run , so I dropped down to about 18 mpw and built up the bike and swim volume.  I know my run is still sharp; I ran a PR 5K a couple of weeks ago during one of my recovery weeks.

A word of caution...watch the long run mileage as a percentage of weekly volume...for tri training it shouldn't be more than around 35% of your weekly volume and for purely running 30%.  Going too far (and adding run intensity without knowing what you're doing...) is how a lot of running injuries happen.

2014-05-21 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Just a 30 min run with 6 x 30s strides for me today at lunch.  I had to cut it a bit short (supposed to be 40 mins) but I had a meeting scheduled for right after lunch.  I finished the run, skipped the shower, jammed some food into me and hurried to the meeting room only to find out we had been bumped at the last minute.  *sigh*

I've had that happen more times than I can count.  <facepalm>

At least you got out there, anyway.

2014-05-21 1:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

For me -- I like to try and go out the first 6-7 miles slightly above goal pace, as I tend to drop off as I fatigue, so the theory is that I'll make it.   Usually works ok for me.

The 'experts' seem to say just the opposite, run negative splits.  Start out slower and then build pace.  I'm starting to believe that more and more.  As I start ANY run, if I start out a bit slower, it's much easier to run faster at the end and get it done.   YRMV... (Your results may vary).   I'm trying to focus on the negative split more and more though.

Edited by UTTriman 2014-05-21 2:55 PM
2014-05-21 3:08 PM
in reply to: UTTriman

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
It's 95 degrees outside...perfect afternoon for an open water swim.
2014-05-21 8:31 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

I'm actually jealous. I'm supposed to go tomorrow and the weather is calling for 60 and rain
2014-05-21 8:35 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Got My Swim ON!

My wrist that is.   First swim today with the new play toy -- My Garmin 910XT.   Was so nice to not have to remember how many laps/yards I did in a set, just simply clicked the lap button and there you go.   Admit it felt a little strange at first getting in the water with a Garmin on my wrist, because with the 201 and 305's that I've had, the water as an absolute NO NO!

Swim was good.  Best pace 1:58/100 and average about 2:13/100.   Not my fastest swim ever, but today was planned as active recovery, and I was also playing with the new toy a bit trying to understand how it worked in the water.

I'm a happy camper.   I even was able to get the ANT agent and Garmin Communicator to work on BT, so no upload to Garmin Connect and export.   Don't know what I did, but I came home, powered up the 'ol PC and boom -- magic.   It was there!   Was sweet!

2014-05-21 9:03 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Pretty good track workout tonight. Plan was for 8X400 @ 6:30/mile pace on 400 easy. Was able to do all intervals at 6:00/mile or better pace. It hurt but once the first few were sub 6:00 then I felt like I "had" to push the rest. It was hot and humid. Would have been a nice day in the middle of the Summer but the first couple of weeks when the heat and humidity kick in always hurt.  I have felt flat and a little "burned out" this week. Our big local tri is 5/30. It's a team points race and there are 40 guys in the 50-54AG....definitely an "A" race for me. Hoping to take a couple of easy weeks after that to recharge the batteries a bit.

Anyone racing this weekend? 

Edited by slornow 2014-05-22 7:42 AM
2014-05-21 9:14 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

My best HM results have come from basically holding just above target pace and then trying to hammer the last 5K.  It really depends on the course, though...here in Baltimore our HM has a net uphill for 10 miles and then a pretty good downhill for the final 5K, so that race plan is easy to follow.

This is similar to what I've done. My current PR in the HM was last Fall, and I only looked at my watch when it beeped every mile. Otherwise, I just went 'hard', which meant that I needed to be running fast enough to be uncomfortable, but not dying. Then, I picked it up and emptied the tank the last few miles. It's not very scientific, but I tend to let loose when I know there's not another sport right after, *ahem* triathlon!

Wow Randy, 40 guys in that AG!?!? That's going to be super-competitive! For everyone new to triathlons, they get more competitive the closer to 50 you get! Good luck; it's going to feel good to podium over 37 other guys!

I got in a good run, then swim today. Swim was tough; coach has us working on butterfly, which kills me. Really, anything other than freestyle kills me, though. Also, I signed my contract for my new job in the Memphis area. I'll actually have to head out there next week for orientation, which I'm excited about. Then, next Sunday, I've got the Raleigh 70.3, which is my B-race of the year. I did ok last year, but I'm looking to make pretty big improvements in my time. I think I can cut a few minutes from all 3 parts, which I'll be really happy with.
2014-05-21 9:21 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by glfprncs

Same here. Pretty much everyday though, so we love a good rainy day once in a while. Enjoy your swim!

I'm running a 13.8 miler Saturday, but it's more of a "fun" run than a race with my husband (with meaning heal be waiting for me at the finish already recovered) and friends.

Sunday we're doing a group MTB ride.

Ugh. I want new bikes, but I don't want to spend the money. I don't know why I'd have no problem with husband or one of the kids getting something big like that, but I'm so bad about it with myself. A new mountain bike 1st though.

Edited by Blanda 2014-05-21 9:23 PM
2014-05-22 7:22 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

No race for me this weekend.  Traveling -- But will get a nice run in  sunny southern California.  That'll be good

Good run for me today.  Not a negative split like I was hoping, but best overall time at the distance in quite a while.   I'm encouraged.

SLORNOW -- We may have to change your nick if you're putting in 6:00 paced 400's -- That's killer fast...  GREAT JOB.    Sounds like you're primed for your race next weekend!

2014-05-22 7:54 AM
in reply to: UTTriman

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Sounds like everyone is good and busy.

Blanda - I'm the same way with big purchases for myself. I have such a hard time pulling the trigger and it has nothing to do with not having the finances or anything like that, I just suck at buying myself something big.

Totally kicked my butt in the pool yesterday. Did 100y intervals with 10 second rests between and I told myself once I started dropping pace I'd switch it up and do some kick sets. I just kept hitting the numbers somehow until I got to the end of one interval and I was just beyond gassed so I switched to 50's then a quick cool down. I find if I can get to the pool 3 times a week I can really start to see my times drop. Threw in a nice 4 mile run last night, good to see the HR staying low and the pace dropping there too. Amazing what consistency will do for ya!

2014-05-22 8:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
3 mile run last night
1st mile 6:41
2nd mile easy 7:15
3rd mile 6:39

Followed that by a 30 min 100RPM Trainer ride to jazz up the legs

No race for me this weekend I will be Assistant Race Directing the Cooperstown Sprint Tri, in NY.

Water is currently 52 degrees glad I am not swimming. But Even scarier is I am the Swim Course Director I will be happy when everyone is OUT of the WATER!!
2014-05-22 9:19 AM

, Georgia
Did metrics for the first time in a month. Much to my surprise, they weren't as bad as I thought they were going to be. Gained three pounds, but everything else didn't fluctuate much.

We're getting a new air conditioner installed in the house today, so I'm gonna toss the run off till after 6pm so I can avoid the afternoon heat. Acclimating to it is gonna be a trick in of itself. Last year I spent all summer in the house messing with computers. :P

Got a heart rate monitor as well so I can keep an eye on that end. After running a HR in the mid 190s before school ended at one point during a run, I want to be able to keep a closer eye on what's going on with it rather than stopping a couple times to take a pulse and assume that figure is relatively constant.

EDIT: I looked into Trainer Road. Outstanding website, but the Bluetooth USB accessory they require will take about 10 weeks to get here according to the manufacturer's website. I'm going to stick to the beginner bike plan on this website and explore the possibility further in mid-September after the bike program and triathlon is behind me.

Edited by PhoenixM 2014-05-22 9:21 AM
2014-05-22 9:25 AM
in reply to: PhoenixM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by PhoenixM Did metrics for the first time in a month. Much to my surprise, they weren't as bad as I thought they were going to be. Gained three pounds, but everything else didn't fluctuate much. We're getting a new air conditioner installed in the house today, so I'm gonna toss the run off till after 6pm so I can avoid the afternoon heat. Acclimating to it is gonna be a trick in of itself. Last year I spent all summer in the house messing with computers. :P Got a heart rate monitor as well so I can keep an eye on that end. After running a HR in the mid 190s before school ended at one point during a run, I want to be able to keep a closer eye on what's going on with it rather than stopping a couple times to take a pulse and assume that figure is relatively constant. EDIT: I looked into Trainer Road. Outstanding website, but the Bluetooth USB accessory they require will take about 10 weeks to get here according to the manufacturer's website. I'm going to stick to the beginner bike plan on this website and explore the possibility further in mid-September after the bike program and triathlon is behind me.

The ANT+ stick?  You should be able to pick one of them up at REI or a bike shop, or order it from Amazon, Clever Training, or any of the online web sites and get it pretty quickly.

2014-05-22 9:44 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

Originally posted by PhoenixM Did metrics for the first time in a month. Much to my surprise, they weren't as bad as I thought they were going to be. Gained three pounds, but everything else didn't fluctuate much. We're getting a new air conditioner installed in the house today, so I'm gonna toss the run off till after 6pm so I can avoid the afternoon heat. Acclimating to it is gonna be a trick in of itself. Last year I spent all summer in the house messing with computers. :P Got a heart rate monitor as well so I can keep an eye on that end. After running a HR in the mid 190s before school ended at one point during a run, I want to be able to keep a closer eye on what's going on with it rather than stopping a couple times to take a pulse and assume that figure is relatively constant. EDIT: I looked into Trainer Road. Outstanding website, but the Bluetooth USB accessory they require will take about 10 weeks to get here according to the manufacturer's website. I'm going to stick to the beginner bike plan on this website and explore the possibility further in mid-September after the bike program and triathlon is behind me.

The ANT+ stick?  You should be able to pick one of them up at REI or a bike shop, or order it from Amazon, Clever Training, or any of the online web sites and get it pretty quickly.

X2. If you have a speed/cadence sensor on your bike (Garmin GSC is the most typical $37) you just add the USB ANT+ stick (again, Garmin $35) you can get it working. If you're talking actual Bluetooth, then I'm not 100% sure what speed/cadence sensor you're using that is BT and not ANT+.
2014-05-22 9:54 AM

, Georgia
Originally posted by jonD81

X2. If you have a speed/cadence sensor on your bike (Garmin GSC is the most typical $37) you just add the USB ANT+ stick (again, Garmin $35) you can get it working. If you're talking actual Bluetooth, then I'm not 100% sure what speed/cadence sensor you're using that is BT and not ANT+.

I'm using the Wahoo Blue series for my speed/cadence and my heart rate devices, which both use Bluetooth.

2014-05-22 10:23 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

I agree with the comment that it depends on the course, but I go out at just below threshold (mainly RPE, but with an occasional glance at HR) and try to goose things up the last 2-3m depending on terrain and how I'm feeling.  If I start out too hard (e.g. above threshold),  I almost always fade at the end and that drives me nuts.

2014-05-22 10:29 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

While some of you are sweltering, it was 43F this morning at our Lake House.  Instead of freezing, I hit the CT .  It is supposed to warm up to the 70s for the weekend so I am determined to ride outside now that I've been cleared to do so.

Question for the group:  would you OWS in 47F?    The ice on our lake went out on 5/15 and that is the current temperature.  I've swam in the low 50s for a short time just to keep up the Memorial Day tradition, but this would be a new and very cold experience!

2014-05-22 10:29 AM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Morning everyone, no racing this weekend but I do have my last long ride and run this weekend as well as trying to get in a quality OWS. Looking forward to the swim and hoping my wetsuit is the correct fit.
2014-05-22 10:34 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Originally posted by PhoenixM

Originally posted by jonD81

I'm using the Wahoo Blue series for my speed/cadence and my heart rate devices, which both use Bluetooth.

Wow, I didn't realize they would make it BT only and not ANT+ compatible as well. Unless your PC/Laptop is BT enabled looks like you need a BT USB stick of some sort. That stinks, sorry to lead you in the wrong direction. Looks like DC Rainmaker says that right up front in his review too about it being BT only: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/06/wahoo-fitness-blue-sc-bluetooth-...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 20279 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.