in reply to: #665673

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: DRM's Group - FULL
run joe run - 2007-01-23 9:06 PM
DRM - 2007-01-22 4:17 PM

Question for you guys: What do you all have for bikes?  And what pedal equipment/shoes do you use?

I was kidding about the inventory.  I took a count last summer and with wife, kids, sis-n-law, and myself we had 9 bikes in our garage including a 50's style tandem.

I did my first sprint last summer on my Trek 3500 MTB.  I put slicks and a computer on it and hammered like h-e-double-toothpicks.

My roadie is a 2006 Lemond Chambery.  It's red w/ Ultegra components.  I don't have enough space in my head to remember all of the specifics about the bike, so I'm not sure about the shoes, pedals, etc.  I have Shimano SPDSL shoes.  I guess that means my pedals are the SPD kind.  Is that right?

I'm curious about everyone's other gear like bike computer, HRM, clothes, etc. 

I use a Cateye Astrale 8, Timex Ironman 30 lap HRM, Speedo Vanquisher goggles, and Desoto tri shorts.  Last year I raced in my tri shorts and no shirt at the two non USAT sprints I did.  I want need to get something else to race in like a suit or at least a top to go with my shorts.  I really don't know and would like some input.

I hope this isn't a hijack.

My tri-bike also has a Cateye CD300W (wireless) Computer (speed, Cadence, Lap, etc) and Jetstream NXT aerobar 28oz water bottle.

Here's the rest of my list:
- Mizuno Wave Creation 7 Running shoes with lock laces
- Two QR 5-pocket Tri Suit (white and blue)
- Aqua Sphere Seal XP swim goggles 
- QR Tri shorts
- Several technical shirts
- Zoomer Blue Fins
- Promotion Sleeveless Power Glide WS
- Cheap Polar HRM
- Fuel Belt 4 bottle

I really like using the tri-suit, been using the Desoto brand 5 packet TS now for about 2 years (see Avatar chg), it has longer legs than most others at 9.5 ".  No worries about putting on a shirt in T1.  Under a wetsuit it's a skin buffer.  Only thing I really would need to cutout of T1 would be putting on socks but it seems that I'm not one that can do that as I always seems to get blisters on my back of my heals.

2007-01-24 8:44 AM
in reply to: #665710

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
I meant to say the SPDSL pedals. Look has a pedal that is simlar to thsese. Just a different brand.
2007-01-24 8:48 AM
in reply to: #666065

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Hey Guys,

FYI, I'm inviting a tri newbie to join us.  He's a local here where I live and has expressed interest in joining our group.  I'll have in intro himself to us all and we'll go from there.

2007-01-24 8:54 AM
in reply to: #666060

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
TitanIV - 2007-01-24 9:42 AM

I personally don't like the tri suit, but Don has a new powder blue one that he likes :-)

Powder blue, yup I like the powder blue, went 9-1 in middle shool lacrosse playing in "baby blue" "girly blue", etc, that other teams called us!!!  I actually sent an email to DS last year asking them to get a bit more "manly" with their colors!

BTW, the 06 DS tri suits can be had on the net in closeout for a low price of $65-$80.  You have to do a search engine to find them.  I'll be happy to inform you (Cameron!) that I ordered a Red/Black suit for this years races.

I also have a Pro Motion wetsuit, but haven't actually worn it yet :-) I had wrist surgery a week or so after I bought it :-) Don is going to do a river swim with me soon to try it out though!

Closet art!

2007-01-24 8:59 AM
in reply to: #664868

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Bluejack - 2007-01-23 12:52 PM

Trek 1200 with the starter components.  Bottom of the line Trek 1200 basic wheels.  No aerobar yet.  Clipless Shimano somethingoranothers. I don't get into the gear that much yet, I feel like the engine is the issue for now. My shin injury has heald me back.  I was ready to get a new tri bike when I was riding 18-19 mph with the LBS, but then i got hurt and have been doing lots of slow training rides.  I'm going to use my Trek 1200 for IMAZ as a rite of passage and move up later on down the line.

Steven,

I totally respect that you going with the Trek 1200 for IMAZ!  I road a very bottom of the line Fuji RB from July 05 to Sept 06.  The difference is amazing going up to a higher end TB.  I recall coasting next to Cameron (Titan IV) with his Cervelo P2SL on rides and he would always coast away from me, not anymore! 

Any thought on renting some race wheels with high end hubs to help out with the power loss? It'll add up over 112 miles...

Edited by DRM 2007-01-24 9:16 AM
2007-01-24 12:21 PM
in reply to: #666084

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
DRM - 2007-01-24 8:59 AM

Trek 1200 with the starter components.  Bottom of the line Trek 1200 basic wheels.  No aerobar yet.  Clipless Shimano somethingoranothers. I don't get into the gear that much yet, I feel like the engine is the issue for now. My shin injury has heald me back.  I was ready to get a new tri bike when I was riding 18-19 mph with the LBS, but then i got hurt and have been doing lots of slow training rides.  I'm going to use my Trek 1200 for IMAZ as a rite of passage and move up later on down the line.

Steven,

I totally respect that you going with the Trek 1200 for IMAZ!  I road a very bottom of the line Fuji RB from July 05 to Sept 06.  The difference is amazing going up to a higher end TB.  I recall coasting next to Cameron (Titan IV) with his Cervelo P2SL on rides and he would always coast away from me, not anymore! 

Any thought on renting some race wheels with high end hubs to help out with the power loss? It'll add up over 112 miles...

You are killing me 'cause I have the means to take the step up.  I had been thinking of a Cervelo Dual.  I know I would use the bike and it's nice to know there is equipment out there that would make a me faster.  We'll see. I'll show my wife thispost.  HEh heh.

2007-01-24 12:57 PM
in reply to: #631738

Regular
Bangalore, Karnataka
Ok, after seeing all the posts on the fancy gear people have - let me make you all feel good about your bikes !!

I ride a Scattante (i am sure you have never heard of the brand), nor had I until I started searching for a road bike after I got into the US... I found good componentry on this for a very low price (its a Performance house brand)... My bike is full 105 and I love it - its been really sturdy considering I have crashed it at-least 3-4 times... and in any case I have tons to imrove on the engine !
Look Pedals, Shimano shoes, Cateye 8 (tho i have to confess I still have trouble starting it off when i ride !, and I have an engineering degree :-(
Use mostly Pearl Izumi stuff for riding - my fav possession is a new jacket that i bought for the cold.

2007-01-24 3:48 PM
in reply to: #663880

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Damn...after reading all of this, can you say "Yard sale?!!"  That's a lot of gear gents.

I'm just getting rolling with this game, so my list is relatively short:

• Giant TCR Aero 2 (2003, I believe), full Ultegra (stock was 105), with Time RSX pedals, and PD CGT Aero bars; this bike is somewhat of a hybrid - not true Tri/TT and not true Road...has attributes that work both ways.
  • Sigma BC1600 cyclometer
  • Shimano SH-R98 road shoes (first pair)
  • Sidi Genius 5 Lorica road shoes (Christmas present) - very nice and comfy!
  • CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer
  • Trek 930 MTB (not sure of year, '94 I believe), Rapid Fire shifters (love these!), and not sure of components
  • Tyr Aqua Sphere Seal XP goggles
  • Sigma P6 HRM (though eyeing Edge 305 or Polar S625x, among others)

Edited by LHablas 2007-01-24 3:55 PM
2007-01-24 4:10 PM

Regular
Hello -

Thank you Don for allowing me to join the group and I sincerly hope other members won't mind. Here's a brief intro.

Username/Name: Shallowsaltwater / Tod

Story/Status: Age 42 and married with two wonderful kids (age 11 and 13) and two mutts. Live in Melbourne, FL (near Don) and have been working almost 20 years in the computer software industry. I just recently “retired” from ten years as part time fishing guide to spend more time with family, friends and working on fitness.
I was active in sports growing up (football, wrestling, surfing, weightlifting, golf, racquetball) but not tri sports. I’m bitten by the tri bug and I haven’t done a race yet! Started training around mid 2006 and just recently found BT. I’m very much a newbie at tri sports. A major goal is to learn as much as possible, train smart and avoid injury. In the past, I’ve trained hard but not smart and the result was a plantar fasciitis injury.

Last Year’s Races: None

2007 Races: Complete at least 2 sprints and maybe 1 Oly.

Current Training Plan: Developed plan from Triathlete’s Training Bible by extending the spreadsheet template to include a weekly training plan.

Edited by shallowsaltwater 2007-01-24 4:12 PM
2007-01-24 5:55 PM
in reply to: #666815

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Welcome Tod - glad you're joining us.  This is a great group.

FYI and FWIW, I'm a newbie as well and looking forward to my first tri in April.  The encouragement I've received from this group and others (local GA folks) on this site is awesome.

Cheers!

2007-01-24 8:31 PM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
Hey Tod, welcome to our group!  We seem to be pretty active for compared to the average mentor group.  Welcome!

2007-01-25 7:25 AM
in reply to: #666478

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
avpant - 2007-01-24 12:57 PM Ok, after seeing all the posts on the fancy gear people have - let me make you all feel good about your bikes !! I ride a Scattante (i am sure you have never heard of the brand), nor had I until I started searching for a road bike after I got into the US... I found good componentry on this for a very low price (its a Performance house brand)... My bike is full 105 and I love it - its been really sturdy considering I have crashed it at-least 3-4 times... and in any case I have tons to imrove on the engine ! Look Pedals, Shimano shoes, Cateye 8 (tho i have to confess I still have trouble starting it off when i ride !, and I have an engineering degree :-( Use mostly Pearl Izumi stuff for riding - my fav possession is a new jacket that i bought for the cold.
I think it starts automatically.  All you need to do is press and hold both buttons simultaneously to clear the data from the last ride, release, and start pedaling.
2007-01-25 7:28 AM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

Welcome Tod!

Good Luck and Have Fun!

2007-01-25 7:50 AM
in reply to: #666405

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Bluejack - 2007-01-24 1:21 PM

Steven,

You are killing me 'cause I have the means to take the step up.  I had been thinking of a Cervelo Dual.  I know I would use the bike and it's nice to know there is equipment out there that would make a me faster.  We'll see. I'll show my wife thispost.  HEh heh.

Well, I think it is smart to stay with the bike you have until you know you will stay with the sport. I did my first 1.5 years on a Felt F75 RB with tiagra and 105 components. When you do upgrade the bike though, as I told Don, make sure it is one you will be happy with for a while. If you get the Dual, are you going to want a better one in a year? Maybe do like Don did and get a last year model closeout for a great price.

2007-01-25 7:55 AM
in reply to: #666815

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl

shallowsaltwater - 2007-01-24 5:10 PM Hello - Thank you Don for allowing me to join the group and I sincerly hope other members won't mind. Here's a brief intro. Username/Name: Shallowsaltwater / Tod Story/Status: Age 42 and married with two wonderful kids (age 11 and 13) and two mutts. Live in Melbourne, FL (near Don) and have been working almost 20 years in the computer software industry. I just recently “retired” from ten years as part time fishing guide to spend more time with family, friends and working on fitness. I was active in sports growing up (football, wrestling, surfing, weightlifting, golf, racquetball) but not tri sports. I’m bitten by the tri bug and I haven’t done a race yet! Started training around mid 2006 and just recently found BT. I’m very much a newbie at tri sports. A major goal is to learn as much as possible, train smart and avoid injury. In the past, I’ve trained hard but not smart and the result was a plantar fasciitis injury. Last Year’s Races: None 2007 Races: Complete at least 2 sprints and maybe 1 Oly. Current Training Plan: Developed plan from Triathlete’s Training Bible by extending the spreadsheet template to include a weekly training plan.

Welcome Tod. I also live in your area and ride with Don on Sat some mornings. You will have to join us. I have a similar background to you with mostly fast twitch sports and started this slow twitch stuff a few years ago.

As for races, the Moss park races are very small and low key. There is on in March and July. Also Pineappleman in June in Melbourne.  Where do you work. I am also a SW eng @ CSI who became Essex who will become Northrop Grumman next month.

2007-01-25 8:55 AM
in reply to: #667241

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
TitanIV - 2007-01-25 7:50 AM
Bluejack - 2007-01-24 1:21 PM

Steven,

Well, I think it is smart to stay with the bike you have until you know you will stay with the sport. I did my first 1.5 years on a Felt F75 RB with tiagra and 105 components. When you do upgrade the bike though, as I told Don, make sure it is one you will be happy with for a while. If you get the Dual, are you going to want a better one in a year? Maybe do like Don did and get a last year model closeout for a great price.

This is my third year biking/running.  I've been a swimmer most of my life, but not for endur.   I'm in the sport for the long haul.  I feel like once I have the IM under my belt, show myself that the engine is responsible for the finish, then I can start concentrating on speed and more advanced equipment.  Its not entirely logical, and a it's a bit of Spartan (masochistic?) thinking.

Part of me want to just splurge and get a sweet ride so I can have a lower time.  Get a power tap, get a top of the line ride, get a coach, etc. etc. So far I'm leaning towards minimalism. 

2007-01-25 9:59 AM
in reply to: #667328

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Bluejack - 2007-01-25 9:55 AM

...Its not entirely logical, and a it's a bit of Spartan (masochistic?) thinking.

Part of me want to just splurge and get a sweet ride so I can have a lower time.  Get a power tap, get a top of the line ride, get a coach, etc. etc. So far I'm leaning towards minimalism. 

Story of my life!  I was riding my MTB when I first met Cameron (Titan IV), I know he thought I was nuts!  In '05 I went on our annual vacation in upstate NY and found a local sprint tri that I could do.  I drove the bike course and said no way to riding the MTB! Found a used low-end RB to do it with and to see if I would like the RB aspect of it all.  When I signed up for the HIM last year I knew at that point I was in it for life and was going to buy a TB when the sales started.  Now days I love to ride the MTB again, I love the power it gives me.  38+ lbs of low end bike makes me work harder!  When I get on the TB I feel like I'm flying with way less effort.

IMHO, seriously look at renting some race wheels or higher end wheels.  You have a great shop or two in your area to looking into this.

2007-01-25 10:19 AM
in reply to: #667449

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: DRM's Group - Some Pedalling Feedback

DRM - 2007-01-22 5:17 PM
Question for you guys: What do you all have for bikes?  And what pedal equipment/shoes do you use?
1.      I have an 06 Felt S22 Tribike that I bought in Sept.  Has Time RSX (look type) pedals and use Shimano TR02 Tri Shoes.
2.      I also ride a 6 year old Trek 4500 MTB with toe cages.

Alright, I asked these questions because I was interested in who had clips & shoes vs regular flat pedals with or without toe cages, looks like most if not all have clips and shoes.  Not sure but most have Cadence meter too. It took me a while to understand what pedaling was all about.  When first got into riding in 2001, all I had was my 38lb MTB with toe cages and I was a masher.  That is, I pedaled well below the so called Mendoza line of ~85 RPMs, I was using the wrong muscle fibers to ride.  About 4 weeks after I joined BT in ’04, I read a thread on BT about pedal rate and did some research and went out to see how this works.  Instantly I picked up speed and was able to ride longer that way.  It took awhile for me to change my “natural” pedal rate but I did it, I even changed out my 8spd MTB rear cassette ratios (11-32) for a closer spread (12-23) to help stay in the sweet spot.  Then I found out about run stride rates and how the two are so inter-related when you get off of the bike and start your run.  More on this later…

When I got the RB last year I wanted to learned more about pedal technique.  I found a pretty good technical article (attached pdf) explaining the details of the technique and went out and practiced as I rode.  Now remember this was with pedals with toe cages still.  When I got the TB with clips & shoes, I was amazed how easy it was to pedal!  I could easily up my pedal rate over 100 and keep it there.  However I was still thinking about the technique and found that it was hard to do this when pedaling at a high rate of speed.  This past fall, shortly after I got the TB, I read in a magazine (forgot which one) that made it all simple again.  Pretty much the article said over 95 to 105 RPMs forget about all the details on pedal technique.  Due to the momentum involved, at this point you simply cannot focus on implementing it as it will overload your thought processes.  All you need to do is pump your knees in order to release the weight on the upward pedal and push on the other, form is to not bounce in the saddle. 
Now the following is my opinion only, you may find info counter to or in support of, or have a different sweet spot in the pedal rate, etc.:

1. Below 95 RPMs or so, work on technique, like when climbing a shallow hill where you can stay seated.  Or mix it up and gear up to slow the pedal rate and work on bringing it around.  I work on it during warm-up when I first start my ride as my pedal rate is naturally slower at this point.
  2. Above 95 RPMs or so, be an engine.  When I did my Bike LT a few weeks ago I visualized my knees being an engine piston, my lower leg the connecting rod and my foot/pedals the Crank arm.  I just worked on pumping my knees, not thinking about the other parts.  I was able to maintain a pedal rate of 103 to 109 the whole time.

I hope this helps, let me know what you think or if you have any questions…

Attachments
----------------
Pedal-Like-A-Pro-Article.pdf (67KB - 83 downloads)
2007-01-25 5:38 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

Thanks Don - I've seen that article somewhere before. but didn't save it.  I did this time.  Good info.

2007-01-25 8:35 PM

Regular
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Titan - I would be very interested in riding with you guys on an easy day. I work for a small software company called Modus Operandi in Indialantic.
2007-01-26 8:24 AM
in reply to: #668441

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl

shallowsaltwater - 2007-01-25 9:35 PM Thanks for the warm welcome! Titan - I would be very interested in riding with you guys on an easy day. I work for a small software company called Modus Operandi in Indialantic.

Our Sat rides are mostly easy. We also work things out with some other guys who want to go shorter to just meet up somewhere or peel off and head home when they are at there miles.

Our two common routes are around South Tropical Trail along the river and loop around Pineda and Eau Gallie Causeways to US1. Our other one is River Road (I think also called Rockledge Drive). One guy will drive up to my house and start from there to make the ride shorter.

Just let us know how far you want to go and we can recommend where to meet.

2007-01-26 8:41 AM

Regular
Titan - That sounds great. My next three Saturdays are booked. It you guys happen to ride on Sunday, let me know. I'll ping you soon about a Saturday ride.

Thanks,
Tod
2007-01-26 9:11 AM

User image

Master
Weekend plans:
Going to try and mountain bike tomorrow. I feel like my mountain bike needs some love.

Going to try and do a long slow distance swim tonight. Maybe 2 miles. 36x200 most likely.

Sunday is LSD run. 5.5 miles but may do 6 since that distance will be easier to measure.

Also, I need to replace the battery in my ipod mini. It only last for a few hours. I've had it for about 3 years now so its due.
2007-01-26 10:07 AM
in reply to: #668717

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl

shallowsaltwater - 2007-01-26 9:41 AM Titan - That sounds great. My next three Saturdays are booked. It you guys happen to ride on Sunday, let me know. I'll ping you soon about a Saturday ride. Thanks, Tod

Tod, PM me your email address and I will add you to our informal training buddy list we use to setup rides.

2007-01-26 12:36 PM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
I count as i go to keep cadence up.  When i watched the Tour this last year I just pedaled along with the cyclists on the screen and my cadence went up as i watched the stages.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » DRM's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 15