BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Atl_runner's group - full for now. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2007-06-07 1:53 PM
in reply to: #831895

User image

Extreme Veteran
London
Subject: RE: Atl_runner's group - Full.
I've got a British made road bike - Dawes Giro 300 (ala this one: http://www.dawescycles.com/dawes/giro-300.htm).
Changes from standard that I've made are: change the pedals for SPD's, add a frame bottle holder, a two bottle holder under the saddle and slapped a computer and set of lights on her.

I'm looking to get a set of aero-bars in the next few weeks but money is tight so *shrugs*

Here's a question: what do you guys do if you miss a day for whatever reason? make up the sessions over the next X days? just stick to the plan and carry on?

2007-06-07 2:17 PM
in reply to: #805274

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Subject: RE: Atl_runner's group - 2 spots open
Graycat,

I think it depends on the work out. If it is a short and less important one, I just tend to carry on from there. If it were some sort of big or important work out, then I would find a way to rearrange things to get it in somehow.
2007-06-07 2:31 PM
in reply to: #834486

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Atl_runner's group - Full.

Graycat - 2007-06-07 12:53 PM Here's a question: what do you guys do if you miss a day for whatever reason? make up the sessions over the next X days? just stick to the plan and carry on?

I typed up a whole bunch of crap and then re-read kimje's post!  I agree w/ her

Edited by TriForrestTri 2007-06-07 2:32 PM
2007-06-07 3:27 PM

User image

Master

Regarding missing a workout, if it is an easy, recovery type or maintenance type workout (3 mile run, zone 1-2 on the bike) I may skip it.  If it is a critical workout (hard workout, interval run, long run or long bike), I will try to make it up within a day or two.  Otherwise, I just continue one with the schedule.

On that note, I sit down on the weekends and map out my schedule over the next week and figure out how to fit my workouts in.  This lessons the chance of missing one.

Regarding bikesdirect.com,

I just bought the Vent Noir for my wife.  I am very pleased.  Some things we took a chance on (I personally believe that the handlebars are too wide for her - but this is a > $100 fix and we are still $500 under what a LBS would have charged us). 

For fit, we tried a few bikes are some LBS and I also measured her based on the Lemond formulas (http://www.cyclemetrics.com/pages/Docs/6-BikeFitting/LemondSystem/inseamtable.htm and http://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit/).  Fits like a charm.  I was professionally fit on all 3 of my bikes and by using the Lemond formulas, it works out to almost the exact same bike size. 

2007-06-07 4:17 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

ok everyone.. Kimje is up to bat... the Festival of Flowers Triathlon (Olympic) is this weekend. I'm thinking she should get some pressure.. just a little.. from us, because we all will be watching the results.

I'll start...

Seriously Kimje, Nice week before the race.. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing your results. Just looking at the quality and the numbers in your workouts, I'm thinking you'll have a great race, and that the competiton should be worried. Age group place?  We'll see.

ok, who's up?

Also.. anyone else racing this weekend? I think PeterAK is, but making it a (b) race.. (yeah right.. we know better.) There are no (b) races.

2007-06-07 6:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Oh the Pressure!!! This is actually my C race you know. And this is also only my 3rd triathlon of my entire life! I am just hoping to see that the hard work has paid off by improving my time from last year. I am mainly looking to improve on my poor swim last year, hopefully get a bit faster on the bike, and to maintain my run. I know the heat will be a factor as I don't feel like I'm acclimated to the heat and humidity yet, and it is predicted to be about 94 degrees. Oh well, it was about that hot last year anyway.

I am just excited to finally get out there and race!

2007-06-07 6:35 PM
in reply to: #834979

User image

Expert

Ohhhhh look at this!!!  She's coming up with excuses before the race even starts...  We expect nothing less than a podium finish

Seriously though, have a great race.  I'm sure you'll do well.

2007-06-07 9:50 PM

A C race?  Come on now!  Hope everything goes well!  I'm sure it will.  Best of luck this weekend and let us know how it goes!
2007-06-07 10:29 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

I'll be on cruise control, so maybe even a B/C race?  Would love to see how much faster I can go than last year, but I have a four hour hill ride scheduled for Sunday and want to make sure I don't blow myself out.  Gotta keep my eyes on the prize:  IMWI!

KIM!!!  How about some goal setting for Sunday?

2007-06-08 6:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Y'all are making me nervous! Last year the swim took me 38:30 or something like that. I'm going to hope for <35 minutes this year. I did the bike in 1:16 last year. I'm hoping to be a bit faster, <1:14. Did the run in 48 something last year and hoping to stay at 48 this year too. I finished exactly in the middle last year, my first tri ever. I'm hoping to make it into the top half this year. Overall time last year was 2:46. Hoping for 2:40. There. I said it. I think it is better to try and fail than not to try right?
2007-06-08 9:31 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

I'm predicting a 2:34.. but whatever the case, have a great race! Be safe, but stay focused. Be aggressive in the swim.. meaning keep your position and defend your space. That can be done with simple heads down swimming. Don't worry too much about what others are doing.

On the bike, make sure you are using the gears that the bike gods gave you. On a trainer, you might not get as good of a feel for when you need to change gears, but be sure to focus on that. You don't want to finish and think to yourself.. "I really should have ridden in a bigger gear" Make your adjustments early, then go from there.

On the run, relax your shoulders.. they will be a little tense from the ride. Turn the legs over as often as possible early, then lengthen your stride as you gain your running legs.  Start strong, finish strong. Don't be afraid to pour a cup of cold water over you at each water stop. Your mission here is to stay as cool as you can.. so do it by any means necessary. In  the end, it's only 6.2 miles.. you can kill it.

What is your nutrition plan? From the night before, through the finish line. 

2007-06-09 5:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Thanks for your advice! I don't know what we are having for dinner tonight. That will have to be a group decision. I will get in plenty of carbs. I will be up about 5 and have a PB and honey sandwich in the am. Right before the swim, I will eat a gel. On the bike I will have GE and 2 gels. During the run I will take what is on the course, Cytomax and hammergel. I mixed it up like that last year and didn't have any issues.
2007-06-09 7:59 PM

User image

Expert
Hi! My name is Pene (pronounced like Renee) and I live about 2 hours from Madison. I don't want to be a hog here, as I'm also on David Gillen's group, but I plan to do IMWI 2008, and there was a fellow on there going to do it for this year, then he disappeared! I was hoping to really pick his brain about the course, etc., then he went MIA on us. So when I read that a few of you here are doing IMMOO this year, I wondered if you'd let me join you as well?

I'm 40, a divorced mother of three, and a chiropractor. Tomorrow is my first outdoor sprint tri and I'm pretty relaxed right now, but will likely have to hurl tomorrow morning!!! Got the body markings today and the race packet! Had to get some groceries after and it was pretty cool to have people stop me to ask which race I'm doing!

Anyway, I'm pretty slow at everything. If I beat out even one person tomorrow, I'll be happy. I mean it! I am especially bad at the run, as I have exercise induced asthma. So, USAT Coach--you want to try to make me into a FAST runner capable of finishing an IM???? It will be a challenge, I assure you. However, I've been training like 9-10 hours a week, even though I have 15 months before my IM, so I DO have a bit of ambition! The other problem I have is I'm a scaredy cat on the downhills biking! Can make it up those monster mountains okay, then I freak on the downhill. Pretty pitiful, huh? But IMWI is pretty well known for it's hills, and we have PLENTY of them in this LaCrosse area here, so I'll have plenty of opportunity to practice! (Might have to take up drinking first for courage???)

Off now to recheck that bag (again) and maybe drink some nice chamomile tea so I can actually sleep okay tonight
2007-06-10 2:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Hey y'all. We have 15 people coming this afternoon for a cook out, swim, birthday party for our boy turning 3. I will post a race report tomorrow or Tuesday when we get the full results. Let's just say it was a disappointment, but I did finish. I think the time was around 2:51 or 2. I did learn a lot though and will not give up the fight. But, I do think I may have found out that I am destined to be a mid packer. Not bad I know.
2007-06-10 2:34 PM

User image

Ocean Springs, MS (on the Gulf of Mexico)
Hi,

I am interested in joining your group if you still have spots open. You were recommended by kimje who was in the other group I was in. Our other group seems to have slowed a bit as the leader is recovering from a collar bone injury. I am interested in continuing to interact with other tri geeks and found BT to be just what the Dr. ordered.

I am 45, married with 3 kids (21, 17, 16). I work for Northrop Grumman Corporation as a Process Improvement Consultant. I travel frequently to the headquarters in Los Angeles from my home in Ocean Springs, MS (Gulf Coast) so I have to work at keeping a training schedule.

I started tri's in 2005 by doing the Y'Tri in B'ham. We had about 12 people from my church go and we had a blast. I was hooked. I did 3 that first year (would have done more but Katrina changed our lives here) and 4 in 2006. So far this year, I have run my first Intermediate distance (inaugural AL Coastal Tri) in under 3 hrs and the YTri. My plan is to race in the Tri4God (Madison, MS) in June, do a tri relay in July (Heart O'Dixie in Philadelphia,MS), the Mt. Lakes Tri in August (Guntersville, AL) and a short sprint tri at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, MS in September. Finally, I am scheduled to run my first marathon as part of Team In Training in October (Chicago Marathon). My strength is the swim leg and my limiter is the run. My goal is to complete an Ironman before I am 50.

I read your first post about tri being a lifestyle and I have to say that although I never set out to have it become that, it has definitely impacted my life greatly. I am looking to encourage and be encouraged. I am really psyched up in that I am in the best physical shape I have been in since high school. Hope you guys have room for a Clydesdale in your midst!

2007-06-10 3:19 PM

User image

Expert
Hi Guys! Since no one has told me I'm not in here, I'm gonna assume it's Okay? I did my first outdoor tri today, and it was a total BLAST! I mean, serious fun! I was all nervous because earlier in the week I had experienced some nerve-induced asthma for the swim and run. That didn't happen today! There were 72 newbies at this tri and 275 people total, so that was a great percentage for this newbie with nerves! I don't really have the official results yet, and it is, I assure you, a very slow time, but I just don't care! I had fun, I didn't puke or faint, and I was definitely not at all last--mission accomplished!! I met some really fun ladies and was even singing "follow the yellow brick road" on the run because they had yellow arrows painted on the road! I crossed the finish line with this sweetheart of a lady, age 59, who looked in great shape, as we joked together and jogged the last mile, encouraging eachother along! I just had a nap and am taking my sister out to supper tonight at Red Lobster as my reward to myself! My three kiddos are spending this whole week with my mom, so I'll have some serious training to do this week (as soon as my legs quit feeling rather funny!). Good Job Kimje!!!!! I hope you had beautiful weather for your tri too!!

2007-06-10 4:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Here with an update. One of the people coming to our cookout was photographing the tri today. He came in carrying my 3rd place award for my age group! I guess everyone else had as much trouble today as I did. Makes me feel better already.
2007-06-11 11:10 AM

Regular
here's my plan for this week..

Mon - yoga, swim/35 mi bike
Tues - abs wo
Wed - yoga, 35 min run
Thurs - abs wo, swim
Fri - yoga, swim
Sat - bike outside
Sun - yoga, 6 mi run

Congrats to all who raced this weekend.. makes me excited about mine.. but I need to seriously learn how to swim before then.. :P
2007-06-11 11:19 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

Hey group.. the two folks who want to join us, feel free.. and consider yourselves members. Welcome!

Kimje.. 3rd place is GREAT! Congratulations. You're an age grouper!! I can't wait to read the race report. It was HOT here in Atlanta, so I imagine it was much the same where you were. Great job. I might target this race next year. I've heard good things about it. Comment if you can.

I had a pretty good weekend with my workouts.. errr workout. Did a 60 mile bike at 18mph.. essentially the end of my recovery. I did not run on sunday, but my legs definitely feel ready to get back into it. Starting tonight.. I have some treadmill intervals planned. YAY.

PeterAK.. how did your race go?

Lilturtle.. where did you go?

Hope everyone else had a great weekend. A nice week of workouts lies ahead.

Mine:
Monday: Tread Intervals 10/2:30 1 min recovery. Swim: 1500.
Tuesday: 7 mile run on hills.
Wednesday: Spin Run Spin Class.
Thursday: off
Friday: Long swim dependant on 5k swim on sat.
Saturday: Clemson Swim Meet open.
Sunday: Long Run. 13.1 miles.
2007-06-11 12:03 PM
in reply to: #838974

User image

Expert
In limbo
atl_runner - 2007-06-11 10:19 AM

Lilturtle.. where did you go?

I'm still here....saturday was my college graduation so i've been busy w/that.  If you'd read my logs you would've known that. :-P  I'll try to write more later.

2007-06-11 1:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
I posted my race report for anyone interested. It was still a generally bad race. I can't figure out why I had a slow bike. I guess the swim must have worn me out more than I thought, although I didn't feel exhausted coming out of the water. I did the same race last year with similar training patterns and did 7 minutes faster on the bike. I plan to go back and check my logs from last year to see if I pick up anything major that was different. I want to learn from this mistake. At least I did it, and I did finish.

2007-06-12 10:05 AM

I thought I posted this yesterday but I must not have hit the submit button.  Here was the update on the knee surgery I was supposed to have. 

Today was surgery day, and that's about all the further I got.  I went to see the surgeon before hand for one last appointment when I asked her why my lower left leg hurt so badly and it was slightly swollen too.  She felt the back of my calf and I cringed in pain.  Right away she wanted to schedule an ultrasound due to a suspected blood clot.  Obviously, operating on my knee with a blood clot would be a serious issue, especially if it let loose and got to my lungs.  Sure enough, there was a clot in the back of my knee so I went through a series of different appointments.  I had blood drawn, was perscribed blood thinners and learned how to administer shots to myself in the abdomen.  So, the surgery is postponed until the clot disappears and it looks like my family vacation to San Antonio will be in jeopordy. 

2007-06-12 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Wow.. I am so sorry to hear that. Good job for being so alert to your condition though. Some people would have thought the swelling was due to the tear.. Now is the time where you have to draw on the stregth that all the training gives you and stay determined to beat all of this. Keep us posted. Better days are ahead. Just try to see beyond the current moment.. even as hard as that might be.
2007-06-12 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo

Well...I just registered for my first tri!! And now I'm wondering what the heck I was thinking!  It's 7/15....it's the danskin sprint...i think I mentioned it before on this thread....half mile swim, 12 mile bike, 5k run.  I was really hoping to do a couple of 5k's before I even considered a tri but because of my shins that hasn't worked out.  Hopefully by this weekend though I'll be able to start adding a little running back into my training.  I'm scared to death.  I can handle the swimming and biking distances, though slowly....and I can always walk the run, so I know I can finish it but I'm still really scared about the logistics of it all. 

I also need to figure out a new training plan for this next month.  i have all the time in the world (done with school, don't have a job yet) so time is not a limiter right now but I also don't want to try to do too much and end up hurt.  Any thoughts?  I've looked at the sprint plans on this site....I'm thinking I could use the last month or so of the 16 week sprint plan....but those bike/swim times are below what I'm already doing and I'd like to be adding in some additional time since I have more time available.  Maybe I could use a portion of an olympic plan and just shorten the run times until I get comfortable running again....Any ideas?  Also any thoughts on how to fill in extra training time w/out overdoing it w/the main 3 sports?  Thanks! 

2007-06-12 3:02 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
I could put something together for you.. very beginner centric. The way we can work it is i'll send you something through to the race date, you send it back with any changes you might want to put in there, then I will finalize it and send it back to you. Look for something tomorrow or wednesday. Only one qustion I have for you.. where do you want to start with all your distances? I can suggest, but I would like to know what you think instinctively.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Atl_runner's group - full for now. Rss Feed  

of 15