BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's Ironman/Half-Ironman focused Mentor Group --CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 95

2012-02-23 6:36 PM
in reply to: #4063501

User image

Subject: RE: Fred D's Ironman/Half-Ironman focused Mentor Group --CLOSED
Fred D - 2012-02-23 4:02 PM
ChrisM - 2012-02-23 6:01 PM

Thanks Kim 

So, did anyone buy FLO?  I can't believe the reaction to these wheels.  I guess it's the price?  It's like the people outside the apple store for the iPad version X.0, or selling out a WTC race in 1 minute.....  I haven't really followed it so I don't know the owners' bona fides or whether it's just two guys selling wheels? 

Fun to watch from the sidelines though

I haven't followed it that much. What is the 'reaction' to the Flo wheels?

it's a bit insane.  They have set up different buying groups I guess, since they haven't actually made many wheels.  The first group gets theirs late March, second group July, third group September - may have the timing off, but you pay in full now for wheels you get - and no one else has ridden other than one review I guess - in September.  It must be the price.   $375 for 60s, $500 for discs, similar prices for 90s (didn't look)

2012-02-23 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4063531

User image

Pro
bzgl40 - 2012-02-23 7:30 PM
ChrisM - 2012-02-23 3:01 PM

So, did anyone buy FLO?  I can't believe the reaction to these wheels.  I guess it's the price?  It's like the people outside the apple store for the iPad version X.0, or selling out a WTC race in 1 minute.....  I haven't really followed it so I don't know the owners' bona fides or whether it's just two guys selling wheels? 

I think it has to be the price.  I'd love to have aero wheels but I cannot justify the cost at all, and I think a lot are like me.  This brings them into reality for a lot of folks.  I think I might look at them further down the road. 

I've got a used HED3 Rear and HED Jet 6 front. Under $500 for my mismatched pair. I'm happy with them.

When FLOs start shipping, the classifieds might be flooded with used aero wheels

2012-02-23 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4063643

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-02-24 5:02 AM
in reply to: #4063665

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Congratulations on the TT bike.  Assuming you are getting one.

TSimone - 2012-02-23 9:14 PM

I read (I believe on EN) that if you have to choose between aero wheels and a power meter, bag the wheels and get the power meter.  Kind of an ROI thing.  I tend to agree with that.  Thoughts?

It would be fun to see this post in Tri Talk. 

So really it is a question of Pacing ver. Aerodynamics. 

I would take the wheel first because there are several other ways of pacing.  Also assuming on your level.  A first timer triathlete has so much to figure out over with the training/racing and learning/fitness curve imo.

2012-02-24 6:46 AM
in reply to: #4063912

2012-02-24 7:16 AM
in reply to: #4063531

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
bzgl40 - 2012-02-23 7:30 PM
ChrisM - 2012-02-23 3:01 PM

I think it has to be the price.  I'd love to have aero wheels but I cannot justify the cost at all, and I think a lot are like me.  This brings them into reality for a lot of folks.  I think I might look at them further down the road. 

I bailed on the FLO wheels.  For me it was the price.  But, I do not want to wait 1 year for an unproven wheel that could have potential manufacturing problems out of the gate.  I like the classfied idea...that could be a good possibility down the line.

2012-02-24 7:24 AM
in reply to: #4063665

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I'm going to get fitted for a tri bike in a couple of weeks.  I read (I believe on EN) that if you have to choose between aero wheels and a power meter, bag the wheels and get the power meter.  Kind of an ROI thing.  I tend to agree with that.  Thoughts?

And I got in a VO2 max ride tonight.  Closest I've come to needing the bucket since I started pedaling...

I think it could be debated well for either one.  To be honest...now that  I am training with power via TR on the bike it made me realize that I was training just as hard and as smart as when I used RPE or heart rate.  To me it is just another metric that is nice to use...but not necessary for me personally to spend alot of money on but it has its place.  I guess if I had alot of disposable income i would buy a PM haha.  Agree with James that pacing can be judged several ways.  I think riding alot and learning RPE for your body is an invaluable tool when translated to racing.

If a person raced 10-12 times per year then maybe the wheels are a better choice...I guess..maybe .

The Cervelo and the Felt fit pretty close.  I could have went with either one but went with Felt because I had my heart set on it.  It is a fun decision to have to make!

2012-02-24 7:26 AM
in reply to: #4063965

Pro
TSimone - 2012-02-24 7:46 AM
tasr - 2012-02-24 6:02 AM

I read (I believe on EN) that if you have to choose between aero wheels and a power meter, bag the wheels and get the power meter.  Kind of an ROI thing.  I tend to agree with that.  Thoughts?

I would take the wheel first because there are several other ways of pacing.  Also assuming on your level.  A first timer triathlete has so much to figure out over with the training/racing and learning/fitness curve imo.

Yea, I'm going to get a TT bike.  Not even going in with a brand in mind.  They'll tell me what bikes will fit me best.  Although secretly, I'm pulling for the B16.    They sell Cervelo, Scott and Felt.  So of those 3 I suspect I'll find something I like.  Would the fitter actually tell me if a Cannondale would be the best fit, even though they don't sell them?  My first instinct is no, but I'm not sure.

As for the wheels/PM, I can see both sides of the debate.

So, I talked to a local fitter at a Trek shop. He's a cool guy. I told him that my tri team was going to have a bike sponsor, and it was very unlikely that it would be Trek. He said that I could come in and get a preliminary fit, where I'd get my stack/reach and other numbers, and he'd help me pick out the right frame size. Then, when I get the bike, he'd fit me to it. He named a flat price, and was really ok with the fact that I wouldn't be purchasing a bike there, because if I needed to swap saddles, stems, or anything, I'd be buying those there. Ask around - you might be able to find something similar

As for wheels/powermeter:

I'm slow. I know I'm slow. I know that to fix my slow, I need to ride my bike more. It's that simple for me at this point. I'm good at pacing myself in training and in races though. I don't think I'd really benefit from a power meter. I got wheels when I found a good deal. Power meters are just too expensive for me to even consider right now.

2012-02-24 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3946905

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Good morning team!

I woke up and did a little yoga. This 'break' from training that was supposed to be so relaxing seems to have tied my body into knots. I have a kink in my shoulder, my back is ridiculoulsy tight, my feet are all stiff ... anyway, i will be out of town for the weekend but am looking into couple of gyms I could drop into either to swim and/or do a spin class.

We were supposed to get a dumping of snow but woke up to just drizzle so i hope it stays that way for my drive out of town.

Interesting discussion on the power tap vs aero wheels. There are a few things that would be factors - do you race a lot (favour the wheels if you do)?  do you tend to have pacing problems when racing?  because if you do then the power tap may be more helpful but looking for an aero assist the wheels are a great choice.

2012-02-24 9:28 AM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Well, i had an interesting workout last night, i was doing Local Hero on Trainerroad and in the 7th interval i exploded in grand fashion. I do not know if it was the run from earlier in the day or something else, i just popped.  I did not feel great but i was meeting my power numbers, it was an effort, something felt off, i tried to re-gather myself but just could not, when i got to my first sprint finish in interval 8, i hit it hard, trying to spark something, i saw some big power numbers durig the sprint then something weird happened and the bike started to make funny noises.  I basically quit on the workout, when i looked down somewhere around the 1hour mark, i noticed that there was no more lower derailleur pulley, it was lying in 3 pieces on my carpet.  I do not know if it was seized or was seizing during the workout, but when i sprinted i exploded the pulley and the chain was riding on the bearing itself.  I will pull it apart tonight and see if the bearing is seized, i am hoping it is, it might make more sense, but sometimes workouts and races do not go as planned.

i am having a Dunkin Donut right now....and a hot chocolate. Yes i am mentally unstable.

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/31342

2012-02-24 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4063429

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
ChrisM - 2012-02-23 6:01 PM

Thanks Kim 

I did not buy them, but I am also not surprised at the reaction, all you have to do is look at threads like the stuff for the new Garmin goodies or anything else.  There is a bandwagon, people are getting on it.

That being said, if the wheels live up to the hype, which i believe they will, it will be a good product and may help in reducing the cost for wheels in the primary and secondary market. It also might attract the attention of some Mfg's to make something out of their norm to compete.

i hope they are all they say they are.

i still ride my chinese carbon rims, no amount of aero is going to fix a crappy motor, you still need to do the work.

I think it is a good thing, time will tell

2012-02-24 9:42 AM
in reply to: #4064010

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
rymac - 2012-02-24 8:24 AM

I'm going to get fitted for a tri bike in a couple of weeks.  I read (I believe on EN) that if you have to choose between aero wheels and a power meter, bag the wheels and get the power meter.  Kind of an ROI thing.  I tend to agree with that.  Thoughts?

And I got in a VO2 max ride tonight.  Closest I've come to needing the bucket since I started pedaling...

I think it could be debated well for either one.  To be honest...now that  I am training with power via TR on the bike it made me realize that I was training just as hard and as smart as when I used RPE or heart rate.  To me it is just another metric that is nice to use...but not necessary for me personally to spend alot of money on but it has its place.  I guess if I had alot of disposable income i would buy a PM haha.  Agree with James that pacing can be judged several ways.  I think riding alot and learning RPE for your body is an invaluable tool when translated to racing.

If a person raced 10-12 times per year then maybe the wheels are a better choice...I guess..maybe .

The Cervelo and the Felt fit pretty close.  I could have went with either one but went with Felt because I had my heart set on it.  It is a fun decision to have to make!

my thoughts exactly on PT vs aero wheels.

I would personally buy anything but a Cervelo, just not a fan.

2012-02-24 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4064251

Pro
Rudedog55 - 2012-02-24 10:28 AM

Well, i had an interesting workout last night, i was doing Local Hero on Trainerroad and in the 7th interval i exploded in grand fashion. I do not know if it was the run from earlier in the day or something else, i just popped.  I did not feel great but i was meeting my power numbers, it was an effort, something felt off, i tried to re-gather myself but just could not, when i got to my first sprint finish in interval 8, i hit it hard, trying to spark something, i saw some big power numbers durig the sprint then something weird happened and the bike started to make funny noises.  I basically quit on the workout, when i looked down somewhere around the 1hour mark, i noticed that there was no more lower derailleur pulley, it was lying in 3 pieces on my carpet.  I do not know if it was seized or was seizing during the workout, but when i sprinted i exploded the pulley and the chain was riding on the bearing itself.  I will pull it apart tonight and see if the bearing is seized, i am hoping it is, it might make more sense, but sometimes workouts and races do not go as planned.

i am having a Dunkin Donut right now....and a hot chocolate. Yes i am mentally unstable.

You rode so hard you broke your bike?! Awesome  

2012-02-24 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4064013

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
ratherbeswimming - 2012-02-24 8:26 AM
TSimone - 2012-02-24 7:46 AM
tasr - 2012-02-24 6:02 AM

Yea, I'm going to get a TT bike.  Not even going in with a brand in mind.  They'll tell me what bikes will fit me best.  Although secretly, I'm pulling for the B16.    They sell Cervelo, Scott and Felt.  So of those 3 I suspect I'll find something I like.  Would the fitter actually tell me if a Cannondale would be the best fit, even though they don't sell them?  My first instinct is no, but I'm not sure.

As for the wheels/PM, I can see both sides of the debate.

So, I talked to a local fitter at a Trek shop. He's a cool guy. I told him that my tri team was going to have a bike sponsor, and it was very unlikely that it would be Trek. He said that I could come in and get a preliminary fit, where I'd get my stack/reach and other numbers, and he'd help me pick out the right frame size. Then, when I get the bike, he'd fit me to it. He named a flat price, and was really ok with the fact that I wouldn't be purchasing a bike there, because if I needed to swap saddles, stems, or anything, I'd be buying those there. Ask around - you might be able to find something similar

As for wheels/powermeter:

I'm slow. I know I'm slow. I know that to fix my slow, I need to ride my bike more. It's that simple for me at this point. I'm good at pacing myself in training and in races though. I don't think I'd really benefit from a power meter. I got wheels when I found a good deal. Power meters are just too expensive for me to even consider right now.

That is a good shop, and a smart shop, and probably has you as a customer for a very long time because of it. I love reading stories that are good in relation to the LBS, thanks Elaine for the post!!

2012-02-24 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4064287

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
ratherbeswimming - 2012-02-24 10:43 AM
Rudedog55 - 2012-02-24 10:28 AM

You rode so hard you broke your bike?! Awesome  

i'd much rather blame it on crappy maintenance from my bike mechanic vs being so strong i broke the bike.  I will have to have a talk with him. Since i talk to my self so much anyway, it won't really be that unusual...!!!!  HA!!!

2012-02-24 4:30 PM

2012-02-24 4:31 PM
in reply to: #4063501

2012-02-24 4:58 PM

Payson, AZ

Did a rough speed run workout in the heat of the afternoon.  Heat of Texas won't be a factor for me (course the humidity will kill me.)   It was a mixed set of intervals but it ended with :30 with :15 rest.  It is amazing how long 30 secs is and how short 15 is.

Fred, did the dr seem concerned you are still experiencing pain?

2012-02-24 6:27 PM
in reply to: #4065308

2012-02-25 6:17 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

I am getting ready for a 10 mile run.  If I survive the 15-20mph winds and 30mph gusts I will have a CT ride tonight.

I hope everybody can get in some training and has a great day at it. 

2012-02-25 6:23 AM
in reply to: #4065747

2012-02-25 7:14 AM

Payson, AZ

Long bike ride today.  I've had a friend joining me lately on my long rides and that has been good.  At first she use to slow me down quite a bit but she's able to stay with me now.  She's working a bit harder but by the end of the summer I bet she's at the same level.  Shows how far you can come in a short time frame if you put the time in.  Biking is all she does and she makes a concentrated effort to always get at least 100 miles a week in.

I am starting to see some swim progress.  I am still slow but not as slow.  So that is good.  At some point in time I will have to start throwing in some sighting practice during my warmups to make sure I am ready for the race.  There will be on OWS practice for me so I'll have to do it in the pool.  Anyone else practice their sighting as they get closer to a race?

2012-02-25 7:35 AM
in reply to: #4065787

2012-02-25 10:48 AM
in reply to: #4065747

Elite
tasr - 2012-02-25 6:17 AM

I am getting ready for a 10 mile run.  If I survive the 15-20mph winds and 30mph gusts I will have a CT ride tonight.

I hope everybody can get in some training and has a great day at it. 

I hope it went well for you. I wanted to do my 12 miles outside but just couldn't get myself to put up with the wind and 11 degree temps. It was another long pull on the treadmill. But, today's 12 felt much better than last weeks 11.
2012-02-25 3:45 PM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Had a great long ride on the trainer this morning. Did 5x10' at 95-100%FTP as the main set. Planning to get a run in tomorrow but this has been a real good week for me. Have a good weekend.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's Ironman/Half-Ironman focused Mentor Group --CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 95