BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-06-27 10:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Rumors and Gossip

Endurance Nation did a member's town hall session online earlier this week (I was riding my bike so I am catching up with the recording).  As part of it, there was a challenge -- they want an additional 50 Ironman (full distance) sign ups. These are new sign ups and there are some benefits (EN gear mostly). If this goal is met, they will make Coach Patrick do something embarrassing at Kona. 

Why am I telling you this? Because Ironman issued the challenge to Endurance Nation.  And why did Ironman issue this challenge to EN (and presumably other large teams like Wattie Inc, Big Sexy Racing, etc.)?  Well, races are not selling out.

This makes me think that the earlier rumor that I heard about 2019 possibly being the last IMNC may be on target.

I keep getting emails from IM Wisconsin begging me to sign up. At first i thought it was because I am obviously an elite athlete and they want me specifically there to help raise the race profile, but now i'm starting to think it may be because the races aren't selling out like they used too

We all know that you are an Elite Athlete and would be a big draw for spectators!

I keep getting emails for Louisville and Chattanooga.  Lake Placid hasn't sold out yet either.  They added some sort of triclub thing to Chattanooga and they added a relay as well. The added some All World Athlete thing to Louisville.

Yes, i'm getting the l-ville and choo emails too! I wonder if they lowered the price if that would help?! 

ETA: I also got a survey from IM asking all sort of marketing type questions -not marketing as in what they needed to do to get more racers (though there was something about free health screenings at the athlete village and would that be good -no) , but what products do i buy and will buy. Did you get it too?

Edited by amd723 2019-06-27 10:55 AM

2019-06-27 11:00 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Rumors and Gossip

Endurance Nation did a member's town hall session online earlier this week (I was riding my bike so I am catching up with the recording).  As part of it, there was a challenge -- they want an additional 50 Ironman (full distance) sign ups. These are new sign ups and there are some benefits (EN gear mostly). If this goal is met, they will make Coach Patrick do something embarrassing at Kona. 

Why am I telling you this? Because Ironman issued the challenge to Endurance Nation.  And why did Ironman issue this challenge to EN (and presumably other large teams like Wattie Inc, Big Sexy Racing, etc.)?  Well, races are not selling out.

This makes me think that the earlier rumor that I heard about 2019 possibly being the last IMNC may be on target.

I keep getting emails from IM Wisconsin begging me to sign up. At first i thought it was because I am obviously an elite athlete and they want me specifically there to help raise the race profile, but now i'm starting to think it may be because the races aren't selling out like they used too

We all know that you are an Elite Athlete and would be a big draw for spectators!

I keep getting emails for Louisville and Chattanooga.  Lake Placid hasn't sold out yet either.  They added some sort of triclub thing to Chattanooga and they added a relay as well. The added some All World Athlete thing to Louisville.

Yes, i'm getting the l-ville and choo emails too! I wonder if they lowered the price if that would help?! 

ETA: I also got a survey from IM asking all sort of marketing type questions -not marketing as in what they needed to do to get more racers (though there was something about free health screenings at the athlete village and would that be good -no) , but what products do i buy and will buy. Did you get it too?

Now that's just crazy talk!  $750 is a bargain!

2019-06-27 12:38 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Happy birthday, Chris!

Happy birthday!!

Thank you very much.

I find the WTC/IM threads to be interesting, if only at the "How not to run a business" level. Triathlon is a niche sport. WTC seems to think they are running the NBA. Anyone see an issue with that?

2019-06-27 12:47 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, Colorado
Happy birthday, Chris!!
2019-06-27 12:48 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by IronOx

I had a great race on Sunday.  Had the swim of my life, despite feeling like I was slow the entire time.  I executed my plan on the bike and had a decent time, and went out a bit hot on the run, on purpose to see what I could do, and ended up slowing down on the second half.  All in all a really good race for me.  I had wanted to take my training into the race and I feel I did that, so pretty happy.  I have learned a ton so far this season, about about myself mostly and I used it all on Sunday.  Whistler 70.3 is up next!

Can't wait for the race report!
2019-06-27 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Rumors and Gossip

I did. I actually started it and then realize that it would take more than the 1.5 minutes I was willing to give so I quit. That's me, a quitter.

2019-06-27 1:35 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Rumors and Gossip

I did. I actually started it and then realize that it would take more than the 1.5 minutes I was willing to give so I quit. That's me, a quitter.

I didn't realize how long it was until i started it and then it became a test to see if i could last to the end. Plus  i'm sure i'm going to win the free race entry i'm in the running for for completing the survey  I know you can enter the contest without completing it, but I think those entries are tossed out

2019-06-27 1:39 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Rumors and Gossip

I didn't realize how long it was until i started it and then it became a test to see if i could last to the end. Plus  i'm sure i'm going to win the free race entry i'm in the running for for completing the survey  I know you can enter the contest without completing it, but I think those entries are tossed out

Wisconsin, huh?  Or maybe something easier like Ireland?

2019-06-27 1:41 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Rumors and Gossip

Holy moly that weather was crazy for Ireland! And pros pushed bikes up that one hill - yikes!  

2019-06-27 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Rumors and Gossip

Holy moly that weather was crazy for Ireland! And pros pushed bikes up that one hill - yikes!  

Florida Strong!

2019-06-27 1:47 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

PSA: Write your race reports even if you don't make them public to us.

I have a big bike block this weekend. I'm supposed to be practicing my nutrition tomorrow. I don't remember what I did last time

Thank goodness for race reports!

2019-06-28 4:54 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Proof of life post --- Happy Friday, Manatees!

Robin, so sorry about Dug, it's so hard to lose a beloved pet

2019-06-28 1:15 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Denver, Colorado
Happy Friday to you too and all of the Manatees! I hope everyone is ready for the long weekend coming up next week....

OK, I finally got myself a wetsuit. It is a sleeveless one, Xterra Vortex. I put it on and it was hard to breath, and uncomfortable on the neck. I did some reading and it seems like 1) I probably did not put it on correctly, and should've pull more from the legs (which could be true, as I was doing it in a hurry - I was so excited! 2) I read it expands in a water, 3) it expands over time.

I will probably need to try it on once again, in a proper way, with more patience, and also test it in a water, before I think of exchanging, but I wanted to double check with you guys, since you're my guru. Everything else fit perfect, and I did not really struggle with putting it on, so I worry if I order a size bigger, it will ruin everything. So am really hoping this is just a matter of proper wearing and the water experience.

My other question to you is what do you wear under, especially women. And not only what is the piece of wardobe, but if there is a general advice on the material/fabric. I would assume no cotton, but is there any benefit of specific fabric, or anything I should avoid. Or is it just a matter of preference?

Also, what are your thoughts on the glides and chaffing? Should I just test it first to see if it would chaff, or is glide a standard? And if so, what are your product recommendations?

Any other tips, advice, dos/don'ts - please share
2019-06-28 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by marysia83 Happy Friday to you too and all of the Manatees! I hope everyone is ready for the long weekend coming up next week.... OK, I finally got myself a wetsuit. It is a sleeveless one, Xterra Vortex. I put it on and it was hard to breath, and uncomfortable on the neck. I did some reading and it seems like 1) I probably did not put it on correctly, and should've pull more from the legs (which could be true, as I was doing it in a hurry - I was so excited! 2) I read it expands in a water, 3) it expands over time. I will probably need to try it on once again, in a proper way, with more patience, and also test it in a water, before I think of exchanging, but I wanted to double check with you guys, since you're my guru. Everything else fit perfect, and I did not really struggle with putting it on, so I worry if I order a size bigger, it will ruin everything. So am really hoping this is just a matter of proper wearing and the water experience. My other question to you is what do you wear under, especially women. And not only what is the piece of wardobe, but if there is a general advice on the material/fabric. I would assume no cotton, but is there any benefit of specific fabric, or anything I should avoid. Or is it just a matter of preference? Also, what are your thoughts on the glides and chaffing? Should I just test it first to see if it would chaff, or is glide a standard? And if so, what are your product recommendations? Any other tips, advice, dos/don'ts - please share

Ugh, wetsuits! New ones or ones you haven't worn in a while are tight and will make you feel like you can't breathe. The more you wear it, the better it gets. You can help the process along by soaking it in your bathtub (pro tip from Janyne). Make sure you practice with it before any races.  You should also body glide around the neck, arm holes, and ankles -the neck and arm holes for chafing issues, the ankles to help get in on and take it off.

If i'm wearing the suit just to get a swim in, I wear my bathing suit under it or my tri kit if i want to make sure everything fits like it should. For triathlons less than ironman distance I wear my race kit ( I usually race in a tri-suit). For IM races I wear my tri shorts, but only a sports bra on top. I add my bike top in t-1.     

Thankfully, I don't have to wear wet suits that often, so the more experienced may have more tips.

Edited by amd723 2019-06-28 1:47 PM
2019-06-28 4:44 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Thanks Anne Marie!
I do not have a tri suite, I do not have a budget for it right now (saving for a bike and maybe swim lesson with a coach), so will probably wear the shorts I use for bike, and a sports bra. It scares me to put another layer of clothes, while it's already so tight!!
Thanks for all the tips!
2019-06-28 4:46 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83 Thanks Anne Marie! I do not have a tri suite, I do not have a budget for it right now (saving for a bike and maybe swim lesson with a coach), so will probably wear the shorts I use for bike, and a sports bra. It scares me to put another layer of clothes, while it's already so tight!! Thanks for all the tips!

You can't be naked under there, that's for sure!

2019-06-28 4:48 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

June 29-30
Anne - VCVC Gravel Grinder, Macon, MO - 75 miles

Is anyone else racing?

July 3 is Adam's birthday

2019-06-28 4:53 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83 Happy Friday to you too and all of the Manatees! I hope everyone is ready for the long weekend coming up next week.... OK, I finally got myself a wetsuit. It is a sleeveless one, Xterra Vortex. I put it on and it was hard to breath, and uncomfortable on the neck. I did some reading and it seems like 1) I probably did not put it on correctly, and should've pull more from the legs (which could be true, as I was doing it in a hurry - I was so excited! 2) I read it expands in a water, 3) it expands over time. I will probably need to try it on once again, in a proper way, with more patience, and also test it in a water, before I think of exchanging, but I wanted to double check with you guys, since you're my guru. Everything else fit perfect, and I did not really struggle with putting it on, so I worry if I order a size bigger, it will ruin everything. So am really hoping this is just a matter of proper wearing and the water experience. My other question to you is what do you wear under, especially women. And not only what is the piece of wardobe, but if there is a general advice on the material/fabric. I would assume no cotton, but is there any benefit of specific fabric, or anything I should avoid. Or is it just a matter of preference? Also, what are your thoughts on the glides and chaffing? Should I just test it first to see if it would chaff, or is glide a standard? And if so, what are your product recommendations? Any other tips, advice, dos/don'ts - please share

Ugh, wetsuits! New ones or ones you haven't worn in a while are tight and will make you feel like you can't breathe. The more you wear it, the better it gets. You can help the process along by soaking it in your bathtub (pro tip from Janyne). Make sure you practice with it before any races.  You should also body glide around the neck, arm holes, and ankles -the neck and arm holes for chafing issues, the ankles to help get in on and take it off.

If i'm wearing the suit just to get a swim in, I wear my bathing suit under it or my tri kit if i want to make sure everything fits like it should. For triathlons less than ironman distance I wear my race kit ( I usually race in a tri-suit). For IM races I wear my tri shorts, but only a sports bra on top. I add my bike top in t-1.     

Thankfully, I don't have to wear wet suits that often, so the more experienced may have more tips.

What Ann-Marie said. I don't think there is such a thing as too much lube on your heck and arm pits.

I use Gold Bond Friction Defense (mostly because I can get it at the grocery store) but I know a lot of people use Body Glide instead.  I also use 2Toms SportsShield.  

I also do the tri shorts + bra for full iron distance and tri shorts+bra+tri top for half distance and shorter.

2019-06-29 3:56 PM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I wear a surfing rash guard shirt under my sleeveless wetsuit. Eliminates my need for glide and adds minimal time in transition.

I also wear it for all OWS and non wetsuit swims because I get ridiculous chafing on the inside of my upper arms from the seams on my tri kit and swimsuit.
2019-06-29 4:46 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Manatees,

Let's talk recovery compression boots. I'm looking to order an Air Relax system like now and I have a question about the leg sleeve length. I'm kind of borderline between sizes. I assume that sizing up (to a longer sleeve) is the way to go.  Correct?

ETA: Should have actually read the site: " If you are between sizes we advise choosing the longer boot."

Also, I'm thinking the bag would be a good thing?

Edited by jmkizer 2019-06-29 4:48 PM
2019-06-29 5:06 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Manatees,

Let's talk recovery compression boots. I'm looking to order an Air Relax system like now and I have a question about the leg sleeve length. I'm kind of borderline between sizes. I assume that sizing up (to a longer sleeve) is the way to go.  Correct?

ETA: Should have actually read the site: " If you are between sizes we advise choosing the longer boot."

As you know, I was left to my own devices at Choo 70.3 and bought the ”sale” price NormaTec boots at the sucker’s   athletes’ village. They did not have the shorter boot, so I got the longer. Works fine as I can program how many zones on the boot to use. 1 less than max works like shorter booth, but I often use all zones and get higher on my hips.  I did not buy the carry case bc I thought it was too expensive for what it was and have just been using the big bag i got when I bought it. That said, it would be nice to have something a bit nicer, more compact. The normatec can run for 2 hours off a battery, so taking it when I do long rides for use right after would be more convenient with the carrier, but the bag isn’t that much of an issue.

2019-06-29 5:38 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Manatees,

As you know, I was left to my own devices at Choo 70.3 and bought the ”sale” price NormaTec boots at the sucker’s   athletes’ village. They did not have the shorter boot, so I got the longer. Works fine as I can program how many zones on the boot to use. 1 less than max works like shorter booth, but I often use all zones and get higher on my hips.  I did not buy the carry case bc I thought it was too expensive for what it was and have just been using the big bag i got when I bought it. That said, it would be nice to have something a bit nicer, more compact. The normatec can run for 2 hours off a battery, so taking it when I do long rides for use right after would be more convenient with the carrier, but the bag isn’t that much of an issue.

Thanks for the feedback!

2019-06-30 9:38 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Have any Garmin 920XT owners been having trouble with auto-uploading (transferring of workouts)?  Mine usually works great over wi-fi but neither yesterday nor today did it work over wi-fi.  It pretended it did - Transfer Complete message showed in my watch but neither Strava nor TP got it on my phone.  Yesterday I had to hook it to the computer (gasp, what an archaic thing to do! ) and it uploaded but today it did not and I had to completely manually move the workouts to the desired apps. Grrrr.

Edited by melbo55 2019-06-30 9:45 AM
2019-06-30 9:57 AM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
My run didn't go from Garmin to Strava/BT/Final Surge automatically this morning either.
2019-06-30 9:58 AM
in reply to: #5260447

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
My run didn't go from Garmin to Strava/BT/Final Surge this morning either.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107