BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2012-05-08 12:57 PM
in reply to: #4197650

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD
reecealan - 2012-05-08 10:48 AM

Fractured clavicle, ortho later today or tomorrow morning.  KC Tri is out I suppose.  IMKS is in 4.5 weeks, I can swim with one arm if I have to.  All other injuries just bruises.  So I can bike and run after a while Smile

I will be asking ortho doc if I can swim with one arm just so you know.  I do not give up easily!

Ohhh noooo!  Sorry.  Hopefully you are a fast healer!

2012-05-08 1:02 PM

User image

Melon Presser
reecealan - 2012-05-09 1:48 AM

Fractured clavicle, ortho later today or tomorrow morning.  KC Tri is out I suppose.  IMKS is in 4.5 weeks, I can swim with one arm if I have to.  All other injuries just bruises.  So I can bike and run after a while Smile

I will be asking ortho doc if I can swim with one arm just so you know.  I do not give up easily!

NOOOOOO! Yowch yowch yowch ... you poor thing. Very gentle healing {{{MELON PRESS}}}

You are one serious HTFU rockstar.

Drop McFuzz a PM ... he broke his collarbone early on in IMCDA, knew it, and finished the race anyway.

2012-05-08 1:08 PM
in reply to: #4197671

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Asalzwed - 2012-05-08 12:55 PM
reecealan - 2012-05-08 12:48 PM

WHAT!?! Oh no!!! Sorry to hear about that! Well, at least you won't be side lined for too long. I imagine you can run soon. 

You are a total badazz for not playing up the injury more. I would have been complaining for days. Loudly. Huge props for the attitude. 

I am having a hard time imagining the doc clearing you to swim with one arm. But shoot, if he does please get video...and have a lifeguard on duty. 

Just give me a few days, the positive attitude will wear off as the missed swim workouts count off.  We do 1 arm drills during workouts, I'm probably right around a 2:00 per 100 swimmer with one arm, with a wetsuit even better!  But I'm pretty sure doc will say NFW!  I'm just praying I can do IMKS!  My swim will suck but it's still a fun race.  Oh and yeah, I've already paid $225 fricken bucks for it!  KC Tri I'm only out $60.  I got the VIP package so I can let me friend Pete enjoy that VIP parking right next to transition.  Wonder if I can switch to a relay?

This still sucks because I was hoping for a top 10 which would get me AG Elite status at Hy-Vee. Grrrrrr.

Riding in rain in a charity bike tour is stupid two weeks before a big race.  There, I said it!

2012-05-08 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4197731

User image

Seattle
reecealan - 2012-05-08 1:08 PM

WHAT!?! Oh no!!! Sorry to hear about that! Well, at least you won't be side lined for too long. I imagine you can run soon. 

You are a total badazz for not playing up the injury more. I would have been complaining for days. Loudly. Huge props for the attitude. 

I am having a hard time imagining the doc clearing you to swim with one arm. But shoot, if he does please get video...and have a lifeguard on duty. 

Just give me a few days, the positive attitude will wear off as the missed swim workouts count off.  We do 1 arm drills during workouts, I'm probably right around a 2:00 per 100 swimmer with one arm, with a wetsuit even better!  But I'm pretty sure doc will say NFW!  I'm just praying I can do IMKS!  My swim will suck but it's still a fun race.  Oh and yeah, I've already paid $225 fricken bucks for it!  KC Tri I'm only out $60.  I got the VIP package so I can let me friend Pete enjoy that VIP parking right next to transition.  Wonder if I can switch to a relay?

This still sucks because I was hoping for a top 10 which would get me AG Elite status at Hy-Vee. Grrrrrr.

Riding in rain in a charity bike tour is stupid two weeks before a big race.  There, I said it!

Yep...all those things are very valid. It sucks. 

BUUUUT remember what I said about controlling the controllables? Wink Be pissed for a minute but then regroup and go from there. 

2012-05-08 1:41 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Oh man, sorry to hear this.  Heal quickly!

2012-05-08 3:19 PM
in reply to: #4126290

User image

Elite

Seems you fell harder than you first thought, back stroke lots of kicking would also work!  I'm great at one armed swim drills too!

Is it a full IM you're doing - can't believe how cheap entry is $225!  I paid $866 for Melbourne!  I'm starting that race even if I'm dead!

Yesterday was a rest day - watched the finale of Australia Biggest Loser, love that show - though as usual fell alseep during it!

Today is a swim squad day - gotta love that!  Gonna jump up a lane see if I can keep up with those super fish.  Tomorrow - Im thinking of wagging work so I can get a long ride in....got to go to the LBS to sort out details for my purchase too...

Hope everyone is fine - lots of positive spiritual posts on here yesterday, lovely - I feel inspired and uplifted...

Have a good day everyone, I'll post my workout later

2012-05-08 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4198100

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
jobaxas - 2012-05-08 2:19 PM

Seems you fell harder than you first thought, back stroke lots of kicking would also work!  I'm great at one armed swim drills too!

Is it a full IM you're doing - can't believe how cheap entry is $225!  I paid $866 for Melbourne!  I'm starting that race even if I'm dead!

Yesterday was a rest day - watched the finale of Australia Biggest Loser, love that show - though as usual fell alseep during it!

Today is a swim squad day - gotta love that!  Gonna jump up a lane see if I can keep up with those super fish.  Tomorrow - Im thinking of wagging work so I can get a long ride in....got to go to the LBS to sort out details for my purchase too...

Hope everyone is fine - lots of positive spiritual posts on here yesterday, lovely - I feel inspired and uplifted...

Have a good day everyone, I'll post my workout later

I'm glad I'm  not the only one to take off of work for a training session! (I assume that's what "wagging work" means).  I did that last week so I could get most of my training in before my road trip.

Reece, sorry to hear about your prognosis.  Prayers for quick/healthy healing.

2012-05-08 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4196607

User image

Master
Central Kansas

cdban66 - 2012-05-08 7:07 AM Good day everyone, I am requesting permission to ramble a bit this morning. I had read a bunch about IMSG yesterday, and the experiences of those involved. It is an opportunity to learn a bit about the mental aspect, which is so important. Wow, what a great community BT is, when people that are so good at these races are ready and willing to help those of us that are starting out, or struggling to get better. So a bunch of that was in my head on my ride home yesterday, which was another wind facing suckfest. But, with all the reading I had done before leaving, I focused on adjusting my thinking, and rather than dwell on the wind, I decided to stay low and go. I was on the drops throughout the ride. Eureka, it does matter! Then there is this morning's run. I have 2 different types of runs. Those that are "training" runs, where thoughts of form, cadence, speed, times and breathing fill my head. These are the fartleks, the more intense runs, and the long runs. And then there are the mind freeing runs. The runs where I head out knowing it will be a slow one with just enough effort to get me home. And my thoughts are all over the place. That was today. I spoke with God, and prayed for many people. People who were affected by the recent tornadoes in Kansas, like Felicia and Lisa C. People who are going through medical situations, like my mom and Bellinghamspence. People who have faced family adversity like Triathlynne. Those who are sick, like Yanti and Kate, Reece with your crash, and so many others that are here. And I though of the joy of running with loved ones like our very own Adrienne did this weekend. And the happiness and joy that life has for each of us if we are willing to find it. And then I was home. And my day was starting out just right. My head was centered and I could head off and face whatever the day has for me. Thank you all for allowing me to be me, for motivating me to get better, for supporting me in my self improvement journey and for being the wonderful group that you are! I'm done rambling now. Every morning you are faced with a blank canvas. Do your best to end the day with a beautiful painting.

Thank you for the kind words, thoughts, and prayers, Chris. BT is a very special group of people.

2012-05-08 4:38 PM
in reply to: #4196786

User image

Master
Central Kansas
reecealan - 2012-05-08 8:40 AM

cdban66 - 2012-05-08 7:07 AM Good day everyone, I am requesting permission to ramble a bit this morning. I had read a bunch about IMSG yesterday, and the experiences of those involved. It is an opportunity to learn a bit about the mental aspect, which is so important. Wow, what a great community BT is, when people that are so good at these races are ready and willing to help those of us that are starting out, or struggling to get better. So a bunch of that was in my head on my ride home yesterday, which was another wind facing suckfest. But, with all the reading I had done before leaving, I focused on adjusting my thinking, and rather than dwell on the wind, I decided to stay low and go. I was on the drops throughout the ride. Eureka, it does matter! Then there is this morning's run. I have 2 different types of runs. Those that are "training" runs, where thoughts of form, cadence, speed, times and breathing fill my head. These are the fartleks, the more intense runs, and the long runs. And then there are the mind freeing runs. The runs where I head out knowing it will be a slow one with just enough effort to get me home. And my thoughts are all over the place. That was today. I spoke with God, and prayed for many people. People who were affected by the recent tornadoes in Kansas, like Felicia and Lisa C. People who are going through medical situations, like my mom and Bellinghamspence. People who have faced family adversity like Triathlynne. Those who are sick, like Yanti and Kate, Reece with your crash, and so many others that are here. And I though of the joy of running with loved ones like our very own Adrienne did this weekend. And the happiness and joy that life has for each of us if we are willing to find it. And then I was home. And my day was starting out just right. My head was centered and I could head off and face whatever the day has for me. Thank you all for allowing me to be me, for motivating me to get better, for supporting me in my self improvement journey and for being the wonderful group that you are! I'm done rambling now. Every morning you are faced with a blank canvas. Do your best to end the day with a beautiful painting.

Nice Ramble Chris!  Agree 100%, some really great people here on BT, I hope someday to meet all or at least some of the Mad Manatees!  Thanks for sharing and your kind thoughts.

I was reading some of that IMSG dialogue also, good points about the wind as we Kansans just have to deal with it.  You just have to embrace it and make yourself as small as possible.  I just write it off as good hill training.Tongue out

I was thinking about that discussion on my ride this afternoon -- and the wind wasn't even horrible. It just gets to the point where I think, "Really? Wind AGAIN????" But complaining or moaning about it is just wasted energy. I just ride to get to those tree rows and find joy in that short recovery. What did Bryan say? Something like racing in the moment, not even 10 minutes from now, but now?

2012-05-08 4:41 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Oh, no! I think you could do it with one arm. I was thinking of that during my one arm drills the other day, "Wow. If for some reason, I lost the use of one arm, I could totally do this."

Please take care. Can you lay out of work for a couple days?

2012-05-08 4:44 PM
in reply to: #4197671

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Reece is amazingly impressive that way. His bike was stolen a few months ago, and I never heard one hint of complaint. He was just "Well, that kind of sucks." He totally flows with whatever life hands out to him -- from what I've seen. I love that attitude.

It goes back to what you were saying earlier, Adrienne -- we can only control what we can. The rest of it, we just have to let go.

2012-05-08 4:55 PM
in reply to: #4198313

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
KansasMom - 2012-05-08 4:41 PM

Oh, no! I think you could do it with one arm. I was thinking of that during my one arm drills the other day, "Wow. If for some reason, I lost the use of one arm, I could totally do this."

Please take care. Can you lay out of work for a couple days?

No problem there.  I can do a lot from home.  I have a good team that can pretty much take care of themselves.  My favorite saying to my boss (who's great BTW) is "my job as a manager is to eliminate myself" meaning that my team shoujld be able to fully function without me.  Of course her answer is always something like "you need to set the direction, blah blah blah".

2012-05-08 5:01 PM
in reply to: #4198315

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
KansasMom - 2012-05-08 4:44 PM

Reece is amazingly impressive that way. His bike was stolen a few months ago, and I never heard one hint of complaint. He was just "Well, that kind of sucks." He totally flows with whatever life hands out to him -- from what I've seen. I love that attitude.

It goes back to what you were saying earlier, Adrienne -- we can only control what we can. The rest of it, we just have to let go.

Actually not stolen, it fell off of a bike rack, we have no idea where.  It was an hours drive or so.  I had known the driver for about a month who had just moved here from FL and was in our masters swim group.  I let him mount the bike and wasn't paying attention.  We kind of all chalked it up as Sh-- happens.  Luckily it was only about a $1000 investment at the time.  We're good friends now, he gives me running tips from time to time, he ran the same 5K I did Saturday in 16:11, yeah that's a 5:13 pace.  I give him biking tips, EXCEPT for riding in the RAIN!

2012-05-08 5:08 PM
in reply to: #4198359

User image

Seattle
reecealan - 2012-05-08 5:01 PM

Actually not stolen, it fell off of a bike rack, we have no idea where.  It was an hours drive or so.  I had known the driver for about a month who had just moved here from FL and was in our masters swim group.  I let him mount the bike and wasn't paying attention.  We kind of all chalked it up as Sh-- happens.  Luckily it was only about a $1000 investment at the time.  We're good friends now, he gives me running tips from time to time, he ran the same 5K I did Saturday in 16:11, yeah that's a 5:13 pace.  I give him biking tips, EXCEPT for riding in the RAIN!

$1,000 investment, that is 4 of my lil' dime-store-diamond bikes!

2012-05-09 7:24 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
reecealan - 2012-05-08 1:48 PM

Oh no!  I was hoping that it was more road rash and bruises and thinking nothing broken thoughts.  Poo.

Super speedy bone healing zen heading your way.

2012-05-09 8:48 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Heart-rending day for me.

Beloved friend and BTer passed away.

He was a really tough cookie and thought the same of me, but both of us would call each other in our weakest moments. Not something we let a lot of people see.

I feel horrendous.

Nevertheless, the last time a bunch of BTers were mooning over him (he had many surgeries and health issues, that time it did not look like he would pull through), he came on and posted:

"Do I have to come in here and start kicking people's a$$e$?  Change to fart jokes, please.  Everyone loves a fart joke.  

As you were."

I love you forever, John. You can finally let go and not take care of everybody all the time now.

Puts my day in a whole new perspective.

It seemed like not very good news on my health front, but now, it's AWESOME news.

After 10 days of eating well, iron-rich foods, lots of rest, my blood values are marginally better. But they are definitely moving in the correct direction. So that's good.

I basically have three options.

There are no more antibiotics for me to take except ones I'm allergic to. There are ways to take them, but it's risky and involves hospitalization in another country. In any case, I'm not quite strong enough yet to go through that, unless I also have blood transfusions. All of this gets very, very expensive.

I could get bombarded with antibiotics here that my typhoid strain is moderately susceptible to. Risk there is that a resistant superstrain develops, plus my body's beat down. I don't think it would handle a ton of ab for a long time well.

I can take a slow and uncertain road of healing myself with naturopathic treatments, biofeedback, and very careful nutrition. Will continue to be closely medically monitored. Would know within a few weeks if this is a viable path or not.

After a lot of prayer, thought, consultation with medical professionals and friends, I'm going with option 3 for now. Even some of the diehard medical folk (including myself, frankly, having been a hardnose research scientist with a fair bit of medical experience under my belt) are suggesting it.

The other good news is that we've found that the Hobbit Maid is a typhoid carrier but also has active typhoid in her system, so she is being treated as well. We are neighbors, so it's impossible to tell who might have given it to whom (or not at all, since we share a water supply and could have gotten it from there or another common environmental source). Additionally, I've had more than one kind of strain. My sister's strain is not related to ours or any other I've had.

2012-05-09 9:05 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina
Wow healing thoughts and prayers out to all the wounded manatees. Get better soon!!Quick update from the iPhone so excuse the format. Up in DC and got to spend a couple of days with my folks and siblings which is always good. Haven't done anything since Monday except carbo load... All you can eat pasta night monday and a pizzeria where I was able to get a "Beer Float" think root beer float for adults AWESOME!! Although my may challenge goal hit a bump in the weight department I think I'll get it worked off this weekend. Heading to Richmond today to start the Tour on Thursday. Richmond to Chalottesville for 95 miles then to Warrenton for 85 on Friday and into DC on Saturday. Have a good day all!
2012-05-09 9:06 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina
Yanti I'm sorry for your loss.
2012-05-09 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4199412

User image

Melon Presser

Tripopo - 2012-05-09 10:05 PM Wow healing thoughts and prayers out to all the wounded manatees. Get better soon!!Quick update from the iPhone so excuse the format. Up in DC and got to spend a couple of days with my folks and siblings which is always good. Haven't done anything since Monday except carbo load... All you can eat pasta night monday and a pizzeria where I was able to get a "Beer Float" think root beer float for adults AWESOME!! Although my may challenge goal hit a bump in the weight department I think I'll get it worked off this weekend. Heading to Richmond today to start the Tour on Thursday. Richmond to Chalottesville for 95 miles then to Warrenton for 85 on Friday and into DC on Saturday. Have a good day all!

Beer and ice cream? I'm trying to wrap my head around that ...

Have an amazing time at the Unity Tour, I shall be thinking of all who gave the ultimate sacrifice, and those of you who continue to serve every day. Thank you!

2012-05-09 9:10 AM
in reply to: #4199347

User image

Master
Central Kansas

I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend, Yanti.

Healthwise, it sounds like you are moving in the right direction. I like the option you have chosen.

2012-05-09 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4198359

User image

Master
Central Kansas
reecealan - 2012-05-08 5:01 PM

Oops, sorry for the misinformation. But still, I was (and am still) impressed with your response. You just took it in stride.

Did you ever find it (or pieces of it)?

2012-05-09 9:13 AM
in reply to: #4199412

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Tripopo - 2012-05-09 9:05 AM Wow healing thoughts and prayers out to all the wounded manatees. Get better soon!!Quick update from the iPhone so excuse the format. Up in DC and got to spend a couple of days with my folks and siblings which is always good. Haven't done anything since Monday except carbo load... All you can eat pasta night monday and a pizzeria where I was able to get a "Beer Float" think root beer float for adults AWESOME!! Although my may challenge goal hit a bump in the weight department I think I'll get it worked off this weekend. Heading to Richmond today to start the Tour on Thursday. Richmond to Chalottesville for 95 miles then to Warrenton for 85 on Friday and into DC on Saturday. Have a good day all!

Sounds like a fantastic ride. I lived in the DC area for about nine years (first in Falls Church and then in Manassas). It's going to be a beautiful ride for you. I hope the weather cooperates.

2012-05-09 9:19 AM
in reply to: #4199433

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
TriAya - 2012-05-09 10:08 AM

Tripopo - 2012-05-09 10:05 PM Wow healing thoughts and prayers out to all the wounded manatees. Get better soon!!Quick update from the iPhone so excuse the format. Up in DC and got to spend a couple of days with my folks and siblings which is always good. Haven't done anything since Monday except carbo load... All you can eat pasta night monday and a pizzeria where I was able to get a "Beer Float" think root beer float for adults AWESOME!! Although my may challenge goal hit a bump in the weight department I think I'll get it worked off this weekend. Heading to Richmond today to start the Tour on Thursday. Richmond to Chalottesville for 95 miles then to Warrenton for 85 on Friday and into DC on Saturday. Have a good day all!

Think really dark bear.  I've had a Guinness float and it works!

2012-05-09 9:20 AM
in reply to: #4199347

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
TriAya - 2012-05-09 9:48 AM

Heart-rending day for me.

Beloved friend and BTer passed away.

He was a really tough cookie and thought the same of me, but both of us would call each other in our weakest moments. Not something we let a lot of people see.

I feel horrendous.

I'm sorry for your loss.  Truly truly sorry.  {{hugs}}

2012-05-09 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4199479

User image

Coastal Carolina
jmkizer - 2012-05-09 10:19 AM
TriAya - 2012-05-09 10:08 AM

Think really dark bear.  I've had a Guinness float and it works!

Yes porters and stouts make it great!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  

of 81