BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2011-03-21 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3406864

User image

Longview, Texas
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED
Corncub - 2011-03-21 12:45 PM

Thanks guys. The link to my race report didnt work. If anyones interested, its in my race reports.

Have a great week everyone.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=245469

this one shoud work,

Congratulations on your race...

2011-03-21 5:13 PM
in reply to: #3406467

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Corncub - 2011-03-21 7:10 AM

Hiya McFuzzies,

I'm fly'n high this morning... had a fantastic race yesterday. I went in unsure of myself due to last two long training runs being less then satisfactory but the race went perfect. I felt good and steady, did it in 2:24 which is just under an 11:00min pace. Thats includes one stop because I thought I had a pebble in my sneaker which turned out to be a nasty blister on the ball of my foot, ouch...I'm going to post a race report today and will post a link when I do. SO HAPPY!! YEA YEA YEA RUNNING!

PS. The asmazing thing is I dont hardly feel sore at all today, unlike after EVERY training run. I think it is because I was having so much fun during the race.  Its FASCINATING how psychological running is!

also, CONGRATS MIKE, YOU ROCKED IT!!!

Race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=245469

That's very cool!

2011-03-21 8:35 PM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Del Rio, TX

McFuzz - Awesome race this weekend!  It's always nice to go in with a hopeful time and just destroy it!!! : )  Great job!

Corncob - You had a great race too!  And you're not sore which makes you 'bi-winning' ; )  Awesome job!

2011-03-21 8:45 PM
in reply to: #3400749

Veteran
McFuzz - 2011-03-16 3:52 PM
ingleshteechur - 2011-03-16 7:40 AM

Anyone racing this weekend?

Me!  Me!!  Pick me!!  Not on my calendar, but going to do a half-marathon on Sunday.  If I can duplicate last Sunday's run, I'll PR my HM distance by about 7 minutes. 

***** HOLY COW, MIKE YOUR FINAL RACE TIME WAS AWESOME!!! *****Laughing

2011-03-21 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3406279

Veteran
ingleshteechur - 2011-03-21 8:20 AM

Happy Monday McFuzzies!  Wishing you all a great training week, recovery week, back-to-business week, or healing week-it seems all of us need one of the above!

Quarter 3 of school ends on Friday...cannot believe how fast this year is going.  Two more weeks until Spring Break!!!

I think I need a spring break Tongue out

2011-03-21 8:52 PM
in reply to: #3405825

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN

stephsprint - 2011-03-20 6:07 PM Ree … some shop ruined your aero bars and YOU had to buy new ones?… hmmmm

LBS ruined the bars because I told them to cut the bars down to fit her while we were there for the fitting.  They were like 4 inches too long so the were no good the way they were.  When they took the bar end shifters out, and cut down the bars, the inside diameter was different in the middle of the bar than it was at then ends, so the shifters would not go back in.  Not really their fault, was gonna have to buy new ones anyways, so no huge loss (got a used set in the correct size for $50)

I will tell you this, sure made me sweat when I was cutting my Zipp aero bars down the next day, that's for sure.  Lucky it all worked out fine on my bike.

2011-03-21 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3406467

Veteran
Corncub - 2011-03-21 10:10 AM

Hiya McFuzzies,

I'm fly'n high this morning... had a fantastic race yesterday. I went in unsure of myself due to last two long training runs being less then satisfactory but the race went perfect. I felt good and steady, did it in 2:24 which is just under an 11:00min pace. Thats includes one stop because I thought I had a pebble in my sneaker which turned out to be a nasty blister on the ball of my foot, ouch...I'm going to post a race report today and will post a link when I do. SO HAPPY!! YEA YEA YEA RUNNING!

PS. The asmazing thing is I dont hardly feel sore at all today, unlike after EVERY training run. I think it is because I was having so much fun during the race.  Its FASCINATING how psychological running is!

also, CONGRATS MIKE, YOU ROCKED IT!!!

Race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=245469

Awesome job!! - Glad you felt good during the race.  Laughing
2011-03-21 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3407835

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
discipleguideservice - 2011-03-21 9:52 PM

stephsprint - 2011-03-20 6:07 PM Ree … some shop ruined your aero bars and YOU had to buy new ones?… hmmmm

LBS ruined the bars because I told them to cut the bars down to fit her while we were there for the fitting.  They were like 4 inches too long so the were no good the way they were.  When they took the bar end shifters out, and cut down the bars, the inside diameter was different in the middle of the bar than it was at then ends, so the shifters would not go back in.  Not really their fault, was gonna have to buy new ones anyways, so no huge loss (got a used set in the correct size for $50)

I will tell you this, sure made me sweat when I was cutting my Zipp aero bars down the next day, that's for sure.  Lucky it all worked out fine on my bike.

That would be nerve-wracking! Sounds like it's all good now though!
2011-03-21 8:58 PM
in reply to: #3407807

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
sjhodgson - 2011-03-21 9:35 PM

McFuzz - Awesome race this weekend!  It's always nice to go in with a hopeful time and just destroy it!!! : )  Great job!

Corncob - You had a great race too!  And you're not sore which makes you 'bi-winning' ; )  Awesome job!

x2 on no sore butt!
2011-03-21 9:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY

Iceman, or someone had a link to a site with good pool workouts... would you mind reposting? High time I stop neglecting the pool.

I'm not sore which is like, weird...but I am limping around from this GIANT blister.

THANK YOU WONDERFUL McFUZZIES for all your kind words of support!!!

2011-03-22 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3407891

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Corncub - 2011-03-21 9:33 PM

Iceman, or someone had a link to a site with good pool workouts... would you mind reposting? High time I stop neglecting the pool.

I'm not sore which is like, weird...but I am limping around from this GIANT blister.

I am not sure if this is the one you are thinking of, but I use it all the time and is the best site that I have found. 

http://www.swimplan.com/

Hope your blister gets better!

2011-03-22 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

McFuzz & corncub - Congrats on your races!  You both did awesome!

Last week went pretty well for me.  I did miss one swim and my long run was cut short but otherwise I did all my planned workouts.  The long run got cut because I spent most Sunday volunteering at a trail half marathon.  It was a great experience (I love volunteering at racesSmile, especially ones I want to do myself).  I'm about 95% convinced that I'm going to try this race next year even though I've never run trails.  It's something I'd like to try and having a goal trail race might be just what I need to start.  The parks department does a trail series every fall so I'll probably do a couple of those also. 

I started back with the strength training last night (we'll see how long it lasts this timeEmbarassed).  There's really no reason for me not to do it.  We have a weight bench and some light weights and other stuff in the basement, it's just not something I really enjoy doing so I have to force myself into it. 

I hope everyone has a great week!

2011-03-22 1:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

A good quick explanation of HR zones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mSRDt5XDCg&feature=player_embedded#at=163

2011-03-22 2:15 PM

User image

Del Rio, TX

OK, so on my first week back after being lazy for a couple weeks I have completed a 50min. run which was pretty horrible feeling.  After the first 20min. I started to feel so heavy and my joints/hips felt a bit stiff.  I stretched pretty good when I got home and about an hour after the run I felt great.  So today I had my first brick after no workouts for awhile and did a 60min. bike and 30min. swim.  The bike was fine but getting back in the pool was very intimidating (almost didn't even go).  But I went anyway and worked my way through a very slow swim workout.  Dissapointed that my swimming has suffered so much in just a few weeks of not doing it.  Good lesson learned I guess.  Anyway, enough of the negative because on the up side I'm back and I've completed some good workouts.  On to the rest of the week.

Hope everyone else is having a successful week as well!

2011-03-22 6:57 PM

Veteran

**** McFuzzies ****

Help, my somethin'er other hurts, and I'm not happy about it! Yell

I don't know what it's called, but it's the muscle in my right calf area. (In the back) I noticed it yesterday after my bike ride.  It acted up a bit tonight during my swim. 

My concern is I have a decent run tomorrow, and I'm not sure how it will feel after that.  I think I'm just gonna take some ibuprofen before I run and hope for the best.  What do you think?

2011-03-22 7:09 PM
in reply to: #3409395

User image

Master
Orlando
Ree - 2011-03-22 6:57 PM

**** McFuzzies ****

I don't know what it's called, but it's the muscle in my right calf area. (In the back) I noticed it yesterday after my bike ride.  It acted up a bit tonight during my swim. 

My concern is I have a decent run tomorrow, and I'm not sure how it will feel after that.  I think I'm just gonna take some ibuprofen before I run and hope for the best.  What do you think?

Other than saying it's your calf muscle, I'm not sure what could be hurting!  I am one who tends to run through discomfort, but you must be careful that you are not injured and risk further injury.  Generally, if you have to take pain relievers to get through a workout, you probably shouldn't do the workout.  Also, be careful taking ibuprofen before any hard workout as it can interfere with your kidneys' function.  Ibuprofen is processed through the kidneys which are already working hard during a long run and when you get dehydrated they work even harder.  Adding ibuprofen can damage your kidneys.  This is one of the reasons marathons that provide a pain reliever on the course provides tylenol.

Heal quickly,

Ann-Marie

2011-03-22 9:27 PM
in reply to: #3408200

User image

New user
USA
robingray_260 - 2011-03-22 7:37 AM
Corncub - 2011-03-21 9:33 PM

I am not sure if this is the one you are thinking of, but I use it all the time and is the best site that I have found. 

http://www.swimplan.com/

Hope your blister gets better!

Awesome site thanks for sharing...I hope all is going well with you. Smile

2011-03-22 9:29 PM
in reply to: #3408573

User image

New user
USA
soccermom15 - 2011-03-22 10:28 AM

McFuzz & corncub - Congrats on your races!  You both did awesome!

Last week went pretty well for me.  I did miss one swim and my long run was cut short but otherwise I did all my planned workouts.  The long run got cut because I spent most Sunday volunteering at a trail half marathon.  It was a great experience (I love volunteering at racesSmile, especially ones I want to do myself).  I'm about 95% convinced that I'm going to try this race next year even though I've never run trails.  It's something I'd like to try and having a goal trail race might be just what I need to start.  The parks department does a trail series every fall so I'll probably do a couple of those also. 

I started back with the strength training last night (we'll see how long it lasts this timeEmbarassed).  There's really no reason for me not to do it.  We have a weight bench and some light weights and other stuff in the basement, it's just not something I really enjoy doing so I have to force myself into it. 

I hope everyone has a great week!

May you hang steady with the strength training, it will be icing on the cake so to speak, keep up the good work. Smile
2011-03-22 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3409423

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
amd723 - 2011-03-22 7:09 PM
Ree - 2011-03-22 6:57 PM

**** McFuzzies ****

Other than saying it's your calf muscle, I'm not sure what could be hurting!  I am one who tends to run through discomfort, but you must be careful that you are not injured and risk further injury.  Generally, if you have to take pain relievers to get through a workout, you probably shouldn't do the workout.  Also, be careful taking ibuprofen before any hard workout as it can interfere with your kidneys' function.  Ibuprofen is processed through the kidneys which are already working hard during a long run and when you get dehydrated they work even harder.  Adding ibuprofen can damage your kidneys.  This is one of the reasons marathons that provide a pain reliever on the course provides tylenol.

Heal quickly,

Ann-Marie

Gastrocnemius is the muscle in the large part of your calf.  Solieus runs along the bottom-edge.  (Thank you wikipedia.)  If you've had muscle cramps, the soreness may be a result of the cramp.  Seems as though calves are some of the first to cramp.  You might try increasing potassium rich foods (banana, raisins) to minimize cramping and the discomfort.  (Could be electrolyte loss with the suddenly warm temps this week.

I've highlighted part of Ann-Marie's response.  Ibuprofen can cause problems with your kidneys.  Acetaminophen (Tylenol) can cause problems with your liver.  There are studies concluding neither is good for endurance athletes during a hard exertion.  Oh...yea...stay away from the Naproxen (Aleve) as well...

2011-03-22 9:32 PM

User image

New user
USA
Ree - 2011-03-22 5:57 PM

**** McFuzzies ****

Ree I hope your somethin'er other heals soon. Cry
2011-03-22 9:34 PM

User image

New user
USA

Hello team,

am less than a week away from marathon. It is going to be a beautiful experience. I enjoy being surrounded by people who know they are Champions. The Champions who know it press past, failure, fear, doubt, obstacles, and anxiety to realize their dreams. They put in the painful hours, the hard work and they forgo instant gratification in order to experience ultimate satisfaction.

Then of course there are the Champions that haven't realized it yet. They are too afraid to fail, they are still controlled by emotions and notions, that tell them that they cannot do it. They cling to excuses and settle for less, unaware of all the greatness that wants to erupt from within. My prayer ,for those who do not know that they are Champions, is that they will open up their eyes before the time meter on life expires. May they share all of their greatness with the rest of us. My prayer for those who know they are Champions is that they will continue to improve, discover and become.

Life really is like a marathon, we each have our own race to run. Our own challenges to overcome. We have to discover what techniques work best and which do not. Some will finish the race, others will drop out, some will stand on the sideline cheering and others will simply dream about it and never get started.

Run your own race people, never give up on your dreams,and don't let anyone snatch your hope. You will always be a Champion whether you realize it or not.

.....Realize it!

2011-03-23 6:25 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Ree - 2011-03-22 7:57 PM

**** McFuzzies ****

Foam roller! The calves are tough to roll, but runnersworld.com has some good videos of how to do it. I have the worlds largest, tightest calves... I get that ache on the outside of my right calf when I do a lot of running tired. I tend to clomp a bit on the outside of my right foot... running too heavy.
2011-03-23 6:29 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Received my wetsuit yesterday. I got into it, and I got out of it. I can't imagine going through that soaking wet and tired though. It is one thing I can practice with a sore foot though!

Any tips? I look like a gingerbread person in it, btw. not pretty.
2011-03-23 6:46 AM
in reply to: #3409912

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

stephsprint - 2011-03-23 6:29 AM Received my wetsuit yesterday. I got into it, and I got out of it. I can't imagine going through that soaking wet and tired though. It is one thing I can practice with a sore foot though! Any tips? I look like a gingerbread person in it, btw. not pretty.

The wetsuit is easier to put on and take off when you are wet! 

For me, wiggling into the wetsuit is my pre-race "warm-up" 

2011-03-23 6:58 AM
in reply to: #3409933

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
McFuzz - 2011-03-23 6:46 AM

stephsprint - 2011-03-23 6:29 AM Received my wetsuit yesterday. I got into it, and I got out of it. I can't imagine going through that soaking wet and tired though. It is one thing I can practice with a sore foot though! Any tips? I look like a gingerbread person in it, btw. not pretty.

The wetsuit is easier to put on and take off when you are wet! 

For me, wiggling into the wetsuit is my pre-race "warm-up" 

Being wet helps.  Also using Body Glide on places where it is especially tight like wrists and legs helps quite a bit.  Hate them, love them.  Thinking about getting a sleeveless because I hate the arms so much.  Also, I get so hot in mine with sleeves.  Overheating in the water with no way to vent is not a happy time. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106