BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2012-05-11 9:35 PM
in reply to: #4205743

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD
jmkizer - 2012-05-11 9:08 PM

Asalzwed - 2012-05-11 6:18 PM Janyne, aren't you doing a big swim this weekend as well? 

It's a training swim.  I did it last year and hope to improve -- even if it's more of an "I feel better out there" than anything else. Goodness knows that I'm not a race swimmer!  Tongue out

Have fun and good luck!

2012-05-11 9:43 PM
in reply to: #4205743

User image

Elite
jmkizer - 2012-05-11 9:08 PM

Asalzwed - 2012-05-11 6:18 PM Janyne, aren't you doing a big swim this weekend as well? 

It's a training swim.  I did it last year and hope to improve -- even if it's more of an "I feel better out there" than anything else. Goodness knows that I'm not a race swimmer!  Tongue out

I did two of these in the summer, a 1.5km and a 1.3km i think - and I absolutely loved it - signing up for them both next year except the 1.3km will be the 3km full distance  Woohoo!

2012-05-12 1:24 AM
in reply to: #4196607

User image

England

cdban66 - 2012-05-08 1:07 PM Good day everyone, I am requesting permission to ramble a bit this morning. I had read a bunch about IMSG yesterday, and the experiences of those involved. It is an opportunity to learn a bit about the mental aspect, which is so important. Wow, what a great community BT is, when people that are so good at these races are ready and willing to help those of us that are starting out, or struggling to get better. So a bunch of that was in my head on my ride home yesterday, which was another wind facing suckfest. But, with all the reading I had done before leaving, I focused on adjusting my thinking, and rather than dwell on the wind, I decided to stay low and go. I was on the drops throughout the ride. Eureka, it does matter! Then there is this morning's run. I have 2 different types of runs. Those that are "training" runs, where thoughts of form, cadence, speed, times and breathing fill my head. These are the fartleks, the more intense runs, and the long runs. And then there are the mind freeing runs. The runs where I head out knowing it will be a slow one with just enough effort to get me home. And my thoughts are all over the place. That was today. I spoke with God, and prayed for many people. People who were affected by the recent tornadoes in Kansas, like Felicia and Lisa C. People who are going through medical situations, like my mom and Bellinghamspence. People who have faced family adversity like Triathlynne. Those who are sick, like Yanti and Kate, Reece with your crash, and so many others that are here. And I though of the joy of running with loved ones like our very own Adrienne did this weekend. And the happiness and joy that life has for each of us if we are willing to find it. And then I was home. And my day was starting out just right. My head was centered and I could head off and face whatever the day has for me. Thank you all for allowing me to be me, for motivating me to get better, for supporting me in my self improvement journey and for being the wonderful group that you are! I'm done rambling now. Every morning you are faced with a blank canvas. Do your best to end the day with a beautiful painting.

beautiful words. inspiring

2012-05-12 1:41 AM
in reply to: #4126290

User image

England

sorry i have been AWOL. Busy work week and a wife on the wrong shift. I Am trying to catch up but you guys seem to be typing faster than i can read.

Beautiful Saturday morning here in the UK for a change. Clear blue skies and a day off. wonderful.

Time to take my early morning run with the dog.

Hope you all wake up to good weather and time to enjoy it.

2012-05-12 5:02 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina
About to start the last day, 50 miles today to the memorial. Yesterday was rolling hills with horses running along with us, made the 84 miles a bit easier. Happy weekend POD
2012-05-12 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4205939

User image

Melon Presser

Tripopo - 2012-05-12 6:02 PM About to start the last day, 50 miles today to the memorial. Yesterday was rolling hills with horses running along with us, made the 84 miles a bit easier. Happy weekend POD

How lovely! Even the horses knew you were doing a good thing. Hope you had a wonderful ride to day and I'm sure the memorial will be a beautiful remembrance of your fellows.

2012-05-12 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4205516

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
TriAya - 2012-05-11 6:41 PM

Asalzwed - 2012-05-12 6:18 AM Janyne, aren't you doing a big swim this weekend as well? 

Different animal!

Yep, she is tackling a one-mile open swim race.

I have come to the conclusion that Janyne is AWESOME!!!! She rides 100 milers for fun, then swims a mile the next week, for more fun/practice. And she has the time during all that to leave me inspires. Yes, Janyne rocks. And what is more impressive is that she is not alone in the POD. Kirk riding in the Unity tour is cool as well. Kirk, it must be both inspirational and heartbreaking to be so close to the cause that you are giving to. And all of the rest of you, giving so much to those around you while still trying to pursue something that you love. Wow, OK, I'll stop gushing now, although I did watch "The Vow" last night. As I have gotten a bit older I find something in all of those movies that reduce me to a sobbing blob of uselessness. OK, now I'm done!

I just checked the challenge sheet, man do I have to step it up. I'll see if I can get some of that knocked out during the next week.

I was running a few days ago, thinking about the amount of giving that I see, not just in my own community, but in the many communities that I am a member of. I believe that a life lived in service to others is a life well lived.

Enjoy the weekend and race well
2012-05-12 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4205939

User image

Seattle
Tripopo - 2012-05-12 5:02 AMAbout to start the last day, 50 miles today to the memorial. Yesterday was rolling hills with horses running along with us, made the 84 miles a bit easier. Happy weekend POD
so cool Kirk, you're my favorite police officer
2012-05-12 10:58 PM

User image

Elite

Happy Mother's Day to me.  Lots of 'delightful' gifts from my little Artemis...so cute (so unwearable!), out for breakfast, eggs, bacon mmmmmm two lattes, home to some chocolates.

Just spent about an hour and a half doing tire change practice, front and back, new tubes etc - took back wheel off and on about 5 times, still it's hit and miss, sometimes it slips back on the drop outs, other times not so much.  One more tube change to do on front and I am done!  Praying for no flats ever but at least I'm confident.

Anyone out there who hasn't done this - DO IT - clock on the Beginners tab below programs and find the tire change video - INVALUABLE.  I also have the cheat sheet from Yanti, laminated and in my saddle bag with spare tubes.  Now if I could only ride the darned bike we'd be laughing...

2012-05-12 11:06 PM
in reply to: #4206833

User image

Master
jobaxas - 2012-05-12 8:58 PM

Happy Mother's Day to me.  Lots of 'delightful' gifts from my little Artemis...so cute (so unwearable!), out for breakfast, eggs, bacon mmmmmm two lattes, home to some chocolates.

Just spent about an hour and a half doing tire change practice, front and back, new tubes etc - took back wheel off and on about 5 times, still it's hit and miss, sometimes it slips back on the drop outs, other times not so much.  One more tube change to do on front and I am done!  Praying for no flats ever but at least I'm confident.

Anyone out there who hasn't done this - DO IT - clock on the Beginners tab below programs and find the tire change video - INVALUABLE.  I also have the cheat sheet from Yanti, laminated and in my saddle bag with spare tubes.  Now if I could only ride the darned bike we'd be laughing...

What is this cheat sheet of which you speak?  Share please?

2012-05-12 11:50 PM
in reply to: #4206836

User image

Elite
bcraht - 2012-05-12 11:06 PM
jobaxas - 2012-05-12 8:58 PM

What is this cheat sheet of which you speak?  Share please?

Wasn't Yanti's after all but someone called Theresa, well whoever, it's really good....

http://issuu.com/trekbicycle/docs/trek_women_ride_guide/34

2012-05-13 12:13 AM
in reply to: #4206861

User image

Master
Awesome, thanks!
2012-05-13 3:55 AM

User image

Elite

I think I've mastered the changing of the tube!  I now need me some CO2 canisters, not pumping out on the road or in a race.  I actually had some fun, changed the front tire tube three times, the back once but took the back wheel on and off 4 times. 

I just did 45mins on the trainer - took every ounce of motivation to get on there today, just not feeling it!

Watched IM Melbourne again on TV - saw my inspiration and best friend 11 times finisher Nicki Davies, another friend Miriam Nielsen and a squad member Damian Breen who was the last official finisher in 16.57.  Aweomse stuff, got inspired all over again, can't wait til MARCH 2013!!!

Another big week ahead, 9 hours but with a few days off so some big rides and runs I think!  Oh well, I shall do what I can to get 9 hours in but at 3 weeks out from HIM I don't much care, I'm ready as I'll ever be!

Love you guys!!!!

2012-05-13 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4206861

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Good morning to those of us on this side of the world. I hope those of you on the other side of the world are still sleeping. Good afternoon to Allen.

I had a good run yesterday. I'm very pleased. I ended up with pretty high mileage (for me) last week -- 33 miles, so I need to pull back a little this week. My goal is a 5 mile medium run and a 7-8 mile long run with 3 mile short runs thrown in there.

I wasn't planning to run today, just cycle, but my legs are really not feeling bad at all -- just a little stiff upon waking. Now that I've been up and around for a while, they feel fine. My right SI Joint is complaining a little, and maybe that's a good enough reason to do some strength exercises for my hips and glutes and forgo the run until tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to hearing how the races/ride/swim turned out this weekend.

On our "date" last night at the local coffee shop, we ran into a Scottish man who was biking across the United States. I was so jealous. So, I tried to talk my husband into tackling the Bike Across Kansas ride next June, but he didn't think that sounded like much fun. I love the prairie. He hates it.

2012-05-13 12:55 PM
in reply to: #4207133

User image

Master
KansasMom - 2012-05-13 7:50 AM

Good morning to those of us on this side of the world. I hope those of you on the other side of the world are still sleeping. Good afternoon to Allen.

I had a good run yesterday. I'm very pleased. I ended up with pretty high mileage (for me) last week -- 33 miles, so I need to pull back a little this week. My goal is a 5 mile medium run and a 7-8 mile long run with 3 mile short runs thrown in there.

I wasn't planning to run today, just cycle, but my legs are really not feeling bad at all -- just a little stiff upon waking. Now that I've been up and around for a while, they feel fine. My right SI Joint is complaining a little, and maybe that's a good enough reason to do some strength exercises for my hips and glutes and forgo the run until tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to hearing how the races/ride/swim turned out this weekend.

On our "date" last night at the local coffee shop, we ran into a Scottish man who was biking across the United States. I was so jealous. So, I tried to talk my husband into tackling the Bike Across Kansas ride next June, but he didn't think that sounded like much fun. I love the prairie. He hates it.

Good morning.  I have thought about doing a ride across Canada--I think that would be so cool.  Hope you can convince your hubby!!  Good job on your running.

I had a good weekend of training--yesterday run then bike (was supposed to be a reverse tri, but couldn't fit the swim in).  This morning 14km run.  Has been beautiful and sunny for past few days here--we are being spoiled with an early summer.  Hopefully it sticks around.

I keep saying I am going to practice with tire changing and have yet to do so.  I think I am chicken...I need to just put it in my training log and make it happen like the rest of my training.

Hope everyone has a great mother's day! 

2012-05-13 1:01 PM

User image

Melon Presser

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY

to all our wonderful Manatee Moms.

2012-05-13 5:18 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Happy Mothers day Manatee Mommies!

One week post bike crash, I drank too much beer last night, ate some really healthy quesadillas between beers, boy I'm just livin' the dream knowing I don't need to get up early and work out!  OK, only partly true!  I got up early this morning to go cheer on a couple of friends at a local tri.  My friend got 3rd female overall while her dad did his first tri.

I'm trying not to eat as much as I can't burn anything off but I'm not making the healthiest of choices either.  It's a mixed bag, ate a PB&J sandwhich, followed by a big juicy orange, then a bowl of ice cream, doh!

Hope everyone's weekend has been great so far.

2012-05-13 7:28 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Happy Mothers Day Matantee Moms!

I am having a wonderful day! It started with my race. I'm  happy with how it went and will do a RR if the organizers ever get the results listed! Then I went out for donuts with my DH & sons.  After that we were off to some off-roading in the desert.  We just finished dinner at home and are headed out to see The Avengers after a while.

Hope you all are enjoying your days as well!

2012-05-13 10:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

Yanti - Lurker here.  Just wanted to drop by and thank you for some advise last year that paid off this year.  I beleive your recommendation was "if you don't have a realistic chance of doing a full ironman in 15 hours, your should not try".

I did St. George two weeks ago - my first Iron distance - and finished in 14:53.  I actually had a great shot at going unde 13 hours but the conditions this year were a bit difficult.  What I saw were a lot of upset individuals (DNF rate near 30%) who missed cut-off times in all 3 areas due to the 20+ winds; however, when I talked to many of them their plans were to basically finish each dicilpline with minimal margin for error.  I talked to one individual during the run who planned on breast stroking the entire swim and had planned on finishing the swim in 2:10.  Although he was still in the race when I talked to him, he had no timing chip (swimmers pulled had the option of continuing w/o official times).

Anyway - loved the support and advise when I was starting. 

Keep tri-ing all of ya!

2012-05-13 11:00 PM
in reply to: #4207612

User image

Master
Central Kansas
rrrunner - 2012-05-13 7:28 PM

I am having a wonderful day! It started with my race. I'm  happy with how it went and will do a RR if the organizers ever get the results listed! Then I went out for donuts with my DH & sons.  After that we were off to some off-roading in the desert.  We just finished dinner at home and are headed out to see The Avengers after a while.

Great job, TJ. I'm looking forward to the race report.

I enjoyed The Avengers. We re-watched Captain America tonight. I still haven't seen Ironman, The Hulk, or Thor, so I am way behind. lol

2012-05-14 6:57 AM
in reply to: #4207773

User image

Melon Presser
mackjenn - 2012-05-14 11:02 AM

Yanti - Lurker here.  Just wanted to drop by and thank you for some advise last year that paid off this year.  I beleive your recommendation was "if you don't have a realistic chance of doing a full ironman in 15 hours, your should not try".

I did St. George two weeks ago - my first Iron distance - and finished in 14:53.  I actually had a great shot at going unde 13 hours but the conditions this year were a bit difficult.  What I saw were a lot of upset individuals (DNF rate near 30%) who missed cut-off times in all 3 areas due to the 20+ winds; however, when I talked to many of them their plans were to basically finish each dicilpline with minimal margin for error.  I talked to one individual during the run who planned on breast stroking the entire swim and had planned on finishing the swim in 2:10.  Although he was still in the race when I talked to him, he had no timing chip (swimmers pulled had the option of continuing w/o official times).

Keep tri-ing all of ya!

CONGRATULATIONS, IRONMAN!!!!!

Wow, John, how wonderful to see you! I was just thinking about you the other day ... about how you were one of the "chattier" Manatees and what you'd been up to ... now you can see we've got a whole podfull of the likes of you

I am so beyond tremendously impressed with how well you did at St. George ... of all places and all days to become an Ironman. Talk about well-earned.

2012-05-14 7:00 AM
in reply to: #4207815

User image

Melon Presser
KansasMom - 2012-05-14 12:00 PM

Great job, TJ. I'm looking forward to the race report.

I enjoyed The Avengers. We re-watched Captain America tonight. I still haven't seen Ironman, The Hulk, or Thor, so I am way behind. lol

Oooh, movies!

I may know one of the actors or two from The Avengers

And Captain America is MomX3's cousin! (She's an active BTer). I have the DVD here ... I should watch it. Not like I've got a whole lot going on right now ...

2012-05-14 7:08 AM
in reply to: #4207773

User image

Master
Orlando
mackjenn - 2012-05-13 10:02 PM

Keep tri-ing all of ya!

Wow!  I heard about how difficult the conditions were this year; great job!

2012-05-14 7:09 AM
in reply to: #4207612

User image

Master
Orlando

Sounds like a perfect day! Congrats on the race (and everything else)

2012-05-14 7:52 AM
in reply to: #4205490

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

The swim went really well.  I was surprised.  I mean, I was still BOP but I had over a six minute -- almost seven minutes -- improvement over last year.  This is major for me and I feel like all of the swimming and lessons and stuff are paying off. 

In fact, becoming a MOP swimming is starting to seem like it might be realistic!  Woo hoo!

It was a big training weekend for me (swim + 4 hour bike on Saturday, bike + long run brick plus swim on Sunday) and I was away from the computer.  I'll be catching up on the Manatee Action this morning.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  

of 81