in reply to: #3316618

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-23 5:00 PM
dalessit - 2011-01-23 4:14 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-23 4:01 PM
dalessit - 2011-01-23 2:03 PM Oh and tbh on the bike if you can make it faster why not?  Obviously you have to put the time in but if I have to work a few watts less to get the same speed (or faster) why wouldn't I?

how do you know you're faster?

By timing myself on a flat course around here.

how are you able to capture what each of the following takes away from that time?  in time and watts.

1. Make sure I get the fastest tires available
2. Latex tubes
3. Chainring cover (making it out of plastic probably
4. Figuring out how to get rid of all round spacers, either by finding aero ones, or by getting bars that lift the pads and extensions up, the risers are more aero than the spacers.
5. Just picked up a Specialized virtue aero bottle, fits in the triangle right above the BB perfectly on the PX makes it a nice faring like the P4

Not as much worried about the individual pieces and how much they save but overall.  From reading I am fairly confident most of them are no brainers.  There is data out there (linked above) on the tires.  Chainring cover, more just for something to do, won't make much difference but should look cooler too :

The spacers/aerobar fix is something I am curious if it makes any kind of difference.  From everything I have read round != aero, so in theory the more round you can get rid of the more aero you should be, again easy to tell.  Same with water bottle, that's even the easiest to tell.  Doing a lap with and without. 

And FFS how come the Packers got this Jay Cutler and the Seahawks got the good one?

2011-01-23 4:11 PM
in reply to: #3316620

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2011-01-23 5:00 PM
dalessit - 2011-01-23 1:12 PM
SSMinnow - 2011-01-23 2:09 PM
dalessit - 2011-01-23 1:03 PM Oh and tbh on the bike if you can make it faster why not?  Obviously you have to put the time in but if I have to work a few watts less to get the same speed (or faster) why wouldn't I?

I'm teasing you silly, you just took 2 weeks off!  Of course do whatever you can to get faster.  The bike guy told Paul the best way to get faster was to drop 10lbs....

What's BT PIzza? or don't I want to know?

Pizza = sex  (used in COJ)
Pizza = food

Ahhhhh,  the man's in Mexico.....

So you're getting it delivered?Laughing
2011-01-23 4:24 PM
in reply to: #3316284

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
tdl1972 - 2011-01-23 11:32 AM HERE WE GO!!!
     <>
        <>
     <> 

Please let me take a moment to BARF!!!! I'm not a Jets fan but go JETS!!!!

Congrats Erica - very exciting!

On my own news front - I had a great run today.  Maybe my plan over the winter is actually paying off. I ran my fastest long run pace ever by a good 30-45 seconds.  My HR was higher than my usual runs but I feel like I need to challenge myself right now.  I've gotten to the point where I can chug along all day at a slow pace and be ok.  I feel like I proved that at Disney.

So this does bring me to a question for the group? Which comes first the chicken or the egg - Runs based on HR zones or runs based on pace?  Do I keep doing long runs at Z1/2 pace and eventually get faster by chipping away at the seconds or possibly not get faster at all.  Or do I push the pace and my HR teaching myself to run faster then expect my HR to drop at the faster pace once I get fitter.   I understand the philosphy of the long, slow training and teaching the body to work more efficiently during endurance distances but I feel like I need to teach myself and practice a faster pace if I want to get faster over the longer distances.  

I think for now I am going to practice pace first and see how my HR improves.
2011-01-23 5:14 PM
in reply to: #3316658

User image

Champion
marietta
sdalessio - 2011-01-23 5:24 PM

So this does bring me to a question for the group?

latex socks.
2011-01-23 5:23 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
sdalessio - 2011-01-23 5:24 PM
     <>
        <>
     <> 

On my own news front - I had a great run today.  Maybe my plan over the winter is actually paying off. I ran my fastest long run pace ever by a good 30-45 seconds.  My HR was higher than my usual runs but I feel like I need to challenge myself right now.  I've gotten to the point where I can chug along all day at a slow pace and be ok.  I feel like I proved that at Disney.

So this does bring me to a question for the group? Which comes first the chicken or the egg - Runs based on HR zones or runs based on pace?  Do I keep doing long runs at Z1/2 pace and eventually get faster by chipping away at the seconds or possibly not get faster at all.  Or do I push the pace and my HR teaching myself to run faster then expect my HR to drop at the faster pace once I get fitter.   I understand the philosphy of the long, slow training and teaching the body to work more efficiently during endurance distances but I feel like I need to teach myself and practice a faster pace if I want to get faster over the longer distances.  

i've been doing both.  and i think i'm getting a lot out of doing this.  different distances, different paces.  different conditions.  i've also left everything back at the office or home and just go run.

but what to do on race day?  i don't know yet.  its going to be pace or hr for sure, not naked.  pace worked really well at augusta. 

2011-01-23 5:26 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
sdalessio - 2011-01-23 4:24 PM
     <>
        <>
     <> 

First, AWESOME job on the run.  You know which side I land on.  You are now more of a seasoned runner so if it were me, I would be looking towards pace with an eye of HR.  It's the way I BQed.

Second, I am so frickin' happy we ate some BEAR!!!!!!! OMG, I always had a heart attack the last 5 minutes. I'll be watching the superbowl from a lanai in Kauai!

Third, I ate brocolli and chicken after my ride and now I'm full....no pizza today....saving it for tomorrow!!!

2011-01-23 5:39 PM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Chatham Ontario
Nice work on the long run Samatha

Well with pretty much a week off, work, and sore foot I made the most of this weekend. Weights in the morning before work. Then a spin in the afternoon when I got home. Worked this morning from home, then Spin then a couple hours off and an Easy 5km run in -2 degree F weather (but it was SUNNY) to see how the foot would hold up. Its still hurting a bit but I would say the pain didn't increase on the run by more then about 5% I could just feel it a tiny bit more on the run... So the foot is back to about 85-90%

Came home after the run and sat in the hot tub for about 15 mins a bit of Advil and Icing the foot all as precautions.

Thanks to a few that suggested and pushed me to consider some things. I am going to get up before work and do weights and see if I can get out for a 20-25 min run on my lunch hour if possible. Just happy the foot is coming around and the extra stretching seems to be helping.

I guess GREEN BAY is going to the super bowl.

IS it too late to cheer for San Fran...LOL

Edited by Techdiver 2011-01-23 5:40 PM
2011-01-23 5:42 PM
in reply to: #3316773

User image

Champion
Techdiver - 2011-01-23 5:39 PM Nice work on the long run Samatha

Well with pretty much a week off, work, and sore foot I made the most of this weekend. Weights in the morning before work. Then a spin in the afternoon when I got home. Worked this morning from home, then Spin then a couple hours off and an Easy 5km run in -2 degree F weather (but it was SUNNY) to see how the foot would hold up. Its still hurting a bit but I would say the pain didn't increase on the run by more then about 5% I could just feel it a tiny bit more on the run... So the foot is back to about 85-90%

Came home after the run and sat in the hot tub for about 15 mins a bit of Advil and Icing the foot all as precautions.

Thanks to a few that suggested and pushed me to consider some things. I am going to get up before work and do weights and see if I can get out for a 20-25 min run on my lunch hour if possible. Just happy the foot is coming around and the extra stretching seems to be helping.

I guess GREEN BAY is going to the super bowl.

IS it too late to cheer for San Fran...LOL

Hey Chris....I missed your foot issue, what's up?  if it is any tendonitis, don't heat it up after you work out as it creates more inflammation....only ice it....heat can be applied beforehand to loosen it up if necessary.

PS. No guessing..they ARE going.   I'm taking my cheesehead to HI.
2011-01-23 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3316781

User image

Chatham Ontario
Hey Suzy. Last Sat I did a 8 or 9 km run can't remember. It was really Snowy out here. I opted to put my old Motion control shoes on I started running with last year. They have about 200 miles on them, I think this was my first mistake. My second was focusing on stretching only LARGE muscle groups.

Anyways, on sunday my foot started to hurt the middle of my foot to be exact. I woke up it was ok about an hour later it hurt to walk on. Monday same thing so I sat around more at work on Monday and tuesday. Started doing more stretching and massaging, icing of my foot. Simlar though Felt great in the morning but sore as the day went on. By wed the pain/aching was reduced 50% Friday by 80% and I was on my feet for 11-12 hours at work on Thursday friday. I am not sure what really happened. My guess is I strained it. By yesterday and today I would say it was 90% or better. More of a Feel it is not perfect rather then it hurts. After the run today I could feel it just a bit more but not really pain or anything. A tiny light throb maybe... Just know it isn't perfect as in should not feel anything.

Open to input or ideas for sure.

*EDIT* I don't feel I require motion control shoes now. I was using the Brooks BEAST I now use the Asics 2160 I lot less shoe for me and it feels so much better.  I understand why I was put in the beast when I was 265 lbs. And all the icing etc is more precaution right now as I sit here then feeling I really need it.

Edited by Techdiver 2011-01-23 5:51 PM
2011-01-23 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3316798

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Techdiver - 2011-01-23 8:49 PM Hey Suzy. Last Sat I did a 8 or 9 km run can't remember. It was really Snowy out here. I opted to put my old Motion control shoes on I started running with last year. They have about 200 miles on them, I think this was my first mistake. My second was focusing on stretching only LARGE muscle groups.

Anyways, on sunday my foot started to hurt the middle of my foot to be exact. I woke up it was ok about an hour later it hurt to walk on. Monday same thing so I sat around more at work on Monday and tuesday. Started doing more stretching and massaging, icing of my foot. Simlar though Felt great in the morning but sore as the day went on. By wed the pain/aching was reduced 50% Friday by 80% and I was on my feet for 11-12 hours at work on Thursday friday. I am not sure what really happened. My guess is I strained it. By yesterday and today I would say it was 90% or better. More of a Feel it is not perfect rather then it hurts. After the run today I could feel it just a bit more but not really pain or anything. A tiny light throb maybe... Just know it isn't perfect as in should not feel anything.

Open to input or ideas for sure.

*EDIT* I don't feel I require motion control shoes now. I was using the Brooks BEAST I now use the Asics 2160 I lot less shoe for me and it feels so much better.  I understand why I was put in the beast when I was 265 lbs. And all the icing etc is more precaution right now as I sit here then feeling I really need it.

middle of your foot means on the top or on the bottom?

2011-01-23 6:06 PM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Chatham Ontario
Sorry on the bottom.  Guess I should provide a tiny bit more detail hey.

2011-01-23 6:22 PM
in reply to: #3316832

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Techdiver - 2011-01-23 9:06 PM Sorry on the bottom.  Guess I should provide a tiny bit more detail hey.

Give this a read.  It may help you sort out what is wrong.  Massaging the bottom of your foot (or rolling the muscles with a ball - tennis ball, rubber baseball, etc.) may do the trick.  It has worked for me in the past.   There are quite a few muscles anchoring on the bottom of the foot.   

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/self-muscle-massage-series/self-muscle-massage-pt-9-the-foot/ 

FYI: Leigh's also got great explanations for all of the muscles groups.   
2011-01-23 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3316854

User image

Champion
dcon - 2011-01-23 6:22 PM
Techdiver - 2011-01-23 9:06 PM Sorry on the bottom.  Guess I should provide a tiny bit more detail hey.

Give this a read.  It may help you sort out what is wrong.  Massaging the bottom of your foot (or rolling the muscles with a ball - tennis ball, rubber baseball, etc.) may do the trick.  It has worked for me in the past.   There are quite a few muscles anchoring on the bottom of the foot.   

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/self-muscle-massage-series/self-muscle-massage-pt-9-the-foot/ 

FYI: Leigh's also got great explanations for all of the muscles groups.   

Dan: This is an awesome link!  So many issues at the bottom of the foot stem from something further up the chain.  Thanks for sharing.

Spanky: The bottom of the foot is WAY TO GENERAL   If you're wearing motion control shoes, it could be overcontrolling natural pronation which puts extra stress on the peronneals (side of the calf).
2011-01-23 7:01 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
sdalessio - 2011-01-23 4:24 PM

I will second Suzy's Pace suggestion.  As seasoned of a runner as you are, HR should just become a notation for you after the run to verify your opinion of your RPE during your workout.  However, if you are going to use Pace....make sure you are using the right pace.  Have you tested to figure out your Paces? 

Oh Yea... GO PACK GO!!!
2011-01-23 7:07 PM
in reply to: #3316920

User image

Champion
marietta
badgerintx - 2011-01-23 8:01 PM  However, if you are going to use Pace....make sure you are using the right pace.  Have you tested to figure out your Paces? 

how do you determine "the right pace"?  

what test should be done to determine this? 

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-01-23 7:08 PM
2011-01-23 7:09 PM
in reply to: #3316936

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-23 7:07 PM
badgerintx - 2011-01-23 8:01 PM  However, if you are going to use Pace....make sure you are using the right pace.  Have you tested to figure out your Paces? 

Are you stiring the pot?  Or asking? Laughing

2011-01-23 7:10 PM
in reply to: #3316942

User image

Champion
marietta
badgerintx - 2011-01-23 8:09 PM

Are you stiring the pot?  Or asking? Laughing

asking, based on your advice.  edit.  i want to know what you think.   but i'm going to question.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-01-23 7:11 PM
2011-01-23 7:39 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

I am a big fan of the McMillian Running Calculator even my coach uses it as a reference.  So you plug in a recent race and it spits out just about every pace for any type of race and/or training run.  It gives long, easy run paces all the way down to 200m interval paces.  I have found it to be pretty accurate.

Now that said I did things a little backwards and pulled in the pace I want to do at Shamrock which is backwards and not what you are supposed to do.  In my defense though, I ran a race in Nov. pretty close to those paces so I am not way off base.  But I wanted numbers that I should be practicing in order to run a 3:45 marathon.
2011-01-23 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3316983

User image

Champion
LOL, I figured I would type what we are talking about.

Basically since your goal is to qualify, you run whatever pace you need to get that time.

IMO doing that is different than trying to run for a PR.  Basically run that pace for as long as you can, if you can't hold it for 26.2 miles the race doesn't matter.  Actually easier way to race, takes the guess work out of it.
2011-01-23 7:46 PM
in reply to: #3316983

User image

Master
Fell behind again -- have some catching up to do, but have a funny kid/tri story to share.

Took the fam out for sushi last night, still trying to find things we love that the kids will eat too. So, I was telling my son he could eat terryaki, or miso soup, or hey!! You could get a bento box!!

"A bento box?" my daughter exclaimed. "Oh mommy, I want a bento box! Please?? Please can I have my very own bento box??"

??

"Sweetheart, do you know what a bento box is," I asked, wondering why she was just delighted with the idea of getting compartmentalized food. 

"Yes!! It's one of those things that zips up, that you put on the front of your bike," she says excitedly. "You know, you can put your keys and phone in it, maybe a few snacks? Oh mommy do I really get one??"

She was so bummed when I told her that no, the sushi place was not giving her a bento box for her bike. (Might have to get her one for her birthday in April, though -- she is still talking about it!

2011-01-23 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3316998

User image

Champion
kkcbelle - 2011-01-23 8:46 PM Fell behind again -- have some catching up to do, but have a funny kid/tri story to share.

Took the fam out for sushi last night, still trying to find things we love that the kids will eat too. So, I was telling my son he could eat terryaki, or miso soup, or hey!! You could get a bento box!!

"A bento box?" my daughter exclaimed. "Oh mommy, I want a bento box! Please?? Please can I have my very own bento box??"

??

"Sweetheart, do you know what a bento box is," I asked, wondering why she was just delighted with the idea of getting compartmentalized food. 

"Yes!! It's one of those things that zips up, that you put on the front of your bike," she says excitedly. "You know, you can put your keys and phone in it, maybe a few snacks? Oh mommy do I really get one??"

She was so bummed when I told her that no, the sushi place was not giving her a bento box for her bike. (Might have to get her one for her birthday in April, though -- she is still talking about it!

ROFL, that's awesome.

2011-01-23 7:50 PM
in reply to: #3316998

User image

Elite
san francisco
kkcbelle - 2011-01-23 5:46 PM Fell behind again -- have some catching up to do, but have a funny kid/tri story to share.

??

So cute!  Future triathlete. Or future collector of handbags!  
2011-01-23 7:57 PM
in reply to: #3316997

User image

Master
dalessit - 2011-01-23 5:45 PM LOL, I figured I would type what we are talking about.

Basically since your goal is to qualify, you run whatever pace you need to get that time.

IMO doing that is different than trying to run for a PR.  Basically run that pace for as long as you can, if you can't hold it for 26.2 miles the race doesn't matter.  Actually easier way to race, takes the guess work out of it.

Having done that and failed big-time... I will say it is in no way an "easier" way to run a race. I held my pace for 15 miles and then it dropped off and it hurt more than anything I have ever done. In hindsight there is question about my taper not being long enough, but who knows. MacMillan certainly said I could do what I set out to do, and I trained religiously at the paces (LSDs, tempo runs, etc). But whatever I did in my training didn't work for me at this point. Oh well, on to the next race!!

2011-01-23 7:58 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario

You could use a HR monitor with GPS     sorry had to....
2011-01-23 7:59 PM
in reply to: #3317007

User image

Master
Kim, current collector of handbags... Or any containers into which you can put "little things." Been that way since she was about 2. So funny!!! So yeah, less triathlete, more little girl. But she loves to swim and ride her bike, so that's OK by me!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171