BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's Ironman/Half-Ironman focused Mentor Group --CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 95

2012-03-05 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3946905

User image

Subject: RE: Fred D's Ironman/Half-Ironman focused Mentor Group --CLOSED

Also a bit MIA this weekend.  Went out both Friday and Sat nights, which is odd for us, and had two big days.  Sat was 66 hilly miles on the bike plus 3 run, then Sunday was 12 mile run.  Last long HIM run, it wasn't my best run ever, and was a bit of a shock since my runs have felt much better.  Died at the end, most likely due to saturday's shenanigans.

this week is a slower week, thank goodness....

2012-03-05 4:01 PM
in reply to: #4081163

User image

Payson, AZ
ChrisM - 2012-03-05 11:22 AM

What are your coping mechanisms to get through injury?

I've only had one serious issue that has prevented me from doing anything, and that was when I dislocated my elbow.  I lived alone at the time and let me tell you, it sucked on many levels.  I was training for a marathon at the time and it happened just as I was getting to the most critical part of my training.  I can tell you what not to do.  Don't try and shove a 2 month training period into two weeks and then think you can still race.  I honestly don't remember my mental state during that time.

My last injury I was able to run through it, so I just had to work hard to get past it and was in a bit of pain.  But I knew I wasn't hurting myself more so that helped

2012-03-05 4:10 PM
in reply to: #4081169

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-03-05 4:50 PM
in reply to: #4080691

2012-03-05 5:03 PM

Payson, AZ
My friends keep telling me how windy my upcoming HIM will be.  Ha, they got nothing on Tucson.  High winds again tomorrow with gusts in the 50mph range.  Hoping to get out on the bike before they really show up but looks like they kind of already started.  Been a windy few weeks here. 
2012-03-05 5:52 PM
in reply to: #4081551

2012-03-05 5:54 PM
in reply to: #4081163

2012-03-05 6:20 PM

Elite
Dealing with injuries can be very difficult. In most cases you just have to do what you can. In 2009 I cracked two ribs 9 weeks before IMWI. I was totally devastated and was worried my race was over. I found I could not train at anything over about 130 bpm, which for me is pretty much a fast walk. So I decided I might actually benefit from doing some really long fast paced walks to get ready for the IM run . Walking 12 miles is NOT fun. Each week I was able to add in a minute or two of slow running to 5 minutes of walking. My swim was not up there with ChrisM or anything but I knew it was good enough to survive on so I just quit swimming for three weeks. Couldn't pull anyway. Biking was not as bothersome so I dialed the pace back and went long. What I'm basically saying is you play the hand your dealt. I wanted to do the race so I made a lot of compromises. Everyone needs to know what they really want out of something. If an injury prevents the type of training you really need to do to achieve an unchangeable goal then you have to accept the goal is no longer an option.
2012-03-06 5:01 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Good morning all!

AM run and a noon swim for me today.

I am heading out the door but later I want to post my thoughts on injuries.

I hope everyone has a great day of training or finding peace with it! 

2012-03-06 6:14 AM
in reply to: #4082156

2012-03-06 6:18 AM

Edited by Fred D 2012-03-06 6:18 AM

2012-03-06 8:16 AM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Sup peeps!!!

Well, my race did not got the way i planned, lotsa wheel suckers, no one wanted to work. I put in some really good efforts but in the end had bad position on the final lap and did not contest the field sprint. I did win a $40 prime, so the day was not wasted.

Took yesterday off as i had to take a sick day, may daughter has a cough and fever.

I have battle injuries in the past, they suck, i almost quit running because of a calf injury.

they take a mental toll as well as physical.

2012-03-06 9:13 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Ran this morning and headed to the pool here shortly.  My legs are still a bit banged up from this weekend so just took it easy this morning.

This weekend I am playing in a hockey tournament.  Could possibly play 6 games in 4 days so S/B/R volume is going to be a bit light this week unfortunately.  They also really like to drink beer at these hockey tournaments .

I am no help on the injury front (knock on wood).  I crashed my bike a couple years ago but was back riding and running 3 days later.  I have had some little nagging stuff but nothing that kept me out of the game.  I consider myself fortunate on that end.

Nice job on the race Rudy..bank rolling .

Tom:  I agree that the issue at Louisville is the heat.  It is a serious factor that can derail anybodys race if they are not acclimated or accustomed to racing in those conditions...I can vouch for that fact unfortunately.  Nutrition and hydration are key to doing well there IMO. 

2012-03-06 11:09 AM

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hi team!

Day two of ironman training in the books! DH and I were both up early and got it in this morning after swimming until 9:30 pm last night.  I did a short run off the bike and my legs were not all that mad at me which is a promising start to training!

Sorry to hear about the injury. It is a good idea to focus on what you can do such as swimming. 

I've had one major bout with ITBS which came on right after my first marathon.  It was devastating to me.  I rested a while which didn't help.  Then i found a great PT/Massage therapist and took it easy getting back at it.  For some reason I really wanted to get back to it but someone with less motivation may have quit all together.  I ran on my own for a good while so i wouldn't push the pace or distance and then set a cautious new goal once everything seemed to be coming together. I also starting taking yoga more often because it seemed to help me.  The hardest was coming back so much slower than i was.  I wondered if i would ever be back where I was.  Turns out I would - and be even faster   Dealing with the little injuries since then has been a lot easier since I went to triathlon because there are other sports -

I've had a couple of other minor things but it usually reminds me how much I love yoga. Yoga is great and i should do it more often.  The combo of stretch and strength does wonders for my body - it just doesn't always fit in the schedule.

2012-03-06 11:42 AM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Here is a vid of the start of the race and some in the middle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIDbXjeI0Zs&feature=youtu.be

i am in the white kit on the left of the screen

2012-03-06 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4082901

Payson, AZ
Rudedog55 - 2012-03-06 9:42 AM

You all look way to cold to me.  lol 

2012-03-06 11:54 AM

Payson, AZ
got my ride in early this morning before the high winds kick up.  Starting to see them a bit out there now so seems like I made the right call.  Was pretty chilly though as I was waiting for the sun to pop up over the mountain.  Was pretty nice after that though.
2012-03-06 12:04 PM
in reply to: #4082901

Rudedog55 - 2012-03-06 9:42 AM

How cool.  I love love love what people are doing with gopros, etc.

2012-03-06 12:06 PM

This week is a bit of a back off week.  Then I'll do one build week transitioning into taper week.

This morning ran an "easy" 5 miler on the beach.  Beautiful morning.  A bit overcast, glassy surf, a few guys out surfing, some SUPers (I want to try this....), huge flock of pelicans and seabirds torpedoing into the ocean to feed, dolphins out cruising.... 

I say "easy" because I am not good at pacing.  It felt pretty easy but my pace was probably too fast looking at the garmin.  I am not currently training by HR, so I am not very good at keeping things easy...  always seem to go a bit too hard.

2012-03-06 1:04 PM

2012-03-06 1:05 PM
in reply to: #4082951

2012-03-06 2:25 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

ChrisM - 2012-03-05 2:22 PM

Ok so sorry this may be long winded and I hope my thoughts come out in type ok.  Please forgive me if I seem brash.  It is not my intent to seems so or any other way other than sincere.

Disclosure:  I have had only one sports related training injury outside of a race.  It was so called shin splints.  It happened in the early eighty's at my feeble attempt to break the 4 minute mile barrier.

So with that being said I am no expert on dealing with sports related injuries and the personal stresses that can occur because of.  What I can say is I have my life dealing with some very hard life and traumatic experiences.  I also have as my most recent illness and treatment, which was no piece of cake.

I learned this a long time ago in a deep despair of my own private hell, no details needed.  My treatment and coping mechanism is; I have to call on a inner piece coupled from hope and faith.  I try to stay as positive as possible no matter how bad it gets; knowing that soon it will get better.  That is my key and my hope.  Knowing that I will never stand alone is my faith.  It's simple but requires a mental strength and works for me.  Yes there is weakness in outcries of, “How could this happen to me” and “Why”.  

I truly believe the mind is weaker than the body.  Experiencing hardships is a way that the mind can become tougher.  A simpler way is try to understand how others can live life with all the hardships.  My world travels have shown me a glimpse of this.  Truly there is always something worst.

One of the most memorable experiences of my athletics life was racing in criterium against a guy with one leg.  On reflecting after the race on how he must endure with loss of his leg and yet competing with athletes that are whole.  That was truly inspiration for me. To make me realize that I can deal with more than I could imagine.  It really put into perspective how my pitiful life was pathetic thinking I had problems.  

The other day I had met a man that was truly amazing and inspirational.  He came into the pool area in the morning during the busiest time.  For those that don’t know I am a Aquatics Director at a major health club.  I could see that he was going to do laps.  He quickly prepares himself, hops in and started swimming.  He swam like most dedicated lap swimmers for about an hour.  When he completed his laps I walked over to introduce myself and ask if he need any assistance.  We ended up talked for a while, he said he just joined the masters group, was training again for the Chesapeake Bay swim (4+ miles).  He enjoys endurance swimming and has been doing so for nearly 4 years.  We finished our conversation and I saw him out of the pool area.  I thought what a true amazing man and that all my hardships truly meant nothing.  I’ll see him in a few days and hope to learn more from him for we are now friends.  By the way Craig has no limbs, but all I saw was a amazing person that had no limits. True store

2012-03-06 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4081620

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

bzgl40 - 2012-03-05 6:03 PM My friends keep telling me how windy my upcoming HIM will be.  Ha, they got nothing on Tucson.  High winds again tomorrow with gusts in the 50mph range.  Hoping to get out on the bike before they really show up but looks like they kind of already started.  Been a windy few weeks here. 

Thats the spirt Kim! 

Edited by tasr 2012-03-06 2:36 PM
2012-03-06 2:30 PM
in reply to: #4083394

tasr - 2012-03-06 12:25 PM

ChrisM - 2012-03-05 2:22 PM

Ok so sorry this may be long winded and I hope my thoughts come out in type ok.  Please forgive me if I seem brash.  It is not my intent to seems so or any other way other than sincere.

Disclosure:  I have had only one sports related training injury outside of a race.  It was so called shin splints.  It happened in the early eighty's at my feeble attempt to break the 4 minute mile barrier.

So with that being said I am no expert on dealing with sports related injuries and the personal stresses that can occur because of.  What I can say is I have my life dealing with some very hard life and traumatic experiences.  I also have as my most recent illness and treatment, which was no piece of cake.

I learned this a long time ago in a deep despair of my own private hell, no details needed.  My treatment and coping mechanism is; I have to call on a inner piece coupled from hope and faith.  I try to stay as positive as possible no matter how bad it gets; knowing that soon it will get better.  That is my key and my hope.  Knowing that I will never stand alone is my faith.  It's simple but requires a mental strength and works for me.  Yes there is weakness in outcries of, “How could this happen to me” and “Why”.  

I truly believe the mind is weaker than the body.  Experiencing hardships is a way that the mind can become tougher.  A simpler way is try to understand how others can live life with all the hardships.  My world travels have shown me a glimpse of this.  Truly there is always something worst.

One of the most memorable experiences of my athletics life was racing in criterium against a guy with one leg.  On reflecting after the race on how he must endure with loss of his leg and yet competing with athletes that are whole.  That was truly inspiration for me. To make me realize that I can deal with more than I could imagine.  It really put into perspective how my pitiful life was pathetic thinking I had problems.  

The other day I had met a man that was truly amazing and inspirational.  He came into the pool area in the morning during the busiest time.  For those that don’t know I am a Aquatics Director at a major health club.  I could see that he was going to do laps.  He quickly prepares himself, hops in and started swimming.  He swam like most dedicated lap swimmers for about an hour.  When he completed his laps I walked over to introduce myself and ask if he need any assistance.  We ended up talked for a while, he said he just joined the masters group, was training again for the Chesapeake Bay swim (4+ miles).  He enjoys endurance swimming and has been doing so for nearly 4 years.  We finished our conversation and I saw him out of the pool area.  I thought what a true amazing man and that all my hardships truly meant nothing.  I’ll see him in a few days and hope to learn more from him for we are now friends.  By the way Craig has no limbs, but all I saw was a amazing person that had no limits. True store

Great post, thanks James.

Perspective is everything.

2012-03-06 2:35 PM
in reply to: #4082423

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Rudedog55 - 2012-03-06 9:16 AM

Sup peeps!!!

Well, my race did not got the way i planned, lotsa wheel suckers, no one wanted to work. I put in some really good efforts but in the end had bad position on the final lap and did not contest the field sprint. I did win a $40 prime, so the day was not wasted.

Took yesterday off as i had to take a sick day, may daughter has a cough and fever.

I have battle injuries in the past, they suck, i almost quit running because of a calf injury.

they take a mental toll as well as physical.

Ah the memories.  I am jealous.  Wink

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's Ironman/Half-Ironman focused Mentor Group --CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 95