BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 117

2012-02-16 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3942845

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING

Non tri related goal for this year: to start personalizing my house.  We've lived here for over 2 years now, and I feel like it's not that different from what it was when we first saw it - which was full of potential, but a pretty blank slate.  Now, parts of it, I find overwhelming, like painting the rooms with vaulted ceilings, but there is plenty I can do, like paint some other rooms, and put up pictures.

2012-02-16 9:31 AM
in reply to: #4048326

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
SSMinnow - 2012-02-15 7:25 AM

Yoo-Hoo!  Get up and check those calendars.  Who's hitting the pavement this weekend?  Spill the race plans and the strategy for success.

Let's dream a little.  I think we all believe there is more to life than SBR (even Doug!), what's your non SBR goal for 2012?  How 're you going to get there?

This has been so interesting reading about everyone's goals.  There are some fantastically diverse members in this group.   My personal goals are not so exciting.  I've spent a lot of time thinking about this and realized that last year was such a huge personal accomplishment so I'm quite content for 2012.   My goals are boring things like getting my finances back on track after 6 months of unemployeement, spending time with the family, and doing well at the new job.   

One tiny goal for 2012 is taking a long weekend in Florida to watch a few crazy people SBR for a few hours.   Still trying to make that work.  I've already been designing signs.

2012-02-16 10:05 AM
in reply to: #4050580

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
tahrens - 2012-02-16 9:31 AM
SSMinnow - 2012-02-15 7:25 AM

Yoo-Hoo!  Get up and check those calendars.  Who's hitting the pavement this weekend?  Spill the race plans and the strategy for success.

Let's dream a little.  I think we all believe there is more to life than SBR (even Doug!), what's your non SBR goal for 2012?  How 're you going to get there?

This has been so interesting reading about everyone's goals.  There are some fantastically diverse members in this group.   My personal goals are not so exciting.  I've spent a lot of time thinking about this and realized that last year was such a huge personal accomplishment so I'm quite content for 2012.   My goals are boring things like getting my finances back on track after 6 months of unemployeement, spending time with the family, and doing well at the new job.   

One tiny goal for 2012 is taking a long weekend in Florida to watch a few crazy people SBR for a few hours.   Still trying to make that work.  I've already been designing signs.

That would be so great to see you in Florida where at least some of us have nothing to do, but cheer and make fun of John!

2012-02-16 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4048326

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2012-02-15 6:25 AM

One of my non-SBR goals is to take a trip with the man overseas, probably Europe.  We haven't done that since '98 and it's long overdue.  Since our 24th anniversary is in September I am shooting for sometime in the Fall.  I've gotten close to convincing him to go somewhere before, but it always falls apart due to his work or some project we have going on at Chez Shain.  Not this time around.

2012-02-16 11:09 AM
in reply to: #4050510

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

kkcbelle - 2012-02-16 9:01 AM  My other non-kid hobby is training my dog as noted, and we have moved up to a new level of testing and will be running more challenging tests this spring and summer. What the dog has to do is quite advanced, IMO, and the handler (me) also plays a huge role in things -- so my goal is to pass some of these tests this go-around. Although even if I don't, I love love love the journey and the friends I have made along the way so it's nothing but good!

Love it .....  now can I suggest to stop leaving the bird decoy at the bottom of the Kitchen Garbage Can???

Edited by badgerintx 2012-02-16 11:09 AM
2012-02-16 11:10 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Shooting is fun! Portland Rev3 procrastinators---$20 off on active schwaggle today. Just saying' . Still trying to think of my one thing. Too many to choose from. I have to wait until 2016 for our Australia trip.

2012-02-16 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4050854

User image

Master

kt65 - 2012-02-16 9:10 AM Shooting is fun! Portland Rev3 procrastinators---$20 off on active schwaggle today. Just saying' . Still trying to think of my one thing. Too many to choose from. I have to wait until 2016 for our Australia trip.

Not seeing the deal... wah!!! That would be enough to make it final for me!

And Dino, yeah, you're right. Poor Trip-Trashcan-Head. That certainly damaged his street cred around the Labs that he trains with!!

2012-02-16 12:09 PM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Yay for SI making of the 2012 swimsuit issue on TV.  There hasn't been anything to watch all morning on TV until now.

At home sick and I'm bored.

2012-02-16 1:35 PM
in reply to: #4050961

User image

Elite
san francisco
dalessit - 2012-02-16 10:09 AM

Yay for SI making of the 2012 swimsuit issue on TV.  There hasn't been anything to watch all morning on TV until now.

The BEST pic is on the back cover.  Just sayin'.

2012-02-16 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4051176

User image

Master
kt65 - 2012-02-16 11:35 AM

TRUTH: I really miss my FIL every year at this time. He always had the swimsuit issue and I loved "reading" it when we'd visit AZ in Feb! (And he'd always pick out the suit he wanted me to wear in my next race, ha ha!) I'm too lame to buy my own issue. Ha!

2012-02-16 1:55 PM
in reply to: #4050913

User image

Elite
san francisco
kkcbelle - 2012-02-16 9:44 AM

kt65 - 2012-02-16 9:10 AM Shooting is fun! Portland Rev3 procrastinators---$20 off on active schwaggle today. Just saying' . Still trying to think of my one thing. Too many to choose from. I have to wait until 2016 for our Australia trip.

Not seeing the deal... wah!!! That would be enough to make it final for me!

And Dino, yeah, you're right. Poor Trip-Trashcan-Head. That certainly damaged his street cred around the Labs that he trains with!!

The coupon code is REV3ACTIVE12.  I love Trip.  He is priceless. 

2012-02-16 2:09 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario

How is everyone doing.

Nothing on my plate for Racing although the weather has warmed up and I have signed up for 3 races this week to get me in the spring spirit. I am still waiting for my local YMCA to slow down a bit so I can start swimming 4000-5000  yards a month isn't cutting it. But it is hard to get in the pool and not have 4 people per lane right now.

Darn new years resolution people... 

2012-02-16 2:15 PM
in reply to: #4051179

User image

Champion
kkcbelle - 2012-02-16 1:36 PM
kt65 - 2012-02-16 11:35 AM

TRUTH: I really miss my FIL every year at this time. He always had the swimsuit issue and I loved "reading" it when we'd visit AZ in Feb! (And he'd always pick out the suit he wanted me to wear in my next race, ha ha!) I'm too lame to buy my own issue. Ha!

Good to know the mag is out.  I always buy it for Paul and this will be a great present for him when he gets home late again tonight!

Really sorry about your FIL.  While I no longer have my dad with me, I do love spending time with my FIL (and MIL). 

2012-02-16 2:28 PM
in reply to: #4049846

User image

SSMinnow - 2012-02-15 8:31 PM Interesting?!

I find this very interesting.  I hate to lose the current pool of women, love watching them.

But man, the intensity.  Guess it's bound to happen.  It's just INSANE!

Still, I want Chrissie back after she takes her year off.

2012-02-16 3:06 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Hey all!

I'm going to steal most of your goals - I especially like the personalizing the house.    The only difference is that we've been here 5 years.  eek.  All we've painted is the master bedroom.  It IS gorgeous - faux painted and really  nice window coverings.  The rest of the house: white.  Maybe 2012 will be the year of color!!

I ran today, and it was my best training run ever, I think.  Today's Jeff's birthday, and he's in Boston.  Figured I'd run it fast, and tell him it was in his honor. jk.  But - wow!  I did! 

Serious question for the group, however....  I don't have a coach, or a plan, really.  Should I be deliberately doing runs slower/faster?  Trying to hold a specific pace?  I pretty much go out and do the best I can do on any given day - and it varies a lot, depending on weather, my route (hills versus rollers, trail versus road), how I feel (fighting a cold, bad RA day, etc).

OTHER THAN nutrition.....any suggestions?  We all know how bad my nutrition is.  In fact, I may need to have a glass of wine early tonight,  in honor of Jeff's birthday!

ETA:  plan in question is for running Boston fast.....super secret goal of sub 3:45.  Fastest marathon (Big Sur) is 3:49; Boston time in 2010 was 4:05.  Napa (2009) was 3:59; Silicon Valley (2010) was also 3:59.

Edited by velcromom 2012-02-16 3:12 PM
2012-02-16 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4051398

User image

Champion
velcromom - 2012-02-16 3:06 PM

Hey all!

I'm going to steal most of your goals - I especially like the personalizing the house.    The only difference is that we've been here 5 years.  eek.  All we've painted is the master bedroom.  It IS gorgeous - faux painted and really  nice window coverings.  The rest of the house: white.  Maybe 2012 will be the year of color!!

I ran today, and it was my best training run ever, I think.  Today's Jeff's birthday, and he's in Boston.  Figured I'd run it fast, and tell him it was in his honor. jk.  But - wow!  I did! 

Serious question for the group, however....  I don't have a coach, or a plan, really.  Should I be deliberately doing runs slower/faster?  Trying to hold a specific pace?  I pretty much go out and do the best I can do on any given day - and it varies a lot, depending on weather, my route (hills versus rollers, trail versus road), how I feel (fighting a cold, bad RA day, etc).

OTHER THAN nutrition.....any suggestions?  We all know how bad my nutrition is.  In fact, I may need to have a glass of wine early tonight,  in honor of Jeff's birthday!

ETA:  plan in question is for running Boston fast.....super secret goal of sub 3:45.  Fastest marathon (Big Sur) is 3:49; Boston time in 2010 was 4:05.  Napa (2009) was 3:59; Silicon Valley (2010) was also 3:59.

I love that you're a multiple Boston Qualifier and  you ask if you should have a plan.  Now that is funny. I think Twin is in the best position to talk about it, but in my humble opinion a plan is a good thing to follow.  Might be a little late in the game, but 6 weeks is better than nothing.    And yeah, pre and post nutrition is important....feel like we've been down this road before.Tongue out.....The only reason I guess I am glad that I am not a "skinny girl" is it forces the issue of nutrition.  Eat well, stay lean.  Eat poorly, stay a Fatty (ha!).

2012-02-16 3:52 PM
in reply to: #4051518

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
SSMinnow - 2012-02-16 1:41 PM

Hey all!

I love that you're a multiple Boston Qualifier and  you ask if you should have a plan.  Now that is funny. I think Twin is in the best position to talk about it, but in my humble opinion a plan is a good thing to follow.  Might be a little late in the game, but 6 weeks is better than nothing.    And yeah, pre and post nutrition is important....feel like we've been down this road before.Tongue out.....The only reason I guess I am glad that I am not a "skinny girl" is it forces the issue of nutrition.  Eat well, stay lean.  Eat poorly, stay a Fatty (ha!).

I DO know how important nutrition is.....it is truly my weak link.  And I AM working on it.  And I wasn't always skinny - I'm down 45 pounds from 2006.

As for the plan.....I pretty much just run. and bike.  and sometimes swim.  Followed Jeff's rather loose interpretation of an IM training plan, based upon our Tri-club's coach's generic plan.  Worked it around life, rather than life around it.  Needed to do it that way, with kids and such.  Really like/liked the running, spent more time on it, got faster.  It helped to start older - BQ cuts are much easier.

I'm 8 weeks and 4 days out.  Just wondering if I should put more structure into this, or just keep on keepin' on.  Number one goal is to stay healthy and uninjured - something that has been a big issue!

Finally, if you're bored....I posted in COJ about a confrontation at my pharmacy.  Don't need to re-type it - but your opinions would be welcome!!

Off to stretch - and roller - and maybe nap a bit!!

2012-02-16 4:22 PM
in reply to: #4051556

User image

Champion
velcromom - 2012-02-16 3:52 PM

Hey all!

I DO know how important nutrition is.....it is truly my weak link.  And I AM working on it.  And I wasn't always skinny - I'm down 45 pounds from 2006.

As for the plan.....I pretty much just run. and bike.  and sometimes swim.  Followed Jeff's rather loose interpretation of an IM training plan, based upon our Tri-club's coach's generic plan.  Worked it around life, rather than life around it.  Needed to do it that way, with kids and such.  Really like/liked the running, spent more time on it, got faster.  It helped to start older - BQ cuts are much easier.

I'm 8 weeks and 4 days out.  Just wondering if I should put more structure into this, or just keep on keepin' on.  Number one goal is to stay healthy and uninjured - something that has been a big issue!

Finally, if you're bored....I posted in COJ about a confrontation at my pharmacy.  Don't need to re-type it - but your opinions would be welcome!!

You know I'm just giving you crap on the eating front, right?  The reason I said 6 weeks of a structured plan is you'll need 2 taper weeks.  Hey Twin, what do you have for our Boston girl?

2012-02-16 4:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Stretching/rolling question:

So while stretching with my coach/trainer after a weights session last night I (re)learned how tight my IT band is and also learned how tight the outsides of my glutes are.  The first is not a surprise, but the second is.  I mean I guess it should not have been -- I have noticed that when doing squats, my knees often slightly track outwards rather than forward.  My coach/trainer said last night that he has noticed that sometimes my knees track slightly outward when riding as well. 

So I want to make both less tight.  I assume that doing so is a combination of stretching and foam rolling.  Unless I am mistaken, the foam rolling of those areas should be relatively straightforward.  Any recommendations on good stretches -- both for my IT band and for the outside of my glutes? Any other recommendations for those problematic areas?

Thanks.

2012-02-16 4:25 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Cool afternoon spent on a Business Call at the Trek World Headquarters in Waterloo, WI.  They are in the middle of refurbishing the Muesum right now so just sitting in the corner of the conference room we are using is Lance's bike from the '03 tour when he crashed on a feed bag and got run over by Iban Mayo and still went on to victory with a broken chainstay.  Yup, I inspected it, the chainstay was and still is broken.  

AWESOME!!!

Edited by badgerintx 2012-02-16 4:45 PM
2012-02-16 6:09 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

velcromom - 2012-02-16 4:52 PM

And I wasn't always skinny

i'd still hit it.

2012-02-16 6:34 PM
in reply to: #4051636

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2012-02-16 2:22 PM
velcromom - 2012-02-16 3:52 PM

Hey all!

You know I'm just giving you crap on the eating front, right?  The reason I said 6 weeks of a structured plan is you'll need 2 taper weeks.  Hey Twin, what do you have for our Boston girl?

Well, Linda, I know you must be loosely following some type of plan at least in terms of miles for your long runs...since looking at your logs, there is definitely a progression.  I would say doing the best you can on any given day has worked pretty darn well for you thus far.  From today's run of 13 miles at an 8:13 pace, it would seem to count as more of a "tempo" run? 

Not a coach, nor do I play one on TV...wait, what is that Holiday Inn thing? Julia, Tony?  But you asked............

You have a goal of 3:45 which works out to an 8:35-ish pace I think.  I would think doing some tempo runs where you stay at a steady 8:30-8:35 would teach your body what it feels like to hold that pace, whether it is 4 miles or building up to 8-10 miles, it should initially feel kind of hard, but the more you do it, it will feel easy (sort of).   I think you said you don't train by HR, so I guess in terms of RPE, definitely a 6-7 on a scale of 10, where 10 is a 5k, 9 is a 10k, 7-8 is a half marathon.  It may take some conscious effort not to over or under cook it...but if you are already doing 13 miles at 8:13 and not dying at the end, this sounds more than manageable for you!

While it's great that you can do 13 miles at an 8:13 pace...is it the most helpful type of run in your training for a marathon?  My 2 cents is that a midweek run of 10-12 is good, but maybe 6-8 of those miles right at marathon pace would be more helpful than something 20 sec/mi faster than that, that might just put you in Z4...not sure it does...but just saying it might...and that would be a bit harder to recover from.  There are more reasons that I love this type of run, but you'll have to p.m. me...I don't want to bore the MG! 

I don't think I should comment on the long run pace because it really depends on your current training...which is by your own description, somewhat based on how you are feeling...I think if you are already doing lots of speed, or tempo, then they can be at a harder pace, but if not, then safer to be at an easier pace.  When I was training for Boston last year, I was flying through my long runs, but I was also not injured and I was doing plenty of speed and tempo work.  When I trained for Goofy, I was kind of injured so we did my long runs at a very medium to easy effort.

That's all I got, hope it helps a little bit, maybe you are already doing that stuff, maybe someone else can chime in with more words of experience.

You are going to do great, you are tough and strong and smart and a very talented runner AND I think that lady at the pharmacy was a you know what.  Go get 'em tiger!  I love running marathons, and cannot wait to follow you on Patriot's Day!  Go, Linda, Go!

2012-02-16 7:47 PM

User image

Master
velcromom - 2012-02-16 1:52 PM

Am I the only one who dropped my jaw on the floor at this statement??? Linda -- I cannot picture you 45 pounds heavier!! There is a story there, either how it was you came to weigh more (cuz I know you didn't pop out a baby in 2005), or how you came to be so svelte now. DISH!!!!!

2012-02-16 7:49 PM
in reply to: #4051834

User image

Master
kt65 - 2012-02-16 4:34 PM

While it's great that you can do 13 miles at an 8:13 pace...is it the most helpful type of run in your training for a marathon?  My 2 cents is that a midweek run of 10-12 is good, but maybe 6-8 of those miles right at marathon pace would be more helpful than something 20 sec/mi faster than that, that might just put you in Z4...not sure it does...but just saying it might...and that would be a bit harder to recover from.  There are more reasons that I love this type of run, but you'll have to p.m. me...I don't want to bore the MG! 

Ummmmm... NOT BORING!!!! More more more more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2012-02-16 7:53 PM
in reply to: #4051922

User image

Champion
kkcbelle - 2012-02-16 7:49 PM
kt65 - 2012-02-16 4:34 PM

Ummmmm... NOT BORING!!!! More more more more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

X2. Spill your secrets!

PS.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 117