General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 82

2009-05-29 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2180967

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread
jjcnbg - 2009-05-29 10:38 AM Wow, already looking at centuries!  You are a bike riding fool.  I am new to the bike thing and trying to build slowly.  I am only doing long rides of about 30 miles adding 5 miles give or take a week.   That means I won't reach the centuries until Sept/Oct.  I am impressed that you can find the time to be doing those long rides this early on and maintaining that for another 5 months.  You are my hero! 

I think it's fear--that, and I've really come to enjoy doing long rides on weekends.  There isn't much "to do" where I live so and because the recovery isn't too bad (I just want to eat small farm animals occassionally), I feel like my body can afford it.  I feel (as does the friend coaching me) that my bike fitness is key to the whole thing going well (not that I'm neglecting the others, I'm not) and I'm only in my 2nd year of tri's--so I've really tried to build a good base.  But really, I have fun doing it and enjoy making it to the organized rides in TX. 

2009-05-29 12:15 PM
in reply to: #2181081

User image

Extreme Veteran
TexasMPGal - 2009-05-29 11:16 AM
jjcnbg - 2009-05-29 10:38 AM Wow, already looking at centuries!  You are a bike riding fool.  I am new to the bike thing and trying to build slowly.  I am only doing long rides of about 30 miles adding 5 miles give or take a week.   That means I won't reach the centuries until Sept/Oct.  I am impressed that you can find the time to be doing those long rides this early on and maintaining that for another 5 months.  You are my hero! 

I think it's fear--that, and I've really come to enjoy doing long rides on weekends.  There isn't much "to do" where I live so and because the recovery isn't too bad (I just want to eat small farm animals occassionally), I feel like my body can afford it.  I feel (as does the friend coaching me) that my bike fitness is key to the whole thing going well (not that I'm neglecting the others, I'm not) and I'm only in my 2nd year of tri's--so I've really tried to build a good base.  But really, I have fun doing it and enjoy making it to the organized rides in TX. 

Makes sense, as much as I hate to admit it.

The whole reason I entered the world of endurance sports is to burn off the calories I consume from eating small farm animals  
2009-05-29 11:18 PM
in reply to: #1842836

User image

New user

Lutz, FL
Just curious. I am planning on signing up for IMFL for 2010 but wanted to know how most of you signed up. Did most sign up in person at the event or online? I just want to make my plan for signing up for the 2010 race and dont want it to sell out before I have the opportunity to register. Does it typically fill up at the event or are there slots left for online registration? Anyone who has any information about this would be a huge help! Thanks guys and good luck training for your big day in 2009!
2009-05-30 5:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Signed up online.  I was sitting at the computer thinking about all the horror stories I had heard about the race selling out in minutes when that clock turned 12:00.  I instantly started rapid fire typing trying to get through.  It took probably 100-200 clicks at least before I was able to get through and register.  Once that was all said and done it ended up taking days to sell out.  It seems that with the new registration policy they have in place the races sell out more slowly.  I can't say it will continue to be that way but it was for the 2009 race.  
2009-05-30 7:55 AM

User image

Expert
I volunteered, then signed up in person the next day.

Training is going ok here. I have a friend who decided to do a HIM on the same day, so when I get into the long rides at least I'll have company for half of the ride!

The questions I get from non-triathletes are funny. I did my last Ironman when I was stationed elsewhere, so I'm getting the same questions from this new crowd of coworkers. My boss keeps asking me when my marathon is, or if I ran my marathon this weekend. When I tell him it's in November, I get funny looks and "wow, you have plenty of time to train." Anybody else get stuff like that?
2009-05-30 8:29 AM
in reply to: #2182755

User image

New user

Lutz, FL
Registration opens online the day AFTER the event at noon, right?

2009-05-30 2:44 PM

User image

Expert
Edited: I'm an idiot.

Edited by GulfCoastSwimmer 2009-05-30 2:45 PM
2009-05-30 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2182853

User image

Regular
in a pool, on a bike, or up the trail
fsusoccplaya - 2009-05-30 9:29 AM Registration opens online the day AFTER the event at noon, right?

Day after the event, yes, but I'm pretty sure the time is earlier than noon. Can't remember exactly, but last year it started a bit earlier than what they said. They take the volunteer line first, then started in with the rest of us.

I showed up at about 7:30AM and was fairly far back in the line. Not far enough to be a risk of not getting in though. Made for a long morning, but my wife hung out with me, and there's lots of other people around you to talk to. Since everyone obviously has something in common it's easy to break the ice - exchange history, training stories, "where ya from", etc. It was quite fun actually.

I guess I'm not surprised to hear that it didn't fill up the same day last year. I guess the effects of the economy are real. Events of all kinds are filling slower and/or participation is dropping.
2009-05-31 1:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Knoxville

Those of you who raced this weekend, howd ya do? Did anyone else do the Macon Half?

2009-05-31 1:42 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
Driving home from Macon now! Had a good race - loved the course! A bit challenging for this flat lander but pretty...and the 40mph downhills were a blast! That race will likely be on my calendar for next year.My coach took 5th overall...and was pleasantly surprised to receive a check! A nicely done race, low stress and some good prizes!!
2009-06-01 10:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I HATE THE HEAT!!!!

I know that's kind of funny coming from a man who lives in "Hot"lanta.  I am actually a Chicagoan born and raised but my wife is from Atlanta and as usual she won.

So today I was out running and it was about 85 degrees, sunny, and not a cloud in the sky.  I had 11 miles to run so off I went.  During the winter I can go out on a 40 degree day and knock out 8 to 8:30 mile paces.  Today my times came in at more like 10 to 10:30 mile paces.  I have been noticing my times climb as the temperature rises but a 2 minute per mile pace difference is insane.  I try to hydrate more and take in more calories since I am a heavy sweater but I don't want to have to stop and pee every two miles.  When I am running under 13.1 I usually just use gatorade and start taking in solids if I go longer distances.

Does anyone else have such a tough reaction to the heat?  Too bad they don't have Ironmans in Febuary in the Northern Hemisphere, I would be all over it.  Just cut a hole in the ice and let's go!

That's my gripe for the day.  Happy Training Day everyone! 

2009-06-01 12:47 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

If you are doing this years race you can sign up for next year the day before the race.  I think reg opened at lik 7 am for everyone else, volunteers get first dibs.  There are no 3 IMs in November so there are more races for people to choose from, I realy dont' think its a reflection on the economy

Ironically IMFL may be one of the LEAST hot races.  In 2006 it waw 31 on the beach at the race start.  It was chilly all day.  2008 was MUCH more pleasant.  If you hate heat for SURE do not sign up for Louisville.

2009-06-01 1:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I am pretty much scared to death of Louisville.  One of the reasons I signed up for IMFL was looking at the weather history it seemed like the best option in North America.  Although some can be colder like IM Wisconsin (near my hometown) they can also have wild weather swings with oppressive heat.  I don't know how people did IMAZ before they moved the date.  I go there most years in November and that definately seems like a great time of year to do it.  

Hopefully all this brutal summer training will just make the fall all that more sweet.  

2009-06-02 12:30 PM

New user
Is there a website out there that gives a 158 days weather forecast for Panama City, FL ? 

I can wait until tomorrow if the website can only forecast 157 days Smile
2009-06-02 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2189454

User image

Veteran
Virginia

Hi fellow IMFL 2009 participants:

I hope that your training is going along well.  I have raced some sprints and oly triathlons this and just started my official IM plan last week.

This weekend I am doing a 150 mile training ride over two days as a fundraiser for MS.  Any support by my fellow IMFL trainees would be greatly appreciated. 

http://bit.ly/X9Fo

My wife was diagnosed with MS just after we were married almost 20 years ago.  Thankfully she has never really had a severe flair up and has been able to join me in training and racing sprint and Olympic distance triathlons and even the NYC Marathon last year.  While we have been fortunate in the mildness of her symptoms and conditions of the disease, others are not nearly as fortunate.  We are thankful for every day that she has her sight, mobility and overall health. 

I know these are tough times, but unfortunately diseases such as MS don't slow down for recessions.  Anything that you all can do to help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance and happy training!!

Brad

2009-06-03 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2186461

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
jjcnbg - 2009-06-01 11:57 AM

I HATE THE HEAT During the winter I can go out on a 40 degree day and knock out 8 to 8:30 mile paces.  Today my times came in at more like 10 to 10:30 mile paces.  I have been noticing my times climb as the temperature rises but a 2 minute per mile pace difference is insane.  I try to hydrate more and take in more calories since I am a heavy sweater but I don't want to have to stop and pee every two miles.  When I am running under 13.1 I usually just use gatorade and start taking in solids if I go longer distances.

Does anyone else have such a tough reaction to the heat?

It was about 92 here + heat index yesterday when I headed out for my run, ended up about 1 min/mile slower than what I ran earlier this week when it was in the upper 70s. You can get acclimated to the heat and your times will come back down, just takes a little while.

2009-06-04 11:51 AM
in reply to: #2191423

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
ShawnFromNorfolk - 2009-06-03 8:43 AM
jjcnbg - 2009-06-01 11:57 AM I HATE THE HEAT During the winter I can go out on a 40 degree day and knock out 8 to 8:30 mile paces.  Today my times came in at more like 10 to 10:30 mile paces.  I have been noticing my times climb as the temperature rises but a 2 minute per mile pace difference is insane.  I try to hydrate more and take in more calories since I am a heavy sweater but I don't want to have to stop and pee every two miles.  When I am running under 13.1 I usually just use gatorade and start taking in solids if I go longer distances.

Does anyone else have such a tough reaction to the heat?
It was about 92 here + heat index yesterday when I headed out for my run, ended up about 1 min/mile slower than what I ran earlier this week when it was in the upper 70s. You can get acclimated to the heat and your times will come back down, just takes a little while.

While I prefer to run in cooler weather (50's-60's is cool for me) just cause it easier, I don't mind the heat for everything else. In fact, I'd rather be hot than freezing cold.  If I'm hot, I keep sweating and just have to make sure I'm taking in plenty of water--if I'm cold and cannot feel my toes or my fingers then I am not happy!! I don't mind cold for brief periods of time and when I'm appropriately dressed, but freezing cold for long periods of time make me an unhappy camper!!

155 days--and no, no weather schedule out that far...but we all should be putting our prayers in for calm waters, calm winds, and delightful temps!  

Anyone doing IMFL heading to the Redman HIM or Full IM Aquabike (I'm doing the HIM) on Sept 19? It's also the Half-Max Championships.
2009-06-04 12:13 PM
in reply to: #2182853

User image

• Thats correct.
2009-06-06 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
22 weeks
2009-06-07 10:53 PM

User image

Master

22 weeks.

Thanks for the update. Hope everyone's training is going well. My IMFL specific training starts next Monday. This weekend is my other "A" race. Once that is over its time to focus on Florida.

2009-06-08 5:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anyone terrified, or is it just me.  I used to be pretty confident about the whole thing but my fitness and my weight isn't quite where it used to be.  I had the same butterflies leading up to my first marathon and that worked out ok.  Just curious if any of the other newbie's are getting a little nervous.  

On an up note I am finally getting back into my swimming groove.  I haven't used the crawl stroke in about 15 years so it is taking awhile to brake the breast stroke habit.  In addition, I finally got my bike fitted and tuned up. Man did that ever make a difference.  I find that although I have lost a little control in the aero position, my comfort and speed have increased dramatically.

Happy training! 

2009-06-08 7:09 AM
in reply to: #2189454

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

tuan2u - 2009-06-02 1:30 PM Is there a website out there that gives a 158 days weather forecast for Panama City, FL ? 

I can wait until tomorrow if the website can only forecast 157 days Smile

Geez o Pete........DOn't stress over stuff you cannot control!!  Pray for no wind tho

I can tell you I have been there the last 3 years 2 to race and 1 to volunteer. 

2006 FREAKING COLD AND WINDY.  worst conditions in the history of the race. (yes my first IM)  it was 31 on on the beach in the morning (yes its ironamn FLORIDA) super sindy with 5 foot wavse the second loop of the swim.  Could not see the buoys unless you were on top of a wave.  and the wind made for a really fun bike ride.

2007 fabulous perfect weather although they got a little wind in the afternoon on the bike.  Temps in the 70s all day

2008 pretty perfect too.   A little cooler than 2007 and a little wind but pancake flat swim.  Very plesant to be racing.  Temps probably high 60s-70s

2009-06-08 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2186461

Mobile
I live in Mobile, AL born and bred. It just doesn't matter, every year I go through a period where I am just beat after a long run. The humidity and the heat are a beast!! I have a friend whose husband is in the Coast Guard and they moved here from Alaska. She asked, "what do you do when its so hot?" My answer, "keep running, sweat more". I feel your pain!!

Remember--Pain is temporary, Pride is forever!

DG
2009-06-08 11:18 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
I am looking forward to the race...but have a ways to go yet!!!  I have an Oly and HIM on the sched and may do a few others before then, just to see. 

My strategy for the first one...and I've only done one...was to take it, literally, day by day.."what do I have to do today?" was my question....come race morning, it was the same thing.  If you are consistent with making your key workouts and follow your plan, you will do great!!! 
2009-06-09 8:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Biking without socks = comfortable!
Running without socks = OUCH MY FEET!!!

Lesson learned. 
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 82