BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's geek heaven - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-04-19 3:36 AM
in reply to: #2069077

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Subject: RE: enginerd's geek heaven - FULL
For sports drink, have been using Accelerade. The protein gets pretty frothy, and I cant tell that it makes a difference. May go back to Gatorade.

Normal drink of choice is diet soda.

Alcohol, I have about 5 drinks a year. Can't remember the last time I had a drink. I am fine with other people drinking, but when I do, I have a half a glass of beer or wine, and I fall asleep. Not very social, so I don't do it.

2009-04-19 3:39 AM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Strongest event is probably the run. I enjoy biking the most.

I survive the swim, so I can bike and run.

Swim has gone from " I hate it" to blah it's ok but would rather bike or run.
2009-04-19 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2094795

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB
poweredbyfear - 2009-04-18 11:52 PM  I've recently started experimenting with drinking coffee/expresso before a ride. Caffeine is supposed to wake up the neurons or something like that (Donato explained it to me a few times). Maybe its psychological but it seems to help. For my ride I typically have Cytomax in my water bottle, but I've been experimenting with Accelerade which has carbs *and* protein. They say protein improves the body's ability to absorb the carbs. But I ran out of Accelerade before coming to a conclusion on that. I've tried biking with just water and my performance noticeably suffers. 

Hmmm...was just at my chiro/ART guy who is CSC and knows a thing or two about training and he was suggesting trying the caffeine thing prior to workouts just for that reason. But...his suggestion was coffee without any other food. Unfortunately, as much as I love coffee, it does irk my stomach when it is empty, so not sure how that experiment is going to go.

My understanding is: the deal with protein combined with carbs is to improve absorption as well as to slow down the glycogen usage. Not exactly sure on the science behind it....

Way to go on the 88 miles! WOW! It will be a little while before I build up to that distance!
2009-04-19 12:45 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, CA
Cashmason, yeah I agree with the Accelerade... and it gunks up the water bottle. I always wonder how much of the protein I'm actually taking in versus it being stuck to the sides... definitely have to shake it before drinking. Also Accelerade has a strong taste to me. I learned if I mix it at night then let it sit in the fridge until morn that the taste softens.

RunYC, what was the rationale for having coffee with nothing else? I am much stronger on the morning ride if I eat something... doesn't seem to impact caffeine absorption that I can tell. Maybe get another adjustment and ask your chiro about it.

I always loved running. I used to run just for the heck of it, to relieve stress, etc. I wasn't really into biking and hated swimming, but they were necessary evils since well its 2/3 of a tri . Then early last year I strained my foot where I couldn't run so I started biking more. Thats when I realized biking is more fun when you're in shape. Mid last year I hurt my achilles so I couldn't bike or run, then of course I swam a lot more. As I got better I now love swimming. If I only have an hour to do something I now think swim first. Now running is my least favorite... it tightens my calves which aggravates my achilles. Imagine that...
2009-04-19 1:16 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
poweredbyfear - 2009-04-18 10:52 PM Caffeine is supposed to wake up the neurons or something like that (Donato explained it to me a few times). Maybe its psychological but it seems to help.

My understanding is that there is an ergogenic benefits of caffeine in helping to release fatty acids for metabolism.  In addition, with the central governer theory it's a your brain limiting your performance when you are fatigued (presumably for self protection reasons) and the caffeine will give you a boost to allow you to continue to recruit more muscle fibers into action.
2009-04-19 4:46 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
poweredbyfear - 2009-04-18 10:52 PM Work has been brutal of late so I'm way behind in the thread. I biked 88 miles with Donato today so I'm actually surprised I'm still awake. 

Speaking of nutrition (or lack thereof), the tail end of our ride was a death march for us because we handn't ridden with these guys before, didn't know the route, and didn't realize there wouldn't be any stops for nutrition along the way (except at the beginning).  Tough to bike 88 miles (cold and foggy along the ocean at the start, hot during the 2000' climb inland and along the ridge, then cold and foggy again on the return) with only a few gus and one sports drink (and water along the way).  Not recommended.  Made for a very miserable finish to the ride.

Weather today in the bay area is amazing.  Went for a hot hilly 10 mile run today.  Had planned for 13 miles, but quads were too fatigued so I cut it short.

2009-04-19 7:20 PM
in reply to: #2095354

User image

Master
enginerd - 2009-04-19 1:16 PM

poweredbyfear - 2009-04-18 10:52 PM Caffeine is supposed to wake up the neurons or something like that (Donato explained it to me a few times). Maybe its psychological but it seems to help.

My understanding is that there is an ergogenic benefits of caffeine in helping to release fatty acids for metabolism.  In addition, with the central governer theory it's a your brain limiting your performance when you are fatigued (presumably for self protection reasons) and the caffeine will give you a boost to allow you to continue to recruit more muscle fibers into action.

And coffee (caffeine) just rocks. That's reason enough for me.

I do prefer having cuppa before a morning run, but oftentimes don't give myself the time (i.e. out the door w/in 10-15 min. of waking up for the early ones). I do notice a difference in my w/coffee and w/o coffee runs. I never skip coffee on race day!

Great job on that 88-mile ride, guys. That is tough that you weren't planning for more nutrition stops. It is one of the worst feelings not to have what you need and not be home. I hate the end of long rides where I just want to be HOME but I still have 5 or 10 or 20 or whatever miles to go. Such a slog-fest... Good for you guys for enduring!!!!!
2009-04-19 10:02 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Wow, looks like everyone is pushing nice and hard.  I did my first outside ride this past Saturday and it was tough.  I only lasted an hour and 20 minutes before my legs couldn't handle the hills anymore.  Sadly the bike had to go back on the trainer on Sunday because of 35 degree weather and rain/snow.  I will hopefully be outside towards the middle of the week if the weather people are right   I can certainly tell today how much more stress outdoor riding has on your shoulders... I wasn't on my triathlon bike... than just being inside. 

I am hoping that I can talk myself into going to the pool this week.  It has been a really long time.  I might just bargain with myself that I can go and do whatever I want as long as I am swimming and see how that goes.  I really do need to get back in the water.

2009-04-20 10:28 AM

User image

Master
New York, NY
This weekend I did my first ride outside in maybe 5 months.  I've totally been missing out!  It was such a great ride, and the weather here was amazing!
2009-04-20 11:14 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Hope everyone had a great weekend.  let's get back to our QOTD this week. 

QOTD: Have you had any overuse injuries?  If so, what was it, how long did it affect you, and how did you manage your training (if it all) through the injury?

Edited by enginerd 2009-04-20 11:14 AM
2009-04-20 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2097183

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
enginerd - 2009-04-20 9:14 AM Hope everyone had a great weekend.  let's get back to our QOTD this week. 

QOTD: Have you had any overuse injuries?  If so, what was it, how long did it affect you, and how did you manage your training (if it all) through the injury?

It used to be every season I'd have an overuse in my right leg.  Last time I took 2 weeks off training, and came back with a 12 mile run to start.  That screwed up my right leg and I haven't ran since.  

The leg flares/splays (duck footed) out which I'm pretty sure causes the injuries.  After searching tons of resources I've seen several articles which say strecthing and excercising the hip abductors will straighten it out; which is what I'm doing now.

2009-04-20 12:38 PM
in reply to: #2097454

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Oh, and I had a undisciplined weekend; I blew off 2 of my rides.  I'm designing the website for my tri club, and I just got obsessed with finishing the site.  Sometimes when I get my mind on something I focus solely on that one thing, which can either be good or bad depending how you look at it.  Luckily people seem to like it and it should be up soon. 

Its pretty ironic I blew off triathlon training to make a triathlon website. heh.
2009-04-20 2:58 PM

User image

Chicago, IL
enginerd - 2009-04-20 11:14 AM

Luckily I have not experienced any overuse injuries. knock, knock, knock..
2009-04-20 4:31 PM

User image

enginerd - 2009-04-20 12:14 PM Hope everyone had a great weekend.  let's get back to our QOTD this week. 

I got a calf strain from ramping up my mileage too fast early in my training for this marathon. Too much hill work can also lead to calf strain, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't my issue ;>. At first, I kept giving it just a couple of days rest and then trying to go back out there as if nothing had happened, and that just prolonged the injury. I finally started swimming as cross training and took 2 weeks off from running, gave it lots of massage and stretching, and then eased back in to running over a week.

I've had it tighten up on me a couple of times since then, so I've had to back off mileage and intensity for a few days, but I've been able to head off a more serious problem by massaging and stretching the calf and anywhere else that was tight (glute, quad, shin), shortening my stride, running on grass or dirt as much as possible, and switching to running on the right side when on roads (I supinate on the left foot, so running on the left side of the road made that worse).

The only other time I trained for a marathon, awhile ago now, I had IT band problems, which lingered until I got a sports massage. She massaged the heck out of my quad, and I was able to run without problems after that. I was luckier as a swimmer, never had shoulder problems even when training 3+ hrs/day. Of course, I was a lot younger then!

I'm hoping the better balance of triathlon training will be kinder to my body than just running running running. I think I'd fall apart with the training load that you IMers carry, so I'll stick with the shorter stuff!

2009-04-20 7:40 PM

User image

Master
enginerd - 2009-04-20 11:14 AM

I get "tweaks" here and there that, when I look back, I can attribute to not listening closely to my body and doing too much. However these have never held me back more than a few workouts.

Earlier this year I really did a number on my rotator cuff tendon, trying to do the 100 push-ups thing. I ramped up my push-ups way too fast and would get weird pain in my shoulder blade area. One night I reached a point where I couldn't lift my arm. Even though I didn't feel it directly in the tendon, it was the tendon that was tweaked. I did PT and layed off of everything arms for a couple of months. Gradually, I reached a point where I just HAD to swim and told my PT as much. It hurt, but not badly... So I built back up super slowly to some yardage I'd be OK with. It is still not 100%, but I can tell when too much is too much. I'm not doing anything in the pool other than freestyle (I love mixing up strokes when I need to do higher yardage, but around 3500 I'm OK keeping it all free w/some easy backstroke thrown in for warm downs). While this was acting up when I started my HIM program, if I had to lay off a sport, swimming was the best one for me not to do. It bugged me mentally, but I knew it was no big deal in the grand scheme of things (and I was right!).

One of my knees will hurt if I do a longer run than I'm ready for. It is nothing that lasts a long time, and I know it the second I feel it. I've found if I just back off and do a couple of weeks of shorter runs then it all works out. I've only had this a couple of times and both times it was when I just went out and decided to run 10 or 12 miles when I hadn't been doing much prior. I'm getting too old to do that!!
2009-04-20 9:03 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

enginerd - 2009-04-20 11:14 AM Hope everyone had a great weekend.  let's get back to our QOTD this week. 

Well I have had a few.  Two years ago had a bad incident of shin splints and see to have that every season till my muscles build up.  A year ago I had really bad problems with ITBS and ended up having to work with a physical therapist to heal and prevent future issues with it.  Both took a very long time to heal, close to 4 or 5 months, but I also learned training methods like water walking and loving biking and swimming to fill my time when I needed to be off the roads.  I haven't had any serious problems so far this year but I have been so careful with building up and not overdoing any training.

2009-04-20 10:09 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

enginerd - 2009-04-20 9:14 AM Hope everyone had a great weekend.  let's get back to our QOTD this week. 

I am not sure if I can classify my lower back injury as an overuse injury, but it had to do with running for sure. It turns out that I have exteremely tight hamstrings. As over time, I did not strech them well enough, they got so tight such, that they were pulling me pelvis. This caused me secer lower back pains with various side effects of pain shooting down one leg, inability to walk straight, not to mention running. The worst part was to stop training. It was very frustrating in the begining, but over time, I learned how to make the most out of it. I kept on swimming. I had to use pull buoy - but was was better than nothing. I gave up on running and cycling for about 5 months. I went through chiropractors, MDs, PT and what not. What really seemed to have worked for me the best, was Yoga. Since then, I follow a Yoga class one a week. I learned to stretch a lot focusing on my hamstrings. I feel much better since then. I resumed running and had to start almost from square one - but that sense of painless mobility was priceless. Ever since, my first priority is staying injury free while training and while racing.

2009-04-20 11:46 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB
enginerd - 2009-04-20 10:14 AM Hope everyone had a great weekend.  let's get back to our QOTD this week. 

A few years ago, I had this thought that it might be fun to do 2 runs a day to increase my mileage. I got a little overzealous and too much too fast led to a stress fracture. By the time I got to the sports doc and ordered an MRI to confirm it, I had already backed off and headed to the pool for some water running and sat on the trainer to log some miles. With 4 wks before the marathon (my sister's first that I had already promised to run with her), I got the reluctant go ahead from the doc.

All told, I was probably off the road for about 6 weeks- but a decent base combined with the water running (boring!!!!) and 3 hr trainer rides (ugh) led to one of my favourite marathon experiences. If you ever have the opportunity to enjoy a race with a sibling, I strongly recommend it!
2009-04-21 11:02 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Nothing too serious yet, but working on it.  I did have shin splints a year ago, had to take a couple weeks off.  I then got The Stick to abuse those shins and started taking cold baths (not quite ice) after runs of longer than 9 miles.  I have not had any reoccurances. I worry about my shoulder from swimming and my neck from swimming and biking, but we shall see. 

Any tricks for how to stay aero for 4 -6 hours without your neck, back and but killing you?

On a side note I got a swimming lesson yesterday.  It turns out well that my form sucks even though I had finally gotten 200's down to 1:44.  It turns out my arms are too wide, not high enough elbow, hand leave the water too soon by my hip and enters the water too soon by my head, that my pull doesn't use a funky S pattern and that my poorly instructed TI kick needs to be entirely scrapped with a new flutter kick.  I will also be working on breathing on my weak side as I never actually learned that.  I got to start with 1:45:xx of the same drill lastnight and needing to rest every 25 yards from adding the kick to the funky drill stroke.  Sigh.    
2009-04-21 12:30 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
for the IT geeks in the group, I'm at the RSA security conference this week. fun, fun, fun.
2009-04-21 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2099816

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB
Baowolf - 2009-04-21 10:02 AM
Any tricks for how to stay aero for 4 -6 hours without your neck, back and but killing you?

On a side note I got a swimming lesson yesterday.  It turns out well that my form sucks even though I had finally gotten 200's down to 1:44.  It turns out my arms are too wide, not high enough elbow, hand leave the water too soon by my hip and enters the water too soon by my head, that my pull doesn't use a funky S pattern and that my poorly instructed TI kick needs to be entirely scrapped with a new flutter kick.  I will also be working on breathing on my weak side as I never actually learned that.  I got to start with 1:45:xx of the same drill lastnight and needing to rest every 25 yards from adding the kick to the funky drill stroke.  Sigh.    

I have yet to be on aero for that long so I too am interested in what others have to say. My instinct about butt is to investigate a different seat, and for the back, to look at doing some more core strengthening work. You might also look at getting a professional do a bike fit for you.

In terms of the swim....very cool that you got some great feedback! Where did you get the lesson/feedback? I can only imagine just how fast you will be once you make some alterations to your stroke!

2009-04-21 1:29 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
The bike is professionally fit and I have the adamo seat, so probly not gona get much better there.  It is mostly the neck and back near there from looking up and forward all that time.  Maybe there are some kind of stretches to help with the neck?  I am sure that putting in another couple thousand miles won't hurt either for resiliency.   

I am currently doing weekly core exercizes and don't feel I can really increase those at the moment without cutting back on other training in SBR to recover.

I stumbled across a level 3 swim coach (whatever that means) who has done IM races and such.  As far as speed goes, I  actually anticpiate speed and endurance hits for many months until I can develop the fitness for the flutter kick thing.  It will probably be a full year before I see time improvements.  Too bad my lasat 300,000 yards were not done using something close to good form 8(.  One of the down sides of being 100 + miles from anything civilized like coaching, a pool, a shoe store or bike shops.     

This is just one of those one step forward, 2 steps back kind of weeks.
2009-04-21 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2100237

User image

Master
San Francisco
run_yc_run - 2009-04-21 11:11 AM
I have yet to be on aero for that long so I too am interested in what others have to say. My instinct about butt is to investigate a different seat, and for the back, to look at doing some more core strengthening work. You might also look at getting a professional do a bike fit for you.

I'll just tack on to what Yvonne said.  Fit is always a good start.

For neck, it definitely takes time in the saddle to get your neck used to being in this position for a long time.  What does a head weigh, 12 lbs or so, and using neck muscles that haven't had to hold it up like that definitely takes time to get used to.  I still couldn't hold my head in that position the whole time so i likely will never use an aero helmet.

For butt, the obvious things are the actual saddle and shorts.  When I do regular training rides/centuries, I'm wearing the new desoto 400 mile cycling bibs which have a thick pad on them - never been more comfortable.  In an IM distance race, I pull on an extra pair of shorts over my tri shorts for the bike.  I recommend testing this out before racing because the extra layer (even the padding) may adjust your seat position ever so slightly.

For the back, core strength will probably help.  I started doing pilates before doing my first IM.  Continued again with that this year and it seems to have helped.
2009-04-21 1:48 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
enginerd - 2009-04-20 9:14 AM

To answer my own QOTD, I've had a few.

When I attempted my first 50 mile trail race two decembers ago, it was on a very hilly course (about 9000' elevation).  My knees and hips became very sore.  My shin and knee became so painful on every downhill step that I eventually DNF'd at mile 44 even though I was already in the home stretch after having done 8000' of elevation.  But I didn't know what was going on at the time so decided brevity was the better part of valor.  Saw a sports doc who prescribed various increasing strength excercises for me.

early last year, I had a calf tear on my first run with my Newtons.  Thought I'd try to do my normal neighborhood run (which includes hills).  About 3.5 miles into it on a downhill stretch, I felt a big pain in my calf and walked/limped back home.  Went to the sports doc and she prescribed PT  Had a lot of ART done.  Lot of calf strengthening and stretching excercises over a period of time.  No running for awhile, but was able to cycle okay.

Last December, after successfully completing the 50 mile race that I had DNFd the year before, I had a dull pain in my right ankle.  I laid off of running.  i still have it, but it doesn't effect my gait at all so I've just learned to live with this minor pain as a new reaility.
2009-04-21 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2085169

User image

Nor*Cal
Subject: RE: enginerd's geek heaven - OPEN

enginerd - 2009-04-14 9:24 PM
Atak Kat - 2009-04-14 8:56 PM Darn it! Missed getting in on this group again. Oh well, guess I'll just stalk lurk this thread like last year. See ya at WF, Donato! -ak-

Hey Joel.  We just started the group.  You're welcome to join if you like!

ME: Atak Kat/Joel

STORY: Born,raised, and living on the San Francisco Peninsula. Sometime in 2003 I decided to quit smoking after 10 years of it and needed something else to keep me busy. Started with an occasional spin class. Got bored and found a duathlon (run-bike-run). Got hooked into the active lifestyle and joined a Team-in-training group in 2005 for my first triathlon (Wilfdlower). Haven't looked back since.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 3 kids, and one very hyper Jack Russell Terrier.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm doing something new and working with a triathlon coach this year. We started in March, workouts 6 days a week. Simple swim/bike/run workouts+bricks plus a core/stretch class thrown in once or twice a week.

2008 RACES: Wildflower (Olympic), Escape from Alcatraz, Vineman (70.3), SF Marathon, Big Kahuna (70.3), IM Florida.

2009 RACES:  SF/Kaiser Half Marathon, Santa Cruz Half Marathon, Wildflower (70.3), Vineman 70.3 (waitlisted), IM Canada.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost 30lbs since I've started doing triathlons, but could use to lose a few more.

Oh, and I've had the pleasure of meeting Enginerd at a local tri a few years ago.

[edit - completed IM Florida in 2008]

Edited by Atak Kat 2009-04-22 10:45 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's geek heaven - FULL Rss Feed  

of 27