BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Trishie's Tri Chicks - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2010-01-30 7:47 PM
in reply to: #2641128

Regular
Subject: RE: Trishie's Tri Chicks - CLOSED!
trishie - 2010-01-28 5:31 PM Just some housekeeping --- these are the fabulous tri ladies that are still 'active' in the group:

and I'm missing mailing addresses from Erika and Tania (sorry, Tania - I accidently deleted your PM - d'oh!)

I replied to your message Trishie!

I have been MIA for the last week due to being busy and being sick.  But I'm back now and in full swing.  Good thing last week was my taper week!  I'm stepping up my workouts from the 2X Sprint basic to the 3X Sprint basic starting Sunday.

I bought a road bike and the hub and I are going to put it together tomorrow (YAY!).

Good luck to all my girls and I can't wait to see what this week brings.

BRING IT!!!!

Tania

2010-01-30 11:11 PM
in reply to: #2644994

User image

Pro
Burbs
waltontl - 2010-01-30 8:47 PM
trishie - 2010-01-28 5:31 PM Just some housekeeping --- these are the fabulous tri ladies that are still 'active' in the group:

and I'm missing mailing addresses from Erika and Tania (sorry, Tania - I accidently deleted your PM - d'oh!)

I replied to your message Trishie!

I have been MIA for the last week due to being busy and being sick.  But I'm back now and in full swing.  Good thing last week was my taper week!  I'm stepping up my workouts from the 2X Sprint basic to the 3X Sprint basic starting Sunday.

I bought a road bike and the hub and I are going to put it together tomorrow (YAY!).

Good luck to all my girls and I can't wait to see what this week brings.

BRING IT!!!!

Tania

Got it -- thanks girlie !

What bike did you get ??

Glad you're doing better and are ready for a kickass week
2010-01-31 11:32 AM
in reply to: #2576738

Trish.... order it from tyr.com and still waiting for it's arrival   Was hoping to get it before the weekend to use but it didn't arrive.  Soooooooo we'll see as I'm sure when it arrives I'll quickly yank it out of the box and see how it is fitting.  I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope it's long enough. 

Hope everyone had a great weekend!!!! It's been so cold here that it makes me wanna crawl under a blanket and be cozy all day.  However no time for that as I'm preparing for the huge career day on Thurs for work andwill be so happy when that is over!  Everybody keep kicking butt! 
Tara
2010-01-31 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2642226

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
I am still here...

Blech, been sick since Friday night, laying low.

All of you fierce warrior women inspire me-- evenif it's from the couch with my box of tissues, Yogi Coldcare Tea and blankie

No workouts this weekend. I hate being sick.

Trishie: "what do you do for a living?" Corporate VP/CFP Financial Services Firm. Sounds fancy, but really at the end of the day, I just help people with money manage their investments and finances. Which involves a lot of client and biz events at night and being at the office early each day to keep an eye on the darn markets  

Back to the couch,
Pamela
2010-01-31 5:07 PM
in reply to: #2645250

Regular

What bike did you get ??

I went with bikesdirect.com and got a Mercier Elle Elite.  I hope it's as good as they say it is.  I really don't know what I'm doing and didn't want to spend a lot of money if I end up not doing tris past this year.  It was several hundreds of dollars cheaper than than the 'entry level' road bikes at a couple of LBS.

Had a pretty good swim today - I tried to just relax and slow down a bit and it felt good.  Then my bike ride was hurty but good too!

Have a good week everyone!

Tania
2010-01-31 5:12 PM
in reply to: #2641306

Regular
stefanier - 2010-01-28 7:22 PM What do each of you for fitness nutrition? (IE what are you using for calories and nutrition while you exercise? Infinit, Hammer, Gels, Shot Bloks, Food)

Hi Stef!

I use Nitro Core 24 protein shakes occasionally after my workouts.  I use FRS during my longer workouts.  I love that stuff!  It tastes good, only has a few calories and is B vitamins, so there isn't any shakiness.

Tania

2010-02-01 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Hello Gang!

Race went well this weekend. I am hoping to have an official race report with pictures on the blog by tomorrow but here is the skinny.

This was Half Marathon #9. Half Marathon #8 in November 2009 was my "A" race and I set a PR by 26 minutes (2:39:17) Goal for this race was to finish happy and be injury free!

Bad News: I didn't beat my PR

Good News: I really wasnt expecting to beat my PR or get anywhere near it. Since my "A" race I have done a whole lot of nothing. I ran an accidental marathon, took 3 weeks off and until 2 weeks ago my training was sporatic at best.

Finishing time- 2:40:38, 7th in my age group.
That is only a 1:11 behind my PR. How flipping fantastic is that?!?!?  I consider this a great result. My run training prior to this race was just OK. I did 3 "long" runs prior of 5, 6 and 7 miles with shorter runs in between. This officially lets me know that my PR back in November wasn't just a fluke, that I am actually making great run progress.

I am still a long way from being "fast" and being competitive in my age group but any progress is fine with me!

Today is a glorious rest day! And for that I am super happy!
2010-02-01 8:49 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Stef: congrats on the kickass race ! only 1:11 off of your PR and you only wanted to finish and be injury free .. I think that rocks. Enjoy your rest day - you have certainly earned it

Tara: hope the tri suit comes quickly and fits well. I know all about ripping things out of boxes to try them on as soon as they arrive It's so chilly here too and I am SO FLIPPING READY for SPRING !

Pamela: (((()))))) Feel better! Rest up ... how are you feeling today ?

Tania: Good luck with the new bike ! and enjoy it !

This weekend I got in two runs... on Saturday I went for a 5.5 mile trail run with some of the Maryland BTers - it was great fun ! trail running will kick your butt but it's so much fun and pretty

what's on tap for this week?
me: more running !

what's on tap for this week ladies?
2010-02-01 11:09 AM

sounds like it's cold season for our group!  i think i managed to stave off a bug myself, last week.  grr, winter.

a minor cold isn't the only bug i caught last week...i'm also now officially addicted to winter cycling!  last year i only rode when it was above 50 degrees or so.  but, a new friend of mine used to be a pro cyclist and has been taking me out for rides on weekends, after sending me to his friend's bike shop and getting me outfitted with the nicest-quality cold-weather apparel they had to offer.  and let me tell you, it is GREAT to be outside.  i can't quite hang with him on the below-freezing days (he went for a 4-hour ride in 25-degree weather...me, not so much), but it makes SUCH a difference to be able to actually RIDE again, versus always slogging it out on the trainer or in spin class.

so, that's my plug of the week.  spend a little money, buy some warm cycling gear, and get outside.  it could very well make your month. 

on tap for this week: getting back in the groove, and trying not to push myself too hard post-sicky-ickies.  also, more sleep.  setting a 10:30 bedtime for myself all week, and sticking to it!

2010-02-01 5:31 PM
in reply to: #2647464

User image

Pro
Burbs
IronDiva - 2010-02-01 12:09 PM

sounds like it's cold season for our group!  i think i managed to stave off a bug myself, last week.  grr, winter.

a minor cold isn't the only bug i caught last week...i'm also now officially addicted to winter cycling!  last year i only rode when it was above 50 degrees or so.  but, a new friend of mine used to be a pro cyclist and has been taking me out for rides on weekends, after sending me to his friend's bike shop and getting me outfitted with the nicest-quality cold-weather apparel they had to offer.  and let me tell you, it is GREAT to be outside.  i can't quite hang with him on the below-freezing days (he went for a 4-hour ride in 25-degree weather...me, not so much), but it makes SUCH a difference to be able to actually RIDE again, versus always slogging it out on the trainer or in spin class.

so, that's my plug of the week.  spend a little money, buy some warm cycling gear, and get outside.  it could very well make your month. 

on tap for this week: getting back in the groove, and trying not to push myself too hard post-sicky-ickies.  also, more sleep.  setting a 10:30 bedtime for myself all week, and sticking to it!

That's awesome ! I love being outside... it's SO much better than the t-mill/ trainer.
What would be superduper awesome is if I had very easy access to OW (I'm about 50 min away from Sandy Point Beach, which is on the Chesepeake Bay...and you need buddies for OWS...)

Enjoy it and get to bed early, young lady !
2010-02-01 9:18 PM
in reply to: #2646987

Regular

I am stepping it up from the 2X program to the 3X program.  This incorporates a medium run, bike, and swim into the program.  I think I'll do sprint intervals for my medium run, because my tris in 2010 have flat run courses.  But what should my goals for my medium swim and bike be - any thoughts?  I'm thinking hills for the bike because my first tri has a hilly course.

Thanks!

Tania

2010-02-02 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2648937

Tania- I'm not quite sure what your skill level is for the swim, but i would think good "medium" level workouts for any discipline would involve some interval work.  in the pool you could do 10x100 meter repeats with :20 rest between each 100, or do them on a time interval (go every 2:30 or whatever).  or start with 5x100, and add on from there.  i do these a lot, and it's fun to see yourself get faster.  plus, it hurts so good. 

another fun one is a ladder: swim 100, 200, 300, 400, 300, 200, 100.  or as high/low as you want, depending on your time/distance goals for the day.  try to match your tempo for each distance (so if you did the 100 in 2:10, shoot for 4:20 for the 200, 6:30 for the 300, etc.) OR try to negative-split, AND/OR try to neg-split on the way back down.  mix it up depending on how hard you want to go. 

third idea is any distance of 50 fast/50 easy.  it teaches your body to actively recover while you're swimming, as opposed to catching your breath on the wall.

although i am in no means an expert swimmer, i do know a lot of fun workouts that are easy to do in the pool, so give a shout if you need more ideas!
2010-02-03 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2648937

User image

Pro
Burbs
waltontl - 2010-02-01 10:18 PM

I am stepping it up from the 2X program to the 3X program.  This incorporates a medium run, bike, and swim into the program.  I think I'll do sprint intervals for my medium run, because my tris in 2010 have flat run courses.  But what should my goals for my medium swim and bike be - any thoughts?  I'm thinking hills for the bike because my first tri has a hilly course.

Thanks!

Tania

Tania,

Are you following any of the BT programs?  They should have the lengths/ times for each of the sports listed in each workout.
(or are you asking something else? sorry, I'm confused !Embarassed)

oh, and definitely try to train on terrain similar to what you will race on ! It's sometimes not possible but if it is, then it's the best way to go
2010-02-03 9:04 PM
in reply to: #2652657

Regular

Tania,

Are you following any of the BT programs?  They should have the lengths/ times for each of the sports listed in each workout.
(or are you asking something else? sorry, I'm confused !Embarassed)

oh, and definitely try to train on terrain similar to what you will race on ! It's sometimes not possible but if it is, then it's the best way to go

I'm using the BT 3X Sprint training plan.  They have the times for all the workouts but for the short and long distance workouts they give advice (short = fast, long = easy).  I'll re-read it but I don't rememer them stating goals for the medium distance workouts.

My first tri is right down the road from my house so I can run and bike the race route everyday if I want!  Definitely bonus!

What's everyone else up to?

Tania
2010-02-04 7:54 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Steph - Congrats on the race results!  At least someone is racing during the winter!  I haven't raced in nearly 2 months, and I'm ready for the season to begin!  Actually, now that I think about it, my first race (5K) is only 1 month away; so the season is fast approaching!

I've been staying true to my HIM plan and squeezing in a bit of stength and yoga along the way. 

My focus has been to make myself breath bilaterally in the swim.  I've tried it on and off a few times, but I haven't really stuck with it.  So now I'm working on breathing to my non-dominant side for every breath on a few laps, then switch to bilateral.  If I'm going slow, I feel fairly comfortable with it.  I just need to get comfortable enough to speed up and still do bilateral.

So how many of ya'll use bilateral breathing, or do you breath to one side?
2010-02-04 8:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Maria, I breathe bilaterally. I know it sounds strange but it was the way I learned. (Growing up in Florida, I have been in the pool since I was in diapers) However I do know the struggles with learning to breathe bilaterally. I can tell you that breathing to the right side is much more comfortable for me than then left Side. I find that I tend to strain my right arm reaching forward when I breath on the left side. I am consistently trying to find a good balance on both sides.

The funny thing for me is, during races I do not breathe bilaterally. For some reason there is a switch that just automatically goes to breathing on my right side only. I know it is because I am puching harder and need to breathe more often. My stuggle this season will be breathing bilaterally during races. I would really like to push myself to do it because I know for the HIM, I will need to slow down a bit and breathe bilaterally. I won't be able to keep up right side breathing for the swim and then expect my arm to like me on the bike LOL.

2010-02-04 6:13 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Stef, I am so impressed that you can breathe bilaterally! I cannot do it... I used to practice but I wasn't that digilent about it, and breathing on my left still feels wrong, weird, and just "off." I think BB is helpful for OWS... if the sun is in your eyes or waves are crashing at you, it would be so useful to be able to use either side to breathe.

I thought maybe we could share inspirational quotes/ pictures/ poems ?

some of my favs:

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. T.S. Eliot

listen to the MUSN'TS, child
listen to the DON'TS
listen to the SHOULDN'TS-
the IMPOSSIBLES-
the WON'TS.
listen to the NEVER HAVES
then listen close to me.
anything can happen, child, ANYTHING can be.
Shel Silverstein.

2010-02-05 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Here is one of my favorites. This is posted on the window of a North Face Store (I forget which one)

The best advice I can give for BB is to keep practicing and occationally force yourself to breath only to that side. It is something good to practice at every swim training. Swim a few laps by just breathing to your less dominate side. I have noticed that when you only breathe to one side, most people dont swim straight and in open water that makes sighting harder. (Ie if you are only breathing to your right side, most people tend to drift to their left because they are pushing away from the right while they breathe)
2010-02-05 3:01 PM

i fully agree on the BB.  my first tri swim, i was in a really large wave with a strong current, and couldn't get my breathing together from being so nervous.  breathing on both sides totally saved my swim leg. 

i taught myself how to do it.  i started with a pull buoy and focused on an even hip rotation for each stroke, then slowly integrated the "weird side" breathing into it.  if your hips are rolling enough, it becomes a natural movement.  it took me a few months but now it feels pretty comfortable, and really helps me sloooooow doooooown at race time.  (no matter what i do, though, i can't swim in a straight line to save my life!)
2010-02-05 6:06 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
You all are inspiring me to give bilateral breathing another chance ! I think my problem is that I have trouble rolling my body to breathe on my non dominant side.

What's on tap for everyone this weekend?

I did a 10 mile run this morning, and hope to run tomorrow... although if it's 25+ inches of snow it's going to be an interesting run ! Tongue out
2010-02-05 7:37 PM
in reply to: #2657944

Regular

I am brand new to swimming (OK, I've always known how to swim but you know what I mean) and you all have inspired me to start building BB into my routines now so I don't learn bad habits.  I breathe on my non-dominant side when I'm in the shallow end (so I can stand up if I inhale a lungful of water) and on my dominant side when I'm in the deeper water.  I had such a good swim today - I did a (relatively) non-stop 600!!!  I know that doesn't seem like a lot tp you lot, but this is so huge to me.  I am so amazed that, as I continue to challenge myself, milestones that used to be so daunting just fall by the wayside.  It makes me wonder what my actual limits are!

Good luck to all my friends in the "snow zone" this weekend!  I'm off to the UK tomorrow but I'll try to post my training achievements while I'm there.  I'll be back Friday afternoon.

Tania

2010-02-06 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2658081

User image

Pro
Burbs
waltontl - 2010-02-05 8:37 PM

I am brand new to swimming (OK, I've always known how to swim but you know what I mean) and you all have inspired me to start building BB into my routines now so I don't learn bad habits.  I breathe on my non-dominant side when I'm in the shallow end (so I can stand up if I inhale a lungful of water) and on my dominant side when I'm in the deeper water.  I had such a good swim today - I did a (relatively) non-stop 600!!!  I know that doesn't seem like a lot tp you lot, but this is so huge to me.  I am so amazed that, as I continue to challenge myself, milestones that used to be so daunting just fall by the wayside.  It makes me wonder what my actual limits are!

Good luck to all my friends in the "snow zone" this weekend!  I'm off to the UK tomorrow but I'll try to post my training achievements while I'm there.  I'll be back Friday afternoon.

Tania

Tania --- way go go on the 600 non-stop ! And - NEVER QUALIFY YOUR ACHEIVEMENTS ! You did something you never did before, and how far everyone else in the world can swim is immaterial ! Rock on girlie!! and save travels !

I'm stuck inside and going stir crazy... we have about 30 inches and it hasn't stopped yet. Can't run, can't swim (gym closed, car snowed in), and can't bike --- my bike shoes are at the bike store! (when I picked up my bike after Cozy I didn't get back everything else in the bike box). GRRRR, GRRRRR, and GRRRRRR.

Where is spring ?!
2010-02-07 7:30 AM

Hello Ladies.... Hope everyone has had a good weekend... We were blasted with snow and had no power for about 26 hours so no working out yesterday! Hoping to get to the gym for training today! Got my tri bottoms and top and oh my! TIGHT is all I can say! UNBELIEVABLY TIGHT! for that matter! I have 30 days to decide so we'll see. They are very cute I must say just ummmmmmmm again tight! Everyone have a great day!Tara
2010-02-07 6:09 PM
in reply to: #2659526

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
Hey gang,

Up at Mammoth Mountain, CA for a ski weekend where we have also recieved about three feet of snow in the last two days but it's welcome here.

Still under the weather but on the mend. Flu/influenza hit me hard. Skiied about an hour yesterday, but slept until noon today still congested and under the weather. Congestion and altitude (7500-9000 feet) do not mix, wicked sinus headache. I am hoping to ski tomorrow.

Being sick sucks.

Pamela
2010-02-08 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Pamela, I feel ya on the being sick. It does suck.

I slept for 12 hours on Friday Night and 12 hours on Saturday Night. Last night I actually only slept for 8 hours and am planning on turning in early every night this week. I am past the feeling cruddy part for the moment. Now  am on to the congested, sounds like a frog stage. Luckily though I feel well enough to workout so that is a perk. I am not going to push it and I am going to avoid swimming until it clears. Hopefully I will still be feeling well by 5:30pm and can catch the spin class. I have a 12K race this weekend that I am doing just for fun and am hoping I am complete well by then.

Tara, Tri clothing should be tight because you don't want drag but if your clothing is feeling uncomfortably tight I would try a size larger. I know when I was first looking for a tri suit, I must have tried on 5 or 6 different bottoms and like 10 or so different tops. I was a different size in each brand ranging from medium to XL. I would say definitely don't get stuck on the size for tri clothing because I find it all to be "off". Just go with what feels good. What brands did you get. I love buying new tri clothing. I really want a new tri top because all of my race pictures are starting to look alike!

Edited by stefanier 2010-02-08 8:27 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Trishie's Tri Chicks - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 12