General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-03-26 9:59 PM
in reply to: #3413090

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: RE: Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread

Kansastriguy - 2011-03-24 5:58 PM Has anybody donned their wetsuit in any area Kansas (or other midwest region) lakes yet? I just bought my first wetsuit and I'm dying to try it but afraid of freezing my face off.  Went with the Xterra Vortex 3 fullsuit thanks to their 60% off coupon.  $400 fullsuit for $159.  The coupon code is VAULT if you're looking for a good deal on a great entry level suit.  I think the promo is good through end of March, so time is running out.

A bit warmer down here in Texas... tomorrow after the Cap 10K, a few of us are doing an OWS at an area lake... will try to get in a couple more this coming week, ahead of LoneStar 70.3.

2011-03-27 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3267289

User image

Regular
Indiana
Thanks CJKelly. I will for sure check out that website. I think at this point I need to purchase one. It's been tough to get out and go on the bike. Plus if I ever want to do a full IM (dream race) I will need to get one.
2011-03-30 2:12 PM
in reply to: #3416737

User image

New user

Dublin, CA
Hey everyone.  I followed a link to this thread from ST.  I will being coming out to KS from CA for the race.  I went to KU and I am very, very familiar with the town and courses.  If you have questions feel free to ask.  I am staying in town at a friends house.  I will be in Wed - Monday then Im off to Buffalo Springs.  I plan to go out on Mass St. after the race if anyone wants to enjoy Lawrence without a crazy student population.
2011-03-30 2:57 PM

User image

Hi guys, I'm coming from NYC for this race -- any tips for race morning logistics?  I'm staying at a hotel close to the lake, but don't know what to plan for regarding race morning schedule ... my parents will be camping / RV'ing so figured I'd park the rental car at their campsite, but don't know what time the campsite is closed to traffic on race morning.  Also, since bike check-in is day before, other than transition set up, what else should I plan to encounter?
2011-03-30 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3422081

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

krash478 - 2011-03-30 2:57 PM Hi guys, I'm coming from NYC for this race -- any tips for race morning logistics?  I'm staying at a hotel close to the lake, but don't know what to plan for regarding race morning schedule ... my parents will be camping / RV'ing so figured I'd park the rental car at their campsite, but don't know what time the campsite is closed to traffic on race morning.  Also, since bike check-in is day before, other than transition set up, what else should I plan to encounter?

A hotel close to the lake? Hmmm in Lawrence I assume? The race site is about a 15-min drive from town, and I would expect to encounter a boatload of traffic. Well, you're from New York so maybe that will be normal for you Tongue out

I would not assume you can drive your car anywhere but the designated parking lots on race morning. And I believe they are far enough away that they provide buses back and forth. Might want to email the race directors on that one.

If it were me, I'd just stay with the 'rents in the RV the night before

2011-03-30 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3422081

User image

Veteran

krash478 - 2011-03-30 2:57 PM Hi guys, I'm coming from NYC for this race -- any tips for race morning logistics?  I'm staying at a hotel close to the lake, but don't know what to plan for regarding race morning schedule ... my parents will be camping / RV'ing so figured I'd park the rental car at their campsite, but don't know what time the campsite is closed to traffic on race morning.  Also, since bike check-in is day before, other than transition set up, what else should I plan to encounter?

Agree with Lisa here...just stay in the RV or throw up a tent at their site.  I don't think they allow any traffic into the campground that morning.  My family was in a hotel last year and I think it took them almost two hours to get through the gate and to the swim start on race morning even with the shuttle.  It seems like they closed the transition area pretty early as well.

2011-03-30 4:23 PM

User image

Thanks, I guess the question comes down to --- how do all the racers who don't stay at the campground the night before get to transition/race area on race morning? 

Sounds like they park in the parking lot and take event provided shuttle buses into the campgrounds?  We're staying at the Quality Inn (just needed a bed for the night ... 'rents RV is not the most comfortable) at 801 Iowa Street.... google says hotel is 9 miles from race area.  How much time should I plan for drive/transport to race area/transition set up (since T1 & T2 are apart)?

Thanks for the help!

2011-03-30 4:31 PM

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
Hey all, I'm not competing this year but I just signed up to volunteer.  I'll be waving from one of the kayaks.  Best of luck to all of you, hope the training is going well.
2011-03-31 7:18 AM
in reply to: #3422284

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL

LGraff - 2011-03-30 4:31 PM Hey all, I'm not competing this year but I just signed up to volunteer.  I'll be waving from one of the kayaks.  Best of luck to all of you, hope the training is going well.

Thanks for volunteering. 

Hopefully, you don't have to redirect me on the swim course.  I have had sighting issuesLaughing.

2011-03-31 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
Last two years, so long as you had a reseved camp site and a parking pass, you could drive in that morning to your spot. I did this both years.  However, you must be there by 5:30 a.m. otherwise you will be parking in the general parking area for athletes. 
2011-03-31 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3422183

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas

kjivie - 2011-03-30 3:43 PM Agree with Lisa here...just stay in the RV or throw up a tent at their site.  I don't think they allow any traffic into the campground that morning.  My family was in a hotel last year and I think it took them almost two hours to get through the gate and to the swim start on race morning even with the shuttle.  It seems like they closed the transition area pretty early as well.

That's some good info.  I'm staying at Spring Hill Inn and Suites at Riverfront Plaza.  I'm thinking bout draggin the Wifey outta bed early and driving me to Transition Area when it opens.  You talked about a Shuttle.  Would it be easy for us to drive and find a place to park since we have our own car?

And a Newbie question.  I juyst saw the schedule on the web-site.  I take it we check our bikes in the day prior and leave them there overnight?

2011-03-31 10:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
Nevermind bout the bike question. Just reading last years athlete guide.  Gonna be nice not having to lug bike around the morning of
2011-03-31 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3423308

User image

Veteran
The shuttle was just from the parking lot (campground 2 I think) to T2.  It sounds like driving in before 5:30 is the way to go if you don't camp overnight....but camping is still the way to go!!
2011-04-04 11:35 AM

New user

Hutchinson, KS

Hey BT Gang! 10 weeks to go! Woo hoo!

How is your training going?  Let's share what we're doing, when we do it, distances we're covering, any other info/tips.  Good to have some comparisons with other BT'ers at this stage in the training plan.

On Saturday I swam 2,500 yds followed by 15 mile run.  Sunday rode 3 hrs in 30 mph Kansas wind - that's how we flatlanders train for hills. We had record breaking heat yesterday (4/3/11) - 95 degrees F - so I went to the lake and tried my new wetsuit.  Water temp was 56 degrees F so I didn't swim long...feet, hands and face started to go numb.  Basically wanted to see how wetsuit felt being that it is my first one.  I'm gonna love it.  Enjoyed the kid's reaction to dad in a wetsuit.  Also enjoyed watching kids faces as they jumped from 95 degree air temp from dock into 56 degree icewater.  Priceless.

I've been pretty impressed with EOS Myoplex (42 g protein) post workout.  Minimal soreness/inflammation, feel fully recovered for next day's workout. Averaging about 6-7 hrs of sleep per night, which isn't enough, but it's about all I can get with all of life's other duties.

Are you doing any races as part of your training plan? I'm planning to enter the Wichita half marathon on May 1. I did an indoor sprint tri at a local YMCA last weekend and a 10k race for St. Patty's Day.  So far the 46-year-old body is handling it.

Happy training!

2011-04-04 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3428863

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL

Took 1:50 to ride 30 miles with hills and wind (15-25 mph) on Saturday.  Followed that with a short 3.8 mile run.  I wore my new trisuit and now have a wonderful tan line.  Actually, it's more of a burn than a tan.

Ran 10.83 hilly miles yesterday in the heat and gusty winds (25-40mph)  in 1:45.  Felt a twinge in the right calf muscle after mile 9.  Feels better today. 

I was supposed to swim this morning, but the pool was closed due to lightning. 

I'm taking the bike to the shop tonight for its annual tune up.  I should be able to pick it up tomorrow evening and be back on the road on Wednesday.

I'm currently trying to use the BT 1/2 IM training program.  I have a 5k scheduled for May 14th and an oly tri for May 22.

Edited by Gmax101098 2011-04-04 2:19 PM
2011-04-04 3:49 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Kansastriguy - 2011-04-04 11:35 AM

Are you doing any races as part of your training plan? I'm planning to enter the Wichita half marathon on May 1. I did an indoor sprint tri at a local YMCA last weekend and a 10k race for St. Patty's Day.  So far the 46-year-old body is handling it.

Happy training!

Ha! I did an indoor YMCA tri last weekend and a 10K St Pattys race, too!
This race will really be my first of the season - it's a stepping stone on the way to IM Louisville, not much actual racing for me this season.

I am doing a 60-mile charity ride (Tour de Cure for ADA) on May 21.
I might do a trail half marathon on Easter Weekend.

Other than that, just waiting for it to get warm enough WITHOUT 40mph winds to ride outdoors

2011-04-04 4:11 PM

User image

Regular
Indiana
My swimming is great. The best of all the legs. I do anywhere from 2500-5000 a day...3-4 days a week. My running was coming along great for awhile....up to 10.5 miles but then I got sick and we had a death in the family so the last 2-3 weeks hasn't been great for long runs. My biking is a different story. Barely been on the bike except for spin classes. I'm buying a bike trainer this week and hitting it hard. It's just very hard to get out for 3 hours with little kids and this weather has sucked. It is cold, rainy and windy here today. I am doing a Half Marathon on April 30 (my first running race ever). I'm going to try and get in a sprint tri before Kansas. Hard to believe only 10 weeks to go. Keep up the good work everyone. (BTW, just got my new wetsuit in the mail yesterday).
2011-04-04 6:11 PM
in reply to: #3429225

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
Gmax101098 - 2011-04-04 2:17 PM

I was supposed to swim this morning, but the pool was closed due to lightning.

No kidding?  Our was as well here in Arkansas.  I was not a happy camper

2011-04-04 6:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
Kansastriguy - 2011-04-04 11:35 AM

I just did my 7th event of the year so far (10K).  I have a bunch more before the race, but some are as simple as a 5k.  I'm doing my 3rd half-marathon the week after next and I have a Du then a sprint Tri on back to back days the end of this month.

Training could be better, but I was a lot busier than normal the end of last week, and of course the pool being closed today sucked.

2011-04-04 6:17 PM

New user

Hutchinson, KS

YAY! New wetsuit! Which one did you get?  I got new Shimano bike shoes/pedals last weekend.  Saying goodbye to the toe straps forever.

LisaC957 - The indoor tri I did last weekend was the Andover Y indoor tri, and the 10k St. Pat's run was in Hutchinson.  There was a St. Patty's Day run in Wichita, too, but I think it was only 5K.  Matt Morrow (Wichita tri standout) was in Hutch because he wanted to go longer than 5K.  I would have won had he stayed home.

2011-04-04 6:19 PM
in reply to: #3429412

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas

Debbie - 2011-04-04 4:11 PM My swimming is great. The best of all the legs. I do anywhere from 2500-5000 a day...3-4 days a week. My running was coming along great for awhile....up to 10.5 miles but then I got sick and we had a death in the family so the last 2-3 weeks hasn't been great for long runs. My biking is a different story. Barely been on the bike except for spin classes. I'm buying a bike trainer this week and hitting it hard. It's just very hard to get out for 3 hours with little kids and this weather has sucked. It is cold, rainy and windy here today. I am doing a Half Marathon on April 30 (my first running race ever). I'm going to try and get in a sprint tri before Kansas. Hard to believe only 10 weeks to go. Keep up the good work everyone. (BTW, just got my new wetsuit in the mail yesterday).

Sorry bout your loss..

What trainer did you end up getting?

Enjoy the Half-Marathon!

NOW WETSUITS...

I don't own one, nor am planning on using one for the race.  How many people here are planning on using one for the Kansas Race?

2011-04-04 7:25 PM

User image

Regular
Indiana
Thanks Pitbulzz.

I haven't got the bike trainer yet. My bike has been in the shop for almost 2 weeks. Aerobars and tune up was done in a day.....just waiting for my pedals to come in (Red Speedplay Zeros Stainless Steel). Hope they are good. I've never clipped in before so I'm a little nervous. When I pick up my bike I'm going to get the trainer (CycleOps Jet Fluid). Is that a good one?

I ordered the Xterra Vortex 3 Sleeveless wetsuit. I used the code someone posted on here for a discount. I think it was $149. Swimming is the easiest for me but I plan on using the wetsuit anyway in Kansas if it's cold enough.

A few weeks of really bad training and this week is Spring Break with the kids. Ugh. It's time to really start focusing.
2011-04-04 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3429683

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas

Debbie - 2011-04-04 7:25 PM Thanks Pitbulzz. I haven't got the bike trainer yet. My bike has been in the shop for almost 2 weeks. Aerobars and tune up was done in a day.....just waiting for my pedals to come in (Red Speedplay Zeros Stainless Steel). Hope they are good. I've never clipped in before so I'm a little nervous. When I pick up my bike I'm going to get the trainer (CycleOps Jet Fluid). Is that a good one? I ordered the Xterra Vortex 3 Sleeveless wetsuit. I used the code someone posted on here for a discount. I think it was $149. Swimming is the easiest for me but I plan on using the wetsuit anyway in Kansas if it's cold enough. A few weeks of really bad training and this week is Spring Break with the kids. Ugh. It's time to really start focusing.

I have speedplay as well.  I never clipped in before until last year.  I was just "over cautious".  I heard horror stories and such, but I just made sure I unclipped well before like a stop sign or so.  I DID make a really stupid mistake once and clipped one foot out, but leaned the other way and tipped over on my clipped in side.  It was more pride than pain, but I like to laugh at myself anyways.  I heard the same about getting used to aerobars, but it was a snap to get used to and WAY more comfortable.  I had to space them out a bit after the initial set-up because I am broad and they were constricting my breathing a bit.

I have the Kinetic Rock and Roll trainer, but Cycle Ops is good as well.  Nothing beats being able to ride when it's crappy out and you can play with ur bars and pedals without having to worry about tipping over.

Yeah, my swimming is far from the best (speed wise) and I know a wet-suit would help some, but I might take that step next year.  I'm just afraid I will overheat and they said the lake temp will be like 74-77 come race day and if you wear one and it's over 76.1 you wont qualify for any awards (I am FARRRRRRRR from even qualifying for any award though).  I'm doing Branson in Sept, so all my swims, the water should be warm enough to not have to wear a wetsuit, but next year I might have to take that plunge

2011-04-04 10:57 PM

User image

Regular
Indiana
Pitbullzz, I had a friend do the exact same thing you did...unclip with one foot and leaned the wrong way. He laughed too....he said it was just a matter of time. Then there's my other friend who was trying the pedals out for the first time.....he was only on his driveway, fell over, and shattered his arm and wrist. Yikes!! I hear the Speedplay are very easy to clip in and out. I hope that's the case.

I tried on my wetsuit the other day and it is HOT. I was a sweaty mess when I took it off. I'm really glad I got the sleeveless though because I would have been completely claustrophobic. I didn't have it pulled up far enough either and it was choking the **** out of me.

I've read good things about the CycleOps and I could kick myself for not getting it sooner. I love to bike but with other commitments such as family it's hard to take that big chunk of time and go out once....let alone 3 times a week.

Are you camping?
2011-04-05 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3429597

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Kansastriguy - 2011-04-04 6:17 PM

LisaC957 - The indoor tri I did last weekend was the Andover Y indoor tri, and the 10k St. Pat's run was in Hutchinson.  There was a St. Patty's Day run in Wichita, too, but I think it was only 5K.  Matt Morrow (Wichita tri standout) was in Hutch because he wanted to go longer than 5K.  I would have won had he stayed home.

I was volunteering at the Andover tri - I was a lap counter on the run (my boyfriend ended up winning that race, I'm so proud of him!). I did the St Pats 10K in Manhattan. And Matt Morrow is my coach!
Small world!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 20