BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2014-01-13 8:00 AM
in reply to: Antwonathon

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN)

Originally posted by Antwonathon Jim - I started training again pre-holidays, but my consistency was well...not consistent. I have been focusing at just trying to get all of my training done. My hope is to have a good base for when the good weather is here so I can really enjoy being outside. 

This brings up a good point....consistency.  One of the keys to setting up a training program is to put together what some call a "basic week".  Get a piece of paper and sit down and figure out what are the key workouts you know you can get in on a consistent basis from week to week.  A good place to start is the swim, since the logistics of pool lap schedules, driving to the pool, etc are the factors that dictate when you can get your swim workouts in.  Pencil those days and time blocks in.  Next, since bike workouts tend to be longer than run workouts and (if you don't have an indoor trainer) are affected by things such as access to safe roads, length of daylight in various seasons, you should then turn to the bike and figure out the best days/times to get your bike workouts in.  Then its a matter of fitting in your run workouts in the remaining day/time slots that aren't taken up by work and family obligations.  Its all about time management.  If you can get your "basic week" in on a consistent basis then your fitness will improve despite the occasional "life happens" event that derails your training on any given day.

Make sense???  Thoughts??? 

2014-01-13 8:18 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Its all about time management.  If you can get your "basic week" in on a consistent basis then your fitness will improve despite the occasional "life happens" event that derails your training on any given day.

This is the key I think, and the way you prioritize (swim then bike then run) makes sense. Unfortunately I doubt many (any?) of us have a 24/7 pool available for us, so that needs to be worked around.

Jim, hopefully I didn't step on your toes making the members list. Please do post your chart as I'm sure its likely easier to read than what I put up.

As for my planned training this past weekend. I forgot to turn on my alarm Saturday morning so only got in half the bike time I had planned, so decided to add that to my long run on Sunday as a brick which made the work out over 3 hours long (likely the longest I put in since pre Ironman last summer). Actually came out of it pretty unscathed. I was happy to see the aerobic system is still hidden deep inside to be pulled out when needed.

Todd
2014-01-13 9:22 AM
in reply to: trei

Jim and everyone,

Sorry for being out of touch for a few days...but huge thanks for your thoughts on bricks. I didn't know they were so controversial. For me, they're keeping me focused. (perhaps the use of the word 'test' wasn't perfect.). Last year I think one of my major issues was to over-estimate my fitness and race day abilities. I trained a fair amount, but since I was only doing one race, I think I lacked some intensity. So, this year, I'm trying to incorporate Oly distance bricks into my workouts as a way of keeping me focused, and for that matter focused on a weekly 'test'. I'll have a pretty good clue if my training is too light with my bricks. I think I'll make them an every other week session, but in any case I like the benefit that my bricks have provided me so far.

In terms of this past weekend's workouts, I had planned for my brick early on Saturday morning, but sleep won the day. I slept in to about 10:30am, and it was fantastic...I guess I really needed the sleep. I ended-up running 5 miles on Saturday night and then rode for 30 miles (avg. 20mph) on Sunday night. Probably will get to the pool this evening. Otherwise, this week will be a few runs, a few bikes and hopefully another swim. My inlaws are visiting next weekend through to the following weekend, so I'll have less use of my bike and treadmill in the basement and thus will be swimming more and if the weather allows, running outside. No big deal there.

Hope everyone is doing well.

BTW, I know it's only January, but does anyone have an early season race that they're preparing for?

2014-01-13 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by Antwonathon Jim - I started training again pre-holidays, but my consistency was well...not consistent. I have been focusing at just trying to get all of my training done. My hope is to have a good base for when the good weather is here so I can really enjoy being outside. 

This brings up a good point....consistency.  One of the keys to setting up a training program is to put together what some call a "basic week".  Get a piece of paper and sit down and figure out what are the key workouts you know you can get in on a consistent basis from week to week.  A good place to start is the swim, since the logistics of pool lap schedules, driving to the pool, etc are the factors that dictate when you can get your swim workouts in.  Pencil those days and time blocks in.  Next, since bike workouts tend to be longer than run workouts and (if you don't have an indoor trainer) are affected by things such as access to safe roads, length of daylight in various seasons, you should then turn to the bike and figure out the best days/times to get your bike workouts in.  Then its a matter of fitting in your run workouts in the remaining day/time slots that aren't taken up by work and family obligations.  Its all about time management.  If you can get your "basic week" in on a consistent basis then your fitness will improve despite the occasional "life happens" event that derails your training on any given day.

I think you are dead on with this and its always been something that I have struggled with but gotten better at over the years. Being consistent really is the key. For my IM this year, I sat down with the wife and planned out the next 8 months on a calendar. We went over all my long training days, what days I will be doing each sport and what times. She now knows that the alarm is going to go off at 0500hrs 3x a week for the next several months so she must really love me Also, my long training days on the weekend give her time to shop and do things she wants and she also is excited to set up aid stations for me on long runs/bikes.

Last year I raced my first HIM and finished feeling great. I was well within sight from coming in under my stretch goal but blew up on the run in 85degree weather. I knew that the weather sucked but I missed a ton of key workouts in my training. Now it was a hard 6 months for me with working, travel and planning a wedding/honeymoon and my training suffered due to those 3 things. I did not treat the HIM as important as I should have when it came to being disciplined with my training and my finish time reflected that. So yes, I think the more planning you can do ahead of time, the better off you will be. If you are going to go away for business or out of town for a wedding or family engagement, see what workouts you are supposed to be doing and try to fit them in whenever. I won't make that same mistake twice!
2014-01-13 9:46 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

She now knows that the alarm is going to go off at 0500hrs 3x a week for the next several months so she must really love me Also, my long training days on the weekend give her time to shop and do things she wants and she also is excited to set up aid stations for me on long runs/bikes.

She is excited to set up aid station for you on long runs/bikes...are you sure about that? ;-) I guess that's the bliss of newlyweds...

2014-01-13 10:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Todd, thanks again for putting together the member list and, no, I don't feel like my toes were stepped on I've provided links to each member's training log page so it will be easier to visit, check logs, race results, say hello, whatever.... Only a couple of people have their blogs set to "private" and I totally respect their decision to do so. However, if you do and have questions about your training just know up front that it is hard to answer questions if we can't review what training you have completed to date. Let me know if there are any errors below.

Jim Kelley BirkierunnerWI 
 Todd TreiWI 
 Roytri/bay FL 
 Kristenenders shadow  
 Scott Kk9car363 CA 
 Scott Hholt1997 WA 
 Cajeelppaym  
 AnthonyAntwonathon IL 
 AaronAapter IL 
 Elizabethhotalinge SC 
 BethHubbie 
 NatnskwilsonWA
 ErikagorickyID
 JeanneJeanneBean 
 BrianLarchmontri 
 TsitsiTsitsi 
 JaimeJaimeS 
 ThomtfigMI
 MarkjmweisNB
 MelissaDoxieIL
 TrevorTrevorCAB
 Mattdmbfan4life20 
 Alexe poweredOH
 SteveStevenC 
 Anthonyamschrod 
 KurtKweezenKY
 JimJBacarellaMI
 StevenStevepivNJ
 CarlCarlgCT

Edited by Birkierunner 2014-01-13 10:31 AM

2014-01-13 10:17 AM

User image

Pro

Edited by Birkierunner 2014-01-13 10:20 AM
2014-01-13 10:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
typo in mine stevepiv not stevepic :-) Thanks!
2014-01-13 10:35 AM

User image

New user

New Brunswick
Hi Jim, mine is jmwies (not jmweis).
Thanks!

Mark
2014-01-13 10:40 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago

Thanks for putting together the mentor list, Todd & Jim!

I had a good weekend of training. Got in about 11 miles in the slush on Saturday and then almost 3 hours on the trainer on Sunday. I'm doing Jorge's plan again this winter.

Today, though, I feel like I have been run over by a truck. I'm doing an experiement to become more fat-adapted. Among other things,  I'm not eating any additional sugars/fake sugars/sugar susbtitutes, etc. (It's the Whole 30 challenge for January). We'll see how this plan works. Has anyone tried something like this? Is there any merit to it? I figure now is the time to try, instead of when training really kicks into high gear.

2014-01-13 11:38 AM
in reply to: doxie

User image

Pro

You can only edit posts for about 30 minutes so I can't go in to make some edits right now.  Rather than posting this long list on this page I will re-post it on page 9 and then make the edits.

2014-01-13 1:11 PM

User image

The first full week of the New Year is often the week when many athletes "kick off" theire training for the year.  How many of you are treating this as your "kick off" week?

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this. My A and B races are later in the year Sept-Dec, mostly because my spring work schedule is very full. Early part of year will include some 5 and 10ks, a few sprint Tris and made a Century ride. My plan is not to get into race specific training until June or so. Between now and then was going to work on building up running mileage, running form and also bike endurance and speed. Since time is a factor, probably will be doing no more than 8 hours per week, I was thinking of primarily focusing on one sport at a time. Example, first 2 months would be run heavy, maybe 4 days a week and only 1 long ride plus 1 mid-week trainer ride, and 1 long and 1 short swim. Next 2 months would be more bike focused with 3 days of riding, 1 long and medium weekend ride plus mid-week, run would scale back to 3 days a week and swim would stay constant. When June rolls around, I will have 10-13 hours to start race training for a couple of 70.3, an Olympic distance and sprint, so a more 3 sport focus is possible.

Does this sort of training make sense? What are the negatives?
2014-01-13 1:24 PM

User image

What are folks weekend training plans?????

Was in Vegas this wknd, which usually hurts training but brought my running shoes. Went for a 7 mile run Sat morning at sunrise. Watching sun come up over the mountains was the best part of my weekend. Very peaceful and mellow.

Planning to do my first swim tonight in a few weeks. My regular pool has been under maintenance during the holidays. Going to work on form based on Scott K's very in depth post.
2014-01-13 8:22 PM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Veteran
Hello everyone. I've been a bit of a lurker but I've been training and reading all the posts. The ones about bricks and consistency where very helpful.

Today I did a 2050 meter swim that is on my training schedule. I noticed that sounds the 1500 meter mark my hand started to hurt and it got worse the more I swam. The pain was mostly from my wrists to the outside of my hand to my pinky and ring fingers. I tried relaxing my hands and different hand positions on my catch and pull. Still had a lot of pain that remained for about an hour after leaving the water.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Any suggestions on how to fix this? Or is this just a signal that my hands are weak and I need to make them stronger?
2014-01-13 8:39 PM

User image

Greenville, South Carolina

One of the keys to setting up a training program is to put together what some call a "basic week". 

Yes, I think this is a great approach, especially for maintenance or even sport-specific training before the getting into a "real" training plan targeting a specific race… for me it's a lot easier to figure out what that looks like in the summer. I'm still working on what mine will be for the next 3 months of marathon training and 3x per week swimming… need to fit some rides/trainer in there somewhere!
2014-01-14 7:53 AM
in reply to: doxie

User image

Expert
Originally posted by doxie

I had a good weekend of training. Got in about 11 miles in the slush on Saturday and then almost 3 hours on the trainer on Sunday. I'm doing Jorge's plan again this winter.

Today, though, I feel like I have been run over by a truck. I'm doing an experiement to become more fat-adapted. Among other things,  I'm not eating any additional sugars/fake sugars/sugar susbtitutes, etc. (It's the Whole 30 challenge for January). We'll see how this plan works. Has anyone tried something like this? Is there any merit to it? I figure now is the time to try, instead of when training really kicks into high gear.

Be careful with fat adaptation. There are a lot of myths about the athlete who performed better after using that type of nutritional protocol, but the scientific studies are starting to show it does not work. I have attached a link about it. http://jap.physiology.org/content/100/1/7.full.I think we are all looking for that edge that will put us over the top, but that one goes against the way our body works. During exercise we are going to burn body fat and carbohydrates, and both will need to be replaced. Glycogen faster, we will carry between 1 hour and 1:15 worth of glycogen.
The problem I have with that theory is that, if you deprive your body of fuel, before exercise, your body is going to go into starvation mode, meaning you will start burning muscle and not fat, and it hurt you in the long run.
I do have an anecdote too. I have a friend who attempted this before IM Texas. He had his worst results ever, over 2 hours slower. I am not saying that was the reason, it may be coincidence or just a bad day. It was just interesting that he experimented with this and had dismal results.

2014-01-14 9:14 AM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Pro

Originally posted by StevenC

The first full week of the New Year is often the week when many athletes "kick off" theire training for the year.  How many of you are treating this as your "kick off" week?

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this. My A and B races are later in the year Sept-Dec, mostly because my spring work schedule is very full. Early part of year will include some 5 and 10ks, a few sprint Tris and made a Century ride. My plan is not to get into race specific training until June or so. Between now and then was going to work on building up running mileage, running form and also bike endurance and speed. Since time is a factor, probably will be doing no more than 8 hours per week, I was thinking of primarily focusing on one sport at a time. Example, first 2 months would be run heavy, maybe 4 days a week and only 1 long ride plus 1 mid-week trainer ride, and 1 long and 1 short swim. Next 2 months would be more bike focused with 3 days of riding, 1 long and medium weekend ride plus mid-week, run would scale back to 3 days a week and swim would stay constant. When June rolls around, I will have 10-13 hours to start race training for a couple of 70.3, an Olympic distance and sprint, so a more 3 sport focus is possible. Does this sort of training make sense? What are the negatives?

Steve, the first question you really need to ask yourself is..."what (if any) are my weakness(es)?"  Is it swim, bike, run, all?  Most people have at least one strength so that helps narrow it down a bit.  But, even within each discipline you may have a certain weakness.  For example, on the bike someone may be strong on a 5 minute critical power test but they are much weaker on a 20 minute test.  That would indicate a basic lack of endurance and the need to incorporate workouts to address that weakness.  You can address weakness within a certain discipline while still maintaining a more balanced s/b/r load.  It doesn't necessarily require devoting 2 months to a given discipline.  Further, I wouldn't advocate arbitrarily devoting 2 months to a given discipline if it isn't needed (i.e. it is not one of your weaker disciplines).  And, if you read what you have described for your approach to focusing on "one sport at a time" you actually still have a schedule filled with a fair amount of each discipline...not trying to split hairs but just trying to distinguish what really is a one sport focus block from what is a more balanced schedule.  I'm not saying what you have outlined won't produce results but whether or not the results are optimal for your particular situation is the question.  Hope that makes some sense.

2014-01-14 9:18 AM
in reply to: Hubbie

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Hubbie Hello everyone. I've been a bit of a lurker but I've been training and reading all the posts. The ones about bricks and consistency where very helpful. Today I did a 2050 meter swim that is on my training schedule. I noticed that sounds the 1500 meter mark my hand started to hurt and it got worse the more I swam. The pain was mostly from my wrists to the outside of my hand to my pinky and ring fingers. I tried relaxing my hands and different hand positions on my catch and pull. Still had a lot of pain that remained for about an hour after leaving the water. Has anyone else dealt with this? Any suggestions on how to fix this? Or is this just a signal that my hands are weak and I need to make them stronger?

Personally, I have never had this issue but perhaps Scott can chime in here if he might have some insight.  Actually, the first thing that popped into my head is whether you have a problem resulting from a non-related issue such as carpal tunnel syndrome from typing on a keyboard, or some other trauma, and perhaps swimming is aggravating it?

2014-01-14 10:26 AM
in reply to: #4915070

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
So, about the "basic week"... as I've mentioned I want to do a swim focus this winter, so I started the Swim Speed Secrets workouts. The workouts are designed for 3x per week (2 around 2400 and 1 around 4600). Since I'm also training for a marathon, it's working out best to do a long run on Sat and the longer swim on Sun. I's like to do the shorter swims on Mon and Wed. Is there any reason to avoid putting them so close together on Sun and Mon? Or being out of the water from Wed to Sun? I could do the short ones Tues/Thurs, but that interferes with my preferred run/bike times.
2014-01-14 11:54 AM
in reply to: hotalinge

User image

Pro

Originally posted by hotalinge So, about the "basic week"... as I've mentioned I want to do a swim focus this winter, so I started the Swim Speed Secrets workouts. The workouts are designed for 3x per week (2 around 2400 and 1 around 4600). Since I'm also training for a marathon, it's working out best to do a long run on Sat and the longer swim on Sun. I's like to do the shorter swims on Mon and Wed. Is there any reason to avoid putting them so close together on Sun and Mon? Or being out of the water from Wed to Sun? I could do the short ones Tues/Thurs, but that interferes with my preferred run/bike times.

That depends on the nature of the Sunday and Monday swims.  Distance is only one part of the equation....what is the intensity and focus of those swims.  If the Monday swim is more of a recovery type swim (or vice versa) then it shouldn't be a problem.  If you can get into the pool any day of the week with no schedule restrictions then I would defer to your preferred run and bike day/times to schedule your swims.  Or, if the shorter swim is not too intense you could always double on the Tues or Thurs.

2014-01-14 11:57 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Regular
Chicago

Originally posted by JBacarella

Be careful with fat adaptation. There are a lot of myths about the athlete who performed better after using that type of nutritional protocol, but the scientific studies are starting to show it does not work. I have attached a link about it. http://jap.physiology.org/content/100/1/7.full.I think we are all looking for that edge that will put us over the top, but that one goes against the way our body works. During exercise we are going to burn body fat and carbohydrates, and both will need to be replaced. Glycogen faster, we will carry between 1 hour and 1:15 worth of glycogen. The problem I have with that theory is that, if you deprive your body of fuel, before exercise, your body is going to go into starvation mode, meaning you will start burning muscle and not fat, and it hurt you in the long run. I do have an anecdote too. I have a friend who attempted this before IM Texas. He had his worst results ever, over 2 hours slower. I am not saying that was the reason, it may be coincidence or just a bad day. It was just interesting that he experimented with this and had dismal results.

This might be a stupid question, but how do I tell if I'm burning muscle instead of fat?

2014-01-14 1:05 PM

User image

Originally posted by StevenC

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this. My A and B races are later in the year Sept-Dec, mostly because my spring work schedule is very full. Early part of year will include some 5 and 10ks, a few sprint Tris and made a Century ride. My plan is not to get into race specific training until June or so. Between now and then was going to work on building up running mileage, running form and also bike endurance and speed. Since time is a factor, probably will be doing no more than 8 hours per week, I was thinking of primarily focusing on one sport at a time. Example, first 2 months would be run heavy, maybe 4 days a week and only 1 long ride plus 1 mid-week trainer ride, and 1 long and 1 short swim. Next 2 months would be more bike focused with 3 days of riding, 1 long and medium weekend ride plus mid-week, run would scale back to 3 days a week and swim would stay constant. When June rolls around, I will have 10-13 hours to start race training for a couple of 70.3, an Olympic distance and sprint, so a more 3 sport focus is possible. Does this sort of training make sense? What are the negatives?

Steve, the first question you really need to ask yourself is..."what (if any) are my weakness(es)?"  Is it swim, bike, run, all?  Most people have at least one strength so that helps narrow it down a bit.  But, even within each discipline you may have a certain weakness.  For example, on the bike someone may be strong on a 5 minute critical power test but they are much weaker on a 20 minute test.  That would indicate a basic lack of endurance and the need to incorporate workouts to address that weakness.  You can address weakness within a certain discipline while still maintaining a more balanced s/b/r load.  It doesn't necessarily require devoting 2 months to a given discipline.  Further, I wouldn't advocate arbitrarily devoting 2 months to a given discipline if it isn't needed (i.e. it is not one of your weaker disciplines).  And, if you read what you have described for your approach to focusing on "one sport at a time" you actually still have a schedule filled with a fair amount of each discipline...not trying to split hairs but just trying to distinguish what really is a one sport focus block from what is a more balanced schedule.  I'm not saying what you have outlined won't produce results but whether or not the results are optimal for your particular situation is the question.  Hope that makes some sense.

Thanks, and it does makes sense. You are correct in that I am still relatively balanced in training. Was just going to try to devote a bit more attention to a couple areas. And yes, there are weaknesses within each discipline that I can focus on. Running would be endurance. I am great thru 7-8 miles but then start fading. Need to work on form, form, form in swimming. For biking, I am good on climbs and short bursts but yes, do need overall endurance and work on being comfortable for 3+ hours in the saddle.
2014-01-14 1:27 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by JBacarella

Be careful with fat adaptation. There are a lot of myths about the athlete who performed better after using that type of nutritional protocol, but the scientific studies are starting to show it does not work. I have attached a link about it. http://jap.physiology.org/content/100/1/7.full.I think we are all looking for that edge that will put us over the top, but that one goes against the way our body works. During exercise we are going to burn body fat and carbohydrates, and both will need to be replaced. Glycogen faster, we will carry between 1 hour and 1:15 worth of glycogen. The problem I have with that theory is that, if you deprive your body of fuel, before exercise, your body is going to go into starvation mode, meaning you will start burning muscle and not fat, and it hurt you in the long run. I do have an anecdote too. I have a friend who attempted this before IM Texas. He had his worst results ever, over 2 hours slower. I am not saying that was the reason, it may be coincidence or just a bad day. It was just interesting that he experimented with this and had dismal results.

This might be a stupid question, but how do I tell if I'm burning muscle instead of fat?

One of the great things about this sport is you get to know how your body really operates, because you a stressing it daily and sometimes multiple times per day. You know how you feel when you are fatigued because of a workout or fatigued because of a lack of sleep. I think the easiest way is a lack of energy over a period of days. You will feel listless or have periods of energy followed by fatigue throughout the day. You can also measure body fat. Also, over time you should notice a loss of performance.
The problem with fat adaptation is you don't see the negative results immediately, and it is not unusual to be fooled by perceived performance. Our bodies are not built for deprivation, that's why most "diets" don't work. Our body's need balance for nutrition.
BTW its not a stupid question, its a tough one, because without daily measurement, its hard to tell if damage is being done. Especially, since progress and loss both come so slowly.

Edited by JBacarella 2014-01-14 1:30 PM
2014-01-14 1:47 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Phew!  Hi everyone!  I've been a voyeur too...haven't had much time to play on-line.  Regarding the "when are you ramping up training" question, I think I got serious again about two weeks ago...it was about the first of the year, and I had to ease back into it.  I'm working my way up to a 20 week program now.  Even though my "A" race is Calgary 70.3 in July, I'm training with a friend who is doing the CdA IM in June, so I'm trying to see if my body will withstand that kind of mileage and my schedule will accommodate that kind of time.  It's a nice way to test the waters for a "someday IM" and I figure it will just make me stronger in Calgary. 

Last night, I swam 1.5 miles which was my farthest ever, so I was pretty stoked! 

Todd, thanks for the list...that was really helpful. 

My log is set to private for bizarre reasons that don't matter to anyone but me; but, I'm more than happy to open it to anyone in the group who might want to see it.  If it hasn't already been opened to you, just let me know and I'll do it.

The brick and nutrition discussions were interesting.  Thank you!  My tri team just had a sports nutritionist present to us.  It was pretty interesting.  He basically says there are 3 types of athletes, from a nutrition standpoint...gut trainers (who need high carbs), "train-low" people (who need moderate to low carbs and more protein) and the hybrid.  I am in the "train-low" group, so I asked how the GU gels work into that...they don't.  He said to try real food - a potato and salt, trail mix, Generation UCan with homemade nut butter (nuts and salt).  I'm going to give it a whirl and see how I feel.  I did gain weight last season, and I am wondering if it was because of all the carbs and chemicals that go into the GUs, Accelerade, and Cliff Bars...   We will see!   

There is a guy by the name of Bob Seebohar who is the guru on the "train low" stuff.  You can google him.  Apparently, he wrote a book, which I've yet to check out, but which the nutritionist recommends:  http://www.amazon.com/Metabolic-Efficiency-Training-Teaching-Body/dp/0984275908/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389421906&sr=8-1&keywords=metabolic+efficiency+training

Anyway, that's it for now!  Hope you all have a great week! 

Erika

2014-01-14 3:48 PM
in reply to: goricky

User image

Pro

Originally posted by goricky

The brick and nutrition discussions were interesting.  Thank you!  My tri team just had a sports nutritionist present to us.  It was pretty interesting.  He basically says there are 3 types of athletes, from a nutrition standpoint...gut trainers (who need high carbs), "train-low" people (who need moderate to low carbs and more protein) and the hybrid.  I am in the "train-low" group, so I asked how the GU gels work into that...they don't.  He said to try real food - a potato and salt, trail mix, Generation UCan with homemade nut butter (nuts and salt).  I'm going to give it a whirl and see how I feel.  I did gain weight last season, and I am wondering if it was because of all the carbs and chemicals that go into the GUs, Accelerade, and Cliff Bars...   We will see!   

There is a guy by the name of Bob Seebohar who is the guru on the "train low" stuff.  You can google him.  Apparently, he wrote a book, which I've yet to check out, but which the nutritionist recommends:  http://www.amazon.com/Metabolic-Efficiency-Training-Teaching-Body/dp/0984275908/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389421906&sr=8-1&keywords=metabolic+efficiency+training

Anyway, that's it for now!  Hope you all have a great week! 

Erika 

How did you determine that you are a train low athlete (assuming that such a thing exists)? 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 17

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 19436 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
Views: 62393 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 26, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Highlights of Beginner Triathlete Members at the Ironman World Championships

date : October 7, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
A look at Beginner Triathlete members racing in Kona from qualifying to training to family.
date : March 27, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
It's a lot easier to be really fit and fast than really healthy and happy.

date : September 15, 2011
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.