BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-05-22 11:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED

Originally posted by SSMinnow

While some of you are sweltering, it was 43F this morning at our Lake House.  Instead of freezing, I hit the CT .  It is supposed to warm up to the 70s for the weekend so I am determined to ride outside now that I've been cleared to do so.

Question for the group:  would you OWS in 47F?    The ice on our lake went out on 5/15 and that is the current temperature.  I've swam in the low 50s for a short time just to keep up the Memorial Day tradition, but this would be a new and very cold experience!

NOPE! Not anywhere close to 47F....unless I had fallen out of a boat and was swimming to land or a life raft. That's an ice bath!

Edited by slornow 2014-05-22 11:01 AM

2014-05-22 12:23 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Originally posted by axteraa

So, here's a question for everyone.  How do you pace a half marathon?  

I just got my race plan from my coach for the HM this weekend - it's pretty much exactly what I expected and what I will be using on race day.  I'm just curious what others do.  Do you start at an easier than goal pace and build up, just try to stay steady or go hard and hold on for dear life?

Like others said it is a bit course dependent. My HM a couple of weeks ago was up and down some hills. I wanted to average 8 minute miles overall but had to vary 15 to 20 seconds per mile either side of that depending if it was net uphill or down hill. Definitely push hard the last 5k. Always aim to vomit at the finish line.
2014-05-22 12:25 PM
in reply to: #4996375

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Agree. Swimming in 47 degree water in my opinion is a very dangerous thing, even in wet suit. Plus, I'd take the entire bike, run to even begin to get warm
2014-05-22 12:26 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by slornow

While some of you are sweltering, it was 43F this morning at our Lake House.  Instead of freezing, I hit the CT .  It is supposed to warm up to the 70s for the weekend so I am determined to ride outside now that I've been cleared to do so.

Question for the group:  would you OWS in 47F?    The ice on our lake went out on 5/15 and that is the current temperature.  I've swam in the low 50s for a short time just to keep up the Memorial Day tradition, but this would be a new and very cold experience!

NOPE! Not anywhere close to 47F....unless I had fallen out of a boat and was swimming to land or a life raft. That's an ice bath!

And even then, I'm not sure if I'd wanna suffer that much! 

2014-05-22 12:27 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

New user
New Hampshire

If it's a Memorial Day tradition you have to do it. I would but I wouldn't be in there very long. Get ready for the major ice cream headache.
2014-05-22 2:31 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Arend- I would pick the pace I thought I could run, based on my training and try to even split the whole thing. 13.1 is way different that 26.2 in that I think you can start out at goal pace and maintain it all the way to the end, perhaps even pick it up a bit over the last 2-4 miles. It will hurt but you won't bonk like in a full marathon. It becomes a mental game of HTFU a lot more than actually physically falling apart. You will want to slow down to make the pain stop. Your body will be trying to convince you it needs you to slow down but your brain needs to be the master over the last few miles.

Suzy- No. No I wouldn't swim in 47 degree water. My constitution is just not tough enough for that. Last weekend the water was 58-59 degrees for much of the swimming and I thought that was cruel and unusual.

If you look at my logs for this week, they are empty. I am sitting around and getting fat. It is great! My coach's instructions, "take the week off. It is a long way until November and I don't want you burning out."

I feel great and could get back to training but I think one of my big mistakes in the past is not taking enough recovery after big events. Last year I was training lightly with in a few days of IMTahoe. No issues at the time but I think the lack of recovery finally caught up with me this Spring and I struggled a lot. If I sit around like this for just a few more days I think I will be completely recovered and totally ready to get back at it.

2014-05-22 3:13 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Thanks for all the HM comments.  Coach goes with a 5/5/5 approach.  5 miles starting out about 5s/km (there's that metric again   slower than goal pace and maybe getting up to goal pace by the end of the 5 miles, then 5 miles at target pace, maybe a bit faster if feeling good.  Then the last 5k is just whatever is left in the tank (hopefully faster).  I've taken that approach for other races and it has worked fairly well.  The course this weekend is fairly flat as far as I can tell so hopefully no terrain to deal with at all.

2014-05-22 3:16 PM
in reply to: UTTriman

User image

Master
Suzy: I think my body would go into shock! I can't even handle land temps at 50F bundled.

Jason: You've been kicking so much booty lately. You deserve a week of rest!!

Got in a run this morning with one of my training buddies. I love these runs. They're at 4:30am when it's quiet, and it's still dark. The moon over the waters is a sight that makes every lap easier to suck up, haha!

Will be jumping in the pool later after my little girls cultural program. She's going to be so cute! I can't wait.

Happy training!
2014-05-22 9:51 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Master

Suzy- that's pretty cold. How long do you normally swim on Memorial Day? Maybe it could be the Polar Bear Plunge this year? 

Blanda- I also love running before the sun comes up. It's almost a necessity to run before the sun comes up where we live. 

Jason- enjoy that rest. Why did we pick that IM in November? 

Something really exciting happened today. My previous bike was a Cervelo P2 from 2008. We discovered 2 cracks on the seat post right after Galveston HIM this year. I'd already ordered my new bike (custom Guru) when the cracks were found. The P2 was also a 51cm frame which over the years we've tried to make work to fit my 5'8 body. Under the Cervelo lifetime warranty they will send a new frame if there are any cracks or defects.
The replacement frame arrived today and it is a Cervelo P3!!!! Sweet!! I'm trying to figure out how to talk Hubby into letting me keep it as a trainer or rain bike- just kidding! No, actually I"m going to build up the bike and sell it. It's a beautiful bike. 

2014-05-23 6:04 AM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by Catwoman

Suzy- that's pretty cold. How long do you normally swim on Memorial Day? Maybe it could be the Polar Bear Plunge this year? 

Blanda- I also love running before the sun comes up. It's almost a necessity to run before the sun comes up where we live. 

Jason- enjoy that rest. Why did we pick that IM in November? 

Something really exciting happened today. My previous bike was a Cervelo P2 from 2008. We discovered 2 cracks on the seat post right after Galveston HIM this year. I'd already ordered my new bike (custom Guru) when the cracks were found. The P2 was also a 51cm frame which over the years we've tried to make work to fit my 5'8 body. Under the Cervelo lifetime warranty they will send a new frame if there are any cracks or defects.
The replacement frame arrived today and it is a Cervelo P3!!!! Sweet!! I'm trying to figure out how to talk Hubby into letting me keep it as a trainer or rain bike- just kidding! No, actually I"m going to build up the bike and sell it. It's a beautiful bike. 

Sweet is right!

Normally, it's roughly 100 yards for every year we've owned the house.  This year would be 800 yards.  Given my swim speed, I may need to either put a propeller on my rear to get it done faster or trim it.  We'll see.

2014-05-23 6:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Jason- Definitely enjoy the short rest. I will bet your training takes another big turn for the positive after a brief break.

Rene - Very cool news on the P3, that's a good way to pay for the new build! Can't beat that.

Arend - I'm a bit late to the party on the HM pacing discussion, as it's been a crazy work week, and my feedback is based on admittedly old data but I am in Jason's school of thought of getting to pace quickly, holding for much of the race and jamming the last 5k. That being said, my one and only competitive half marathon, I didn't do a very good job of executing that plan. I had decided on a whim to qualify myself for the NAIA national marathon and I believe the qualifying time was a 1:13 or 1:14 half. I showed up to a fairly competitive race with a 1:12 target (5:30 pace). I was young and dumb and went with the lead group at the start because, well I was young and dumb and invincible! We went through the mile at just under 5:00 and 2 miles at about 10:10 (no I don't have any idea how many KM that is or what the pace per KM was) and I knew I was in trouble. I finally fell off the back of the group and cruised right at 5:30's for the next 9 miles and thought it was going to be a piece of cake. however, when I went to the well for the last two miles there was nothing there. I really feel like even pacing from the start would have left a lot to work with at the end.

That being said, it sounds like your coaches plan is an execution you are comfortable with and if it has worked for you in the past, I wouldn't change it up. I have just always been of the mentality that it is easier to push myself through suffering than to make up seconds late in a race. It works well in shorter races, likely not HM and up.

All - I have had a rough week as all this time off from running and work I have been doing on muscle recruitment to strengthen my knee and legs after surgery does not seem to be producing the results I had hoped for. I've had two easy runs this week, one on grass and one on a trail, and the knee has been pretty painful after both. The constant swelling does seem better but its just frustrating me! The Acceleration guys feel confident we are making progress but its almost June and I'm barely running at this point...ughhh!!

Sorry, just venting.

Edited by 43YORook 2014-05-23 6:15 AM

2014-05-23 7:11 AM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Sorry to hear that Chris. Hopefully things take a turn for the better soon. It's good that they are seeing progress though, I don't think they would BS you just for the sake of it.
2014-05-23 7:18 AM
in reply to: #4996375

User image

, North Carolina
HM Pacing- I've never done a HM, but I use a similar pacing for my 5/10k's... 1/1/1 or 2/2/2... And then for that last .1 or .2 I sprint as hard as I can (I prefer metric to be honest after living in Germany for 2 years, but I do my training based on my goal race which is in Imperial this year since I'm back state side).

Training- got a big day ahead of me today. Schedule calls for a 1000yd swim test and then a 2hr bike ride later in the day... My wife said "are you crazy?" To which I replied "um... Yes" but I don't have to work today so things should be good I'm getting excited becuase I'm two weeks out from my A race and I feel like I'm hitting a pretty good peak. I'm really looking forward to nailing my goals

Baby Update: we are less than 2 month from the expected delivery date which means.... We have prenatal classes this weekend :/ not looking forward to that.... At all... But it will make the wife feel better prepared when crunch time comes, so it's worth it.

47* swim- I've done it before... But not much more than 500m... And I can't say that it was fun lol just make sure you get warm very quickly afterwards... Just not so quick that you shock your system in the he opposite direction. I recommend blankets and hot chocolate and then after 30min or so a nice warm shower

-Nathan
2014-05-23 8:13 AM
in reply to: triathlonpal07

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Chris - hang tough on the knee thing...mine took longer than anticipated but just stick with the program

@Nathan - enjoy your pre-natal classes...my wife and I had a blast and laugh about them now (almost 12 years ago...)

@Jason - definitely enjoy your fattening period; I think all of us could use more rest/recovery than we take over the course of a year (mine starts at about 10:30 AM May 31st when I fall across the finish line at my OLY)

I've started my taper and my last few workouts have been awful.  Wednesday's trainer session was a mess, I felt lethargic during my run yesterday and had a pretty mediocre swim this morning.  I have a couple of rest days scheduled over the weekend, so hopefully that will be me back on track.  One week to go!

2014-05-23 8:52 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Welcome to Friday of a HOLIDAY WEEKEND!! WOOT!

We are headed to Burlington, VT tomorrow am for the Vermont City Marathon (DH) and relay (me and my cousin's husband). HOORAY!

Should be a little warmer than I'm used to for this time of year so with that and my recent rehab I have NO idea what to expect If I beat my PR, I'll be thrilled - that's my primary goal - 2:12 shouldn't be THAT hard to hit (famous last words).

Ok all - get back to work, have a good day and a great weekend and good luck in all your events!
2014-05-23 9:55 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
South Alabama

Chris-you are doing the right thing working on the mechanics of your running. Sucks that things don't happen as quickly as we would like but long term you will be glad you made the changes.

Mike-taperitis. I always feel like crap during a longish taper. Standard response from coach is "I'd be worried if you felt good right now." The adrenaline on raceday seems to always bring me out of the pre race funk.

We are headed to the in-laws place on a bay near the Gulf tomorrow. It will be tight quarters and 2 nights will likely be enough for me. I'm getting up early to ride my bike over...about 45-50 miles so that will take care of my bike workout tomorrow. Mostly rural roads so I'm hoping that and an early start will keep it from being too busy on the roads. Should be able to get some OWS done in the Bay......its very shallow so you can swim forever in 4-5 feet of water. Weather looks sunny and hot. Forecast for now until early October here is _______ and hot! Insert rainy, humid, sunny, miserable, oppressive or whatever other term fits. 

2014-05-23 11:16 AM

User image

Champion

Polar Plunge in my swimsuit and no wetsuit is out of the way!  Paul dropped his VIvofit overboard while we were getting our boat in the shore station so I rescued it. Fortunately, our lake is crystal clear and I found it right away.   That is the coldest darn water I have ever experienced in my life!  I do think this means that with a wetsuit I can do a few yards to keep up the tradition!

2014-05-23 1:12 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by 43YORook Jason- Definitely enjoy the short rest. I will bet your training takes another big turn for the positive after a brief break. Rene - Very cool news on the P3, that's a good way to pay for the new build! Can't beat that. Arend - I'm a bit late to the party on the HM pacing discussion, as it's been a crazy work week, and my feedback is based on admittedly old data but I am in Jason's school of thought of getting to pace quickly, holding for much of the race and jamming the last 5k. That being said, my one and only competitive half marathon, I didn't do a very good job of executing that plan. I had decided on a whim to qualify myself for the NAIA national marathon and I believe the qualifying time was a 1:13 or 1:14 half. I showed up to a fairly competitive race with a 1:12 target (5:30 pace). I was young and dumb and went with the lead group at the start because, well I was young and dumb and invincible! We went through the mile at just under 5:00 and 2 miles at about 10:10 (no I don't have any idea how many KM that is or what the pace per KM was) and I knew I was in trouble. I finally fell off the back of the group and cruised right at 5:30's for the next 9 miles and thought it was going to be a piece of cake. however, when I went to the well for the last two miles there was nothing there. I really feel like even pacing from the start would have left a lot to work with at the end. That being said, it sounds like your coaches plan is an execution you are comfortable with and if it has worked for you in the past, I wouldn't change it up. I have just always been of the mentality that it is easier to push myself through suffering than to make up seconds late in a race. It works well in shorter races, likely not HM and up. All - I have had a rough week as all this time off from running and work I have been doing on muscle recruitment to strengthen my knee and legs after surgery does not seem to be producing the results I had hoped for. I've had two easy runs this week, one on grass and one on a trail, and the knee has been pretty painful after both. The constant swelling does seem better but its just frustrating me! The Acceleration guys feel confident we are making progress but its almost June and I'm barely running at this point...ughhh!! Sorry, just venting.

Chris

From one  rehabber to another, do you think that the hard VO2 bike intervals followed by a run (even some hours later) is contributing to your ongoing knee issues?I know you have been working up to this over time, but it seems like it might be at least a reason to pause and consider?

While it has only been five weeks for me, I am doing no doubles of B and R and am really building the run minutes super slowly (e.g. 2' run, 1 walk type stuff).

Just a thought.  I'm pulling for you!

2014-05-23 1:59 PM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan

Polar Plunge in my swimsuit and no wetsuit is out of the way!  Paul dropped his VIvofit overboard while we were getting our boat in the shore station so I rescued it. Fortunately, our lake is crystal clear and I found it right away.   That is the coldest darn water I have ever experienced in my life!  I do think this means that with a wetsuit I can do a few yards to keep up the tradition!

WOW!!! low 40 degree water with no wetsuit is CRAZY Suzy!

On a side note, has Paul had a problem with the Vivofit falling off? I had read some about that before I bought TOWKA one but it seemed like the positives outweighed the few people who mentioned that issue. Just curious what your experience has been.
2014-05-23 2:04 PM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan

Chris

From one  rehabber to another, do you think that the hard VO2 bike intervals followed by a run (even some hours later) is contributing to your ongoing knee issues?I know you have been working up to this over time, but it seems like it might be at least a reason to pause and consider?

While it has only been five weeks for me, I am doing no doubles of B and R and am really building the run minutes super slowly (e.g. 2' run, 1 walk type stuff).

Just a thought.  I'm pulling for you!

Hmmm...I honestly hadn't considered it Suzy because the Acceleration guys have been in the loop on my workout schedule and hadn't even asked about the correlation. I don't get any pain at all on the bike, even when I'm pushing it pretty good. Then the run after the bike on the trail the other day was so crazy slow it never even crossed my mind. I was back up to over 6 miles in a run at one point and have cut way back since finding out about these glute and quad issues but maybe I'll try making sure I'm not doubling up any hard workouts at all for a few weeks and see if I notice any difference.

Thanks for the thoughts.
2014-05-23 2:50 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
School's out for the summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT..................................my bike apparently has a steerer tube recall and has to go into the shop. Felt recommends I not ride it until it's checked and repaired. I think I'm going to ride it Sunday before dropping it off. Who knows how long it'll take to get the part and replace it. I need some miles before I give up my girl, Frieda.

2014-05-23 4:32 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by 43YORook

WOW!!! low 40 degree water with no wetsuit is CRAZY Suzy! On a side note, has Paul had a problem with the Vivofit falling off? I had read some about that before I bought TOWKA one but it seemed like the positives outweighed the few people who mentioned that issue. Just curious what your experience has been.

Yes, he has had issues with it falling off when he is doing some serious chores around the house.  We read the reviews that said the band sucked, but that was after I decided to buy them for us.  We had the Jawbones before and those had so many technical issues that we gave up on them after the company replaced them twice in 3 months.  Overall, we do like the Vivofits.    I don't necessarily need it to motivate me,  but it is very good for my non working out husband!

PS.  10' OWS off our pier in a wetsuit.  Cold, but I think I might make it a little longer later in the weekend when the temps have been in the 70s for a couple of days.  Time will tell.

2014-05-23 7:19 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hope everyone has a great weekend. I will ot have a computer at the beach but will try to check in with my phone.

Good luck to those racing.

2014-05-23 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Left work early today for the long weekend and hit up the pool. It was just one of those crappy swim days that zap the energy out of you but you don't see the times you want. About half way through I changed it up and decided to work on a few things that I had been reading lately. I know I have no kick. None at all. This little flutter of a nothing, barely. I've read some stuff about kicking from the hips, so I tried. It took a few laps to get it consistent but towards the end it felt really good and I was hitting my interval times, which typically I'd put at a 4.5/5 effort, with a 3.5/5 effort. I noticed a huge propulsion difference just in how fast I'd hit the wall at the end of the lap and such. Quick 3.5 mile run tonight to cap it off, now to go veg out for a few minutes before bed.
2014-05-24 12:35 AM
in reply to: triathlonpal07

, Georgia
Happy Memorial Day weekend!

Got a short bike workout in today in order to give my new HR monitor a good and proper test. Took things easy and got in 2.7 miles in 15 minutes to prep for the BT beginner cycling plan starting up next week. I'm actually trying to figure out how to coordinate some swimming into that plan as well, but I got to find swim trunks first; hadn't been in the pool for two years and I've lost about 55 pounds since I last put the pair I had on!

Running I'm not too concerned about. One of my friends ran a 5k after doing almost nothing but cycling a couple weeks ago and did really well. I'm not going to presume cycling will be 100% perfect for run training, but I think dropping weight and gaining strength by itself will work wonders. For my purposes, getting there is all I need to do and finishing inside the drop time is all I'm concerned about; I can focus more intently on running after the Sprint in September.

Quite frankly, I'm hoping that my textbook expenses will be lower than expected so I can pull money out of that budget for the event rather than the leftover I'll have going into the semester. They should be about 25% lower at the most since I'm buying for three political science classes now instead of 3 political science and an upper level statistics course.

Also, after doing a lot of research on foam rollers, I decided that since I don't have the money for the Trigger Point set many of your raved about, I would split the difference and pick up the original 13" Grid. Recovery is going to be a huge factor during the summer as well as my training life, so the foam roller really is a nonnegotiable from my point of view. cost about $30, but if it means preventing many injuries, I'm all for it!

Haven't decided whether to do a short run or a bike ride tomorrow to adapt to road conditions. I hadn't been out on the road since the middle of March. I'll admit that nerves had a big factor in that since I'm still freaked out about the falling part after getting my clip-in shoes. That and people forget how to drive when they get into an apartment parking area.

Ironically, I almost took a spill trying to get onto my bike this evening while it was still hooked up to the trainer. Too much weight on one side and it nearly tipped. To add gravy to the stuffing, I didn't heave a helmet on either (who would think that would happen!)

But enough of my 1:30 AM babbling, I shall get to sleep. But before I do:

To those residing (or have resided) in the United States and have served in the armed forces, whether yourself or relatives/friends that you know, I thank you and/or them for your/their service.

Enjoy the long weekend!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 20279 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.