BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-05-28 10:54 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

ok, how far back do I need to go? whew!

update:

Jason is loving his new job. Excited about what he can bring to the small businesses of AZ and the state/national connections he's going to be making.

T had his 8th bday yesterday. We found a Specialized Hotrock for him to start riding. I thought J was getting a 24"...it's a 26", but with seat down and a stem adjustment, T is loving it. Wants to ride morning and night. Now Mak just needs to get to a 20"!

We thought about going to Moab last weekend, but T got sick and J had only been home a few days, company had just left, and we were tired. lol  Took the time to clean up around the yard and set up the pool for the summer....yes, set up. Not ready to invest 20k in an in-ground yet.

(20150527_192213.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20150527_192213.jpg (42KB - 2 downloads)

2015-05-28 10:57 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by laffinrock

DH came across this in the NY Times:  Slushies v. Frozen Underwear.  And....discuss.

I do not understand words like "or" and "v."

The correct answer is always AND.

We thought we had it bad in Vietnam with the heat ... a du (90K bike/21.1K run) was held in Jakarta on a new, not-yet-open toll highway.

Vietnam: air temps at 38C much of the day with the ground we were actually running on 40-44C.

Jakarta: air temps at 36C much of the day with the ground temp maxing out at 53C. People's shoe bottoms were getting sticky. Run on the white lines! I'll bet they'd have dumped Slushies into their frozen undies if they could ...

I agree! AND is better. Although I generally do neither. I was starting my long runs early when it was rather cool, high 40's low 50's, wearing shorts and a tank, and being cold early on in the run definitely helped the body temp rise less quickly.

2015-05-28 11:10 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I know that she's probably not following along anymore but...

Has anyone else noticed that wherever Monica moves, they have terrible weather?

2015-05-28 11:11 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by rrrunner

So I will be in Las Cruces this Friday/Saturday for work so I researched doing my trail run there. I was looking at a trail that looked interesting but had the following disclaimer:

NOTE: Due to an intermittent problem with bandits in the area, it is not recommended to hike this mountain alone. Going in groups, or hiking on one of the several days each year the mountain is patrolled and open for touring is a safer option.

"Bandits"?!?! I guess I do live in the wild west.

Hahaha, for some reason, reading this I got the mental image of Blazing Saddles!   

You are probably more on track than I but for some reason I had this image:

Hahahaha

2015-05-28 11:12 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

Just a little brag.  I ran a 5k cross-country race yesterday and gave an all-out effort.  I averaged 8:57/mile, the fastest I've ever done (total time 27:42).  My pace was also pretty consistent and my 3rd mi. was faster than the 2nd despite being mostly on grass instead of pavement/crushed rock path.  I finished low in the rankings (22/24 OA, 4/6 women).  Even so, I'm *really* proud of myself!!

Awesome! Best sport ever

2015-05-28 11:13 AM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

update:

Jason is loving his new job. Excited about what he can bring to the small businesses of AZ and the state/national connections he's going to be making.

T had his 8th bday yesterday. We found a Specialized Hotrock for him to start riding. I thought J was getting a 24"...it's a 26", but with seat down and a stem adjustment, T is loving it. Wants to ride morning and night. Now Mak just needs to get to a 20"!

We thought about going to Moab last weekend, but T got sick and J had only been home a few days, company had just left, and we were tired. lol  Took the time to clean up around the yard and set up the pool for the summer....yes, set up. Not ready to invest 20k in an in-ground yet.

Awesome pic!

And lots of good stuff too. Probably a 26" is better for growing children anyhoo

2015-05-28 11:24 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

So much energy/attitude in one location

2015-05-28 11:43 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

I opted to not race the mile last night. I've been a bit under the weather and figured just trying to finish the workout would be challenge enough.

It's the strangest thing...in addition to a cold my nose hurts like a mofo. In fact it hurts as bad as it did when it was broken. And it's swollen. But I can't recall actually hitting it on anything. So. Weird. So, hopefully at a minimum the cold is cleared up by Saturday so that the run around St. Helen's isn't too much of a suffer fest.

Speaking of suffering, last nights track workout was pretty tough! We did a ladder: 2 x 1000, 2 x 600, 4 x 400, 4 x 200. Which is really just a sneaky way of having us run a 5+K a little faster than 5K pace I'm onto my coach

2015-05-28 11:47 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I opted to not race the mile last night. I've been a bit under the weather and figured just trying to finish the workout would be challenge enough.

It's the strangest thing...in addition to a cold my nose hurts like a mofo. In fact it hurts as bad as it did when it was broken. And it's swollen. But I can't recall actually hitting it on anything. So. Weird. So, hopefully at a minimum the cold is cleared up by Saturday so that the run around St. Helen's isn't too much of a suffer fest.

Speaking of suffering, last nights track workout was pretty tough! We did a ladder: 2 x 1000, 2 x 600, 4 x 400, 4 x 200. Which is really just a sneaky way of having us run a 5+K a little faster than 5K pace I'm onto my coach

Yup. That's weird. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Um, yeah, that workout sounds nuts.

2015-05-28 11:56 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

OK...

Adrienne- have fun with your purdy "new" bike! And...Oh, the places you go!

Stacey- get yourself a purdy new bike! Hope you love the test ride.

TJ- bandits, tarantulas, scorpions... no mention of any friendly rattlers? Be careful out there.

Mary- awesome run!

Mel- I think your running question was answered. lol

Yanti- yeah, gotta read through that again.

2015-05-28 12:09 PM

User image

Master

Going back to our gender discussion (don't worry, it's the "lite" version) I am on the corporate architecture team here at the BUX. One of the guys in more of the  standards side of the team just came over and was showing me some interesting exploration into restroom signage so that it's nondiscriminatory.  There were some CRAZY iterations and ideas but what someone came up with was so simple, and such a no-brainer. Just a simple image of a toilet. Duh. What's behind that door? Oh a toilet. That's all I need to know. 

Yep.

I was having a discussion with J about school bathroom design last year. With all that can/does go on in them, why do they continue to build the same way? Why not a restroom area/hall with sinks and "mirrors" outside the nongendered enclosed toilets? Just has to be a simpler and safer way.

2015-05-28 12:11 PM

User image

Master

ugh. I mentioned bike ride. they're out the door....

2015-05-28 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Well I sure have.  Yikes!

Actually affected one of my races.  Luckily we weren't hurt in this crazy weather and only had some minor flooding in our new place (on which we thankfully haven't started work yet), although our pool looks like it's filled with chocolate milk...   Eyeeeewwwwww.

Quick update (been SWAMPED at work in a good way!).  Ran the 8k last Sunday with Kim.  My company sponsors the race, as we make a diagnostic for Fragile X syndrome (most common inherited cause of autism), and we had about 35 families from work turn out - which was pretty great.  Decided just before starting that I like racing more than I cared about how I placed the next day in an Oly tri, so I would **mostly** race both.    Kim and I each won our age groups (I ran just sub-7m/m on a kinda hilly course).  Total super fun day.

Did the CapTex Oly the next morning... mostly.  The swim was canceled as a good bit of the Hill Country, along with just a touch of poop, had washed into Town Lake with the tornados and storms Sat/Sunday.  Decided that since my legs were pretty heavy for running that I'd pin it on the bike and see what happened.  Had my best Oly bike split yet (only done 3, but still) and actually think I PR'd the 10k (so the course must have been short!).  Took 2nd in my AG.

I'm really glad I decided to race them both.  I didn't/don't care so much about the results at either of these races, but I know that if I'd really held back on either, it would have eaten at me a bit.  And for me, it's all about maximizing the endorphins! 

So, total super fun weekend.  Lots of burgers and beer for recovery (which started at 0900 Sunday right after the first race - more of an awesome weekend than a sensible one!).

OK, now I'm back to work (hey, somebody has to mine the salt, right?).

Matt

2015-05-28 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

ugh. I mentioned bike ride. they're out the door....

Ha!  That's awesome. 

2015-05-28 12:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

That sounds like an awesomely crushing workout.

But what's up with the nose?  Start with the cold, or happen after?  Agreed - weird, and must be annoying!  My doctorly advice: feel better.  (seriously, hope it clears soon for you)

Matt

2015-05-28 12:40 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Your coach is sneaky!

I wonder if your nose hurting is related to how badly it was broken - it isn't completely back to normal, so the pressure of congestion is doing a job on it?

2015-05-28 12:42 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Well I sure have.  Yikes!

Actually affected one of my races.  Luckily we weren't hurt in this crazy weather and only had some minor flooding in our new place (on which we thankfully haven't started work yet), although our pool looks like it's filled with chocolate milk...   Eyeeeewwwwww.

Quick update (been SWAMPED at work in a good way!).  Ran the 8k last Sunday with Kim.  My company sponsors the race, as we make a diagnostic for Fragile X syndrome (most common inherited cause of autism), and we had about 35 families from work turn out - which was pretty great.  Decided just before starting that I like racing more than I cared about how I placed the next day in an Oly tri, so I would **mostly** race both.    Kim and I each won our age groups (I ran just sub-7m/m on a kinda hilly course).  Total super fun day.

Did the CapTex Oly the next morning... mostly.  The swim was canceled as a good bit of the Hill Country, along with just a touch of poop, had washed into Town Lake with the tornados and storms Sat/Sunday.  Decided that since my legs were pretty heavy for running that I'd pin it on the bike and see what happened.  Had my best Oly bike split yet (only done 3, but still) and actually think I PR'd the 10k (so the course must have been short!).  Took 2nd in my AG.

I'm really glad I decided to race them both.  I didn't/don't care so much about the results at either of these races, but I know that if I'd really held back on either, it would have eaten at me a bit.  And for me, it's all about maximizing the endorphins! 

So, total super fun weekend.  Lots of burgers and beer for recovery (which started at 0900 Sunday right after the first race - more of an awesome weekend than a sensible one!).

OK, now I'm back to work (hey, somebody has to mine the salt, right?).

Matt

Other than the poopy lake, it sounds like a great weekend!  Congrats to both you and Kim on the results.  And the beer drinking.   

2015-05-28 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

hahaha.  Must be some sort of Canadian curse!

2015-05-28 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

update:

That is a really cool picture!!  Glad J is enjoying the new gig and the kids the new or soon to be new bikes!!

2015-05-28 1:48 PM

User image

Master

Just a little brag.  I ran a 5k cross-country race yesterday and gave an all-out effort.  I averaged 8:57/mile, the fastest I've ever done (total time 27:42).  My pace was also pretty consistent and my 3rd mi. was faster than the 2nd despite being mostly on grass instead of pavement/crushed rock path.  I finished low in the rankings (22/24 OA, 4/6 women).  Even so, I'm *really* proud of myself!!

Awesome Mary!!  Good work.

2015-05-28 1:49 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

hahaha.  Must be some sort of Canadian curse!

I'm just thankful that she didn't move to NC!

2015-05-28 1:58 PM

User image

Master

OMG so behind.

Stacey, that bike looks awesome!  I hope it feels perfect.

Yanti, I am of no help, but it sounds like a cool idea.

Erin, awesome family stuff!  That photo is fantastic.

Adrienne, running around Mt. St. Helens sounds so cool, as does most of the stuff you do.  Re your nose: you probably have a fair bit of scar tissue from the break/surgery.  Scar tissue is much more 'stiff' than normal tissue.  Inflammation from the cold is bound to make it hurty.

Matt sounds like an awesome weekend!

I know I've missed some stuff...

2015-05-28 2:11 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Seattle
Speaking of Canadian curse...Hi Kirsten! How are things?
2015-05-28 2:14 PM

User image

Seattle
Yeah the nose thing came at the same time as the cold (or whatever it is) I'll bet you guys are right and it's the pressure. I just had a nice 25 minute stint in the restroom due to a bloody nose. I think I have seen too many movies because any time I get a bloody nose in public I feel like everyone assumes I was snorting cocane.
2015-05-28 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Strava users,

Have any of you look at the latest stravistix?  Now there is a weather thing for bike rides (they have to add for running too!). 

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67909 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28864 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12238 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 38325 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67475 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.