BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-01-08 6:16 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed
Originally posted by marcagShe and her bike made it safe and sound. Apparently she ended up in the wine section of the local store. We haven't heard from her since. Just kidding.

WOW! The IM tracker has gotten a lot better than it used to be! Don't worry, I am sure she is fine. Probably just a glitch with the timing mat at the checkout counter....

2016-01-08 6:23 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group..."We're back!"

Marc-I plan to  start tracking early next week. Do you use the ithlete pro or just the basic program for data/tracking?  Also, what sort of rest or tapered training did you follow before testing to establish your baseline?

Thanks 

2016-01-08 6:35 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by slornow

Marc-I plan to  start tracking early next week. Do you use the ithlete pro or just the basic program for data/tracking?  Also, what sort of rest or tapered training did you follow before testing to establish your baseline?

Thanks 

Interested to know more about it as well. While I also mostly train by power on the bike, RPE on the run, and pace in the water, I do pay attention somewhat to HR trends. For example, I take note of average HR trends at certain paces or outputs. But I also take not of other indicators as well. Things like HR uncoupling correlating with detraining, abnormally elevated HR before sickness, and (like yesterday) a decoupling of HR from effort. After doing Marc-induced hard intervals the day prior, I simply could not drive my HR up compared to effort. I was just shelled from the effort the day prior, so I readjusted. Are these the kinds of things/events HRV allows you to track more closely/less anecdotally? What other things can it expose? Can it be predictive, or only descriptive?

2016-01-08 7:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks 

I have been using the basic program. I have also been taking the occasional reading with my 920xt.
I might try some others now that I have a version I know and can compare to. I will look more into the pro version.

All I did was take measures every day over a long period of time, ignoring the color and a trend did establish itself. There is also a way to add scores for sleep quality and training load. Those may be useful for a while to establish patterns

Edited by marcag 2016-01-08 7:35 AM
2016-01-08 7:18 AM
in reply to: quincyf

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by quincyf

Regarding strength training, this is a big question for me, so I tried to narrow it down. The answer for me, is, of course I need to do it, regularly, year round (40+ caucasian female, hello, osteoporosis, is that you? No, I don't want any right now, thanks).

But I don't just want to do strength training without any specificity. Yes, general ST is good, but how can I do it so it helps me? So I looked at each sport and I came up with a strength related deficit related to each sport. Now, how do I fix it.

Swimming: I beat the living out of my right shoulder racing CX in 2011. Tore the entire backside of my labrum which required a painful and elaborate ship in a bottle surgery. I am always looking for ways to strengthen my shoulder. To stabilize it. So, small muscle exercises to stabilize my shoulder.

Running: I struggle with a leg length issue. I also have a strength imbalance between my quads and my hamstrings (strong). Need to work on my quads.

Cycling: I have a strong core in general, but I have some sort of cycling related core weakness. When I am on my roadie, I want to lock my elbows out. Even on a spin bike, I feel like I am falling forward off of my saddle and want to lock my arms out to hold myself up. How to fix this.

Not looking for coaching, but ideas to find answers to these questions.

In general beyond my specific concerns, I do really well with a total body circuit, done 3x through, 3x a week.

I don't know how much time Ben has to share exercises for each issue but I think that is one of his major areas of expertise.

I have been expecting him to chime in about strength training....... Maybe he just didn't want to scare us too much too early
2016-01-08 7:22 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Ben.

I haven't the faintest idea why Steve uses Raceday instead of Training Peaks. I know he is pretty friendly with Skiba so that may have made a difference when it came time to choose a platform for his athletes.

I keep saying that I am a technophobe. I don't utilize 10% of the functionality of Raceday. When I am using it I count on Steve (my coach, AKA Darkhorse Triathlon for those who are wondering) to analyze the data and figure out if I am getting better.

I really am at heart a train and race by feel guy. I recognize and embrace the importance/utility of data but if it were completely up to me I would be doing almost everything by RPE (and probably sliding backwards in comparison to my peers--so that is not what I'm doing).

2016-01-08 7:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TankBoy

Thanks 

Interested to know more about it as well. While I also mostly train by power on the bike, RPE on the run, and pace in the water, I do pay attention somewhat to HR trends. For example, I take note of average HR trends at certain paces or outputs. But I also take not of other indicators as well. Things like HR uncoupling correlating with detraining, abnormally elevated HR before sickness, and (like yesterday) a decoupling of HR from effort. After doing Marc-induced hard intervals the day prior, I simply could not drive my HR up compared to effort. I was just shelled from the effort the day prior, so I readjusted. Are these the kinds of things/events HRV allows you to track more closely/less anecdotally? What other things can it expose? Can it be predictive, or only descriptive?

Now that I think about it, I think the body thermometer/fever is a good analogy although HRV goes in the opposite direction. If a fever is a bad thing, just like a bad HRV, if you see your temperature going up day after day for a week you know you are going to get into a state of fever. You can always saY "I feel a little warm" or "I don't feel that well", but when the thermometer says 102, you are sick.

Yes, if i do a killer workout my HRV will drop the next day. I get more worried when it continues to drop or doesn't come back. For example, 5 solid days with a TSS over 100, 9 times out of 10, I will go "amber" with my HRV. Keep on pushing, I'll go red. The day after a HIM, sometimes my HRV is ok. The following day, it's in the toilet. You can say you don't need an app to tell you this, but there are times in the training period where it is a lot less subtle and you are creeping into a hole. I have seen it go bad and sure enough, 2 days later a cold has appeared.

Yes a suppressed heart rate is a sign of over extension. A low HR for a given workout is sometimes a bad thing

It works more on trends. The big mistake is to let a single reading physch you out for the day. I have had brilliant sessions with a low HRV and bad sessions with a good one. It seems to be the HRV trend that is more important. If being on the edge, or going over is not a concern, it's probably not that interesting. What I find interesting is it brings the other "stressors" in life into the equation. Not just training.

Remember this is a n=1 experience, maybe n=3. YMWV

Edited by marcag 2016-01-08 7:37 AM
2016-01-08 7:58 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Last of my spam emails for the morning, and a confession......

I messed my knee up. If you look at my logs I was running a lot and cycling a very little bit up until two weeks ago. Since then there are no runs and a lot of bike time. Christmas eve I was about on hour in to a 1:15 run and feeling amazing. One step I was gliding like a gazelle and the next step I felt horrible crunching from my left knee. Like a ding dong I tried to keep running and finish. Got another mile in before pain stopped me. I took a day off from running and then did eight miles on December 26 with a lot of pain/teeth grinding. I CAN run and hold my form, but it really is not comfortable at all.

I have seen an orthopedic surgeon who thinks it is a meniscus tear but I need an MRI to find out what it really is. Treatment for a small tear vs a large tear vs a stress fracture are all very different, so no idea what the plan is until a true diagnosis is established.

So,

Con: Well I can't really run right now and my early season A race is the Paris Marathon. I have been mostly injury free throughout nine years of triathlon training and racing so it was bound to happen at some point.

Pro: I have needed to do a bike block for several years now and haven't. I don't love the bike like I love to run, so I have never spent the time in the saddle to really make the gains. Luckily, riding doesn't hurt the knee at all. In fact, it usually feels better after an hour on the trainer. I'm actually enjoying the time and looking forward to cycling (although last night's session was a crash and burn fail).

So, here I am, in limbo. Not sure how things will shake out. No matter what the diagnosis is, it won't be catastrophic. I have had a meniscus tear in the past and was able to come back fairly quickly so if that is the diagnosis it will be fine. If it is a stress fracture I will get my first real experience with pool running, which will be boring but fine. No matter what happens, I hope to come out of this a better cyclist.

Edited by wannabefaster 2016-01-08 8:02 AM
2016-01-08 8:10 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Last of my spam emails for the morning, and a confession......

I messed my knee up. If you look at my logs I was running a lot and cycling a very little bit up until two weeks ago. Since then there are no runs and a lot of bike time. Christmas eve I was about on hour in to a 1:15 run and feeling amazing. One step I was gliding like a gazelle and the next step I felt horrible crunching from my left knee. Like a ding dong I tried to keep running and finish. Got another mile in before pain stopped me. I took a day off from running and then did eight miles on December 26 with a lot of pain/teeth grinding. I CAN run and hold my form, but it really is not comfortable at all.

I have seen an orthopedic surgeon who thinks it is a meniscus tear but I need an MRI to find out what it really is. Treatment for a small tear vs a large tear vs a stress fracture are all very different, so no idea what the plan is until a true diagnosis is established.

So,

Con: Well I can't really run right now and my early season A race is the Paris Marathon. I have been mostly injury free throughout nine years of triathlon training and racing so it was bound to happen at some point.

Pro: I have needed to do a bike block for several years now and haven't. I don't love the bike like I love to run, so I have never spent the time in the saddle to really make the gains. Luckily, riding doesn't hurt the knee at all. In fact, it usually feels better after an hour on the trainer. I'm actually enjoying the time and looking forward to cycling (although last night's session was a crash and burn fail).

So, here I am, in limbo. Not sure how things will shake out. No matter what the diagnosis is, it won't be catastrophic. I have had a meniscus tear in the past and was able to come back fairly quickly so if that is the diagnosis it will be fine. If it is a stress fracture I will get my first real experience with pool running, which will be boring but fine. No matter what happens, I hope to come out of this a better cyclist.

That really sucks. Sounds like you are willing to make lemonade with those lemons.
There is a pool running expert in the group. She happens to be in Chile right now but I know she managed to keep some decent run form for what was close to 3 months. I am sure she has advice on what to do and what shows to watch while doing it.
Podcasts are your friend when pool running.
2016-01-08 8:25 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Ugh, Jason - agree with Marc, that stinks. How soon is your MRI?

2016-01-08 8:35 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nicole is probably a little busy but in just a few days she should be in recovery mode and have time to advise me on all the intricacies of pool running. Sounds like I am going to need a waterproof Ipod.

The MRI is not yet scheduled. Insurance company denied coverage for it initially (so much for being a doctor and knowing how to navigate the system). They wanted me to get x rays and try PT first. Ortho doc had to contact them to say that there is no utility in x rays for this and that without a diagnosis there is not way to plan appropriate PT. Very frustrating. Waiting to hear later today.

2016-01-08 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Nicole is probably a little busy but in just a few days she should be in recovery mode and have time to advise me on all the intricacies of pool running. Sounds like I am going to need a waterproof Ipod.

The MRI is not yet scheduled. Insurance company denied coverage for it initially (so much for being a doctor and knowing how to navigate the system). They wanted me to get x rays and try PT first. Ortho doc had to contact them to say that there is no utility in x rays for this and that without a diagnosis there is not way to plan appropriate PT. Very frustrating. Waiting to hear later today.

I know she did this
http://rw.runnersworld.com/rt/pdf/Nine_Week_Recovery_Plan.pdf

For the MP3 play I use this when aquajogging and running
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sony-sony-swimmable-wireless-on...
That's less than $60US these days :-(

Edited by marcag 2016-01-08 8:41 AM
2016-01-08 8:51 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-is this the same knee that you had issues with last year?  I did the same thing about 2 months ago....pushed through a painful knee on a long run.  It slowly improved after a week or two away from running.  It did convince me to  get back to working on some leg strength workouts to try to strengthen the supporting muscles.

Pool running/aqua jogging.......has to be the worst thing ever.  For me, 30 minutes of pool running feels like it take 2 hours.  II have done my share so I can limit fitness lost but  I hate it. I have a Waterfi ipod shuffle that I use for running since it is so humid down here.  Pod casts should help pass the time.

Swim done. Strength and short run this afternoon.  Weather looks crappy over the weekend down here so likely to miss my weekly long ride outside. 

2016-01-08 9:03 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Wow - that is a great plan!

FWIW a few years ago about two months before IMLP I took a freak tumble while trail running and suffered a "pinched" meniscus. Working with my coach and PT we substituted every scheduled run for a walk of the same time, and added in a lot of deep water running before or after almost every swim, bike, or walk. These included some forward, backward, and lateral "running." I was lucky as it was in the middle of the summer and I could do almost all of it in various lakes around town, so it was nice to be able to put on my speedo belt and actually "run" somewhere (shore to shore, island to island, etc.). As a pretty good runner with lots of work already in the bag, the purpose of the walking was two-fold: 1) just make sure that I had lots of time on my feet as that is a huge part of marathon breakdowns, and 2) be in shape to walk the distance if I was able to heal up in time. About two weeks before the race I was able to add a little bit of time running to each walk and built up to 20 minutes of running total. On race day I ran every step of the marathon without issue and was probably less than 10 minutes slower than I would have been without the injury.

At any rate, it sounds like you are being pragmatic about it. As soon as you get a diagnosis you, your coach, and your PT/rehab folks can put together a plan to keep you in Paris. It's in April, correct? Sucks though that you ar losing time jacking around with insurance.

2016-01-08 9:15 AM
in reply to: #5158356

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Add me to the great success from pool running stories. I injured my shoulder about two weeks after I signed up for IMOO. I was able to get my surgery in December but wasn't cleared to do anything but elliptical and the trainer until April. I talked my surgeon into pool running and was able to arrive in April with enough fitness to train for IM. Intervals are your friend.
2016-01-08 10:27 AM

User image

I probably will be.

I wasn't actually there last year. He called me after the race and asked me if he could send it to me. He sent the speech very late, after he did the midnight finisher line ritual. I translated and recorded a sound file the next morning. I sent it by email that he listened to over and over and memorized those 3 or 4 minutes of French. Come to think of it, I could have thrown in some good French curse words :-)

Tabarnak osti,

Looks like there is a fair amount of people with some IMMT experience... Get ready for a lot of questions...

Edited by Murph333 2016-01-08 10:27 AM

2016-01-08 10:34 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
POWER - I bought a power2max this fall. So far no complaints - other than it reads lower than I hoped it would

LOL I hear you on that one. I consider myself a strong cyclist as I usually put up one of the best bike splits in my races, so when I got my power meter and did my first FTP test I figured "l can put out good power on the bike, let's try to hold 250W... yeah that feels comfortably hard, I can hold this wattage..." and as the minutes ticked by "ugh... this is not sustainable" and it wasn't long before I was below 200W and still struggling. I retested again and did the test better but was a little taken aback that my FTP was below 200W.

It's remarkable how different pacing with RPE is from pacing with power. A consistent RPE (for me anyways) results in gradually declining power. I've never ridden outdoors with my power meter so I'm very interested to do a TT on one of my usual loops and see how pacing with power effects my time vs the pacing with RPE I'm used to.
2016-01-08 10:35 AM
in reply to: Murph333

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Murph333

I probably will be.

I wasn't actually there last year. He called me after the race and asked me if he could send it to me. He sent the speech very late, after he did the midnight finisher line ritual. I translated and recorded a sound file the next morning. I sent it by email that he listened to over and over and memorized those 3 or 4 minutes of French. Come to think of it, I could have thrown in some good French curse words :-)

Tabarnak osti,

Looks like there is a fair amount of people with some IMMT experience... Get ready for a lot of questions...

Wow, you're almost bilingual

It's a great language. Most swear words are actually Catholic religious words that can be used in a million permutations and combinations to get the right degree of severity.

This is definite reading before the race https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_French_profanity

2016-01-08 10:39 AM
in reply to: quincyf

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
It has been suggested to me that I try pool running since my hip surgery. I have no idea what to do however. I guess I could google it and learn but since I hate running I have not bothered. Quick question though, does it have advantages over a treadmill since I can run on a treadmill without any pain.

As long as we are discussing running, I am not currently following any running plan. I am just trying to slowly build up my endurance. Does anyone have or know of a good plan for a bad slow runner that isn't allowed to run outside much?

BTW - if there are any other Sufferfest enthusiasts in the group, I just rode To Get To The Other Side this morning for the first time. It's 90 minutes with 6 climbs. A good base building ride off season. Check it out if you have not seen it yet.

Thanks,
2016-01-08 10:40 AM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
POWER - I bought a power2max this fall. So far no complaints - other than it reads lower than I hoped it would

LOL I hear you on that one. I consider myself a strong cyclist as I usually put up one of the best bike splits in my races, so when I got my power meter and did my first FTP test I figured "l can put out good power on the bike, let's try to hold 250W... yeah that feels comfortably hard, I can hold this wattage..." and as the minutes ticked by "ugh... this is not sustainable" and it wasn't long before I was below 200W and still struggling. I retested again and did the test better but was a little taken aback that my FTP was below 200W.

It's remarkable how different pacing with RPE is from pacing with power. A consistent RPE (for me anyways) results in gradually declining power. I've never ridden outdoors with my power meter so I'm very interested to do a TT on one of my usual loops and see how pacing with power effects my time vs the pacing with RPE I'm used to.

I ended up testing Wednesday. I need to work on kg portion of w/kg.
But the w portion needs some good work as well.

For the outdoor TT, in Ottawa OBC does a 15km TT every Thursday night. It's like $80 for the year and you get 10% off a Busthtakah (LBS). In my case usually easily pays for the membership. They do it on the Aviation Parkway near Rockliffe airport.

Great way to test FTP and aerodynamics in a race context.
2016-01-08 11:01 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by StuartapIt has been suggested to me that I try pool running since my hip surgery. I have no idea what to do however. I guess I could google it and learn but since I hate running I have not bothered. Quick question though, does it have advantages over a treadmill since I can run on a treadmill without any pain.As long as we are discussing running, I am not currently following any running plan. I am just trying to slowly build up my endurance. Does anyone have or know of a good plan for a bad slow runner that isn't allowed to run outside much?BTW - if there are any other Sufferfest enthusiasts in the group, I just rode To Get To The Other Side this morning for the first time. It's 90 minutes with 6 climbs. A good base building ride off season. Check it out if you have noThanks,

in addition to the lessening of impact pool running is great in that it engages and strengthens muscles/tendons/ligaments through a full range of motion due to the water resistance.

not sure of your recent running history, and the smarties will know better, but I have had great success recovering from my most recent knee injury with BarryP. Doc wanted me to run a little bit every day. I started with just 10 minutes as my easy run, sandwiched in to 1:00~1:15 total ambulation. I ran everyday without a break, and worked up to my long run of 55 minutes. All easy running. I switched over to the ST 100 in 100 challenge so I shortened my "long" run and increased my shirt run to 30 minutes, again almost always very, very easy (shhh, don't tell Marc but I am beating him on points). "Working out" stops Monday, and "Training" begins though, so not sure how long that will last - I don't really think the challenge is very conducive to smart training. But over the past 79 days it has gotten me out in the rain, sleet, ice, and 50+mph winds, so there is that.

2016-01-08 11:03 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Just finished up noodling around the Richmond course mostly easy, but with a few punchy bits chasing wheels and at sprint zones and KOMs. Headed out for an easy, puddle-jumping run. What does everyone else have going on?
2016-01-08 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
Last night 3400 yd swim, mix of intervals, and variations using paddles/pull buoy and bands
20 min run with 8x30sec pickups mixed in

Today 2 runs
AM 30 min easy
pm 30 min faster than am
2016-01-08 11:38 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
That Runnersworld plan looks great if a water running plan can be called great. At least it would give me some structure to follow.

And yes, Randy, it is the same knee that bothered me last winter. It feels like the same injury only worse. I took almost two months off from running last winter (so I guess this isn't really my first injury) and when I came back it did not feel significantly better. The decision was made that I was going to train on it and it seemed to get better over time and really did not create any problems throughout last season. Like I said, this is worse than last year so I really need an answer to figure out what to do. Not running for two months every winter doesn't seem like a good option.
2016-01-08 12:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TankBoy
I switched over to the ST 100 in 100 challenge so I shortened my "long" run and increased my shirt run to 30 minutes, again almost always very, very easy (shhh, don't tell Marc but I am beating him on points). "Working out" stops Monday, and "Training" begins though, so not sure how long that will last - I don't really think the challenge is very conducive to smart training. But over the past 79 days it has gotten me out in the rain, sleet, ice, and 50+mph winds, so there is that.

Interesting. Me it's the opposite. My run volume is about to go up and more track work starting next week. I think I'll end up a bit over 30miles this week but will probably peek at 44-45.

I think some of the rules this year actually allow to get into a BarryPish style of running. The new 2x 15min rules helps a lot.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 57250 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.