BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-01-21 12:37 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Originally posted by Rollergirl

I will also celebrate my 25th this year....

The 25th anniversary of my 25th birthday that is....

Hard to believe

haha, I love this! I've been saying this year I've been celebrating the 20th anniversary of my 29th birthday! That 5-0 scares me just a little bit. Ack!

That’s one round number I don’t care much for...

I just cannot see me as a 50 yo. Not that I think it’s particularly old, (I don’t consider people in their 50s to be old), It’s not me, that’s all. (Mind you, I am not interested in the only other alternative)

2020-01-21 7:43 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN

Hard to believe

haha, I love this! I've been saying this year I've been celebrating the 20th anniversary of my 29th birthday! That 5-0 scares me just a little bit. Ack!

I just cannot see me as a 50 yo. Not that I think it’s particularly old, (I don’t consider people in their 50s to be old), It’s not me, that’s all. (Mind you, I am not interested in the only other alternative)

I have the same issue. I just turned 40 this year and really have a hard time seeing myself as a 40-year-old. It just seems so different than what I thought it would be. But...as my mom always says...it is better than the alternative!
2020-01-21 7:49 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hour bike on the trainer this morning. A little later, I'm headed out for a run before the contractor gets here. Our repair of some storm damage from this summer is turning into a nightmare. We got a new roof installed over the summer (late July/early August) and then because of racing and my work travel schedule, we didn't get around to having the inside drywall replaced until last week. When the drywall contractors took the drywall and insulation off the ceiling in the one room with major inside damage, they found that the entire roof had been installed incorrectly and was leaking and molding along the entire length of the house. I am so less than pleased. So...for the last week we've had no insulation in the sitting room off our living room (i.e., it is freezing in the house!) and the sitting room has been plastic sheeted off so we can't use that space (not to mention all the stuff everywhere because nothing is in the sitting room anymore!). Today I'll be meeting with the roofing contractors to discuss the course of action, which better be that they are going to do everything I want them to do to remedy the situation and the damage they caused my house. What should have been a one week room remodel is now on week two and is going to involve an entire new roof (again!). Ugh...
2020-01-21 8:08 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by bulfrog

Originally posted by nicole14e

21 x 100 yds on 2 minutes...ouch.

Now that is hard core... But as per the discussion about not stopping at 1900m, why oh why wasn't it 20 x 100? Round numbers are the best.

Very good question! It was supposed to be 20, but I am bad at keeping track when it's all the same thing, and no one else was on my time (some were faster, some were slower), so I had no one else to help me keep track. I went until the person doing 22 on 1:50 finished. She only lapped me once and I finished after her.
2020-01-21 8:12 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hour bike on the trainer this morning. A little later, I'm headed out for a run before the contractor gets here. Our repair of some storm damage from this summer is turning into a nightmare. We got a new roof installed over the summer (late July/early August) and then because of racing and my work travel schedule, we didn't get around to having the inside drywall replaced until last week. When the drywall contractors took the drywall and insulation off the ceiling in the one room with major inside damage, they found that the entire roof had been installed incorrectly and was leaking and molding along the entire length of the house. I am so less than pleased. So...for the last week we've had no insulation in the sitting room off our living room (i.e., it is freezing in the house!) and the sitting room has been plastic sheeted off so we can't use that space (not to mention all the stuff everywhere because nothing is in the sitting room anymore!). Today I'll be meeting with the roofing contractors to discuss the course of action, which better be that they are going to do everything I want them to do to remedy the situation and the damage they caused my house. What should have been a one week room remodel is now on week two and is going to involve an entire new roof (again!). Ugh...

That's horrible! They definitely better take care of all that damage!

Ugh you trust that they are professionals and know what they are doing, and then that happens. Hope it's all fixed quickly!
2020-01-21 8:14 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Swim squad this morning. There was only 2 of us, we got in about 2200 yds.

Also, it is SO COLD outside I don't want to wish time away, but gosh I'm ready for spring.

2020-01-21 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Wow - two pages of updates.  Thanks Jen!!! 

@Jen - I've used both Zwift and TR...much prefer TR for training.  Zwift racing is really fun, though, though it hurts.  A lot.  And people "tech dope" by sandbagging their FTP numbers, so there's that.

I got in a good 100' cycling session yesterday, a mix of tempo, sweet spot, and a little threshold with basically no recovery so it's tough mentally.  This morning was gym today - bike, run, lower body strength and core, and a quick CD swim.  Tomorrow another 90' of sweet spot intervals.

2020-01-21 1:21 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Moonrocket

Andrew- I’d love to hear more about your spin bike vs. trainer decision (also everyone else). I have a $20 yard sale exercise bike and an old magnetic trainer - both of which are crazy loud. I like to watch tv and ride in my basement- but I have to turn it up ridiculously loud.

I’ve been thinking of upgrading to something quieter- but can’t decide between a spin bike and a trainer. I’m leading towards a spin bike because the whole family could use it and my daughter likes to come down to my pain cave and work out with me.

The main reason I went for the spin bike was noise. We have a relatively small house, and I do most of my rides either before the 2 year old wakes up, of after he's gone to bed. So we decided that my magnetic trainer was too loud. Other than a bit of creaking if I don't grease things every few weeks the spin bike is almost silent.

The 2nd reason was space, as I said we have a small house, and I no longer have a dedicated pain cave room. So the spin bike is in the lounge. It takes up a lot less room than a full sized bike on a trainer. So I'm able to leave it ready to go, if I used a bike and trainer Mrs Bullfrog would want it packed away when not in use.

And the final reason was because it's easy to adjust, Mrs Bullfrog can also use it if she wants too.

The negatives, are that I can't perfectly match my position. I got it close, put on clipless pedals etc. but it's not 100%. If money/space etc. was not an issue a bike on a trainer is the best option for tri training IMO. But the spin bike was a good compromise for our situation.

2020-01-21 2:09 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Thought you all might find this funny. Chatting with my wife this morning about the disaster that has become our roof/drywall situation in a room that doesn't really have a name. It is this weird extension added to the back of the house that we didn't really know what to do with it, so over time it has become my workout area. I have the trainer set up there permanently (with TV). My gear lives there, etc. Anyway, I couldn't think of what to call it this morning, so I called it the room of doom. I like that much better than pain cave! I think it will stick.
2020-01-21 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thought you all might find this funny. Chatting with my wife this morning about the disaster that has become our roof/drywall situation in a room that doesn't really have a name. It is this weird extension added to the back of the house that we didn't really know what to do with it, so over time it has become my workout area. I have the trainer set up there permanently (with TV). My gear lives there, etc. Anyway, I couldn't think of what to call it this morning, so I called it the room of doom. I like that much better than pain cave! I think it will stick.

I love room of doom!

My room in the basement has one of those windows that is underground and has a metal casing around it. It looked so bleak that one day when I was in Marshall's I saw these ridiculous blue ceramic dinosaur candle holders on the final clearance section for like $3 each- because who would buy such a thing. So I bought them and now they "live" in the window well. They probably need names come to think of it.
2020-01-21 2:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by bulfrog

Originally posted by Moonrocket

Andrew- I’d love to hear more about your spin bike vs. trainer decision (also everyone else). I have a $20 yard sale exercise bike and an old magnetic trainer - both of which are crazy loud. I like to watch tv and ride in my basement- but I have to turn it up ridiculously loud.

I’ve been thinking of upgrading to something quieter- but can’t decide between a spin bike and a trainer. I’m leading towards a spin bike because the whole family could use it and my daughter likes to come down to my pain cave and work out with me.

The main reason I went for the spin bike was noise. We have a relatively small house, and I do most of my rides either before the 2 year old wakes up, of after he's gone to bed. So we decided that my magnetic trainer was too loud. Other than a bit of creaking if I don't grease things every few weeks the spin bike is almost silent.

The 2nd reason was space, as I said we have a small house, and I no longer have a dedicated pain cave room. So the spin bike is in the lounge. It takes up a lot less room than a full sized bike on a trainer. So I'm able to leave it ready to go, if I used a bike and trainer Mrs Bullfrog would want it packed away when not in use.

And the final reason was because it's easy to adjust, Mrs Bullfrog can also use it if she wants too.

The negatives, are that I can't perfectly match my position. I got it close, put on clipless pedals etc. but it's not 100%. If money/space etc. was not an issue a bike on a trainer is the best option for tri training IMO. But the spin bike was a good compromise for our situation.

Cool! I'm leaning towards spin bike more now. I don't do road tris- only off road tris so the whole aero position thing isn't really applicable- unless I change my mind some day.

So far I'm signed up for an Xterra and a gravel tri- so not sure what bike to use for the later probably just put slicks on my mountain bike or borrow a friend's cross bike. I'm really not a fan of riding next to cars. I totally am that person that turns my head to look and swerves into traffic. I tried and tried but never really got the hang of it. Love, love, love my mountain bike however.

Edited by Moonrocket 2020-01-21 2:44 PM

2020-01-21 2:59 PM

User image

, Vermont

Woooooww, that sounds like a lawsuit if they don't pony up and replace the roof and fix the damage. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this especially in the winter. Stay warm and keep on them.
2020-01-21 3:02 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I like the room of doom too, much better than pain cave! I don’t have one, I do all my workouts outside or at the gym.

2020-01-21 3:02 PM

User image

, Vermont
@ Nathalie, yeah, I don't feel 50 either (outside of not bouncing back from injury like I used to). I can still ripstick down the street with my boys.

@ Gretchen, I would loooove to be 40 again. hahahaha

Hard to believe

I have the same issue. I just turned 40 this year and really have a hard time seeing myself as a 40-year-old. It just seems so different than what I thought it would be. But...as my mom always says...it is better than the alternative!
2020-01-21 3:12 PM

User image

, Vermont
Got in another Zwift ride this morning, trying to get a handle on how it all works aside from just riding and watching my avatar pass and get passed. It was very cool to suddenly feel like I'm going up a hill and have the resistance kick in and have to adjust to it. I think I need to use my laptop though because everything is pretty small on my ipad. Apparently I earned a bike helmet for my avatar to wear. hahaha. This thing may actually get my boys interested in indoor biking in the winter.
I may try and get another swim in tonight while the youngest is at swim practice but the oldest is going through midterms this week and tomorrow is his last day with two tough exams so I want to be available to quiz him if/when he needs it. It's funny I'm nervous for him going through exams.
2020-01-22 5:49 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Got in another Zwift ride this morning, trying to get a handle on how it all works aside from just riding and watching my avatar pass and get passed. It was very cool to suddenly feel like I'm going up a hill and have the resistance kick in and have to adjust to it. I think I need to use my laptop though because everything is pretty small on my ipad. Apparently I earned a bike helmet for my avatar to wear. hahaha. This thing may actually get my boys interested in indoor biking in the winter. I may try and get another swim in tonight while the youngest is at swim practice but the oldest is going through midterms this week and tomorrow is his last day with two tough exams so I want to be available to quiz him if/when he needs it. It's funny I'm nervous for him going through exams.

I'll do you one better...hook up your laptop with an HDMI cable to a 32" TV on a stand/table in front of your bike.  Much more immersive, and you can get a throwaway 32" TV for like $150.  Gives a little better sound quality too.

2020-01-22 7:30 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Got in another Zwift ride this morning, trying to get a handle on how it all works aside from just riding and watching my avatar pass and get passed. It was very cool to suddenly feel like I'm going up a hill and have the resistance kick in and have to adjust to it. I think I need to use my laptop though because everything is pretty small on my ipad. Apparently I earned a bike helmet for my avatar to wear. hahaha. This thing may actually get my boys interested in indoor biking in the winter. I may try and get another swim in tonight while the youngest is at swim practice but the oldest is going through midterms this week and tomorrow is his last day with two tough exams so I want to be available to quiz him if/when he needs it. It's funny I'm nervous for him going through exams.

I'll do you one better...hook up your laptop with an HDMI cable to a 32" TV on a stand/table in front of your bike.  Much more immersive, and you can get a throwaway 32" TV for like $150.  Gives a little better sound quality too.

I agree with the TV hook up. I took an older LCD TV that my kid wasn't using anymore and for about $35 got cables to hook up laptop. I put Zwift on the TV and often run mindless TV shows on my laptop with the sound through the TV. Love Zwift.
2020-01-22 7:36 AM
in reply to: rmschwartz418

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I used Zwift for about three months last year and wasn't really impressed. Maybe it is because I don't give a flip about racing people on a daily basis or that I was using an older laptop that had pretty crap graphics, but it just didn't do if for me. The only think I did like was the workout being preloaded and it just telling me what to do. Now I have to have a cue sheet and pay attention to the time elapsed and such. Eh...tradeoffs?

Early swim for me and then later a medium run of 50'. I think that is going to have to be after work, which means in the dark. I try to avoid running in the dark, where possible, but I don't think there is any getting around it today.
2020-01-22 10:36 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I think pain cave is a good name for a basement workout area or one that has no natural light. I like room of doom for your room Gretchen b/c it sounds like there are at least windows.
2020-01-22 10:37 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went to boot camp this morning. Feeling a bit tired now, and have axes tonight. Gonna take tomorrow off and get some much needed sleep. I blame winter...
2020-01-23 11:45 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hour ride on the trainer this morning (I miss my tv set, which is down for the remodel that will never end). Short run later this afternoon. Looks like it might be snowing by then, which will be fun. I love to run when the snow is falling. I hate to run once it has stuck to the ground!

Contractor was at the house today and they are eagerly going to fix everything and more. I'm actually quite surprised how easy they are being. They are even going to pay the difference between the utility bills for this January and last, due to the lack of insulation and paying for the dog to go to daycare the days they need to work on the roof. I'm kinda holding my breath and waiting for the other shoe to drop here though. Not sure I trust how good this is going (you know...after the bad of the brand new roof failing!).

2020-01-23 1:44 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Hour ride on the trainer this morning (I miss my tv set, which is down for the remodel that will never end). Short run later this afternoon. Looks like it might be snowing by then, which will be fun. I love to run when the snow is falling. I hate to run once it has stuck to the ground!

Contractor was at the house today and they are eagerly going to fix everything and more. I'm actually quite surprised how easy they are being. They are even going to pay the difference between the utility bills for this January and last, due to the lack of insulation and paying for the dog to go to daycare the days they need to work on the roof. I'm kinda holding my breath and waiting for the other shoe to drop here though. Not sure I trust how good this is going (you know...after the bad of the brand new roof failing!).

That's exciting! To be fair, it would be really bad business for them not to cover these things. My boss has two A/C units, and one needed replaced. They replaced the wrong one, and then wanted to charge her to replace the right one, even though the other had been functioning just fine. Sounds like your people are accepting responsibility and doing the right thing, and hopefully they continue to do so!
2020-01-23 1:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

That's awesome!!!

I got a run in today - the same 4 minutes jog one minute walk is getting more doable. A playlist I like on spotify really makes it better.

I have a smart tv in my workout room- I need to add spotify app to it and maybe some of the others- thinking of buying a spin bike this weekend- eyeing the Schwinn IC4 apparently it works with Zwift and Peloton etc. But usually I just like to listen to music or watch tv. Last night when I was riding people were buying REALLY nice beach houses on HGTV.

2020-01-23 2:13 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I can't find the message now (of course!), but someone mentioned that they can't/don't listen to the tv while on the trainer because it is really loud. I have the same problem and usually ride while my wife is at work to accommodate her desire to not be blown out of the house, but if you use a Roku stick, you can channel the sound through the app on your phone to your headphones.
2020-01-23 2:29 PM

User image

Pretty much all my runs are outdoor, my wife has a nice little gym set up in the garage (that I use way to little), my trainer gets set up on our back patio. So I have an unholy lani? A vile veranda? A torture porch? Oh, the trials of living in Florida...

Gretchen, fixing everything and making you happy is probably cheaper and easier for them than fighting a lawsuit it sounds like they'd have a hard time winning.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 7240 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123