BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Atl_runner's group - full for now. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2007-06-12 3:15 PM
in reply to: #841404

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: RE: Atl_runner's group - 2 spots open

atl_runner - 2007-06-12 2:02 PM I could put something together for you.. very beginner centric. The way we can work it is i'll send you something through to the race date, you send it back with any changes you might want to put in there, then I will finalize it and send it back to you. Look for something tomorrow or wednesday. Only one qustion I have for you.. where do you want to start with all your distances? I can suggest, but I would like to know what you think instinctively.

That would be awesome!  I'm not really sure what to start out with for distances....For biking, aside from my long ride w/my family over the weekend my target is usually about 12 miles, or as much as I can do in an hour. (My goal average speed is 14 but I don't always get up to that).  For swimming I've been using workouts from a book that are usually between 1000 and 1400m which is a good but doable workout.  For running I really have no idea.  The dr. said that if I do ok w/my orthotics building up the time i'm wearing them through friday then I can start easy running workouts on the weekend.  He didn't really give any guidlines for that (though I will be talking to him again on friday), but I'm thinking something similar to the couch to 5k plan here.  That's what I was using before and it was going really well until my shins gave out on me.  I was doing 30min runs and each week making a bit more of the 30 min. running.  The distances were usually in the 2-2.5 mile range, but I didn't really pay attention to the distances I was running...i just focused on minutes running vs. walking. While I really want to get some good running build up going since that is by far my weakest link, I'm very protective of my shins and don't want to push too hard and end up starting all over with the shin pain.

Edited by lil_turtle 2007-06-12 3:16 PM

2007-06-12 3:34 PM
in reply to: #805274

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
ok.. thanks.. that's all I need to get you started. This will be essentially a bridge plan, and the goal will be to just complete the triathlon.. which you should have no troubles with at all. You already have a slight base of which to work off of. I have some ideas for your running. No worries, we'll start carefully with that. Thanks for the info. Plan will be coming sometime tomorrow or Thursday. Hopefully tomorrow though.
2007-06-12 4:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Good for you lil turtle on picking an event! It sounds like you should have no problem finishing it with what you have been doing.
2007-06-12 9:30 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

I'm excited for you lil turtle!  I wish I would have had some professional guidance for my first one!  The next month or so is going to be a great journey for you.

After races two weekends in a row, this weekend I won't be racing--but I will be doing the legendary Horribly Hilly Hundreds 100k ride on Saturday.  In 67.1 miles, the course climbs a whopping 5,700 feet.

For those of you who haven't heard of it, here's a snippet from the web site:

Set in Southwest Wisconsin, the route starts in the charming village of Blue Mounds, in an area of strong Norwegian heritage (biking like a viking!). It makes its way west towards Barneveld, deceptively easy at first, until it climbs 600 feet on Mounds Park Road, coming oh so close to the finish line — a line that you won't see until some time later. The ride winds back through the village of Blue Mounds and heads north to continue the fun. The course is hilly — horribly hilly — and manages to find every famous climb in the area, including Barlow Road, Pinnacle Road, and the last 3.5 miles and 900 feet up tortuous Mounds Park Road, into the park and all the way to the top of the mound (just to mention three of the more than 40 significant climbs).

It's gonna hurt!!!

2007-06-12 9:35 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

Hi Pene and Bill!  Welcome to the group.

Pene, congrats on the tri last weekend!  I grew up in LaCrosse and my mom still lives there.  I'm there every once in a while, though my mom will tell you it's not nearly enough!

Bill, congrats on being in the best shape of your life.  Honestly, I am there right now too (with a few months more of building to go before IMWI), and it's pretty damn exciting.  I admire big guys who tri, last weekend at the tri I cheered harder for the clydes than anyone.

2007-06-12 11:49 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks for the welcome, Peter! I discovered today that my first outdoor tri debut made the Sports page of the LaCrosse Tribune--there I am in my wetsuit about to enter the water! How cool is that? I don't have any other pics of me as my mom took my kids for a week and I went alone. Everyone I knew there was racing, too, and pictures were just the last thing on my mind.

So, you are doing the Horribly Hilly Hundred, eh? Good prep for IMMOO! Just HOW hilly is the bike course for IMMOO anyway?? I'm in Cashton, which as you know is very close to LaCrosse and we do have some pretty good hills here in the Coulee region--is the Madtown course worse that our hills???

Anything else you care to share with me about what in the world I should be doing in prep for IM Madison in 15 months???? My next race is a little tri in Wautoma over the 4th of July, then the Bix 7 the end of July. Then 2 aquathons in August in Madison. A Century ride over Labor Day with the Bombay Bicycle Club, a half marathon in the Quad Cities Sept. 23 and the Grand Rapids, Michigan Full marathon October 28. Then winter training---uuggghhh. Then I'll do the "intermediate" distance in West Salem NEXT June, and the High Cliff Half IM NEXT June 2 weeks later......and then IMMOO 2008. If I survive all that, I'll write a book, make a ton of money and retire lol

And BILL--you'll be doing an IM LONG before you are 50. I'll give you the IM bug, cuz I have it BAD. If I can do it, trust me, you can, too. I just did a 7 mile "run" that was barely over a walk and HURT as my hamstrings are still sore from Sunday's tri. I'm trying to be good and keep it all within proper HR zones and that is barely over a walk for me at this point......pitiful! But I'm reading a book called Working Out, Working Within--a Tao mental training book for athletes--and I really like it. It says to stop looking at things as failures and just look at them as indicators of where to grow. Right now I'm sort of a tri "twig" that hopefully will grow in time into a full tri "tree". Preferably one of those huge redwoods like the ones in California!!!

Atl runner--I'll take whatever advice you have to give. I just can't believe you manage to find the time to help us with IMMOO training. It's a full time job! Or at least the plans I look at seem so. Do you plan to come to Wisconsin to train this summer? Or have you been doing that? You and Peter should hook up and train together.....

2007-06-13 12:27 AM

User image

New user

Moscow,
Hiya! Can this gal up in the North West Join too?

I just ran my first 1/2 iron and finished pretty well: 5:26:01. Beyond my expectations, and I feel like I've got abit more to give. I like that you are someone seeking to push and motivate. My next race is the Dessert 1/2 Iron July 8th in preparation for Ironman Canada at the end of August. Any support and guidance would be so helpful... I find maintaining that faith and mental strength is tough.
2007-06-13 3:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
London
*News Flash* I am alive still!!

sorry I've not been on here for a while but I'm down in the big smoke this week and working 24/7. Sometimes I hate being so gosh darn good and popular!! Anyway, I've found the gym in the hotel (no pool though ) so will be hitting that tonight ..... it's opposite the exec lounge though, so it could prove dangerous!

Pene (like the pasta? sorry.) and Bill - Welcome to the group!

Kim - You rock! Good effort, girl.

aynsley_oh - Welcome to the group too!

The rest of you - keep up the good work! I'll be back proper next week and will be catching up with you all.

Right, gotta go be awesome again now. It's tough, but when you're this darn good *shrugs*

2007-06-13 7:26 AM

User image

Expert
Okay, GreyCat--just WHAT kind of work do you do?? Sounds more like a vacation to me! And yes, it's pronounced like the pasta I DO think I live in entirely the wrong country--I know of another fellow there in the UK and he is supposedly a lawyer--but he has way too much fun at it and even admits he's on the computer posting to BT all day at "work". I'm just not convinced this self employment gig in a capitalist country is the way to go.......I don't get a Bank Holiday!! Anyhoo--have fun!!

Ansley--My goodness, you have ambition! I think you should teach us! Five hours for an HIM is very, very good, in my humble opinion! Love the avatar, too--are you holding up a trophy?

Lil turtle--congrats on your graduation! After graduating from chiropractic college, (a million years ago), I was exhausted!! I wouldn't have had any energy for swim-bike-run! and your time with the swim is just fine for now! Heck, I did 3 minutes/100 in the OWS at this last tri, mainly because I kept almost missing the buoys, and also because there were women right on my tail and in front and side of me the whole way. Just couldn't find my own spot. The open water is soo much different than the pool--so much so that I'm just not going into the pool much this summer. I'm going to get a friend to help me in the lake tomorrow--he taught swim and competitively swam for years. Don't know if he'll be much help in the lake, but he'll teach me in barter for adjustments for himself and his wife, so cool beans!!! I personally do much better with some one-on-one instruction, rather than a group type class. You'll be swimming circles around the snobby master's folks in no time!!! I have complete faith in you! What program/degree did you accomplish, btw??

Been trying to catch up on the posts for this thread, but haven't read them all. Like what I've read so far though, and a big hello to all!!
2007-06-13 9:34 AM

User image

Expert

Just a quick note to say hello to our new folks... "Hello."

Aynes-5:26 for your first HIM is fan-freaking-tastic...very impressive.  I'll be checking out your logs to gleen some tips for my own training

So who's racing this weekend?

• Peter is doing an uber hilly ride this weekend.
  • I'm doing the 5430 Sprint in Boulder
  • Anyone want to add to the list??

2007-06-13 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
London
Subject: RE: Atl_runner's group - full for now.
Pene - it's not all that exciting as it's IT based but it's going to be lots of hard work breifing, assessing and teaching the rest of the IT group down in our "glorious" capital. oh well, i get to hang out in a nice hotel for most of the trip so it's not too bad. It has seriously messed with my training though! Can't find a pool open the right hours and I'd only get lost if I want for a run outside. hate the Dread-Mill but needs must

Ansley - I missed your time in your post - [posh english accent] bl00dy good show, old girl! [/posh english accent]

Not racing this week or over the next few ones either though will be hunting one or two down for July run up to London Tri.

Training this weekend if going to be hit n miss (mostly miss so far) but it's only a week and I should be able to get back on track when I'm back in the right end of the country.

2007-06-13 5:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Hello to all the new people!

Bill, good to be back with you. Look forward to the next few months. You did so well in your first tri this year and looks like you have a lot of good goals mapped out.

Ansley, you are so fast! Congratulations on a great race.

Pene, sounds like you had a great race too recently! These IMMOO guys will surely have lots of good advice for you. I am doing IMFL, and so have learned a lot from them already.

Sorry I didn't post my schedule for the week. I sort of forgot! I think it was all that lake water I swallowed on Sunday. I promise to do better next week. Please forgive me.

Edited by kimje 2007-06-13 5:18 PM
2007-06-15 10:30 AM

Just want to welcome the newest members.  I haven't contributed as much as I'd like to have lately due to an injury but I'll be back in action as soon as I can!
2007-06-15 10:48 AM

User image

Expert

So I've got this sprint race this weekend and it's technically a C race, but I just found out one of my buddies is racing it. We started doing tri's at the same time, we have almost the exact same body type, we're very closely matched in all 3 disciplines but he always seems to be faster - especially come race day. And I really want to beat him in the worst way. I "just happened" to notice in his log that his race goals are almost identical to mine. I don't want to put my goals in my log, cuz I know he'll see them , so I'll put them here.

Swim: 13:20 @ 1:40/100
T1: 1:30
Bike: 45:38 @ 22.3 mph
T2: 1:00
Run: 20:59 @ 6:45/mile

There are alot of question marks w/ these goals though. First, if I hit these goals, every single one of them will be a PR. Second, I've been having problems w/ my quads cramping on the run after the bike. Third, my training has been sketchy this past month.

On the plus side, when I have done my workouts, I've felt pretty fast and my times have been confirming it. Also, Another friend is letting me borrow his Zipp 404s for the race, so I'm hoping I'll get some free speed on the bike. Last and maybe most important, I got a real bike fit this week and will be using Endurolytes to combat the cramping.

Sorry for being so long winded - I guess I'm just getting really amped up for this race.

Edited by TriForrestTri 2007-06-15 11:03 AM
2007-06-15 11:39 AM
in reply to: #845722

Regular
hello all!

been pretty busy at work lately.. i'm trying hard to wake up early and get my workout in first thing in morning because i've been going straight to bed after work... waking up is sooo hard ..

TriForrestTri: good luck on this weekend's race! hope you get to beat your friend bad!
2007-06-15 12:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
TriForrestTri,

I say go for your goals as long as you don't blow up on the bike trying to do it! I bet those Zipps make the miles go by fast. What a nice friend! Your friend had better watch out. Hope you meet all your goals and look forward to reading your race report.

2007-06-15 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
Triforrest--Good luck on your race! You sound pumped so I know you'll do well! Tell me more about Endurolytes, please. Haven't heard of those, but I have problems with cramping on long runs, too.

Triornot--Work really DOES get in the way of our training!! Not fair, not fair. I want to be like the pro's and just have 3-4 hours training a day (at most) and then "recover"after!!! But for those of us in the real world (and I am self-employed so my work is never really done, plus I have THREE little kids!), all I can say is--COFFEE IS MY FRIEND! I eat right away, just something fairly light, and at least hop on bike on trainer or treadmill to whatever funky music I feel like moving to. Right now it's some funky TRANCE music I just got--great for establishing steady cadence!!! Just try the 10 minute rule--do something for at least 10 minutes, and if it turns into more than that, great! Every mile counts!!! Then I'm pumped up and ready to take on my long days at work knowing that I DID something!!
2007-06-16 11:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
London
hey all,

just checking back in after a week away for work. only managed to get a run in whilst away but it was a 10km TT so at least it's something. hopefully it'll all be back to usual on monday maybe even tomorrow with a ride n swim

oh, on a plus note I seem to have lost half a stone at some point in the last month or so. might have to look at shift some more now
2007-06-17 6:25 PM

User image

Master

Group,

Finally meet our leader.  Younger than I expected (older than me I think, I guess I was expecting my dad or something LOL).  I've trained with his wife several times (we are all part of the same tri club) and for some reason I expected someone older.  I guess it's all the wisdom I've read here.  Anyway, awesome guy and awesome little girls too (we all manned the drink station today while our wife's did the Ryka IronGirl). 

Here is my schedule outline (things will have to be moved around) for the upcoming week (same as last week and week before - Thank God this is the last week of filler week before I start the offical BT Oly plan)

• Mon - swim 45m/2000y; bike 50m
  • Tue - Run 3 miles
  • Wed - swim 1h/3200y; run 6 miles
  • Thur - bike 1 hr, run 3 miles
  • Fri - swim 1500/30m
  • Sat - ride 1h30m.  I think this might be the day we are doing a swim fund raiser that I told Fun Killer I'd try to swim in.  It's 4 hours total and I don't know what my goals should be.  Maybe 2 hour swim just to see if I can do it. 
  • Sun - ride 30 min; run 10 miles

Edited by jonathan22 2007-06-17 6:36 PM
2007-06-17 7:42 PM

User image

Expert
Well, I'm glad someone met Fearless Leader. Was wondering if he's still alive! Of course, I realize he's busy training for that IM

As far as posting goals: I clearly overdid it last week and had one of my adrenal episodes today. A few years back my adrenals completely crashed and I had to take dexamethasone injections in my legs for a year and a half. I did every known alternative type treatment available and got off the horrible meds, but I still have to watch it. The signs were there, but I overrode them because my kids were gone all week to my mom's. Which was like heaven in many ways for this single mom with delusions of IM-dom. Anyhoo, I'm not going to plan anything this week. I'm going to be good and rest for a change and get enough sleep for a change and even clean my house (well, my version of cleaning is a clean fork and a towel that doesn't smell too bad, enough clothes for everyone to look reasonable, and maybe a clear path to the couch that I no longer sit on!) and pay attention to my rugrats! And work, of course. I'll be working til I'm 107 at least!

No seriously, I hope to get one 7 mile run in and one 35 mile bike and one OWS 1000y. I'll be happy with that.

Triforrest--can't wait to hear about that race!
2007-06-18 10:02 AM
in reply to: #847805

User image

Expert

Phoenix - Hope you're feeling better. I've not heard of adrenal problems before, but it sounds like it could be kinda nasty?!? As for the Endurolytes, they're an electrolyte replacement product from Hammer Nutrition. I think they're mainly intended for longer workouts when you're sweating out a large amount of salts/electrolytes. They're comparable to salt tabs, but are supposed to be better due to additional electrolytes. They certainly helped in my race this weekend. I pushed harder on the bike than I normally do and didn't have any cramping issues.

As for the race, it was absolutely incredible. My friend, Ryan and I finished less than a second apart. Here's the race report .

Edited by TriForrestTri 2007-06-18 10:03 AM

2007-06-18 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

Hi all, yes, I am alive.. hard to believe, I know. I pretty much hit a wall last week.. my log even proves it.. I needed to step away from everything for a few days to kind of get a good understanding of 'me' going forward, including my IM, my training, and well, just life stuff. I called it a stand down.. anyone know what that means? Not a big deal, just one of those times you feel slightly overwhelmed by everything, and you need to take one step back to gain focus and such.. anyway, I have not abandoned anyone or anything and am ready to go.. whew...  

This also means I have been a major slacker.. 4 days off.. unplanned. Seriously.. I needed it, but still, that's it. Back to working out tonight. I want to review a few things, then I'll be back on for more comments.

Also, was great manning a water stop with J22 yesterday. Giving back as a volunteer is a great feeling, I highly recommend it.

2007-06-18 1:09 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

Man TFT.. that is a great race.. I got my race fix just by reading your race report. Thanks!. Seriously though.. once you saw your friend, my suggestion is if they are within 10 feet or less, (that's really close), then give up the place and give it to them.. until the last 3/10ths of a mile.. (not the finish shute..). Why? Because the guy in the back ALWAYS has the advantage (again, when it's within a certain range).

Me and my friends call it sandbagging... everybody does it.

2007-06-18 2:24 PM

User image

Ocean Springs, MS (on the Gulf of Mexico)
Well, thank you to everyone for letting me into the group. I have been on travel as well to Los Angeles. I was able to keep my running schedule so I got some good mileage in last week. I am in a place where I have never been before and my body is (shins and ankles) letting me know it.

I was able to stop in to a Road Runner Sports retail store while in the LA area and got my running analyzed for new shoes. It was great. Everything was computerized and it was reassuring that the shoes I have been running in are the right ones for me. Running is my tri limiter and I am a relative newbie at it. I learned a lot through this visit.

If all y'all didn't know, I am training for the Chicago Marathon in the fall through Team N' Training (fundraiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society). I am just getting the fundraising part started so if you would sponsor me, I would really appreciate it. Here's my website:

http://www.active.com/donate/tntms/msManduca

Check it out. It is a great cause!

I am racing in honor of two very young patients (Jake, 19months and Marganie, 6 yrs) both from Mississippi who were just diagnosed within the last six months. Jake is VERY sick at the moment and needs our prayers most of all.

I have to be honest I am scared spitless at the prospects of running a marathon! I will look forward to any encouragement you guys can give. Running this marathon is a big hurdle to overcome and achieve my goal of doing an Ironman before I am 50.

Well gotta justify the paycheck. See y'all later.

2007-06-18 3:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
London
non-tri related but ......... I got a new job!! so drinks / juices on me!

in honor of this training's off tonight and i'm going for a leg massage. I put the effort in yesterday (2hrs climbing straight into 1:30 of playing squash and then an hours swim) so it' not too bad.

keep up the good work, folks! Good effort on the races BTW

Fearless leader - worry not, I know exactly where you're coming from. take the "me" time, get it sorted and kick it in the !
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Atl_runner's group - full for now. Rss Feed  

of 15