Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2008-01-03 3:29 PM
in reply to: #1130880

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Subject: RE: owl_girl's Group --- FULL!

Baowolf - 2008-01-03 9:43 AM I can identify with the written language part, even though English is my first language folks think it must be my 2nd or 3rd 8). As for being alone with exercize, I identify there as well. I own 1 of 2 road bikes in my town and when I run people stop their cars to ask if I am ok as obviously the only reason to be jogging along the side of the road is that one's car has broken down somewhere. Even the children where I live are extremely hesitant to try any new sport. Over the past 2 years since we got our boat we have invited many adults friends, their children and neighbors to come to the lake to learn how to waterski. All of them would rather sit in 100 degree weather and do nothing rather than learn to wateski for free. I didn't even botther asking them to try windsurfing, snowskiing, cross country skiing, etc. But, its all good, it is fun to see the expression on their face when I run by in shorts when it is 30 degrees out. Going hiking with the family today.

I can TOTALLY relate, Steve!  I had no support from friends and co-workers when I lived in southern Oregon.  Farming areas have a different view on exercise.

I hope you had fun hiking!

2008-01-03 3:32 PM
in reply to: #1130996

User image

Elite
far northern CA

michaeldhess - 2008-01-03 10:20 AM I have luke warm support in my office; however sadly, nobody is up for the same challenge. Where I worked last year, my boss was the one who got me interested in triathlons. She did several a year, in additon to some half marathons. I would have already run one but had to move last August and it messed with my training and the season basically ended by September. Did anybody else notice the spike in attendance at the gyms yet? I can't wait for February and the fall-off!

My pool is absolutely insane right now!  Yeah, the gyms are busy but that makes me HAPPY!!!!

2008-01-03 3:41 PM
in reply to: #1131336

User image

Elite
far northern CA
MDHillSlug - 2008-01-03 11:41 AM

If anyone wants to add the cool mentor group list I've got, then insert this text into your goals section:

Owl Girl's Mentoring Group

• owl_girl

• MDHillSlug

• Baowolf

• celena

• mac3116

• michaeldhess

• princessamy

• Rodney

• ronislye

• sdbryant

Thanks Nicole!  I've been wondering how to do this!

How do you do this with other things?  I'm totally ignorant!

2008-01-03 3:48 PM
in reply to: #1131745

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
owl_girl - 2008-01-03 4:41 PM
MDHillSlug - 2008-01-03 11:41 AM

If anyone wants to add the cool mentor group list I've got, then insert this text into your goals section:

Owl Girl's Mentoring Group

• owl_girl

• MDHillSlug

• Baowolf

• celena

• mac3116

• michaeldhess

• princessamy

• Rodney

• ronislye

• sdbryant

Thanks Nicole! I've been wondering how to do this!

How do you do this with other things? I'm totally ignorant!

Depends on what you want to do. What do you want to do? 

2008-01-03 3:55 PM
in reply to: #1131767

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Hmm.  Well, just general playing with my goals and such.  Do I need to know html in order to do this?  Or, can I do it with the special tool bar?

2008-01-03 3:58 PM
in reply to: #1131678

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
owl_girl - 2008-01-03 4:22 PM

OK. That was a lot of information. Lets talk about long duration workout nutrition and race nutrition over the weekend.

What type of sports drinks, gels, bars, etc. has everyone tried?

I do most of my training first thing in the am (6am

For running or swimming I just drink water, but I do an Accelgel at least 10 minutes before heading out. These WO's are always under 50 minutes. For biking on the trainer stand, water only (no gel)

For biking outside I've found that a nice bowl of Cheerios with milk and either juice or a yogurt get me going good. During the ride I do Shot Bloks, Sport Beans, and Clif bars. My favorite drink for riding is cranberry juice (slightly diluted) with added electrolytes.

I like the general concept and composition of the Accelerade, but the lemonade powder I've tried has a terrible flavor. I'd like to try some other flavrs but don't want to buy a big can to find out I don't like it. 

I got to try the Nuun tablets/drink at the rest stops during my Tour de Cure ride; I didn't like it and generally heard everyone saying the same thing.

I kinda liked the Gu, but the consistency was a bit too thick. 

2008-01-03 4:01 PM
in reply to: #1131795

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
owl_girl - 2008-01-03 4:55 PM

Hmm. Well, just general playing with my goals and such. Do I need to know html in order to do this? Or, can I do it with the special tool bar?

You can play with fonts, colors, links, lists, etc using the toolbar, but they don't have anything for creating tables. You need to know some html for that.
2008-01-03 4:40 PM
in reply to: #1092958

User image

What type of sports drinks, gels, bars, etc. has everyone tried?

I have used Gatorade, Accelerade and recently started using FRS. I don't mean to pimp it, but with full discolsure in mind, they are potentially one of my clients and I've been given several cases. I really like it. I drank one just before the Honolulu Marathon and one right after. I now drink one before every workout. I can't say that I've noticed any difference with Gatorade , Accelerade seems to be benificial, but FRS seems to help a bit more. Having said that, it's difficult to compare apples to apples because every race and every condition is different.

Gels - I like Gu better than any of the other Gels. Part of it is flavor, but part of it is that Gu seems to work better with my body than some of the others, especially the Power Bar gel.

As far as Bars, there's one at the corner of Jefferson and 15th... oh wait, that's a different kind of bar. I've really not tried too many of the bars and haven't been excited about the ones I have tried. It's mostly a taste issue as well as consistency. They seem very heavy. I have tried the Snickers Marathon bars but they seem more like candy.

2008-01-03 4:54 PM
in reply to: #1131530

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
i been doing some thinking sense this came up and it all started with me this summer . and the reason i think is cause it is so hot down here when the sun comes up i have to get out to run around 4:30 am. so i wowuld be up at like 2-2:30 to eat before i would run . now that the weather has changed i dont think that the body has .
2008-01-03 6:33 PM
in reply to: #1131678

User image

Virginia
I'm not big on sports drinks, gels, bars, etc. I've always thought it a waste of money; however, I've recently decided to add a high protein drink after my workouts. It's called Xyience Xprotein. I also take Flexamin with Glucosamine, Chondritin and MSM. Other than that, I have my three meals a day and occasional fruit salad. But I'm not perfect and eat bad stuff too. I'm just trying to limit it though.

2008-01-04 10:08 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Good morning everyone!  What's the plan for today?  It is dumping buckets here so I'm staying indoors.  (Read......boring trainer ride.)  Cheers!

2008-01-04 10:24 AM
in reply to: #1133399

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
I was a weather weenie this morning (it was 18 degrees F) and did my run on the treadmill at the pool. Hopefully I'll get outside tomorrow (or Sunday) for a ride.
2008-01-04 10:48 AM

User image

Vancouver BC

it my rest day and i feeling annoyed by that fact. so I might do some thing later just  cause.

I basically done 0 work this week so I am thinking i might want try to do some of that  but we will see.

on the Happy note today is the day the out side sales guy come in to the office so it normally doughnuts but he  bought me 12 grain begal I will only eat 0ne side but still nice he was thinking. These guys might think running for the phone is a work out but at least they try hard to suport me.

2008-01-04 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1133446

User image

Virginia
I was lucking and had a swim and strength workout today.

Don't worry though, it's due to get warmer here in VA starting this weekend!

Edited by michaeldhess 2008-01-04 11:11 AM
2008-01-04 3:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
Hi everyone. Happy Friday!!! I had a great workout last night. Spin class had classic Spanish music with a great tempo...and a fantastic rendition of Stairway to Heaven. I lifted for a bit before swim practice, and then did a 45min swim. And the end of the workout we set up a little pool triathlon -- swim 300m, kick 150m, pull 300m. I finished 2nd behind another gal and both of us kicked the guys booties. :-) Today was mellow, tomorrow is a hard day again (swim, spin, run...in the pool).

Race/training nutrition: I'm a big fan of Luna bars. I personally like the taste and have found them to be easy on the digestion system. They're marketed for women, but I know men who like them as well. I also use GU, but make sure to drink lots of water with it. I learned that the hard way... For sports drink I use a product called "Gleukos". It's like Gatorade, but has less ingredients and a milder taste. Other than that, I haven't had much opportunity to play with what I intake during training. I bonked big time on the Seattle-to-Portland ride this past summer (double century) and am looking forward to learning more about endurance nutrition.

I hope you all have a fantastic weekend!
Sarah
2008-01-04 5:14 PM
in reply to: #1134323

User image

Sarah,  I've tried the Gleukos too, but seem to have better performance with the FRS. Gleukos seems to quench thirst more, but FRS helps me more with recovery.

For long training runs, not races, how does everyone deal with hydration issues? It's not like we can set a bottle of Gatorade five miles into the run and then hope it's there when we run past it. I plan my runs so that I pass my house every 4 or 5 miles, depending on my route and have something there waiting for me. This is OK for when I run near the house, but for trail running I really don't like running with a container.

2008-01-04 5:26 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Hello Everyone!  Minor catastrophe here in Northern California at the Owl house.  The wind has been blowing so friggin hard that the fence came down and my three dogs went on a neighborhood tour!  Needless to say, I won't be around very much this weekend.  Need to fix the fence.  Hmm.  My dogs sure had a good time!
2008-01-04 5:30 PM
in reply to: #1134729

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Rodney - 2008-01-04 3:14 PM

Sarah,  I've tried the Gleukos too, but seem to have better performance with the FRS. Gleukos seems to quench thirst more, but FRS helps me more with recovery.

For long training runs, not races, how does everyone deal with hydration issues? It's not like we can set a bottle of Gatorade five miles into the run and then hope it's there when we run past it. I plan my runs so that I pass my house every 4 or 5 miles, depending on my route and have something there waiting for me. This is OK for when I run near the house, but for trail running I really don't like running with a container.

I don't bother taking water or anything if I'm going for a run of about an hour.  (I wouldn't recomend doing this, though.)  If I go longer, I drive the route and stash water bottles in the bushes at strategic locations.  I don't like running with a container either.  I've tried them all and nothing feels right.

2008-01-04 5:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
I use a fuel belt for runs of 90 minutes or more. I imagine I'll be using it for shorter runs in the summer too. I found one that is super comfy for me. I can't think of the brand name now, but it's their new style. It's blue, I think it actually says "Fuel Belt" on it, and is really stretchy. It has four 8-oz bottles and a little stash pouch.

Tracy, how beneficial do you think pool running is? My knee is still giving me problems and I want to stay off it until next Friday. I have a borrowed pool belt/buoy thing for running in the deep end. But I don't want to waste my time if spinning or something would be better to keep my cardio up. The half marathon is in three weeks!!!
2008-01-04 5:49 PM
in reply to: #1134770

User image

Elite
far northern CA

sdbryant - 2008-01-04 3:40 PM I use a fuel belt for runs of 90 minutes or more. I imagine I'll be using it for shorter runs in the summer too. I found one that is super comfy for me. I can't think of the brand name now, but it's their new style. It's blue, I think it actually says "Fuel Belt" on it, and is really stretchy. It has four 8-oz bottles and a little stash pouch. Tracy, how beneficial do you think pool running is? My knee is still giving me problems and I want to stay off it until next Friday. I have a borrowed pool belt/buoy thing for running in the deep end. But I don't want to waste my time if spinning or something would be better to keep my cardio up. The half marathon is in three weeks!!!

Hi Sarah!  Pool running is excellent, however, there is a learning curve.  Just make sure you go for the same amount of time you would have run that particular day.  Go by how you feel (RPE scale) in regards to intensity.  A few years ago, a woman either won or got second at one of the major marathons after an injury forced her to do pool running.  I'll have to look up who it was and let you know.

Check out this website.  They have some great pool running exercises.

http://aqxsports.com/index.php

2008-01-04 5:55 PM
in reply to: #1134770

User image

Elite
far northern CA

sdbryant - 2008-01-04 3:40 PM I use a fuel belt for runs of 90 minutes or more. I imagine I'll be using it for shorter runs in the summer too. I found one that is super comfy for me. I can't think of the brand name now, but it's their new style. It's blue, I think it actually says "Fuel Belt" on it, and is really stretchy. It has four 8-oz bottles and a little stash pouch. Tracy, how beneficial do you think pool running is? My knee is still giving me problems and I want to stay off it until next Friday. I have a borrowed pool belt/buoy thing for running in the deep end. But I don't want to waste my time if spinning or something would be better to keep my cardio up. The half marathon is in three weeks!!!

I really don't like anything strapped tight around my waist.  Even my running shorts are too tight!  I try to buy shorts that have that little pocket in the back.  Those seem to be best for me for carrying gels.  I have another pair of shorts with little pockets on either side.  They are also just big enough for a gel packet.  Unfortunately, one time I tried to stuff 2 gel packets in each pocket and I had to fight with holding my shorts up!  It was a sight!

2008-01-05 12:58 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
It rained all day today... so I got a free gym pass from my mother in law (who I am visiting) and did 36 miles on the bike and then ran a 10k in 52 min. Last time I actually timed a 10k on the treadmill it was like 58 minutes, so that is good (although I am at sea level). Anyway the workout was no problem so if I only had a place to swim I would probably be set for an olympic tri.

I also don't bother with water for runs of 1 hour or less. I did a 90 min run the other day and used the camelback I use for my long bike rides (backpack style) and it was really annoying, I had to keep sinching the straps down tight because it was rubbing on my shoulders (might have been better with a sweatshirt). Since tomorrow I will be going back to nowheresville I picked up the fanny pack style camelback (45 oz) Fastflow I think it was called. I am driving 700 miles in snow and rain tomorrow, but I will report on it after I give do some runs in it under different conditions.

This summer I will be running in 90 degree weather so I figured I'm gona need something.

From what I have read about pool running it is the way to go for recovering from leg issues. They even have funky underwater treadmills and such. Ok everyone is doing great and thanks for the nutrition info, I will have to get better at that stuff as my endurance builds.

Oh and anyone know of a half marathon in northern Ca, southern Or or norther Nevada coming up in the next several months. I have been searching online, but haven't found a lot of wintery halfs. Or maybe some good web search locations.

Edited by Baowolf 2008-01-05 1:02 AM
2008-01-05 11:51 AM

User image

Vancouver BC

hope your fence building is going well owl And every one else weekend is going as planed

I wear a fany pack at work all day  holds my head set batteries transmitter  and my water   so  I am thinking it should be ok when I  going to need  much later on  carry water or gels just to where a fany pack cuase iam already use to have one on about 8 hour 5 days a week.  Well admit here u talk about all this stuff mostly just goes over my head  going to have to go to the store and look at some of it at least so I know.

I have done my bike already today but think i am going to do a good pool work out not jsut the 100 yards my plan calls for. and see how that feels.  enjoy your weekend  all

2008-01-05 3:52 PM
in reply to: #1135351

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Baowolf - 2008-01-04 10:58 PM It rained all day today... so I got a free gym pass from my mother in law (who I am visiting) and did 36 miles on the bike and then ran a 10k in 52 min. Last time I actually timed a 10k on the treadmill it was like 58 minutes, so that is good (although I am at sea level). Anyway the workout was no problem so if I only had a place to swim I would probably be set for an olympic tri. I also don't bother with water for runs of 1 hour or less. I did a 90 min run the other day and used the camelback I use for my long bike rides (backpack style) and it was really annoying, I had to keep sinching the straps down tight because it was rubbing on my shoulders (might have been better with a sweatshirt). Since tomorrow I will be going back to nowheresville I picked up the fanny pack style camelback (45 oz) Fastflow I think it was called. I am driving 700 miles in snow and rain tomorrow, but I will report on it after I give do some runs in it under different conditions. This summer I will be running in 90 degree weather so I figured I'm gona need something. From what I have read about pool running it is the way to go for recovering from leg issues. They even have funky underwater treadmills and such. Ok everyone is doing great and thanks for the nutrition info, I will have to get better at that stuff as my endurance builds. Oh and anyone know of a half marathon in northern Ca, southern Or or norther Nevada coming up in the next several months. I have been searching online, but haven't found a lot of wintery halfs. Or maybe some good web search locations.

Hey Steve!  Check out my race log for the exact dates of a couple of 10 mile runs that are really fun.  The first one is in Redding, CA on March 1.  (This is an exact date.  The flyer is staring at me right now.)  The second one is the Pear Blossom Run in Medford, OR on April 12.

http://www.pearblossomrun.com/

http://www.sweatrc.com/NorCal/index.html

Not quite a half mary but fun none the less.

2008-01-05 4:27 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD

I wear a CamelBak fanny pack (45oz) for biking and carry extra in the bottle holders if I'm riding beyond 1.5 hours. I run wearing a waistpack that holds a standard water bottle.

I did a 19+ mile ride today, my first outdoor ride in several weeks. I had been planning a slightly longer ride but decided that I wasn't really up for it. It was 36 degrees when I headed out and 42 when I returned. I was dressed pretty much spot on for the weather.

Today's ride was the first with my new Garmin. I thought I had it set to auto-stop when I was not moving, but it kept timing anyway. I guess I need to read the manual again. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » owl_girl's Group --- FULL! Rss Feed  

of 40