BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-05-31 4:47 PM
in reply to: #2184573

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!

fattyfatfat - 2009-05-31 4:32 PM
dalessit - 2009-05-31 3:48 PM Why is it when you prep food for the grill you have to drink beer.  While cooking on the grill you must drink beer.  While eating crabs + the food cooked on the grill you must drink even more beer...

Why is it when I'm breathing I have to drink beer?  Good to hear you got crabs and your wife isn't pissed.

Serious stuff here... cooking crawfish is easy, boil 10 minutes shut burner off, soak 20 minutes.  Yeah there are slight variations to this but...  Now where the religion comes in...whats in the boil.  The directions on the back of a boil bag (or bottle)...LoL!   I assume you are using Old Bay today.  Man that's some good stuff but I've actually seen people fight over OB or Chachere's.   You be hard pressed to even find OB in some places down here.

ssshhhh...don't tell anyone I said this but boiling shrimp.  OB all the way baby! 

John, you are a traitor to the cause   OB is for crab cakes and stuffed flounder.  Zatarains or Cachere's for mud bugs and la cucaraches de la mare!  I would think that Tony would be more inclinded to use Chachere's...

2009-05-31 4:48 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

BTW, that was post 2001 for our group....  Do we still have more than 2nd and 3rd combined??

2009-05-31 5:31 PM
in reply to: #2184587

User image

Champion
marietta
ashort33 - 2009-05-31 4:47 PM

dalessit - 2009-05-31 3:48 PM Why is it when you prep food for the grill you have to drink beer.  While cooking on the grill you must drink beer.  While eating crabs + the food cooked on the grill you must drink even more beer...

Why is it when I'm breathing I have to drink beer?  Good to hear you got crabs and your wife isn't pissed.

Serious stuff here... cooking crawfish is easy, boil 10 minutes shut burner off, soak 20 minutes.  Yeah there are slight variations to this but...  Now where the religion comes in...whats in the boil.  The directions on the back of a boil bag (or bottle)...LoL!   I assume you are using Old Bay today.  Man that's some good stuff but I've actually seen people fight over OB or Chachere's.   You be hard pressed to even find OB in some places down here.

ssshhhh...don't tell anyone I said this but boiling shrimp.  OB all the way baby! 

John, you are a traitor to the cause   OB is for crab cakes and stuffed flounder.  Zatarains or Cachere's for mud bugs and la cucaraches de la mare!  I would think that Tony would be more inclinded to use Chachere's...

puuuhhhleeeez...the only thing Zatarains is good for is the azaleas.  Dump some on there and the dogs find somewhere else to pee.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-05-31 5:31 PM
2009-05-31 5:36 PM
in reply to: #2184665

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

fattyfatfat - 2009-05-31 5:31 PM
ashort33 - 2009-05-31 4:47 PM

puuuhhhleeeez...the only thing Zatarains is good for is the azaleas.  Dump some on there and the dogs find somewhere else to pee.

LOL, now that you mention it, they have kinda gone a little mainstream with the little trumpet dude... 

Up here in Dallas land I mix a little concotion called "Rabit Pruf" for the flower beds.   It runs dogs off as well - you start with 4 oz of habaneros and grind them up...

2009-05-31 5:43 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

While we are on the topic of SE Tx fare...  When I first moved to Beaumont, I decided to make gumbo.  I was unaware that there were types of gumbo and types of cajun sausage.  So I made a seafood, chicken, and sausage gumbo.  It had crab, red fish, shrimp, crawfish, chicken thighs, tasso and boudain in it.  It was very meaty and I ended up not having to make rice to go in it either.  Nobody actually laughed out loud, but even being from OK originally, I came off as a big gober from the "North"

For all the rest of you, boudain is a pork and rice stuffed sausage that is generally grilled and served with white bread and mustard.  (Now I am starting to get hungry just thinking about it..)  I should have used andouille which is more like a spicy version of polish sausage....

One more thing for those of you not on the Gulf Coast, you have never really had shrimp until you get some fresh off the boat - they are soo flavorful and succulent!

I gotta go get dinner now - Thanks John, I am sure I am about to blow out my calorie count for the day and I blame you!

2009-05-31 5:45 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Roni, I see that you and Tony's wife (or it could be Tony logged in under her profile) are in the June running challenge.   Best of luck to both of you...

2009-05-31 6:00 PM
in reply to: #2184699

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
ashort33 - 2009-05-31 6:45 PM

Roni, I see that you and Tony's wife (or it could be Tony logged in under her profile) are in the June running challenge.   Best of luck to both of you...

HAHA no that is her, not me.

We use OB on all seafood up here, being we are rather close to Baltimore the crab influence extends to the DC area.

I love all cajun food, pretty much if it's spicy I like it.

I did see someone recommended cooking the boudin in with the boil also, wrapped in tinfoil or something like that.
2009-05-31 6:20 PM

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Hey Everyone,

I did a 10k today, only my second.  Here is my race report. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=161641

Also, I learned to change a flat tire the other night.  Haven't tried it myself yet but plan on getting some practice in before my second tri June 6th (I got two flat tires on my first sprint tri and had to wait for the bike help truck to come around.  After that I vowed for my next tri that I would learn to do it myself!)  Does anyone have any suggestions or tricks for changing tires? 
2009-05-31 6:20 PM
in reply to: #2184716

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

dalessit - 2009-05-31 6:00 PM
ashort33 - 2009-05-31 6:45 PM

HAHA no that is her, not me.

We use OB on all seafood up here, being we are rather close to Baltimore the crab influence extends to the DC area.

I love all cajun food, pretty much if it's spicy I like it.

I did see someone recommended cooking the boudin in with the boil also, wrapped in tinfoil or something like that.

Never heard the tin foil thing before, but from experience (gumbo) if you just boil it, it can and will explode into a rice-y, ground meat mess which works in gumbo, but I am not so sure about with mud bugs...

2009-05-31 6:23 PM
in reply to: #2184750

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Nice race report!  As far as the tire change, never had to do one outside the garage yet.  I would say be careful with the tire levers, I broke a couple of them the first time...

2009-05-31 7:07 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Well I can show how to better than describe it, but here goes.

BTW: This is for a clincher.

You need two tire irons (TI), a pump and strong thumbs.

1.Stick one TI between the rim and the tire and pry the tire over the rim.
2. Using the 2nd TI spaced a few inches from the 1st TI, pry more of the tire over the dge of the rim.
3. using the TI's draw them along the face of the rim so that the entire sdie wall of the tire is off the rim. (The other side of the tire should still be on the wheel.)
4. Remove the flat inner tube.
5. Carefully make sure there is nothing sharp sticking through the tire. Do not cut yourself!
6. Put a little air in the new tube to give it some shape.
7. Put the valve throught the hole and insert the tube into the tire.
8. Once the tube is in place release the air you just added.
9. Carefully use the TI's to leverage the tire back over the rim,.
10. Work the TI's in opposite directions so pry the side of the tire back onto the rim.
11. Be careful not to catch the tube between the tire and the rim.
12. You may have to make sure again that all the air has been released.
13. When only a little bit of the side wall has not made it onto the rim, use your thumbs to pery it on.
14. You can use the TI's to pry that on but be careful not to puncture the tube.
15. Slowly inflate the tube to make sure it is seated correctly.
16. If it is not seated right, relaease the air and reseat the tire.

BTW: when I was a mechanic the manager of the shop told us we should be able to change a flat in 60 seconds. We had never seen him change one so we said "yeah right!" Well, he proceeded to do it in about 50 seconds! Of course that meant we now had to do that. We learned to keep our mouths shut fronm that incident.

Good luck and hope that makes sense.

Doug
smoore3 - 2009-05-31 6:20 PM Hey Everyone,

I did a 10k today, only my second.  Here is my race report. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=161641

Also, I learned to change a flat tire the other night.  Haven't tried it myself yet but plan on getting some practice in before my second tri June 6th (I got two flat tires on my first sprint tri and had to wait for the bike help truck to come around.  After that I vowed for my next tri that I would learn to do it myself!)  Does anyone have any suggestions or tricks for changing tires? 

2009-05-31 7:11 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
smoore3 - 2009-05-31 5:20 PM Hey Everyone,

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1564 Here's the BT websitefor it...... I know Tri-it has clinics I believe on Saturday mornings where they will show you how to fix a flat for free. Call them or check their site. I had NEVER changed a tire until a month ago, but I've done it a few times now and feel quite confident. Even put on new tires!! No where near doug and the 60 second thing though!
2009-05-31 7:33 PM
in reply to: #2175125

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Plainsman AU - 2009-05-27 9:50 AM So much talk about the weekend already....It is just WEDNESDAY.  I don't even know what I will be doing tomorrow

Chris,  you better get up and get out early and get some training in.  Laying out till Monday?   I would hate to be slapping you on the back 5 miles into the bike in Augusta.  (time to start talking some smack)  I am figuring even on a bad day and with NO training, you are going to kick my A$$ in the swim

Suzy,  I don't know if I agree with the OWS vs the POOL thing.  I think I have gotten a TON of improvement and confidence from the amount of OWS that I have been able to do.  I am believing that you feel the same way.  Given the opportunity, I would trade a pool session for ow anytime and feel good about it.  I do think however that I get some great workouts with the masters group, and am probably pushed into the upper zones more...I don't know if that is a good thing or not.  But I LOVE the lake swim.

My wife bumped my bike ride this morning to go workout with a friend.  What is a guy to do about that?  I am working from home today and will be alot this summer, but I have the 5 yr old with me, so I can't just slip out for a ride.  Hopefully this afternoon.

I hope everyone had a good weekend.  I spent the entire time working.  I have worked four consecutive 15-17 hour days and I am whooped!!  Somehow I managed to get in my long ride today. 

Barry, since I'm back, I have to let you have it right back~  There is no way you will be slapping me on the back as you pass me at mile 5 because you will still be in the water when I'm at mile 5!   

2009-05-31 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2175223

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
TrevorC - 2009-05-27 10:17 AM

Hey Chris....because of work you can't train until Monday? I'd like to feel sorry for you and all, but hmmm golf weekend?? Cool

Shannon-- As a new orthotic wearer,  I had the same type of issues until i got mine. There were times when I would almost twist my ankle walking, mine was from bowed tibia's. But orthotics have made a world of difference in my every day life, nevermind training.

I have a long sprint out of town this weekend. 750m-26k-5k. Will be my 1st one going solo..Wife is sticking around with the kids this weekend- Oldest has soccer.
I'd love to have the luxury of the OWS/pool swim debate. For me, never swam OWS yet....June 7th is a sprint OWS I'm in. BUt the water may be too cold still up north, and it may end up as a weird Duathlon.

Sorry Trevor, I never even touched a golf club this weekend.  I was at work at 5:00am setting up a three day tournament so others could play in a golf tournament.  Yesterday, I worked from 5:00am until 10:00 pm and did not swing a golf club.  I wish it was just another golf weekend.
2009-05-31 7:43 PM
in reply to: #2184696

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
ashort33 - 2009-05-31 6:43 PM

While we are on the topic of SE Tx fare...  When I first moved to Beaumont, I decided to make gumbo.  I was unaware that there were types of gumbo and types of cajun sausage.  So I made a seafood, chicken, and sausage gumbo.  It had crab, red fish, shrimp, crawfish, chicken thighs, tasso and boudain in it.  It was very meaty and I ended up not having to make rice to go in it either.  Nobody actually laughed out loud, but even being from OK originally, I came off as a big gober from the "North"

For all the rest of you, boudain is a pork and rice stuffed sausage that is generally grilled and served with white bread and mustard.  (Now I am starting to get hungry just thinking about it..)  I should have used andouille which is more like a spicy version of polish sausage....

One more thing for those of you not on the Gulf Coast, you have never really had shrimp until you get some fresh off the boat - they are soo flavorful and succulent!

I gotta go get dinner now - Thanks John, I am sure I am about to blow out my calorie count for the day and I blame you!

Nothing beats a good order of boudain balls.  My brother used to be a chef at Commander's Palace in New Orleans and would make them all the time along with gumbo, shrimp and grits, crawfish etouffe.  Mmmmmmmm. 
2009-05-31 7:51 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
smoore3 - 2009-05-31 6:20 PM Hey Everyone,

Doug and Trevor got you going in the right direction.  Definitely watch a few videos as seeing it really helps.  Here's one from USAT

As like most things, there is more then one way to accomplish this.   For example I don't use a tire lever to put the tire back one and I use don't use my thumbs but rather the top part of the palm of my hand for those last few inches.  I think I'd have some serious blisters on my thumbs from the past weeks tire changing events if I did! Experiment BEFORE you get out there and do use whatever method works best for you.

60 seconds Doug...NICE!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-05-31 7:53 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Here is a video that shows what I was trying to explain:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4ZQMRT12Sg

Doug
in reply to: #2184946

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Nothing beats a good order of fried boudain balls.  My brother used to be a chef at Commander's Palace in New Orleans and would make them all the time along with gumbo, shrimp and grits, crawfish etouffe.  Mmmmmmmm. 

The best were at the Rice Festival in Winnie, TX every fall.  Even better with some grilled gator tail!  Ike cancelled last year's festivities, if they put it on this year, I might just have to make the trip.  John, you ever been over to Winnie?  I bet there are some great places to ride over there.  You could probably do hill repeats on the bridge over the ICW down by High Island.  I am guess the Bolivar Peninsula is still pretty much abandoned...

2009-05-31 7:53 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Here are the quick details for my race today... distances were 400 / 10 / 3

Age Group Finish:4 (missed 3rd by less than 1:30)
Overall Finish: 44 of 700
Swim: 9:30 T1 1:48
Bike: 28:09 T2 1:17
Run: 22:45
Finish Time: 1:03:27
2009-05-31 7:57 PM
in reply to: #2184970

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

JHagerman - 2009-05-31 7:53 PM Here are the quick details for my race today... distances were 400 / 10 / 3

Age Group Finish:4 (missed 3rd by less than 1:30)
Overall Finish: 44 of 700
Swim: 9:30 T1 1:48
Bike: 28:09 T2 1:17
Run: 22:45
Finish Time: 1:03:27

You rocked!  Nice job on the run.  Great job Jeremy!

2009-05-31 8:03 PM
in reply to: #2184969

User image

Champion
marietta
ashort33 - 2009-05-31 7:51 PM

Nothing beats a good order of fried boudain balls.  My brother used to be a chef at Commander's Palace in New Orleans and would make them all the time along with gumbo, shrimp and grits, crawfish etouffe.  Mmmmmmmm. 

The best were at the Rice Festival in Winnie, TX every fall.  Even better with some grilled gator tail!  Ike cancelled last year's festivities, if they put it on this year, I might just have to make the trip.  John, you ever been over to Winnie?  I bet there are some great places to ride over there.  You could probably do hill repeats on the bridge over the ICW down by High Island.  I am guess the Bolivar Peninsula is still pretty much abandoned...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just so everyone knows what we are talking about here.  Commanders is on of the best restaurants in New Orleans, that's a hard thing to accomplish!

Been to Winnie, mainly driving through many times.  That McDonalds was the meeting place for all of us traveling over to New Orleans during my undergrad work at A&M.    I'll definaltey meet you there for the festival and a ride..ride first!. 

Bolivar... yup.  Also I don't think people realize how screwed up Galveston is still.  Here's "the yellow house".  All the rest used to be homes.   Katrina kicked our family out of New Orleans (North Shore) and then Ike followed us here! Let me update that...we were so much luckier than most as we only had 10k of damage to our house...nothing at all really!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-05-31 8:40 PM

2009-05-31 8:15 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

OH Yeah. Congrats Trevor.

Suzy : great work on the swim. Sounds like this coach is going towork out real good.

Sarah. Congrats on the 10K. Fels great doesn't it.

Jeremy: Great race. Very quick time. Sounds like you rocked out there.

Edited by Redknight 2009-05-31 8:30 PM
2009-05-31 8:33 PM
in reply to: #2121326

User image

Champion
marietta
fattyfatfat - 2009-04-30 1:33 PM Good call Jeremy!   My May goals....

Bike 300 (big jump but I hope to have this bike ordeal settled by next Thursday!)

Run 75  (=10% over this month)

Swim 20k

OK here we go...Lets see what ya got for May goals.  Are input was somewhere back on or near  page 41

Was way short on the bike..  Run was almost.  Swim was good.  No goals for June other than finishing my first HIM. 

Bike:169.28 Mi
                                                 Run:72.05 Mi
                                                 Swim:21626 Yd
2009-05-31 8:34 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Hawk Island Triathlon

RR is up.

Thank you guys!
2009-05-31 8:36 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Trevor.  Nice job on the race!  You are kicking some butt with your times.  26 overall is awesome...would put you pretty solid in the FOP wouldn't it?

I had a great OWS at the lake with one of my masters swim partners.  He came up to the lake to practice an OWS before our event in 2 weeks.  I could really tell that my practice has been paying off.  Scott usually is a little faster than I, and he has been hitting swim class religiously.  It took him almost half the session to get comfy in the water and start speeding up, and he was zig zagging all over the place.  I would look behind, and sometimes he would be on the left, and others he would be on the right...pretty funny.  He started getting the hang toward the end, but it was nice to know that some of my practice was making a difference.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383