BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2011-04-12 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3442174

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED
robingray_260 - 2011-04-12 10:39 AM
GmrGirl - 2011-04-11 8:55 PM
robingray_260 - 2011-04-11 7:58 AM

Corncub - that sounds like a very cool treadmill!

So I woke up this morning with pain in the top of my foot, it only hurts when I put weight on it (like when I walk!). Yesterday was a rest day so not sure why it is hurting now. Anybody else ever have this? Hopefully, it will go away soon!

Had this happen to the top of my right foot the week before my 5K when I bruised the ankle bone.  Doing the ankle excercises helped stretch it out and make it feel better.  I also have high arches and the bones in the foot will pop out of joint (at least that's what it feels like to me)  again stretching it out and doing ankle excercises makes that feel better too.  If it keeps happening look up "ankle excercise for runners" on the internet and it will give some really good ones for helping both the top of the foot and/or ankle.

Gmrgirl - I have very high arches as well - I will definately look up the exercises if the pain comes back.

I was able to get out on the road for the first time in Wyoming! so excited! There was no wind (which is very unusual), but it was cold (around 35 degrees when I started). Here is what I wore: bike shorts, thermal tights, 2 ls tech shirts, 1 windstopper cycling jacket, wool socks, plastic wrap around toes, windstopper cleat covers, balaclava, and steves lobster claw mitts. I was just right, except toes were still cold.

I havent ridden this route since last October, I am at least as strong as I was then - thank you trainer!.

Wow! Life in Wyoming sure is different from Florida!

2011-04-12 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3440697

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
soccermom15 - 2011-04-11 1:40 PM

Corncub - lots of positive vibes going out for Abbie!  The TM sounds fun.  I wish I could do speedwork without the resulting soreness - love the workouts, hate the next day, lol!

So I think I figured out part of my troubles lately.  I think like a runner, not like a triathlete - probably due to the fact that it's what I'm most comfortable at.  When I schedule my workouts, I always start with the run - 2 easy runs, 1 speedwork or tempo run and 1 long run every week and then try to make my bike and swim workouts fit around those - and I don't put as much thought into those workouts as I should.  It's usually more of "what do I feel like doing today" which mostly translates into easy workouts.  I've been trying to follow a modified BT plan but it's a minutes-only plan.  I've been trying to think a little more about my bike workouts and putting more effort into them (making them harder), but I'm still doing all of them inside on a stationary bike.  I know I need to get outside now that the weather is better, I'm just having trouble doing it.  I'd really like to start focusing more on my bike fitness since I feel like that's where I need the most work.  I'm just going to have to change my mindset a little.  If I want to continue to do triathlons, I need to start thinking more like a triathlete. 

It's great that you are reflecting and thinking about this. I know I did the same last year when I took up triathlons for the first time.  Prior to that I just ran, usually 5 or 6 days a week.  With triathlon, I had to cut that back and start focusing on the other sports.   BT has some pretty good plans that do include more challenging and specific bike workouts.  They've been very good for me. I've really improved over the last year b/c of them. Using a HR monitor has helped my measure the intensity of my workouts and have some targets to shoot for.  I've found that reading up on things makes me focus more on it. So reading up on bike fitness, workouts, improving cadence, how to ride on hills, how to use HR monitor on a bike, etc helps me to get more interested in it and that translates into action.

Enrique

2011-04-12 3:46 PM
in reply to: #3442371

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
amd723 - 2011-04-12 11:57 AM
robingray_260 - 2011-04-12 10:39 AM
GmrGirl - 2011-04-11 8:55 PM
robingray_260 - 2011-04-11 7:58 AM

Corncub - that sounds like a very cool treadmill!

So I woke up this morning with pain in the top of my foot, it only hurts when I put weight on it (like when I walk!). Yesterday was a rest day so not sure why it is hurting now. Anybody else ever have this? Hopefully, it will go away soon!

Had this happen to the top of my right foot the week before my 5K when I bruised the ankle bone.  Doing the ankle excercises helped stretch it out and make it feel better.  I also have high arches and the bones in the foot will pop out of joint (at least that's what it feels like to me)  again stretching it out and doing ankle excercises makes that feel better too.  If it keeps happening look up "ankle excercise for runners" on the internet and it will give some really good ones for helping both the top of the foot and/or ankle.

Gmrgirl - I have very high arches as well - I will definately look up the exercises if the pain comes back.

I was able to get out on the road for the first time in Wyoming! so excited! There was no wind (which is very unusual), but it was cold (around 35 degrees when I started). Here is what I wore: bike shorts, thermal tights, 2 ls tech shirts, 1 windstopper cycling jacket, wool socks, plastic wrap around toes, windstopper cleat covers, balaclava, and steves lobster claw mitts. I was just right, except toes were still cold.

I havent ridden this route since last October, I am at least as strong as I was then - thank you trainer!.

Wow! Life in Wyoming sure is different from Florida!

It is supposed to snow tonight

2011-04-12 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
SNOW??? That's just WRONG. I grew up in Iowa...moved to Chicago...then NY... Connecticut...then FINALLY Florida. I never liked the cold. I do like to XC ski, but...I'll try to cope with not doing that anytime soon.

Hang in there Wyoming.
2011-04-12 9:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN

So I did not see anywhere on here where Maria had made a post about last night, although a few people already know.  I was out on a long run, and she decided to do 15 mile bike ride.  Towards the end of her ride, she was getting about 18 or 19 mph on her Tri-bike when a dog came out of nowhere and ran right into her front wheel (stupid dog owners suck).  You know who lost that one.....

We spent a couple of hours in the ER.  End result was one stitch in her elbow, and some prescription pain killers.  This morning she did not go to work (I think she may actually be milking it a little at this point) but if anyone has ever had a spill at that speed you know (as I do) how sore you are the next day.

The main reason I want to tell everyone about this is because when she told me her head hurt, I asked to see the helmet.  At first I could not find a single scratch on it.  Upon a little further inspection I found a chunck the size of my fist missin from the area right behind the left ear.  I am no doctor, but I know that at 19 mph - your head vs the pavement - the only way you win is if you are wearing your helmet.

2011-04-13 1:54 AM
in reply to: #3443534

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
discipleguideservice - 2011-04-12 7:46 PM

So I did not see anywhere on here where Maria had made a post about last night, although a few people already know.  I was out on a long run, and she decided to do 15 mile bike ride.  Towards the end of her ride, she was getting about 18 or 19 mph on her Tri-bike when a dog came out of nowhere and ran right into her front wheel (stupid dog owners suck).  You know who lost that one.....

We spent a couple of hours in the ER.  End result was one stitch in her elbow, and some prescription pain killers.  This morning she did not go to work (I think she may actually be milking it a little at this point) but if anyone has ever had a spill at that speed you know (as I do) how sore you are the next day.

The main reason I want to tell everyone about this is because when she told me her head hurt, I asked to see the helmet.  At first I could not find a single scratch on it.  Upon a little further inspection I found a chunck the size of my fist missin from the area right behind the left ear.  I am no doctor, but I know that at 19 mph - your head vs the pavement - the only way you win is if you are wearing your helmet.

Sorry to hear about Maria.  We really need to be careful out there on the road. The other day I came very close to getting a wheel stuck in a large crack in the pavement while going pretty fast.  That would have been pretty bad.  I had lost my focus for a little while and was just day dreaming.  It's important to be aware of our surroundings, stay focused, and ride defensively.

2011-04-13 4:33 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
discipleguideservice - 2011-04-12 9:46 PM

That's scary! Sending healing thoughts.

2011-04-13 8:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Sorry for your troubles.  I'm sure they checked out her head at the ER...

Loose dogs suck.  My first thought is that three quarters of the world eat them, a fact I remind dogs that chase me or threaten me when I'm running - with or without their owners present.  I also warn them that the smallest nip could result in having the dog put down.  They act so shocked.  Then as I ride or run along, I think to myself what the proper course would be - to put the owner down and get the dog into the care of someone who knows how to handle them. 

Happy day!

Ice.

Edited by IceManScott 2011-04-13 8:02 AM
2011-04-13 8:54 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Um...doesn't even have to be 19 mph...tip over at zero speed and you can do the same damage to your helmet/head (usually no scrapes though). 

I kept my cracked helmet from IMCdA for a while and showed it at a safety talk for the high school robotics team.  Pretty poignant that the cracked helmet was the difference between my day ending at noon in an ambulance or at 7:38 at the finish line. 

Glad Maria is ok! 

2011-04-13 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3443669

User image

Expert
Missouri
ecpasos - 2011-04-13 1:54 AM
discipleguideservice - 2011-04-12 7:46 PM

Sorry to hear about Maria.  We really need to be careful out there on the road. The other day I came very close to getting a wheel stuck in a large crack in the pavement while going pretty fast.  That would have been pretty bad.  I had lost my focus for a little while and was just day dreaming.  It's important to be aware of our surroundings, stay focused, and ride defensively.

I had this happen to me last summer although I had just turned a corner and wasn't going too fast (I'm not that fast anywayLaughing).  Ended up with a large scrape on my left knee that took forever to heal and left a pretty good scar.  I have to admit, I think it's part of the reason I'm a little wary about getting on my bike this year.

Glad to hear Maria is OK. 

2011-04-13 12:17 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
discipleguideservice - 2011-04-12 10:46 PM

OH MY GAWD! I'm so glad she's OK! now we are supposed to say 'who cares? how's the bike?' Sorry.

I hope they took good x-rays.

2011-04-13 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

After hearing all the horror stories on the forums here and now this - it definately scares me.  I hope you are ok maria and that you can shake it off and get back on your bike - I think I would be more than a little wary after something like that. Postive note - you get a new helmet!

2011-04-13 12:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
As as reporter I've covered lots of bike accidents.  I don't let it get to me.  I've covered accidental deaths in every way possible.  But these stories are a reminder to be careful around traffic. And always, always wear a helmet no matter what.
2011-04-14 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3444600

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
IceManScott - 2011-04-13 1:48 PM

As as reporter I've covered lots of bike accidents.  I don't let it get to me.  I've covered accidental deaths in every way possible.  But these stories are a reminder to be careful around traffic. And always, always wear a helmet no matter what.

Miami has a hideous accident on a regular basis. I was riding with a friend last night, and it was great...but there was a lot of traffic. She said "you'll get used to it". I don't think so and I don't ever want to take that sort of cavalier attitude. I will not be riding in that kind of traffic again, and I hope I continue to embrace a healthy amount of fear when it comes to riding my bike.
2011-04-14 10:19 PM

Veteran

Hi all ... I just wanted to drop you a few lines to let you know I'm  still alive & kicking.  I started getting back into my workout tonight, (running) and it didn't go so hot.  I ended up walking back home. Frown                            

I will be getting after it again tomorrow.  I will keep on keeping on. I will get back on track even if it takes me a bit to get there. Thanks for all the inspires, they were awesome!  Wink   

FYI .... Josh took my helmet down & had a talk with the dog owner.  He showed the dog owner my helmet & told him about the hospital visit.  He let him know that we have insurance, but have a deductable that we expect them to pay a portion of & a helmet that they need to replace.  He told them that he thought that was only fair since they were the dog owners.  Josh let them know that there are no hard feelings.  Josh said that the guy seemed to take it well.

I asked Josh what kind of dog he thought it was, and he said that it looked like a mix of lab & pit bull.  I think I'm  going to take a different route for a while. - Ree

2011-04-15 6:41 AM
in reply to: #3447860

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Ree - 2011-04-14 11:19 PM

Hi all ... I just wanted to drop you a few lines to let you know I'm  still alive & kicking.  I started getting back into my workout tonight, (running) and it didn't go so hot.  I ended up walking back home. Frown                            

I will be getting after it again tomorrow.  I will keep on keeping on. I will get back on track even if it takes me a bit to get there. Thanks for all the inspires, they were awesome!  Wink   

FYI .... Josh took my helmet down & had a talk with the dog owner.  He showed the dog owner my helmet & told him about the hospital visit.  He let him know that we have insurance, but have a deductable that we expect them to pay a portion of & a helmet that they need to replace.  He told them that he thought that was only fair since they were the dog owners.  Josh let them know that there are no hard feelings.  Josh said that the guy seemed to take it well.

I asked Josh what kind of dog he thought it was, and he said that it looked like a mix of lab & pit bull.  I think I'm  going to take a different route for a while. - Ree

GREAT to hear from you! you are one tough cookie, and Josh... way to handle the situation!

2011-04-15 6:42 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Nike South Beach Run Club
We would like to extend our fellow Nike Run Clubber, Alex Ceril, a speedy recovery. He was hit by a truck while biking on KB today, luckily he was wearing his helmet. He just completed his first tri this past weekend. Get better Alex! For those that want to visit him at the hospital, he is at Mercy Hospital RM# 4125, he is in stable condition but has multiple facial fractures.

This is where I ride.
2011-04-15 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Ree - glad you are doing well, I think it is awesome that you are getting back at it!

Steph - sorry to hear about your friend - I hope he has a speedy recovery.

2011-04-15 8:21 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Hi all,

Haven't checked in for awhile.  It's been a hellish week and I'm glad it's over.  

Just a little update on the running.  Well, against all sane advice I decided to run the half marathon in St. Louis.  To my credit, as soon as we arrived at the expo I went and exchanged my marathon registration for the half because I know me and me can be pretty stubborn (read: stupid) sometimes when it comes to running.  I knew if I didn't I would be tempted to be really stupid.  Instead I was only half stupid.    I ran the 5k with my husband on Sat just to test out the leg.  Felt ok.  So....

The half and full run at the same time.  At mile 10 the half marathoners turn back and the full keep going.  I the run with one of my friends who was running the marathon.  It was pretty hot in St. Louis last weekend.  70 degrees at 6 am race day.  Due to the heat and some other factors my friend decided to do the half instead of the full, so we ran the whole thing together.  Now, my run did include some walk breaks, esp after mile 11.  Finished at 2:08:53.  Not too bad given the fact that I hadn't been running for the past 8 weeks.

Now the hard part was coming clean to my PT.  But the good thing is I didn't set myself back.

And now, I promise to be good and listen to my PT.

2011-04-15 8:29 PM
in reply to: #3449632

User image

Longview, Texas
suzimmer - 2011-04-15 9:21 PM

Hi all,

Haven't checked in for awhile.  It's been a hellish week and I'm glad it's over.  

Just a little update on the running.  Well, against all sane advice I decided to run the half marathon in St. Louis.  To my credit, as soon as we arrived at the expo I went and exchanged my marathon registration for the half because I know me and me can be pretty stubborn (read: stupid) sometimes when it comes to running.  I knew if I didn't I would be tempted to be really stupid.  Instead I was only half stupid.    I ran the 5k with my husband on Sat just to test out the leg.  Felt ok.  So....

The half and full run at the same time.  At mile 10 the half marathoners turn back and the full keep going.  I the run with one of my friends who was running the marathon.  It was pretty hot in St. Louis last weekend.  70 degrees at 6 am race day.  Due to the heat and some other factors my friend decided to do the half instead of the full, so we ran the whole thing together.  Now, my run did include some walk breaks, esp after mile 11.  Finished at 2:08:53.  Not too bad given the fact that I hadn't been running for the past 8 weeks.

Now the hard part was coming clean to my PT.  But the good thing is I didn't set myself back.

And now, I promise to be good and listen to my PT.

Congratulations on your race!!

2011-04-15 10:24 PM
in reply to: #3448019

Veteran

stephsprint - 2011-04-15 7:42 AM Nike South Beach Run Club We would like to extend our fellow Nike Run Clubber, Alex Ceril, a speedy recovery. He was hit by a truck while biking on KB today, luckily he was wearing his helmet. He just completed his first tri this past weekend. Get better Alex! For those that want to visit him at the hospital, he is at Mercy Hospital RM# 4125, he is in stable condition but has multiple facial fractures. This is where I ride.

WOW, sorry to hear about your friend.  I hope he has a speedy recovery! 

BE CAREFUL & ALWAYS WEAR YOUR HELMETS!!! I know that you said that this happened on the same route that you take.  Was it in the day light?  I try to wear bright colors ALWAYS.  I don't know if bright colors or lights would have helped.  I know that there's just people out there who aren't paying attention when they drive.  Talking on the phone, Day dreaming, Texting etc. We all just have to be VERY CAREFUL - Ree

2011-04-16 5:41 AM
in reply to: #3449752

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
The accidents tend to happen to people riding alone, I've noticed. Particularly the deaths. The driver does a hit and run and the cyclist is left there. I'm also getting a smaller cell phone so I can have it with me.

Anybody else feel like an outer-space creature with all the STUFF strapped aboard? Heart rate strap and giant gps watch, road ID, fuel belt, compression socks...it's a wonder I can move at all! And it's hot down here now... so it all feels rather constricting.

Another first.. I canceled my golf tournament this weekend so I can run. I have a 37 week marathon training schedule worked out. I'd like to rung the ING Miami in January. I still need a new sprint tri...maybe in august.. to be my first.

Cycling seems to be the hardest thing on the sore foot. Most annoying.

SueZ - NICE RUN!!!!!! good choices too, it's like crack I'm sure. just a nibble.....
2011-04-16 7:35 AM
in reply to: #3449834

User image

Master
Orlando

stephsprint - 2011-04-16 5:41 AM The accidents tend to happen to people riding alone, I've noticed. Particularly the deaths. The driver does a hit and run and the cyclist is left there. I'm also getting a smaller cell phone so I can have it with me. Anybody else feel like an outer-space creature with all the STUFF strapped aboard? Heart rate strap and giant gps watch, road ID, fuel belt, compression socks...it's a wonder I can move at all! And it's hot down here now... so it all feels rather constricting. Another first.. I canceled my golf tournament this weekend so I can run. I have a 37 week marathon training schedule worked out. I'd like to rung the ING Miami in January. I still need a new sprint tri...maybe in august.. to be my first. Cycling seems to be the hardest thing on the sore foot. Most annoying. SueZ - NICE RUN!!!!!! good choices too, it's like crack I'm sure. just a nibble.....

You run in compression socks in Florida!  I don't know how you do it - i'm always trying to figure out what else I can take off without being arrested for indecent exposure! 

If you're looking for a nice sprint tri in Miami in August you should consider the Huntington's Disease Tr.  I think it is Aug. 1 this year.  It is on Key Biscayne.  I did it last year, it is a nice race and all proceeds go to fight the disease.  If that doesn't work for you check out the multirace website.  I've done a few of their races too (and will do more this year), they are very well run and are also on Key Biscayne. 

Happy weekend everyone!

Ann-Marie

2011-04-16 11:01 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I've got a question for the biking McFuzzies - what do you do for nutrition on the bike?  I've got a 2 hr ride followed by a 40 minute run on the agenda for tomorrow and I think it may be time for more than just water on the bike.  So, when do you start looking at taking in calories and what form do those calories take? 

Ann-Marie

2011-04-16 11:36 AM
in reply to: #3450076

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
amd723 - 2011-04-16 11:01 AM

I've got a question for the biking McFuzzies - what do you do for nutrition on the bike?  I've got a 2 hr ride followed by a 40 minute run on the agenda for tomorrow and I think it may be time for more than just water on the bike.  So, when do you start looking at taking in calories and what form do those calories take? 

Ann-Marie

Two hours I usually have just water, but I also carry some nutrition with me just in case.  I'll pack snack crackers, breakfast bars, granola bars, a bag of almonds, banana chips, sometimes a banana.  I've carried PB&J and Payday candy bars.  I do the occasional gel or powerbar and at 3 hours usually take a bottle of gatorade and a bottle of water. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106