BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty RidiculoSnarky Almost Intelligent-Charming Manatees PART 4 - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 85

2012-08-31 6:57 AM
in reply to: #4332724

User image

Coastal Carolina
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty RidiculoSnarky Almost Intelligent-Charming Manatees PART 4 - Full

Kate- Great decision, I've been putting in for stuff as well to see what is out there and see what my options are.  And with school, I'm a big advocate that the greatest investment for earnings you can make is in education but you can always do online or find a school where your credits will transfer if you can better your current situation.  Best of luck to you I hope you get it.  Submit the video from the morning news and you'll be a sure thing.

Salty- Think of it as masters swimming at the very least you have people there to push you.  Also you do have some very well defined goals at this point for 2016

OK question here for the POD.  I have finally saved enough for an entry level tri bike as long as I can get a deal (I refuse to pay retail), all the races I do/want to do are pancake flat and my roadie will be good for group rides for a few more years at least, so my question is where do I go to get an accurate fitting to see which one will fit me best?  The fitting I did for my roadie was ok but was more of a fit the bike to the rider fitter if that makes sense.  SC doesn't have anyone that is FIST certified that I can tell and asking in the SC forum has not generated alot of responses.  I'm talking to a co-worker who does part time at the local trek shop but they definitely push the treks, I like treks and I would like a SC but want to make sure it is the right bike for me.  Thoughts? Advice?

Also Football season started last night and my Gamecocks are 1-0 woot!woot! Laughing

2012-08-31 7:34 AM
in reply to: #4389357

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty RidiculoSnarky Almost Intelligent-Charming Manatees PART 4 - Full
Tripopo - 2012-08-31 6:57 AM

OK question here for the POD.  I have finally saved enough for an entry level tri bike as long as I can get a deal (I refuse to pay retail), all the races I do/want to do are pancake flat and my roadie will be good for group rides for a few more years at least, so my question is where do I go to get an accurate fitting to see which one will fit me best?  The fitting I did for my roadie was ok but was more of a fit the bike to the rider fitter if that makes sense.  SC doesn't have anyone that is FIST certified that I can tell and asking in the SC forum has not generated alot of responses.  I'm talking to a co-worker who does part time at the local trek shop but they definitely push the treks, I like treks and I would like a SC but want to make sure it is the right bike for me.  Thoughts? Advice?

Also Football season started last night and my Gamecocks are 1-0 woot!woot! Laughing

Yea, a new bike!  I agree with you about paying retail; don't do it.  I was lucky enough to get in on the share the road deal Cervelo had late last year into Jan. this year.  There's no way I would have purchased a P2 without that deal.  Good luck with the bike hunt, it's so much fun to spend money .

Regarding your fitting, have you looked in the "Fitter" section on Slowtwitch?  I did a quick look and saw 3 (i think) fitters in SC.  They look to be associated with bike shops, so that may be a minus for you.  I am lucky that in Orlando we have a few independent fitters to choose from, but understand that available everywhere.  Another suggestion is to check with any tri clubs in your area.  If there is an independent fitter, i'm sure they'd know. 

2012-08-31 8:11 AM
in reply to: #4389235

User image

Extreme Veteran
kgore - 2012-08-31 12:36 AM

I did it. After much thought and discussion, the pros FAR outweigh the cons. I just submitted my application.

Who knows, they might not even consider me, but I have to take this chance...if it happens, I will be in a better place--I don't necessarily mean geographically (I do love sunny Cali), but financially, and mentally. My husband believes it is the right direction, and even my mom does! I was sure I would get the total guilt from her, but she, without even hearing the whole breakdown, said "so you're gonna apply, right?".  I am blessed to have a great family like this. The best part for me--I would be in close proximity to my sister again--admittedly, it may cause the apocalypse, but it would be AWESOME! Laughing

YAY!  I second everyone else, there is no reason not to apply.  My fingers are crossed for you!!

2012-08-31 8:12 AM
in reply to: #4389064

User image

Extreme Veteran

ArielLIlB - 2012-08-30 9:14 PM Did I miss a new thread or has no one posted since in like over 4 hours? Cuz that would be really weird!

Wow, it was really radio silence for 4 hours!  And at a prime time state-side, 5:30-9:30!  And who responded to me...our little early bird, Jo over in Oz!

2012-08-31 9:06 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I did it. After much thought and discussion, the pros FAR outweigh the cons. I just submitted my application.

Who knows, they might not even consider me, but I have to take this chance...if it happens, I will be in a better place--I don't necessarily mean geographically (I do love sunny Cali), but financially, and mentally. My husband believes it is the right direction, and even my mom does! I was sure I would get the total guilt from her, but she, without even hearing the whole breakdown, said "so you're gonna apply, right?".  I am blessed to have a great family like this. The best part for me--I would be in close proximity to my sister again--admittedly, it may cause the apocalypse, but it would be AWESOME! Laughing

YAY!!  Your new path sounds so exciting and promising, Kate!  And yeah, having the support of your loved ones sure helps make your decision easier.  Good for you!  You can't follow a dream if you don't take a step down the path after it, and regret can be very painful.  So glad you applied, and I truly hope it all works in your favor.  Don't worry, you will make new minions at the new zoo!

2012-08-31 9:14 AM

User image

Pennsylvania
Tripopo - 2012-08-31 7:57 AM

Did a little Google-ing:

This thread is 2 years old but may still have some relevant info or shops and people who fit at those shops: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/southeast/bike-fitters-sc-ga-nc-area-208360.html

These results are from the Retul (3D motion capture fitting system)  site: http://www.retul.com/fitter_list.asp (search on your state if it doesn't automatically bring it up)

A new bike, so exciting! 

2012-08-31 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
kgore - 2012-08-30 10:36 PM

Awesome!!!!!!!!!! So glad you decided to apply.  It could be an exciting new adventure for you! Can't wait to hear as it unfolds.  Maybe the school issues were a blessing in disguise...

2012-08-31 9:22 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Tripopo - 2012-08-31 5:57 AM

Kate- Great decision, I've been putting in for stuff as well to see what is out there and see what my options are.  And with school, I'm a big advocate that the greatest investment for earnings you can make is in education but you can always do online or find a school where your credits will transfer if you can better your current situation.  Best of luck to you I hope you get it.  Submit the video from the morning news and you'll be a sure thing.

Salty- Think of it as masters swimming at the very least you have people there to push you.  Also you do have some very well defined goals at this point for 2016

Can't help you on bike fit advice but I share your excitement with football starting.  I enjoy both college (Colorado) and NFL (Broncos).

2012-08-31 9:22 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Tripopo - 2012-08-31 6:57 AM

Kirk,

When I got fit (I don't even know if he is FIST certified etc.) but I got up on a special fitting frame that was adjustable in every direction.  Not what you call that device but it's the "unbiased" way to since since you're not sitting on a specific brand of bike.  When the fit was done what we had was a list of dimensions.  Once those dimensions are known, then you go look for a bike.  So wherever you go, I think it needs to be done this way.  Maybe ask around, go to a race, hang out and talk to people (you never know).  At some races they have Tri Club tents etc. and a lot of Tri club folks can be very helpful in that regard.

2012-08-31 9:43 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
I had to miss Masters this morning :-( I got one of my migraines in the night last night. My meds knock out the headache pretty well but they leave me feeling dizzy. I figured going to masters dizzy wasn't a great idea so I skipped. I also called in at work so now I have the whole day available and can't really do any training. :-(
2012-08-31 9:51 AM
in reply to: #4389113

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
jobaxas - 2012-08-30 9:59 PM

ArielLIlB - 2012-08-30 8:14 PM Did I miss a new thread or has no one posted since in like over 4 hours? Cuz that would be really weird!

Oh I hope i've not missed the cutover to the new thread!

SmileSmileSmileSmile that's a good start!  Little one still very sick and she's so skinny anyway this is leaving her very weak - no energy coz she can't eat.  Poor darling.  I feel bad I can't be there but DH is off work with her.  Unfortunately I have to work Saturday - it's only twice a year and it's this week.  Dammit.

Oh well - I owe him big time.

Great squad last night - see log for details.  Was going to get up and go to the 5.15am squad but really couldn't be bothered.  Running 10km tonight if she will let me go out. may have to wait for her to go to bed.

Poor thing!  I hope she's feeling better soon.

2012-08-31 9:52 AM
in reply to: #4388571

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
TriAya - 2012-08-30 3:21 PM

For the record, 40mg dextromethorphan + 3 fun-size Milky Way = 30mg codeine in terms of pain relief.

lol...I'm not sure that's a pharmacist approved conversion, but I am entertained.

2012-08-31 9:52 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Good luck!!

2012-08-31 9:54 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Tripopo - 2012-08-31 7:57 AM

You should buy my tri bike.  I have a 54 Litespeed Blade that is too big for me and I need to sell.  I keep meaning to post in the Classifieds here but it never happens.

Anyway...when I got this bike fitted, I went to a tri store.  They sell road bikes, but they are really geared towards tris and tri bikes.  While they are not FIST certified, they did do a great job of getting this too big bike to work as well as it could for me.  They also did the fitting on my roadie. 

2012-08-31 9:56 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I ran three times this week.  My legs are super sore!  Get to take a few days off, though.  I got a new tattoo yesterday and it needs to heal some before I start running so I don't sweat all of the ink out.

tattoo

It's a luna moth for baby E.  Her middle name is Artemis (another one in the group!), so it seemed appropriate.  It's on the front of my shoulder just under my collar bone.  I love it!

2012-08-31 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4389627

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Artemis - 2012-08-31 8:52 AM
TriAya - 2012-08-30 3:21 PM

For the record, 40mg dextromethorphan + 3 fun-size Milky Way = 30mg codeine in terms of pain relief.

lol...I'm not sure that's a pharmacist approved conversion, but I am entertained.

Maybe I should have tried that instead of my scrip... I don't think I have dextrowhatchacallit

2012-08-31 10:02 AM
in reply to: #4389639

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Artemis - 2012-08-31 8:56 AM

I ran three times this week.  My legs are super sore!  Get to take a few days off, though.  I got a new tattoo yesterday and it needs to heal some before I start running so I don't sweat all of the ink out.

tattoo

It's a luna moth for baby E.  Her middle name is Artemis (another one in the group!), so it seemed appropriate.  It's on the front of my shoulder just under my collar bone.  I love it!

Pretty!
2012-08-31 10:24 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Yanti started a new thread...
2012-08-31 1:42 PM

User image

Master
Nice of her to let us know!!Laughing

Edited by bcraht 2012-08-31 1:42 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty RidiculoSnarky Almost Intelligent-Charming Manatees PART 4 - Full Rss Feed  

of 85