General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2011-04-24 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3457169

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
YES, they absolutely do get easier each time you do them! Some tips for these long rides: don't spend a lot of time taking breaks, try to keep riding just like you will on race day; try out your race-day tri shorts/tri top...wearing them for a sprint and wearing them for an Ironman are TOTALLY different; your long rides should ALWAYS be a nutrition practice day, and if you can include your morning b'fast as part of that, then do; stay hydrated; recover properly--if you haven't done the ice bath thing, you may want to check into it after your super long rides and long runs; your body needs to recover so you keep training!

Have fun with it!

I have (finally) caught up with this thread and am amazed by 1) how comforting it is to realize there are a bunch of other in the same boat, 2) the nuggets of information that are shared, and 3) that the water temp has already been discussed.

Speaking of nuggets Brittany's post totally hit the spot for me. The importance to treating each long ride for nutrition and equipment practice was rammed home for me when I realized about 75miles into a long ride that last year's nutrition plan wasn't working for me. For some reason after 4 hrs I could not swallow my peanut butter & nutella sandwiches (weird because I love nutella, grew up on it). I will have to try again to determine if I just had an off day or if I have to tweak the plan. The point is no assumptions about nutrition, clothing, or equipment, it isn't worth it. I also second the ice baths. An unpleasant but effective recovery tool (I need all the help I can get).

As far as flats are concerned I usually carry 2 spares tubes, one patch kit, and a hand pump (paranoid about running out of CO2). Flats will slow me down but there is no way I will let one stop me on my rides (especially at CDA). I will also practice flat repair on the rental race wheels once I get them so that there are no surprises (e.g. stem extensions). That may be pushing it on the paranoia front but it buys be some peace of mind.

Nice training everyone and thanks for sharing.

Bernd 

2011-04-24 10:38 AM
in reply to: #3006331

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Seems like everyone is getting in some awesome physical and mental training. The Ironman is a long day, and a lot can happen that is not quite what we expect. More often than not, our performance is determined by how we handle the unexpected. 

For the good of the group, please post a quick bit about your week of training. I know we can go look at your logs (If you are logging) but it is usually more useful to see our training all in one place where we are sharing a common goal.

Ironman training can be a solitary affair and it is helpful to know that there are others out there getting in some solid training licks and experiencing a similar amount of suffering along the way.

Train Well Cool Kids

Edited by WaterDog66 2011-04-24 10:39 AM
2011-04-24 11:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA

I had a really good bike/swim focus week.   I was having some IT discomfort after my awesome 15 mile long run last sunday, so I took it easy on the run front.

Swim:   7200 yards (2100/2100/3000).  (Have pretty much settled into a 1:39/100 pace, so I'm really happy with that)

Bike:  180 miles.   80 on the trainer, then a back to back 30/70 on the road on friday and saturday.

Run:  12 miles.

I'm feeling very, very confident about the race.

Edited by jackson61802 2011-04-24 11:20 AM
2011-04-24 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3463136

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

WaterDog66 - 2011-04-24 10:38 AM Seems like everyone is getting in some awesome physical and mental training. The Ironman is a long day, and a lot can happen that is not quite what we expect. More often than not, our performance is determined by how we handle the unexpected. 

For the good of the group, please post a quick bit about your week of training

S:  
7287.23 Yd 2h 36m
B: 
133.14 Mi - 8h 05m 58s -  Long ride of 81
R:  
16.67 Mi 2h 45m 28s - Limiting runs due to sore foot.
2011-04-24 2:56 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

WaterDog66 - 2011-04-24 10:38 AM Seems like everyone is getting in some awesome physical and mental training. The Ironman is a long day, and a lot can happen that is not quite what we expect. More often than not, our performance is determined by how we handle the unexpected. 

For the good of the group, please post a quick bit about your week of training

S:  
7287.23 Yd 2h 36m
B: 
133.14 Mi - 8h 05m 58s -  Long ride of 81
R:  
16.67 Mi 2h 45m 28s - Limiting runs due to sore foot.
2011-04-24 4:29 PM

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
My training week was mostly good, particularly because I was able to get right back on schedule after the NOLA 69.1 last weekend without feeling any I'll effects - must be the dorky recovery socks. My main concern is getting in really solid long rides in the seven big training weeks I have left - I haven't had a long ride where I held the watts I want in about six weeks, other than last weeks race. I also need a wetsuit miracle when I start OWS training since my swim pace gains have been minuscule. Going forward, I'm going to start taking Mondays off to recover from the big weekends, since my Monday workouts have been less than ideal for a while. I'll double up on Thursdays to make it up. I also stepped on the scale this morning and it read my planned race weight, about six weeks ahead of schedule. Despite eating almost 3500 calories a day, I'm down at numbers I last saw in the mid 80s - crazy.

2011-04-24 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

For the good of the group, please post a quick bit about your week of training. I know we can go look at your logs (If you are logging) but it is usually more useful to see our training all in one place where we are sharing a common goal.

Ironman training can be a solitary affair and it is helpful to know that there are others out there getting in some solid training licks and experiencing a similar amount of suffering along the way.

Train Well Cool Kids

Here is my week that I just finished.  This is my first of 7 build weeks. 

(Numbers in minutes)

Mon - Off

Tues - 75 run / 75 swim

Wed - 105 bike / 30 run

Thurs - 75 run / 75 swim

Fri - 60 bike / 75 swim

Sat - 45 bike / 150 run        <------- that was my big test this week.

Sun - 240 bike / 30 run

2011-04-24 10:36 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I was on a business trip Monday-Thursday this week so my swimming was fairly light. Otherwise I'm pleased with my long ride yesterday (79 miles) and running today on tired legs.

Swim: 2700 yds (1:04)
Bike: 119 miles (7:38)
Run: 13.94 (2:50)

Next week I have 12 hours of biking alone on the schedule. It's definitely getting real!
2011-04-25 12:23 AM

Have had a pretty solid couple months coming off the Abu Dhabi Long Course (200k bike)
Last week

Sunday - Swim - 2700m PB & Bands + 2hr Bike (easy)
Monday - 1hr bike on trainer + 45' recovery run
Tuesday - 1500m swim (drill set) + 1hr40' run (intervals) + 1 1/2 hr easy bike
Wednesday - 2 hr steady bike + 45' recovery run
Thursday - 3300m swim + 2hr bike + 45' recovery run
Friday - BRICK 2hr bike + 1 hr run
Saturday - Long ride - 5hr 15" (106 miles) flat!
Sunday - 2 1/2 hr long run.

Rest of my weeks until I leave Abu Dhabi will look pretty much the same. Will try and get some hill simulation in there on the trainer and may have to move inside if it gets too hot in May but so far so good.
2011-04-25 8:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond

Thanks for the tip on the old pair of runners before the swim!  Great one!

I am all for a cold swim, anything to keep the core temp down. I'm way more worried about the heat of the day getting to me the 14 of 15 hrs I plan to be on the course after the swim, but that's just me.  I would love to see some snow that day.

Disclosure: I passed out with heat stroke at 70.3 Florida finish line last year.

Thus my biggest concern personally is core temp, hydration, nutrition and cramping.  Edit: And the hills on the bike!

Edited by mdfahy 2011-04-25 8:52 AM
2011-04-25 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3464090

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
mdfahy - 2011-04-25 9:51 AM

I am all for a cold swim, anything to keep the core temp down. I'm way more worried about the heat of the day getting to me the 14 of 15 hrs I plan to be on the course after the swim, but that's just me.  I would love to see some snow that day.

Disclosure: I passed out with heat stroke at 70.3 Florida finish line last year.

Thus my biggest concern personally is core temp, hydration, nutrition and cramping.  Edit: And the hills on the bike!

I'm notoriously bad in the heat too.  In fact I chose CdA over a few other choices because of historical weather patterns.  Yeah, it can get warm on the run... but it's not guaranteed like in some places.  For people like us, race day wardrobe and a few other tips can make a HUGE difference.  For me that meant:

1) Desoto white skin-cooler fabric top.  I wore arm coolers on the bike but not on the run.  I might have worn them on the run if it the sun had been more intense or it had been hotter.

2) water is your friend... over your head and on your shirt and arm coolers.  Expiriment with this so you know what happens to your socks/shoes when they are soaked on a long run (dry pair in special needs not a bad idea in case you feel a blister coming on).

3) Ice in a hat is painfully cold for me, but if you can tolerate it your head has tremendous heat-transfer potential and this can really cool you down.  Desoto also makes a 3 pocket top specifically designed for using ice (one between shoulder blades, one farther down, and one at the bottom).  Thunderbear (Sindbale - finished 3rd in IM champs one year when he got serious about temp management after several meltdowns in heat in years prior) also believed in a latex glove full of ice, but I just can't go there due to extreme dorkiness.

4) Of course you also need to nail your hydration/electrolyte replacement... that may include adjustment to pacing/effort based on the heat... the harder you ride/run, the less your body will be able to absorb and you need to manage the sweat/hydration deficit carefully... some like me are capable of sweating faster than our stomach can absorb liquid.

2011-04-25 10:08 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

Some really great workouts and weeks many of you are getting in.  THESE tough workouts now are the ones that really pay off on race day... it will be too late by early June... your May will make all the difference.  Don't do anything stupid and get hurt, but otherwise it's time to dig deep!

I'll be sitting here drinking some beers and eating nachos and being very impressed with you all.

2011-04-25 10:11 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
WaterDog66 - 2011-04-24 8:38 AM 

This week was a another build week with a run focus.  I will do the same thing in Mid-May with a Bike Focus instead building up to the San Diego Century on the 21st.  May is surely when the training is going to start getting really sick. 

Swim: 7000.00 Meters, 2h 10m 56s
Bike: 96.00 Miles, 5h 12m
R: 80.00 Miles, 10h 17m 14s
Spin Class: 2h

Total: 19h 33m 32s 

I did a hilly 16 miler on Sunday @ IM Pace (1,263 ft of climbing) and the run went awesome; I felt great at the end and could easily have continued on for the next 10.2 miles no problem even with a fast finish. Things are looking good for the Orange County Marathon on Sunday. (A tuneup race run @ IM Pace)

Train Well Cool Kids

2011-04-25 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3464302

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
JoshKaptur - 2011-04-25 11:04 AM
mdfahy - 2011-04-25 9:51 AM

I'm notoriously bad in the heat too.  In fact I chose CdA over a few other choices because of historical weather patterns.  Yeah, it can get warm on the run... but it's not guaranteed like in some places.  For people like us, race day wardrobe and a few other tips can make a HUGE difference.  For me that meant:

1) Desoto white skin-cooler fabric top.  I wore arm coolers on the bike but not on the run.  I might have worn them on the run if it the sun had been more intense or it had been hotter.

2) water is your friend... over your head and on your shirt and arm coolers.  Expiriment with this so you know what happens to your socks/shoes when they are soaked on a long run (dry pair in special needs not a bad idea in case you feel a blister coming on).

3) Ice in a hat is painfully cold for me, but if you can tolerate it your head has tremendous heat-transfer potential and this can really cool you down.  Desoto also makes a 3 pocket top specifically designed for using ice (one between shoulder blades, one farther down, and one at the bottom).  Thunderbear (Sindbale - finished 3rd in IM champs one year when he got serious about temp management after several meltdowns in heat in years prior) also believed in a latex glove full of ice, but I just can't go there due to extreme dorkiness.

4) Of course you also need to nail your hydration/electrolyte replacement... that may include adjustment to pacing/effort based on the heat... the harder you ride/run, the less your body will be able to absorb and you need to manage the sweat/hydration deficit carefully... some like me are capable of sweating faster than our stomach can absorb liquid.

Thsi is where compression socks/sleves come in soooo handy.  Here in FL we get "squishy shoes" just from all the sweat on a long run.  Add in water on top of the head and you have water logged shoes all day.

A few months back we tried out some compression sleves and CEP compression socks.  Besdies the other benefits they supply, they help keep your shoes and socks dry.  They really are nice.

2011-04-25 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3464090

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
mdfahy - 2011-04-25 6:51 AM

Check out the course profile: The hills are not that bad. More of a rolling course than a hilly one; Best of all, unlike IMLP, the run course is flat. I think one advantage to the bike course is that it keeps everyone from getting too bunched up and having to jostle for position. (All that passing and re-passing to avoid a drafting penalty is way more taxing than a few hills IMHO)  

I suspect that your training will guide you on how to stay warm/cool hydrated and fed throughout the day; especially if you are able to train in some less than perfect conditions.
2011-04-25 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
For the ladies out there I find that ice in the sports bra has been a huge help for keeping your core cool

2011-04-25 10:59 AM

Master
, California

Here in FL we get "squishy shoes" just from all the sweat on a long run.  Add in water on top of the head and you have water logged shoes all day.

One thing I'll mention - especially for you guys from the southeast - is that Coeur d'Alene is nice and dry.  They never get the humidity that you're familiar with.  So even on a "hot" day, you're not swimming in your own sweat.

But as for the actual temperature: be ready for anything.  Bring long sleeves / windbreaker, other warm stuff just in case.  I think it was upper 40s / low 50s one year on the run, with drizzle.  And the opposite happens too.  2006 was 97+ degrees.

Last year was moderately warm... 88-90 I think.  It was a little maddening running down Centennial Trail alongside the lake in the heat while watching teenagers jumping off a diving board into the lake.  I wanted to take a detour and join them for a minute.

2011-04-25 12:00 PM

User image

Salt Lake City, UT

I did just about nothing last week and it was fantastic.  I had a recovery week planned after my HIM, but I ended up doing about half of what I had planned.  I'm sure this was the right choice.  I was either fighting a mild virus on top of allergies or bumped up against overtraining.  Rest works for both so I went there.  I also did some spring cleaning and reconnected with the family, both very necessary for my mental well being.

Now I'm feeling rejuvenated and ready to put some really good training in the bank.  I completely agree that May is a pivotal month.  Make sure to plan for adaptation/recovery in addition to all your break through workouts.

P.S. we've discussed the bike course elevation here a lot.  my .02 is that it isn't a rolling course.  most of the climbs are not matched with an equal descent.  The climbs on their own aren't ridiculous, but the lack of rhythm is what throws a lot of people off.  Last year my heartrate averaged in my Z2 and I avoided spiking above Z3, but it was constantly going up and down along with my cadence.  If you have never ridden this course and are highly rhythm dependent for your pacing, I would train in a way that mimics the changing nature of this course not just the climb grades.

2011-04-25 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3464425

User image

Elite
SE

leopard8996 - 2011-04-25 10:58 AM For the ladies out there I find that ice in the sports bra has been a huge help for keeping your core cool

Hate to say it, but I highly encourage this practice 8)

(too easily set up)

2011-04-25 12:39 PM

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho

For a Newbie....the hills on the Cda course are a KILLER!   Having a very hard time figuring how to get through the hills and still keep my HR down and leave enough for the Marathon.  I figure there are about 22 hills per 56 mile lap.    On the largest hill I am averaging 6mph....not  sure how to keep my HR down without crawling.   I will practice on them as much as possible.....

2011-04-25 1:02 PM

User image

Regular

Had a great recovery week last week after HIM. I did some strength work on Thursday. 6 mile run on Saturday and 50 mile bike on Sunday. 

Now time to get back to the real work. I have my first "big day" the first weekend in May, so I am gearing mentally for that. Happy Monday everyone

2011-04-25 1:26 PM

User image

Seattle, WA

Ok, nerd alert.  I just realized yesterday that I have been riding a standard crank, and not a compact like I had assumed.

This results in two feelings: embarrassment that I am a walking stereotype (dumb blonde), and pride that I have been pushing a lot of hills with a greater degree of difficulty than I had been thinking.

Lucky for me my husband just bought a nice compact crank for his bike, so I'm planning on borrowing for the race.  Is there anything I should know about transitioning from one to the other?  I heard it can throw you off trying to find the proper gearing if you're used to the 53/39.

Training for me last week went pretty well:

S:  
7150.00 Yd
2h 39m

B: 
234.00 Mi
14h 38m
R:  
25.08 Mi
3h 38m 22s

The bike is high and run low just due to scheduling a long run on Saturday last week and Sunday this week; and the bike Sunday last week, Saturday this week.
2011-04-25 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3464791

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
mango6383 - 2011-04-25 2:26 PM

Ok, nerd alert.  I just realized yesterday that I have been riding a standard crank, and not a compact like I had assumed.

This results in two feelings: embarrassment that I am a walking stereotype (dumb blonde), and pride that I have been pushing a lot of hills with a greater degree of difficulty than I had been thinking.

Lucky for me my husband just bought a nice compact crank for his bike, so I'm planning on borrowing for the race.  Is there anything I should know about transitioning from one to the other?  I heard it can throw you off trying to find the proper gearing if you're used to the 53/39.

As you know I'm a big proponent of a compact crank for almost anyone on this course.  It will help you pace the bike correctly and be able to have a tighter cassette so you can be in the perfect gear more often.

I would not recommend swapping bikes on race day.  If it's the bike you'll ride in the race, you should spend a bunch of time on it in training.  As for getting used to the shifting... it works the same way so not much of a difference.  When it's too easy shift to a harder gear, when it's too hard shift to an easier gear.  Avoid cross chaining if you can... but I suspect you'll find your sweet spot gears for most of the ride are aligned better on the compact crank.

2011-04-25 1:41 PM

Extreme Veteran

Last week was my biggest week of training;  it was bike focused.  I had a 75 mile bike planned for Saturday that turned into an 84.64 mile ride after trying to avoid dirt roads and getting lost a couple of times.  The total climb was 288 ft.  This week is more run focused and not as intense.  Great work everyone- let's hope for better weather.

S:  
0.00 Yd
2h 00m
B: 
184.04 Mi
11h 07m 20s
R:  
29.24 Mi
4h 55m 47s
2011-04-25 3:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
You guys are making me feel like a freak for not really caring at all about the hills.
New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171