General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2011-07-09 6:36 AM
in reply to: #3098185

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread
ok, so why are some pictures being pulled??

2011-07-09 7:12 AM
in reply to: #3587678

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
ckunst - 2011-07-08 11:19 PM

Fred Doucette -  Posted 2011-07-06 8:19 PM    Question?? How many here are doing their very first ironman at LP this year?? I've always thought the most exciting ironman is your very first and was just curious about this group as I suspect a lot are doing their first here.

For my husband, myself, and one son, this is our first Ironman and 2nd IM for the other son that is also doing this with us.  Currently I am feeling very apprehensive that we should have worked on this longer before attempting it.  Yet we want to be able to do this with our sons, so this year it is.   

I am finding that my run times are getting slower.  I think the heat and maybe tired legs are contributing.  The question that comes then is “do I still do my run by time?” or “should I go a little longer to achieve the distance that should be achieved in that amount of time?”  I also have had to go home during my runs as I consume all the fluid I can carry with me and have to refill before continuing.  It sure gets hard to go back out  after coming home.

Been having trouble with neck pain, esp. after long bike rides.  Finally went to a chiropractor, and an x-ray showed that my top 4 cervical vertebrae were displaced from a car accident years ago.  Biking in the aero position has been exacerbating the situation. 

Detroit Dan – if you want to run late with us, I’m sure all the cowbells will be gone by the time we go by.  Just one idea on how to avoid them --

Hey ckunst - For me the long run is simply about time on the feet, so on my long runs I don't worry about the distance at all - I only run time. i have actually found that if I worry about distance at all i wind up playing "beat the clock" and running too hard. I even try to run unfamiliar routes to help with this. On my long runs (and bikes) I will often plan my routes so I can get back by the house or car and pick up more bottles and food. Just think of it as good training for that LP run. I can only imagine the difficulty of running back through town and past the finish two extra times...!

hopefully between the chiro and taper the neck will be good to go on race day. Hang in there!

2011-07-09 7:22 AM
in reply to: #3587807

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
mrbbrad - 2011-07-09 7:36 AMok, so why are some pictures being pulled??
That's not cool - especially if it takes away from our post count. What got pulled mrbbrad?

what does everyone have on tap for today - I think there is some tapering already going on? I have a 1 hour recovery bike, then will begin getting the bike out of training setup and into race mode for a long race simulation brick on Wednesday. Too early to start talking about bike setup?

for me only 4 more (Sunday - Wednesday) tough-ish workouts to go until taper-time!

2011-07-09 7:24 AM

Good morning just wondering how to find out bib# have a safe taper see you in Lake Placid.
2011-07-09 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3587834

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

brim - 2011-07-09 8:24 AM Good morning just wondering how to find out bib# have a safe taper see you in Lake Placid.

Here ya go brim: http://c28910.r10.cf1.rackcdn.com/2011/07/July-LP.pdf

2011-07-09 8:13 AM

Thanks good in Lake Placid.

2011-07-09 8:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit
ckunst - 2011-07-08 10:19 PM

Detroit Dan – if you want to run late with us, I’m sure all the cowbells will be gone by the time we go by.  Just one idea on how to avoid them --

Good Plan. I'll be there. Actually, I really hope I am.

2011-07-09 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3587831

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit
TankBoy - 2011-07-09 7:22 AM
mrbbrad - 2011-07-09 7:36 AMok, so why are some pictures being pulled??
That's not cool - especially if it takes away from our post count. What got pulled mrbbrad?

what does everyone have on tap for today - I think there is some tapering already going on? I have a 1 hour recovery bike, then will begin getting the bike out of training setup and into race mode for a long race simulation brick on Wednesday. Too early to start talking about bike setup?

for me only 4 more (Sunday - Wednesday) tough-ish workouts to go until taper-time!

following the BT FREE Plan, I have a 3 hour ride today followed by a 30 minute run. It's 90ish outside today. I might shorten the run to only 15 minutes. Then hit the indoor track for an hour easy run. My feet need some time in my new shoes.

2011-07-09 8:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
No training for me today, ZERO, NONE NADA, taking dogs to the beach for fun and sun. I'll get back to my regular scheduled program on Sun, but today is fun only, heck I may even eat a hotdog and have some fries!
2011-07-09 8:41 AM

Good luck to everyone.Hoping for good weather .
2011-07-09 8:55 AM

User image

ckunst - 2011-07-08 10:19 PM

Fred Doucette -  Posted 2011-07-06 8:19 PM    Question?? How many here are doing their very first ironman at LP this year?? I've always thought the most exciting ironman is your very first and was just curious about this group as I suspect a lot are doing their first here.

For my husband, myself, and one son, this is our first Ironman and 2nd IM for the other son that is also doing this with us.  Currently I am feeling very apprehensive that we should have worked on this longer before attempting it.  Yet we want to be able to do this with our sons, so this year it is.   

I am finding that my run times are getting slower.  I think the heat and maybe tired legs are contributing.  The question that comes then is “do I still do my run by time?” or “should I go a little longer to achieve the distance that should be achieved in that amount of time?”  I also have had to go home during my runs as I consume all the fluid I can carry with me and have to refill before continuing.  It sure gets hard to go back out  after coming home.

Been having trouble with neck pain, esp. after long bike rides.  Finally went to a chiropractor, and an x-ray showed that my top 4 cervical vertebrae were displaced from a car accident years ago.  Biking in the aero position has been exacerbating the situation. 

I think it is just so thrilling you will be doing this as a family... we will all be rooting for you, you can do it!

My plan, ironfit intermed, (which I haven't been following exactly!) calls for like 3 hour bike today,  1 hour run tomorrow which I have to bag completely as I am working all weekend Cry.... ack, this job thing really gets in the way of this ironman thing.... I didn't want to work weekend before, weekend of, or weekend after race so there you have it!  I am trying to tell myself what I know ya'll say which is the hay is in the barn already, right!!!

Have fun this weekend

2011-07-09 10:19 AM

User image

ckunst - Mr. Tankboys' advice is spot on.  I can tell you, running is my best discipline and right now my run times ARE A FAR CRY from where they normally are; especially on my long runs.  If you're tired and slower right now in our PEAK Training, I'm told that's exactly where we are supposed to be.   If you are setting Long Run PR's right now, then you are leaving too much Race Day Effort in training.  Your best day should be on July 24th when you are fresh, tapered and recovered.  Not in early July when you are beaten, battered and fatgiued.

mrbrad - I see all the pictures. 

Today I have a 2 hour Run scheduled, according to my Be IronFit Plan.  Last Long Run!!   
2011-07-09 12:06 PM

Veteran

Hi All! I agree with all that has been said about the long runs. After a 20 last weekend I did 12 yesterday as my last "long run" and it was pretty miserable. Running is my favorite part but I am glad to not have anything on the schedule longer than an hour!

For the super long runs and bikes I have been setting up my car as an "aid station" and doing loops back to it since it is easier than coming back to my apartment downtown. This worked out perfectly.

Today was the last "long brick" with a 4hr bike and 30 minute run. Why does it always seem like the week after your peak week is the hardest workout week? I think its mental... like, in my head I am "tapering" but I still have to do stuff. Hopefully next week will be easier! The heat and humidity have not been helping. Looking forward to some nice Canadian airmasses up in LP!

2011-07-09 12:41 PM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA

4500 yards in the pool this morning. Felt great the whole swim.

Short 30ish mile bike ride tonight then a Sprint race tomorrow morning.(325yard/11mile/5k)

The hopefully a 60 mile ride tomorrow afternoon once I get home from the race. I would love to just ride from the race home but I'm going to be at the race alone so no way to get my stuff home if I do.

2011-07-09 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3587825

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-07-09 1:06 PM

Veteran
Walworth (Gananda), NY
I'm a big fan of "Stupid Easy" pace anytime That's what my run was today, or at least it felt like it. My running times have all dropped quite a bit this year. I've always been more of a track sprinter, so anything more than two miles always used to (up until I started doing tri's in '05) seem crazy to me.

I guess the key thing I always to remind myself of is... This is what I've been training for, there's no reason doing something stupid now to jeopardize the months and months of hard work I've put into it.

Continue to stay safe and injury free everyone.

2011-07-09 4:35 PM

Stole this from the CDA thread.  EXCELLENT re-cap video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neVcAP_s_DE 
2011-07-09 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3588316

Veteran

Dream Chaser - 2011-07-09 5:35 PM Stole this from the CDA thread.  EXCELLENT re-cap video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neVcAP_s_DE 

Loved it! Can't wait until it's our turn

2011-07-09 7:21 PM

New user

Dream Chaser - 2011-07-09 5:35 PM Stole this from the CDA thread.  EXCELLENT re-cap video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neVcAP_s_DE 

Am I the only one who watched it with tears streaming down my face at the end?!?  Holy taper emotional!  I can't wait for it to be us!

2011-07-09 7:29 PM

Veteran
State College, PA

Talk about motivational. Awesome video.

2011-07-09 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3587953

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Dream Chaser - 2011-07-09 11:19 AM 

If you're tired and slower right now in our PEAK Training, I'm told that's exactly where we are supposed to be.  

I am so glad to read this. My runs have been s l o w.

2011-07-09 7:56 PM

Veteran
Havertown, PA
ckunst - 2011-07-08 11:19 PM

ckunst - 

We've met!  (That is, unless there are other ENTIRE FAMILIES from Michigan doing IMLP this year...I doubt it!!).

We stood in line together for 5 hours to sign up for this crazy thing exactly 50 weeks ago.  I had the privilege to meet you, your husband and your sons and we talked for hours.

You were nervous then, and you are clearly nervous now.  Guess what, we all are!!  I'm freaking out.

I've thought about you guys alot over the long cold winter, wondering how you were doing.  Great to see you are almost there and you are ready.  You ARE ready!

I really admire your family.  You are doing something absolutely extraordinary together (seriously, how many families have done this???  All lined up together at the start of an Ironman...it's amazing!).  

This is something which your sons will brag about forever!  "Our Mom and Dad trained their butts off for a year and lined up for a freaking Ironman just to do it with us".  Unreal.

I'm sure you will do great, but no matter what happens you should be incredibly proud of yourself.  You are an IronMom already .

Just stay calm, get yourself to the starting line, and soak in the day.  Whatever happens will be a PB!

I'll certainly be rooting for you guys.

Greg

2011-07-09 8:51 PM

Veteran
Vicksburg
Thanks Fred for the advice.  My run times have fallen off during this peak period also.  Fatique has been a major issue along with the heat.  I had my last long day this AM, I have a 1:05 min. tomorrow.  I am looking forward to an hour run.
2011-07-09 10:03 PM
in reply to: #3588494

Grant, MI

Greg - How great to hear from you!  I have wondered how things were going for you as well.  We all took your advice and got a 2 piece DeSoto wetsuit.  My husband and I made the mistake of ordering the Water Rover, since we were looking for any help we could get in the swim.  The site we ordered from said it would be legal until 2013.  We were quite dismayed to later discover that they are already illegal for WTC events.  Fortunately for us, the company we ordered from took them back and applied the money towards the First Wave wetsuit.  I have also thought of how you said you would get out and train early in order to have time for your family the rest of the day.  I have to confess that although I planned to do the same, I never made it before work and on Saturdays, was so tired that I never got out as early as intended. 

One reason we were (are) so nervous is that when we were signing up, we had almost no triathlon experience.  My husband had never done one and I had only done a very short neighborhood one.  We still don't have much experience but we did do a HIM the 1st Sunday in June.  It was hard and as I finished I thought I can't imagine doubling this.  Now I don't think a HIM sounds so bad, but the full one still seems daunting.  When I tell one of the sons we are doing this with that I'm afraid I may have a DNF, he encourages me by saying that is better than a DNS.  That is our mindset - we are starting and will give it everything we have to finish.

Half of our children are doing it with us - our 2 bachelor sons.  We also have 2 married children - the ones who have provided us with our 6 grandchildren.  (Yes, we are blessed as well as crazy.)  Sometimes I run (rather than drive) over to my daughter's  house (8.5 miles away) and my oldest granddaughter (just turned 4 in June) says she wants to go out and run with me.  I guess I have to keep going now until I can do things like this with my grandchildren as well. 

Thanks so much for saying hi and for all the encouragement.  Looking forward to seeing you again.  As you go across the finish line, know that where ever I am on the course, I am cheering for you.    Have a safe and healthy last 2 weeks.

Chris

2011-07-10 7:16 AM
in reply to: #3588619

Champion
Philly 'burbs
ckunst - 2011-07-09 11:03 PM

Half of our children are doing it with us - our 2 bachelor sons.  We also have 2 married children - the ones who have provided us with our 6 grandchildren.

I hope we get to meet the whole crew!

Ok, it's official; just had my first Ironman dream. I've had lots of triathlon dreams but this was the first IMLP specific one. Nothing major yet, just navigating around the crowded Village pf Lake Placid the days before the race (except of course it didn't look anything like Lake Placid in my dream)

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 112