BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-02-09 1:31 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by cdban66

I'm working through some aspects of the race that I wasn't pleased with. The course was nice. Mile 10-11 went through here:

16 bands, great weather, nice after party, yada, yada, yada. My performance was not what I hoped for, thus my displeasure. Don't misunderstand though, I have a variety of things I am very happy with, just a small amount that I'm wrestling with. So "displeasure" is kind of strong. 

I mentioned this to a couple people, so I'll open it up to the group. I had higher hopes from a time perspective (although I did PR), and there was little in the way of course or environment that slowed me down. My only limiter was me. So, I started looking for a "redemption" race this morning. One is in 3 weeks, but I ruled it out due to a church obligation. Another one, that I have repeatedly done, is about 5 weeks out. It is sold out. So, I think at this point I'll just let it go and move into tri season. 

Sometimes we just have off days, including race days. You've also not had the training you'd hoped so don't beat yourself up about it. It doesn't really sound like either of the redemption races fit your schedule. You could try to find another or, like you said, just move in to SBR.

Training wasn't bad at all. Grumpy glute on my left was an occasional issue, but not too bad. Hammie on the right was the same. Hammie said hello at about mile 4 or 5, just after the bridge, but calmed down almost immediately. My issues were water intake just out of the Botanical Gardens, since I can NOT drink with my lungs and a bad job of seeding myself, since we got to the corrals late waiting for my sis. Lots of zig zag in mile 1. Both of those I can fix. The real issue was that I knew my goal was gone by then and at that point I folded like a bad hand. That is something I REALLY need to work on.  

The good side of things is that I continue to improve, my effort level has increased (even if it has a long way to go), and I truly enjoy the process as well as the event. So there is way more good than bad.

2015-02-09 1:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Well I guess Janyne, Mary and I are in the right cities

Nice! 

Although - taking NOTHING away from your three awesome cities - I'd argue that Austin is still the new Austin, having just moved here and visited SA a half dozen times in the last 6 months.  SA is great, but IMO has a ways to go to beat Austin...  OK, I just don't want to be left out of the cool kids list!.    Plus, I don't want Monica and Tony to move back north!  Austin will become the Manatee hot spot in the coming years... Muhahahahaaa!!!

Ahem.

Really, as long as I'm not in Boston this winter, I'm good. 

Matt

2015-02-09 1:43 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Nice! 

Although - taking NOTHING away from your three awesome cities - I'd argue that Austin is still the new Austin, having just moved here and visited SA a half dozen times in the last 6 months.  SA is great, but IMO has a ways to go to beat Austin...  OK, I just don't want to be left out of the cool kids list!.    Plus, I don't want Monica and Tony to move back north!  Austin will become the Manatee hot spot in the coming years... Muhahahahaaa!!!

Ahem.

Matt

Meh, this article is about cities to visit not live in. Tony and Monica are safe...for now!

Sadly I've got so much on my plate this year it will be the first time I don't go to Austin in a while. And it has nothing to do with new vs old

2015-02-09 1:48 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I'm working through some aspects of the race that I wasn't pleased with. The course was nice. Mile 10-11 went through here:

16 bands, great weather, nice after party, yada, yada, yada. My performance was not what I hoped for, thus my displeasure. Don't misunderstand though, I have a variety of things I am very happy with, just a small amount that I'm wrestling with. So "displeasure" is kind of strong. 

I mentioned this to a couple people, so I'll open it up to the group. I had higher hopes from a time perspective (although I did PR), and there was little in the way of course or environment that slowed me down. My only limiter was me. So, I started looking for a "redemption" race this morning. One is in 3 weeks, but I ruled it out due to a church obligation. Another one, that I have repeatedly done, is about 5 weeks out. It is sold out. So, I think at this point I'll just let it go and move into tri season. 

Sometimes we just have off days, including race days. You've also not had the training you'd hoped so don't beat yourself up about it. It doesn't really sound like either of the redemption races fit your schedule. You could try to find another or, like you said, just move in to SBR.

Training wasn't bad at all. Grumpy glute on my left was an occasional issue, but not too bad. Hammie on the right was the same. Hammie said hello at about mile 4 or 5, just after the bridge, but calmed down almost immediately. My issues were water intake just out of the Botanical Gardens, since I can NOT drink with my lungs and a bad job of seeding myself, since we got to the corrals late waiting for my sis. Lots of zig zag in mile 1. Both of those I can fix. The real issue was that I knew my goal was gone by then and at that point I folded like a bad hand. That is something I REALLY need to work on.  

The good side of things is that I continue to improve, my effort level has increased (even if it has a long way to go), and I truly enjoy the process as well as the event. So there is way more good than bad.

There's Chris.   

I feel you on this, though.  As Matt said, your short description fits most every race I've done.  There have been surprises where the finish time has worked out better than I hoped, and also those days that **felt like** they went sideways - even with fairly well executed training and racing. 

There have been a few where The Better Half had to kick me in the shin and point out the good (one just like yours where I PR'd, but got smoked relative to target time - and she was right, as always).  Usually takes me the better part of a week to get my head straight after one of those, but I can be a bit dense, so.... 

All that just to say congrats again on the PR (and I get the mixed nature of your feelings on it).  Just keep saying, "PR.  PR.  PR..." 

Matt

2015-02-09 1:51 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Nice! 

Ahem.

Matt

Meh, this article is about cities to visit not live in. Tony and Monica are safe...for now!

Sadly I've got so much on my plate this year it will be the first time I don't go to Austin in a while. And it has nothing to do with new vs old

Yeh, I hear ya', but stick by my thoughts on the two.  In fact, even more so for just a visit (done a LOT of visiting to both in the last 9 months!!). 

That said, I'm sad to hear you won't be coming by any time soon.  Maybe you should put the beer mile on the calendar for next year???  Just had some very fine IPA from a local brew-pizza-joint this weekend (I can almost still taste it...  mmmmmmmmm).

2015-02-09 1:55 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Nice! 

Ahem.

Matt

Yeh, I hear ya', but stick by my thoughts on the two.  In fact, even more so for just a visit (done a LOT of visiting to both in the last 9 months!!). 

That said, I'm sad to hear you won't be coming by any time soon.  Maybe you should put the beer mile on the calendar for next year???  Just had some very fine IPA from a local brew-pizza-joint this weekend (I can almost still taste it...  mmmmmmmmm).

C\\\\

C'mon now. People rave about your cities all the time. Can't someone else have a little glory once in a while?

2015-02-09 2:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Nice! 

Ahem.

Matt

C\\\\

C'mon now. People rave about your cities all the time. Can't someone else have a little glory once in a while?

Point taken!

I'm still basking in the "I can't believe I don't have to shovel eleventy-three feet of snow" effect. 

(and will be until it's eleventy-three degree out

Matt

2015-02-09 2:12 PM

User image

Seattle

Nice! 

Ahem.

Matt

Yummm, which one?

I loved the ABGB, craft pride and Easy Tiger for beer.

2015-02-09 2:13 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Nice! 

Ahem.

Matt

C\\\\

Point taken!

I'm still basking in the "I can't believe I don't have to shovel eleventy-three feet of snow" effect. 

Matt

I hear ya. We've lived here for 5 years but still enjoy the fact that the answer to any snowfall is that it will be gone when the sun comes out.

2015-02-09 2:15 PM

User image

Seattle

I think you are most certainly doing something wrong if you don't walk away from a race with things you can do better. I also think this goes right along with what we were all talking about last week in terms of accomplishing something like a PR yet the achievement being fleeting and wanting more. 

While it sounds like you can't obtain that "redemption" in the immediate future you can most certainly start attacking the to do list. It sounds like mental strength is one of them so, get after it! Develop a plan and execute. 

2015-02-09 2:15 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by jobaxas I can't catch up BUT - I follow Smoky's story with interest and am so happy! In sad news got a friend, complete triathlon rockstar in hospital with Guillan Barre syndrome, he can move his little finger that's it. Intubated and sedated. He's got it as bad as you can. The mental anguish this will cause him doesn't bear thinking about. Went from feeling under the weather to this in a week. so my aches and pains from two hours in a handstand prep class are nothing. Not noteworthy. Love you all.

I don't know much about this disease and possible prognosis but I wish him well.  Things like this are terrible for anyone to deal with but for someone who lives for our type of activity it must be doubly so.  I strongly believe what we do is a great gift never to be taken lightly and this is a reminder.

2015-02-09 2:19 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

While it sounds like you can't obtain that "redemption" in the immediate future you can most certainly start attacking the to do list. It sounds like mental strength is one of them so, get after it! Develop a plan and execute. 

Yep, I am on that. I am off for the next couple of days, but the planning has already started.

2015-02-09 2:26 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

What a beautiful setting.  Sounds like overall a great day.  And "continue to improve" with a PR is none to shabby.  Yes, there are always things that can be improved upon but isn't that the case 99% of the time.   Good job.

2015-02-09 2:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Had a pretty good training weekend.  Saturday did a 10 mile run on one of my favorite trails.  It rained so hard that I was soaked to the skin after the first mile.  I felt pretty tired from the start and think it is a sign I need to rest and recover a bit more.  My run was supposed to be 14 miles so I made a mid-run decision to cut it back.

Sunday was much better.  It was 57 degrees and a calm, sunny day.  Pretty sweet for this time of year.  I took my bike out on the road and did 26 miles.  That first time out after all the trainer sessions is a little humbling.  Was happy with my overall pace of 19.5 MPH (about 500 ft. of climbing so fairly flat) but know I'll get faster as I get used to the road again.  I ride very differently on my trainer than the road which takes adjusting to.  On the trainer I tend to push bigger gears at a lower cadence.  My sweet spot for sustaining highest estimated wattage is with a cadence of about 80.  On the road, it's in the low 90's.  Don't know if that is common or a sign I'm not doing something right??.  I can see that as I push these rides out to 2-3 hours these will be my key workouts for HIM success.

I've got 4 x 500 in the pool this afternoon and an easy 5 mile run this evening.  Start of week three of my 20-week HIM plan.

Edited by popsracer 2015-02-09 3:01 PM
2015-02-09 3:09 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Katy, Texas
Chris - great job! It's good to never be satisfied, but you also need to be proud of what you've accomplished!!
2015-02-09 3:13 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by popsracer

Had a pretty good training weekend.  Saturday did a 10 mile run on one of my favorite trails.  It rained so hard that I was soaked to the skin after the first mile.  I felt pretty tired from the start and think it is a sign I need to rest and recover a bit more.  My run was supposed to be 14 miles so I made a mid-run decision to cut it back.

Sunday was much better.  It was 57 degrees and a calm, sunny day.  Pretty sweet for this time of year.  I took my bike out on the road and did 26 miles.  That first time out after all the trainer sessions is a little humbling.  Was happy with my overall pace of 19.5 MPH (about 500 ft. of climbing so fairly flat) but know I'll get faster as I get used to the road again.  I ride very differently on my trainer than the road which takes adjusting to.  On the trainer I tend to push bigger gears at a lower cadence.  My sweet spot for sustaining highest estimated wattage is with a cadence of about 80.  On the road, it's in the low 90's.  Don't know if that is common or a sign I'm not doing something right??.  I can see that as I push these rides out to 2-3 hours these will be my key workouts for HIM success.

I've got 4 x 500 in the pool this afternoon and an easy 5 mile run this evening.  Start of week three of my 20-week HIM plan.

That's a great pace on the bike. I've got to get my bike and run times faster. What are you averaging watt wise to get to 19.5? I don't have a power meter but the spin bike I used on Saturday was telling me watts. I wasn't sure what was good. I'd say I averaged around 150 for the hour I was on there.

I'm in week 11 of the HIM plan. Run focused. I'm going to get my kicked this week I have a feeling.

2015-02-09 5:08 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Jet Black

That's a great pace on the bike. I've got to get my bike and run times faster. What are you averaging watt wise to get to 19.5? I don't have a power meter but the spin bike I used on Saturday was telling me watts. I wasn't sure what was good. I'd say I averaged around 150 for the hour I was on there. I'm in week 11 of the HIM plan. Run focused. I'm going to get my kicked this week I have a feeling.

Maybe I should not have said wattage because I don't have a power meter and try to estimate using a calculator so I don't really have an accurate answer.  I rely more on my speed to gauge my effort from one session to another, especially on the trainer.  I know it is not a great metric for effort but I pretty much just ride as hard as I can given the distance, etc.   Hopefully on race day I can back off a bit from my training sessions and have a good run.  

So, did you do the 1000m swim time trial a few weeks ago?  I really hated that. 

2015-02-09 6:57 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

That's a great pace on the bike. I've got to get my bike and run times faster. What are you averaging watt wise to get to 19.5? I don't have a power meter but the spin bike I used on Saturday was telling me watts. I wasn't sure what was good. I'd say I averaged around 150 for the hour I was on there. I'm in week 11 of the HIM plan. Run focused. I'm going to get my kicked this week I have a feeling.

Maybe I should not have said wattage because I don't have a power meter and try to estimate using a calculator so I don't really have an accurate answer.  I rely more on my speed to gauge my effort from one session to another, especially on the trainer.  I know it is not a great metric for effort but I pretty much just ride as hard as I can given the distance, etc.   Hopefully on race day I can back off a bit from my training sessions and have a good run.  

I've been missing about one workout a week, and that just happened to be the one I missed that week. Sounds like I chose a good one to skip haha.

Edited by Jet Black 2015-02-09 6:58 PM
2015-02-09 7:17 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

Master
Northern IL

I've been missing about one workout a week, and that just happened to be the one I missed that week. Sounds like I chose a good one to skip haha.

Some of the ones you hate the most could also be the ones you need the most. 

And I wouldn't really depend on power at one of the gym bikes for much. They could be all over the place as far as accuracy goes. I've seen them linked to cadence, but also have the ability to vary resistance. Maybe if it was something like a CycleOps one that essentially has a PowerTap built into it (I haven't looked in great detail there)

2015-02-10 7:17 AM

Master
Northern IL

What a beautiful setting.  Sounds like overall a great day.  And "continue to improve" with a PR is none to shabby.  Yes, there are always things that can be improved upon but isn't that the case 99% of the time.   Good job.

Did you like just being out there? More and more I keep looking back to this. Used to do this more before getting into tri and seem to be heading back that way. Some areas the faster I take them the more fun they are, and for others speed isn't that relevant. Getting faster and stronger is more to just do more of these activities as opposed to putting up a great time.

2015-02-10 9:15 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

So I have two mice running around my classroom right now and a spider in the sink. Can someone please save me from the spider?

the mice aren't "classroom" pets. neither is the spider...

2015-02-10 9:23 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by brigby1

Did you like just being out there? More and more I keep looking back to this. Used to do this more before getting into tri and seem to be heading back that way. Some areas the faster I take them the more fun they are, and for others speed isn't that relevant. Getting faster and stronger is more to just do more of these activities as opposed to putting up a great time.

Ben, I have always appreciated the ability to race and train, so yes, being out there is something I do enjoy. At this point I am in the odd spot of enjoying what I do, yet wanting more. Maybe that isn't so odd.

RR is done. Sarasota Music Half Marathon

2015-02-10 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Of course we are!

2015-02-10 10:19 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I think that this is one of those cases where you will gain some perspective after some time passes.  I ran a race a while back and I was just really upset about my time.  I trained really hard and thought that I'd do better.  Then something like a year later I looked up my time.  I was like, why was I upset?  It wasn't what I had hoped for but it wasn't that far off.  I think that we are sometimes too hard on ourselves.  Yes, that can push you to do better/go farther than you have in the past but if you did the training and you did the best that you could that day, what more can you do?  Don't beat yourself up over it.

ETA: Said the person who is grumpy because she isn't happy with her training blah blah blah.

Edited by jmkizer 2015-02-10 10:25 AM
2015-02-10 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice! 

Ahem.

Matt

C\\\\

Point taken!

Matt

I hear ya. We've lived here for 5 years but still enjoy the fact that the answer to any snowfall is that it will be gone when the sun comes out.

We don't own a snow shovel.  We should probably consider getting one.  Last time we had to shovel, we used the regular "dirt" shovels. 

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55372 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.