BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2010-10-12 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3148116

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
TrevorC - 2010-10-12 4:02 PM It took me a while, but for those of us who have NO CLUE what barry looks like, I found him!!
http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=57915&BIB=2909&LNSEARCH=1&PWD=

Wink

HOLY COW... Thanks Trevor for the new avatar.  Those pics had been watermarked out earlier. 

2010-10-12 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3138641

User image

Champion
marietta
wait. what?
2010-10-12 6:22 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
Suzy - I'm a STRONG advocate for getting a shelter dog. I refuse to get any animal from a breeder.
However - in your case of being allergic to dogs and need a specific dog breed, I'm "alright with that". :-)

Things to look for:  Do they allow puppies to STAY with their moms for at least 8 weeks? Often times breeders wean too early. Do they provide papers of their parentage history? If not, turn your head the other way.  Are they AKC certified breeders?  Ask for references and be diligent on them.  If you're looking at a breeder's house, is it clean? Water is provided at all times? Are the dogs barking like crazy/jumping on you (this is a no-no...that means they didn't bother to train the basics).   Are the dogs clean? Do they smell nice? Are toys/entertainment provided? Is there any exposed wires?

If you go to the breeders home and you see about a dozen dogs, or different breeds, or more than 15-20 dogs. Look away. They're backyard breeders, and all they care about is money and a tell-tale sign of inbreeding.
Best time to get a dog is when a dog is about 4 to 6 months old. They're still puppies, but they've gotten their social experience. The more they are allowed to socialize with other dogs, children, animals, the better they are.  My dog is very sweet, very good at dog parks, but she does not like puppies and will growl at them if they bother her.  Puppies can be aloof, and do not know when to "back off" from an adult animal that is annoyed.   She's good with women, but takes a while to warm up to males and will bark like crazy when approached for first meeting, but then she's fine.

I also HIGHLY suggest you after getting the puppy, is to start Puppy training classes right away.  I started training with Stardust as soon as she finished her third round of shots. Basic obedience class goes a long way.  Petsmart classes, I'm not familiar with them - but I've had a good Obedience/agility teachers that taught us.   The biggest thing I learned about my dog is patience.  It took her a while to be housebroken (skittish, and fearful issues from being outside...which make sense, because she was abandoned as a puppy).  Now she's perfectly fine.

I could go ON and on and on.....

Just ask me any questions through PM, and I'll gladly to answer them for you.  I used to be a Veterinary Technician, so I know my fair share of animals. :-D  Hugs and I wish you BEST of luck!  Do not RUSH into this, which is a big mistake for many owners, hence why many dogs end up in shelters - even purebred dogs.

Edited by CyborgQueen 2010-10-12 6:23 PM
2010-10-12 6:26 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
One more thing- do the research online, and see if there's any common health problems with Labadoodles. I think they have hip issues, I'm not sure. If so, the breeder SHOULD be able to provide you with special xrays and Veterinarian notes that there's no hip issues for the parents.  Hip dysplasia can be genetic, and is common in labs.  They're not small though.

Maybe you can look for Mini poodles?

I have no idea what breed my dog is. She looks like a mini Border collie. Collie face, but Pomeranian butt/tail. 
2010-10-12 6:28 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
Lastly - if anyone is very interested in any shows in Vegas, please let me know...I can get you local discounts. ;-)

I highly recommend Jubuliee. Very classic...and I saw them naked. Ooh yeah.  I've lived here for over 2 years, and I've YET seen any Cirque de Solie show. lol.  
2010-10-12 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3146771

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Plainsman AU - 2010-10-12 9:22 AM CAUTION......Training question ahead!!!!!!!!

I am a little ( or maybe a lot) confused about the direction I need to head over the course of the winter.  I am volunteering next month at IMFL to sign up for next years race.  Trying to figure out what direction to take to be ready to start IM training next june.

My running is my main concern, and I was going to train for a feb marathon so that I would be really RUN focused over the winter, but I have been steered away from that as it would jeopardize my other two sports.  I have been looking at some of the End. Nation stuff which suggests work on the bike and the run, and that makes sense.

I am thinking that Jorges winter cycling plan would be similar intensity as the EN cycling????and free from BT.  Work on increasing my long run each week and mix in some intensity and intervals during the week (which I have never done)????  Maybe swim once or twice a week????

Any advice from you seasoned Ironmen and Ironwomen?

Hey!!!!!!!!!!  Look who's back!!  You are heading to Florida?  I might head down too!  If I can't make it, I am sitting my butt down in front of the computer to register.  If I don't get in, I'm heading back to Kentucky.  My winter plan includes Jorge's plan and to run 4-5x per week without any real schedule until structured training begins for my May HIM.  If you need the confidence, do a marathon, but otherwise skip it and do the Rev3 1/2 in Knoxville in May.  I'll call you soon to catch up.

2010-10-12 6:42 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
OK...So I got a great idea...I think.

Do Jorges cycling plan over the winter and train for the marathon (really don't care about completing "the marathon") but do the local half marathon here in auburn after the first of the year. 

Save the money going to New Orleans would cost me...and

BUY A NEW BIKE!

2010-10-12 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3148352

User image

Elite
san francisco
CyborgQueen - 2010-10-12 4:26 PM One more thing- do the research online, and see if there's any common health problems with Labadoodles. I think they have hip issues, I'm not sure. If so, the breeder SHOULD be able to provide you with special xrays and Veterinarian notes that there's no hip issues for the parents.  Hip dysplasia can be genetic, and is common in labs.  They're not small though.

Maybe you can look for Mini poodles?

I have no idea what breed my dog is. She looks like a mini Border collie. Collie face, but Pomeranian butt/tail. 

I think the labradoodle is out, it was just my crazy suggestion and Suzy needs a smaller dog <47 lbs. 

Can't wait to meet you, DJ, you are a fountain of information! 
2010-10-12 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3148374

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Plainsman AU - 2010-10-12 7:42 PM OK...So I got a great idea...I think.

Do Jorges cycling plan over the winter and train for the marathon (really don't care about completing "the marathon") but do the local half marathon here in auburn after the first of the year. 

BUY A NEW BIKE!

I was contemplating the same exact thing - half mary in February.  Love the new bike part!!
2010-10-12 7:02 PM
in reply to: #3148357

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
CyborgQueen - 2010-10-12 7:28 PM Lastly - if anyone is very interested in any shows in Vegas, please let me know...I can get you local discounts. ;-)

I highly recommend Jubuliee. Very classic...and I saw them naked. Ooh yeah.  I've lived here for over 2 years, and I've YET seen any Cirque de Solie show. lol.  

My wife and I have plans to head out there to see some friends and to take in a couple of Cirque shows.  We have seen five so far.  I must say, those are some amazing performers.  I highly recommend seeing one!

I still say Suzy goes with a Jack Russell.  Take them for runs - once they are worn out, you can stop.  You have gotten in a good workout.  For the first two years, I never saw the dog sleep!  She is very fun, energetic and affectionate.  I used to take her with me mountain biking and hiking and she could keep up without any problem!

Edited by Jeepguy2358 2010-10-12 7:07 PM
2010-10-12 7:03 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
***no i'm not post padding. My train of thoughts has been steady on track...maybe a little fast, so I haven't been able to gather them all in one place***

Suzy - I didn't realize that you already had experience with dogs.  I just assumed that you are a new dog owner, and I am just passing on my "fountain of information" to you. :-)   I did my research and learning about taking care of a dog before adopting one out. Even though I have experience dealing with them, but I've never owned one. I've had cats my whole life...and that's a WHOLE 'nother story. Lol.

I can't wait to meet you all! IF you want a less "busy" place to eat together, I suggest OFF the Strip. Rio has a great buffet "World Buffet". At least this way, no one can complain about what style of food to get. They have all sorts of foods from different parts of the world. India, Japan, American, Italian, etc. Just a thought.  I know it's a pia to try to deal with tastes with group of people.  I personally prefer American comfort foods over anything else because I do not get stomach issues, even from eating a WHOLE pie of pizza. :-P 

2010-10-12 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3148374

User image

Elite
san francisco
Plainsman AU - 2010-10-12 4:42 PM OK...So I got a great idea...I think.

BUY A NEW BIKE!

Do Jorge's cycling plan and train for the half marathon that you are going to do there in Auburn.
Half marathon training will be a great way for you to build up your running base.  I think you can get more out of your training this way than training for a marathon you are not planning to do.  I know I would not want to do 20+ mile runs without having a marathon on the schedule. 

But that is just me...maybe if I was Terps or Suzy, 22 miles would be just another Sunday run...

AND BUY THAT NEW BIKE!!! 
2010-10-12 7:17 PM
in reply to: #3148430

User image

Champion
marietta
kt65 - 2010-10-12 8:13 PM
Plainsman AU - 2010-10-12 4:42 PM OK...So I got a great idea...I think.

BUY A NEW BIKE!

Do Jorge's cycling plan and train for the half marathon that you are going to do there in Auburn.
Half marathon training will be a great way for you to build up your running base.  I think you can get more out of your training this way than training for a marathon you are not planning to do.  I know I would not want to do 20+ mile runs without having a marathon on the schedule. 

But that is just me...maybe if I was Terps or Suzy, 22 miles would be just another Sunday run...

AND BUY THAT NEW BIKE!!! 

is there a typo? 

2010-10-12 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3148357

User image

Champion
marietta
CyborgQueen - 2010-10-12 7:28 PM Lastly - if anyone is very interested in any shows in Vegas, please let me know...I can get you local discounts. ;-)

definitely interested!!!! THANKS!!!!

2010-10-12 7:26 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Buy a new bike, now there's a great idea.  Will have to get Tony's idea on that in a few months.

Linda
2010-10-12 8:29 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
DJ--Thank you so much for the advice!!  I had a mini schnauzer before, but we were familiar with the breeder.  It's a totally different ballgame this time around.  I will plan to visit the breeder and check out their set up.  So far, I have talked to three.  I thought I found the perfect little guy, but turns out Cavapoos shed....back to the drawing board.  All advice welcome and I will send you a couple of questions via PM.

Barry--glad you decided on a course of action leading up to your IM.  I like Chris's idea of coming to REV3!!!  All the cool cats will be there.

Chris--would love to have a spunky Jack.  My niece does breed rescue for them and has three of her own currently.  They are wild.... but they shed and drive my allergies crazy. 

John--count me out for the nudie show.  I saw it in London.  I don't need to be reminded that I have a negative boob size while on vacation! 

2010-10-12 8:45 PM

User image

Barry, thinking alot about your IMFL question. 

I did a marathon the winter before IMFL just so I knew I could do it...it was a totally mental thing for me.
One thing I found in training for IMFL was it is a long season.  I planned on Gulf Coast to get "on the course" but didn't plan on much after that becasue I didn't want to mess up my training plan.  Big mistake!  May to Nov is a big chunk of time.  I was bored and envious of everyone else racing.  I threw in a few last minute races just to keep it interesting.
There is plenty of time to train for a marathon (or half) and keep the bike fitness/training going.

I have been thinking about IMFL '11 alot.  Even passed it by my husband and he is on board, ready to go back.
Now new dilema presents itself.....just found out the race I missed last weekend deferred me to next year...so I get to race that (next Oct) and it's already paid for  .  Not sure if I can do two big races one month apart next year.  May wait for IMFL '12. Gotta think this one through...was already looking forward to going back to FL.      
2010-10-12 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3148576

User image

Champion
marietta
Havin'Fun - 2010-10-12 9:45 PM .....just found out the race I missed last weekend deferred me to next year...so I get to race that (next Oct) and it's already paid for  

beer money.
2010-10-12 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3148444

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-12 6:19 PM

We can hit Jubillee on the way back from the Chicken Ranch. Oh and after seeing Zumanity.

There is an Italian place in New York New York we like.

Edited by TrevorC 2010-10-12 8:55 PM
2010-10-12 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3148576

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Havin'Fun - 2010-10-12 7:45 PM Barry, thinking alot about your IMFL question. 

I did a marathon the winter before IMFL just so I knew I could do it...it was a totally mental thing for me.
One thing I found in training for IMFL was it is a long season.  I planned on Gulf Coast to get "on the course" but didn't plan on much after that becasue I didn't want to mess up my training plan.  Big mistake!  May to Nov is a big chunk of time.  I was bored and envious of everyone else racing.  I threw in a few last minute races just to keep it interesting.
There is plenty of time to train for a marathon (or half) and keep the bike fitness/training going.

I have been thinking about IMFL '11 alot.  Even passed it by my husband and he is on board, ready to go back.
Now new dilema presents itself.....just found out the race I missed last weekend deferred me to next year...so I get to race that (next Oct) and it's already paid for  .  Not sure if I can do two big races one month apart next year.  May wait for IMFL '12. Gotta think this one through...was already looking forward to going back to FL.      

Thank you. You seem to be the only one to agree with me on that! Totally mental.
2010-10-12 9:13 PM
in reply to: #3148593

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2010-10-12 9:55 PM
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-12 6:19 PM

We can hit Jubillee on the way back from the Chicken Ranch. Oh and after seeing Zumanity.

There is an Italian place in New York New York we like.

CHICKEN RANCH!!!

and wtf is up with the umps!  damn.

2010-10-12 9:44 PM
in reply to: #3148601

User image

Elite
san francisco
TrevorC - 2010-10-12 6:59 PM

Thank you. You seem to be the only one to agree with me on that! Totally mental.

Wait, wait, wait!!!  Last year, when I signed up for and did my December marathon, it was something I wanted to see if I could do and train for without getting injured, and if I could, only then would I consider doing an IM.  In retrospect, I don't think it was necessary, however, I am glad I did it.  I am not sure I would have signed up for IMWI without the knowledge that I could indeed do it. 

For me, though, it had to do with my prior history of plantar fasciitis and the fear of re-inflammation vs. the mental knowledge that I could complete the distance.  I brought this up to my coach though and we were very careful about really monitoring the body work out to work out. 

Edited by kt65 2010-10-12 9:55 PM
2010-10-12 10:35 PM
in reply to: #3148662

User image

Master
kt65 - 2010-10-12 7:44 PM
TrevorC - 2010-10-12 6:59 PM

Wait, wait, wait!!!  Last year, when I signed up for and did my December marathon, it was something I wanted to see if I could do and train for without getting injured, and if I could, only then would I consider doing an IM.  In retrospect, I don't think it was necessary, however, I am glad I did it.  I am not sure I would have signed up for IMWI without the knowledge that I could indeed do it. 

For me, though, it had to do with my prior history of plantar fasciitis and the fear of re-inflammation vs. the mental knowledge that I could complete the distance.  I brought this up to my coach though and we were very careful about really monitoring the body work out to work out. 

I TOTALLY get the mental side of wanting a marathon at your back!!! No offense to anyone who does it, but I could not even fathom an IM had I not run a marathon. The people who can and do -- my hat's hugely off to them!!!! That said, I think there is a little bit of "ignorance is bliss." Knowing what a marathon is like was always at the back of my mind when doing long rides, and on race day as well. It's a bit daunting, but really for an IM you can't think of the big picture very often. It's all sorts of little pieces coming together, one stroke, pedal, and step at a time.
2010-10-12 11:20 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Hey gang.  Sorry for lack of posts lately.  Lots going on lately so not a lot of time on the computer.  Traveled to Phoenix today and will be here the rest of the week.  The people I was with at dinner today said that they were happy the heat finally broke  last week...the high was "only" 92 deg. today!!

All this talk about next year's races makes me realize I need to get planning for my schedule!!!
2010-10-13 5:20 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Quick!  Check your calendar...if racing is on it, tell us all about the fun you are planning to have!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 81