General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2012-08-11 7:17 AM
in reply to: #4356827

Veteran
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread
gadgetlaw - 2012-08-10 11:01 AM

Hi all,

I am signed up for the half this year and am getting very excited!!  Now if only the dreaded plantar fasciitis would go away so I could run....

Quick question for anyone who has done the race before.  Is the shuttle from T1 to the start for athletes only, or can family ride too?

Looking forward to a fun race!

Karen

T1 closes more than 1 hour prior to the HIM start so there is plenty of time to stroll to the swim start.

2012-08-11 8:53 AM
in reply to: #3931455

User image

Only for the athletes
2012-08-11 7:03 PM
in reply to: #4348970

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
ryceelliott - 2012-08-06 11:57 AM

The long hours have started showing up for the weekend rides. Who has what on tap for the weekend?

On a different note, has anyone figured out why we do this yet? I've come to realize that I enjoy it, but I can't figure out why?Wink

My plan still has my only with a 4 hour long ride today with a 30 min brick run.  Just trying to get to the line healthy.  Was quite pleased with the workout today and overall been pretty happy with the Fink plan thus far.  Moving into the peak phase next...

2012-08-14 3:34 PM
in reply to: #4358797

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia

Does anyone know if the Full sold out last year?  I'm committed to doing it, but I'm waiting until the last minute to sign up just in case of injury, life changes, work etc etc.  The deadline for the refund of 50% is coming up on 9/1.  After that you're SOL so I'm waiting as long as possible.  (Have I mentioned how much I LOVE non M-Dot races!!!).

Was there a big rush of people after Louisville last year (for redemption per se)?  Or was it basically open up until the week of the race?

2012-08-14 6:07 PM
in reply to: #4363201

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Lance 140.6 - 2012-08-14 4:34 PM

Does anyone know if the Full sold out last year?  I'm committed to doing it, but I'm waiting until the last minute to sign up just in case of injury, life changes, work etc etc.  The deadline for the refund of 50% is coming up on 9/1.  After that you're SOL so I'm waiting as long as possible.  (Have I mentioned how much I LOVE non M-Dot races!!!).

Was there a big rush of people after Louisville last year (for redemption per se)?  Or was it basically open up until the week of the race?

Yes, it sold out at the end of August.

2012-08-14 8:02 PM
in reply to: #4363448

Veteran
Does any one have an idea of what the new bike course looks like?  Only map I can find still shows T2 at the battleship.

2012-08-15 10:24 AM
in reply to: #4363565

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Silver member
bhctri - 2012-08-14 9:02 PM

Does any one have an idea of what the new bike course looks like?  Only map I can find still shows T2 at the battleship.

I don't know anything factually but it seems that the only change will come at the end when we'll make a left turn onto the bridge that goes over Cape Fear River instead of heading to the battleship. The grating on that bridge is ugly and goes on for a long while..hopefully they figure something out.

I could be totally wrong about having to ride over that bridge but I don't know how else we can get to T2...
2012-08-15 10:34 AM
in reply to: #4364311

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

alltom1 - 2012-08-15 11:24 AM
bhctri - 2012-08-14 9:02 PM Does any one have an idea of what the new bike course looks like?  Only map I can find still shows T2 at the battleship.
I don't know anything factually but it seems that the only change will come at the end when we'll make a left turn onto the bridge that goes over Cape Fear River instead of heading to the battleship. The grating on that bridge is ugly and goes on for a long while..hopefully they figure something out. I could be totally wrong about having to ride over that bridge but I don't know how else we can get to T2...

What he said.  I asked the organizers about this a while back and they said any changes would be minor and at the end.  I think that the distance difference between the bike finish over the bridges to the battleship and the new one through town to the convention center are minor enough that they can be addressed with adjustments to the out and back section off Wildcat Road.

2012-08-15 11:31 AM
in reply to: #4363201

Veteran
I was thinking the full didnt sell out till early Oct. but I could be totally wrong. Of course, the event was two or three weeks later last year. Anyhow, there are still over 250 slots available. Just go online periodically and check participant list.
2012-08-15 6:39 PM
in reply to: #4364440

Veteran

My wife will be along the run course cheering me on.  I have a drink mix that works very well for me and would love to get a bottle of it during the run.  I'm certain that getting a bottle from a spectator is frowned upon but I can't find it mentioned on their web site.  Any idea if it is allowed and the penalty?  This is only on the run.

2012-08-15 7:41 PM
in reply to: #4365293

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
I really don't think they're going to bust you for it. Is it technically legal, no. But unless you're in the running for prize money or an AG place, they're not going to say anything I bet. If you are really worried about it, just freeze it overnight and put it in your special needs bag that morning and it will be good to go by the run portion of the race. Or stick it in our T2 bag frozen that morning.

2012-08-16 8:28 AM

User image

Veteran

Just bought an ifitness belt with 4-8oz bottles. I hardly noticed it there on a 13 mile training run...wish I could say the same for my feet and legs..+1 on the freezing the bottles and putting them in T2. I'm planning to fill with Infinit for sodium/calories on the run and use the aid stations for water as needed

2012-08-16 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4365826

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Silver member
2moremiles - 2012-08-16 9:28 AM

Just bought an ifitness belt with 4-8oz bottles. I hardly noticed it there on a 13 mile training run...wish I could say the same for my feet and legs..+1 on the freezing the bottles and putting them in T2. I'm planning to fill with Infinit for sodium/calories on the run and use the aid stations for water as needed

When you run with Infinit, do you find the stuff foams up inside the bottle? I'm trying to decide whether to go with the stuff myself...
2012-08-17 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4365876

User image

Veteran

http://www.infinitnutrition.us/

Good Question- I don't know, I'm going to pull the trigger on Infinit next week...bought a lot of stuff this week and need to space it out to keep the wife calm....

I'm looking at it because you can tailor the blend to how you want it by using the slider on the web page for Calories, Electrolytes, Amino Acids,Caffiene etc.. You can talk to one of there sales people by adding it to your cart....

Stay Tuned....

2012-08-17 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4367810

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia

I found Infinit foamy when I used it and just didn't ever really care for it either way.  Wasn't bad, just wasn't great I guess.  Some people swear by it though.

I've started using all the EFS products and really like them.  They seem to be less foamy and work better for me.  As we all know, this nutrition stuff is tricky some times so you have to test out everything it seems.

2012-08-17 12:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta

I  have an Infinit mix specifically for the run, i.e. no protein.  I believe it's the protein that makes it foam.  Also, infinit has changed the formula somehow recently that it doesn't really do that as much anymore.  More so if you put the powder in the bottle and then fill with water.  I run with mine and have no problems. 

Also, I believe there's a special needs for the run as well, so you can drop a bottle there as well (what I plan to do).  So I'll have one for the first 13 (from T2) and one for the second 13.

On the idea of having someone give you a bottle... as a USAT official I feel I should tell you that it's illegal.   No outside help.  You should really be ok with the special needs and what's on course.

I love Set Up's events, but always disappointed that they only have Heed on course.  I wish they'd get a new nutrition sponsor.  I'd rather have plain old gatorade out there.

2012-08-17 12:59 PM
in reply to: #4368187

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
jessica71980 - 2012-08-17 12:44 PM

I  have an Infinit mix specifically for the run, i.e. no protein.  I believe it's the protein that makes it foam.  Also, infinit has changed the formula somehow recently that it doesn't really do that as much anymore.  More so if you put the powder in the bottle and then fill with water.  I run with mine and have no problems. 

Also, I believe there's a special needs for the run as well, so you can drop a bottle there as well (what I plan to do).  So I'll have one for the first 13 (from T2) and one for the second 13.

On the idea of having someone give you a bottle... as a USAT official I feel I should tell you that it's illegal.   No outside help.  You should really be ok with the special needs and what's on course.

I love Set Up's events, but always disappointed that they only have Heed on course.  I wish they'd get a new nutrition sponsor.  I'd rather have plain old gatorade out there.

Man, thanks for that reminder!  I completely forgot that they have HEED on the course.  That stuff tastes like !!!!!  I'll be bringing a fuel belt or something similar with me for the run!

2012-08-17 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4365293

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
bhctri - 2012-08-15 7:39 PM

My wife will be along the run course cheering me on.  I have a drink mix that works very well for me and would love to get a bottle of it during the run.  I'm certain that getting a bottle from a spectator is frowned upon but I can't find it mentioned on their web site.  Any idea if it is allowed and the penalty?  This is only on the run.

I forgot to address this, sorry.

Unauthorized Assistance. No participant shall accept from any person (other than a race official) physical assistance in any form, including food, drink, equipment, support, pacing, a replacement bicycle or bicycle parts, unless an express exception has been granted and approved, in writing, by USA Triathlon. The receipt of information regarding the progress, split times, or location of other competitors on the race course shall not be considered the acceptance of unauthorized assistance. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.

Distance CategoryFirst Offense Second Offense Third Offense
Youth Events1 minute2 minutesDisqualification
Short/Intermediate – Cycle Course less than 50k2 minutes4 minutesDisqualification
Long – Cycle Course 50-100k4 minutes8 minutesDisqualification
Ultra – Cycle course greater than 100k6 minutes12 minutesDisqualification

2012-08-17 7:03 PM

User image

Veteran

Jessica, appreciate the intel on Infinit. How would you rate it on;

1) Taste?

2) keeping you from bonking?

3) do you use it as your only source of calories?

Thanks,

Tim

2012-08-17 7:03 PM

User image

Veteran

BTW,

+2 on nasty race day Heed....

2012-08-19 8:02 AM
in reply to: #4368785

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
2moremiles - 2012-08-17 8:03 PM

Jessica, appreciate the intel on Infinit. How would you rate it on;

1) Taste?

2) keeping you from bonking?

3) do you use it as your only source of calories?

Thanks,

Tim

I'm a huge fan of infinit.  I've been using it for about 3-4 years (once I started doing more than sprints).  I'm cheap so I don't use it on my shorter days, only my longer rides and runs.  This is the first year I'm using a running specific mix in addition to my bike mix because I'm training for my first full.

On taste - They have 3 flavors to choose from (fruit punch, lemon lime, orange).  I've never had the orange.  The other 2 I love.  You can also customize that detail when you make your formula, how strong you want the flavor.  And some days, if I don't want as strong, I'll use a 24oz bottle instead of 20oz like it says.  I think, because it's everything I need, my body quickly came to crave it when I'm out on a long ride.

On bonking - You can make your formula how you want, including calories, protein, electrolytes, amino acids, etc.  The whole point of the product is that it's everything YOU need in one bottle.  I've never had a problem unless I got lazy and didn't drink all I was supposed to.

I try to use it as my only source of calories because it's so easy.  I did for both my HIM's.  The only reason now I sometimes bring a half of power bar or shot bloks or something is just because my rides are so long and I get bored, and want a "treat".  There's something comforting about a semi-solid at mile 70. lol.  But I don't need it for nutrition, just a mental break.

The run mix is working well too.  Since it's a lot harder to eat anything while running, I'm depending on liquid calories for my 4.5 hr. marathon portion. 

And no, I don't work for infinit and am not affiliated with them in any way. Just a big fan.  If you have questions, just call them.  They'll do a personal consultation with you.  And when you look at the cost of all the other nutritional stuff we tend to buy, the price is not bad at all!  A bag is 25 servings.  That's less than $2 a serving.  You pay that for one gatorade at the gas station.

I'm sure my friend won't mind if I share this:

For a 10% discount at Infinit use code: Concepts

2012-08-19 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4369757

User image

Veteran
Jessica - AWESOME, Thank you. Makes a lot of sense. I really like the idea of getting all the calories in one bottle and if taste is palatable or even great all the better.  Thanks for the deep dive and the coupon (SUPER). I'm in :-)
2012-08-20 9:29 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Hi there. I'm in the half B2B, not the full. but I am proposing a BT post race gathering I would like to host. I put a thread for it in the North Carolina forum if anyone is interested.
2012-08-20 9:36 PM
in reply to: #4372429

User image

Boulder, Colorado

Claw,

I love the idea and would love to meet some BTers!  Your journey has been awesome and very inspiring, and I'm so glad things worked out with the bikes.

2012-08-27 6:18 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Silver member
So, I read on ST that the maps for the bike course will be up soon. It sounds like the full course has a stretch that goes the opposite way from earlier years. The half course is unchanged except for the end.

Unfortunately, we will have to cross the bridge into downtown(the 2nd bridge on the old run course) and that means a long stretch of grating. I freely admit I'm not looking forward to that part(no big deal, I'm sure...the RD will figure something out)

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 15