BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-01-20 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3955221

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed
Hi there - I had a 3 mile run on today's schedule. Made it to the gym at 5:15a to run on the TM (the treadmill used to not bother me at all - in fact I did some 9-10 mile runs on TM a few years ago...but my attention span is MUCH shorter now. I can maybe pack in an hour).

Anyway, I didn't even hit my 3. Complete motivation meltdown. I made it 2 miles and then walked hills for another 0.75. I think I should have taken yesterday off instead of going 7 in a row and taking tomorrow off. Lesson learned. I'll take tomorrow as rest and then do my long run on Sunday (OUTSIDE).

The main view from the TM at my gym is watching people lift. BORING. I think I'd rather watch Zumba.

Edited so I could tell you I actually did 2. As Meatloaf says, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Right?

Edited by enders_shadow 2012-01-20 10:36 AM

2012-01-20 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4001463

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Joeyj1974 - 2012-01-20 11:23 AM

I'm pretty new to BT, actually participating rather than lurking Not sure what you are talking about and I can't figure out how to even create a blog or even read the ones from our group.  

Thanks

It's really just your training log.  I call it a blog because one of the editable fields is listed as "blog".

This article explains the training log features and how to set up a friends list and use the "Inspire me" feature: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=417

This link will take you to my training log: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=76416&year=&month=&day=

I have a table at the top of my log that has links to all the group member training logs.  You can copy and paste this into your log.  Just highlight the chart, right click, and select copy.  Now go to your training log and click the "edit" button that sits in the box between your calendar and your profile picture.  Paste the chart into the box and hit "ok".  You should now have a link to everyone's training logs.

2012-01-20 10:42 AM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Happy Friday!

I'm working from home today and forgot my sons school is out today for some reason and my wife is in Cali for work til Sunday...  Looks like no pool time this weekend for me, going to do some weights and some spin bike time in my Man-Cave.  No DVD/TV in mine yet.  Got to pull the spin bike out into the family room to watch some zombie tub to keep thy mind of the hurting bum.  I can't get myself to put on my road shorts in the house, so I just suffer with no padding.. 

Question:  I'm going to look into picking up some Tri/Ironman DVD's for spin bike entertainment/motivation and wanted to see if there are any you all would recommend..  I was guessing prior couple of years Kona races would be available for download/purchase.   

Also, I just read You Are An Ironman and looking for more good tri reads.  Any other good motivational/helpful tri books.  You Are An Ironman really gave me the encouragement that I can do a IM, just need to put in the hours/miles.  Also gave me the push to fully commit to complete my first HIM this year.  Just two years ago this would not have even been a dream as it would have been outrageously absurd.  I couldn't even run 1/2 mile!  I'll post my before and after pics so you can see where I come from.  I had weighed over 300 pounds for nearly 20 years.  Just two years ago I was 340 pounds.      

2012-01-20 11:02 AM

New user
Woolwich, Maine

Just reading all of today's posts.  They are great!  Iron Penquin... I loved your post.  I just got a pair of yak traks this week and I can't wait to try them out tomorrow morining.  We just got 8 inches of snow this morning and should get more tomorrow.  I'm hoping instead of slipping while trying to run up the hills I can actually just run them. 

Have a great friday! 

2012-01-20 12:05 PM

Middle Tennessee

Cold is evil.  I would never make it if I lived further north then I do now.  As it is, 40's are miserable to me.  So I am doubly inspired by people who own things called Yak traks  

Weight loss update for me.  I am down to 162.  And at a BMI of 24.6.  I am normal!  I lost 1.2 lbs total lbs this week.  I lost 4 lbs of fat and gained 1.8 lbs of muscle, the other lb was water.  I am going to lose another 10 lbs, and we will then determine my final goal weight.  Love that I have someone who knows what they are doing helping me with the weight loss. 

Kidlette stayed home from school again today, so no swim or run for me today again.  My saddle was back ordered, so I won't get it until next week.  It is making it hard to get on the bike.  But I can't cycle - which means that I need to be on the bike today anyway. pbbt!

2012-01-20 12:26 PM
in reply to: #4001702

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
KatNWater - 2012-01-20 12:05 PM

Cold is evil.  I would never make it if I lived further north then I do now.  As it is, 40's are miserable to me.  So I am doubly inspired by people who own things called Yak traks  

Weight loss update for me.  I am down to 162.  And at a BMI of 24.6.  I am normal!  I lost 1.2 lbs total lbs this week.  I lost 4 lbs of fat and gained 1.8 lbs of muscle, the other lb was water.  I am going to lose another 10 lbs, and we will then determine my final goal weight.  Love that I have someone who knows what they are doing helping me with the weight loss. 

Kidlette stayed home from school again today, so no swim or run for me today again.  My saddle was back ordered, so I won't get it until next week.  It is making it hard to get on the bike.  But I can't cycle - which means that I need to be on the bike today anyway. pbbt!

Kat - Keep up the great work.  I'm in the same boat - kid at home and no workout time

2012-01-20 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4001518

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Joeyj1974 - 2012-01-20 11:42 AM

Question:  I'm going to look into picking up some Tri/Ironman DVD's for spin bike entertainment/motivation and wanted to see if there are any you all would recommend..  I was guessing prior couple of years Kona races would be available for download/purchase.   

Also, I just read You Are An Ironman and looking for more good tri reads.  Any other good motivational/helpful tri books.  You Are An Ironman really gave me the encouragement that I can do a IM, just need to put in the hours/miles.  Also gave me the push to fully commit to complete my first HIM this year.  Just two years ago this would not have even been a dream as it would have been outrageously absurd.  I couldn't even run 1/2 mile!  I'll post my before and after pics so you can see where I come from.  I had weighed over 300 pounds for nearly 20 years.  Just two years ago I was 340 pounds.      

Hey Joey, there is at least the 2011 Kona on YouTube, just gotta hunt a bit for the full length one. Also on Hulu there is an older one as well as an hour long show on some triathloner (can't remember their name, I think Bennett or something) as well as a really inspirational show about the Chicago marathon. if you have wireless, maybe you can watch one of those on your computer while you workout?
2012-01-20 12:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
quick question about biking, is your heel neutral (horizontal), up like sprinting, or down like riding a horse when you are pushing down on the pedal? How many of you are using road bike instead of tri-specific bikes yet? those that do use road bike, have you modified them to be more tri-like? ie. raise the seat, lower the handlebars, use aero bars?
2012-01-20 12:45 PM

Middle Tennessee

Joey - 18 hours of Ironman joy!

http://www.universalsports.com/video/assetid=035aaa7a-3c4d-49fa-90f2-845ca20de1cf.html#2011+ironman+world+championship

Well about 10 hours of Ironman joy, and 8 hours of watching people cross the finish line....

Edited by KatNWater 2012-01-20 12:47 PM
2012-01-20 12:51 PM

Middle Tennessee
And kidlette has just fallen asleep in my lap.  He needs the nap, and I am afraid to move him.  So there goes the bike trainer during nap time.  I think I am going to have to wait until after bedtime to get it in.
2012-01-20 1:05 PM
in reply to: #4001810

St. Louis
Cute. Its worth itLaughing

2012-01-20 1:08 PM
in reply to: #4001792

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
KatNWater - 2012-01-20 12:45 PM

Joey - 18 hours of Ironman joy!

http://www.universalsports.com/video/assetid=035aaa7a-3c4d-49fa-90f2-845ca20de1cf.html#2011+ironman+world+championship

Well about 10 hours of Ironman joy, and 8 hours of watching people cross the finish line....

Thanks a ton and I'm also going to jump on the spin bike once the kids are down for the count...  I'll set up the old lap top up in front of me and enjoy!! 

2012-01-20 1:23 PM
in reply to: #4001505

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

enders_shadow - 2012-01-20 11:35 AM Hi there - I had a 3 mile run on today's schedule. Made it to the gym at 5:15a to run on the TM (the treadmill used to not bother me at all - in fact I did some 9-10 mile runs on TM a few years ago...but my attention span is MUCH shorter now. I can maybe pack in an hour). Anyway, I didn't even hit my 3. Complete motivation meltdown. I made it 2 miles and then walked hills for another 0.75. I think I should have taken yesterday off instead of going 7 in a row and taking tomorrow off. Lesson learned. I'll take tomorrow as rest and then do my long run on Sunday (OUTSIDE). The main view from the TM at my gym is watching people lift. BORING. I think I'd rather watch Zumba. Edited so I could tell you I actually did 2. As Meatloaf says, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Right?

Uh oh...you've resorted to quoting Meatloaf.  You definitely need a day off!

Edited by esc 2012-01-20 1:24 PM
2012-01-20 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4001517

User image

Regular
NWA
esc - 2012-01-20 10:42 AM
Joeyj1974 - 2012-01-20 11:23 AM

I'm pretty new to BT, actually participating rather than lurking Not sure what you are talking about and I can't figure out how to even create a blog or even read the ones from our group.  

Thanks

It's really just your training log.  I call it a blog because one of the editable fields is listed as "blog".

This article explains the training log features and how to set up a friends list and use the "Inspire me" feature: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=417

This link will take you to my training log: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=76416&year=&month=&day=

I have a table at the top of my log that has links to all the group member training logs.  You can copy and paste this into your log.  Just highlight the chart, right click, and select copy.  Now go to your training log and click the "edit" button that sits in the box between your calendar and your profile picture.  Paste the chart into the box and hit "ok".  You should now have a link to everyone's training logs.

I did it and it works!  How fun - now I can write inspires!  Thanks, Emily.

2012-01-20 6:26 PM

Middle Tennessee
It is official!  I have put down my $225 + $16.95 processing fee, and I am registered for the Gulf Coast Half IM.  Surprised  I don't know whether to be happy or scared!!
2012-01-20 7:43 PM
in reply to: #4002483

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

KatNWater - 2012-01-20 6:26 PM It is official!  I have put down my $225 + $16.95 processing fee, and I am registered for the Gulf Coast Half IM.  Surprised  I don't know whether to be happy or scared!!

Awesome!!!  You will do great!  Will this be your first HIM? 

2012-01-20 8:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Yeah Kat
2012-01-20 8:31 PM

Middle Tennessee

Yep!

Over the past 9 years, I have 2 olys, 3 HM and 1 full under my belt.  I think I am ready for the next big challenge.

2012-01-21 9:19 AM

User image

Champion
Woot! Exciting, Kat!

Rest day for me today. Yeah! (I can tell from the glee with which I say this that I really really need a rest day...)

Have a good weekend, everyone!

2012-01-21 9:38 AM

User image

Regular
NWA

Hello Goonites- Hope everyone has a fantastic Saturday.  Back at it this morning with a run...University swim meet at the gym until 4pm...so I'lll be there shortly after that. 

I am motivated to go ahead and register for a race or two...since i've been pretty "on the wagon" with training. 

Group question:  How important is it to follow these plans exactly?  Like tomorrow I'm supposed to have an "off" day but the weather is supposed to be pretty awesome and I want to take advantage of a long ride outdoors with a group.  Its a long ride - longer than what is the suggested amount is for me in my plan.  But, I've gone out with this group before and every time I have I seem fine.  But, I've not done it while being this dedicated and sticking to a plan so well.  I'm guessing the worst that can happen is I'll be a little more sore than usual.  I know this may seem like a silly question - but I dont want to be so sore and perform so poorly the next week - just because my body is trying to heal itself. 

Second group question - is anyone following a nuturion plan for training?  I find I'm beginning to feel more hungry lately.  I have what I would call a healthy diet (except I drink entirely too much red wine).  Just curious what has worked for some...

Third - how much of a difference is there btwn a diving wetsuit and a wetsuit made for triathlons?  I have a diving shortie and full suit...body glove (so certainly not expensive ones).  Btw - did I mention I detest trying to put on a wetsuit?  Any tricks with these things?

Thanks,

Tammy

2012-01-21 11:11 AM
in reply to: #4001505

User image

enders_shadow - 2012-01-20 10:35 AM Hi there - I had a 3 mile run on today's schedule. Made it to the gym at 5:15a to run on the TM (the treadmill used to not bother me at all - in fact I did some 9-10 mile runs on TM a few years ago...but my attention span is MUCH shorter now. I can maybe pack in an hour). Anyway, I didn't even hit my 3. Complete motivation meltdown. I made it 2 miles and then walked hills for another 0.75. I think I should have taken yesterday off instead of going 7 in a row and taking tomorrow off. Lesson learned. I'll take tomorrow as rest and then do my long run on Sunday (OUTSIDE). The main view from the TM at my gym is watching people lift. BORING. I think I'd rather watch Zumba. Edited so I could tell you I actually did 2. As Meatloaf says, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Right?

Oh gosh, I feel your pain.  Thats exactly how my TM runs went this week.  But I had done my long run on Monday last week and never had a day off afterwards -   Those rest days are golden.  Motivation meltdowns can't always be avoided, but it's awesome that you still finished up on hills, etc.  Do you run with headphones on the TM?  It helps me out immensely - Lady Gaga is great running music (no matter what ya think of her!).

Hey all - what's on YOUR playlist?

2012-01-21 11:27 AM

User image

Wetsuit tricks - haha this reminds me of putting on a full suit the last time last year.  Body glide ankles shoulders arms, etc.  helps.

Soemone asked about DVDs  = thanks whoever posted the Ironman world championship link - I need to figure out how to hook my laptop up so I can watch it on the big screen!  I use spinervals DVD's - they really are pretty fun and challenging. 

Nutrition - I am pretty sure red wine and dark chocolate belongs on the nutrition plan for triathlon, but this is an area I would be interested in learning more.  I need to drop 10 lbs, but have the right kind of fuel for the intense workouts.

January seems to be race-signing-up month - it's so cooll to see all the different goals and challenges - how cool!  I'm doing my second HIM this year - last year was awesome, except I hurt my foot two weeks prior and it took almost 3 hours to get through the run portion and it was 105 heat index!  This year will be better, for sure, but just getting to the finish line was so inspiring.  The kind of people I met, listening to their stories, seeing what they were accomplishing was so much more important than the finish time.  I met this guy who was 80 years old - it was so cool to run with him on the course.  A wounded warrior, people of all sizes and backgrounds and experiences - so cool.  THAT's what makes triathlon different from just running - the goals and challenges are different, it's more about lifestyle than the clock.  I've looking for another HIM for the fall and my ultimate goal is to hear those magic words in 2013 -"Mary Rogers  - YOU ARE AN IRONMAN".  It will happen.

And I got my long run in.  With a local training group that is preparing for a local half marathon.  100 people or so all braving 5 degree windchill (no snow/ice thankfully) and met up with so old running partners.  It  was EXACTLY what I needed to recharge and recommit to my training.   I hope all of you get where you're going this weekend and are ready to tackle the week ahead

Forward motion everyone!

2012-01-21 5:36 PM
in reply to: #4003168

User image

Champion
iron_penguin - 2012-01-21 12:27 PM

Wetsuit tricks - haha this reminds me of putting on a full suit the last time last year.  Body glide ankles shoulders arms, etc.  helps.

Best advice I got for wetsuit was plastic grocery bags - put your hands or feet in them, slide the sleeve on, pull the bag out the arm/foot hole. Only thing that ever worked for me.
2012-01-21 6:02 PM
in reply to: #4001781

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

coolgenes - 2012-01-20 11:42 AM quick question about biking, is your heel neutral (horizontal), up like sprinting, or down like riding a horse when you are pushing down on the pedal? How many of you are using road bike instead of tri-specific bikes yet? those that do use road bike, have you modified them to be more tri-like? ie. raise the seat, lower the handlebars, use aero bars?

Mostly neutral, but sometimes I'll go heel down when climbing or when pushing a big gear on level road.  NOTE: If you constantly raise heels/drop your toes it may be a sign of bad fit (seat too high) or tight hamstrings.  Neither are good. 

I have a tri bike, but I'll often use my road bike when/if the course dictates (big climbs/descents, really windy, foul weather etc).  Anytime you need 'real' confidence in your bike handling-I find it's better to go roadie.  That being said, Tri bars are the first/most important thing to buy.  I'll usually slide seat forward on rails just a bit and get the front end a smidge lower.  DO NOT ruin a good, comfortable bike fit, trying to get more aero; if you can't hold the position for 90% of the race, you 'may' be better off leaving things alone.  I have a tri bike and I am a little faster on my tri-bike, but I have yet to win a race because of it.  Also, I got a once-in-a-lifetime deal on it or else I would never have bought one. 

2012-01-21 6:11 PM

Middle Tennessee

2 quality workouts in 1 day *may* have been 1 too many -  but I was getting itchy being house bound, and I wanted a really good run and a really good swim.  

Did 3 miles on treadmill, did .25 mi intervals. Switched between 7.3 and 6.0 - I can convert to min/mi, but don't feel like looking up the program.

Then I realized I hadn't been in the pool all week so I combined a speed workout and a LD workout.  It really felt good.

Now to open up a beer and watch my family play inappropriate video games for their ages...

Hope everyone else had a good Saturday!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  

of 23