BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2018-02-06 5:58 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Weight-loss/Workout Challenge Progress Report

Here's the first week weight-loss/workout progress results.  If you don't see your screen-name, or if your entry is incomplete, I didn't find your progress posted.  If you get the results up, I'll do an update.

One week down!  Remember - strive for progress, not perfection.

(0206.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0206.jpg (62KB - 1 downloads)

2018-02-06 10:13 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Weight-loss/Workout Challenge Progress Report
Interestingly enough, when I opened my browser this morning, one of the suggested articles talks about how exercise is not a great weight loss tool. This is the link. I know from experience that serious IM training can help lose weight but I think that's one of the non-typical situations they allow for in the article.
2018-02-06 11:23 AM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

New user

Scott,

I initially thought the set up of the weight loss point system was a lot of Math. LOL
However, even after a terrible week of gaining 2 pounds, I like to see the numbers for workout time. So thank you for putting this together!!
So we can see the positive.
2018-02-06 2:16 PM
in reply to: Onurleft20

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Wow, a chart! That makes it so real (not being sacastic, love it).

Didn't put down my minutes, sorry. Could you put my 305 minutes down so I don't look like such a slacker.

Thanks,
Mitzi
2018-02-06 2:26 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by MuscleMomma Wow, a chart! That makes it so real (not being sacastic, love it). Didn't put down my minutes, sorry. Could you put my 305 minutes down so I don't look like such a slacker. Thanks, Mitzi

Never thought you were a slacker - HONEST!

(0206.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0206.jpg (65KB - 3 downloads)
2018-02-06 2:35 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Onurleft20

Scott,

I initially thought the set up of the weight loss point system was a lot of Math. LOL

However, even after a terrible week of gaining 2 pounds, I like to see the numbers for workout time. So thank you for putting this together!!

LOL, it isn't a lot of math if you just plug numbers into a spreadsheet!  I'm a data geek - guess that flows from being an I.T. Consultant most of my adult life.  I have spreadsheets for everything!  This is just one more excuse to play with numbers.

2018-02-06 2:49 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I do have workouts logged for last week so maybe I could get started on the weight loss challenge scoreboard. If you're only counting tri specific workouts I have 30 minutes, but if you count the sport categories too then put me down for 220 minutes. I haven't been weighing myself regularly but I did look at the scale mid-week last week. You could put me down for 0 for weight points last week and I'll start checking on Sundays as of this coming weekend. Thanks for your efforts coordinating the challenge.
2018-02-06 3:05 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Micawber Interestingly enough, when I opened my browser this morning, one of the suggested articles talks about how exercise is not a great weight loss tool. This is the link. I know from experience that serious IM training can help lose weight but I think that's one of the non-typical situations they allow for in the article.

I didn't read the entire article nor did I link to the research paper that was referenced but I've seen this anecdotally over years working with athletes.

At the end of the day, it still comes down to -> calories in - calories out = weight gain/loss.  If that total is a negative number, you will lose weight, it that number is positive, you will gain weight.  Absent underlying medical issues, it really is that simple.

In my humble opinion, the problem people run into is two-fold -

1) People look at calories in/calories out as one thing.  I did this for a long time.  Like the woman in the article, I tied food and exercise together.  I regularly joked that I did triathlon so I could eat whatever I wanted.  It wasn't until I looked at calories in and calories out as separate that I began to see results.  I found that cleaning up my nutrition and maintaining a healthy diet went a long way.  Once I had that done, THEN I looked at the other part of the equation.  When I no longer tied the two together, I had MUCH more control.  I can control calories in, and I can control calories out.  When the two were conjoined, it was nearly impossible to control them.  A real common symptom of this is justifying calories in because of calories out - "I did that hard workout so I deserve that donut."

2) As we increase our physical activity, our bodies will need additional energy - i.e. calories.  That means more food intake.  Back when I was in High School and College, I was swimming 6-10 hours per day, seven days a week at times.  I was easily taking in over 15,000 calories a day.  That's all well and good when you are in your teens or early 20's.  You could eat Tupperware and survive.  As we get older and need additional calories, it becomes that much more important that we are following sound nutritional guidelines.  Taking in additional calories isn't, in and of itself, a bad thing.  Taking in the WRONG calories is where the problem lies.  I have been to countless races where a glass or bottle of beer was waiting for any finisher.  Many, many triathletes run over to the beer garden and chug down that cold beer, thinking, "I deserve this beer because I finished that triathlon" (see number one above).  Nutritionally, the last thing they should be doing is taking in a couple hundred empty calories.

Of course, none of my informal observations prove anything.  That said, it is fairly obvious to me that any meaningful weight loss will only come through a lifestyle change that includes an evolving nutritional strategy as well as exercise.  One without the other will likely only result in frustration.

2018-02-06 8:44 PM
in reply to: Homebush

New user
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group (OPEN)
Hi Heide, how was your half-marathon last Sunday?

Rob
2018-02-07 8:47 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Micawber I do have workouts logged for last week so maybe I could get started on the weight loss challenge scoreboard. If you're only counting tri specific workouts I have 30 minutes, but if you count the sport categories too then put me down for 220 minutes. I haven't been weighing myself regularly but I did look at the scale mid-week last week. You could put me down for 0 for weight points last week and I'll start checking on Sundays as of this coming weekend. Thanks for your efforts coordinating the challenge.

Hey Dwayne,

This is a gray area we get to re-visit every time we do a workout challenge.  Obviously swim/bike/run time counts as does strength/core time.  We've included yoga time as that certainly goes to core stability and balance.  

Beyond that, there are lots of things that certainly qualify as exercise, even strenuous exercise, but if they aren't somehow directly traceable back to triathlon we haven't included them.

So I guess the question is what sport categories are you talking about?

2018-02-07 9:31 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Gray Guys/Gals Group Co-Mentor

Hey everyone!

As those of you that have been around for a few years know, Steve Lutz (lutzman), is the guy that started the Gray Guys/Gals mentor group back in the day.  I became a "Gray Guy/Gal" shortly thereafter and in 2014, Steve and I began Co-Mentoring the group.  Following his bike accident at the Boise HIM in June 2014, Steve's focus understandably turned to his health and recovery.

Well, Steve is recovered and he is back!  I am happy to announce that Steve has agreed to again join me as Co-Mentor for the Gray Guys/Gals group.

Steve has been an inspiration to me as I'm sure he will be to all of you.  Together, Steve and I look forward to answering questions and helping all of you Gray Guys and Gals as you progress on your triathlon journey.

2018-02-07 4:11 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Originally posted by k9car363

Hey Dwayne,

This is a gray area we get to re-visit every time we do a workout challenge.

So I guess the question is what sport categories are you talking about?

Scott, or Steve now:
I'm guessing "stationary biking" would count and "badminton" will not. While "snow shovelling" and "dragon boat paddling" are both great core workouts, and good for general strength, neither are triathlon related so I'll discount those.

That leaves 50 minutes logged last week towards the challenge. There may be an opportunity for improvement there!
2018-02-07 5:06 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Gals Group Co-Mentor

Hey everyone!

As those of you that have been around for a few years know, Steve Lutz (lutzman), is the guy that started the Gray Guys/Gals mentor group back in the day.  Together, Steve and I look forward to answering questions and helping all of you Gray Guys and Gals as you progress on your triathlon journey.

Thanks, Scott.

It's nice to be back. But it's even nicer to have the desire to go out and train. I look forward to helping in any way I can.

I was thinking today about the wonder of the training effect and how quickly meaningful physical improvements and adaptation begins to kick in.

This past fall, after four years of doing very little in the way of exercise I was nearly 195 lbs (heaviest I've ever been) and had no real fitness. The week of Halloween I started back to training. So right now I've only been back training for about 90 days. Looking back at my training log I started out running 3 miles, 3X a week. Average speed was 10+ minutes a mile (a pace which felt like I was likely to die at any moment!). I started swim training 3-4X week on my home VASA machine, barely able to complete 500 meters.

This morning before work I put in 1500 meters on the VASA and felt great. During my lunch hour I logged six miles with the following one mile splits: 8:20, 8:00, 8:06. 8:20, 8:30. I was fading toward the end, but I felt reasonably strong the entire way.

Obviously, the above workouts viewed independently are hardly impressive. However, in about 90 days I dropped 15 pounds and changed to the point I can fully expect to complete an Olympic distance event without coughing up a lung.

What's the point? For all intents and purposes the 2018 triathlon season doesn't start until June. That's still over 120 days from now. Everyone of us can make HUGE fitness improvements between now and then...even if starting from zero. It just takes desire and a plan.

Have fun out there.

Steve

2018-02-07 6:40 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Micawber 

Scott, or Steve now: I'm guessing "stationary biking" would count and "badminton" will not. While "snow shovelling" and "dragon boat paddling" are both great core workouts, and good for general strength, neither are triathlon related so I'll discount those. That leaves 50 minutes logged last week towards the challenge. There may be an opportunity for improvement there!

That sounds fair to me.  I'll get the chart updated and posted in the next day or so.

2018-02-07 7:58 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: George is a Tri TV star
Hey George:

I finally got around to watching your video on IM race in Penticton. Very cool. It was a great story and you were terrific. Well done!

Steve
2018-02-07 11:14 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Here's the updated challenge points -

(0206.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0206.jpg (70KB - 2 downloads)

2018-02-08 8:51 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Share your "go to" indoor bike workout
So what's your favorite workout you follow on your indoor trainer to help kill the boredom? For me, I really need something to break it up so I'm not just staring at the wall or TV...and create intensity with rest periods.

My very basic workout is:

15 minute warm up w/ the last 5 minutes being 5 X 1 @:30 sec 100+ cadence, :30 recovery, all at low resistance
5 X 8:15 with 1:45 rest
5-10 minute cool

That lays in a workout of about 75 to 80 minutes. I'll try to keep my HR in the mid 120's to low 130's with a very consistent cadence in the 80's. Power fluctuates; but I'm shooting for never dropping below 170 watts and not really moving above 190 unless it's getting toward the later sets and I feel like pushing it up a bit. As a distance measurement, the full 10 minute interval/rest are right at about 3 miles.

Depending on available time and fitness level I just add or drop the number of 10 minute intervals.

I could use something new to try. Share yours!

Best,

Steve

2018-02-08 11:30 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: George is a Tri TV star

I just saw the subject heading "Tri TV star".  I really think of myself as pretty quiet - not a star type at all but this has been fun and I'm glad I did it.  

I skipped a run yesterday and then went out with a group of people to celebrate a fellows 6oth b'day.  So I may have blown my weight loss for this week but I did enjoy the beer and I had 3 (I usually don't drink 12 a year total).

For my indoor cycling, I go to a group lead by my coach.  He keeps it pretty interesting and pushes us harder than I would push myself.  I probably wouldn't ride all winter on my own.  Just in the last 3 weeks he started showing videos starting with my video 3 weeks ago and then old (1995) IMKona videos.  I find it distracts from the riding and I tend to ride faster and the time passes more quickly with the videos.  

2018-02-08 6:07 PM

User image

New user

Scott,

LOL, it isn't a lot of math if you just plug numbers into a spreadsheet!  I'm a data geek - guess that flows from being an I.T. Consultant most of my adult life.  I have spreadsheets for everything!  This is just one more excuse to play with numbers.

I work for Geek Squad and I think spreadsheets turn me on now.
2018-02-08 9:56 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I work for Geek Squad and I think spreadsheets turn me on now.

Wow!  Small world.  The woman who Best Buy contracted with to start up the Geek Squad is a real good friend of our family.

Are you in the field or in the shop?

2018-02-08 10:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: George is a Tri TV star

Originally posted by wenceslasz

For my indoor cycling, I go to a group lead by my coach.  He keeps it pretty interesting and pushes us harder than I would push myself.  I probably wouldn't ride all winter on my own.  Just in the last 3 weeks he started showing videos starting with my video 3 weeks ago and then old (1995) IMKona videos.  I find it distracts from the riding and I tend to ride faster and the time passes more quickly with the videos.

I've got the Ironman broadcasts from the past 10 years recorded.  Last year I came across copies of the live stream from 2014, '15, '16 and '17.  That has been REALLY cool.  I'm a huge Sebastian Kienle fan so having the entire stream from 2014 when he won is kinda neat.  There's something like 60-hous of video there so that gives me something interesting to watch.

Those pesky coaches!  Making you do more than you would have done on your own!  

Edited by k9car363 2018-02-08 10:03 PM

2018-02-08 11:08 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Share your "go to" indoor bike workout

Originally posted by lutzman

So what's your favorite workout you follow on your indoor trainer to help kill the boredom? For me, I really need something to break it up so I'm not just staring at the wall or TV...and create intensity with rest periods.

Best, Steve

I don't know that I have a "favorite" trainer ride - it's the trainer.  I'm still getting used to the idea of HAVING to ride on the trainer versus choosing to ride on the trainer like I did when we were in California.  Somehow that makes a HUGE difference.

I follow a reverse-periodization model to guide my training.  That works well as it puts the bike speed/power focus into the winter months.  That means lots of relatively short, high intensity workouts - perfect for short days and being on the trainer.  My average week has a 50-75 minute VO2 MAX interval ride, a 60-75 minute threshold interval ride, and a 75-90 minute Sweet Spot ride.

VO2 MAX example -

10-minute warm-up followed by 4 x 9 minute over/under intervals consisting of 1-minute at 95%, 2-minutes at 105%, each 9-minute block is followed by 5-minutes at 45%.

If I had a favorite trainer ride, it would be a ride similar to this one.  This workout is cumulative - by the time you get to the third 9-minute set, the lights are starting to go out and it's an effort just to stay upright on the bike.  In addition to the physiological benefits of a ride like this, VO2 MAX rides sharpen you mentally and teach you how to overcome pain and discomfort.  I've said for years, one of the biggest mistakes age-group triathletes make is on easy days they don't go easy enough, and on hard days, they don't go hard enough.  This workout will help you go hard enough.

Threshold example -

15-minute warm-up with 2 x 2-minute spin-ups at 105% targeting cadence of 100+ rpm.  Then either 3 x 15 @ 98% or 2 x 20 @ 98%.  Both have 3-minute recovery at 45% between intervals.

This type of workout is just as challenging as a VO2 MAX workout but in a different way.  The VO2 MAX workout had 18-minutes just above threshold.  This one doesn't have the lactate and lactic acid accumulation but you are just below threshold for 40-45 minutes.  Most AG triathlete's time-to-exhaustion is well below an hour so a workout like this could well be a workout to exhaustion - that makes it tough.  That also makes it go by quickly as you need to focus to hold target power.

Sweet Spot example -

15-minute warm-up follow by 3 x 20-minute intervals at 88-94% with 4-minute recovery at 55%.  There's nothing particularly challenging about this type workout - except fighting off the boredom that comes with close to 90-minutes on the trainer.

My biggest thing on the trainer is keep it interesting to fight off the boredom.  Hard intervals do that.

2018-02-09 8:56 AM

User image

Regular

Best, Steve

I don't know that I have a "favorite" trainer ride - it's the trainer. That means lots of relatively short, high intensity workouts - perfect for short days and being on the trainer. .

VO2 MAX example -

10-minute warm-up followed by 4 x 9 minute over/under intervals consisting of 1-minute at 95%, 2-minutes at 105%, each 9-minute block is followed by 5-minutes at 45%.

If I had a favorite trainer ride, it would be a ride similar to this one.  This workout is cumulative - by the time you get to the third 9-minute set, the lights are starting to go out and it's an effort just to stay upright on the bike.  .

Scott:

Really good stuff. Thanks for posting. I'm on the trainer tomorrow so I'm ready to give it a go.

Question on the workout above. On the 4 X 9 minute intervals, it's 1 minute at 95%, 2 minutes at 105%. I'm not clear on what is done for the final 6 minutes ? Full recovery with low resistance spin? Something else?

For folks that are beginning and may not yet track heart rate or perhaps don't have a cadence or power meter, is there a way to summarize these workouts using rate of perceived exertion (RPE)?

Thanks,

Steve
2018-02-09 9:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Best, Steve

I don't know that I have a "favorite" trainer ride - it's the trainer. That means lots of relatively short, high intensity workouts - perfect for short days and being on the trainer. .

VO2 MAX example -

If I had a favorite trainer ride, it would be a ride similar to this one.  This workout is cumulative - by the time you get to the third 9-minute set, the lights are starting to go out and it's an effort just to stay upright on the bike.  .

Scott:

Really good stuff. Thanks for posting. I'm on the trainer tomorrow so I'm ready to give it a go.

Question on the workout above. On the 4 X 9 minute intervals, it's 1 minute at 95%, 2 minutes at 105%. I'm not clear on what is done for the final 6 minutes ? Full recovery with low resistance spin? Something else?

For folks that are beginning and may not yet track heart rate or perhaps don't have a cadence or power meter, is there a way to summarize these workouts using rate of perceived exertion (RPE)?

Thanks, Steve

Hey Steve,

This is a classic over/under workout, or in this case, it's an under/over workout.  I suppose the main interval set should more properly be written as 4 x [3 x (1' @ 95%, 2' @ 105%), 5' @ 45%].  There are 4 nine-minute blocks.  Each 9-minute block is 3 x [1' @ 95%, 2' @ 105%] with 5' @ 45% following the 9-minute block.  So that's more clear, each 9-minute block would be - 1" 95%, 2' 105%, 1' 95%, 2' 105%, 1' 95%, 2' 105%.  Then 5' at 45%.  Repeat that three more times followed by a 5-10 minute EZ spin to cool-down.

Using the RPE scale I attached below, this would be 1' at 7, 2' @ 8, then 5' @ 2.  The idea is to work just under threshold, then just over threshold.  It's pretty easy to tell when you cross threshold because you start getting "the burn."

The "overs" flood your body with metabolic by-products - lactate, lactic acid, etc.  They also train you to work through discomfort while maintaining a high power output.  The "unders" train your body to clear those metabolic by-products.  The workout as a whole will increase aerobic capacity, increase VO2 MAX, increase lactate threshold, improve mitochondrial density and enzyme levels, improve muscular endurance, improve muscular strength, and hurt like hell.  All of that in less than an hour!

Edited by k9car363 2018-02-09 10:00 AM

(RPE-PWR-HR.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
RPE-PWR-HR.jpg (146KB - 3 downloads)
2018-02-09 1:47 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Scott--suggested swim workouts?

Hey Scott:

I feel like I've finally got some base fitness in the pool. So now I think I can start working on stamina and a bit of speed. Hopefully you have a couple of ideas.

Steve

Hey Steve,

Happy to offer some thoughts.

First thing, lose the long sets. 

For the next two-weeks I'd suggest sets of 100's or 200's on short rest (mix it up each week - one week a couple workouts with 200's and one with 100's, the next week reverse it).  Something like 20 x 100 w/15" RI (rest interval) or 10 x 200 w/15" RI. 

Hi Scott:

I got a couple of these workouts in yesterday and today. I was basically swimming +/- 1:40 starting each interval on the 2:00...so close to :20 RI which I needed.

I started to fatigue so a changed it up a bit with 10 X100 on 2:00. Then a 200 fin kick set to get some recovery. I felt like my technique was breaking down a bit so I switched off on the next 10 X 100 on the 2:00 by alternating each 100 with a pull buoy. Doing so kept my /legs up and allowed me to really focus on finishing my stroke correctly.

Good workout! I just have a long way to go!

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Steve
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis
Views: 9855 Posts: 78

2018-08-28 12:53 PM riles32807

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 1017 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa

Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!) Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Baowolf