General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 104

2010-11-02 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2512129

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread
I'm still trying to decide what to wear.  I think it's going to come down to the wire and I am going to wait for the hourly forecast to make a decision.

I had planned on tossable arm warmers (aka an old pair of socks) but for me that will depend on when the temp will get above 60.  I really don't need arm warmers above 60 AT ALL.  If that's an hour after I plan to finish the swim, well, then I'll use old socks.  If that's THREE hours, then I'll wear real arm warmers (which are gonna be a PITA to put on in transition...apparently rolling is the way to go).  I think I am definitely bringing gloves...but again depends on the hourly forecast.

I also haven't figured out if I'm wearing a sleeveless wetsuit or not.  If so then I'll need to throw a shirt on in T1.  Which would be nice because then it would be dry.  I might just do that anyway.  Wear just my sports bras for the swim and throw the shirt on.  It wasn't ALL that hard to just put the shirt on in T1 last time.  I had to do it myself because I was in the peak period of swimmer exit and had no volunteer.  It got a little stuck on my back and I gave up and worked on other stuff.  By the time I was ready to get back around to it a volunteer sneaked up behind me and pulled it down.

There's my other advice...have two plans for your transition...one if you have a volunteer and one if you don't!

I wonder what the water temp will be.....maybe it will ruin everyone's plans and not be wetsuit legal....I would actually love that.

2010-11-02 1:36 PM
in reply to: #3191093

User image

Regular
Madison, AL
The weather is killing me. I like the idea of the socks as arm warmers, but how do they stay on your arm?  You must duct tape them or something?
I have a pair of real arm warmers that I'm definitly not ditching on the course.  But, I might put in Bike SN when I get there.
I'm going to the bike store this afternoon and buying a pair of toe covers, and maybe wool socks.  I get crazy cold feet.
2010-11-02 1:56 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

OK deep breaths everyone.................I am FROM FLORIDA...and train in stupid hotness all year.  I have done this race 3 times including 2006 the worst weather in the history of IMFL with a starting temp of 31 on the beach and it MIGHT have broken 70 that day.  I wore 1-Trishorts all day no toe covers knee warmers etc 2-sports bra 3-tri top 4-bike shirt 5-armwarmers 6-Long sleeved tech shirt on top 7 gloves which I ditched by mile 10,  I ditched the top layer mile 70ish and wore the rest the whole time and I was fine.  In '08 and '09 I did teh same thing but no top layer and no gloves.  Ditched the arm warmers at SN and was FINE.  On the run same thing all 3 years, tri shorts, sports bra, tri top and for the second loop long sleeved tech shirt.  Definately be prepared but I thik you all from up north are getting worked into a freenzy for nothing.

2010-11-02 2:11 PM

User image

Elite
SE
way to bring some authority to the table Socks!

I'm wondering about ideal racing weight sorts of things. I usually have my best bricks when I am super hydrated and took in ample sodium in the days leading up the brick, also getting good sleep, cutting back alcohol to some degree, and avoiding spicy or greasy foods.

Are any of you liquid and/or sodium pre-loading?
2010-11-02 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, VA
I carbo loaded a pitcher of Yuengling watching the Giants win (!!!!!) last night. Gonna cut back to a simple glass or 2 of red every night. Heart healthy, right? Carbo loading and constantly hydrating starts today. Of course, I'm a rookie with no coach, so, please, do not try this at home.
2010-11-02 2:57 PM
in reply to: #3191272

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

phatknot - 2010-11-02 3:11 PM way to bring some authority to the table Socks!

I'm wondering about ideal racing weight sorts of things. I usually have my best bricks when I am super hydrated and took in ample sodium in the days leading up the brick, also getting good sleep, cutting back alcohol to some degree, and avoiding spicy or greasy foods.

Are any of you liquid and/or sodium pre-loading?

I operate on a KISS program.  And I don't like STUFF on me so no carrying the kitchen sink around either. 

RE hydration....I'm pretty much always well hydrated.  No worries.  Sodium? hate the stuff so no way.  Its going to be probably 20 degrees colder than what I usually train in so I probably won't take as much supplementation as I usually do.  I'm a pretty low key racer. 

2010-11-02 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3191153

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
ironeric2010 - 2010-11-02 2:36 PM The weather is killing me. I like the idea of the socks as arm warmers, but how do they stay on your arm?  You must duct tape them or something?
I have a pair of real arm warmers that I'm definitly not ditching on the course.  But, I might put in Bike SN when I get there.
I'm going to the bike store this afternoon and buying a pair of toe covers, and maybe wool socks.  I get crazy cold feet.

Staples. Laughing

I agree with Socks.  Slow. Deep. Breaths. Our weather here in SC PA has been like that for the past month - 40-50 in the a.m, and highs in the mid-60's - 80 in the afternoon.  It's really not too bad at all once you get moving and your core temp goes up.  Dress in layers that can be pealed off and dropped in your SN bags if you're too warm, and have some extras in the SN bags in case another layer is needed later.  It sounds SO much better than 90 degrees!
2010-11-02 3:21 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
I'm not freaking out.  Just trying to wear the minimal gear possible.  I HATE having to carry extra crap.  I know from some early morning rides that at 60 degrees I can wear just shorts/shirt.  So, I will wait for the hourly forecast to make a final decision.  At a minimum I will probably wear my "sock arm warmers" though, no matter what the predicted temp.

As for the socks...that's why they are a temporary type thing, not long term.  You don't duct tape them or anything.  Just take a pair of old socks that are kind of long enough for your arm and cut off the tip...I wasn't going to do anything else to them.
2010-11-02 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3190115

User image

Master
Daffodil - 2010-11-02 6:18 AM

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AiVqTq0cD6qXdGF6UGp3RXVCam5FMllvaDAwNGoyVUE&authkey=CMX4yb4I&hl=en#gid=0

This is the tracking spreadsheet, can some people try to open it and see if it can be changed by people other than me?  I guess now that it is created, people should be able to go in and change their info themselves.  I'll post on the main Irondistance forum sometime on Friday.  Until then just sharing with you guys (and of course any lurkers).

Could you remove my name from the tracking list? I tried but couldn't get it to save. Thanks.
Have a great race everyone.
2010-11-02 4:36 PM
in reply to: #3191670

User image

Expert
Yeah, no problem.  I wasn't sure if I should keep it in case others would be wondering why you weren't on it.  I will remove tonight or tomorrow.

Catwoman - 2010-11-02 5:19 PM
Daffodil - 2010-11-02 6:18 AM https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AiVqTq0cD6qXdGF6UGp3RXVCam5FMllvaDAwNGoyVUE&authkey=CMX4yb4I&hl=en#gid=0

This is the tracking spreadsheet, can some people try to open it and see if it can be changed by people other than me?  I guess now that it is created, people should be able to go in and change their info themselves.  I'll post on the main Irondistance forum sometime on Friday.  Until then just sharing with you guys (and of course any lurkers).
Could you remove my name from the tracking list? I tried but couldn't get it to save. Thanks. Have a great race everyone.
2010-11-02 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3191207

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Socks - 2010-11-02 2:56 PM

OK deep breaths everyone.................I am FROM FLORIDA...and train in stupid hotness all year.  I have done this race 3 times including 2006 the worst weather in the history of IMFL with a starting temp of 31 on the beach and it MIGHT have broken 70 that day.  I wore 1-Trishorts all day no toe covers knee warmers etc 2-sports bra 3-tri top 4-bike shirt 5-armwarmers 6-Long sleeved tech shirt on top 7 gloves which I ditched by mile 10,  I ditched the top layer mile 70ish and wore the rest the whole time and I was fine.  In '08 and '09 I did teh same thing but no top layer and no gloves.  Ditched the arm warmers at SN and was FINE.  On the run same thing all 3 years, tri shorts, sports bra, tri top and for the second loop long sleeved tech shirt.  Definately be prepared but I thik you all from up north are getting worked into a freenzy for nothing.

Thank you!!  I wasn't freaking out about clothing, but I was starting to get a little paranoid when other people were going crazy.  I was just going to wear tri shorts (swim and bike) and maybe a dry pair for the run, and then a (black, this is important) sports bra under my wetsuit, adding a short sleeve bike jersey and arm warmers in T1.  I'll switch to a dry run top in T2 (same wet bra, but oh well), and have a long sleeve shirt in my special needs bag if I get cold.  I run down to about 50 degrees or so in shorts and short sleeves though, so I'm not super worried.  The organized century ride we did was cold at the start, and my arm warmers were enough...I couldn't feel my toes for a couple of hours, but no feeling is better than pain, right??  :-

2010-11-02 6:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Washington, Georgia
Hello everyone.  I am the "ghost", so mostly lurking for me over the past year.  Along with lurking, Phatknot is a training buddy of mine, so I feel like I know everyone anyway.  Wishing everyone safe travels, and a "safe and good race".  I will be at PCB tomorrow around 1:00-ish.  Hope to meet some of you this week.  

Phat- as to your question about nutrition.  I am thinking increased sodium beginning Thursday (not too much, but a little more), and decreased fiber beginning NOON on Thursday. The weather won't be too hot, so sodium loading may be more than needed, but definitely a pasta dinner on Friday. As for hydration, I think hydrating a tad more than you normally do should do the trick. Two beers a night, and only one on Friday night. Nothing new this week for sure! 

The weather is throwing me for a loop too.  Phatknot made the suggestion of a throw-away sweatshirt or teck shirt on the bike, along with gloves.  Planning on ditching the sweatshirt when the temps get in the upper 50's (wind may change that), then gloves if I have to.  I bought a $3.00 sweatshirt yesterday that I may wear, but I agree with some who have said to wait until we can see the hourly forecast.  

The possibility of choppy water is what is concerning me the most.  I did Gulf Coast this year, and was hoping that was the worse that the swim course could be, but not wanting to do two loops of that! Hoping the weather gods will be good to us.  

Take Care!

2010-11-02 6:38 PM
in reply to: #3191869

User image

Regular

planning on trying to get in a swim in the AM.  Gonna try and be out on the beach around 645-700.  Never done a race in the gulf before so a little skiddish about the swim.  hoping that getting a loop in or at least some time in the deep water will calm my nerves.  just a few more days! 

2010-11-02 6:46 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

I made it. got to stick my feet in the Gulf, lovely!

Now to unpack, put the bike together, then dinner.

Swim tomorrow.  Group meeting on the boardwalk at ~8:00 for those who want to.

2010-11-02 8:55 PM

User image

Olathe, KS

Just wanted to check in.  I've been lurking since this thread was in the 80's which is about the same time that I started considering doing IMFL in 2012.  I just wanted to let you know that I will be routing for all of you this weekend.  All of the hard work is in, so get out there and enjoy it.  I'm so jealous of all of you and can't wait to take my first stab at IM in 2012 (hoping to head down and volunteer in 2011).

I've learned a lot over the last couple of months reading all of your posts!!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

2010-11-02 9:48 PM
in reply to: #3192079

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
happily watching the returns in my Panama City hotel, plan on being on the beach at about 7am for a 1 lap swim, hope to see u'all around 8 @ the boardwalk?

2010-11-03 6:10 AM

User image

Champion
MA
I arrived last night. Trying to manage bike box and my luggage alone was a bit of challenge. I miss my family and IronSherpa who helps me. I'm swimming soon then picking up son from airport and Kevin & girls arrive tomorrow evening. I'll put my bike together with my son's help then go for a short spin on bike course.

If I ride and it's 60 I'm cold. But I think MA 60 with lots of shade may be different than FL 60. When it is high of 60 I wear leg warms and some type of jacket.

I had a couple bad rides this fall where I felt awful from being cold, just couldn't warm up even after adding clothes and pulled the plug on the ride.

Depends on weather forecast but I'd prefer to be overdressed and ditch things at aid station than cold for 3+ hours...but that's just me.  Key is to know yourself and trust what you know to be true for you weather wise.

Last night it was raining on and off, and should be next 2 days.
2010-11-03 7:03 AM

User image

Regular
Dallas, TX

just printed off my boarding pass!!!! i still have to work 8.5 hours today so this is gonna be the longest day EVER 

last night i picked up the bike box i'm renting and it only has ONE wheel on it! so lugging it around the airport and then the hotel tonight is gonna be a pain in the AZZ!! but i got the bike all packed up! in the process i realized i don't have all the tools i need! time to buy more! lol. i fogot that my new pedals require a 18mm allen wrench and not a pedal wrench. silly me.

2010-11-03 7:53 AM
in reply to: #3192336

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
Am I the only one who is concerned with the lack of light at swim start?

In this race tinted goggles are a must, but it is REALLY dark at 7 am right now.  The difference in time change this year is adding a wrinkle I did not think would be this problematic.  What is the distance to the first run bouy?  I mean, 7+ minutes just straight out, no navigation in almot dark is doable, but certainly not ideal.

Edited by LSUfan4444 2010-11-03 7:55 AM
2010-11-03 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3187352

User image

New user

Milwaukee WI
I wanted to thank you for your encouragement. I am going to do my best I trained as hard as I could given the constraints of work and family and we will have to see what happens. I have to stop worrying because it is doing nothing positive.

Matt
2010-11-03 8:14 AM

User image

New user

Milwaukee WI
I wanted to thank Kathy G and Amy for their encouraging words. This will be the first race I have been at where I will not know anyone and the encouragement was helpful. I will be stay a couple miles down the road at the Days inn, on the beach, as the Boardwalk would only let you book 4 nights and I needed only 3. I am very concerned about the weather. It does not look good at all. However there is still time for it change. I arrive tomorrow AM about 11:00am or 12:00PM. I going right to check in then to the expo. After that I have to check in at the hotel. After that I would like to go for a swim and/or drive the course. If anyone wants to get together or reach me then can at 414-467-1464.

Matt

2010-11-03 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3192430

User image

Regular
Dallas, TX
LSUfan4444 - 2010-11-03 7:53 AM Am I the only one who is concerned with the lack of light at swim start?

In this race tinted goggles are a must, but it is REALLY dark at 7 am right now.  The difference in time change this year is adding a wrinkle I did not think would be this problematic.  What is the distance to the first run bouy?  I mean, 7+ minutes just straight out, no navigation in almot dark is doable, but certainly not ideal.

every video i've seen of past IM FL swim starts have been in complete and total sunshine. even w/ the time change i don't think we'll be in anything close to swimming in darkness.
2010-11-03 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3192502

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
swam a lap (sort of) of the course this morning with Kathy, Jasha & Eric, there are a few really small white markers - 7am start is light (this morning was pretty overcast), water temp is nice & visability was fair (saw bottom entire way) was a little rolly. stood around chatting for about 1/2hr after swim & didn't get cold - even though there was no sunshine.
2010-11-03 9:28 AM

User image

Regular
Madison, AL
Am I the only one who is concerned with the lack of light at swim start?

Sunrise is going to be at 6:30, so I would imagine that it won't be an issue for the 7 a.m. start.  I'm just bought a pair of metallized goggles, as the sun coming over the horizon will be pretty fierce. 

Time change (end of DST) doesn't go into effect until Sunday, so also not an issue, unless you finish after midnight Wink

I'm heading out this afternoon and hope to be down there around 10 p.m.   Good luck folks!
2010-11-03 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

We swam this morning at 7:00.  The light was fine. When they actually have bouys out they should be fairly easy to see.   Kathy was able to spot the tiny, tiny white maker bouys even with the swell.  Seriously these little balls are much smaller than your head.  In past years there has been a big white boat directly out from the turn bouy, and it's easy to see.  For me, I just follow the crowd.

the water is awesome! coolish, but comfortable.  I was happy that this was a "big" surf day with 2-3 foot waves and some swell.  The waves and swell is what worries me and I was glad to be able to play in it today, and I was fine.

We did a little out, across, and back.  As usual breathing was more difficult swimming into the wind.  There's something about the way the waves break across my head.  But that said I got a couple of mouthfulls of salt water - no big deal.

It was good to meet Eric and Glen.  The four of us are planning to find each other around noon in the exhibition area - in front of the main tent and go find some lunch.  Y'all are welcome to join if you want.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 104