General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2011-07-14 10:13 PM
in reply to: #3596737

User image

Grant, MI
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread

First an admission and an apology:  Being technology challenged, I wasn’t sure how to load a px with my posts.  Not wanting to be a complete stranger when we start meeting at Lake Placid, I told my kids I should finally add a px.  Later one of my sons who is also doing LP, told me to read one of the latest posts, causing me to discover they had helped me out and loaded a px for me.  My apology for how big it is – I didn’t mean for it to take so much room, but am not sure how to shrink it down.

Just completed 2 days of training that I’m sure was different than anyone else’s – had a colonoscopy today, meaning yesterday and this morning was prep day.  This meant a 6 mile run yesterday before starting the prep and biking on a spin bike in the basement before today’s exam.  Prep   clear liquids, and NPO are not exactly the best way to carb load though. 

Hi IMLPeeps! I had an idea that I thought might catch on, who knows? I thought it might be cool to read some of the best training moments everyone has had leading up to the race. Reading stuff like that is inspirational to me and thought it might be for others too.

I don’t know if these should be considered best training moments or craziest training moments, but a few of mine were:

A night run which found me running into the teeth of a very strong wind during a major blizzard (could hardly see or keep my footing) trying to prove that it could not stop me.  The blizzard was so bad that it shut life down for a couple of days – but not my run!

Running in a torrential rainstorm in which a driver stopped and asked if he could give me a lift somewhere and looking at me like I was absolutely crazy when I politely refused by saying I had to get more time in yet.

Finishing a 105 miles of hill after hill after having bike trouble, causing me to struggle through many of these hills in my big ring.  My husband and sons told me to just wait for a SAG vehicle, but that was NOT on my training plan.  Not only did I finish but I made it up “the wall” towards the end without having to get off and walk my bike.

Completing my first HIM when I thought they would need to bring in a large spatula to scrape me off the hot road during the run portion.

Finishing a long swim and having a neighbor clap because we had swam for so long.

Every time I found myself struggling through a difficult situation, I encouraged myself by reminding myself this is how I get ready to become an Ironman.

And on the positive side - spending time with my husband and sons on long bike rides which included riding out to Lake Michigan on a gorgeous summer day, meeting at a town located between us and eating an ice cream cone in a park before returning to our respective ways, riding bike trails all over town.

Looking back, it’s been quite the journey, no matter what the outcome.

2011-07-14 11:33 PM
in reply to: #3596737

User image

Veteran
Boston
RJohnson1979 - 2011-07-14 3:11 PM

some of the best training moments everyone has had leading up to the race.

My moments are a bit different over the past year:

1.  Completing my first triathlon ever in July of 2010 (NJ State Sprint)

2.  Dropping below 200 lbs for the first time in 10 years.

3.  Dropping below 180 lbs for the first time since college! (40 lbs lost in 18 months)

4.  Having to donate just about all of my clothes and jackets since they no longer fit!

5.  Finally being able to link pool laps together and going from 4 to over 40 overnight.

6.  First Sprint Tri in a training and blowing away my time from last year.

7.  First open water swim of 1.5 miles and it was EASY!

8.  First century ride.

9.  First run over 10 miles since my Army days.

10.  Running 3 mile "warmups" now just for fun.

11.  Dreading that first ride in pouring rain and actually loving it!

12.  Doing multiple HIMs in training and having energy afterwards.

13.  Meeting Dave Scott in person and having him wish me luck!

Looking forward to...

1. Hearing my name announced as I cross the finish line.

2. Knowing that my family worked just as hard (or harder) at this so I could train and spending a LOT more time with them (I owe them big time!)

3.  Running the Boston Half Marathon in October and thinking how easy it will be.

4.  Meeting fellow BT members who have provided laughs, moral support, advice, and peer-insanity during this journey.

5. Being able to withdraw from the training that I've banked over the past several months.

6. Knowing that I'm not the only one who is nervous, anxious, and wondering if I've done enough for this race.

7. Large, cold beer at the end of the race!

2011-07-15 5:42 AM
in reply to: #3098185

User image

Regular

my "best of" training moments:

overall... having the courage to commit day in and day out!!

-doing multipl 2-3 hour trainer session, difficult, but im always amazed that i can get through it !

-racing a half marathon the day after an 85 mile bike and feeling good!

-swimming 4k yards= CAKE

-running a 13.5 mile trail race , with the first 3 miles taking me 1 hr due to 2200 ft elevation gain, then finishing and continuing down the road for 3 more miles to get my 16 miler in!

-riding my first 100 miler, wasn't so bad!

2011-07-15 6:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit

1. First sprint tri. (Beating my younger brother in law)

2. Biking and running in the rain felt normal. Swimming in the rain is just plain weird.

3. Stopping to help a runner in distress during my HIM.

4. Online regestration for LP. Phew S T R E S S.

5. 2nd in my age group for a mile swim.

6. Buying my big boy bike.

7. Playing in the surf of Lake Michigan and having a blast like a little kid.

2011-07-15 7:11 AM

Veteran
Vicksburg
There have been some up and downs but specifically two things that really encouraged me.  Racing a HIM and beating my open Half-marathon run time.  I was pumped about that.  The other was after racing Kansas 70.3 the next weekend I had my first 100 mile ride I have ever done.  I was a little intimidated being I was doing it by myself.  I kept it very easy for the first half of the ride and I remember feeling very good at mile 70 and I told myself YOU GOT THIS.  I laid the hammer down for the remaining 30 miles and immediatly did a 45 min. brick afterwards and I was surprised how good my legs felt.  
2011-07-15 8:18 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
The 10 day forcast is FINALLY up:
Low: 54
High: 76
20% chance of rain
61% humidity
wind: WNW @7mph
Sunrise: 5:35
Sunset: 8:30

I am sure that is accurate - I mean it's just science...At least the sunrise/sunset part, right? Right?

Awesome reflections on the year everybody - really nice to read through them.

ETA HTML breaks and paragraphs - sorry about that.

Edited by TankBoy 2011-07-15 8:23 AM

2011-07-15 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3597098

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
There are some vids on youtube on riding up and down. the descent is touted to be one of the greatest bike descents according to ... outside mag
2011-07-15 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3597819

User image

Veteran
Boston
TankBoy - 2011-07-15 9:18 AM The 10 day forcast is FINALLY up:
20% chance of rain
61% humidity

I am sure that is accurate - I mean it's just science...At least the sunrise/sunset part, right? Right?

I'm actually getting a kick out of watching the weather - it's taking my mind of the nerves.  If you watch the forecast it changes several times during the day.  Yesterday showed rain, then hot/humid, then warm/sunny.  Today shows thunderstorms on one site and partly cloudy on another.  Then again, I'm kind of expecting to see just about all of that on the same day.

Anybody else bringing young kids there?  My girls are 5 and 8 and looking for fun things to do with them up there.  I'm sure they will thoroughly enjoy driving the bike loop and watching daddy ride some of the hills to get a feel for them (not) but interested in what we can do that is fun for them and allows me to rest for the race at the same time.  Hopefully weather will support hanging out by the lake.

2011-07-15 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3597841

User image

Veteran
Boston

c2fd - 2011-07-15 9:31 AM There are some vids on youtube on riding up and down. the descent is touted to be one of the greatest bike descents according to ... outside mag

I just watched one and was thinking how much fun it is going to be... then realized how much climbing is coming to make up for that fun.

2011-07-15 9:08 AM

User image

Regular

the decent is long and fast.........everyone be careful!

the uphill is , well, a slow climb up.....but it will get done !

2011-07-15 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3597861

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
mogulbumm - 2011-07-15 9:41 AM
TankBoy - 2011-07-15 9:18 AM The 10 day forcast is FINALLY up:
20% chance of rain
61% humidity

I'm actually getting a kick out of watching the weather - it's taking my mind of the nerves.  If you watch the forecast it changes several times during the day.  Yesterday showed rain, then hot/humid, then warm/sunny.  Today shows thunderstorms on one site and partly cloudy on another.  Then again, I'm kind of expecting to see just about all of that on the same day.

Anybody else bringing young kids there?  My girls are 5 and 8 and looking for fun things to do with them up there.  I'm sure they will thoroughly enjoy driving the bike loop and watching daddy ride some of the hills to get a feel for them (not) but interested in what we can do that is fun for them and allows me to rest for the race at the same time.  Hopefully weather will support hanging out by the lake.

I say ckunst has this problem figured out: couldn't you just have your kids do the race with you?   Laughing

2011-07-15 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3597932

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
6226chels - 2011-07-15 9:08 AM

As long as fast as it is, are you guys watching the tour this year?  Just got into the mountains yesterday and that's some long and fast descending and brutal climbing!

2011-07-15 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3597964

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
acumenjay - 2011-07-15 10:20 AM
6226chels - 2011-07-15 9:08 AM

As long as fast as it is, are you guys watching the tour this year?  Just got into the mountains yesterday and that's some long and fast descending and brutal climbing!

Absolutely, glued to the set. The only reason I selected LP as my IM race this year is because the mountain stages coincide PERFECTLY with my taper. OK, not really, but still, timing couldn't be better.

2011-07-15 11:37 AM

User image

Thanks to Versus and Universal Sports (and dvr technology, so I can watch at night when the kiddies are sleeping ) I've watched Tour de Oman, Paris Niece, Criterium du Dauphne, Tour de Suisse, Paris Roubaix, Giro d'Italia, Milan-San Remo, Tireno Adriatico, Tour of California ... and of course, Tour de France   I'm still in shock that half the GC favorites are done due to crashes.  So far I gotta say Frank Schleck looks the best.  If he puts in enough time in the mountains, and can have a respectable time trial, he will win this year.  I think Andy is way to obsessed with Contador and that will be his downfall because Contador left his climbing legs back on the Giro tour and will be lucky to crack the top ten.  Cadel will finish as a bridesmaid again, is my guess.    
2011-07-15 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3597469

User image

Regular
ckunst - 2011-07-14 10:13 PM

First an admission and an apology:  Being technology challenged, I wasn’t sure how to load a px with my posts.  Not wanting to be a complete stranger when we start meeting at Lake Placid, I told my kids I should finally add a px.  Later one of my sons who is also doing LP, told me to read one of the latest posts, causing me to discover they had helped me out and loaded a px for me.  My apology for how big it is – I didn’t mean for it to take so much room, but am not sure how to shrink it down.

Just completed 2 days of training that I’m sure was different than anyone else’s – had a colonoscopy today, meaning yesterday and this morning was prep day.  This meant a 6 mile run yesterday before starting the prep and biking on a spin bike in the basement before today’s exam.  Prep   clear liquids, and NPO are not exactly the best way to carb load though. 

Hi IMLPeeps! I had an idea that I thought might catch on, who knows? I thought it might be cool to read some of the best training moments everyone has had leading up to the race. Reading stuff like that is inspirational to me and thought it might be for others too.

I don’t know if these should be considered best training moments or craziest training moments, but a few of mine were:

A night run which found me running into the teeth of a very strong wind during a major blizzard (could hardly see or keep my footing) trying to prove that it could not stop me.  The blizzard was so bad that it shut life down for a couple of days – but not my run!

Running in a torrential rainstorm in which a driver stopped and asked if he could give me a lift somewhere and looking at me like I was absolutely crazy when I politely refused by saying I had to get more time in yet.

Finishing a 105 miles of hill after hill after having bike trouble, causing me to struggle through many of these hills in my big ring.  My husband and sons told me to just wait for a SAG vehicle, but that was NOT on my training plan.  Not only did I finish but I made it up “the wall” towards the end without having to get off and walk my bike.

Completing my first HIM when I thought they would need to bring in a large spatula to scrape me off the hot road during the run portion.

Finishing a long swim and having a neighbor clap because we had swam for so long.

Every time I found myself struggling through a difficult situation, I encouraged myself by reminding myself this is how I get ready to become an Ironman.

And on the positive side - spending time with my husband and sons on long bike rides which included riding out to Lake Michigan on a gorgeous summer day, meeting at a town located between us and eating an ice cream cone in a park before returning to our respective ways, riding bike trails all over town.

Looking back, it’s been quite the journey, no matter what the outcome.

I think its amazing that you and your son are doing Lake placid!! What an incredible day it will be for both of you, and you will share that forever and ever!! I can never imagine my mom/dad doing an IM with me....it would truly be one of the greatest days in my life! kudos to you both!

2011-07-15 2:44 PM

Regular
Annapolis, MD
Had my last set of x-rays today and the screws are still in place. Doc has given me the green light so .....I AM RACING LAKE PLACID NEXT WEEKEND. So thankful I continued training even during the recovery (my logs show over 25 hrs. of trainer rides over the past two and a half weeks....at least I will be mentally tough!)

It will be four weeks ago tomorrow that I had my crash...ER nurses said to forget about the race..its not going to happen this year. It would take a miracle. Well fellow IM-LP peeps, my bib number is 1980.  A race in Lake Placid with that number?...are you kidding me? Do you believe in miracles?? Yes!!

Going up on Tuesday and will likely swim a lap Wednesday morning and Friday morning, say around 8am. Let me know if anyone wants to get together for a swim or a short ride.

Jeff

2011-07-15 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3598670

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA

tripadigin - 2011-07-15 3:44 PM Had my last set of x-rays today and the screws are still in place. Doc has given me the green light so .....I AM RACING LAKE PLACID NEXT WEEKEND. So thankful I continued training even during the recovery (my logs show over 25 hrs. of trainer rides over the past two and a half weeks....at least I will be mentally tough!)

It will be four weeks ago tomorrow that I had my crash...ER nurses said to forget about the race..its not going to happen this year. It would take a miracle. Well fellow IM-LP peeps, my bib number is 1980.  A race in Lake Placid with that number?...are you kidding me? Do you believe in miracles?? Yes!!

Going up on Tuesday and will likely swim a lap Wednesday morning and Friday morning, say around 8am. Let me know if anyone wants to get together for a swim or a short ride.

Jeff

Congrats, that is fantastic!!!!  Great job staying positive and focused.

And your race number is so awesome!  you lucky dog.  It was meant to be.   ..."AGAIN!"...

2011-07-15 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3598683

Regular
Annapolis, MD
gergzos - 2011-07-15 3:50 PM

tripadigin - 2011-07-15 3:44 PM Had my last set of x-rays today and the screws are still in place. Doc has given me the green light so .....I AM RACING LAKE PLACID NEXT WEEKEND. So thankful I continued training even during the recovery (my logs show over 25 hrs. of trainer rides over the past two and a half weeks....at least I will be mentally tough!)

Jeff

Congrats, that is fantastic!!!!  Great job staying positive and focused.

And your race number is so awesome!  you lucky dog.  It was meant to be.   ..."AGAIN!"...

Best part of the movie!!

2011-07-15 3:04 PM

User image

New user

Jeff

Hooray!  Glad to hear you got the green light.  Your race number is quite honestly the BEST # you could get!!

2011-07-15 3:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Walworth (Gananda), NY
tripadigin - 2011-07-15 3:44 PM

Had my last set of x-rays today and the screws are still in place. Doc has given me the green light so .....I AM RACING LAKE PLACID NEXT WEEKEND. So thankful I continued training even during the recovery (my logs show over 25 hrs. of trainer rides over the past two and a half weeks....at least I will be mentally tough!)

Jeff

THAT IS GREAT NEWS!!! I also bet a lot of people hope they get that number for this race.
2011-07-15 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston

Jeff

Awesome news!  If that's not good Karma, I don't know what is...

2011-07-15 5:31 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Jeff

Jeff - that is simply fantastic news - really, really glad to hear it.
Awesome number - couldn't be more fitting!

2011-07-15 5:33 PM

Veteran

Jeff

Seriously awesome news!

2011-07-15 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3596552

User image

RalBorseth - 2011-07-14 12:35 PM
TankBoy - 2011-07-13 6:26 PM
RalBorseth - 2011-07-13 7:02 PM
mrbbrad - 2011-07-12 2:18 PM
Fred Doucette - 2011-07-12 3:08 PM
docswim24 - 2011-07-12 2:50 PM
mrbbrad - 2011-07-12 2:42 PM

Fred Doucette - 2011-07-12 1:58 PM

I do have a way to make a garmin 305 last a whole ironman though....

Finish under 10:00?

Use a speed sensor so the Garmin is not using power to track satellites?
yes, that's it.

Sweet, I already have that covered!

I've got a Garmin 305. I'd like to be able to use it for the whole race. How do you use the speed sensor. How does it extend your battery life? Do you have to take it with you on the bike?

Thanks,

Ralph

Ralph - what you are looking for is the Garmin GSC 10 speed/Cadence sensor. ( http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Speed-Cadence-Bike-Sensor/dp/B000BFNOT... ). The picture that they currently show on Amazon is of a watch for some reason, but the info is otherwise correct. It mounts to your left rear chainstay and basically counts the rotations of your rear wheel via a magnet mounted on one of your spokes and then calculates distance based on the circumference of the wheel I don't have the 305, but if it works liek the other garmin units I have then it will use gps data to calculate the exact circumference of your wheel. Very accurate. A separate magnet can also send you cadence data from your left crank arm. With the GSC 10 synced up to your 305, You then turn off the GPS receiver on the 305, which is the primary battery hog in the unit. You won't get a route plotted of your ride, but the battery will last MUCH longer - a good tradeoff for many.

What do you do when you get to the run? Turn on the GPS?

Bumping to the top. Anyone?

2011-07-15 8:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
tripadigin - 2011-07-15 2:44 PM Had my last set of x-rays today and the screws are still in place. Doc has given me the green light so .....I AM RACING LAKE PLACID NEXT WEEKEND. So thankful I continued training even during the recovery (my logs show over 25 hrs. of trainer rides over the past two and a half weeks....at least I will be mentally tough!)

Jeff

I'm leaving Va Beach for LP on Tue also, maybe see you Wed for swim, do you have cast on your hands?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 112